Final: Pirates 3, Giants 1

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (46-37) vs. San Francisco Giants (46-38)

Time: 4:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup vs. San Francisco RHP Ryan Vogelsong

1. Drew Sutton, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, RF
  5. Casey McGehee, 1B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Michael McKenry, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. James McDonald, RHP

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

It’s just too darn hot today. Let’s open the window (but don’t let the cold air out)!!

Today’s OVER / UNDER (always for fun of course)

Total Pitches Thrown Today by James McDonald
    Line is 100.5

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY SINGLE LINE ***

54 Current Participants!!
    If you haven’t played yet, what are you waiting for??!!??
    Anyone can play!! Everyone should TRY!!
    What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    Pants-n-at ** -100
    Arriba Wilver ** -135
    Kevin ** -150
    bob hasis ** -225
    GlassHalfFull ** -305
    TDB1977 ** -740

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) 2012 Topps Roberto Clemente Card

2. JMB says:

@Playoffs

100 on the UNDER plz.

Thanks!

3. Bill Born says:

Stetson Allie hits first HR today up to .208
    Played first base.

4. bob hasis says:

Playoffs

This line is a trap for fools (made expressly for me), so I am going UNDER 100.5 for 100

Thank you for thinking of me when you set this line.

5. dcpfjr says:

100 on the under.

Thanks.

6. Kevin says:

Playoffs –

I gotta tell ya, you are GOOD…

I’ll take 100 on the UNDER for today, please. Thanks for adding another element to this already great (so far) season!

7. pattonbb says:

Playoffs – 100 on the UNDER.

As always, thanks.

8. Mlrgenuine says:

Playoffs – 100 on the under.

Lets Go Bucs!

So Slaten and Leroux cleared waivers and were assigned to Indy.

(If it was reported earlier, deal with it.)

10. TDB1977 says:

100 on the under

11. Steve J Smith says:

@Playoffs, I would like 100 on the UNDER, please. Thanks.

12. Naje says:

@Playoffs…

50 fake units on the over 100.5 pitches for JMac today.

thank you!

13. JRay3 says:

Matt Hague has been recalled from Indy, Eric Fryer finally optioned back.

14. radio wave says:

At playoffs:
    100 on the under please.

Playoffs, wonderful line again today

Was gonna go UNDAH, but JMac will get a long All Star break, sooooo 100 nuclear nuggets on the OVAH

BEAT EM BUCS

@Playoffs

I’ll take 50 on the under.

Thank you.

17. DemonDachshund says:

@Playoffs -

Ya know, I really like that I haven’t heard a peep from anyone with the Buccos complaining about JMac not being an All Star.

I believe Mr. McDonald speaks with his performance this afternoon and am putting 100 on the OVER.

18. Playoffs by 2012 says:

JMB, bob, dcpfjr, Kevin, pattonbb, Mlr, TDB1977, Steve, naje, radio, bizrow and Demon…..

You are welcome, thank you as well, you got it and good luck!!!

19. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Milo, you are welcome, you got it and good luck!!

20. LuckyNKentucky says:

Glad to see Leroux and Slaten clear. Sad about Moskos from day 1. Maybe he’ll make it to the Sox sometime this season. Velocity is down and elbow problems. No room on our solid staff.

21. twentytwo22 says:

The day before the Baltimore series started I compiled the Pirates record for each starter during their 3 division title years (1990-92). After those 4 games I wasn’t sure I would post it, but now is a good time. Just for anyone who is interested in how a winning team is created.

1990 is the most interesting because it was
    1. Doug Drabek had a great year
    2. Neal Heaton had a great first half
    3. Zane Smith had a great last two months (after the trade)
    4. The Pirates were .500 for everyone else

They need to fix Bedard’s spot in the rotation. The other weak link was taken care of and they took off.

2012

.588 Doug Drabek 20-14
    .421 Bob Walk 8-11
    .333 Denny Neagle 2-4
    .250 Victor Cole 1-3
    .593 PITCHERS 96-66

22. dcpfjr says:

Right now, it’s 97 with a feels like of105 in Pittsburgh. If J-Mac goes over, he’s superman.

23. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs – Interesting line this afternoon as it is split right down the middle. J-Mac has gone over the number eight times and under the number eight times in his 16 starts. Diving into the numbers a little deeper spots this trend…J-Mac has gone over the number six times at PNC Park in his nine starts at home.

