Final: Pirates 14, Cardinals 5

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (40-35) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (40-36)

Time: 8:15 p.m.

Site: Busch Stadium, St. Louis

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup vs. St. Louis RHP Adam Wainwright

1. Drew Sutton, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Rod Barajas, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Kevin Correia, RHP

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Good Lord Almighty, it’s bloody hot today. Let’s open the window (an put an AC unit in it)!!!

Tonight’s THREE PLAY FRIDAY OVER / UNDER (always just for fun of course)

Please specify which line you are (fake) wagering on, The Window is a terrible psychic

Line #1
    Total Combined Hits + Walks + Hit by Pitch for Pirates Hitters in Tonight’s Game
    Line is 9.5

Line #2
    Total Hits by Pedro Alvarez This Weekend Against St. Louis
    Line is 4.5

Line #3
    Total Wins by the Pirates This Weekend Against St. Louis
    Line is 1.5

Anyone can play!! Everyone should TRY!! What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY LINE ***

lawnbeaver ** -150
    Mike C. ** -170
    GlassHalfFull ** -305
    Kevin ** -450
    TDB1977 ** -740

2. OZ says:

Line #1…..100 on the over….

Thank you window, as always.

3. RobertoForever says:

Haha, LOVE it.

Clint putting out Tabata and Barmes just to drive the commenters crazy, lol.

That or they are the best options in the eyes of professionals. Team is doing quite well with those guys in there.

#LetsGoBucs

4. Kevin says:

Line 1 – 100 on the over as well, Playoffs

Thanks – again.

5. OZ says:

Could be doing even better w/o them in there.

6. bob hasis says:

For you Hurdle admirers, have fun tonight.

The “professional” manager of the Pirates is threatening his RF, sometime LF with a demotion, but things are hunky dory because the team has a decent record? I’m glad Clint is wearing his contacts. Bet Tabby doesn’t think they’re hunky dory either.

8. TDB1977 says:

Line #1

Over for 100

Line #2

Over for 100

Line #3

Under for 100

9. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Throw em to the wolves and see what’s happening. Who knows what CH has been working on with Tabby……..I hope a lot.

@Playoffs

Line 1: 100 over
    Line 2: 50 under
    Line 3: 75 over (fingers crossed)

10. JD says:

Playoffs – I love Three Play Friday. Especially when I’ve hit Happy Hour early. Give me 100 units on the over for all 3 please and keep the drinks coming.

Go Bucs!

Ps – remind me tomorrow what I bet. Thanks.

11. MadTurk says:

@ Bob

Barley’s and Hops (South Park) – Was last there during Octoberfest.

12. manny _sanguine says:

@playoffs,

Line 1 – 50 over
    Line 2 – 50 under
    LIne 3 – 50 over

thanks

13. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@OZ, you re welcome, you got it and good luck!!

@Kevin, you are welcome also, you got it and good luck!!

@TDB, you got it and good luck!!

@Ryan, climb that ladder, you got it and good luck!!

@JD, ahh happy hour(s), where the beer flows like wine, enjoy it and please drive safe, you got it and good luck!!

@manny, you got it and good luck!!

14. radio wave says:

at playoffs:
    100 on the over for lines 1 and 2.
    Let’s hope the bucs are as hot as the weather.

Playoffs, you da best, keep us posted on how the interview went

I’m feeling frisky tonight, Arriba is in my sights

100 on the OVAH for all three lines

Line two is the only one I’m worried about.

Lookin for new lunatic signups, just post where you currently reside, double bonus coupons for the folks that keep us safe, quadruple bonus coupons from anyone from Manitoba

I think Dejans Lunatics infect 205 confirmed places

BEAT EM BUCS

I think we

got many more places than 205 (stupid fingers….)

17. RobertoForever says:

Some speculate that the team could better without them. I certainly wouldn’t bet on that considering who the replacements are. JHay, AP and Casey batting. 230, .230, and. 234 respectively.

Oh and those 3 have a COMBINED OPS of .192 vs Wainwright. While only the two batters of Tabata and Barmes have a combined OPS of 2.218.

18. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@radio, you got it and good luck!!

