On location: Pirates 8, Reds 4

CINCINNATI — Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (27-26) vs. Cincinnati Reds (30-23)

Time: 7:10 p.m.

Site: Great American Ball Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup vs. Cincinnati RHP Homer Bailey

1. Alex Presley, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, RF
  5. Matt Hague, 1B
  6. Casey McGehee, 3B
  7. Rod Barajas, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. A.J. Burnett, RHP

UPDATE 3:18 p.m.: A little extra infield right now for guys at third base …

4:58: Just spent nearly two hours with the Pirates’ players, coaches, staff, and I feel almost odd in telling you this: It’s the most confident clubhouse I’ve seen with this team. They’re in second place, a game over .500 and yet, to a man, they are ADAMANT that they’ve UNDER-achieved to this point. And not just a little.

Take this from McCutchen: “It’s coming. We’re not there yet. We’re not close. But it’s coming.”

Sweep this series, and it’s first place. Just sayin’.

7:11: First pitch from Bailey to Presley, 67 degrees.

Comments

1. Wow!! Interesting line-up!

Presley leading off: any confirmation yet on Tabata to Disabled List?

Pedro still on bench, even after day off.

Bucs CAN’T lose again to a guy named Homer, can they?!?

2. Bucs draft a 6’6″ 17 year old high school pitcher in the 3rd round.

Draft an Academic All American outfielder from Georgia Tech who hit .352 and stole bases in the 4th round.

Players or window dressing? Pirates have yet to have any draft pick from Huntington era to excel other than #1s.

Not quite fair: Robbie the walking centerfielder did quite well in A ball last year. (not so well in AA this year.)

Gorkys Hernandez sent to Indianapolis.

4. Thanks, Milo!

I’ve been looking everywhere and couldn’t find who stepped onto the trapdoor.

Next it will be Alice in Wonderland!

6. Gorkys Hernandez is like a super fast thoroughbred that can’t turn left.

7. LuckyNKentucky says:

Groaty,

You mentioned Grossman above. He broke his hand in the AFL or winter ball or somewhere last year and they thought he may have a rough year this year. Still young, though. Some hope. More than Gorkys, that’s for sure.

8. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Not shocked at Gorkys going down. Tabby may just need an extra off day to rest.

Well, interesting lineup, not sure what to think of it really. Hope the pitching stands pat.

Clint Barmes took a 3-4 days off to “work on some things” according to CH. Is 1st game back, he has 2 hits and a HR. Let’s see if his continued work will product again tonight.

This is the same thing Rod Barajas did before he got hot. This should include and progress that Presley shows. Hope its a trend, if so, credit needs to be given to Hurdle/Richie.

We’ll see.

No Pedro?

Interesting

10. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Biz

He’s workin on things……..LOL

Bailey might have been a good matchup for Pedro,

Crap, the real reason is now I have to scurry home and drop him from 3 fantasy lineups ;-)

12. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Ha Ha Biz……..the reality is, you’ve been losing points while he was in the lineup.

It’s time for some Starbucks now!

14. TJA says:

I know it’s early yet in the season (and this is the Pirates), BUT, this 3 game set with the Reds could be for first place. What I’m saying is…its June and the Pirates are not in last place and they are potentially playing for the top spot in the Central the next 3 days… Kind of a cool thing…

15. GlassHalfFull says:

@Playoffs

Accounting would like a word with you. (insert frownie face here)

16. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@TJA

This is a big series, no doubt. I would just to see them hang with the big boys. I would think confidence is high after taking 2/3 from the Brewers in Milwaukee. This could just be a continuing trend. Would be nice.

I’m looking for the series, not a sweep.

For GlassHalfFull ~ :( >:( >:(

Pedro was told not even swing a bat on Sunday, his first day off.

19. GlassHalfFull says:

@ Jandy

Thanks.

If this is true, then Appel would have to be the #1 pick in next years draft to improve on what he would’ve gotten this year.

Unless Boras has something up his sleave, he might’ve finally f’d this one up.

GlassHalfFull, it’s the least I can do, I’m here soaking up all this knowledge and wisdom from all you guys :)

NMR, I hope Boras blew it. What goes around usually comes around…even if it’s later and not sooner!

23. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

If the Pirates don’t sign, they get 2 first rounders next year. Boras wants to be a &^%$ then let his boy go back to school…….might get hurt and get drafted even later.

