On location: Indianapolis 14, Syracuse 6

INDIANAPOLIS — Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Indianapolis (32-23) vs. Syracuse (26-29), Class AAA International League

Time: 1:15 p.m.

Site: Victory Field, Indianapolis

Here is the live box score.

And here is the Indians” lineup vs. Syracuse RHP Mitch Atkins

1. Alex Presley, LF
  2. Chase d’Arnaud, SS
  3. Starling Marte, CF
  4. Jeff Larish, 1B
  5. Jose Morales, C
  6. Brandon Boggs, RF
  7. Anderson Hernandez, 2B
  8. Brian Friday, SS
  9. Daniel Cabrera, RHP

This is a very nice place, if you haven’t been here …

UPDATE 11:54 a.m.: Jeff Clement hit for the cycle last night, but he didn’t realize it, even though the last hit was a triple. A Syracuse coach had to inform him. “The ONLY way I’m getting a triple is if it goes to left-center,” he said of the deepest part of Victory Field. Clement has an eight-game hitting streak (13-for-31), and told me his knees are mostly healthy. “They’re feeling as good as they’ve felt.” Manager Dean Treanor said Clement’s hits right now are “LOUD!”

12:02: Part of my conversation with Starling Marte

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teE8Gu4Tbj0

Much more on Marte in Monday’s column.

1:15: First pitch from Cabrera to Corey Brown, 76 degrees, mostly sunny.

1:20: Really nice running catch by Marte in right-center. Great jump, long gallop, really makes those look easy. If Cutch makes that, it’s a highlight.

1:32: Wonderful first AB for Marte just now. Lays off two REALLY close pitches to get count to 2-2 — curve inside, slider just off the plate — then drives double inside RF chalk. He worked to earn the fastball. That’s the No. 1 thing the Pirates want to see from Marte, and he’s doing it. “I feel good about my strike zone now,” Marte told me earlier today. “Much smaller now.” Treanor confirmed that assessment.

1:56: Two-run, one-handed single to left by d’Arnaud, who wisely takes second on the throw to the plate. It’s 3-0 for your Triple-As.

3:05: Just asked Neal Huntington about Marte’s next step. Some of his reply: “What we’re looking for is consistent application of his skills. He has shown improvement in his ability to command the strike zone, even for somewhat extended periods of time. Now, we just need to help him lock in to a point where we feel he is ready to challenge major league pitching. … When we believe Starling is in a position to apply his tools consistently enough to help us win, he will be ready for a callup.”

4:45: That’s ball game. Took forever.

If you remember what Presley looked like at his hottest for the Pirates last summer, that’s what I’m seeing here. And I’ll be surprised, honestly, if he stays much longer, especially with Jose Tabata limping around. Doesn’t make much sense on either end. Presley has gone 3 for 4 today with two walks, and the walks are what management’s wanted to see more than anything. He’s on a 15-for-41 roll now after a slow start.

I have room in the SUV. He can come back with me.

Comments

1. JMB says:

Daniel Cabrera is still kicking around?!

I remember when he was a potential flame-throwing stud for B’more.

DK: Yeah, well, I’m two stories above home plate, and I still might be ducking.

2. Playoffs by 2012 says:

DK, live and in person in Indianapolis. Hope he says hello to Ann Romano and Dwayne Schneider (if anyone gets that reference, you’ll make the window very happy)!! With that said, the window is happy to bring you……

The SPECIAL AAA Edition OVER / UNDER (always for fun of course)

Today’s Line:

Total Combined Hits for Alex Presley and Chase d’Arnaud
    Line is 3.5

Anyone can play!! Everyone should TRY!! What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY LINE ***

bob hasis -25
    bman -30
    JohninOshkosh -50
    TDB1977 -60
    Milo Hamilton -100
    Arriba Wilver -125

First Place end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Runner-up at the end of the season will win:
    (1) 2012 Topps Roberto Clemente Card

@Playoffs:

Taking it one day at a time, Window.

25 over, if you please.

Dejan: Hope you and your car are avoiding Muncie Law Enforcement today.

DK: Funny you bring that up. Actually crossed my mind as soon as I crossed the state line this morning. Yeah, I’m kind of observing the speed limit.

4. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@John, thank you for getting the reference. The window give you a big thumb’s up for that. You got it and good luck!!

@Playoffs:

Easy reference for me. I watched that show every week. There wasn’t a boy in my grade who wasn’t in love with Barbara Cooper (Valerie Bertinelli ). Still pretty hot, I must say.

6. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@John, the window concurs with you.

7. LuckyNKentucky says:

DK on prospect watch. Great assignment. Give Starling, Chase and Alex our best. Wish Clement could hit for the cycle for the Bucs.

8. LuckyNKentucky says:

Nice interview. Seems like a good kid. Nice shot of the first pitch during the National Anthem, too.

DK down on the farm? That man really cannot sit still, can he?

Kudos for putting in the leg work. Looking forward to the column.

10. I’d love to be sitting right beside you, Dejan, to pick your brain between innings.

I would love to see that lineup play together, especially D’Arnaud, Marte, Presley, and Friday.

I’m also wondering if Clement is a playa——or if he is Steve Pierce (who is starting in right field today for the Orioles!)

11. Your 1:32 comment is music to our ears!!

We look forward to your column tomorrow. I am already inferring that you thing Marte will be with the big club before Presley returns.

12. Playoffs by 2012 says:

d’Arnaud knocks in 2 for Indy……BarmEs gives up 2 for Pittsburgh

13. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Presley and d’Arnaud easily cover the OVER in Indy.

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOALS
    tmp444 EVEN
    bob hasis -25
    TDB1977 -60
    Milo Hamilton -100
    Arriba Wilver -125

14. LikeaBugonaRug says:

And now Barmes takes one deep to give the Hammer a little cushion. Let’s shut ‘em down and head to Cincy a game over .500!

15. LikeaBugonaRug says:

And Joel needs it, too. But, a win is a win is a win.

16. John Lease says:

The Indians are RAKING. And that was without Clement in the lineup!