@bizrow, you sir are the best, you got it and good luck!!

19. @Playoffs, Most of this is wishful thinking, but I am going to go OVER on all three lines. 100 for the first two and 50 for the series line #3.

20. @Playoffs, forgot to say Thank you. Also since I wasn’t able to get on to say anything yesterday, good job on the interview and Good Luck on the follow-up!

21. Stuart says:

Window

25 escuderos on each line #1 and line #2 on the under, and 50 escuderos on line #3 for Over.

Stuart 66

Make or break weekend for Jose. If he goes down and Starling comes up, Jose may never see the ‘burg again!

@Steve

Tis the season for wishful thinking ;-)

23. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Steve, thanks I really appreciate that, you got it and good luck!!

@Stuart, you got it and good luck!!

24. Dcpinpgh says:

Over for 100 on all three

25. Chico says:

@playoffs…

Line 1: 75 on the over

Line 2: 30 on the under

Line 3: 25 on the over

26. bob hasis says:

@Mad Turk #11

I too was there as well, also on St. Patrick’s Day. Love the revelation of the new craft beer phenomenon. Never realized how good beer REALLY is once, you get passed the commercial names we were weaned on.

Include yourself in this thing if we can find a convenient day. As mentioned hoppy hour makes sense 4:30 to 6:30 Mon -Fri.

I stop 2 or 3 times a week. Of course we only have a small window because The Real Window of Playoffs will await – unless we do the unthinkable and over extend our stay.

27. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Dcpin, you got it and good luck!!

@Chico, you got it and good luck!!

28. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Ryan Doumit gets a two year extension from the Twins

29. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

South Park? Where are you guys located?

30. pattonbb says:

Tabata stats against Wainwright .444/.500/1.000

He has to play tonight.

31. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Good for Doumit. He’s had a decent season for the Twins.

I think the AL was a good thing for him.

Glad to see him do well.

32. MadTurk says:

@bob hasis

Thanks, I will keep it in mind. A little hard to make it for happy hour during the week, if I can it would be around 5:20 at the very earliest.
    Is there a line on the amount of beer consumed?

33. bob hasis says:

@Ryan

I’m in Pleasant Hills. Takes 10 -15 minutes to get there, usually. Are you in the Burgh?

34. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@bob

I am not, but that’s where I grew up, actually in Jefferson Hills……when it was called Jefferson Boro.

Small world.

35. bman says:

@playoffs

I’ll make this quick so the window can keep the cold air inside

Line 1: 50 on the UNDER
    LIne 2: 80 on the OVER

36. SlackBoss says:

@ playoffs

Line 1 – 75 on the over

Line 2 – 50 on the over – based on 2 days games and Pedro’s ridunkulous BA in day games

Line 3 – 50 on the under

37. pattonbb says:

Playoffs –

Line 1 – 100 over
    Line 2 – 50 under
    Line 3 – 50 over

38. JRay3 says:

@ Roberto – FYI…team is below .500 when Barmes starts, and is above .500 when he does not. So record does not support the earlier assertion. No time now but I will get exact numbers later. He needs to sit but blind loyalty is winning out, too bad for the club.

39. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs – Triple play Friday is back and the Pirates are going for win # 3 in a row ironically enough tonight.

Want to quickly play the lines but no time to do much research so going to have to wing it here.

Line 1 – 75 on the OVER

Line 2 – 50 on the UNDER

Line 3 – 100 on the UNDER

Thanks so much! Let’s Go Bucs!

40. dcpfjr says:

Playoffs,

Line 1 – 50 on the over

Line 2 – 100 on the over

Line 3 – 100 on the under

41. Lawnbeaver says:

@playoffs

I’m feeling really optimistic, the heat must be getting to me. Give me 100 bones on the over for all 3 lines.

If I lose again I am going to have start dipping into my kids college fund.

42. bob hasis says:

@Ryan

So you went to TJ. My kids and Grandchildren who live here also attended.

43. DemonDachshund says:

@Playoffs -

Line 1 – 50 on the under.
    Line 2 – 70 on the over.
    Line 3 – 30 on the over.

44. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I did not, but I would have had my parents decided not to move to florida…..something about shoveling snow.