That is the risk these guys take when they decide to go to college instead of signing out of high school. Tough decisions.

24. RobertoForever says:

@Ryan

When did Rod Barajas take time off like Barmes and Alvarez?

I don’t recall that.

Also, did someone say only 1st rounders have excelled under this FO? What do you call Mercer, Hague and Owens?

Minor leaguers ?

26. TJA says:

@Ryan

Agree with you on all your points. As has been mentioned…huge boost after the weekend in Brew Town. I just hope that they can play the same way with the Reds as they did at PNC last week. As you said…2 of 3 would be very satisfying.

27. Forbes Field Bob says:

DK was right that Milwaukee was big but winning tonight means Bucs only have to split remaining two to take series. First games of a series always big mentally.

28. Reading says:

Two ouf of three only picks up one game in standings. Need a sweep to establish dominance.

29. GlassHalfFull says:

@Milo

Great one!

What GlassHalfFull said!

31. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@GlassHalfFull

…walks into Accounting Department with tail between legs…..

Dejan:

Enjoy your ballpark photos. When the stadium is empty like that do you ever go to vacant sections of the stands to do some of your work. That is, are you what Thomas Boswell dubbed a “ballpark wanderer?”

33. TC says:

Hitters 1 through 3.5 in tonight’s lineup are solid. (I give GJones a solid 50%). After that, it looks like a lot of popups with a possible dink here or there. Choosing between a .178 McGeehee and a .195 Alvarez… ugh

***SNIDE ALERT***

35. TC says:

Then again, hitters 4, 7, 8 went yard last game. So we got that going for us, which is nice.

36. Bucs 1st 8 picks:

3 tall right handed starters
    2 fast right fielders
    2 catchers
    1 3rd baseman

I wonder who we would have taken if we were drafting “for need.”

Man, I hope Bor-ass doesn’t screw this up. I am liking/loving Appel more and more. I can’t believe he fell to Pirates!

37. GlassHalfFull says:

@Playoffs
    Have a seat outside of my office and think about what you’ve done. I’ll be with you in 5 minutes….uhoh maybe longer…real work calls.

38. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The Accounting Department is reviewing a few things, but………….Let’s open the window!

Tonight’s OVER / UNDER (always just for fun of course)

Total Walks + Strikeouts Issued by AJ Burnett
    Line is 8.5

Anyone can play!! Everyone should TRY!! What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY LINE ***

bman 20
    tmp444 EVEN
    bob hasis -25
    TDB1977 -60
    Milo Hamilton -100
    Arriba Wilver -125

First Place end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Runner-up at the end of the season will win:
    (1) 2012 Topps Roberto Clemente Card

I stood in a line to vote today. I don’t want to stand in another one at the Window so I am getting in early:

25 on the under, if you please.

@Playoffs: Ever considered a prop bet? Perhaps over/under on minutes it takes after the game starts for Dejan to tweet using Sulia.

40. nate83 says:

30 on the over please. Thanks.

41. pattonbb says:

Playoffs – I’ll lay 30 on the under.

I think he gets a win tonight, but I see a lot of ground balls in his future.

42. cosmo says:

I’ll take 30 on the under.

43. cosmo says:

@ Groat

Maybe one of the 2 catchers will be converted to another position ala Neil Walker.

44. Cosmo,

Or, the 3 pitchers all become shortstops . . . . .

45. nate83 says:

I never thought I would see a line up with Hague, Jones and McGahee all playing.

46. Evan says:

@Playoffs

30 on the under please

47. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@John, the window was amused by the sheer number of political ads that aired over the weekend series with the Brewers, as for tonight, you got it and good luck!!

@Nate, you got it and good luck!!

@pattonbb, you got it and good luck!!

@cosmo, you got it and good luck!!

@Evan, you got it and good luck!!

48. Chico says:

Why not Harrison at third rather than McGehee? How long till they send Casey (O HR, .190 BA) packing?

49. Chico says:

@ Playoffs

I’ll try it out. Let’s go with 40 on the over please.

@nate

Haha, great observation…not quite sure thats how Neal drew her up in the offseason.

51. A starting rotation of Taillon, Cole, Appel, and the 12-year old Mexican kid might be delightful.

I can’t wait!!!

DK: What’s wrong with the one they have right now?

@Playoffs:

This is the State of never ending political television ads. Went from the ’10 General Election to Assembly recalls in ’11 to the recall today. Probably get a week off or so before the ’12 General Election ads start airing. Thank God for the DVR.

