On location: Pirates 9, Indians 5

CLEVELAND — Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (33-31) vs. Cleveland Indians (33-31)

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: Progressive Field, Cleveland

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup vs. Cleveland RHP Jeanmar Gomez

1. Alex Presley, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, RF
  5. Casey McGehee, 1B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Matt Hague, DH
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Michael McKenry, C

RHP Brad Lincoln will start for the Pirates.

UPDATE 10:55 a.m.: Clint Hurdle came up with a novel approach with his orders for Lincoln here this morning: “Get after it!” Sounds pretty standard, right? Well, it isn’t in this case. Hurdle was put off that Lincoln looked to be pacing himself in the past two starts rather than cutting loose with his best stuff. Thus, he was hit hard. “Guys don’t want to be the weak link in the rotation, the one who only goes three or four innings. Today, I want him to go HARD. Don’t care how long he stays in.”

1:07: First pitch from Gomez to Presley, 78 degrees, cloudy …

Comments

Hague DH and Tabby sitting today. Lets hope the same top 6 can produce again.

It’s early so some baseball links

JAL’s The Pied Piper Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pirates Prospects Draft Pick Signing Tracker

PIRATE BLOGS

5—Pirates Prospects

Pirates Notebook: Bucs See a Power Surge

Prospect Watch: Strong Return to the Mound For McPherson; ZVR With a Good Start

Pirates Said to Have Interest in Joe Saunders

First Pitch: How Much Pitching Depth Do the Pirates Actually Have?

Has Alvarez Been Unlucky in 2012?

6 Bucs Dugout

Pedro Alvarez, Casey McGehee Lead Pirates To Blowout Win

7 Rumbunter

Million Dollar Arm Rinku Singh Shocking the World

All Ten Pedro Alvarez Bombs and One Special Pedro Prayer…

8 McEffect

15 Minneapolis Star Tribune

Here come Pirates, Reds

16 Seattle Times Times

Pirates, Phillies may switch places at trade deadline | Larry Stone notebook

SPORTS WEBSITES

17 PBC Site

Burnett wins sixth straight behind four homers

Notebook: Pitching reinforcements on the way to Bucs

Grilli follows in father’s footsteps

18 Baseball Prospectus

Taking a Step Back, Part Three

5. RobertoForever says:

Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads, especially DK. Enjoy the day with the kiddos.

DK: Thanks, but probably won’t see them at all today. I earn that Worst Father of the Year Award annually for a reason.

6. Playoffs by 2012 says:

To quote the great Ralph Kiner………..”It’s Father’s Day today at Shea Stadium, and I’d like to wish all you fathers out there a happy birthday.”

And with that, let’s open the window!!

Today’s OVER / UNDER (always just for fun of course)

Total Combined Strikeouts + Walks by Garrett Jones, Casey McGehee and Pedro Alvarez
    Line is 4.5

Anyone can play!! Everyone should TRY!! What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY LINE ***

OZ ** -75
    bob hasis ** -100
    Bizrow ** -230
    Arriba Wilver ** -230
    GlassHalfFull ** -305
    TDB1977 ** -340

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) 2012 Topps Roberto Clemente Card

Playoffs,

Once at a golf outing I attended, the foursome with the WORST scorecard all received basketballs.

So they could take up a new game.

(Just a suggestion.)

((i still play a little basketball. here and there.))

8. Jordan Mrvos says:

Would anybody besides me prefer to see Rudy Owens in Brad Lincoln’s spot? If push comes to shove and Owens shows he can produce at the top level, Erik Bedard (Highly Injury Prone) could be traded for a decent (and highly coveted) bat to improve this lineup. Any thoughts?

DK: To throw in my own, I’ll refer back to the post from a couple days ago that pushed for Owens’ immediate promotion. Once Jeff Karstens is ready, seems like a no-brainer that Lincoln would come out.

But we’ll see how it goes here today, I guess.

9. OZ says:

100 units on the over, thx

OZ

10. bman says:

@playoffs

I’ll take 35 on the UNDER

11. TDB1977 says:

I’m in last place! WooHoo! I’m glad this isn’t real chips. Anyway, put me for 100 on the ovah! :)

50 units on the undah, thanks

13. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@ OZ, you got it and good luck!!

@bman, you got it and good luck!!

@TDB, no where to go but up, you got it and good luck!!