I will play the trend here and go 75 on the OVER on a very tough line.

thanks and let’s get back in the win column!

Ace Playoffs: [narrating]

“The town will never be the same. After the Tangiers, the big corporations took it all over. Today it looks like Disneyland. And while the kids play cardboard pirates, Mommy and Daddy drop the house payments and Junior’s college money on the poker slots. In the old days, dealers knew your name, what you drank, what you played. Today, it’s like checkin’ into an airport. And if you order room service, you’re lucky if you get it by Thursday. Today, it’s all gone. You get a whale show up with four million in a suitcase, and some twenty-five-year-old hotel school kid is gonna want his Social Security Number. After the Teamsters got knocked out of the box, the corporations tore down practically every one of the old casinos. And where did the money come from to rebuild the pyramids? Junk bonds.

“But in the end, I wound up right back where I started. [Picture of Playoffs on the blog, sporting huge old man glasses.]

“I could still pick winners, and I could still make money for all kinds of people back home. And why mess up a good thing?”

NOW i know where i know you from.

25. bob hasis says:

Let me try and read Hurdle’s mind; last night he starts JHay at SS and he leads off. JHay goes 2-2 with a W, scores two runs – all in all a darn good night. Today he is on the bench, and is replaced by the epitome of mediocrity who is placed in the eight spot.

WHY CH WHY??? Please tell me and make smart. You eliminate your sparkplug from the top of the order who got on base for your power guys, and you bury his replacement eighth

I know you have a reason. Let’s see if it works out.

26. JD says:

Playoffs – I’ll place 100 HOT units on the over please.

Go Bucs!

Wadda ya say we get some more lurkers out there to sign into the Lunatic Nation?

If your current residence is not on this list, just post where you are from (New York, for example is a pretty big town, so post your neighborhood

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City
    Canada – Toronto
    China – Singapore
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park, Denver, Boulder
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann)
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Lincoln Park, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Mountain Home AFB*
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton
    Utah – Salt Lake City
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville

207 locations represented in the blog,
    10 countries
    38 states, plus the District of Columbia
    Two planets, at least confirmed
    7/7/2012 3:45 PM

28. JRay3 says:

@ twentytwo22- nice research…really enjoyed that post…takes me back to best memories I have of the Bucs.

29. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Drew71,

Thank you. That is the best thing I’ve read in quite some time. No one could pick ‘em like Left Rosenthal, may he rest in peace.

Sorry about Ginger.

31. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Drew

I loved that Cadillac………

32. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@JRay and JD, you got it and good luck!!

33. Cmat0829 says:

Can I have 100 on the over please thanks

34. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I like today’s lineup a lot more than yesterday’s at this precise point in time. Garrett is hitting on all cylinders right now regardless of pitcher and the lower part of the lineup guys McKenry & Barmes have been producing runs lately. J-Mac is another stick in the lineup too.
    Vogelsong doesn’t scare me any, either.

Ditto.

36. manny _sanguine says:

Playoffs,

100 on the Under today.
    Thanks.

37. pattonbb says:

Play Ball!!!!

Lets Go Bucs!

38. Pig Legs Robinson says:

And the extreme heat will definitely be a factor, but for both teams. We just got lucky and had nice little thunderstorm come through Plum Boro. Radar looks like another one coming through within the hour. I hope so, I have to go wash my work clothes at the laundromat where I will roast to death.

39. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@cmat and manny, you got it and good luck!!

40. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Window is officially closed, thanks to all who played today and good luck!!

41. Pig Legs Robinson says:

That’s okay, I’m not a gambler…or a rambler…and I guess I always will.
    (close to the actual lyrics from a ridiculous song from the 70′s, by I believe, the Marshall Tucker Band).

42. LuckyNKentucky says:

Yunz quit whinin’ It’s 103 here and the heat index is 110. Probably 85 and sunny at Drew’s estate in the Keys. J-Mac will hold up. Maybe not Vogelsong. Didn’t Mark Twain or somebody say the coldest winter they ever spent was summer in San Francisco?

C’mon down. Weather is nice and the water is great.

PS…what an odd time for a game.

@Drew

Blame FOX.

And what are you all whining about? Only 99 degrees up there.

We’ve got rain. Cooling it off quite nicely.