No matter what your political persuasion, political ads are the lowest form of communication known to man.

53. SlackBoss says:

@ playoffs – 50 on the over

54. Dejan:

Burnett——the Yankees don’t like him, so he can’t be any good
    Bedard——the Red Sox don’t like him, so he can’t be any good
    Correa——everyone keeps saying he’s no good, so he can’t be any good
    Karstens——his arm gets tired too frequently, so he can’t be any good
    Morton——his mind gets tired too frequently, so he can’t be any good
    McDonald——he’s living in a dreamworld and when he wakes up, he won’t be any good
    Lincoln——of the 150 starters currently in big league rotations, only 2 were original signings of the Pirates. Ergo, it’s impossible for him to be good.

The Orioles have signed Nate McLouth & he’ll report to AAA Norfolk. The O’s obviously feel they don’t strike out enough.

56. GlassHalfFull says:

I’m back. Customers always get in the way of important things…

@Playoffs

Here’s what I got…all are copasetic except:
    Evan- I have 125. You have 124. Probably keystroke error.
    Jaxbuc-90. 85. Began weekend at 90. Didn’t bet fri. Picked over on hits for 25 on Sat (lose, sorry please try again). Picked under JMac for 25 on Sun. (WINNER) 90-25+25=90
    TMP444-Began weekend with -25. Unless I missed it I show no bets.

Oh and I’d like 22.5 on the over please.

Yikes.

The O’s are apparently finding the trade market so conducive to movement that their opting for the Pirate Retread method.

If a guy can’t crack the Pirates lineup, shouldn’t that be your first clue?

58. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Chico, thats the spirit, the window welcomes you, for tonight you got it and good luck!!

@SlackBoss, you got it and good luck!!

@John, the window couldn’t agree with you more.

Chico, don’t be discouraged.

60. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@GlassHalfFull,

Here is what I got and most likely what happened.

EVAN – is correct at 124, he bet 69 on one line last week so that’s why he’s at 124 not 125.

JAXBUC – math error by the window, 90 is correct.

TMP444 – Excel error when moving rows and columns, -25 is correct.

Thank you for your hard work and dedication, the window is promoting you to CFO!!

As for tonight, you got it and good luck!!

61. Boise Bucco says:

…and for some more ex-Bucco moves, Russ Ohlendorf signed with the Padres.

I always liked Ohlendorf, I hope it works out for him.

62. GlassHalfFull says:

@Playoffs

I’m sure my salary is twice what it was. Thanks!

Did you get my bet?

63. Chico says:

@ Milo

You mean about Casey? Of course I’m discouraged. 0 homers for the year.

64. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@GlassHalfFull, yes sir, you got it and good luck!!

P.S. – This new job comes with a corner office and a secretary.

65. @Milo, The Orioles are waiting until next week to bring Nate up to play against us, where he will follow the norm of the season and crush the Bucs ala LaRoche, Cedeno, Maholm, Nady, etc. I hope I’m only kidding, though.

66. Mike C. says:

crazy draft day

good morning or good afternoon to all, where ever my fellow fans may be

@Playoffs – 50 for under. I’m guessing a QS at 7 SOs with 2 earned for 7.1 innings

67. Boise Bucco says:

@Steve, at least we’ve never been burned by Rajai Davis. That one would hurt.

68. @Playoffs, I’ll go with 50 on the under for tonight. Thanks.

@Chico

Just one of my favorite shows as a kid.

70. @Boise, yeah – we don’t get to play Oakland much. I actually liked Rajai when he was with the Bucs. Didn’t think he got much of a look before being traded.

71. Also speaking of former Bucs, Zach Duke took the loss in that game last night in Indy against the Bucs AAA guys.

72. GlassHalfFull says:

Very nice but can I trade the corner office for another secretary? I can be very needy (Smiley emoticon)

73. Lawnbeaver says:

@playoffs

I’ll take 25 on the over.

Cinci is a pretty good hitters park, maybe the offense gets started here?….They did ok in games 1 and 3 in Miller Park.

74. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Mike C, you got it and good luck!!

@Steve, you got it and good luck!!

75. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The window is stepping out for a few, as long as your (fake) wager is posted before AJ Burnett throws his first pitch, consider it GOOD and VALID.

Best of luck to everyone who plays tonite and Let’s Gos Bucs!!