14. Kevin says:

Time to get off the bench…I’ll go 50 on the OVER.

How cruel are DK’s employers? Not only send him away on business on father’s day, But to Cleveland, no less. :)

Happy Father’s Day, Dads. Very happy and proud to be a father myself.

Playoff, I think I won the bet yesterday?

17. Mike C. says:

1 am here… should I watch today’s game and doze off at work tomorrow or should I be a good lil boy and goto bed… such difficult life decisions

they’ve been showing all the games in Korean TV so far cause Sin-Soo Choo is such a big star here. a shame it’s only 3 games a year i get to see games in HD and not low bandwidth internet streams.
    oh well anyways

@playoffs I’ll take the over for 30. thanx again for all the extra work you put in for us.

@Playoffs:

100 on the under, if you please.

19. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@bizrow, you won the 50 on the Saturday line, but lost the AJ + J-Mac line for 100, as for today, you got it and good luck!!

@Kevin, the window welcomes you, you got it and good luck!!

@Mike C, you got it and good luck!!

20. Karen22 says:

Hey, JohninOshkosh—I’m from Cleveland…it’s NO Mistake-on-the-Lake! Rooting for the Pirates today, though (and I gave up, thankfully, on those Brownies many moons ago when we moved to Steelers Country).

Happy Father’s Day to you and all the fine Dads of the Asylum.

And—GET AFTER IT, Brad!

21. SlackBoss says:

@playoffs – please sir, 75 on the under.

22. Mlrgenuine says:

@Playoffs. Gotta make up for missing yesterday.

100 big ones on the Under please.

23. manny _sanguine says:

@playoffs,
    60 on the under pls

Hey Karen22:

Ha! I like Cleveland a lot. Been there a couple times and always enjoyed myself. I would say that I enjoyed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but Dejan doesn’t recognize its existence. Any town that has “A Christmas Story” museum is A-OK with me!

DK: What Rock Hall? The one that didn’t induct Kiss? Never heard of it.

25. JRay3 says:

Firstly want to second @ Roberto and wis all you Dad’s a Happy Fathers Day as well!

@ Playoffs – well I am at a fathers day breakfast myself and no time for research so hope this does not impede me. I will take 75 on the UNDER.

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

26. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@John, you got it and good luck!!

@Slack, you got it and good luck!!

@Mlr, welcome back!! You got it and good luck!!

@manny, you got it and good luck!!

@JRay, the oracle has spoken, now wager accordingly, you got it and good luck!!

Dejan:

I went to the non-existent Hall shortly after The Clash were inducted. With that induction the Hall had tricked me into accepting its legitimacy. But the KISS omission is an indelible stain, no doubt. Its like not having Mantle in Cooperstown.

DK: I did visit the special Clash exhibit on the upper floor. It was breathtaking. Never went back. Never planning on going back.

28. DemonDachshund says:

Happy Fathers Day Bizrow! Yes, I do remember dancing behind the Cobra sign in right field. It’s all because of you that I’m a Pirate fan… I’ll try not to hold it against you. :)

@Playoffs – Going with 50 on the UNDER.

You guys are kidding, right?

Kiss is the Pirates Charities Sign of heavy metal.

Drew:

Yeah, I guess ABBA is more deserving of enshrinement. May the KISS Army descend upon you.

31. Chico says:

@playoffs

Tough line… Ill go 25 on the over.

They’ll have to get in line. And it’s a long line.

Funny you should put those two bands together. Lotta similarities.

Well. Outside of enshrinement.

33. Nate83 says:

50 on the under. Thanks

Hope all are having a nice fathers day. I just ate more food then an human should ever consume at a buffet so I’m going to lay on the couch watch the Pirates and hope I don’t fall asleep.

Drew:

Which line is longer-yours or the line of groupies that have, how does the Bible put it, “known” Gene Simmons?

I’m not really a fan of KISS but their place in the theater and history of Rock was forever secured in the seventies.

35. Karen22 says:

The “Christmas Story” house is in the neighborhood (Tremont) in which my Father-in-Law grew up. It’s a zoo there during the holidays! And it’s still “Hot in Cleveland,” despite no “Kisses.” “Major League” city all the way, my hometown!

36. radio wave says:

At playoffs:
    My roller coaster score needs help.
    100 on the under please.