48. The Gunner says:

Greetings to all of you

Bedard has become a real weak link, he needs to come out of the rotation immediately. We are in a pennant race and can’t afford to have him in there. Rudy Owens or Jeff Locke deserve an opportunity; who knows, they might perform like Bruce Kison did when he was brought up in the glory year of 1971.

Cole Hamels wouldn’t be too bad either but I am sure that is not realistic.

By the way, Piggsie. There’s not such place as Plum Boro.

And I don’t care if you live there. That makes it even more so.

I can see Plum Boro from my house.

No wonder you lost the election.

So what, do you live in Blawnox, Milo?

Which also, by the way, I might add, does not exist.

You betcha. :)

54. RobertoForever says:

I am late and it doesn’t count but I would have gone over for 100,

J-Mac has been going ovr as of late and he will get extra rest. Beat em Bucs

ipso facto

@Drew

No, not Blawnox. More bars per square foot than any place in the country.

57. LuckyNKentucky says:

If there can be a Knob Lick in KY and a Salt Pork Lick in Arkansas, there can be a Plum Borough in PA. (Maybe not a Plum Boro).

Dejan just called.

He said nothing exists except downtown.

59. Pig Legs Robinson says:

It used to be Plum Boro but the young whippersnappers voted to change it to ‘Borough’ a few years ago. I refuse to change. It was Boro when I was born in 1965, and it will always be Boro to me.

60. pattonbb says:

Oklahoma Borough

Milo:

According to who? I have 12 bars within 4 blocks of me (3 of which open at 6:00 AM) and I live in a residential area.

BTW downtown is Downtown, Drew.

Nietzsche just called.

He said nothing exists.

John. Pick one. I’ll meet you there at 6:01.

@Oshkosh

Just a joke we make when going through Blawnox to get to Pittsburgh. You know, when 28 is under construction.

Smizik just called.

He said nothing.

66. JD says:

Hey Lucky, you left out my personal favorite, Big Bone Lick, up by Florence Y’all. By personal favorite, I mean the sign amuses me. Don’t any of you Sallys be getting any wrong ideas.

Go Bucs!

Drew: OK but lets meet in September so we can waive to the kids walking to school.

Milo: To be in Blawnox. in the summertime with my love.

I remember when I was a kid, gathering around the television with the family watching “Perry Como – Christmas in Blawnox”. Ahh, the memories.

69. LuckyNKentucky says:

JD,

Florence Y’all on that water tower, right? See it on 71/75 on the way back home all the time. There are a lot of wierd names up around Cincy. The Redlegs is one of them.

70. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Walker has the stick out today, way to go Bucs!

71. JRay3 says:

The Pittsburgh kid delivers with RBI double…now somebody get J-Mac some O2 and a cold towel.

hoo hah.

and also, give it up to McDonald for drawing a walk.

73. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Oh what wimps. These cloudbursts are only lasting like 5 minutes tops. I at least wish they had come out before Garrett Jones had 2 strikes on him.

Rain delay. Many in the crowd cheered when the rain started.

75. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Those concourses must smell like wet dog right about now.

So. If this lasts awhile, he’ll put Hanrahan in at the top of the fourth, right?

77. JRay3 says:

Let’s hope it doesn’t last too long and force J-Mac out as he was absolutely dealing out there.

Thunder just called.

He just shook his head.

(I know; how would I know, right? I just know.)

Just a random thought but does anyone remember the rule when games were called for darkness at Wrigley prior to the lights? Were they official games if the necessary innings passed? Did they replay them if below the official number or innings or did they continue from the point they were at when darkness was called? It seems to me it was the latter irregardless of the innings but I just can’t recall.

@Oshkosh

I seem to remember the games were suspended & picked up the next day or the next possible date.

Tarp is coming off the field.

@Oshkosh

How many folks remember the old “Blue Laws” in PA? A Sunday game could not start an inning after 6 PM, there used to also be laws that you could not start an inning during the week after Dejan went to bed

When I was young, most stores were closed on Sundays, now, hedoublells, some are open even on Christmas

I hope they do not send JMac back after this delay, he’s too valuable, I’m thinking its LINCOLN time

Thanks Milo.

Biz-did not know that. Interesting.

I think someone at the chat noted that he liked Dejan giving info about the other team’s beat writers’ twitter accounts. I like following Henry Schulman for the SF Chronicle. He is a funny guy and interacts with his readers via twitter. Here I copied and pasted a recent example of his interaction from his timeline that I thought was humorous:

Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman

You know, mom. You can change your handle a million times. I know it’s you. RT @GordonMoody: Can someone explain why I follow @hankschulman?