Lawnbeaver is easily my new favorite name on here.

@NMR

Wait ’til he meets that striped ass ape.

78. Lawnbeaver says:

Too bad there are not icons, I’d like to see that striped ass ape.

Sign in while I check out the over/under tonight

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City
    Canada – Toronto
    China – Singapore
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park, Denver
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann)
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Lincoln Park, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Mountain Home AFB*
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, DuBois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield, Virginia Beach, Fairfax
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville

192 locations represented in the blog,
    10 countries
    37 states, plus the District of Columbia
    Two planets
    6/5/2012 6:00 PM

@playoff

I feel frisky, please place 50 kabobs on OVAH

Thanks

81. Chico says:

@ Milo

Ahh… good reference. I didn’t get it. Fitting though, since I live in LA.

The Chico I’m referencing is Lind, of course…

82. Josh says:

After the Steelers selected several players with Washington ties, the Pirates go and draft this guy who goes to school just a few blocks from my work and went to high school right near where I live. Let Huntington know I’m happy to help recruit him away from Oregon.

@Josh:

Isn’t Tim Lincecum from Bellevue, too?

@John

What time do the polls close ?

@Josh

So where exactly do you reside ;-)

I haven’t looked forward to a series in Cincy like this one for quite some time.

I am going to make a prediction and say McGehee goes yard for the first time this year off Three Run Homer Bailey (thx Milo).

Lets hope after tonight that this Bailey wishes he had never been born.

@Milo:

They close at 8:00 CDT. I was home today and had no less than 8 canvassers come to my door to see if my wife and I had voted. Oshkosh is a relatively small town so I don’t usually have to stand in much of a line to vote. In fact, since I moved here I have only had to stand in a lengthy line 3 times: 96 Presidential, 08 Presidential and today.

Should be a crazy night.

88. JHadar says:

Biz

You gonna do a lucky 200th sign up promotion?

89. jaxbuc says:

30 on the Over, s’il vous plait

@JHadar, what a great idea

I’m for it, any suggestions?

I’ve got a lot of baseball cards, trouble is they are all over the place

How bout a Danny Murtaugh card?

91. JD says:

40 on the over please.

@Playoffs

I’ll take 50 on the over please.

93. RobertoForever says:

@Playoffs

Interesting O/U tonight. Again, not much time to research (my issue, not yours).

I think that AJ may strike out quite a few, but I don’t see many walks.

I’ll take 75 on the under and risk being underwater and needing a marker from the window for tomorrow’s wager.

Lets Go Bucs, and take at least 2 of these 3.

94. Eric Bowser says:

McCutchen’s base stealing instincts and success is terrible.

Unreal for a guy with his speed.

95. Going to be a long night already.

96. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@bizrow, you got it and good luck!!

@JaxBuc, you got it and good luck!!

@JD, you got it and good luck!!

@Milo, you got it and good luck!!

@Roberto, the window offers a wide variety of loans, all with the usual 100% interest rates, as for tonight, you got it and good luck!!

97. Mike C. says:

Ugh, can’t find a stream online today.
    and it’s a holiday here in Korea too so I got the day off.

98. Christo says:

All this because McGehee’s at third…

99. See #95 above. Already 1-0 Reds and no one out with 1st and 3rd.

100. pattonbb says:

I really don’t like Votto.
    Respect his ability? Absolutely.
    Like him? Not so much.

Not a good start-first 3 on and run in

102. Funny how Pedro committed an error that led to a run in the last start for AJ. He ended up winning the game 2-1.

The two runners that scored reached base on a play that should have been made at 3rd and a walk. These guys score enough on their own, they don’t need any help.

104. Reading says:

Just don’t understand how basically the fastest guy in the NL gets thrown out trying to steal practically everytime, and Reds’ guys plodding to second get in there without a throw.

He wasn’t actually trying to steal, ball got away from catcher and he took off but catcher got ball quickly and threw him out.

106. twentytwo22 says:

The Cardinals saw Burnett twice in a week and killed him. It’s the Reds turn. McGehee did him no favors in the first.

107. TJA says:

Need to get one (or both) back this inning. let’s make a statement buccos!

McCutchen wasn’t stealing. He tried to move up when the ball got away from the catcher in the 1st inning. But points well taken by all that are bringing his lack of success in that area.

Jones a hit and a steal. Hague grounder to 2nd send him to 3rd with 1 out.