My older brother did though.

45. Evan says:

@Playoffs 100 on the over for each please!

46. OZ says:

Bob Hasis: You related to Eric and Denise Hasis from TJ?

@Playoffs:

Friday I’m in love:

Line 1 50/Under
    Line 2 50/Over
    Line 3 50/Under

You tha man!

@JD Whatcha drinking tonite? :-)

Playoffs:

Although Biz putting me and “feeling frisky” in the same sentence makes me a little uncomfortable, I’m going with

50 on the Under for line # 1

50 on the Over for line # 2

25 on the Over for line # 3
    :-)

49. Mlrgenuine says:

@Playoffs

Line #1 – 100 on the over

Line #2 – 100 on the over

Line#3 – 25 on the over

Lets Go Bucs!

50. JRay3 says:

Pirates record when Clint Barmes starts – 31-32 .492

Pirates record when Barmes doesn;t start – 9-3 .750

Are the Pirates better with Barmes in the lineup? Is he the best option?

51. RobertoForever says:

@Playoffs,

First, Congrats on the success of the first interview and here’s to success with the CEO

On the lines

#1 – a real toss-up here. Do you go with Wainwrights recent numbers and his recent starts vs the Pirates (go under) or go with the recent hitting success of the Battlin Bucs in the month of June ( go over). I think I will trust the euphoria of the Bucs batting success and go 80 on the over.

#2 – Love Pedro’s daytime success, and just as for Thur game, I called for a Pedro connection, I see at least 1 HR and probably 2. He is facing 3 RHP, but only 1 series in recent history has he had 5 hits. So I will take 70 on the under.

#3 – I don’t think the pitching matchups line up very well, so I see a tough hill for the Buccos to win the series. But I certainly could see it happening. I think I will go 50 on the under and hope they are just fake units wasted.

Thanks again and love the 3 for Friday deal.

52. LuckyNKentucky says:

OZ,

He’s Eric’s great-grandfather.#46

53. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@bman, Slack, pattonbb, JRay, dcpf, lawnbeaver, Demon, Evan, John, Arriba, Mlr, and Roberto, thank you all, you got it and good luck!!

54. RobertoForever says:

@JRay

According to Clint’s decisions, Yes and Yes.

Its easy to have a little success when you are put in there when the match up is better for the replacement, but to have long term success over the grind of the season, good match up and bad, is much more difficult.

Oh, and the team record with Ronnie Cedeno as starter was 54-65. So I guess I will take the improvement.

55. Just saw that it is a cool 102 degrees in St Louis right now. I had the thought that what if Ross Olendorf was still on the club and pitching tonight? He would have lost about 30 pounds of sweat during the first inning alone that way he sweat. Let’s Go Bucs! Kick some Redbird behind.

56. JRay3 says:

@ Roberto – So you do not think Clint’s decision has anything to do with loyalty, contract status GM got them into?

How do you explain Barmes being one of the worst fielding SS in MLB. How do you explain Barmes having the WORST OBP, I will repeat the WORST OBP in MLB of ANY player with 150 AB’s.

If you are no good at defense and you are the worst hitter in all of baseball I will go with no and no.

Cedeno was below .500 as a starting SS and so is Barmes, I have seen that for 19 years and hold out hope this year will be different, unfortunately Barmes will not aid in that hope. The numbers display that quite vividly.

I do want to admit you were spot on with Barajas, very good call on your part, just can not get on board with this I think many have seen enough.

57. RobertoForever says:

Now THERE’s an interesting assertion

“Clint (Hurdle) is not interested in winning”, because he put out what he thought was the best lineup for the night. Hmmm, even the numbers against Wainwright suggest that McGehee struggles mightily, Jhay hasn’t faced him, and AP doesn’t have a hit against him yet. But Barmes and Tabata have documented success against Wainwright.

Oh and nevermind that Tabata is 5 for 15 in his last 5 starts. How terrible.

58. RobertoForever says:

That was Tabata is 5 for 15 in his last 4 starts.

59. Nate83 says:

Line 1 100 on over
    Line 2 100 on under
    Line 3 50 on over

60. JRay3 says:

Does anybody know with Barajas back in the lineup if any move was made with Fryer?

61. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Nate, you got it and good luck!!

25 total players tonite, thank you all, have a safe weekend and GO BUCS!!

62. RobertoForever says:

@JRay

I love how you equate a 45% winning percentage with a virtual 50% winning percentage. If they win tonight, then will you argue that your 19 year nightmare might be over with Clint at SS?

I wish we had Jeff Keppinger for SS. I wish we had signed Jamey Carroll this offseason. But we don’t. We have Barmes and Jhay (not an everyday SS and is hitting .179 in games started at SS) and Sutton (also not an everyday SS)

What do you propose? DFA’ing Barmes?

Actually JAL’s stat of the week was the final straw with Barmes for me. White Sox saw their glaring problem at 3B and went out and did something about it because they are in a playoff race. PBC ought to do the same at shortstop, either internally or externally.

64. JRay3 says:

Nice rip by Cutch, 2nd and 3rd one out, time to cash in early.

65. Playoffs by 2012 says:

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

66. JRay3 says:

The Pittsburgh Kid with a big two out hit to drive in 2….Bucs take early lead!

67. pattonbb says:

Even the outs that were hit appeared to be stung. Might have some fun against Wainwright tonight.

68. Nice knock by Walker to score two in the top of the first. Jones ripped one just before but as usual with the Cardinals – right at someone. At the end of one half 2-0 Good Guys!! Come on Kevin, pitch a gem.

69. RobertoForever says:

@Playoffs

Thanks for the link on the Doumit / Twins link. I am glad he has found some success with the Twins. Adding in that 40% DH’ing has helped to keep him healthy this year. Works well in the AL. He was genuinely nervous coming back to Pittsburgh, and he was relieved when he got a warm reception.

I will be rooting for him to be part of the solution for my favorite AL team. Hope we end up seeing a Pirates – Twins World Series in the near future ;)

70. mayhay22 says:

Supported the Barmes signing, but his time needs to end. Mercer, D’Arnaud, Holt, Sutton, J-Hay, whomever…just make the madness stop.

71. JRay3 says:

Scored five in first versus Philly yesterday and did not add on in final 8 innings. Score two in first tonight but have to add on as game progresses.

Typical Barmes AB, look at a fastball right down the middle of the plate and than swing at a slider in the other batter’s box to strike out…sigh…the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Nice hit Correia!

72. Fitting that of the three batters so far this inning, Correia is the one that gets the hit. Good on him! Come on Drew!

73. JD says:

Hey OshKosh – beers at happy hour. Now gin & tonics at neighbors party. Good news is no BW3 tonight. I’ll be at my house at 10:00 watching on Directv.

Cheers to all!

74. JRay3 says:

@ Mayhay 22 – Amen

75. bob hasis says:

@OZ

Eric is my son

76. mayhay22 says:

Scratch that…Sutton needs to be traded for a PTBNL other than himself after those two K’s.

77. bob hasis says:

@Lucky

There are days when it feels that way

78. 2-1 now after the lead off double scores after two groundouts. If the infield is in, they likely don’t score on that easy grounder to short – one would have hoped. We need to add on.

79. And the early lead is soon to go bye-bye if he can’t get out of this 1st and 3rd with no out situation.

80. JRay3 says:

Lead off walk to Furcal, get behind in the count to Jay and give up base hit and trouble is brewing. Just get us through six innings KC and keep it close. He scares me in the rotation.

81. JRay3 says:

St Louis with so many weapons at the plate….Beltran on his 2,000th hit ties the game up and still work to do to get out of inning.

82. OZ says:

Bob Hasis: Eric is married to my cousin. Her father was my mother’s brother.

Small world!

Their attending my grandmothers bday party in Washington tomorrow. I can’t attend unfortunately.

83. Game over early tonight. 5-2 on the three run bomb by the 2 for 2 Craig.

84. JRay3 says:

Ouch, and Correia hangs one and all of a sudden its 5-2 Cardinals.

85. Officer Mancuso says:

I’m starting to think that KC is a #7 starter.

86. Eric Bowser says:

yeah, so about that rotation?