PA was called “The Quaker State”

Good stuff to pass on, IMHO

You could bring beer into Forbes Field, in a garbage can and ice, before plastic, guys would get toasted and climb the right field screen

GAWD I am ancient

86. Playoffs by 2012 says:

THE FORT!!!!

87. JRay3 says:

How about the FORT! His bat is alive…seven HR’s…might be earning some more playing time.

Of all the good things that have happened this year, nothing makes me happier than what Michael McKenry is doing. Seems like a genuine, well grounded young man.

89. LuckyNKentucky says:

No offense if any of you guys are Jewish, Muslim, atheists or whatever, but you’re right, Milo. He’s a fine Christian young man.

90. JRay3 says:

The more I see J-Mac, Burnett, Karstens work the more it convinces me Bedard has to go. Correia at least battles and can be a decent #5 never going to be great but competes and gives you at least a chance to win.

91. JRay3 says:

Why not…J-Mac is doing it all today…walk, run now a hit to go along with his dominant pitching.

I wonder if Tony La Russa is watching this? Or does he only pay attention to Cardinals games? I think the Baseball Writers Association should release their own All Stars teams. Players like J-Mac should be honored in some way for their great first halves.

That’s 90 pitches for JMac, for those of us keeping track.

94. JRay3 says:

@ JohninOshKosh- Great point…did anyone notice that Molina was replaced by Matt Holliday earlier this week in a swap of Cardinals. Holliday was not even in the NL final five what a slap at Bourn, Hill, Harper etc.

J-Mac with 9 K’s thru six…putting them on lockdown.

Must be really comfortable over there at 1st base.

96. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Atta-boy Pedro!!

How many homeruns have they missed by a foot this week ? Geez.

98. JRay3 says:

El Toro strikes again! opposite field double laced off wall and Bucs lead by two!! Robbed of HR by extra padding in that one spot in LF.

Here comes pitch 102.

100. JRay3 says:

Definition of a Pitching Gem – what we just witnessed with J-Mac’s performance today.

101. TDB1977 says:

Its going to be hard to have long losing streaks if McDonald, Burnett, and Karstens continues to pitch like they are.

102. Playoffs by 2012 says:

J-Mac goes 7 beautiful innings and throws 106 pitches as the OVER takes the win. Thanks to everyone who played. See you tomorrow.

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    Pants-n-at ** -100
    Arriba Wilver ** -135
    Kevin ** -250
    GlassHalfFull ** -305
    bob hasis ** -325
    TDB1977 ** -840

At least the pitcher was able to put some wood on it.

Oh wait. That was Gorkys.

Bob Walk on radio said this about DREW SUTTON: “He’s getting to be a favorite around here.”

Shall we attribute that to this blog and its leader?

105. twentytwo22 says:

McDonald pitches through a rain delay and gets 7 innings. A+

Gorkys hitting .111. McDonald hitting .121. All singles for both so same slugging %.

You wanna pull McDonald after seven? FINE. But if Gorkys is the option, might as well let James hit for himself before he showers.

I’m KIDDING. (Sorta.)

What is the statistical odds of having both a Gorkys and a Melky be in the same area code much less the same game?

109. Kevin says:

I have never been so happy to be such a loser…on the over/under that is. The All-Star voting/coaching is a joke. This guy needs to be there.

About the same that Gorkys will hit one out.

Hopefully McDonald is a favorite around Walkie too.

That was a masterful pitching performance. Especially considering the delay.

112. JRay3 says:

Grilli does it again, he is just an absolute shutdown 8th inning guy….credit where credit is due for FO pulling him from Phillies minors.

Ian Desmond says he is too hurt to participate in ASG and its festivities.

Oh, he homered today.

All Star Game is a joke.

Everybody’s a favorite today, JRay.

Well. Except Gorkys.

Well, this should be interesting.

116. JRay3 says:

@ Milo – thanks for that bit of foreshadowing…it already is…bunt are you kidding me?

117. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Helluva play by Barmes!

Be careful with Melky here.

119. JRay3 says:

@ Drew71 – well let’s add Casey and even Barmes to the favorite list after that play!

Hadn’t realized we got Gene Alley back.

121. Playoffs by 2012 says:

BARMES TWICE IN A ROW!!!

2 Good ones from Barmes; one out away!!!

123. TDB1977 says:

Two great, erm, awesome plays by Barmes and McGehee!

124. Playoffs by 2012 says:

As Cleavon Little said in Blazing Saddles, “Well, don’t just stand there looking stupid, grasping your hands in pain. How about a round of applause for The Waco Kid?”

Thank you Barmes!!

125. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Excellent Defense, Raise it!

Yesssssss!!!!!! Bring on 3-9 Timmy!

127. Playoffs by 2012 says:

RAISE IT!!!

128. TDB1977 says:

Raise it! Bucs win and are 10 GB above .500 again.

129. bob hasis says:

I think my MAIN MAN Barmes just earned a weeks pay. Great job!

They looked like a real good baseball team today.

DK: Yeah, all-around. How about that?

131. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones…..

132. Naje says:

Something special going on with this bunch….

Anybody else wish the break wasn’t coming. This is fun!!!

134. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I missed the line……probably would’ve gone over.

Great game! Tomorrow’s will be very similiar.

Those last 2 plays in the 9th by Barmes, is EXACTLY why he is out there. J-Hay or Sutton doesn’t make that play…….NO WAY

135. JRay3 says:

J-Mac pitches seven phenomenal innings to earn his 9th win and the Fort and Alvarez deliver monster hits as the Buccos take the middle game of the set versus the Giants 3-1 and there was noooooooooooooooooo doubt about it! The win moves the Bucs back to ten over the .500 mark and 47-37.

The Pirates will look to take their 17th series of the year tomorrow in the rubber match as AJ Burnett toes the mound in search of his 10th win.

Let’s Go Bucs!

136. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Bob

Good call…He makes plays like those 2, it doesn’t matter what his BA is.

137. Pig Legs Robinson says:

A guy like McKenry is just what first place team needs. Michael McKenry is becoming an awesome secret weapon.
    He, along with McDonald, Alvarez, Cutch, the solid defense…a great team effort today!

138. twentytwo22 says:

That was some good defense in the 9th.

A 5-2 homestand is in the bank. Go out and make it 6-1 and you’re +11 at the break. Finish the first half in style.

139. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I know Barajas is “recovering” from the knee bruise, but it seems to me that he’s taking a back seat to the Fort.

He should be, Mike’s been hitting the snot out of the ball lately. He deserves to get more playing time.

Good combo, minus that throw in the 9th on the speedy Pagan.

DK: Barajas isn’t “recovering.” He’s recovering.

The injury wasn’t fake.

140. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Oops, can’t forget Neil Walker either.

141. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Eerie feeling, someone asked earlier in the week what the Pirates record will be at the break, I picked 9 over. I hope I’m wrong and they will be 11.

142. JRay3 says:

@ Bob – #129 – classic…too funny!

143. JRay3 says:

@ Ryan – is this Mike the same one you were questioning being on the roster couple weeks back? Just having fun with you…but your point is well taken as I too feel he deserves a little more playing time while his bat is hot.

144. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I give J-Mac credit for not losing his temper and plunking Pagan with the next pitch after he called time-out (and was amazingly given it!) twice while he was in the midst of his wind-up.
    The umpire really blew that.

Bob Walk was right on the money with his comments about that. It’s a good thing it wasn’t Walkie on the mound or Pagan would be icing down a big lump somewhere on his body after the game.

145. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Jray

You are exactly right!! He wasn’t holding his own, but deserves his playing time right now.

146. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

The home plate umpire blew a lot of calls. Very inconsistent.

Did we just have a Dejan sighting? On a Weekend?

Is that even ALLOWED?

Has Blawnox frozen over?

Are The Pirates Going To The Playoffs??

I know. Really. I know…

‘Forget it Drew, it’s Chinatown.’

148. JRay3 says:

On June 26th Neil Walker was hitting .256 he has since raised his average 24 points to .280 with a 20-45 .444 run he is currently on!

149. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Hot streaks are great…..But who saw the Fort going on one?

I’ll take it!!

Remember the old baseball saying, hitting is contagious? Buccos are proof

150. Pig Legs Robinson says:

The way McKenry has been slugging, I wouldn’t mind him getting the bulk of the catching time for while. Maybe even try him at first base while Barajas is catching. I still like Rod, his power is also a secret weapon. This is our best catching platoon since Slaught & Spanky, and they’re even better power-wise than Ott & Nicosia were in ’79. And as far as handling the pitching, they may be the best yet.

151. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

You do realize the fort is probably the shortest guy on the team??

Do you put him there over McGehee and Jones…..I don’t think so.

This platoon, offensively, is better than Spanky and Slaught, they had ZERO power between the 2. Probably better defensively though.

Pedro Ciriaco wearing #77, an obvious tribute to Paul Coffey.

153. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I didn’t know he was that short. I don’t have cable, they’re all 10 feet tall in my mind.
    Is he actually shorter than J-Hay?

154. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I thought CH’s worst managing decision today was using Gorkys to pinch hit for JMac.

He should’ve let JMac hit, then use Gorkys to pinch run!!

I am kidding, kinda……..sorta

155. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Eh, maybe not quit that short, but seems to be about the same…….I’ll look it up.

156. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

JHay-5’8
    Fort-5’10
    Cutch 5’10

All rest are over 6

157. bob hasis says:

I also like our catching combo, but Barajas has a much stronger arm. In either case we still don’t throw out many runners stealing

158. TDB1977 says:

J-Mac is trending on Twitter.

159. Pig Legs Robinson says:

At least nobody lists at 5′ 10 and a 1/2. That’s always funny to me, like the half really matters. It sounds like how an 8 year old kid would talk.
    Really, I would have figured Cutch for 6 feet tall. That surprised me. I guess I shouldn’t worry than about new super-prospect Alen Hanson’s height. Heck, Joe Morgan was little and he was a great hitter and with excellent power, too.

160. twentytwo22 says:

Pedro Ciriaco on Fox right now.

161. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Bob

Exactly. I think a lot of our pitchers don’t give them much of a chance, either.

162. Mike Shigley says:

Luis Heredia’s line tonight — 5 innings, 5 hits, 1 earned run, 3 strikeouts, and 0 walks. This is another no decision, because the game is tied at 2 after 8 (because of another unearned run while Heredia was pitching).

163. Pig Legs Robinson says:

The Hit Collector recalled, Eric Fryer sent down.
    Interesting…Still no Marte.
    I’m hoping before the break ends it’s Gorkys sent down and Starling brought up.
    I got no problem with Hague coming up though.

Ryan. There is no kidding on the blog.

Sorta.

This team eventually may or may not win the division, but I’m starting to believe it is, well, Meals proof.

166. bob hasis says:

Ryan, correct about the pitchers. Some of them take too big of a wind-up.

They need to per-fect the slide step

167. The Gunner says:

We have the right guy going for us on the mound tomorrow – pitch another gem, AJ and let’s take another series!!

168. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, the Pirates will hit the all-star break in first place. Still, I”ll take a nice win tomorrow with some of that longball they been flashing the past two months.
    A.J. deserves to coast to a victory rather than having to battle.

So do we. After 19 years, so do we.

(Was that too bitter? I hate it when I’m bitter)

171. TDB1977 says:

And no one has made mention that McCutchen has been added to the HR Derby on Monday night.

172. RobertoForever says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Not McCutchen in the HR derby. I don’t care if its a fake curse or what, we don’t need Cutch out there. I just have nightmares of Jason Bay hitting no HR’s in the derby.

Gawd no!

173. Keith says:

A reason to watch baseball on TV Monday night is always a good thing. Go, Cutch!

174. JHadar says:

OK, if McKenry keeps hitting and Barajas recovers and picks up where he left off, maybe it’s the best catching duo since Manny Sanguillen and Milt May (or Sanguillen and anyone else).

And it will be a long long time before we have a better catcher than Sanguillen.

(Maybe if Kendall had stayed healthy … but there’s so much other baggage there that the speculation isn’t even fun.)

I always felt that Manny was under-appreciated nationally in the same way Clemente was and because he was playing at the same time as Bench.

I liked Spanky — Mrs H called him “chubby Mike” — but give McKenry a little more experience and Tony Sanchez is actually going to have to outplay him by a fair bit to take his position away.

Come to think of it, most of the positions are getting that way (most, not all). It’s going to be hard to make the pitching staff, too.

I like the notion — you come up from AAA, you have to take a big leaguer’s position away from him. That’s the way it should be, and it’s gratifying to see us getting there.