110. CDBrewer says:

Don’t read into this, but a former Bucco sighting:

Steve Pearce is starting in LF for the Orioles…

I was a little surprised (although that team does start the oft injured Nick Johnson and have Ronny Paulino).
    Nate was signed by the O’s today too.

Okay, back to current Bucs.

111. TJA says:

Ooohhh…so close

112. TJA says:

there we go…

113. pattonbb says:

Wow, great at bat.

114. Eric Bowser says:

nice bounce back, Jones hit, stolen base and McGehee RBI single

115. CDBrewer says:

Wow, that is a great job to scratch out a run…that was good offense.
    Nice.

CD

Orioles and Nats both collecting former Pirates

117. twentytwo22 says:

Now McGehee will hit a HR later to complete his Barmes impersonation.

Bad job by Phillips on that turn. Should have been out of the inning & costing Bailey pitches.

119. pattonbb says:

How did Barajas beat that out?

Hot dog act by Phillips costs Cincinnati a run.

121. TJA says:

Hot Rod and Clint!! How about that?!

122. CDBrewer says:

Holy crap we maxed out this inning – we capitalized on ALL their mistakes…
    Wow, who are those guys?
    very encouraging

123. Eric Bowser says:

Stubbs drops ball and Barmes drills a ball to wall for a double… 2-2 game.

Really nice fight by Buccos to bounce back.

Get some oxygen for Barajas.

124. New ballgame now that it’s 2-2. Thanks to the Reds for their bad defense this inning.

125. CDBrewer says:

JAL,

I was watching a little of a Nats/Os game and I can’t remember an odder assortment of guys.
    Both teams are decent, but strange rosters.

126. TJA says:

Like I said earlier…gotta make a statement! Nicely done, Bucs!

127. Reading says:

I know he wasn’t “stealing” on the pitch and that he tried to advance when the ball got away from the catcher, but it just seems like he gets thrown out an awful lot on the base paths and doubled up on grounders that somebody with his speed ought to be beat out. On the other hand, his single was hammered into left center.

@Reading

I always say it’s a good thing he does the big things well.

129. JMB says:

Elvis is back in the building!

130. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Sorry I missed Playoffs line for tonights game.

Barmes comes through again.

Presley with a triple……Don’t look now, but CH and GR might be on to something…

131. TJA says:

@JMB

Here here…

Would you settle for 2 run Homer Bailey ?

133. TJA says:

Hey Guys…these are OUR Pirates!!!

134. Eric Bowser says:

Presley with a triple, exactly what this team needs from leadoff hitter.

And boom goes Walker to deep CF for a 2-run HR

4-2 Buccos

Walker two run homer -4-2 Pirates

136. Reading says:

Hammered times two!

Walker came to close to a homer first time up

138. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

For whoever asked, I don’t remember and I’m too lazy to scroll up, Barajas did take some time to “work on things” as CH puts it, back in late April, early May. He did not take 3-4 days consecitively, but thats easier to do with a position play compared to a catcher.

Either way, if the results come to Pedro the way they have for Barajas, Barmes (very small sample) and perhaps (JW) Presley, please take all the time he needs.

Very excited about this spurt of offense, but I never underestimate the power of the Reds.

139. RobertoForever says:

Gonna be a long night…..

For Homer Bailey

140. JMB says:

I hope Cutch was paying attention. HAHA!

141. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

How’d you like to be Brandon Phillips standing at the bag with Garrett Jones and then Matt Hague coming at you on a steal? No thanks.

P.S. Jones and Hague, please don’t ever do that again.

142. RobertoForever says:

The Bucs just set a new career high for runs given up by Homer Bailey against the Pirates. The Reds announcers opened the game gushing over Baileys dominance of the Pirates.

More history buried by these Bucs. #TimesAreAChangin

143. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Roberto

Let’s hope it keeps going that way. Any guy named Homer, should not be victorious.

144. @Roberto, I second what @Ryan said in #138. There was a couple day stretch were McKenry was in there more than Barajas and McKenry was hitting a little better (I think).

Nice that they got the lead, now add on!! Bailey’s run against us ends tonight.

145. RobertoForever says:

Jones is actually a very efficient base stealer. 26 for 35. Not bad for a firstbaseman

146. Eric Bowser says:

holy crap, Clint Barmes 2-run single. 6-2 Pirates

147. pattonbb says:

Who is this guy wearing Barmes’ jersey?

