TribLIVE
Blogs | Sports | News
Dejan Kovacevic's Blog

Pittsburgh sports talk with the Trib columnist

« Font size »
Decrease | Reset |Increase

Death penalty? No, much worse

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Thoughts on the truly exceptional punishment the NCAA has just levied against Penn State football …

>> Maybe the saddest outcome is that there will be too many at Penn State — and even a few is too many — who won’t fully grasp how devastating these penalties will be. All they’ll hear is that they’ll PLAY FOOTBALL Sept. 1.

>> This program is crushed for the rest of the decade. No elite recruit will play there.

>> Everyone breathing easier right now for State College residents and businesses is missing out on the longer-term issue that Beaver Stadium might not always be packed at some point down the road.

>> Joe Paterno is no longer the winningest coach. He’s not even in the top 10 anymore, thanks to the remarkable — and reasoned — vacating of all 111 victories from 1998-2011.

>> The death penalty was very much on table, even for multiple years. And Mark Emmert made eminently clear that the NCAA was very much within its authority, bylaws and everything else to rule as it did. I remain surprised that so many saw it any other way. Ethics means ethics. Nothing complicated about that.

>> Don’t compare this penalty to that of USC just because the forfeiture of bowls and scholarships is a year apart. This isn’t close.

>> It’s good and fair of the NCAA to allow athletes to transfer out immediately. But I don’t see that happening between now and the start of the coming season. Football bonds are tighter than that. The real effect of any exodus will come between the coming season and 2013.

>> If you’re wondering today how that will affect Pitt or any other college, that’s no better than the PLAY FOOTBALL mentality anywhere else. There’s no glee to be had here.

>> What of Bill O’Brien?

Did you know his pay now gets cut? Or that he doesn’t have an out clause?

At least for now, he’s saying all the right things. But this is a guy with a ton of pedigree at a higher level of football who couldn’t be begrudged in the slightest if he were to look out for himself. Especially if he’d been given any manner of assurance that nothing like this could happen.

>> There will be no appeal from Penn State, per a signed consent agreement. Of course there isn’t. Imagine anyone at the university, even if justified, protesting anything right now.

Just read Rodney Erickson’s statement.

>> I’m not moved much by the $60 million fine. As Emmert pointed out in the news conference, this is the rough equivalent of the $53 million profit Penn State made off football last year. It was the NCAA’s way of saying they’ll let the football go on, but all the money has to go with the kids.

I have to believe Penn State was going to make such a gesture, anyway. Would have been better to let the school do that unilaterally.

>> The Big 10, too, is fining Penn State by docking its annual $13 million take from the conference’s bowl revenues. That’s $73 million total, all toward children’s charities.

>> Can we please dispense with the trite labeling of anyone who sees Penn State as worthy of punishment as “sanctimonious” or being “on a high horse?”

It takes no more than a very, very low horse to have a strong opinion on this.

>> Can Jay Paterno and Franco Harris do themselves a favor and shut up just for today?

>> The NCAA finally showed guts. Who knew?

139 Comments

  1. Penn State’s punishment should be to join the Big East.

  2. Yeah I’m with you, someone in the crowd asked the NCAA pres about yet another dumb statement by the Paterno family, and I kept hoping he would say “The paterno family needs to shut up”. I can believe how slimey Jay Paterno looks every time he utters a word

  3. From “Sports by Brooks” twitter:

    ” Innocent” current PSU coach Bill O’Brien had been telling recruits scandal was legal matter only & NCAA had no jurisdiction ”

    No wonder he got a top 10 recruiting class – these kids believed him….What a moron

  4. You know, I don’t really feel bad if I thought, “hey, I hope Pitt can get some better local recruits now.” I go to Pitt and I’d like to see them get good players. Penn State being crippled like this makes that more likely. I don’t think I’m a bad person for thinking that.

    I’m not giddy over anything because I can’t be given the circumstances, but if I’m going to find a silver lining, that would be it.

  5. DK: I thought a TV ban would have also been appropriate. Any insight on why that wasn’t imposed? Also, I’ve differing reports on loss of scholarships. Can you clarify?

  6. Still think they got off too easy. A year or three off, and then all of the above would have been more suitable. I still don’t think the Nit Nation will get it; or will ever get it, now.

    The vacated wins at least completes the fall of Paterno.

  7. Penn State, Ron Cook and Bob Smizik hit hardest.

  8. Agree that we’re gonna be terrible soon. I expect Hackenberg and others to leave.

    Joining the Big East wouldn’t be that bad. Staying in the Big 10, even Indiana is gonna spank our butts.

    In fact, our days as a FB power broker may be long gone forever.

    Thank you Jerry.

  9. I still say that Pitt needs to say “the heck with you” for their upcoming series to resume in 2016. That would be a final slap in the face to Paterno and his “dislike” for Pitt!

  10. Florida Pirate

    Im a PSU grad and Paterno supporter (at least until the Freeh report). Hearing JayPa and Franco say the truth will come out is like hearing OJ say he’s gonna find the real killers.

    Perhaps they could enlighten us on what they feel the ‘truth’ is?

    Doubtful

    .

  11. @ DK – Your last line is what will ring loudest for me. “The NCAA finally showed guts. Who knew?”

    Aside from the penalties which can be debated ad nauseum the message today is one of making a statement that incidents like this can not and will not be tolerated. An organization did what it felt it could to levy that. The money is pocket change for a school like PSU, the bowl bans and scholarships will make it difficult for them to compete at the highest level for the the next decade and maybe takes some of the importance that has been shown of winning at all costs away.

    However, today is about the swift action taken to remind everybody truly what this should be about which is the fundamental failures at too many levels that allowed one of the worst abuses in my lifetime to persist. It hopefully is the message of how our priorities as humans need to be fully examined and maybe just a small message that helps avoid this from ever happening again or to be better prepared on how to stop from ever happening again.

    In the end there are no winners in any of this, I only hope the true result is better people become of this.

  12. Remember when Joe Pa said that he wouldn’t retire and leave NCAA football with the “Barry Switzers and Jackie Sherrills” of the world?! How ironic is that?

    His pompus amd “holier than thou” attiitude set the stage for Sandusky’s crimes.

  13. Roberto–if your big issue is trying to distinguish the actions between 1998 and 2001, have at it. Like I said on the last thread, I don’t care to engage you in that debate.

    DK, I think if YOU think that Penn Staters don’t understand the devastating effect of these sanctions, you are too tied into your PLAY FOOTBALL mantra. (I know, you said “some,” which is only maybe 3, but still . . .)