87. Officer Mancuso says:

And his trade value is face-down.

88. twentytwo22 says:

Nobody combines mediocre control of mediocre stuff like Kevin Correia. The day he is no longer in the rotation there should be a celebration.

89. JRay3 says:

Well if the Pirates were letting other teams know Correia was available, this start has not helped. At any rate I certainly hope the team has backup plans in the works for his rotation spot.

90. Officer Mancuso says:

The game is not over at 5-2 in the 3′rd inning, the excellence of the Pirates pitching is not called into question by a bad Correia outing, and the bats have been excellent during the last month. Stay tuned. But I don’t think Correia’s very good in 2012.

91. JRay3 says:

That was the 7th HR given up by Correia in the month of June and his 14th allowed this year. Not acceptable, now is the time to call up Locke, Owens or Wilson.

92. Shawn says:

Well, it’ll be 12-2 tonight with the crap-tastic Kevin Correia going and probably 10-1 tomorrow with Karstens going. Maybe they can salvage the Sunday game. Love how the booth questions how the Cards keep getting these great players to come there and play…because they pay, first and foremost, second because they are a winning organization which strives for such and great players want to be a part of such, not mediocrity such as the organization does which we are forced to suffer with.

93. RalphM says:

Been watching the game stats on MLB GameDay and if the pitch tracks is to be believed, Correia should have a serious beef with the ump about the strike zone. He is not getting a lot of calls and it is forcing him to throw hittable strikes. He is not getting any close calls at all.

94. Mike C. says:

the Correia Jeckle and Hyde act continues! hope this is game is enough get him out of the rotation.
    sadly this game lessens his trade value as some trade rumors have mentioned.

and for those outside of Pittsburgh, MLB.com is having a Free Game day.
    check it out.

95. You got the answer right on the nose there Shawn. They like stroking the Cards all the time, but if we had all that money, players would be lining up to come to the Burgh too.

96. pattonbb says:

@ RalphM – GameDay pitch plots might not be accurate. Strikezone doesn’t appear to be getting squeezed. Just my opinion.

97. RalphM, I agree and I’m watching the game. Wainwright is getting some outside calls and even some inside ones.

98. RobertoForever says:

@Officer Mancuso

Agreed. KC had a streak where he had good road stats. That has been erased by these last 3 road starts.

But I certainly am not giving up on the game because its 5-2.

Btw, Barmes with a single just now. I’m not sayin’, just sayin’

99. JRay3 says:

Got off to a quick start but for second straight game having difficulty adding on runs.

Pirate broadcast shows pretty telling stat – STL 5.03 Runs a game Pit – 3.76, STL -.276 avg., Pit – .233. Run Differential STL – +69, Pit – (-6).

Nice hustle by Cutch on deflected single by Jones…Walker up with another chance to come up with big hit.

100. How about some more two out magic, Neil.

101. pattonbb says:

@ Ralph – Of course as soon as I defend the strikezone I see three borderline strikes called for Wainwright.

102. Shawn says:

Maybe Pedro will come through in the clutch here, but my gut tells me no. I hope my gut is wrong….

103. RobertoForever says:

@RalphM and @Steve

After the game is over, feel free to check the actual pitch locations yourself at this link.

Its awesome the way you can split up the pitch locations, even down to a specific AB

104. Shawn says:

Thank you for proving my gut wrong Pedro!!! :-)

105. Eric Bowser says:

Pedro with 3-run double… that’ll teach them to pitch around Walker, lol.

106. JRay3 says:

PEDRO!!!! Bases clearing double to tie the game at 5! EL TORO!

107. pattonbb says:

Pedro delivers with a bases clearing double!!

108. Big hit by Pedro!!! Way to go to tie it up. I know I said game over, but sometimes the negativity gets them mad and they make me pay for it. At times that’s why I do it. My way of coping. Come on Rod, just hit the ball. Quite trying to kill it.

109. Mike C. says:

wow, did anyone really want Pedro in this situation?
    good or bad, Pedro continues to amaze me either way

110. JRay3 says:

Wainwright at 91 pitches, Pirates will have crack at Cardinals pen soon.

