Final: Orioles 7, Pirates 1

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (32-28) vs. Baltimore Orioles (35-26)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: Oriole Park at Camden Yards

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup vs. Baltimore RHP Jake Arrieta

1. Alex Presley, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, DH
  5. Casey McGehee, 1B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Jose Tabata, RF
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Michael McKenry, C

RHP Kevin Correia will start for the Pirates.

Comments

1. National Mart of Records,

Jamison Taillon made 23 appearances last year, all starts. He pitched 92 innings.

That comes out to exactly 4 innings a start.

2. Playoffs by 2012 says:

HEAR YE! HEAR YE! The window is OPEN!!

Tonights’s OVER / UNDER (always just for fun of course)

Total Combined RBI’s for McCutchen + Jones + McGehee + Alvarez
    Line is 3.5

Anyone can play!! Everyone should TRY!! What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY LINE ***

TDB1977 ** -40
    tmp444 ** -50
    manny_sanguine ** -60
    Mike C. ** -70
    Arriba Wilver ** -230
    GlassHalfFull ** -260

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) 2012 Topps Roberto Clemente Card

3. nate83 says:

Groat

The artical below is pretty good and it discusses in detail Taillon’s innings.

The fact remains that a High School Pitcher doesn’t pitch much more then 70-90 innings and expecting them to pitch 120-130 innings their first full year would be a lot ask. Especially if they are pitching more often on the side and off season then they did in High School.

Great find, nate.

@Groat

My point was that the Pirates are no different than the majority of MLB organizations.

You’re point out the lowest level of the minor leagues and assuming thats the case throughout. All teams, including the Pirates, increase IP’s as players move through the system.

Pitching change explains the lefties in the lineup

6. Boise Bucco says:

@Playoffs–

My first official entry! Put me down for 50 on the over!

7. Nate the Wide Receiver,

Good article on Taillon. I hope it works——we need him!

System didn’t work so well for Allie, or Colton Cain, or Zack van Rostenberg, or Quentin Miller, or Victor Black, or the other Zach, or the guy they traded for Navarro, or the 6th round pick from 3 years ago (righty, can’t think of his name right now).

If only our 1st Round picks advance to Majors, Bucs are in BIG Trouble!

8. nate83 says:

Tough line tonight Playoffs. Something tells me to stay away from this one but I will dip my toe in the water and put 20 on the under. Maybe I should wait for RJay3′s excellent info but I have to leave soon for my son’s baseball game.

RJay3 if your info contradicts my pick please keep it to yourself.

9. JMB says:

@Playoffs

100 on the over please. thanks!

Tonights’s OVER / UNDER

Total Combined RBI’s for McCutchen + Jones + McGehee + Alvarez
    Line is 3.5

10. SlackBoss says:

@the window, I like the over – I really do, but Arietta has only lasted 4+ innings the last 4 or 5 starts so he must be getting hurt up and down the line up, not so sure Pedro and McGhee get to contribute often enough…lefty-righty splits are about the same in hits..better slugging for the lefties…Walker is hot so he might take some ribbies for himself…I know… I am over-thinking this one. So play the gut – 50 on the over.

11. nate83 says:

If just one of Heredia, Taillon, Cole and Appel turn into a #1 and 2 of the other 3 are starters in our rotation I will be the happiest I’ve been since 1992. 60% of a starting rotation isn’t all that bad. Fill in the other 2 with JMAC, Owens, Locke, Morton if he figures it out or free agent and I will roll the dice and take my chances.

12. LuckyNKentucky says:

nate,

DK loves package deals and so do we. Roll those 4 guys together for Youkilis and a couple minor leaguers from Boston’s depleted system and we’re playin’ meaningful ball in the fall. Just kidding. I dislike bundling, too, unless its wads of money.

13. Chico says:

@playoffs

30 on the under. Always nice to hedge your bet, so if you lose, the Buccos probably win…

14. GlassHalfFull says:

@Playoffs

My crack team of statisticians tells me…
    1-Jones & McGeheehee are swinging the bat well recently
    2-Pedro not so much
    3-Cutch is clutch. So….
    The over gets it for the usual 22.5

The rest of you can now feel at ease about taking the under.

15. bman says:

@Playoffs

I’ll take 30 on the OVER

16. JaxBuc says:

I’ll take 50 on the OVER, please.

17. nate83 says:

Lucky

Exactly, with you 100%. Two years of Youkilis and a marginally better chance of making the playoffs none less winning the world series would definately be worth giving up what could be what won the Giants a world series and the Devil Rays being more then competitive for the past 3 years.

We are sitting on a gold mine. We should sell, sell, sell before we find out it fools gold.

18. LuckyNKentucky says:

Excellent points, nate.

Free Youk!

Dam, Playoff, what to do, what to do, do I bet with my hearts or my head??

Sigh, got me again, oh master bookie,

100 simoleons on the OVAH (even though the jinx JMB bet the same thing)

I got some travelling to do to catch up ;-)

I’ll never learn …….

Hey Bizrow:

Did you catch post 39 (First Pitch Thread) yesterday. Here it is:

Steve, Yorktown, VA

I don’t believe Yorktown has made your roll call yet.

21. nate83 says:

Bizrow

I am from Toledo Ohio but I saw you already had that on your list. However I actually live 1/2 mile outside of Toledo in Oregon Ohio if you really want to add to the list.

22. cosmo says:

@ playoffs

40 on the under please.