    Deflector Arriba (not a PS alum)

  14. @ MSgt Bill…Paterno was always a hypocrite…You make a great point

  15. Well…looks like Penn State will have to try to be an ACADEMIC university again.

    Well stated about the “PLAY FOOTBALL” mentality, Dejan. When you read between the lines of many complaints about the sanctions, it’s very clear that the underlying concern is STILL “do we still get to watch football? What will happen to the football? Please please PLEASE don’t take away our football!”. People need to understand that this is bigger than football. The NCAA’s sanctions are going to deflate the football program down to a scale that it is no longer the primary focus of the entire university, and rightly so.

  16. I still think the death penalty would have been better as a wake-up call where college football is STILL ABOVE THE LAW in many universities. Do you think that Gary Schultz is the only college vice president over the campus police that covers up heinous crimes???

  17. If you haven’t posted where you currently reside, please do so, we are keeping a log of all the locations where Dejan’s Lunatics reside. I don’t have the list handy, its at home, as of the weekend, 212 locations in the world represented. And I know, there are more of us lunatics out there……

  18. If you truly think that people are being called sanctimonious simply because they feel Penn State is worthy of punishment, you need to take a step back.

    There is a distinct difference between someone like Arriba and someone like Dan1234577. If you can’t see that, its pretty clear which side of the line you fall.

    Speaking of trite, MAKE A TRADEZ!!!.

    Pot, meet kettle.

  19. “Can Jay Paterno and Franco Harris do themselves a favor and shut up just for today?”

    Thank you, DK. Thank you, thank you thank you.

  20. Re: #17: Bizrow – Pittsburgh (Uptown Area)

  21. @ Bizrow….Mon Valley (Wash County)

  22. In the “trying to be funny where there should be no humor” category, PSU fans can take heart. At least the basketball program wasn’t penalized. Oh, wait…………

    Thank God, this is a blog and guns don’t help or a person could get shot for cracks like that.

  23. @ Bizrow…Hammonton, NJ

  24. Thanks, NMR.

  25. @ Bizrow Solana Beach, CA (north San Diego County)

  26. @Arriba,

    How laughable. “I don’t care to engage you in that debate.” Yet you post on a thread where I haven’t even read or posted.

    Your sanctimonious attitude sways no one. People that agreed with your perspective still agree with you.

    My question is still valid, and has been asked by Dan Wetzel from Yahoo Sports.

    But in the cases of “rushing to justice” and “putting bad publicity behind them”, Boards and Presidents have done far worse.

  27. Roberto–good to know you know what other people think. Not that it is a surprise that you delude yourself that you do.

    But, instead of throwing stones, both before and after knowing the sanctions, what do you think of them? Or is your only issue 1998-2001?

  28. To me the most effective punishment was the vacating of 111 of Paterno’s wins. From now on, if any coach is tempted to cheat or cover something up, he will be deterred by the threat to his legacy.

  29. The only person who should have gotten the death penalty is Jerry Sandusky! Paterno is not the despicable human being he is being made out to be. He made one LARGE mistake and unfortunately it wipes out the the millions of good things he did in his life. I am a Penn Stater and agree with most of the penalties but lets stop kicking more dirt onto Joe’s grave please!

  30. Thanks, TJA, SS, Sherry and Joey, I’ll post a list tonight on the game thread.

    C’Mon lunatics, I know there are more of us out there?
    @MSgt Bill – where are you residing? I take it you are in the service?

    Double bonus points for the hero’s that protect us ;-)

  31. A writer who accuses a blogger of stealing his uber original “First Pitch” title and doesn’t apologize upon learning the blog readers, not writer, chose said title probably should not be talking about anyone’s high horse.

    I love your writing, Dejan, but man, you’re really showing some kind of personality lately.

  32. Arriba….I think you might have found this blog’s version of you know who???
    :)

    =========
    “I am a Penn Stater and agree with most of the penalties but lets stop kicking more dirt onto Joe’s grave please!”

    I wish JoePa WAS alive…I’d love to hear what he’d have to say.

    Foo

    .

  33. If PSU ended up in the Big East, they would lose so many games that they would qualify to play in the ACC. Compare head-to-head records including the Panthers and Cuse, the new Big East is far superior.

  34. I wish Joe was alive too! At least he’d have a chance to say something, explain why he didnt just bury Sandusky in the first place! I can’t understand how outing Sandusky originally wouldn’t have been the best course of action. Sure it would have stung a bit, but Joe and all involved would have come out as “doing what was needed” at some point and not as stupid and arrogant as they look now

  35. @Arriba

    Glad that you feel you are the judge of throwing stones.

    But I thought you didn’t want to debate?? Or was that another sanctimonious tactic?

    How about answering the original question, rather than more deflection.

  36. I can’t believe that no one mentioned the real reason Sandusky was allowed to remain a part of the program DK. When the Penn St program started sliding, Paterno started recruiting hoodlums(all the arrests etc.) and who knows what else. I’m sure that Sandusky blackmailed Paterno, and threatened to bring the program down. So good old Joe sold those kids and the program out for his own ego. I also still think they should have got the death penalty. Franco and Jay P need to be institutionalized for their statements!

  37. The one part of the NCAA’s punishment that didn’t make sense to me was the vacating of wins. Every other time that I can think of the NCAA vacating wins, it had to do with teams using ineligible student-athletes, which wasn’t the case here. Everything else makes sense, but not this.

  38. Dejan,

    First I live about 40 minutes from Happy Valley – the general reaction around here is a lot of anger at the NCAA for taking these steps – very much the ‘just play football’ attitude you have so often mentioned. I find it fascinating how different the reaction is here vs. the reaction from Pittsburgh – I think folks here are too close to the situation, too tied in with PSU and JoePa and all that.

    My thoughts…well #1 as I predicted there was no death penalty, and I take issue with the idea that these penalties will be ‘worse’ than the death penalty. SMU was shut down and took almost 20 years to recover, and some would argue they never did fully recover. PSU gets to keep their 7-8 home games and all the revenue that will generate – and with the local anti-NCAA rallying cries and the ‘backlash to the backlash’, I expect near-capacity crowds all season this year and in 2013. There’s no question the loss of bowl revenue (and loss of shared revenue from the Big Ten) hurts, but other pre-eminent schools have survived such penalties and risen to glory fairly quickly. The NCAA wanted to make a statement about Paterno’s legacy and a strong statement about the ‘culture’ at PSU, and I think they batted .500.

    I’ve withheld stating my own thoughts until now…I think they should have given the team the death penalty. What they did will NOT change the culture around here, people will still pay to watch the games, they will rally around ‘Old State’ and within 5 years the culture will almost certainly be comparable to what it was (minus an 85-year-old legend of course, but USC and Alabama proved that legends aren’t pre-requisites for corruption and scandal).