111. @Roberto, I am watching the game and when they show the Range Resources strike zone, there have been several of Wainwrights pitches that have been balls called strikes – several have been the curves to lefties.

112. JD says:

Hey Shawn, sorry that Pedro had to ruin your spot-on prediction. Have a craptastic night!

Go Bucs!

113. Reading says:

Awesome shunning of overrated “plate discipline” by Pedro! Drilling the first pitch with bases loaded into the right field corner and clearing the bases.

114. With Pedro’s hit, that would give 9 hits and 1 walk for a big 10, the OVER wins tonight, now we can really focus on the game.

115. Shawn says:

I do the same thing Steve, of course more times then not it doesn’t work… Hopefully, Correia will not go out and give it right back up now.

116. The Gunner says:

Pedro is the man!! Hey Clint – better start getting the bullpen ready!!

117. RobertoForever says:

I wonder if the Cardinal fans are complaining about Wainwright and giving up 5 runs, and his 4.56 :D

118. Shawn says:

JD, I’m glad he did!…I want them to go 162-0 every year, negativity is a coping mechanism I do which doesn’t get my hopes up too high, because I know they generally are not as talented as most teams they play. I just found this blog and comments section and thought I’d have some fun, which I am. My night is not craptastic, it is actually quite enjoyable. Thanks for playing along though. :-)

119. JRay3 says:

Nice catch Cutch, that was close maybe time to turn the game over to the pen.

120. pattonbb says:

Was Cutch favoring his shoulder there? Looked a little awkward bouncing off the wall padding.

121. Did that JUST happen – Barmes with a HR tonight. Way to go Clint! 6-5 now for the Good Guys!!

122. pattonbb says:

Barmes with a round trip hit! C’mon Roberto. Lets hear it!!

123. AP joining the hit parade now with back to back round trippers!!

124. pattonbb says:

WOW!!! Love this!!

125. JRay3 says:

I’m sure Cardinals fans appreciate all the division titles they have won, the World Series Championship from last season (two titles in six years) and that Wainwright was 11-3, 19-8 and 20-11 before having to have Tommy John surgery, to be expected he might struggle some in his return. We will witness it first hand with Charlie Morton at some point next year.

Big Hits by Barmes and Presley to give the Bucs a 7-5 lead. The one thing you have to admire is this teams never give up attitude and playing the game for nine innings, to be appreciated!

Bullpen needs to cover four innings tonight, but somehow I always feel good with that unit. Let’s Go Bucs.

126. RobertoForever says:

Buccos now with SEVEN straight games with HR’s. And the Buccos hit back-to-back HR’s on back-to-back days! (Thx Tom_Singer on twitter!)

Also from 24/7, the Pirates now have the SECOND most HR’s on the road in the entire NL. 48 HR’s on the road. Second only to the cardinals (49). C’mon Pedro, Jonesy or Drew, you can get one tonight!

127. RobertoForever says:

Gotta love Barmes and Tabata with multi-hit games tonight. Clint the GENIUS!! Is it too early to start talking Mgr of the Year???

128. The Gunner says:

who’d a-thunk it? Homers by two of the most unlikely Buccos. Now how about Garrett!!

129. 2-Run shot for Jonsey!! 9-5 now. Keep it up boys!!

130. pattonbb says:

And the Legend delivers a 2 run shot!!! 3 hr’s this inning so far. Wow…

131. JRay3 says:

Wow! GI Jones a two run blast his 10th of the year! Three Home Runs this inning alone and the Bucs explode for a 9-5 lead!

132. The Gunner says:

Keep it going, Neil!!

133. Eric Bowser says:

really, I mean really!?!

Three HRs in one inning, hell this team couldn’t string together three hits in a game back in April and May.

134. TDB1977 says:

Come on, lets get Pedro up this inning so he have a chance to put one out of the park this inning.

135. RobertoForever says:

WOOOOHOOOO

The Legend !! With the line drive jusst clearing the fence for the 49th HR for the Pirates on the road.

Now #1 in the NL for road HR’s. Who was crying about our offensive woes. Loving this Lumber Company!!

Pour it on fellas!

No way the Pirates lose tonight.

The Pirates losing and Tom and Katie splitting on the same day would be just too much devastating news for one day.

137. The Gunner says:

Let’s strap it on ‘em, Pedro

138. pattonbb says:

Here he comes….can Pedro join the party?

139. #126 from Roberto, after that HR by Jones, we are now tied with the Cards for Road HR lead.

140. JRay3 says:

Anybody know the Pirates most hits in a game this year? Walker just pounds out the team’s 14th hit, twice in the last three games the Pirates have 14 hits.

141. The Gunner says:

Greg Brown is a lousy announcer

142. Eric Bowser says:

if Pedro gets any lift on that ball and it goes a long way over the fence.

Hitting is contagious

143. Mike C. says:

damn mlb.com and it’s game delay. I’m still waiting while they sub out Wainwright. =(

144. RobertoForever says:

Who knew the Pirates awesome hitting would pick up the pitching while it stumbles. Patience pays off as McGehee, Jones and others have really heated up.

Gotta love these Bucco. How can you not believe in them.

Lincoln with a good inning. Time for the bullpen to finish them off.

@Roberto:

Your comment on Cardinal fans and Wainwright got me surfing to some Cardinal blogs. What I could tell is many thought this would be an uneven year for Wainwright and that a full season would be needed to get him shipshape after the TJ surgery. Oddly, and I am not kidding you, I saw a few digs at Tabby. Lot of F bombs on the sites I looked at-even in some of the monikers. Then I left because I felt slimy lurking around Cardinal sites. Think I’ll go take a shower now or, with this weather, just stand outside in the humidity!

146. Looking at the radar here in Northern Virginia, it is about to get nasty quick. Storms that were in the Great Lakes this afternoon have flown down here and after crossing over the mountains have blown up in all this heat. Hope the power holds to watch the rest of the game.

147. JRay3 says:

Lincoln is back! His stuff is just filthy. Big outing from him in Philadelphia fro him and now two shut down innings on the Cardinals. He is turning into quite the weapon. Breaks off the bender to get Jay and then 96 gas to get Holliday

148. RobertoForever says:

@John,

That’s one brave act by you! Glad you came back alive, lol. Guess winning a few World Series will earn you some slack ;)

149. Mike C. says:

I know it’s early, but it’s SF and Cain vs cinci and Leake…
    A tie for 1st in NLC if very possible today

150. pattonbb says:

Lincoln joins the hit parade.

151. RobertoForever says:

Before this game, for June, the Pirates were 4th in OPS, 3rd in RBI and 2nd in Runs and HRs in the NL.

Guessing the Bucs move up after this game.

152. pattonbb says:

C’mon Bucs. How about a knock out blow here?

153. twentytwo22 says:

Love the walks by Tabata & McCutchen there.

154. JD says:

Hey Shawn – Sorry for the swipe at you. I too want Bucco wins. I hope your night is the opposite of craptastic. It must have been the beers talking.

Peace – Go Bucs!

155. RobertoForever says:

Pirates pitching in the NL in June have given up the 3rd most HRs, 8th in the league in ERs, struck out the 5th fewest, but have the second most wins.

#BeatEmBucs

156. RobertoForever says:

Multihit games by 5 of the 8 position players, and BOTH pitchers with a hit. Lets get some more.

157. TDB1977 says:

It’s Pedro’s time!

158. Station-to-station till Pedro hits a granny. That will be nice! Oh, and for those that read my note above. About 5 minutes after I wrote it the power tripped for a second, and I had to reboot everything. Now it is raining heavily and windy and lots of cool lightning.

159. JRay3 says:

Pedro with the Bucs third walk in the inning and it leads to his 4th RBI of the night….make them work!

160. I’ll take the walk to force in a run. Good AB by Pedro. Come on Rod, join the parade and hit that one further than you did earlier!

Stay safe, Steve. We need the rain here but not in buckets! My basement flooded earlier this year and years of old Sport Magazine, The Sporting News, Inside Sports and the National (anybody remember those?) were floating in the corner of my basement! I think my wife was secretly pleased.

162. RobertoForever says:

The Bucs previous highs in hits and runs were 14 and 11, both achieved two days ago.