37. LuckyNKentucky says:

So much for Jordy being in the lineup today.

38. Nate83 says:

A win today gives us a winning 9 game road trip and our offense scored 6 runs in two of those losses. This feels more sustainable then last year especially if they pick up a bat for the middle of the order.

I know that Pedro is only hitting fastballs but his patients at the plate he has shown lately will get him in more fastball counts. I hope he can continue to show discipline at the plate.

39. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Demon, you got it and good luck!!

@Chico, you got it and good luck!!

@Nate, you got it and good luck!!

@radio, you got it and good luck!!

That’s a fair question. The line of Simmons groupies. The line of armies looking to descend upon me and smite me into the next world.

Let’s see what Dejan has to say.

Calling Dr. Love

41. likeabugonarug says:

My youngest (13) fixed me French Toast this morning (with very minimal help from his mom). YUMMY!!!!!

Actually, you would think that Kiss’ makeup artist would be in the R&R HOF. Who knows where they’d be without that person.

Playoffs – please give me 100 on the over. Think Pedro is good for 3 of those on his own.

DK – why didn’t you bring your family with you? Or are you not allowed? If they didn’t want to be at the game, they could drop you off there and go to the Cleveland Zoo. It’s a very nice one. Then they could pick you up after the game and take you out for dinner. Not like they have school tomorrow morning.

DK: They went to Sandcastle. Trust me, they don’t even know I exist right now.

Besides, I’m not real big on the Hallmark holidays. Always felt kind of fake to me.

42. radio wave says:

Lincoln is painful.
    And on the gm show they asked nh about manny, scary.

43. Officer Mancuso says:

Krimeny, at his age the only thing Johnny Damon should be stealing is somebody’s walker.

Rick Manning questioned the wisdom of positioning Walker in the outfield on that Damon run.

45. I’m a fan of the movie “Hitch.” Anytime it’s on, I’m a sucker to watch it.

In the movie, Hitch tells the Kevin James character, “tonight could be the last First Kiss that ______ Cole ever has.”

Today could be the last start as a Pirate that Brad Lincoln ever has.

Come on, Lincoln! Get ‘em!!!!

46. It came to me——Allegra

I can’t remember a time when Grady Sizemore played baseball. So glad the Pirates never got suckered into paying a salary to that injury collector.

Just a couple of more inches on that force out and we might have been talking about a concussed McCutchen. Whew!

49. LuckyNKentucky says:

Looks like another Cy Young candidate on the mound again today-with a 4 1/2 ERA.

50. JMB says:

El Toro seeing red again!

PEDRO!!!!

52. Dave G says:

Pedro comes alive! Bucs lead, 3-2 on Pedro’s 3 run dinger

Earl Weaver may have been correct about 3 run homers.

Those 3 run homers very nice

55. JRay3 says:

El Toro a 3 run bomb his third in two days, 11th of year and all of a sudden the Bucs lead! The three run HR an offenses best friend.

56. twentytwo22 says:

Ok they have the lead, now use 6 relievers to pitch 6 innings and get the win.

57. Officer Mancuso says:

Pedro was put on this earth to torture Pirates fans with glimpses of what could be.

58. Dave G says:

How important that the Bucs convert a Cleveland mistake into big runs. Great job!

59. JRay3 says:

Really would like to know the thought process behind recalling Mercer, he doesn’t get in a game at SS, does not pinch hit, doesn’t even pinch run for that matter. Did the FO want to avoid a AAA controversy with D’Arnaud?

Why get the lefty up if he isn’t coming in for Choo?

61. twentytwo22 says:

Putting a relief pitcher in the starting rotation is a bad idea? Wow, i am surprised.

Inability to get the shut down inning after taking the lead is infuriating. Hate it.

63. Dave G says:

I think we’ve just witnessed Lincoln’s ‘assassination’ as a starting pitcher.

64. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@likeabug, too late to get in on today’s action, sorry.

65. bob hasis says:

I wanted to send a shout-out to those two fantastic pitchers from Cleveland – Jimenez and Hagadone – for being able to hit the bat of Alvarez yesterday.It was a most noteworthy feat.

For weeks pitchers have been unable to achieve this rarity – big congrats to them.

66. JRay3 says:

Time to call the farm as Indo not believe Lincoln will be making another start. Have to question Clint not bringing Watson in to face Choo as there was no evidence of Brad being on his game today.