    If O’Brien manages to thrown a 10-2 season together in 2013 or 2014 – and given the traditionally weak non-conference schedule and his coaching acumen, plus the us-against-the-world mentality, I think that’s quite likely – by 2017 I believe the only visible difference will be the lack of a statue. the stadium will be full, football will still be the centerpiece of the university, and corruption will creep back in. The death penalty would have broken the cycle for a much longer period.

    I understand the collateral damage associated with that, both to the players/coaches and the local economy – I just question what all this will have accomplished in the end.

    I promise, Dejan, to check in with you in 2017 and see who was more correct.

  39. NCAA should not be involved at all. PSU should contest these sanctions. In, the Supreme Court!

  40. PSU alum here. I was a big fan of Paterno’s, but I am very disillusioned now. There is a great lesson wrapped up in this – be careful who you admire or idolize, as you never really know what the person is like or what they’ve done. Nothing he possibly could have done to advance academics or sports (or let’s face it – revenue) for the university can wipe out the absolutely devastating effects of his inaction (or actions). The NCAA punishment is mild, in my opinion. I cannot believe that anyone can be concerned simply about football at a time like this. A much more severe university-level punishment would be if the Big Ten Conference moved to sever its ties to Penn State. This would be a huge academic blow that would have long-lasting and meaningful impact on the school.

  41. at Teamian#19
    You beat me to it.
    Thanks to you and DK.
    Jay Paterno continues to make an absolute fool of himself.
    A few commments and questions.
    I have had on the air conversations with various sports talk shows nationwide.
    I have mentioned the concept of the innocent bystander. By that I meant the current players, current business owners in State College, etc.
    Many of the talk show hosts basiclly said too bad, this is necessary collatiral damage.
    The NCAA said this morning they were trying to avoid this type of damage.
    As far as not damagin the non revenue sports, I have a question.
    Are atheletes playing non revenue sports such as golf, track, softball, etc. on scholarship?
    If yes, is it the football revenues that are covering the scholarship costs of the non revenue sports?
    If yes, how can the these sports continue at their current status if the football revenue is being severely impacted as of today?

  42. Patrick…Capt Hindsight always sees best, unfortunately.

    Esp for lynch mobs and witch hunts.

    Foo

    .

  43. @ Patrick. Sorry, but I disagree. Jo Pa was despicable.

  44. @ Michael. PSU isn’t going to even going to contest the NCAA, let alone the Supreme Court.

  45. First the necessary disclaimer…I am a Pitt graduate and long-time JoePa hater. However, I am not particularly gleeful with the circumstances. NCAA was right to hit hard in the pocketbook, but I think it would have been better to have PSU forfeit all their TV money and Bowl revenue to the appropriate social service organizations instead of the bowl ban and scholarship reductions (these hurt individuals who are blameless in all this). I was really surprised at the vacating of victories, since this had absolutely nothing to do with on-field results (like having ineligible or paid players); this is an absolute smackdown to the Paterno legacy (the old story about idols having feet of clay seems proven out once again). Objectively, I have to say that I wonder if JoePa isn’t being somewhat scapegoated here; in part because he isn’t around to defend himself and as revenge for telling the Trustees “NO” when asked to resign last decade.

  46. One additional follow-up comment.
    I have the impression that the NCAA was sayingthat football had become too large, and a separate entity from normal campus life.
    Couldn’t the same be said of football at any of the top 25 programs in the country?
    Doesn’t seem unique to PSU.

  47. @radio

    re: #46

    Right on. Which is why I don’t understand at all how anyone could see this as the NCAA finally showing guts? For what? Sanctioning a program that’s already been judged and executed? I wish my job was that hard.

  48. “Paterno is not the despicable human being he is being made out to be. He made one LARGE mistake and unfortunately it wipes out the the millions of good things he did in his life. I am a Penn Stater and agree with most of the penalties but lets stop kicking more dirt onto Joe’s grave please!”

    Beg to differ…. Yes, he IS a despicable human being, and has been for a very long time; and yes it DOES wipe out anything ‘good’ he did.

    Pass the shovel.

  49. Foo, just wanted to say, you have my condolences for this entire fiasco. At least you do see things clearly, which is more than many do.

    That said, I still sympathize with the innocent bystanders hit with the fallout in this mess. And the children. Don’t forget the children.

    I’m just tongue-tied with all this going down.

  50. I was curious as to where the fine $$$ was going to. Thanks for clearing that up.

    This is just another sad day in PSU history. Not just because of the sanctions, but because this thing actually took place.

    The main person to blame of course is JS, but the question is, why did all these people cover up for him?

    My 13 year old was cleaning out his closet this weekend, found a PSU hat that I had given him a long time ago, put it on and I almost threw up. That hat is now in the garbage. Along with anything else to do with PSU.

    Besides, he never would’ve worn it out of the house, then bill was bent…….Gawd how I hate today’s fashion trends!!

  51. @Jandy

    Don’t feel like you have to include the obligatory “for the children” line. We know you.

    It’s sad that you can’t share your opinion without feeling like you have to qualify it with statements as obvious as that.

  52. In my opinion, people that think fans showing up to Beaver Stadium “don’t get it” are completely missing the point of failure here.

    It is not a crime to like football. It is not a crime to support the team associated with your home town or college.

    Anyone who thinks fans or students had the control to make changes to the administration is forgetting what it was like on campus when they were in school. The men who had the power at PSU earned it through years of building near flawless reputations. PSU’s mistake was not having the proper checks and balances in place. That is what is needed, and is being implemented, to ensure a tragedy such as this never happens again.

    I find it completely short sighted to see a region such as western Pennsylvania, where people wear football jerseys to church, condemn anyone else for being a fan.

    Signed,
    PSU Alum in favor of death penalty
    (Obligatory qualifying statement, just for you Jandy)

  53. OK, we have the athletic sanctions. What about the academic sanctions? What about a place that hires as it president a man who wrote, “behavior becomes deviant only when others define it as deviant”? The guy who allowed C*ntFest. The guy who was OK with the campus Sex Fair. This wasn’t a football-program only problem, and I recognize that these penalties hurt the entire school. But by God, someone needs to slap down the academic side of the university for allowing a guy like this to run the place.

  54. Big fan of BO’B sticking around through this. No matter what happens the next 5 years, I’m pretty sure he’s getting a Gatorade bath after every win they earn. Infinite AJ Burnett fistpumps to him.

    Also, to all the former players that are going to be showing up with comments in the next few days/weeks–everybody needs to just keep in mind that they were all just as in the dark about this as we were. They have every right to be upset about vacating the wins that they busted their asses off to earn. I have no problems turning the other ear if, for instance, a former RB (or LB named Arrington, which I’m expecting) wants to say “THAT’S BS” on Twitter. No problems whatsoever. They worked harder for those wins than JoePa, Spanier, Curley and Shultz did.