23. pattonbb says:

Playoffs – 100 large on the over please. I have a feeling I’m working my way back to 0, but oh well.

@Playoffs:

50 (fake) American on the under.

JRay is starting to look like Secretariat at the mile mark in the Belmont…..starting to leave us behind.

25. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Boise Bucco, the window welcomes you, you got it and good luck!!

@nate, you got it and good luck!!

@JMB, MAX IT OUT!!! You got it and good luck!!

@Slack, you got it and good luck!!

@Chico, the hedge bet, either way you win, you got it and good luck!!

@Glass, the window is pulling for you, you got it and good luck!!

@bman, you got it and good luck!!

@JaxBuc, you got it and good luck!!

@Bizrow, MAX IT OUT!!! You got it and good luck!!

@cosmo, you got it and good luck!!

@pattonbb, MAX IT OUT!! You got it and good luck!!

@John, you got it and good luck!!

26. Tom P. says:

MLB.com is reporting that Baltimore SP Matusz will not start tonight. Instead, Jake Arrieta will start, with a record of 2-8 and a 6.32 ERA.

27. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs – Well the Over/Under tonight is getting action both ways but I feel the numbers speak loudly that there is definite value on one side…so let’s dive in.

Cutch has 37 RBI’s in 57 GP but a refactored GP of 52.5 if you give 4 AB’s for one full game on his 210 AB’s. Jones has 21 RBI in 48 GP/34.25 refactored GP on 137 AB’s. McGehee only 9 RBI’s in 50 GP or 30.25 refactored GP on 121 AB’s. Alvarez 24 RBI’s in 52 GP or 43.5 refactored GP on 174 AB’s.

So on a per game basis Cutch averages .70 RBI/G, Jones .61 RBI/G, McGehee .29 RBI/G and Alvarez .55 RBI/G. Add those numbers all up and on average the four of them produce 2.15 RBI a game. The over/under number sits at 3.5.

Couple those stats with this…In June, (according to @ Roberto Forever the Pirates best hitting month), Pirates 3-6 hitters in ten games in the month have produced RBI counts of – 3,3,1,1,2,3,2,3,0,4. Only once in ten games have the Pirates produced 4 RBI’s from 3-6 in the lineup in a month we are supposedly scorching the ball.

The numbers speak LOUDLY here, 80 on the UNDER!

Thanks.

@John, thanks so much, Yorktown added

@nate83, your home is Oregon OH, duly noted, thanks

That brings our clan to 202

BEAT EM BUCS

PS, I’m planning on doing a mission sometime to find Green Weenies

Finesteins in the strip district will be my first objective

A road trip to Manitoba? Naah

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City
    Canada – Toronto
    China – Singapore
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park, Denver
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann)
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Lincoln Park, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Mountain Home AFB*
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200)
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville

202 locations represented in the blog,
    10 countries
    37 states, plus the District of Columbia
    Two planets, at least confirmed
    6/13/2012 5:26 PM

29. radio wave says:

At playoffs:
    I’ll take 60 on the under.
    Go bucs.

30. DemonDachshund says:

@Playoffs – Let’s say 60 on the OVER. Cutch with a solo shot, Pedro with a dinger that drives in McGehee, and Jones picks up a sac fly.

The guy has an ERA of six for goodness sake.

@Roberto – Even if Jones was in vs. Matusz tonight, he still sat vs. both the Chens, and the Bucs are in the unusual situation of needing a DH. As it stands, Dr. Jones is now 0 for 4 in getting into the starting lineup against lefties since he supposedly became an “everyday” player. My conclusion of still a platooner stands.

31. bob hasis says:

I wanted to respond to Lucky from the earlier blog

It was common for Elroy Face (our closer at that time though such title was never conferred upon him) to enter the game in 7th or 8th and pitch to a 9th inning conclusion. He was a righty but we had Fred Green and Al Jackson – both lefties – standing by just in case. There were no specialists as designated by an inning then – if you were a reliever it was expected you would relieve at any point in the game.

In one of your exchanges the mention of more complete games occured then, which was true, but I cannot explain why, as compared to the lack of CG’s today.

32. OZ says:

40 on the over….please

I say Pedro collects the 3.5 in one swing

Dam, there I go again

Regarding RobertoF, his best defense against logic is ignorance

34. @Playoffs, I’m going to say 50 on the OVER on this one.

I really feel leary about that, though. The guy has a horrible ERA, so that usually means the Bucs will make him look like Cy Young. In looking at his history, he has only pitched 5 innings, but had a 5+ ERA and a win against them. Cutch had two hits but no one active in the last five years had an RBI against him.

The lineup is starting to hit better and they are in a hitters ballpark, so I think they will get to him and hopefully get at least 4 RBI out of the 3-6 guys. Grand Slam by Pedro would be nice to see.

35. Mlrgenuine says:

Playoff – I feel good about this one. I’ll go big with 100 on the Over.

36. LuckyNKentucky says:

Thanks, Bob. I knew there were more CG’s then. And the bullpen was handled differently. Time changes. These are the Good Old Days!

37. @Bizrow, you beat me to the Pedro granny prognostication. Wow, I didn’t think I could say or spell that word. Let’s Go Bucs!!

38. MarkV says:

@ playoffs – I’ll take 25 on the under.

@bizrow
    I still have my green weenie from the 60′s. Maybe its time to get it out of the box and see if it still has any magic left!
    Also, there is a collectors store on Smithfield that might have a green weenie. Last time I was in was Christmas, so the memory is a little fuzzy on what I saw then.

39. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@JRay, detailed and factual as always, LOVE IT, you got it and good luck!!

@Bizrow, if you can find Green Weenies, please let the window know, thanks!!

@radio wave, you got it and good luck!!

@Demon, you got it and good luck!!

@OZ, you got it and good luck!!

@Steve, Mrs. Playoffs confirmed that we will not be going to the game tomorrow, yell a lot for us, as for the game tonight, you got it and good luck!!

@Mlr, MAX IT OUT!! You got it and good luck!!

40. bob hasis says:

Playoffs – I would like to go 50 clams on the OVER. Thank you

I wonder if Pedro will attempt to swing tonight. Last night he was mystified, confused bedazzled, unaware and lost in space. Then the umpire said STRIKE THREE and awakened him, for his routine stroll back to the dugout

41. tdb1977 says:

Hey Playoffs! I maxed out yesterday and one. Why don’t we max it out again and go with the OVER today. I’m smelling 2 RBI’s by Cutch, 1 by Jones, and another 3 by Alvarez tonight (call me optomistic) :)

42. tdb1977 says:

Hey Playoffs! I maxed out yesterday and one. Why don’t we max it out again and go with the OVER today. I’m smelling 2 RBI’s by Cutch, 1 by Jones, and another 3 by Alvarez tonight (call me optomistic) :D

43. JRay3 says:

Terribly disappointed that Clint continues to peddle his blind faith prodigy Barmes out there in the field. Barmes, who made another atrocious error in the field in last night’s game in the bottom half of the sixth when he once again short hopped a routine throw is now 23rd in MLB in SS fielding % of the top 25 who qualify with enough attempts with a.960 fielding % (better than just Dee Gordon and Tyler Pastornicky).

The team gave Hague 11 consecutive starts upon his recall why not do the same with Mercer, or give Harrison some time who in limited AB’s still hits 40 points higher than Barmes and has .150 higher OPS?

44. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@MarkV, you got it and good luck!!

@bob, the window believes the work you are looking for is bamboozled, you got it and good luck!!

@tdb, MAX IT OUT!! AGAIN!! You got it and good luck!!

45. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@bob, the window meant to say WORD, the WORD you are looking for…..

46. RobertoForever says:

@bizrow – I see you’re leading with insults. Interesting tactics. Talk about insufferable. Take DK’s advice. Be happy, enjoy the baseball.

47. @Playoffs, Thanks for letting me know about tomorrow night. I and the rest of the family will cheer really loud for everyone.

48. RobertoForever says:

@playoffs

Thanks for the early lines, although I seem to be busy at the wrong time lately. I have faith in Jones/Cutch, a little less in PA/Casey. This is a tough line, but i think i will take the over for 60. Hope I dont need that loan again. The interest last time was steep ;)

I’m with you JRay. Barmes…(sigh)…marching his BA, OPS etc along with his mediocre at best defense out there every night. It’s like having a second pitcher in the lineup. He is turning out to be a FA bust on two levels: his statistical performance and his contract. I’m not sure any other club would have offered a 2 year contract to him.

50. RobertoForever says:

@DemonDaschund

It would appear as you were correct. My coachspeak filter must be malfunctioning, lol. I guess ‘everyday at-bats’ means something different to Clint.

But if it works to keep Jonesy hitting as part of a platoon, I love it.

51. RobertoForever says:

@john

Didnt the Brewers offer him a two year deal as well?

52. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Steve, no problem, hope you and the family have a blast!!

@Roberto, sudden and unexpected unemployment had left the window with lots of free time, so the line can get out there nice and early, a clear example of life, lemons and lemonade, as for the game tonight, you got it and good luck!!

@Roberto:

They may have. But he should have been seen as a 1 year guy. At least not worth a bidding war. I did not like it when they signed him and I did a spit take (not really) when Dejan noted that he was the highest FA signing in club history. Oh well whats done is done. Have to deal with it in the best manner possible. And to me that means some of the ideas JRay presented.

54. likeabugonarug says:

50 on the over please. hope i made it in time.

55. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@likeabug, you got it and good luck!!

56. bob hasis says:

Playoffs

A. bamboozled
    B. bamboozled
    C. bamboozled
    D. all of the above previously mentioned and bamboozled

57. twentytwo22 says:

2-8 Arrieta gets away with two fastballs that you aren’t supposed to throw to left handed hitters because Walker and Jones aren’t ready to swing the bat. Pathetic job.

58. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@bob, I think flummoxed would have worked also :)

59. DemonDachshund says:

I wish I’d noticed that 5-9 are all .226 or worse before taking the OVER.

Top of the first:

1. Presley lines to left.
    2. Walker strikes out swinging.
    3. Amac singles
    4. DH Jones strikes out.

Unofficially: first pitch 7:07 and 81 degrees on the Inner Harbor

Pittsburgh in the traveling greys with PITTSBURGH across the chest. Baltimore in the home whites with the trucker baseball cap featuring the cartoon bird.

Battery is Arrietta/Wieters

No score after one half played at Camden Yards

61. bob hasis says:

I can’t remember EVER seeing a team swing at more balls, and take more strikes than this 2012 Edition of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

And we were enticed to listen to an interview by Greg Brown with Gregg Ritchie before the game about hitting. I can’t remember a more meaningless interview in my life, than hearing this coach boast about our hitters, and Brownie giving Ritchie the chance to take credit for Cutch simply because they crossed paths at Altoona.

62. JRay3 says:

@ John – Perfect opening description.

Well Correia with an early Brad Lincoln like impression leaving ball up and nearly giving up his 12th HR of the year. And to think this lineup is without Markakis and Reimold.

63. bob hasis says:

Playoffs, flummoxed took place in the first inning. We need to keep a few adverbs in reserve for other occasions. After that we can of course begin to tap into the wealth of adjectives which were created for Pirates hitting by Roget 100 years ago

64. JRay3 says:

20 pitches already for Correia and one recorded out, not what the bullpen needs after last night.

Gift DP from Weiters

66. JRay3 says:

Much needed double play there!

Birds half of the first:

1. Roberts grounds to second base 4-3.
    2. Hardy singles
    3. Davis doubles to left; Hardy scores
    4. Jones walks
    5. Wieters hits into DP 3-6-1.

Battery is Correia/McKenry

Kevin struggles but gets out of the inning with a timely DP.

After 1:

Balt: 1
    PBC: 0

68. twentytwo22 says:

The Pirates are pissing me off. They look intimidated by a team that has 14 straight losing seasons. This isn’t Yankee Stadium. Alex Presley has to catch that frickin ball. The Pirates have to be ready to hit this meatball pitcher.

69. JRay3 says:

Casey seems to be heating up a bit! Pedro on the other hand, is it possible to regress with how abysmal his performance has been of late?

70. Eric Bowser says:

seriously, Pedro Alvarez?

71. JRay3 says:

Well at least it took nine pitches to strike out Tabata, are you kidding me? Arrieta is 2-8 with a 6.21 ERA and he has struck out five through the first two innings. Just horrible, these are games that you have to win when a spot starter is inserted hours before the game.

Nice AB Barmes, I just wish you would do the humane thing and retire.

72. bman says:

Arietta looking like Cy Young out there. 5 K’s out of the 6 outs recorded. Pathetic…

73. bob hasis says:

There is a common trifecta of absolute helplessness – 3 K’s by PA, Tab and PU

74. Eric Bowser says:

Whatever happened to professional hitters?

I don’t need 30 HR hitters, I want guys who walk and get base hits.

That sequence of at-bats after McGehee’s leadoff double was downright pathetic.

The way this team looks tonight is like every June for the last 19 years

Top of the Second:

Teams playing in front of looks like a lot of empty seats.

1. McGehee doubles down the line in left.
    2. Alvarez strikes out swinging. UGGGH. Looks at jumbotron to see what he chased while walking back.
    3. Tabata, the “23 year old Venezuelan” swings through strike 3 down and away.
    4. Barmes strikes out chasing a high fastball.

McGehee is stranded.

After 1.5 at Oriole Park:

PBC 0
    BAL 1

76. Eric Bowser says:

In other baseball cities, fans are clamoring for a .300 hitter, a .400 OBP leadoff guy, or a 30 HR cleanup hitter but in Pittsburgh, we’re rooting for a .250 hitter.

77. TDB1977 says:

I;m calling it here…Steve Pearce with a home run.

TBD

Nah, just a run scoring single.

79. TDB1977 says:

Is it too soon to be asking for Cole to come up from High A? How about Owens from AAA? Anyone that can throw a strike other then Lincoln and Corriea.

80. JRay3 says:

@ TDB – Definitely looks like we need a #4 and #5 starter…Karstens can not get back soon enough, and probably time to give Indianapolis a call.

81. pattonbb says:

So is it time to move Correia to the bullpen?

‘Atta boy Pearce. Thanks for getting us out of that one.

82. Eric Bowser says:

Cole should be in AA by now

1. Reynolds leads off with single.
    2. Betemit doubles; Reynolds scores. That’s right, Wilson freakin’ Betemit.
    3. Pearce, sixth game for the O’s and the former Pirate singles to score Betemit.
    4. Flaherty, the former Vanderbilt Commodore, and Pedro’s buddy, bunts. Sacrifice with Pearce going to second.
    5. Roberts flies to AMAC.
    6. Hardy, former Brewer and Twin product, grounds to PA. He bobbles it but is able to get Pearce who had for some reason, drifted off second. Put out 5-4 but an error on Pedro.

After 2 in Maryland:

PBC 0
    BAL 3

Top of the third:

1. MCKenry flies out to the oh so graceful Adam Jones.
    2. Presley lines to Flaherty who robs him with a diving catch.
    3. Walker strikes out.

3 up 3 down as second time through the order starts

End of 2.5 at the yards:

PBC 0
    BAL 3

Birds half of the Third:

Correia starts inning with 39 pitches, unofficially.

1. Davis flies to right.
    2. Jones lines to Cutch.
    3. Wieters grounds out to Walker.

No error was given to Alvarez in the second.

3 complete in the Mid Atlantic:

PBC 0
    BAL 3

86. cosmo says:

@bman

I was thinking the same thing. Throw anyone with 6+ era and the pirates make them
    look unhittable.

JohninOshkosh

No error because they got an out so no harm done.

88. pattonbb says:

Tying run at the plate…..

89. pattonbb says:

….*sigh*….

90. TDB1977 says:

He didnt strike out. Trying to look for a positive. Really reaching, I know.

91. cosmo says:

at least Pedro hustled down the line.

Barmes swing at the first pitch?

We zoom to the fourth:

1. Cutch, flying down the line, grounds to Hardy.
    2. GI Jones with an infield hit off Arrietta’s glove
    3. McGehee singles to center; Jones to second. Casey is 2 for 2
    4. Alvarez field choice 1-6 but O’s can’t complete DP; Jones to third, Alavarez at first
    5. Tabata walks. Jones at third, Alvarez at second, Tabata at first.
    6. With bases loaded, Barmes swings at first pitch after the base on balls and hits into force out 6-4.

After 3.5 on the East Coast

PBC 0
    BAL 3

Thanks JAL. Wasn’t certain about the rule. You are my official scorer!

94. cosmo says:

Just a thought, How many balls would Stargell have hit into the river if he played at PNC Park?

1. Reynolds leads off with double. Misplayed by Presley and Reynolds goes to third. Error charged to the Pirate leftfielder.
    2. Infield in. Betemit flies to Tabata. Reynolds just beats the nice throw from Tabata for the run. Sacrifice fly and RBI for Betemit. Wilson Freakin’ Betemit.
    3. Pearce grounds out to third. Jones spiked on the play by his former mate. Nothing serious, though.
    4. Flaherty, no relation to Second City Alum Joe Flaherty, grounds out to Walker.

O’s tack on another run.

After 4 complete in Mary’s Land:

PBC 0
    BAL

96. Keith says:

Barmes is killing me.

97. Pirates 3-6 hitters with 0 RBI and Orioles 3-6 hitters with 3 RBI.

98. Why is Cutch watching so many pitches tonight? Is Pedro advising him?

Let’s go to the Oshkosh b’Gosh Clothing 5 inning. Just kidding.

1. McKenry pops to Hardy who calls off Pearce to make the catch looking into the Maryland twilight.
    2. Presley lines a one out double. O’s announcers note Presley’s good speed as he went into second standing up.
    3. Walker strikes out on the bender.
    4. Cutch, tied for second in NL with RISP average strikes out to strand Presley. Darn.

Arrieta, I believe, was the O’s Opening Day pitcher.

After 4.5 from the stadium by the warehouse. It’s an official game:

PBC 0
    BAL 4

100. cosmo says:

I’m Changing my mind Arietta is pitching like Jim Palmer not Cy Young. Walker looks lost on that curveball. 0-3 3k’s

101. pattonbb says:

Swing the bat!!!! Swing the bat!!!

These are fastballs they’re watching. Were they expecting a knuckleballer tonight? What’s the deal?

102. cosmo says:

How many opposing pitchers have recorded season and or career highs in K’s against the Bucs this year?

103. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The scary thing with Alvarez is outside of a 9 day span in early May he’s been a sub .175 hitter with 60+ strikeouts.

I believe he’s only hit 1 home run in the past 5 weeks.

Almost wish they’d send him to Extended Spring Training for a month or more and just make him do nothing but swing for 8 hours a day.

*** wishful thinking ***

Away we go to the bottom of the fifth:

1. Roberts strikes out on the bender. First K for Correia.
    2. JJ Hardy (my he would look good wearing a Buccos jersey) rips a liner base hit to left.
    3. Davis retired to Cutch.
    4. The dangerous Adam Jones mildly grounds out.

We have played through 5 in one of the original 13 colonies:

PBC 0
    BAL 4

105. Bob from Mt Lebo says:

On the bright side Correia has gone 5 without giving up the long ball.

106. JRay3 says:

No excuses for this offense at all tonight, 8 K’s to spot starter with an era above 6, changes need to be made, upgrades have to be provided or this exciting start will be just that an exciting start. Barmes is atrocious, Alvarez needs to be sent back down and one corner OF and corner IF need to be added.

We commence with the sixth:

5 hits for the PBC 7 hits for the home club

1. The Legend grounds out to Roberts, second to first.
    2. McGehee retired with three pitch strikeout.
    3. Pedro Alvarez grounds out, second to first.

3 up 3 well you know

Where is Amber Theoharis?

After 5.5:

PBC 0
    BAL 4

Arrieta is not your normal spot starter, he has a great arm, his problem has been maintaining composure. He was the Orioles opening day starter. On May 2 he struck out 9 Yankees on 5 hits no runs no walks in 8 innings

109. JRay3 says:

Unreal…a guy not expected to start ties a career high in strikeouts. Funny thing Orioles message boards were worried about them having to pitch Arrieta tonight but stated if he can get anybody out it would be the Pirates lineup, that was foreshadowing at it’s best.

Can’t wait to hear even the most ardent optimists spin this one.

Those tall ships are super cool!

111. Black n Gold (not yellow) says:

Greg Ritchie needs fired. Period…

I doesn’t take a freakin genius to see that Pedro can’t hit the outside pitch because he can’t reach it. When you can’t hit a pitch, you watch that pitch, you miss that pitch, or you reach for that pitch and hit it off the end of the bat. I mean….DUHHHHHHHH!!!!!

How do you solve that problem? How do you enable a hitter to better cover the outside corner?

I bet most of the readers of this blog can figure that one out.

And let’s not forget that Jose Tabata was at his best going the other way, regardless of the lack of homeruns (BIG WHOOP in the canyon that is PNC Park). I’ll take 30 doubles, a handful of triples, and a .348 OBP from the 2-hole any day. So what does Ritchie do? Tabata is now has a more open stance so that he can try to pull the ball. Now, he’s hitting fewer balls hard which is shown by the fact that his Linedrive percentage is down 25%. Consequently, his BABIP has dropped to .259 this year from .326 in his first two seasons.

I could go on, but you get the picture. This nonsense of trying to develop a weakness during games might be ok for minor league hitters where pitchers make more mistakes. A professional hitter needs to do what they do well and not give up their strength to try to develop a weakness. That’s what batting practice is for…

Has anyone seen Prince Fielder back away from the plate to try and hit the ball the other way? No, his strength is being a power-pull hitter. He crowds the plate and dares people to throw it by him; as do most power-pull hitters.

112. 4 RBI by Betemit and there is your Correia homer given up.

113. JRay3 says:

Good grief knew that was eventually coming….Correia giving up a HR

114. Black n Gold (not yellow) says:

Insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.

Albert Einstein must have been a baseball guy. lol

115. @John, we plan on going to see some of those tall ships and Navy ships on Friday along with Fort McHenry. Can’t wait! Hopefully, we get to see the only win in this series tomorrow night.

116. Reading says:

Can we remove Correia please?

Birds half of the sixth:

1. Wieters leads off with an out to right.
    2. Reynolds innocently flies to centerfield.
    3. Betemit, with 2 RBI on the night, homers to right. Wilson Freakin’ Betemit. Fifth Oriole run and now 3 RBI for WFB.
    4. Pearce follows the dinger with a base hit.
    5. Ray Searage to the mound for a meeting. Watson warming in pen.
    6. Flaherty singles, Pearce to second. Three hits following the quick first 2 outs in the home half of the 6th.
    7. Roberts flies to Presley. Inning mercifully over.

We have played 6 in a city located in the continental United States:

PBC 0
    BAL 5

118. Reading says:

From the rotation.

119. JRay3 says:

@ Black n Gold – “Gregg Ritchie needs to be fired”….truer words have never been spoken.

Have a blast Steve. I’m jealous. Love maritime stuff.

Crap, I wanted two of three this series

@RF, you who are you are

On to the visitors’ half of the seventh.

1. Tabata reaches first on the ole swinging bunt. Infield hit.
    2. Barmes meekly flies out.
    3. McKenry is HBP. Tabata to second. Two on. One out.
    4. Presley with a base hit. Tabata to third. McKenry to second. Bases juiced.
    5. Walker grounds out unassisted to first. Tabata scores just eluding Wieters tag from the throw from Reynolds. Reynolds touched first to eliminate the force at home so Wieters had to make a tag. McKenry at third. Presley to second.
    6. Cutch grounds out to third. Two are left on.

No shut out tonight.

We have played 6.5 at a location on planet Earth:

PBC 1
    BAL 5

Well, got a beer and a sandwich for the stretch.

Tony Watson now pitching for the NL Pirates.

125. pattonbb says:

That was a great slide by Jose.

A lost opportunity there though

Needed a bunch that inning

127. Bleeping ridiculous! I know we haven’t had many of these this year, but this game is out of control like last night. Another two homers for them tonight and we can’t even score when we hit with runners in scoring position.

128. JRay3 says:

Alvarez not catching the pop foul gives Davis a second chance and he drills a two run HR…Hardy 3 hits, Davis 3 RBI, Betemit 4 RBI…five HR in the series, if only our lineup had some of those threats.

129. JRay3 says:

@ Steve – maybe one positive of this series will be it will show the deficiencies and the gap we still have versus power lineups and place some urgency in doing SOMETHING.

130. cosmo says:

Anybody wish NH would have tried harder to get Davis from the rangers last year.
    he would awful good in a Pirates uni.

131. cosmo says:

that should have been “look awful good in a Pirates uni”

132. Playoffs by 2012 says:

That alligator armed attempt at the foul ball by Alvarez is the most pathetic play by him in this game. By not making that play, HE gave up the out.

Second time in 3 games he’s done the exact same thing on a foul ball near the stands.

I don’t personally know the guy, but in every great competitor there is a certain fire, a certain desire to make every play count. Look at Jeter when he crashed into the stands a few years back to make a catch. Look at Pierzynski in the ALCS in 2005 when he “sold” the muffed third strike by Molina.

Those guys hate to lose. Hate to fail. There’s a reason they make All-Star teams. There is a reason they win championships. They want it more than other players do.

I don’t see that with Alvarez. I don’t see the desire when the game starts. The fire to not fail. Doesn’t matter how much you practice, in the end you have to want it. I hope at some point he finally “wants it.”

1. Hardy leads off the seventh with a base hit to right off the Iowa native Watson. If Clement is called up, they can talk Hawkeye football together.
    2. Pedro gives up on a foul pop near the stands by Davis and of course Davis hits a broken bat homer just over the wall in right. Hardy scores ahead of Davis for 2 runs.
    3. Jones strikes out.
    4. Wieters flies out to Tabata in the foul territory in right.
    5. Reynolds goes down on called third strike.

7 innings complete from a point in the Milky Way solar system:

PBC 1
    BAL

BAL 7, that is.

135. CWalton_67 says:

Well….didn’t take long to let the air out of the bubble…did it?

Could not agree more strongly with your post, Mr. Playoffs.

137. cosmo says:

@ Playoffs

He (Pedro) seems to me like he doesn’t want to be here. Like he is playing lackadasical to get traded somewhere else.

Moving along to the 8th

LHP Troy Patton pitching for the O’s

1. Matt Hague pinch hitting. Strikes out.
    2. Nice play by Roberts retires McGehee.
    3. Alvarez grounds out to Roberts to retire the side.

We have played 7.5 in the fine maritime city of Baltimore:

PBC 1
    BAL 7

I’ll go on record and say Pedro will never be a great player. Perhaps not even a good one. Find a sucker to move him to.

Joel Hanrahan, needing the work, now pitching.

141. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs – your post is so true. All players at this level have talent but what truly separates the great ones is the desire, the hate to lose mentality.

142. cosmo says:

Looks like it is up to the former Oriole to come out and throw a gem tomorrow to salvage one game in this series.

143. bob hasis says:

I think Hurdle must be fired, for not having the courage or brains to remove PA and PU (BARMES). Then let the new manager hire his own hitting coach.

Anytime before we return home after 6 straight loses combined in Baltimore and Cleveland will be OK with me.

Let’s see how much courage NH has. It’s his duty.

On to the bottom of the eighth kids.

1. Betemit leads off the Oriole 8th with a base hit. Wilson Freakin’ Betemit.
    2. Pearce hits to Walker who forces Betemit at second. Pearce safe at first as Bucs unable to complete the DP due to Pearce’s speed.
    3. Flaherty strikes out.
    4, Roberts strikes out.

8 are in the books at Camden Yards:

PBC 1
    BAL 7

Anybody still out there for the ninth in this stinker?

rhp Pedro Strop in for the birds.

146. JRay3 says:

A lot of talk today about the slowness in which the Pirates advance pitchers. While Cole is still dominating A ball with not much to left to prove at that level his former UCLA teammate and later first round pick Trevor Bauer made his first start today in AAA.

I wonder if that could have an impact in signing Appel especially with the team unable to shower him with money. If he returns for his senior year he does lose leverage but Boras represented Cole and must observe how the Pirates are handling him and could convince Appel he could get fast tracked in another organization if he does not get above slot dollars…just a thought.

I’m here. Just got in from the 19th hole. I’ve been watching though.

148. Playoffs by 2012 says:

*** This is just my opinion. I have no advanced knowledge of the situation ***

I don’t think it is a matter of him not wanting to play for Pittsburgh. They’ve given him a far longer leash than many other teams would have.

I think it comes down to pressure and frustration. This is a guy, by all accounts, who has never really failed like this before. Things have come quite easily to him. When adjustments needed to be made he was able to make them on the fly and succeed again.

Only now, the skill level of everyone else is equal or better than him. The adjustments aren’t working, so the skill is doubted. Add on top of that:

– the extended holdout and subsequent contract squabble when he was drafted
    – coming into his first training camp overweight and really out of shape
    – the quick rise through the system
    – early struggles at the pro level followed by an outstanding last 5 weeks of that season
    – coming back into camp the next year again out of shape and overweight
    – the horrible 2011 season
    – the refusal to go to winter ball
    – the bad start to this year

All that would make one doubt themselves and their skills. But the true leaders, the true champions rise above all that. They find a way to make things work both physically and mentally. My feeling is that Alvarez CAN be an outstanding major league player.

He has all the tools and skills to be able to hit 30 homers, drive in 100 and hit at the very least a respectable .270 – .280. The question is, does he really want to do that? Can he rise above the struggles and be that player we all want him to be? Unfortunately, only time will tell.

149. cosmo says:

@ JRay

good point. If we would have drafted Strassburg he’d probably still be in Altoona.

150. JRay3 says:

Surprise, surprise Tabata with a base running gaffe….somethings never change

151. JRay3 says:

@ cosmo – hysterical

152. bob hasis says:

PLEASE TELL ME WHERE LEYVA WAS ON THAT FREAKIN” PLAY??????

153. Welcome back to 2 games out of first place, but luckily we are still 3 games over .500. Let’s salvage at least one game tomorrow.

Last licks for the Buccos:

1. Tabata leads off with a stand up double.
    2. Josh Harrison, who came in to play short in the top half of the inning, draws a walk. two on nobody out.
    3. McKenry looks at a wicked breaking ball to strike out. The Fort actually ducked and the ball came back over the plate.
    4. Presley pops up but falls between Betemit and Pearce. Pearce then throws to third to Strop covering to get Tabata at third.
    5. Walker grounds out to end it.

We are finished in Baltimore. Your Final:

PBC 1-8-1
    BAL 7-13-0

Joggin’ Joe Tabata.

That’s it folks. Steve have fun. Take care fellas.

157. twentytwo22 says:

Complete & utter embarrassment. They’ve spent two games of throwing up on themselves. They look like a bunch of little leaguers. Not Dwight Gooden good kind of little leaguers because of the joy and fun they have on the field but the bad kind of little leaguers because of their low level of play. The Pirates are officially spooked and unless they unspook themselves they are toast. Small-time, small-stage, fragile-minded losers.

158. Thanks John. I’ll post photos from the event and game when I get back.

159. JRay3 says:

@ Steve – enjoy the game tomorrow and bring us back a W, we need it.

160. pghboyinca says:

Two plays that epitomoize the Pirates. McKenry ducking at strike 3 and Tabata looking like he has no interest in the game.

That strange “wooshing” sound you hear is a whole lotta bandwagon jumping.

(Excuse me while I look for a safe place to jump)

162. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Well this was an utter crap-fest tonight, and the UNDER took this one easily. Thanks to everyone who played and see you tomorrow night.