OK this is obvious, but the win today guaranteed us at least a piece of first place going into the all star break. A win tomorrow or if the Cincinnatis lose tonight or tomorrow, it’s sole possession. The best possible outcome is a three game lead.

Now wouldn’t that be something.

175. cosmo says:

Was at the game today, great win. I purchased the tickets on opening day because my kids wanted to see Doughtry after the game. Funny but as the season moved along they were more interested in seeing “THE GAME ITSELF” Winning seems to change everyones mind set. M y son even mentioned the “P Word” and wants to
    get tickets.

Cosmo! Good job. This win’s on you.

177. RobertoForever says:

@JHadar,

Interesting comment on Triple-A guys having to take a job away. IIRC, there were many folks who thought in late May that there was only major-league worthy player on this roster, lol. Not saying you, because I dont keep track. Jyst seem to remember hearing that alot. Oh how 50 games can turn the world upside down.

178. RobertoForever says:

Can anyone explain why the mothership had Pedro’s HR at 432 ft, but the local radio said last night and today that Pedro hit it 457?

179. Jhadar says:

RF

No doubt about it, Pedro is learning (well) on the job.

Quite a few others had horrible starts.

Presley and Tabata needed time in minors and our bench needs beefing up and Barnes at .199

Still 10 games over and now six or seven positions look solid.

A definite change.

BTW I’ve only been here a few weeks.

180. RobertoForever says:

@JHadar

Seriously, only a few weeks. As I said, I don’t really keep track, but your contributions in those few weeks have created a perception in my mind that you are a solid contributor to the blog. Good stuff.

181. RobertoForever says:

Found the article on MLB.com for Friday night that also said Pedro’s HR was 457 feet.

Funny, the mothership has it at 434 (I had a typo and said 432). Wonder how their QBR rating would figure it?

182. Vette60 says:

Was at the game today too. Made it through the heat, the rain, the blazing sun post rain…had a great time. My 6 year old son had a blast – big Zoltan sign when the Fort hit his homerun…

Even got to say hello to Manny Sanguillen when getting BBQ, so it was quite a day…

Nice job by the Bucs today and will be listening tomorrow for as long as I can on the way back to RIchmond…

Have a good night.
    Randy

183. Dave says:

Dejan, Love the blog and have a few questions for you

1. Hypothetically. If the Pirates would make the playoffs or break .500 this year, do you believe that the team would be able to build off of it for the future thanks to incoming help from the farm along with Pirates management following through on their promise of paying some vets to help keep te team in contention for a few years? Or do you believe that this team would be just a one season winner like the 2003 Royals?

2. If the Pirates would finish over .500 would that make Huntington one of the bright young minds today in MLB even though he’s been criticized quite a bit the last couple of years for the Pirates lack of execution on some fronts?

3. Final question is whether or not you’ve heard anything on the Appel front? If the Pirates were to fail signing him would MLB give them extra cash in next season’s draft to compensate for the extra 1st round draft choice?

184. Boise Bucco says:

San Diego’s down 6-5, bottom 9th, Chapman in for the save…

Headley and Quintin will bat in this inning though.

Go Pads!

185. Boise Bucco says:

Chapman struck out the side in order…Reds win, 6-5.

Looks like Headley and Quintin wouldn’t make good Bucs afterall…they can’t even hit an Aroldis Chapman fastball!

186. twentytwo22 says:

The ghost of Tim Lincecum should not beat them. 17 starts this year only 4 were good. 8 of his 9 road starts have been bad. Forget the name on the back, execute the gameplan and they should put a stamp on the first half.

187. twentytwo22 says:

The Giants are 4-13 when Lincecum starts. I hope tomorrow is hot and humid, the Pirates jump on them early, the ‘here we go again’ feeling hits them, they start thinking about getting home after a road trip, and where they’re spending the All-Star break. The Pirates’ confidence in their execution could crush their spirit early and result in a blowout win.

The Pirates are 47-0 when they win. I hope today they win.

Although I find Roberto’s apparent incessant need to try to put down other nameless posters (lol) highly annoying, I agree about Cutch and the homerun derby. It just messes with your swing, especially for guys like Cutch who hit homers by not “trying” to hit homers. I do wonder, after the story about Clint pitching to 4 guys in the 1999 HR Derby, if he will want Clint to go with him? I suspect with Cutch, he’ll be OK after the Derby, but I still don’t like it.