  55. ^Wow. Just wow.

  56. Sorry, Boise. That was meant for the post above.

  57. NMR, thanks, man. Glad to see a friendly face in here!

  58. @JuniataKid

    You mean like Mark Emmert, who appointed Graham Spanier as the Chair of a committee on Athlete Welfare?

    Does someone need to slap down Mark Emmert for allowing Spanier to prosper?

    http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2011/October/DI+Board+of+Directors+adopt+changes+to+academic+and+student-athlete+welfare

    Graham Spanier is identified as the Chair in the last few paragraphs.

  59. Man…zero wows for me… :(

  60. This just keeps getting worse and worse…

  61. @Roberto

    Unbelievable. This is the definition of “academentia.”

  62. Football is a religion and Paterno is its god. That brand of thinking is what got Penn State into this mess. The Lions have now been put on bread and water. It will be interesting to see if there are any ripples in the NCAA pond. I’m betting it will be business as usual at Alabama, Ohio State, Texas and any number of other places. No lessons learned. Only punishments avoided.

  63. @JuniataKid

    The NCAA has the right to sanction the Athletic Department. It absolutely has no right to sanction the faculty and administration. It couldn’t fire Graham Spanier, Joe Paterno, oranyone else. I’m not sure what you’re expecting.

    Are you accusing Roberto of academentia, or PSU as a whole? Seems more like a trollish comment made to draw an irate response.

  64. @#15 Trevor:

    You need to look at at your facts in terms of federal research and Penn State’s #1 ranking with college recruiters, before you start claiming it to be just a football school. WE ARE much more than football.

  65. The notion that this “culture” is unique to state college or psu fans is laughable, especially if if comes from anyone in Pittsburgh who would not know what to do with themselves on Sunday afternoons if the NFL went on strike. This “culture” of football before all else exists at every large school in a small town that depends on football to fund the university and the local economy. In fact the NCAA drives it, as evidenced by the billion dollar contracts if signs with networks and bowl sponsors. The NCAA would have been better served letting the courts decide the punishments instead of looking like hypocrites talking about how football should be above everything else. They are the ones who drive universities to put it above all else!

  66. ^absolutely correct, B-97.

  67. Does anyone have information on the SPECIFIC use and direction of the money PSU will be fined?

    I don’t want to see a dime of it run through the NCAA. Every check should have a direct address to the benefiting destination.

    Even if it may be small change in relation to powerhouse Division 1 football, it is an enormous amount to a charity or non-profit. I really hope the NCAA thought more about the use than the number. A lot of good can be done with this.

  68. @gregenstein

    I actually interpreted JuniataKid’s response of “Unbelievable, this is the definition of academentia” as saying he wasn’t aware that Mark Emmert had worked so closely with Graham Spanier.

    I did not take his comment as aimed at PSU or me, but rather Emmert and the NCAA. I could be wrong.

  69. NMR

    My understanding of the money is that the $60 million will go into a “foundation” established that will dole out the money to charities. Somehow, I am sure the NCAA will be the ones running it.

    Your question raises an interesting thought on the Big 10 sanctions. The Big 10 has said that Penn State will forfeit its BCS money over the next few years (amounting to a total of about $13 million over 4 years). Wonder if that money just gets divided up among the other Big 10 schools, or is that going to charity?

  70. NMR, your comment at #53 was one of your most astute ever!

    July 23, 2012——the day we get retribution for inexcusable psychological and social injuries to the innocents . . . . by punishing more innocents.

    Since all those responsible have already been fired, convicted, or are awaiting trial, let us find other innocents to fall prey to our anger and vengeance.

    . . . as if even one victim will feel even one iota better now that the present football student-athletes and new coach O’Brien have been shown latent wrath.

  71. Pat Forde on Yahoo called it an “endowment” to help victims of child sexual abuse.

  72. Endowment my derriere!

  73. @Roberto

    Good question about the Big 10 money, it needs to go to charity as well. This money should not be divided among the other schools…..UNLESS the Big 10 requires those schools to donate them to charity, on behalf of the school.

  74. Just got a tweet, Rick Nash is supposedly going to the Rangers

    Dempster to Atlanta

  75. I’m watching the replay of yesterday’s game. At the moment we are in the bottom of the eighth, and Presley was just struck by a left hander named Mike Dunn. Next batter is Walker who will bat right-handed – his weaker side – and he too K’s.

    I’m just wondering if Hurdle could contemplate putting Cutch in the 2 hole and moving Walker to the 3 hole. My ONLY reason for this idea is so that the other manager would be less likely to use a lefty on Presley, knowing Cutch is next, who has been killing lefties, rather than Walker because of what I state above.

    I think Cutch and Walker are interchangable enough in certain strategic circumstances, without weakening our punch, which could affect the other manager’s options a bit

  76. I see that some seem to think the NCAA and the Big Ten are the bad guys here. Really? Emmert is damaged goods because he appointed Spanier, a well respected college president until Nov of 2011, to some committee, with NO evidence he knew the coverup was going on? Where’s Joe McCarthy? Smiling in his grave, I expect.

    Yeah, Foo, you are as perceptive as always about bloggers.

  77. @Roberto,

    You got it right, sir. Nothing directed at you. At PSU for hiring such a “mind’ and other collegiate institutions for enlisting his services.

    @gregenstein,

    Didn’t imply that the NCAA could do anything with academics at all. However, as I recall, the Big 10 is an academic “conference” as well as an athletic conference. Here’s hoping they can do something about PSU on the academic side, which deserves to be penalized just as much as the athletic side. After all, the president was key in keeping this quiet. And from his writings, you have to wonder if he even considered it terribly wrong. He couldn’t call the activities at Sex Fair “wrong” under questioning, because as he said, “I don’t know what you mean by ‘wrong.’”

  78. Re – “I don’t know what you mean by ‘wrong.’”

    Reminds me of some comment a President of the USA made several years ago about Monica ;-)

  79. I hope the Trib is forced to fire its Penn State writer.

  80. Thanks, Groat.

    Note the absurdity of the “PLAY FOOTBALL” thing. If Groat had ties to PSU, his opinion would be null and void according to this blog, clouded by a presumed football-first mentality.

    Yep, that sure is the Groat I know…

  81. let’s see how dempster sets the market. word is Randall Delgado is going the other way. Has been rated a top 50 prospect.

    curious to see if anything else is going the cubs’ way

  82. First, the NCAA overstepped its’ authority. Emotions are high right now and the NCAA saw an opportunity to make a power grab. The NCAA has no authority over criminal matters that do not involve scholar-athletes and/or on-field issues.