New high for hits, tied high for runs.

163. RobertoForever says:

Lincoln with 3 strong innings with 4 K’s. Love the fireman.

164. TDB1977 says:

When Lincoln comes out of the bullpen, he enters BEAST MODE! Wow, he has some nasty stuff when he comes out just for a couple of innings worth of work. If Joel is ever dealt, I wouldnt mind Lincoln being our closer with the way he comes out.

165. JRay3 says:

@ Roberto – good info, thanks for posting.

166. pattonbb says:

Is this really happening?

167. Eric Bowser says:

Andrew McCutchen is killing LH pitching, killing it

168. JRay3 says:

@ Roberto – Make that a new high in runs scored with the CUTCH 3 run bomb! Two touchdowns tonight. 14 runs, 18 hits…speechless.

statement game?

170. RobertoForever says:

BOOM

Tabata walks and Cutch hits a HR! New season high for runs, and Pirates now are the BEST team in the NL for road HRs with 50.

Cm on now matt Cain, get it together, Giants.

171. TDB1977 says:

Let’s take a look at the lines for the weekend:

Line #1
    Line is 9.5

OVER Wins

Line #2
    Total Hits by Pedro Alvarez This Weekend Against St. Louis
    Line is 4.5

1 hit so far tonight

Line #3
    Total Wins by the Pirates This Weekend Against St. Louis
    Line is 1.5

1 win for tonight (Can they really score 9 runs to tie, 10 to win?)

172. pattonbb says:

Dejan, could this turn out to be that “seminal moment”?

DK: I’m still looking at Lincoln’s K. Actually, I’m still looking at NO seminal moment. Not yet.

173. RobertoForever says:

@JRay,

Gotta LOVE it. Wish I was there in that mostly empty stadium to be ringing the Cowbell for that HR

I think Playoffs is soon going to have to set a line on the O/U date in which the Buccos win #82!

175. RobertoForever says:

FIVE innings with crooked numbers for the Bucs offense! This is FUN, lol

Four of the Cards pitchers saw their ERA blow up, haha.

176. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

177. Raise the Black and Skull and Cross-bones of the Jolly Roger!!! Go for the series tomorrow.

178. JRay3 says:

Behind an OFFENSIVE explosion tonight that see’s the Bucs pound out 19 hits and plate 14, the Pirates take game one of the three game set over division rival St. Louis and there was nooooooooooooooo doubt about it.

For the second time this season the Pirates improve to six games above the .500 mark and earn their third consecutive win and now sit at 41-35. The Bucs will look for another series win tomorrow afternoon when Jeff Karstens takes the mound.

Let’s Go Bucs!

179. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

After tonight………EVERYBODY contributed. No complaints, let’s get back after them tomorrow.

180. twentytwo22 says:

Pirates finished strong, few at-bats were bad.

Alvarez hit a 3 run homer in the sixth inning for a sudden lead to avoid a sweep earlier in the year. Huge 3 run hit tonight after a 2 out rally to tie the game.

Good chance for a series win.

181. twentytwo22 says:

I’d like to thank the San Francisco Giants on their attempt tonight to play major league baseball.

The Dodgers are losing to anyone with two arms and two legs. They should be due to win next week.

182. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Buccos break out a big ol’ can of whoop tush tonight. OVER wins by a landslide. Thanks to everyone who played. See you early tomorrow.

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    Mike C. ** -170
    GlassHalfFull ** -305
    Kevin ** -350
    TDB1977 ** -640

183. twentytwo22 says:

I just thought of this

Tony La Russa is managing the NL in the ASG. He’ll inform McCutchen before the game that he won’t play unless it goes past 9 innings. Stick it to us one last time.

SWEEP THAT TEAM!

184. John Lease says:

6.bob hasis
    June 29th, 2012 – 4:44 pm This line-up tonight which includes Tab and Barmes, and excludes McGehee, Presley and JHay convinces me Hurdle is not interested in winning.

For you Hurdle admirers, have fun tonight.

We did!

185. bob hasis says:

I enjoyed the too John, very much. I had my doubts beforehand however.

Even my biggest enigma hit the game winning home run.

Kudos