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    manny_sanguine ** -60
    Mike C. ** -70
    bob hasis ** -75
    TDB1977 ** -140
    Arriba Wilver ** -230
    GlassHalfFull ** -282.5

163. Thanks JRay, I’ll TRY my best. Good luck tomorrow on reaching and surpassing that 500 mark.

164. T.S. says:

Pedro Alvarez is on his way to being the next Brad Eldred.

165. pattonbb says:

@bob hassis – Did I really just see you calling for Hurdle to be fired? Are you serious? I mean, ARE YOU SERIOUS?? I really enjoy your posts and passion in here, but I think you might’ve blown a gasket.

Look, I’m as disgusted with these last couple games as anyone. But lets keep things in proper perspective. The Orioles are 10 games over .500 and play in the strongest division in baseball. They’re good. They’re very good. This is what happens when a good team plays up to their potential. Just because we swept the Cubs (a terrible team) and the Royals (another terrible team) doesn’t mean we should start buying playoff tickets.

The Pirates are the worst hitting team in baseball. Until that changes, we should be counting our blessings that we play in a very weak division.

Lets see if Huntington and Company have the “stones” to make the tough decisions that are looming. Firing Clint Hurdle isn’t one of them.

Arriba? -230? You’re killing me.

TS – He’s looking UP at Eldred.

167. Playoffs by 2012 says:

A better comparison for Pedro Alvarez would be Brandon Wood.

168. twentytwo22 says:

Jose Tabata is the guy who was going to be forced out at homeplate on the Hague flyball to Hosmer in right but the catcher bobbled the ball. I want this guy off the team.

No Playoff. Ed Wood.

170. JRay3 says:

The frustrating part are the same mistakes being made over and over…Tabata has had far too many base running gaffes, he gets picked off bases, is sleeping on bases, makes poor decisions on bases at some point coaching has to enter the equation.

It is now mid-June the team cut ties with McLouth when will the team figure out that Barmes is both a hitting and defensive liability? His bases loaded AB after a guy just walked and hacking at first pitch he sees is inexcusable. Somebody please tell me what he offers the team. What message does it send to the rest of the ball club and why did they even recall Mercer, he would be better off playing in Indy if there is no intent to give him a shot.

How much longer can the team afford to send Correia out there every fifth day? he has been awful since second half of last year, gives up too many HR’s does not have strikeout capability, it is time to move on especially considering we have a few arms deserving of a shot to show what they can do in Owens and Locke. it just feels like a loss each time he is scheduled to throw before the game ever starts.

And Pedro, well just let’s not get started with him as I am at a loss with him both in the decisions he has made in his career and the way the team has handled him.

171. T.S. says:

@JRay3

Well played.

172. bob hasis says:

@pattonbb

I have blown a gasket – at Hurdle and here’s why, in no particular order of disgust.

1. He hired Leyva who has made more blunders with bad decisions or no decision, like tonight. I don’t care how stupid Tabata is but Leyva HAD to be yelling come 1/3 of the way!!!
    There was no possible tag up, but they had to play for the possibility of a drop or a misjudged ball. Leyva is NEVER on top of the play. Leyva should be replaced NOW!!!

2. Hurdle doesn’t have the wisdom or courage to bench Barmes or Pedro; if he did, that is what would have happened. And just who is coaching Tabata on the basics of running the bases. These are glaring omissions on Hurdle’s part for not acting responsibly. You know, “the buck stops here”

3. We have all in this blog at one time or another called for Ritchie to be fired. Has he been?
    Hell no and we still can’t hit, run the bases, bunt etc Hurdle doesn’t have the wisdom or courage to make that change – or is too loyal to a failed cause. Either way, it’s on Hurdle.

I won’t bore you and make this a thesis on incompetence, but there is more.

One final point, who on that field management team is responsible for teaching those guys THE STRIKE ZONE? AND HOW TO IDENTIFY A SLIDER, CURVE OR CHANGE UP FROM A FAST BALL?
    all of that folksy charm Hurdle exudes in interviews has worn off of me already. Time to get serious with those unaccomplished neophytes.

173. T.S. says:

Don’t look now, but Brandon Moss now has 4 HRs with the Oakland A’s. ;)

174. T.S. says:

@bob hasis

Excellent points.

175. bob hasis says:

Thanks T.S and maybe we can get pattonbb to understand.

176. bob hasis says:

@pattonbb

Now that I have addressed the first two lines of your admonishment of me, let me get to the rest of your silly entry.

It sounds like you are willing to accept mediocrity by admitting we can’t hit but you are not prepared to find out why and then make the required improvements.

You acknowledge we are in a weak division, so if we win that, that’s OK with you. A weak hitting could manage to win it. Are you aware the goal is to win THE WORLD SERIES?

You intend putting this incompetence on NH. Not so fast; this, what I spoke about is Hurdle’s department – the on-field shenanigans.

You may be too young to remember Vince Lombardi, the great coach of the Green Bay Packers, the dude who was honored with having the Super Bowl trophy named after him.
    With no sarcasm intended, he had many great quotes – not as profound as Yogi Berra -but the one quote attributed to Lombardi which I love is this; he told his team after they broke camp and were getting ready for the season, “I want you all to play hard, and never make the same mistake once”. AND HE MEANT IT.

Do you think any of the Pirates players, coaches, or the manager should try and follow that profound wisdom?

177. T.S. says:

That’s what I talkin’ about.