    Sandusky was no longer an employee of the university. No football players, coaches or staff were directly or indirectly involved. Sandusky’s crimes had no bearing on the football program.

    If you are going to take away the profits that the football team brings in, and punish players who had nothing to do with this sad situation, then the pain should be shared equally. Those sports supported by football-namely ALL female sports and all male sports excepting basketball, should see a similar scholarship loss, as they cannot support themselves.

    People hated JoePa because he stood for something that is out of vogue in today’s Kardashian/reality show world. He stood for integrity, honor, academics, discipline and manhood. He was a conservative man in a liberal world.

    The Freeh report is not Constitutional law. It is not a court finding. It is the opinion of one man.

    All of you hypocrites with skeletons in your own closets could not wait to dance over the grave of a good man like Joe Pa. The irony is that none of these cowards would EVER have dared to cross JoePa if he were here to defend himself.

    Disgusting.

  83. Oh yeah, let’s force PSU to return its focus to academics…by penalizing the academic department at least set much as football?

    Brilliant.

    I think the landscaping crew should be fired as well. They directly profited off of the lawn outside the library that was financed by Paterno.

    Think about the kids!

  84. Re – curious to see if anything else is going the cubs’ way

    I read money is going to the Braves

  85. I don’t understand the reasoning behind vacating all victories since 1998. In other instances where infractions involved recruiting and perceived advantages were gained I can understand it, but inthiscase it doesn’t make sense to me. Is the NCAA trying to say,Okay the coach should have been fired back then and since you didn’t do it, we will go back it time now and erase it all.

  86. Nash to the Rangers, ugh!

  87. @ Bizrow

    TSN reporting Nash to Rangers done deal. columbus gets Anisimov, Dubinsky another player and a 1st round pick.

  88. I don’t know the exact reasoning, but the way I interpreted the logic was, this was kept under wraps by the big 4 from at least 1998, and the reason was to protect the football programs integrity, and many other victims suffered because of this active concealment, so we should get rid of those benefits they thought they got by protecting the program at the expense of the innocents.

  89. @NMR

    Totally off subject, but your boy is now a Brave…..

  90. cosmo, I’m with you, not seeing the “reasoned’ decision to vacate games. Sandusky was not on the staff and the coverup did nothing to change the competitive balance on the field. If anything, had Joe exposed this then, he would have been sainted for taking on the criticism while the program was under fire.

    The whole thing is largely an illegal action by the NCAA (no governance over non-competition issues), but PSU can’t fight back even when they should. This is a great can of worms opened today, no investigation, no hearings, just a unilateral ruling from above.

    Oh yeah PLAY FOOTBALL Derp.

  91. John A—Penn State agreed to the sanctions. There were probably more investigations (Grand Jury, Sandusky trial and the multimillion dollar Former FBI Director investigation commissioned by Penn State, which findings were accepted by Penn State) than in any other NCAA investigation in history. But the “corrupt” NCAA should have done their own independent multi-year investigation? Sorry, that argument just doesn’t hold water.

  92. Whoops, forgot to sign that . . .

    Sanctimonious Arriba

  93. @Ryan

    Still surprised you never even heard the Bucs “kicked the tires” on him.

    The Braves are a better team today than they were yesterday and only sacrificed a guy with a middle of the rotation ceiling. Kudos to them.

  94. I had something intelligent to say. I typed it out and read it. I realized that no matter what your stance, this is just far too polarizing to discuss. Perhaps we should all collectively decide to move on, like at a funeral. Walk by, shake hands with the relatives and wonder (quietly) what is really going on underneath that stuffed suit. Folks will say supporting JoPA is like saying you support child molestation…and in ways, they might be right. Others will say that you can’t punish the masses for the actions of a few…and they would have a point too. The NCAA gave everyone a little something in this case. Take it for what it’s worth and let’s move on. No one will really know why the truth was concealed the way it was for so long. We can all make a safe bet and assume the money had a lot to do with it…money and pride. That combination has never produced a winner yet. Over thousands of years it has been proven time and again. Take solace in the fact that the universe still has a way of balancing itself out…with or without JoPA and the fabled Nittany Lions.

  95. Game thread is up.

    I read a article that said Spanier sent an e-mail/letter to the trustees explaining his side of the story.

    I know you are innocent until proven guilty, but from my read, the guy doesn’t get that the buck stops at the top

  96. @ NMR – Dempster to the Braves stings, they are a team in contention for the WC spot should we not win division.

    However, according to Baseball America Delgado was the Braves # 3 prospect entering the season that is the equivalent of our Starling Marte.

  97. Dejan on Twitter earlier:

    “Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic

    Why would #NYRangers give up so much to acquire just another shot-blocker? Should have brought Dan Kesa out of retirement. Or Garry Valk.”
    _________________________________________________________________

    Dejan, I thought you had a much higher opinion of Rick Nash from your mostly-praising comments on Nash over last hockey season.

    Rick Nash is now “Just another shot-blocker?”

    Had me kinda taken aback, to see this coming from you…

  98. @Arriba

    Tone down the rhetoric, you holier-than-thou goody two-shoes.

    Seriously, though, while I agree with the punishments, I don’t agree one bit with the procedure.

    By openly admitting he accepted the Freh Report in lieu of internal investigation, Emmert is setting a dangerous precedent. Remember when just about everyone was saying the Freh report couldn’t be trusted because it was commissioned by PSU? What if they were correct and the Freh Report concluded no ethical flaws? You’re left either accepting that report and issuing no sanctions or doing whatever investigation you need to justify a punishment. Bad policy.

    Plus, how can anyone actual agree with any power grab that is likened to Roger Goodell? It smacks of hypocrisy to consolidate power in a judgement predicated on men having too much.

  99. Arriba is correct.

    Before the cries of lack of due process and NCAA overstepping their authority get too cacophonous, remember these sanctions were imposed pursuant to a consent decree with PSU. Procedural safeguards and due process rights are waived everyday in courts. For an extreme example, look no further than Timothy McVeigh. He ordered his lawyers to stop his capital punishment appeals and knowingly and voluntarily waived his right to further appeals. He was executed within months of the waiver.

    This case has little precedent value as to enlarging the NCAA’S authority and power. One the facts of the case are so odd and hopefully will not be repeated by other schools and, second, PSU consented to the sanctions. A school that would not consent would still have the procedural safeguards and the issues surrounding abuse of authority would be resolved through the procedural and appellate process.

    It is to the credit of PSU that this was implemented pursuant to consent decree.

  100. “I find it completely short sighted to see a region such as western Pennsylvania, where people wear football jerseys to church, condemn anyone else for being a fan.