148. Barmes!!!! 2 run single. 6-2 now!!!

149. DemonDachshund says:

Poor Barmes… He must be tied up and gagged somewhere. Someone stole his uniform and made one of those Mission Impossible masks. It’s the only explanation.

150. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Clint Barmes can go hitless the rest of the game……..He has done his job already.

Clint Hurdle, rub that Barmes magic on Pedro!!

Would love to hear what it was CB was working on during his “break.” When someone struggles as bad as he was, it becomes extremely mental. Get back to basic type of style and see what worked for him before.

Either way, it has worked over a 2 game period. Solid AB.

151. JMB says:

@DD

That’s funny!

Wow – great inning.

I hope Barmes can keep this up.

152. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Roberto

The Jones crack was actually a joke……….but thanks, I’d still rather not see it, unless a pitcher just gives it to him like Bailey did.

153. Keith says:

Looks like Hurdle’s “time out” clinics work. Let’s hope Pedro comes back similarly to Barajas and Barmes.

154. TJA says:

nice play by cincy on the bunt. credit due the to the reds

155. Mike C. says:

just skip off a bit to grab something to eat, then BOOM a 4 run 3rd….
    this is not the Pirates i’ve known all year

156. Boise Bucco says:

Wish I could watch the game, but it looks like AJ just had a pretty decent inning…1-2-3 inning thru the Reds’ 2 thru 4 hitters? Nice job!

Bucs had no problem with Bailey tonight

158. Mike C. says:

@Boise Bucco – I wouldn’t mind giving you some of the stream sites i goto for games, but not sure if it’s allowed on this site. Moderator?

159. TJA says:

remember when we were all hollering about the bats? not out of the woods yet, for sure, but things have been a whole lot better as of late. pitching is staying strong. it’s coming together nicely. bucs 7-3 in their last 10. keep up the good work buccos. signing off for tonight…got that work thing bright and early. have a good night all

160. Officer Mancuso says:

Wow. Bucs score 6 in 3 for trooper AJ. Rock on!

161. Forbes Field Bob says:

Add Forbes Field Bob from Erie to your list of people and places. Will be down for Friday and Saturday games. Winning first games of a series big. Be nice to be in first place when when I come down Friday…now more runs please.

162. pattonbb says:

OK, I’ve seen it all now….

163. Eric Bowser says:

Finally, McGehee with a HR

7-2 Pirates

164. Officer Mancuso says:

What #163 said.

165. Who called it on McGehee going deep tonight? Nice prediction.

166. Mike C. says:

BOOOM
    7 – 2

@JohninOshkosh
    wrong pitcher but nice call on the McGehee HR.

167. Cool Rudy says:

Who said it was going to be a long day when the Reds were up in the 1st inning? Oops.

168. Dave G says:

Very loose dugout right now. Nice to see!

Dejan- stick around another night… I’ll be at tomorrow’s game!

Lincoln vrs Cueto tomorrow…

169. Boise Bucco says:

@Mike C. — thanks for the offer, but I’m on a gov’t computer. What’s bad is, I have the MLB Gameday package, so I can watch on my laptop at home or on my iPhone, but the gov’t won’t let me connect to the MLB servers to watch the game. So, I’m living thru you guys and this blog.

170. Mike C. says:

just watched the replay on mlb.com
    loved how everyone just ignored McGehee in the dugout after we walks in after the HR.
    lol
    winning sure helps these kids have some fun

171. RobertoForever says:

I guess Greg Ritchie deserves to be promoted to Sr. Hitting Coach.

Thank goodness CH and the FO don’t read/pay attention to blogs/commenters. (re: Barajas, Pedro, Barmes, Jones, etc, etc)

172. And on that K, the OVER wins for the night (7Ks and 2 walks). Nice when I lose and the Bucs are winning.

I won something. I’m playing the lottery tomorrow.

174. Eric Bowser says:

Seriously, this team can’t ask for a better pitching staff right now can it?

175. Eric Bowser says:

like I said, Alex Presley should have never left.

Presley HR, 8-2 Pirates

176. Great to see Alex driving the ball. Keep it up.

177. Boise Bucco says:

Now DK needs to write an article on how the economy sucks so that the economy can stop sucking.

178. Ryan (Nor Cal stlrfanrc says:

Presley HR? Apparently Gamecast is behind………..