67. Playoffs by 2012 says:

That inning by Lincoln right there epitomized his tenure as a starter with the Pirates. He was given a lead and immediately coughed it back up. I personally don’t see how he can be viewed as a legitimate MLB starter at this point. He’s done some remarkable work out of the pen this year. Time to stick him back there for good.

68. JRay3 says:

Time to call the farm as I do not believe Lincoln will be making another start. Have to question Clint not bringing Watson in to face Choo as there was no evidence of Brad being on his game today.

69. I have unwaveringly called for Brad Lincoln to be a starter.

I was wrong!!!!

Make him go bye-bye.

Trade him/cut him/send him to Indy. Just get him outta here!

{I say that with extreme disappointment!}

ALEX!!!

71. JRay3 says:

Alex Presley has two hits this series and both are HR’s…big solo shot ties game back up!

72. Dave G says:

Prez HR knots it at 4!

I just hope Lincoln’s flirtation as a starter hasn’t messed him up as an effective reliever.

74. Who would guessed that Alex Presley would have more homeruns than:
    ——Jose Tabata
    ——Neil Walker
    ——Casey McGeheeheehee
    ——Rod Barajas

75. Officer Mancuso says:

Bucs r battling!

Rare 2 error play by Cabrera.

77. You CANNOT screw up double play balls!!!

Thank you, Cleveland!

78. Dave G says:

Bucs score 2 on a double-error by Cabrera to regain the lead, 6-4

79. JRay3 says:

How about that a botched DP ball results in two runs and the Pirates retake the lead on a very welcome gift.

@ Groat – I am with you, as I too, so wanted Lincoln to get a shot and make it as a starter but have seen enough to admit now is not the time for him and hope that as @JohninOshKosh mentioned it does not mess with him and the job he was doing in the pen.

80. Officer Mancuso says:

I would not want to be inside Cabrera’s head right now.

WOW!!!!!!!!

82. TDB1977 says:

Who is this Pedro Alavaez player?

Pedro having a season the past two games

84. JRay3 says:

Are you kidding me…Pedro for the second day in a row hits 2 HR’s, boy if he could just bring some consistency.

85. Officer Mancuso says:

PEDRO ALVAREZ. Wow.

86. Officer Mancuso says:

Pedro is exorcizing demons before our eyes. Unfortunately they seem to be posessing Lincoln.

87. likeabugonarug says:

Playoffs – not a problem(too late for window). Didn’t realize the time or when the game started. Figured it was 1:35. However, kinda looks like it’s a blessing in disguise considering the 3 of them only have 1 K/BB so far.

88. JRay3 says:

In past two games Alvarez, 4-7 4 HR’s, 9 RBI’s, 4 R’s…wow.

89. Eric Bowser says:

just finished unpacking from our camping trip to Cooks Forest, turn on tv and I’m seeing bottom of 5th, Bucs leading 9-4 after 2 HRs by Alvarez.

90. Mike C. says:

Pedro, talk about a streaky player
    the lows can be so low… but the highs are just WOW
    too tantalizing to give up yet

Thanks Demon, happy Fathers Day to you, Chris

Can’t wait for next weekend

Thanks Playoff, forgot about the 100 on AJ/JMac

Gang, still got two to give away for the 21st, and two for next Saturday

We’ll be in Section 103 rows BB and CC Seat 24s, if anyone wants to stop by on Saturday

Regarding the offer for tickets, will mail them tonight if you send me your address.

I would say for all he does for us, first dibs for Playoff??

bisbee1203@verizon.net

PEDRO!!!

Forgot to say, sign up for Dejan’s Lunatics

Post where you currently reside, and we’ll log the location in, if we haven’t already got a lunatic there

93. LuckyNKentucky says:

There goes Gomez Cy Young!

94. Dave G says:

Pedro is incredible this weekend. The moose is loose!

Bucs very opportunistic today. Their performance bodes well against a prolonged slump thisd season.

95. Officer Mancuso says:

Maybe momentum stories are superstitions, but if they’re not, today and yesterday may be HUGE for the Bucs. Whupped in Baltimore, then whupped and punchless in first game in Cleveland…then these 2 games. Hopefully setting the table for a July 2012 very unlike the one a year ago. 2 games are just 1/81 of a regular season. And yet….