    Signed,
    PSU Alum in favor of death penalty
    (Obligatory qualifying statement, just for you Jandy)”

    I don’t go to church, I certainly wouldn’t wear a football jersey to one, and I’ve been extremely outspoken on Ben Roethlisberger with my criticism of him as a person. So I must be excluded.

    There is nothing short-sighted or biased with me ripping the PSU culture for this. I’m actually completely objective on this. Just like I am with the Steelers.

  101. @Dave G

    I’m sure DK’s comment was a knock on Tortorellas system, where EVERYONE is reduced to a speed bump on the ice, regardless of skill set.

    @JRay

    I can appreciate that Marte comparison, and think its correct, but I personally would make that deal. I can see why you might think it would be too much for a rental player, though.

  102. Sucks being unfairly labeled, doesn’t it Dan?

    Thanks for unquestionably proving exactly what I was trying to illustrate.

  103. NMR–first, I agree and appreciate that we are having a reasoned discussion on something that we may or may not agree on. No name calling here. And I’m serious about that. I do think at least one of the flaws in the “don’t use the Freeh report” Is that it is looked at as if you are going to use it, you had to decide upfront you would use it regardless of the results. I think it’s just the opposite. Let’s see what it comes up with, and what methods were used, and determine if it was fair and accurate. I say again, Penn State accepted the findings. As someone mentioned earlier, if you stipulate to certain facts, then they are facts. All a school in the future would have to do to distinguish itself from this situation, would be to reject the findings.

  104. I’m certain you’re right, NMR. I took it too seriously.

    Dejan has a love-affair with Nash and wanted badly to see him skate along Crosby’s side.

  105. December 1983 Dan,

    “I don’t go to church, I certainly wouldn’t wear a football jersey to one, and I’ve been extremely outspoken on Ben Roethlisberger with my criticism of him as a person. So I must be excluded.”

    Maybe your problem is, you don’t go to church. “Holier than Thou” attitudes become tamed around saints of faith.

  106. “The Freeh report is not Constitutional law. It is not a court finding. It is the opinion of one man. ”

    Well first of all it’s the opinion of a group of investigators, not one man, so you’re wrong there. There were hundreds of hours of work performed. I love how a several month investigation led by the former director of the FBI (who obviously would know nothing about conducting an investigation) means next to nothing.

    I guess PSU should have waited for the Eddie Valient report.

  107. “Maybe your problem is, you don’t go to church. “Holier than Thou” attitudes become tamed around saints of faith.”

    Go back a thread and read all about the Notre Dame scandal, all shrouded by men of the cloth.

    I don’t have a problem with you Groat but that’s a really strange statement to make.

  108. “103.NMR
    July 23rd, 2012 – 3:52 pm Sucks being unfairly labeled, doesn’t it Dan?

    Thanks for unquestionably proving exactly what I was trying to illustrate.”

    No, it doesn’t really bother me because I know you’re wrong.

  109. I don’t want to get into this, but I’m thinking the Freeh report is pretty much pretty darn factual, else PSU would have fought it a bit more?

  110. @Arriba

    I, too, appreciate the candor. After all, I highly doubt we differ in opinion on the core facts that really matter regarding the crimes and victims.

    I understand your point on the NCAA not accepting the Freh Report had it not agreed with the findings, but in my opinion, that can be easily attacked as just creating whatever “facts” it wanted to justify a preconceived opinion, such as one of public pressure.

    I also strongly disagree with the selective use of precedent. One of the primary reasons some have used for punishment was as a deterrant for other schools. If that is to be accepted as true, then it sets a precedent by definition. In my mind, procedure is just as important as punishment in that sense.

  111. Alright, Dan, you win. Now back to Smiziks blog where you can talk down to everyone and get in bickering matches on a daily basis.

  112. @Biz

    The Freeh Report was never something PSU would agree or disagree with. It is THEIR report.

    They commissioned it. They provided the information. Its purpose was to present facts and suggest solutions.

  113. Does PSU have to honor scholarships if players transfer for football, and then return to complete studies? If so, sounds fair enough to me.

    I think concerns about the economy are a moot point. I’d expect a lot of TV sponsors to drop them. Maybe some oponents. Attendance should drop (at least the couple games I’ve attended in recent years). Also an opportunity to find another draw,

    I think it’s dumb to say the sex fair compares to this situation at all. And the only people I’ve heard that hated Paterno (before) were the super-competitive football fans. I doubt their happy with the punishment

    I can’t help but think more important than the ‘football culture’ is the ‘corporate culture’. The NCAA wants to tidy this story up before this season starts. The whole time PSU wanted to keep football money rolling in.

    PSU, to me, has been revealed as just another corporate asset under the direction of ceo’s from the likes of Merck and US Steel, and influenced by industries like natural gas, biotech, football, etc. Above the goal of academics.

    No further ‘truth’ will exonerate Paterno. I still expect many more were implicated. It’s difficult to stomach the evidence presented. It’s going to take me a while to reconcile my opinion of him.

  114. NMR–to the extent I understand them, I disagree with your last 2 paragraphs. I agree procedure is important, but it appears that what you are saying is “they had to.”. Maybe the reason they ” had to” (my personal opinion ) is because they had to based on the facts of the situation. (another way of saying the facts concluded by the Freeh Report were accurate). To me, and I’m just speaking for me, I don’t see any real danger for procedure going forward.

  115. PSU hand-picked Louis Freeh to head the investigation and agreed to honor its findings no matter what well ahead of time. So essentially there is no one challenging the findings except for the guy at the end of the bar in the PSU hat. Dragging this thing out for another year or more so the NCAA could conduct it’s own investigation only leaves the wound open that much longer. Apparently the investigation was so well-done there was no point in even attempting to dig deeper.

    NMR, speaking of talking down, you’ve done more of that today than anyone. I spoke in general terms in all of my posts, you chose to pick people off one by one like Arriba and try to bully people into your opinion because there is no evidence in your corner. It’s shameful. When I make strong, convincing arguments I use facts. Just because I’m good at something doesn’t mean I’m “holier than thou.” And you know what? Maybe I am in this case. As DK said above, it requires a very, very low horse to be above some of the people making excuses for why a game should continue when the game is the whole reason the cover-up happened.

  116. >> The NCAA finally showed guts. Who knew?

    You’ve got to be kidding me. Throwing red meat to the SANCTIMONIOUS, media-inflamed, pitchfork-toting angry mob takes no guts at all. Standing up to that nonsense and letting the criminal justice system do its job would have taken real guts. This move is the very definition of cowardly.

  117. I do think the NCAA “power grab” arguments, from both sides of the isle so to speak, are misguided, at best.

  118. Interesting tweets from Dejan, if I read them right, PSU did not dispute the sanctions due in part to the fact the NCAA was talking about a 4 year death penalty, that is from the PSU prez

  119. @Arriba

    So you would be content if the Freeh Report concluded PSU did no wrong?

    I know I wouldn’t.

  120. @Cambria

    I don’t know, but I think I read that if a player decides to quit playing football, PSU has to honor his scholarship.

    @NMR, I’m honestly not sure what you are arguing

  121. NMR at #120. “So you would be content if the Freeh Report concluded PSU did no wrong?

    I know I wouldn’t.”

    I specifically said at #104 in response to a post from you:

    “I do think at least one of the flaws in the ‘don’t use the Freeh report’ Is that it is looked at as if you are going to use it, you had to decide upfront you would use it regardless of the results. I think it’s just the opposite. Let’s see what it comes up with, and what methods were used, and determine if it was fair and accurate.”

  122. Fair enough, Arriba. I believe you.

    I get the feeling, though, that any outcome other than the one reported would’ve been condemned. Writers had been saying from the beginning that the report couldn’t be trusted. Their words, not mine.

  123. Side bar, doesn’t it at least intrigue you that somehow the Freeh Report could be so critical of Spanier, yet the government apparently didn’t even find enough to take away his security clearance?

    Something, on one of the ends, doesn’t seem to add up.

    DK: Eureka!

  124. @Bizrow, I will be surprised to see anyone quitting football altogether.

  125. I don’t speak for the writers, NMR, but if the Freeh report would have said, we talked to Spanier, Curly and Schultz and found no problem, you can bet I’d be criticizing it, along with the writers, and anyone with a brain, which would include many of the Trustees, I would expect. (Remember, it was done AFTER the Grand Jury report.) I don’t understand this fascination with what was said before the report came out.

  126. 1. Penn State was given an ultimatum by the NCAA — the posted sanctions or a long death penalty.
    2. Whether the sanctions are correct or not, the NCAA did violate its own due process procedures on rebuttal and appeal to the infractions committee, a former member of which stated that the Penn State circumstances were outside the committee’s purview.
    3. In sanctioning Penn State, the NCAA has essentially said that it can sanction any university unilaterally for any heinous associated with any member of its athletic program.
    4. The Freeh report may be accurate in its general description and valid for sanctioning Penn State as a whole, but its weakness is that the investigators did not have access to all key personnel (let’s read Curley, Schultz, and Paterno, among others). The evidence used against Paterno is actually hearsay, and all we have is Curley’s summary of his decision — not the actual discussions themselves, in which Paterno’s recommendations may have been different from the inferences people are making. The point is not that he is guiltless, but that no one had the opportunity to cross examine their accusers or otherwise impeach the evidence. The Freeh report is telling and damning, but it is nothing more than a prosecutor’s brief, when applied at the individual level.

    DK: Well, I guess that’s that then.

    Or, the NCAA and Penn State reached CONSENT on a punishment and, thus, none of any of the loophole talk out there applies. It’s cut and dried, black and white. Consent is consent. Case closed.

  127. There is no basis in law or reason to say that the fact someone will not cooperate in a non-criminal investigation because they exercise their constitutional right not to incriminate themselves in a separate criminal proceeding means the non-criminal investigation cannot go forward or reach any conclusions. Or that the fact someone dies means you can’t come to any conclusions about what they did before they died. the evidence in this case isn’t even close. And if you read the Freeh report, the conclusions were mainly based on documentary evidence, not that x number of people said _____.

  128. I find this punishment to be way more appropriate than handing down the death penalty. The death penalty seemed like the equivalent of “throwing money at a problem” (obvioulsly in a different way, like just kill the program and hope that resolves the problem). This was a more creative approach that minimized the collateral damage and pointed the punishment towards the appropriate parties. I’m especially pleased with the vacating of wins. The punishment was severe enough to show all schools that the NCAA can come down on them hard (although all the incoming lawsuits will be a bigger deterent). But also, now the innocent fans can still have their football and support their team and the businesses have a chance to continue to stay open and profit. There was never going to be a perfect solution, but I find this to be a satisfactory resolution.

  129. To quote a great journalist, “If this doesn’t qualify for the death penalty, God help us on the day we find out what does.”

    Honestly, football, in this case NCAA football is ABOVE THE LAW! It’s SYSTEMIC. Police CORRUPTION at its WORSE. Doesn’t that scare ANYBODY out there?

    If a violation such as this does NOT SCREAM for the Dealth penalty. tell me, WHAT WOULD CONSTITUTE the Death Penalty?

    Paying Players?
    Providing Prostitutes for all players, coaches, prospects?
    Providing Drugs for all players, coaches, prospects?
    Point Shaving?

    Really. This wasn’t some pervert in a closet that nobody knew about. I’ve read stories where THE STUDENT BODY knew “something” was going on with that guy.

    IT WAS COVERED UP FROM THE TOP DOWN. From the President down to a Graduate Assistant (please don’t blame the GA for all of this, that’s not my point). EVERY LEVEL.

    Why – stupid (yes, stupid) college sports. I hope YOUR SON gets violated by a perverted homosexual pedofile and it gets covered up BY THE POLICE, then we’ll see what you think about “proper number of wins vacated”.

    Good grief!

    (Upper East Tennessee)

  130. Any penalty for Penn State University that does not include the complete removal of football is simply not severe enough. Vacating victories during the Paterno era is a hollow gesture and does absolutely nothing to temper the complete arrogance with which this university has conducted itself. The NCAA has failed. Again. Shame on all involved, including the President of the university and the worthless bag of wind who occupies the governor’s mansion. While 100,000 cheer at football games this fall, the victims of Jerry Sandusky, Joe Paterno, and Graham Spanier will continue their search for justice and healing. The NCAA and the state university of Pennsylvania are a joke.

  131. Does anyone here know if any of the documentation collected in the Freeh report about Joe Paterno would stand in court as direct evidence that he supported and/or orchestrated a coverup?

    Unlike most others here, it is probably fair to say, I read most of the Freeh report and it seems to rely upon a great deal of assertion and assumption in an attempt to piece together the corroborative effect that Paterno actually directed a coverup.

    What I did read seemed to point to a man somewhat untrained to deal with such things, a man who was understandably reluctant to make criminal accusations based upon two events he was informed about, separated by three years, that others allegedly saw. Keep in mind Joe Paterno didn’t witness any of the events that have only recently been ruled as crimes against Sandusky.

    I also read about a campus police chief, sworn to protect the public, failing to report the accusations. His actions are supposed to transcend politics. Unfortunately, they didn’t here.

    To simply conclude that Paterno was interested only in avoiding negative publicity as concerns the football program, is a bit of a reach, based on the content of the report.

    Freeh’s report has the look of a whitewash designed to confirm the reflexive and premature actions taken by the Penn State Board of Trustees against Paterno in November 2011. Unfortunately, the NCAA decided to make their decision based upon Freeh’s report, without doing their own investigation, where the university would have a chance to defend itself.

    Despite the university once again caving to a ravenous press and delirious public opinion, this thing isn’t over yet.

  132. DK and @128
    I agree that Penn State consented to the sanctions. My point, however, is twofold: First, the NCAA has just set itself to penalize universities unilaterally for what it considers heinous acts. It is immaterial whether Penn State consented, because they never had a chance to speak. Second, the Freeh report is more useful for suggesting blame and for addressing institutional issues. You can draw conclusions from the evidence, but they had access only to those who cooperated, witnesses could not be rebutted, evidence that would be inadmissible in a court of law was permitted, thus putting at risk assessments of fault of individuals. You can penalize an institution for the acts of individuals, which is what the NCAA did, but the degree of culpability of certain of the principles is open to legitimate question. As just one example, there is not direct, documentary evidence of Paterno’s actions, except as it was filtered through the e-mails of others. I say this not to excuse, which I cannot, but only to say that the Freeh story is not complete. It certainly could be worse, but it might not be.

    DK: Mike, I respect your civility, as well as the information you’re offering. I’m still not buying the explanation for consent. Consent is consent, man. Don’t know what you mean by not having a chance to speak. Consent is verbal, written, whatever, but it’s consent.

  133. To answer your earlier question concerning location, I’m at Thule, Greenland.

    DK: Awesome! Welcome! That’s tremendous.

  134. I will not argue that the Penn State administrators & Paterno deserve any consequences related to the tragedies they may have created no matter how severe . I feel the Paterno family, Spanier, etc. have the right to defend themselves of the accusations leveled against them given the the author of the Freeh Report has a pretty dubious record of moral integrity himself. I would be fascinated to know how the PSU board arrived at the choice of Louis Freeh to investigate this case. Maybe they thought with his alleged cover ups and incompetence as FBI director he would recognize a train wreck when saw one. His report may be spot on accurate but the author’s integrity is questionable at best. Although he seems to have gone a long way with this report towards elevating his former questionable reputation. You would think given its importance the background of the author Freeh Report would have at least been mentioned. I am not a college football fan or a Paterno admirer but I believe every body should at least have the right to defend themselves before they are excoriated.

  135. Edward @132 – you make some valid points, but we just recently found out about the 11th boy (his adopted son) and know of 45 situations where a crime was committed. Prosecuted. By his peers. That’s not counting any other boys or incidences that we do not know about.

    You can claim that lack of action does not mean “cover up”. There are laws protecting minors. Authority figures (that authority works both ways) are held to a higher standard There are laws requiring reporting of any wrong-doing with minors, the truly innocent.

  136. DK:
    All I was referring to was the NCAA’s apparent (and I use apparent because the NCAA head of infractions denied there was an either/or) offer of the death penalty or the accepted sanctions without an opportunity of public rebuttal. I think that the existing Penn State leadership felt they had no choice to object because they did not want any more bad public relations. (I am amazed at pundits pontificating on Penn State from well outside of the sports arena.) However, I still feel that the NCAA’s actions set a precedent that when its leadership deems it “right” that it will impose unilateral sanctions without the chance of full due process. One might infer that the NCAA is setting itself to judge not only the fairness of a sports program but also its morals.

    One other point that I think is getting lost in the whole discussion is that good people can commit evil and evil people can do good. That is a person can be good and evil and both can be part of his/her legacy. It does not have to be one or the other. However much Joe Paterno abetted (indirectly or not) a pedophile he obviously helped lots of his football players live better lives. The pedophile Jerry Sandusky, however much he used Second Mile for his lusts, still created an organization that was a strong benefit to other youngsters, as the graduates of last week’s camps attest.

  137. I saw Governor Corbett on a local news report stating he suggested Louis Freeh. It’s no wonder that Attorney General Tom Corbett seemed to be given a Freeh Pass in the report.

  138. As a Penn Stater with both undergrad and grad degrees and having worked for the University as a grad assistant, I am truly a Penn State fan for all areas, not just football. I played a sport for two years there and can say the football program helped our team with funding but even more importantly, setting immutable standards with which we had to comply for academic standards. Our coaches would tell us that if the football team could comply, we would too. There is still so much good @ PSU that those of us who had the chance to go there will always know what it was like to be in an amazing environment for academics as well as outside of the classroom. Whatever you were interested in doing, you could do it at Penn State. At State College I learned to ski, rock climb, tend bar, bird hunt, backpack, drive a school bus and bicycle the back country roads among many other cool things such as serve as an honor society president and concert committee member. The national media is not taking any of this into account, they are focusing on only the darkest element of the Penn State story and ratcheting it up a notch or ten because it’s the story du jour and they all need more eyes on their pages. Very few have taken any kind of holistic view and have gone out of their way to bury Caesar for truly, in NCAA sports, Penn State was among the few that the NCAA could not find issue with for their entire existence. Will the NCAA now wield it’s bully pulpit to approach other areas where it has been sorely lacking such as actual student/athletes in it’s football and basketball programs? Will it hold it’s coaches to higher standards of scholarship or turn a blind eye to the sham of the Saturday afternoon game of fielding very few who are in any sense academic? Will it look into the racist practice of even further lack of academic achievement among it’s black athletes? While my kids went elsewhere, Ivy League and another State school, both visited PSU and were both extremely impressed. I didn’t push any schools on them (with the exception of CMU) and would have been happy to have either go to PSU and still truly believe in PSU even with the media in full-tilt massacre mode.

    Reading through these posts I’m not surprised to see essentially three camps:

    1 – Always hated Penn State and I’ve finally got ammunition to support my bias. Now I can tramp hard on them without fear of repercussion.

    2 – In shock about what transpired and hope this never occurs again anywhere.

    3 – In shock yet am proud of my University and hope for better days while I also see the illegality of the NCAA actions particularly since no one has actually testified in a court of law about the details of the cover-up.

    Put me down for #3.

    Am a huge fan of Dejan’s columns and blogs but also try to read other editorials. Check out Stewart Mandel as well as Michael Rosenberg’s column today, both on CNNSI . Maybe Dejan could read them as well?

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.


Other Blogs
Sports: Dejan Kovacevic | Steel Mill | Chipped Ice | Bucco Blog | Sitting Ringside | Pitt Locker Room | Penn State Sports | H.S. Sports Insiders
News: This Just In | Trib List
» Top TribLIVE.com Sports
» Top TribLIVE.com News
» Top TribLIVE.com Breaking News