179. RobertoForever says:

Burnett shattters the line by striking out the side in the 5th and throwing in a meaningless walk. AJ made Votto look silly.

180. pattonbb says:

Unrelated Pirate’s News – Hunter Pence just made one of the strongest throws from rf to 3b that I have seen in a long time. Nailed Gwynn Jr., who can run. Incredible throw.

OK, sorry…now back to your normally scheduled Red’s shellacking.

181. BigE says:

Welcome back Alex Presley!!

Wintersville, OH

182. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Nice to see the offense come out, especially against the Reds

183. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

DK’s quote from Cutch sums up today’s game….its not there yet, but its coming…..tonight, it showed up.

184. DARYLETHEPIRATEFAN says:

THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE, THE OTHER SITE IS SO CRAP , I HAD TO COME HOME, MAN THIS TEAM MAY BE ON THERE WAY TO THE OFFS, THINK ABOUT IT, WE HAVE UNFINISHED BUSINESS , YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

185. JMB says:

DARYLE!!!!!!!

186. RobertoForever says:

Wow, taking out AJ in top of 6th with no outs and 6 run lead. AJ did allow a walk and bloop single and was at 100 pitches. But seemed like a quick hook. Maybe CH is trying to get a well rested bullpen some work?

187. pattonbb says:

DARYLE!!!!

Nice job by Resop.

189. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

WELCOME BACK DARYLE!!!!!!!!!!

190. twentytwo22 says:

Nice job, Resop. Clint, don’t get greedy. lol

191. Jay G -Jacksonville FL via New Castle says:

Exciting baseball, just like last year began…Let’s keep it up Bucs…..The farm is shaping up as well……

192. RobertoForever says:

Garrett Jones really locked in lately. Robbed of two base hits tonight – smoked a line drive that Votto perfectly timed and needed all of his leap to snag. Just also robbed of a hit up the middle on a nifty diving catch by the SS.

193. DARYLETHEPIRATEFAN says:

My goodness I feel like NORM PETERSON !!!!!!!! WHAT UP ERRRYBODY, WHO IS THIS TEAM IN THE PIRATE UNIFORM …………….

THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE ::

194. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Roberto

He’s been coming around last week or so.

195. Pongo says:

yo! where are we? MLB scores are down from Cincy, say it’s 7-2. Score now? I’m in Ga, nowhere near Pirate bball.

196. Mike C. says:

@Pongo yup, mlb.com seems down for me too. try the espn gameday. just found out it got a big upgrade. pretty cool

8-3 Buccos, bottom 7th.

198. Eric Bowser says:

8-3 Pirates, bottom 7, 1 out, runner at 1st, Resop pitching to Votto.

199. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Even the window loves a DARYLE sighting!!!

200. Pongo says:

You can always count on the asylum, thanks peeps!
    @Mike, heading to ESPN (but I hate ESPN…) , but thanks

201. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Not a big fan of Resop lately……….maybe he needs the CH pep talk.

202. Reading says:

Can we get Resop out of the game. It’ll be 8-6 before we know it.

203. RobertoForever says:

Ryan Ludwick apparently did not get the memo on ex-Buccos doing well against them. 1 for 11 this year

204. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Is there a rain delay?

205. pattonbb says:

Pull him Clint!!!

206. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Gamecast says Cinncy is 65 degrees with heavy rain……..

@Ryan

Chris Resop a the human rain delay.

208. pattonbb says:

FYI…Gameday is back

209. Eric Bowser says:

Resop’s magic trick ends 7th with strikeout and bases loaded.

head to 8th, Pirates lead 8-3.

210. Reading says:

I finally did something positive tonight. You’re welcome.

211. Jay G -Jacksonville FL via New Castle says:

Giant props to Resop for getting out of that inning….Gutsy pitching….AJ had a gutsy performance also…….Held them at bay after that rough first inning….Let’s keep these bats going throughout the summer…..

212. RobertoForever says:

@Ryan

Jonesy started hitting when CH gave him an everyday, consistent role. When they cut Nate, they told Jones he would be the RF starter. Then like magic, Jonesy settles in and starts pounding it.

Go back and look at Jones’ best stretches. Its when he plays everyday in a defined role.

213. Let’s go JHay on your day!!

214. Eric Bowser says:

Barmes 3-4 tonight, sure would be nice to see him continue on a hot streak for a few weeks.

Just got home: BELATED DARYLE!!!!!

Actually when they cut Nate, Hague came up. Jones & McGehee were told their AB’s would be cut back. Jones is playing because he’s hitting.

217. twentytwo22 says:

Barmes/Walker turned a nice DP but these walks in an 8-3 game are shortening my life.

I’m wrong. When they cut Nate, Gorkys came up.

219. MBS says:

I know it’s early but give it up to NH for not dealing off one of our pitching prospects or current starters for a bat yet. Still may happen but he’s not looking quite so desperate lately which can only help with negotiating leverage.

220. RobertoForever says:

The last time the Pirates won at least 8 games in a 10 game stretch was 2008.

221. RobertoForever says:

@MBS

Well said. He put together a team that can hit and they are finally getting it together. Should be an exciting summer.

222. RobertoForever says:

Time for the Hammer to pound out Cruz’ mess

A little perspective – the 8 runs for the Pirates tonight move them up to last in runs scored.

224. RobertoForever says:

And Brandon Phillips is awarded the ‘Golden Sombrero’

225. RobertoForever says:

Reds 4-5-6 hitters…..meet the best closer in the business

226. JMB says:

Hammer time!

227. Raise it baby! Keep it going boys!!

228. RobertoForever says:

And that last place offense picks up the pitching on an off-night and BEAT the mot for long first place Reds.

#RaiseIt

Cant wait to see Lincoln beat em live.

229. RobertoForever says:

That’s ‘Not-for-long’ first place Reds.

230. twentytwo22 says:

Yes! Good win. The Pirates show their immaturity by having to use their closer in a game that should have been a laugher. They should learn from this.

231. Mike C. says:

unnecessarily made it a lil nervous at the end, but still a good win vs div. leader
    2 games back !

St.Louis down 4-9 , top of 8th.
    with loss now 1 game back Pittsburgh.

enjoy the win today boys~!

232. RobertoForever says:

The Pirates are now in the Top 10 in BA, doubles and triples, Top 2 in SLG and OPS, and Top 12 in Runs and OBP in the majors for the month of June. Trend or blip?

Also, Pirates have now won 6 of there last 7 at Great American Ball Park in Cincy (dating back to last season).

Lincoln vs Cueto tomorrow. Thursday night, battle of the 2-5 starters – Correia vs Leake

Win the Series, Bucs!

233. JRay3 says:

Wow gone for a few days and see it is Christmas in June in here. A series win in Milwaukee, what?? Morton to DL and Lincoln back to getting his chance very happy for him hope he does a lot to seize the spot or make the choice difficult. Presley back and homers in first game back, thank you FO for making that move.

And what is all the chatter about another power arm being the Pirates first round pick but this one shows no excitement about being selected, hmm would have expected more but oh well maybe he is the arm we can eventually trade.

Seem like a big win tonight with another offensive outburst and AJ doing it to the Reds again. So nice to be back and even better with all the positive things transpiring for the club. Just 2 GB and a chance at another series win tomorrow. WOW! Let’s Go Bucs!

234. Evan says:

I was away all night and I just get back to a beautiful highlight reel and boxscore. Go Bucs!

P.S.

DARYLE!!!!!!!!!!

235. Stephen in New York says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve seen a couple “defensive interference” calls against the Bucs in the past few days? What’s going on? Is Bud Selig getting chummy with Roger Godell, with an underlying suspicion that Josh Harrison is actually #92 in disguise?

236. RobertoForever says:

@JRay

The #1 pick for the Pirates is from Stanford. Their college team is still in the College World Series. Appel said the day before the draft that he was focused on ‘his friends’ and making sure they could stay together and make their trip thru CWS a long one.

Nothing there really. Several others also picked from colleges in the CWS are also in ‘radio silence’ including Zunino, picked higher than Appel.

237. Evan says:

@Roberto

You sound like an Appelogist to me.

Just kidding. I agree with you.

238. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Bucs win!! AJ Burnett goes 5+ innings, but issues 4 walks and 8 K’s along the way. The OVER wins easily. Thanks as always to everyone who played. See you tomorrow night!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS (Independently verified by GlassHalfFull)
    Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) 250
    TDB1977 -60
    Arriba Wilver -125

239. Dejan Kovacevic says:

DARYLE!

240. GlassHalfFull says:

@Playoffs

You may have missed the best name on the blog…

Lawnbeaver has 25. Comment #73.

241. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@GlassHalfFull, Thanks again. I added him.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back