96. Officer Mancuso says:

@DaveG re #95, did you invent the phrase “the moose is loose” as applied to Pedro? I’ve never heard it but it sounds perfect. Hopefully it will catch on!

“The moose is loose”

Much better than the El Burro stuff

I like it

98. Officer Mancuso says:

@Biz, yeah….meeses…er…moose…are huge – like Pedro when he’s on a roll. And only us geezers remember Bob Moose, and we’re already chronically confused, so no harm there. Happy Fathers Day.

99. Brian says:

Pedro Alvarez is now hitting .140 with 1 HR and 9 RBI in 86 AB when batting in the 4th spot of the lineup, and he is hitting .311 with 8 HR and 21 RBI in 74 AB in the 5th and 6th spots combined.

100. Boise Bucco says:

Holy crap…is Pedro officially in “eff-you” mode or what!?

101. Eric Bowser says:

almost a third HR

102. JRay3 says:

@ Brian – some pretty telling stats…and with that a double high off the LF wall for Pedro, just unreal how locked in he is.

103. Brian says:

Edit: Pedro now hitting .320 in 75 AB in the 5th or 6th spot.

104. Mike C. says:

screw work.
    pedro’s one man show today was totally worth it

105. JRay3 says:

@ Mike C – ha, now that is the spirit…lots coffee later I guess.

106. Officer Mancuso says:

Re 100 and 104 – amazing stat, the man does not seem to respond well to pressure. Interesting that Clint recently told him to quit changing his approach in response to bad outcomes, stick with one and make it work. Almost as though he wants to be too teachable.

You too OM

Now lets see the PBC bring this one home

108. Officer Mancuso says:

Don’t want to cast a hex here, but this team’s bulpen has rocked for 3 years now. No small thing.

OM, a Bob Moose card to the person that logs in as No. 250 ;-)

110. Keith says:

“The Moose is Loose” needs to be Dejan’s Monday column title. You reading this, DK?

111. Keith says:

Okay. Back to “Barmes is killing me.”

112. Playoffs by 2012 says:

#PedroSaysShutUpWindow

113. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs – too funny….@ Keith – ditto he has been killing me for way too long…I keep holding out hope he will eventually be addressed.

114. Officer Mancuso says:

The Moose is Loose! Credit to Dave G. After today it’s going to be much harder to give up on Pedro.

115. JRay3 says:

Pirates bullpen today – 4.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K’s…they keep stepping up.

116. Raise the Jolly Roger for another series victory!! Now lets go home and win some more series.

117. JRay3 says:

Behind the streaky hot bat of Pedro Alvarez and his 6 RBI performance the Pirates take the rubber match of the three game series with the Indians 9-5 and there was nooooo doubt about it.

The Pirates head home for a six game home stand winners of two straight and in second place in the Central 4 GB of the Reds.

118. Officer Mancuso says:

McGehee is looking like the man NH hoped for. AJ Bunett is definitely that man. Bedard is a question mark. Can Karstens come back as amazingly excellent as he was in 2011? GO BUCS

119. Playoffs by 2012 says:

#PedroSaysShutUpWindow

Really what else can be said? When Pedro is on, this team doesn’t lose. The UNDER wins relatively easily today, but more importantly the OVER wins for the series. Thanks to everyone who played. See you on Tuesday!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    OZ ** -175
    Arriba Wilver ** -230
    Bizrow ** -280
    GlassHalfFull ** -305
    TDB1977 ** -540

#PedroSaysShutUpWindow

Many miles to go, as OM said some questions

They gave us this one today though, and to the players credit, we made em pay

121. T.S. says:

@DK

Rock N’ Roll HOF? How about, where’s Rush? Talk about a travesty.

122. John Lease says:

Pedro’s HOT! Let’s see if it can last longer than 2 games.

123. JD says:

How bout them Buccos! Pedro bombs away again. I love to see misery in Cleveland.

TS – I agree. Rush rules. They are old as dirt but still bring it. I just bought their new album and am going to see them in Detroit and Cleveland this fall.

#FreeGeddyLee

124. RobertoForever says:

@JD

I agree – #FreeGeddyLee

And that Neil Peart is not too bad at striking those skins.

DK: Poor Alex Lifeson. He’s like the Shemp of Rush.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle