On location: Cubs 5, Pirates 1

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (54-41) vs. Chicago Cubs (39-56)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup vs. Chicago LHP Paul Maholm

1. Drew Sutton, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Casey McGehee, 1B
  5. Garrett Jones, RF
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Rod Barajas, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. James McDonald, RHP

UPDATE 4:28 p.m.: A few words this afternoon with Evan Meek, whom I always refer to by his last name so don’t get weirded out by it …

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6BvMRwlOGY

Comments

While The Window works, the rest of us play:

Here is Playoff’s Over/Under for tonight’s big game:

Playoffs by 2012
    July 24th, 2012 – 7:52 am

Let’s open the window!!

Tonight’s OVER / UNDER (always for fun of course)

Total Combined Hits + Walks for Andrew McCutchen
    Line is 2.5

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY SINGLE LINE ***

61 Current Fair Weather Participants!!
    If you haven’t played yet, what are you waiting for??!!??
    Anyone can play!! Everyone should TRY!!
    What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    GlassHalfFull ** -305
    bman ** -340
    Kevin S ** -400
    bob hasis ** -575
    Boise Bucco ** -600
    TDB1977 ** -1040

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) 2012 Topps Roberto Clemente Card

@Playoffs:

I’ll open the wagering with 50 bit o honeys on the UNDER

Maholm is a lefty, Cutch eats leftys for lunch. We need him tonigh. My worry is we lose this

100 on the OVAH

Thanks John, thanks Playoffs

BEAT EM BUCS

Nashville matches the Flyers offer for Weber

I guess he still could be traded to them though

5. pattonbb says:

Playoffs – 100 on the OVER

6. JRay3 says:

From Rob Biertempfel:

#PIrates OF Jose Tabata “looks totally checked-out” in minors, Triple-A Indy broadcaster Will Flemming told TribLiveRadio today: “Not only has he not been not sharp offensively, but his effort on defense at times has been totally appalling. Tabata has cost the Indians games and runs with just a complete lack of effort, getting after baseballs and with throws.”

Wow when the AAA broadcaster is even throwing you under the bus you know it is bad. Just don’t get it with Tabata, as I have always felt he could be one of the “future” long-term pieces. With reports like this you have to wonder how long a leash the team will give him.

7. cmat0829 says:

CUTCH vs. a soft-tossing, afraid to throw the ball inside, LHP. OVER, POR FAVOR. 100 UNITS.

a fun over/under of my own for y’all to ponder: OVER/UNDER fastballs to inside third of the plate by Maholm… line set by Ray Searage and Clint Hurdle at 1.5.

JRay:

That is quite the post. I always like Tabata coming up. Guess there are two roads to take when being sent to the minors; work on improving and impressing the brass or sulking. Looks like Tabby picked sulking. Sad.

Maybe Tabby needs a change of scenery?

10. LuckyNKentucky says:

Maybe Tabby needs a good, old-fashioned butt whipping. A chance to play baseball for a living, a long-term deal, albeit team friendly, a team that stuck by him when he went through mulitiple personal problems, a team that is winning, his icon’s team. The guy needs a wakeup call. Maybe the Gunner could have a word with him. He’s his biggest fan.

11. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

100 on OVER, should destroy PM.

12. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Lucky

I think that’s what his demotion should’ve meant or at least, how he should’ve taken it.

13. tmp444 says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there something sid by NH when Presley was sent down that he worked his tail off and earned his way back up? I mean, I understand moping for a while on the demotion, but someone has to be telling him that he’s working on one of three things very quickly (demotion to AA, purgatory in AAA, release), and none of those options include a call up to the big club if his BS continues.

Bizrow — your worry matches my worry. This is a big game tonight. Cincy is RED HOT, have just as easy of a schedule as we have. We must match win for win, or else we could be 4 or 5 back very quickly.

That said, I think we do bounce back tonight, led by the subject of tonight’s O/U.

Playoffs/John — I’ll take 100 on the OVAH pertty please. Thanks to both of you, as always!

14. The Gunner says:

@ Lucky – #10

Ha ha ha – thank you for acknowledging my disdain for Tabata.

I only wish the Great One was still alive, he would physically beat the crap out of that disingenuous scumbag.

15. crkkid says:

@ playoffs

Lefty going….let me get the over for 100 units.

Thanks!

16. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Lucky

“Has DK ever weighed in on Victorino or Pence or even the now, supposedly off-the-market Upton?”

I can’t recall DK ever mentioning any names that he would choose or like to see. I think, and I could be way off base here, that if he were to do something like that, that it could be taken the wrong way an added to the rumor mill.

He has mentioned that something needs to be done, but keeps names out of it.

DK: Victorino is cited — and touted — in the Monday column.

17. LuckyNKentucky says:

Ryan,

I believe you’re right, but the kid ain’t gettin’ it for some reason. Like they told Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke, he “needs to get his mind right”.

18. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Hmmm, not a fan of GFJ and Pedro back to back against a lefty, but both have improved on their numbers recently against lefties…..and pretty much every other category.

19. LuckyNKentucky says:

Gunner,

I share your disdain. I don’t care for loafers in any profession.

20. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Lucky

Totally agree…….did you see my response in the other thread about Pence?

21. LuckyNKentucky says:

Ryan,

I did. (#20) I didn’t remember the mention in the Monday column of Victorino although I read it and pressed the like button. Time to re-read.

22. bman says:

@Playoffs

I’ll go with 75 on the OVER

23. DemonDachshund says:

@Playoffs -

I’ll take 100 on the UNDER, and hope I lose.

I just have a bad feeling about Maholm tonight.

re- DK is a columnist these days, so he’s supposed to opinions.

Yeah, and IMO its pretty disturbing how much venting is going at him on the daylight thread.

25. LuckyNKentucky says:

Maholm’s ERA is 0.89 in his last 4 outings. Time for “hidden vigorish” and a good pasting. I like the guy, but not against us.

26. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs –

Well time for the Buccos to get back into the ‘W” column and a little help from anybody versus the Reds would be appreciated. That is the thing about this time of year the good teams start their sprint and we need to keep pace.

As for tonight boy tough line as Cutch has only achieved this once in his past five games after quite the tear. Couple that with Maholm who played with Cutch and am sure has some game plan for him leads me to go against the grain on this play.

I will take 100 on the UNDER.

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

The thing is, these are all still major league clubs, some post that we got an easy schedule and are counting their chickens before they are hatched.

Un-Uh, you gotta win them

A long way to go, miles to go before we sleep.

Call me cautiously optimistic, hoping, but you know that expect word.

Jason Kendall retires, BTW

29. JoeBucco says:

I can’t help but wonder if Tabata got tired of hearing about how bad of a contract he signed. He’s a better player than he’s shown for sure, so I don’t know what to make of the guy. Seeing other guys sign better deals has to make you wonder if jealousy set in a bit.

Well, and with Tabby too, that marriage thing has to make you scratch your head as to whether or not his head is completely screwed on?

31. PetroSteel says:

It appears obvious that Tabata might be dealing with off the field issues. Hope he gets everything worked out.

32. Karen22 says:

100 on the OVER, please…Cutch has been pretty quiet (singles/walks/K’s) of late—time to bust out against the lefty.

Tabata—epic FAIL. He’d best not utter the name of his idol again. #21 is rolling in his grave.

Victorino—YES, please! (Pence is a pipedream).

33. SlackBoss says:

@playoffs – 100 on the under

Lets go Bucs!

34. radio wave says:

At playoffs:
    75 on the over please.

35. Kevin says:

Playoffs –

Costanza tells me to take 100 on the UNDER tonight…please. Thanks.

36. Milo66 says:

100 on the OVER

Go Bucs!

37. Virgin Rich from Landsdale,

Thanks for the heads up on Victorino from the previous thread! It helps to have eyewitnesses.

My opinion too is that his halcyon days have donned a grass skirt and shimmied away.

38. Dcpinpgh says:

100 on da over please

39. Curt says:

I will go 100 on the UNDER.

Glad to see Alex Presley take to the bench. Let’s Go Bucs!

40. JMB says:

100 on the UNDER.

Thanks!

41. Boise Bucco says:

Hanley Ramirez would look good batting 2nd…as long as he takes his antibiotics

42. LuckyNKentucky says:

Groat,

You’re the best at name butchering, bar none. If what Virgin Rich says is true, and eyewitnesses with some knowledge of the game usually are accurate, we don’t need another loafer here. The Derek Shutdowns, Jeremy Burnitzes, Joggin’ Joes and all slackers of any sort should be long gone. This be a pennant race.

43. pattonbb says:

Hope Tabata figures it out. That contract will stop being viewed as being team friendly if he can’t make the team.

44. RobertoForever says:

@pattonbb

Agreed. A lineup with a hustling Tabata batting at the top of the order is a definite better order.

45. RobertoForever says:

@Playoffs

Setting the line at 2.5 is really making us stretch.

Cutch does feast on LHP, but he hasn’t seen lefties recently. That may explain his “lower” numbers in the past few games.

But I think that “knowing” thing works both ways, and my money is on Cutch figuring out Maholm, rather than Maholm figuring out the MVP Cutch.

So I will take 50 units on the OVER.

Bear em Bucs. Need to go bear hunting tonight!

46. swissvaletoarizonapat says:

i like maholm, but im gonna have to say 150 on the over here… can you bet ore then you have won, i see some people are in the minus so, im gonna roll with that.

if not 50 on the over.

47. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@DK

Thanks, I have no idea how I missed that…….re-reading!

48. jeffsbar says:

@Playoffs

100 on the UNDER

Thank you.

49. Mlrgenuine says:

@Playoffs – I think I’ll take 100 on the OVER.

Thanks!

Let’s Go Bucs!

50. cosmo says:

@ Playoffs

100 on the over.

51. @Playoffs, I would like to go 50 on the UNDER. Thanks.

52. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I think the explanation of Cutch’s “lower numbers” is the fact that pitchers/teams are FINALLY not pitching to him, making him get himself out, which he has lately by swinging at sliders down and away (probably the hardest pitch to hit, unless you’re Ted Williams).

Its a good approach by the opposition, make him get himself out. He wouldn’t have had a hit last night either if they didn’t put that stupid shift on for him…….

Ok, lunatics, making some progress here

If you don’t see your current residence listed, please drop a line with where you are residing. If you are a hero in the military, a police officer or a fire fighter, please add that

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg
    China – Singapore
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park, Denver, Boulder
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera)
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Greenland – Thule
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Lincoln Park, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Mountain Home AFB*
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley
    The Phillipines
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton
    Utah – Salt Lake City
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville

219 locations represented in the blog,
    10 countries plus Greenland
    39 states, plus the District of Columbia

BEAT EM BUCS

DK: Greenland! We’ve truly made it, people.

Playoffs–75 on the OVER please.

DK–not very fair to call Meek “Meek.” What’s he going to call you?

55. DemonDachshund says:

I think that Cutch’s “lower numbers” are simply because it’s pretty darn hard to hit over .500 for a month.

.381/.500/.524 over the last 7 days are stats that any player in the league would be more than happy to have.

Cutch had 2 hits and 2 BB’s in Maholm’s start against the Bucs on May 26 at PNC. I’m sure Playoffs knew that. Guy is amazing.

57. Bucco_Jax says:

@Playoffs

99 UNDER

58. DemonDachshund says:

I would also like to point out that Philly fans have booed Santa Claus, so please keep that in mind before writing Victorino off.

I also note that Burnett was hated by most Yankee fans before coming over to us. Take a look at any comments section regarding that trade, his rep was everything from lazy to a head case.

Sometimes a change of scenery is just what a player needs. (Looking in the direction of Tabata…)

59. JaxBuc says:

@Playoffs

80 units on the UNDER, please (and I hope I lose my “bet” by the 4th inning).

Just curious, is Greenland its own country, or part of Canada?

Dejan, IMO we made it with Winnipeg

61. Kevin says:

I think Denmark owns or at one time owned Greenland, Biz. Not sure now.

I can say my Dad was stationed at Thule Air Base in 1956 for a good bit (if anyone cares…and I am not offended if you don’t).

JohninOshkosh gets the finders fee for Greenland, BTW, much thanks

Thanks, Kevin, was wondering who owned it, was pretty sure it wasn’t Canada, but was thinking maybe Iceland

But I will add the askerisk of honor for another hero in our midst

64. Chico says:

@playoffs

Tough line…

I’ll go 75 on the over. Thanks!

65. DemonDachshund says:

@Bizrow -

From wikipedia: Greenland (Kalaallisut: Kalaallit Nunaat, “Land of the Kalaallit”;[6] Danish: Grønland) is an autonomous country within the Kingdom of Denmark.

Oh, and something that’s bugged me every time I see it on the list, and I always forget to mention when we chat… Singapore is its own country, and is not a part of China.

Thanks, Chris, err I mean Demon

Hope to see you in September

Or there are two playoff tickets ;-)

Did anyone else in grade school do that geography exercise where you tried to flatten a detached panel from a basketball to explain why Greenland looks so big on a flat map? I guess kids don’t look at flat maps anymore. Everything online.

68. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Demon

You’re right, he really has nowhere to go but down with those numbers. So because he goes a game or two without a homerun or multiple hit game it seems as though he’s slacking……..

Dude’s unreal.

69. hal Smith says:

I wager 100 euros on the over.

BTW I was wondering if the surviving members of The Clash OK’d NBC to use the great “London Calling” single. I saw the first commercial with it today. Royalties now flowing in from Jaguar and NBC-never thought I would see the day, but good for them.

Saw a picture of the Olympic rings hanging from the expanse of the Tower Bridge in London. Awesome sight. Being a lifelong anglophile-I’m very envious, Dejan.

71. LuckyNKentucky says:

DD,

Rich from Landsdale said in the previous thread that Victorino was uninterested this season in Philly and might be doggin’ it. Hope that’s not true, especially if he comes here. Should be enough incentive here for him or anyone to give 100%. I know they’d boo about anyone in Phileo-town, but loafing is a real reason to.

72. Kevin S says:

100 over please… Gotta win tonite…

73. Kevin S says:

The Bucs… not me…

Lansdale? Crap, its already on the list

Folks, I really think a major splash (IMO Victorino/Pence etc are major splashes) just isn’t in NH’s genes.

But we’ll see

75. JMB says:

There is no way that ZLee should be the Dempster price. I remember wanting Kershaw for Bay, but he was on the Dodgers’ list of “no way in Hades.” Dempster for two months for Delgado was a bit of a reach as it was.

76. LuckyNKentucky says:

Biz,

I believe you’re spot on. Too many hints to the contrary. Like NMR said earlier, it takes faith to believe NH would get somebody like Pence long-term. But Victorino being a rental, we can still hope. (Note: not faith, hope)

77. manny _sanguine says:

@playoffs

100 on the OVER pls

thanks

78. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Big THANK YOU again to JohninOshkosh for being my proxy today. It is much appreciated.

To everyone who is playing tonight, your (fake) wagers have been tallied so…..YOU GOT IT AND GOOD LUCK!!

79. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@swiss,

Just an FYI. 100 (fake) units is the most that can be placed on any one line.

Probably in the category of ho-hum sports news, but Steelers signed Tomlin to a 3 year extension.

81. twentytwo22 says:

Maholm.. 11 pitches, 8 pitches out of the strike zone, 3 outs. 3 bad at-bats. McCutchen’s wasn’t nearly as bad as the other two but it looked like he swung at ball 4.

It’s gotta be weird for Maholm sitting in the visitor’s dugout at PNC.

83. Kevin says:

I would like to see him back in the home dugout at PNC…just my opinion.

84. Eric Bowser says:

LOL at Phillies for thinking the Pirates would trade a multi-year asset (Lincoln) for a rental (Victorino).

And hey Roots Sports, NO ONE cares about “All-Access Night”. I want to watch winning baseball, that’s it.

85. JRay3 says:

If Sutton in LF and Jones having to hit against a LHP is not a sign that we need to add a RH Corner OF I am not sure what is.

Now let’s not let Maholm get in a groove, time to get some runs off the Cubs.

86. JRay3 says:

Well this is a rather ominous looking start. J-Mac will need to hold serve.

87. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@JRay

#FreeMarte

88. Reading says:

This is embarrassing. Being schooled.

I’d trade Lincoln for Vic, in a heart beat.

90. Eric Bowser says:

How dare the Steelers try to slip this Tomlin extension during a time when fans and media are paying attention to the Pirates and would just ignore the Steelers announcement.

/sarcasm

91. Kevin says:

Agreeing with Ryan – I just don’t understand the delay in getting Marte up to the majors. He hits a bump in the road (as does every pro), comes back strong and still NOTHING!! It’s a head-scratcher…

92. twentytwo22 says:

Jones & McGehee made outs on balls. Walker up 1-0, Jones up 2-1, Alvarez up 1-0 all swung at balls. Hopefully a major league offense shows up soon. It’s Paul frickin Maholm. Teams that don’t swing at his fringe pitches end up teeing off of him.

93. Playoffs by 2012 says:

It just dawned on me. Maybe…..just maybe we’ve been looking at this whole Marte thing the wrong way. I thin Huntington is seeing how the Pirates react to not having a hot-shot prospect on the team…….

94. JMB says:

Lincoln seems to have a decent of amount of interest/trade value, so I’d hate to waste him on Victorino.

Hughes was more than fair the more I think about it.

95. JRay3 says:

@ Ryan – No kidding, huh?

Walk’s lying, the strikeout pitch from JMac was not in the strike zone. (I think he knows that).

Second that, Arriba.

If the Pirates have proven anything, its that relievers come and go.

98. Eric Bowser says:

@Arriba – really? Victorino isn’t exactly producing much offense at a home park that is built for good numbers.

99. Eric Bowser says:

@NMR – Lincoln is more than just a typical reliever. He could be the heir apparent to the closer’s role with Hanrahan about to become a very rich man or possibly move back in the starting rotation next season. I’m not sure Lincoln is someone that should be traded for a rental.

Trade him for someone that is going to be here for more than one year.

100. JMB says:

If the Phils want Lincoln, they can have him (with Grossman for Pence). That would be awesome!

101. twentytwo22 says:

This umpires strikezone looks right on. Perfect against Maholm. If the Pirates show good plate discipline, they are going to kill him.

102. JMB says:

What a cannon!

103. Kevin says:

Alright, been through him once…now we can start HITTING!! Geez.

104. TDB1977 says:

Make him pay for walking the pitcher!

105. twentytwo22 says:

James McDonald showed how it’s done. Hopefully the rest of the team learned something.

Eric—yep, not going to be able to get anyone giving up Tabata and Hague. Have to give something to get something. Nothing against Brad, but out of the possibilities, yep, I’d do that.

107. Kevin says:

Ironic that the pitcher is the one showing discipline at the plate…think the Bucs are a bit over anxious?

Not necessarily a bad thing…

2 infield singles in 12 innings. And they didn’t exactly hit the cover off the ball against Miami either.

109. JRay3 says:

What is it with the Cubs? I don’t need to remind anybody it was Aug 1-4 last year the Bucs were swept by the Cubs at home and they never saw .500 again.

We need SOME production from Barajas and Barmes the bottom third of the order is just a give-away. Let Fort play more if we are not going to get some hitting. Through 3 without a HIT after not hitting last night, not good.

110. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I think Gorkys could’ve gotten a start today. At least he could try to bunt his way on every AB….

111. LuckyNKentucky says:

Now, all of a sudden, we can’t hit again? Not a good time for that. Wasted a good Bedard outing. Now, making Paul look like Cy.

112. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Seems as though both pitchers are mowing them down, minus the mistake JMac made to Castro.

I expect PM to start making his usual mistakes in the next few innings. I don’t care that they haven’t yet thus far, but they will turn the corner.

113. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Lucky

This should’ve been expected. I don’t think anybody predicted the Pirates hot bats would stay as hot as they have been.

There are NO easy wins at this level. All pitchers are in command of the ball game, win or lose.

How about a line drive ?

115. cosmo says:

DK

Were you the one who hacked the ASU twitter thread?

116. Eric Bowser says:

According Rob Biertempfel, Pirates have a scout in Philadelphia, possibly to look at Victorino (and maybe Pence)?

There we go.

118. Kevin says:

Pence would be awesome…and at this point, I don’t care what the cost (not really, but you know what I am saying). And I always believed Victorino would be a plus…

119. TDB1977 says:

FINALLY! Thank you Jones for showing up your second time around.

120. Eric Bowser says:

No hitter… gone. Shutout…. gone

1-1 Pirates after Jones HR to RF

121. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

GFJ!!!!!!

Awesome

122. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Guys, it will come together…….I feel the 4 spot coming on either next inning or in the 6th.

123. LuckyNKentucky says:

Kevin,

I’ve been singing the Pence tune ad nauseum. Too many arguments to the contrary are solid, though.

Great to see Jones whack a lefty.

124. Eric Bowser says:

I’d like to see the Pirates get Juan Pierre (LF/Leadoff) and Hunter Pence (RF/#5) to address the two spots in the lineup that I think can be better than what they are getting right now. It would shift McGehee and Presley to the bench, probably Hernandez and Mercer to AAA.

125. RobertoForever says:

Nice HR by Jones …..against a Left handed pitcher. Good thing Clint has finally given him another start against lefties.

Jones should be starting everyday, and its McGehee that might need to get some days off against righties.

126. cosmo says:

Pence would look good in a Bucco uniform, but as Eric noted we still need a leadoff
    hitter. Presley is not the answer and from all accounts neither is Tabata.

@Eric

I think Victorino would lead off here. I like Juan Pierre as a cheaper last ditch option.

128. TDB1977 says:

Really McDonald! You need to toss some strikes in there.

129. Eric Bowser says:

@Milo – I just wonder if the Phillies want more for Victorino than what the Pirates are willing to give up. I wouldn’t move Lincoln, hopefully Huntington feels the same way.

130. Eric Bowser says:

Not liking the second half performance by J-Mac, absolutely cannot walk the pitcher with two outs and two men on.

131. RobertoForever says:

Just as a note, Hunter Pence’s stats are the same as our current starting RF, Mr. Garrett Jones. And that is what we want to pay $15 million plus give up two top prospects?

132. LuckyNKentucky says:

Eric,

I wouldn’t move Hughes either, the way he’s pitched. Not for a rental.

133. LuckyNKentucky says:

Roberto,

Pence has more tools and is somewhat younger.

134. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

wow…..the cardinal sin of baseball…….walk the pitcher to load the bases

Eric–who/what would you be willing to give up to get Vic? Or do you just not want him?

136. Mike Shigley says:

On a good note, Heredia had another solid outing this afternoon — 5 innings, 2 hits, 2 strikeouts, no walks, one run (a home run, the first he has allowed), and the win.

The key to that inning was throwing a 3-2 curve to Soto with 1 out & nobody on. Soto hitting a robust .188. Mental error shared by the catcher.

If you guys aren’t willing to move Hughes or Lincoln, then you’re comfortable with the current team on August 1st.

Clint Barmes hits like Andy Laroche, except not quite as good.

140. Eric Bowser says:

@Roberto – If Phillies want to reduce payroll, they should be willing to do a one for one trade for Pence with Marte. If they want a pitcher like Taillon, Cole, or Heredia, then Pirates should laugh and move on.

Milo–bingo (but I don’t love you).

142. Reading says:

Sticks are silent again. 3-1 lead probably insurmountable. Malaise game.

143. twentytwo22 says:

Choking at home against the Cubs for the second straight year. The Cubs were 14-34 on the road. The Pirates are laying down.

I usually hate all access night. But tonight, it’s a wonderful distraction from the obvious.

145. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Looks like this game is about to fall apart…….Rizzo steals 2nd? A 1B?

146. Reading says:

Getting manhandled by the Cubs. Swept in Houston next.

147. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Milo

#139…….exactly!!

You have to move talent to get talent.

148. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Aaaannnnnnnnnnddddd

Ball game

This is getting ridiculous. The silver lining may be that the guys in charge may see that moves DO need to be made.

150. JMB says:

@AW

There’s that.

NH angered the “baseball gods” by saying the Pirates don’t “need” to make any moves.

151. Reading says:

Even Barney Rubble drills one into right.

152. pghboyinca says:

No moves are needed NH said so Sunday. “We are comfortable going forward with what we have” Pressley/Sutton, Barmes, Barajas strike fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers.

153. Eric Bowser says:

@Arriba – I’m not really that big on Victorino, he’s not producing in the little league ballpark in Philadelphia and his .316 OBP is better than Presley’s .270 but I’d rather look at ROI comparison for Victorino versus Pierre. The older Pierre has .346 OBP, which interests me more based on the lower cost in terms of trade value.

I’d prefer to leave the current bullpen as-is, so that means moving a player from the minors or maybe even offering up the competitive balance draft pick.

154. JMB says:

Couldn’t that have bounced off of Soriano’s head or something?

155. JMB says:

Ok, I’m sold; let’s trade for Soriano, if the Cubs eat most of the $.

JMB— I suspect Neal was engaged in a bit of GM speak, but I also don’t have a lot of confidence that they understand the “this may be the year” aspect. People tend to forget that the FO, despite getting this team to where it is, also has a history of stumbling when faced with something for the first time (e.g., Bay, Sano). They don’t have the experience with this, and the Marte situation, for example, is starting to look like stubbornness. I hope I’m wrong, by the way, but I think there are legitimate questions.

157. Reading says:

Disgruntled. 2.5 out a mere formality.

158. Reading says:

Exactly two hits, or is it three, in last 15 innings.

159. Eric Bowser says:

Pirates MLB.com writer Tom Singer is reporting Pirates are very close to acquiring Astros lefty Wandy Rodriguez.

If that happens, who loses their spot in the rotation?

@Reading

And how fast it can happen. Last year the Jerry Meals game was on July 26th & they were tied for 1st. By deadline day, 5 days later, they were 4.5 back. By August 14th, they were 13 out.

161. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Before everyone goes feral and jumps off the bandwagon (so to speak) please watch this first.

162. DemonDachshund says:

Yes, it’s bad to look bad against the Cubs. Looking at a possible sweep given that Dempster will be going tomorrow.

But even getting swept, the Bucs are still in playoff position.

It’s 3 games guys. And for that matter, tonight isn’t over yet.

163. The Gunner says:

The Bucs are missing a huge opportunity against the Cubs

164. Eric Bowser says:

Pirates need hitting help first, then pitching. If they acquire another pitcher, the reaction is going to be off the charts if deadline passes without a hitter coming here.

Acquire Pierre, promote Marte, then good.

165. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Wandy??

OK, I suspect that for now, Corriea is out of a starting job….

Eric–I would suspect Correia, but I also think they would then be looking to move Kevin.

167. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Demon

That’s the prospective that you need to keep up with. Its sooo easy to give up on this team, but the Yankees just got swept by the A’s…of course, the A’s are a better team these days, but still……..the Yankees lose also to inferior teams.

Tonights not over, but its a huge mountain to climb….

168. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@AW

Agree, Corriea would probably be on the block as a filler for a player…….

He was out, umpire couldn’t see it.

170. Playoffs by 2012 says:

As long as they are within 3 games of Cincy when they pull in there next week, I’m not worried.

171. JMB says:

Wandy’s $

12:$10M, 13:$13M, 14:$13M club option ($2.5M buyout)

172. Reading says:

Milo: too many parallels to last year. Substitute Reds for Brewers. Our losses coinciding with their wins leads to compound loss of ground in the standings. Same thing happening as Reds refuse to lose. We’ve maintained for about a week but now …

173. The Gunner says:

Wandy would be great in a Buc uni

174. Reading says:

Another parallel: our GM refusing to make a move until too late!

175. LuckyNKentucky says:

I’m with whoever said don’t mess with the pen. Even if it means keeping Resop. Hughes only needed 14 pitches and worked around an error. We need sticks. I’m with Eric–who goes to the pen if we get Wandy? Bedard and Correia have pitched better than JMac lately.

176. DemonDachshund says:

@JMB -

Wandy’s club option becomes a player option if he’s traded.

Also, I’ve read that Houston may be willing to help cover a lot of that money, if they get better prospects in return.

177. JMB says:

@DD

Thanks DD. I missed that.

178. Eric Bowser says:

Looks like Twitter is ramping up reports on Rodriguez trade to Pirates

179. TDB1977 says:

32,497 at the game tonight.

180. Eric Bowser says:

Alen Hanson, SS prospect, is thought to be possibly part of deal. Team finally has a SS prospect worthy of watching and he could be dealt.

181. JMB says:

I sure hope Hanson isnt part of this deal.

Wandy making $13m @ 35 in 2014 is not too great either.

If Hanson is in this deal, Houston better be paying a ton of Wandy’s contract.

182. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

yea, there’s no way Houston doesn’t pay any of that money. Gives us another guy for semi-long term in the rotation.

1 or 2 games is NOT too late in the process. Odds are this game is over, but just because they lose 2/3 or get swept by the Cubs, doesn’t mean a. they are down the same road as before, 2. NH makes moves too late, and 3. they are out of the playoff race.

Has the Paterno family issued a statement on the possible acquisition of Wandy Rodriguez ?

184. TDB1977 says:

Saw that Hanson exited game tonight for not running ball out in the 1st inning.

185. Eric Bowser says:

Nothing like an 8th inning comeback with Gorkys Hernandez to pinch-hit.

186. DemonDachshund says:

Hanson was removed in the bottom of the first tonight, which is why the speculation is that he’s a part of the deal.

187. twentytwo22 says:

Hernandez PH over Mercer?

188. DemonDachshund says:

Pinch hitting Gorkys.

Seriously, does Mercer just wander away from the dugout at times or something?

189. Playoffs by 2012 says:

FREE GORKYS!!!!

190. Eric Bowser says:

DREW SUTTON has lost the mojo.

191. JMB says:

JonHeymanCBS
    there is $ changing hands in wandy deal. he has $30M to go thru ’13, so #astos will send dollars to #pirates. done deal.

192. Eric Bowser says:

Heyman reporting on Twitter that the Pirates acquired Rodriguez + Cash, no info as to who the Astros are getting.

193. TDB1977 says:

According to John Hayman – deal is done. Money is coming to Pittsburgh with Wandy. I don’t know who is going the other direction.

194. cosmo says:

@Milo

They are consulting with Franco before releasing any statement.

195. Playoffs by 2012 says:

My sources tell me it is Wandy Rodriguez for Josh Bell.

196. twentytwo22 says:

Moribund offense and we’re playing games with a guy who can help. I’ll say this, Upton would make up for these two losses. Pence, Soriano too. Still, Marte would have helped win this series.

197. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

All assumptions…….tip your hat the Cubs pitching staff. Not all loses are because the Pirates suck or don’t have the right players.

198. RobertoForever says:

@Ryan

Agreed. 2 of 3 losses to the Cubs does not equal a season collapse.

If Walker and McCutchen are going to contribute 0′fers, whether the FO adds Pence and/or Marte, this team will have a hard time overcoming a deficit of 4 runs given up by the starting pitching. They may have helped last night, but even that may not have been enough.

199. Eric Bowser says:

Leadoff hitter, #5 hitter, and then a starter… that is how I rank the Pirates needs at the moment. I’m going to remain hopeful that if the Pirates are willing to spend the money to acquire Rodriguez, they’ll do something about the offense.

200. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Acquiring Wandy was a pretty big step for this FO. They have his rights for multiple years and a huge expense.

They will get the OFer needed to do the job……relax people

Was listening to the Cubs broadcast on radio in car while running errands tonight. Pat Hughes and Keith Moreland had a discussion about the Pirates trading. Gist of it was whether it was more desirable to trade people off your ML roster who have contributed to your winning ways and chemistry or trade prospects who have not contributed to the big club’s season. Moreland came down on the side of not trading players off the big league 25 man roster.

I agree. I have always viewed your minor league system as having 2 functions. One of course is to develop talent for the big league club. The other is for use is acquiring existing ML talent. I never try to get too attached to any prospect as I think sometimes Carpe Diem is the rule of the day and they ought to be used to win here and now. Not talking about rentals necessarily.

202. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

My guess is, Houston covers the difference between Bedard/Corriea from next years payroll…

203. Eric Bowser says:

I’m guessing but I’m thinking the Pirates are probably dealing one of Locke, Owens, or Wilson as part of this deal for Rodriguez. Really hoping Hanson isn’t part of this deal.

204. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@John

agree with your statement on the farm system……..

205. RalphM says:

Says it’s a done deal but doesn’t know other players involved or money involved

206. twentytwo22 says:

Good scenario.. Pirates trade for Rodriguez, Pirates win tomorrow, Pirates add a hitter, and start this road trip fortified with spirits high. Thursday is the game in hand on Cincinnati.

207. Reading says:

Astros actually winning 2-0. Maybe we get a free loss.

The trade triggers the 2014 option. Astros are sending money along. Per Heyman.

209. Eric Bowser says:

The Hunter Pence to Pirates rumors are going to start to go into overdrive very soon.

210. DemonDachshund says:

Wandy makes the rotation 4 deep next year too. Hopefully, that frees up someone at AAA (Owens, Locke, and/or Wilson) to deal for a hitter.

211. Reading says:

Saved the Fort for Marmol maybe.

212. cosmo says:

Do the Pirates include Bedard or Correa in a package for a bat??

213. RobertoForever says:

@Ryan

At least the Pirates dodge a bullet against the Astros this weekend if we get Wandy, because he pitched yesterday, and his turn would be Saturday against us.

214. DemonDachshund says:

@Eric -

Unless Houston is taking almost all of Wandy’s contract, I think this pretty much kills any other hitter with high long term salary needs being added.

Hope I’m wrong, but just can’t see the Bucs committing to much more future money.

Maybe Lincoln goes to Houston & that’s why they couldn’t offer him for Victorino ? It’s home for him.

216. RalphM says:

Jon Morosi is reporting Grossman headed to Houston

217. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Wandy Rodriguez? Not bad. Now where’s the hitters?

218. JMB says:

Grossman wont be in my Pence deal –he’s going to stros

219. JMB says:

jonmorosi
    Source: Robbie Grossman headed to #Astros in #Pirates deal for Wandy Rodriguez.

220. Reading says:

Pedro granny?

221. Eric Bowser says:

There was a rumor a week ago, Correia to Anaheim for outfielder Kole Calhoun.

222. Reading says:

Then again

223. LuckyNKentucky says:

Hope you’re right, Eric and they’re more than rumors.

224. DemonDachshund says:

Altoona did just PH for Grossman.

225. LuckyNKentucky says:

Grossman was pulled from the Altoona game, so probably accurate on that. He’s well blocked in the Burgh.

226. twentytwo22 says:

F McGehee he’s worthless. Get a bat in here so he’s on the bench. All I asked of him was not to hit into a DP. I wanted Alvarez then McKenry. Couldn’t even do that.

They waited until the 9th to start taking pitches. 17 innings of bush league offense.

227. Eric Bowser says:

Grossman and Hanson for Rodriguez + cash seems to be the latest

228. JMB says:

Infielder Alen Hanson included in #Pirates – #Astros trade, source tells http://FOXSports.com.

Hanson & Grossman?!

229. pattonbb says:

So Rodriguez AND money for Robbie Grossman?

What’s not to like about that? Doubt Correia is happy though.

230. Pig Legs Robinson says:

f they are crazy enough to get Wandy, who knows what else they’ll do? I now would not be surprised if they do acquire Hunter Pence.

But the ‘getting a hitter’ thing was for times like right now, when nobody on the team can hit a lick. By the time they get a hitter, they’ll be so deep in daily shutout-land that 1 or 2 hitters won’t be able to save them. I mean these past 2 games were predictable from a mile away. These 2 losses could have been prevented if the hitting had arrived, even calling up Marte would have sparked something.

231. cosmo says:

Knobler saying Pirates are going for it. Still looking to aquire a bat. OF or 1b

232. pattonbb says:

Grossman and Hansen? Eh…. I still say ok.

233. TDB1977 says:

From tweet from Pirates – The @Pirates have acquired LHP Wandy Rodriguez & cash from the #Astros for Rudy Owens, Colton Cain & Robbie Grossman.

234. JMB says:

At this point, I’m hating this trade. Hanson & Grossman are two KLaw top 100 prospects.

I hope the Astros are paying all $30MM.

235. Eric Bowser says:

236. Pig Legs Robinson says:

If they really did give up Hanson, I sure hope they plan on keeping Wandy and not just use him for a one year rental

237. Playoffs by 2012 says:

At least the games are ending earlier now…….Anyways, the UNDER wins again. Thanks to all who played. See you tomorrow, bright and early. Line will be up on this thread by 8 AM. Just need one kind person to post it to the Wednesday game thread.

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    bman ** -415
    Kevin S ** -500
    bob hasis ** -575
    Boise Bucco ** -600
    TDB1977 ** -1040

238. JMB says:

Ok, at least Hanson isn’t in the deal. But this still seems like an overpay to me.

I would have been happy w. Liriano or Maholm.

239. cosmo says:

Hanson not included in deal

Wow, the Astros will enter the AL with a “who’s that?” roster.

241. Kevin says:

Jones for Pence??? Tell me I am wrong…

242. Eric Bowser says:

The question now is, how much money is Houston sending back in the deal. Pirates need some help offensively, so I hope the Astros are paying his remainder for 2012.

243. Playoffs by 2012 says:

2222,

You are the OFFICIAL WET BLANKET of this blog. Congratulations!!

244. DemonDachshund says:

Can’t complain about getting a pretty solid starter without giving up any of the top prospects. Just hope this doesn’t lock up too much money and prevent them from getting the hitter they need.

245. Curt says:

I think this is a good deal. Wandy has some years of control correct?
    I’m sure someone on here can answer that.

Now let’s get a bat!

246. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Yeah, Odell Jones for Pence.

247. JMB says:

keithlaw
    Love it for Houston. “@Steelmatic24: @keithlaw pirates trade Grossman, Owens, Cain for 33 year old Wandy Rodriguez? What a terrible deal.”

Milo–I’ve heard that the Paterno family has made a statement on the Wandy deal, but they made it before the deal was announced, so it was missed by the media. Reportedly, they said that Joe had nothing to do with the trade, but he wishes he had more actively pushed the FO to do the right thing. As a footnote, they asked if there was room to put another statue at PNC.

249. RobertoForever says:

Rumors are that the Reds are getting Victorino

250. Curt says:

Does Wandy have years of control?

Juan D. Rodriguez.

252. DemonDachshund says:

@Curt -

Wandy is under contract for $13M next year, and the trade switched the $13M team option to a player option for 2014.

So 1.5 team years of control, plus the odds of a 35 year old NOT taking $13M from the Bucs in 2014 seems unlikely.

253. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Grossman is from Texas, so the Houston fans should love the deal.

254. Curt says:

@DD
    Well that’s good. We can essentially have him for more than the stretch run.

He’s a solid starter. Can’t complain!

255. cosmo says:

@ Curt

yes 13 mil in 2013 and now a player option @ 14,5 mil in 2014

256. T.S. says:

Why get Wandy when you could of just brought up Owens. Stupid trade.

257. JMB says:

Still waiting to hear about the $. This $30mm should be in AJ/Yanks split territory.

I thought Grossman was a nice piece for a larger deal for a hitter.

258. T.S. says:

Trade was all about the money. To help them “afford” to trade for a higher-echelon hitter.

259. DemonDachshund says:

Wonder if Rudy will start against us this weekend.

260. T.S. says:

@Demon

Now that would be messed up. :)

261. LuckyNKentucky says:

I have to agree with Keith Law on this one. Terrible. (Now that I say that, Wandy will be great for us, so that’s OK with me).

262. DemonDachshund says:

@TS -

How does taking on a good chunk of salary help them afford to trade for a hitter?

263. T.S. says:

@Demon

Because they’re cheap.

264. T.S. says:

@Demon

…regardless of what gobbledygook Neal spouts about how Mr. Nutting has given them the moon, the stars, and 10s of millions to spend as they like.

265. RobertoForever says:

Pirates averaged 30,000 fans in the Monday-Tuesday games.

Last year at this time, when they were in first place, they averaged 24,000 per game for a Monday-Tuesday set of games against the Reds.

266. DemonDachshund says:

@TS -

Wouldn’t that mean that they would now NOT be able to afford a hitter? Because they just sunk a bunch of money into a pitcher?

267. T.S. says:

@Demon.

They’re not taking on much salary, Houston is sending them money!

268. T.S. says:

Whatever, it’s a bad trade.

269. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Wandy does have a .130 lifetime batting average, although he hasn’t yet gotten a hit this year. Maybe he IS the hitter.

270. RobertoForever says:

Guaranteed win tomorrow, folks, based on this tweet

It’s True! I will be throwing out the first pitch at the #Pirates game Tomorrow! #ZOLTAN

Hal Sparks, the actor who played Zoltan on “Dude, Where’s My Car?”

271. T.S. says:

@Pig Legs Robinson

Winner winner chicken dinner! Best line on today’s blog.

272. Kevin says:

Has anyone heard anything about Pence? Had a friend tell me the deal was in the works, but I don’t trust him (“friend” is a term used loosely for me).

How dare they give up Owens, Cain and Grossman for an established pitcher! What are they trying to do? Win this year?

Sounds like a lot of “prospect love” going on around here. I look at this like the Zane Smith trade, with no Moises Alou’s involved.

275. DemonDachshund says:

@TS -

They’re getting money back from Houston to help cover the $30M owed to Wandy over the next 3 years.

I sincerely doubt that this lowers the Pirate payroll in any way, shape, or form.

The reason it concerns me is that I see the Bucs now being unable to afford anything beyond a rental for a hitter, which was, in my mind, a far more pressing need than a better #3 or #4 starter.

276. JMB says:

Rob Biertempfel
    Here is breakdown of money #Pirates will owe to LHP Wandy Rodriguez: They’ll pay $1.7M this year (of $10 he’s making), $8.5M in 2013 (of $13M). If player option is exercised, Pirates will pay Rodriguez $7.5M in 2014 (of $13M).

Ok, I like this deal now.

277. TDB1977 says:

Per Rob Biertempfel

278. JMB says:

18/30 — 60% paid by Pirates. I would have liked it better if it was 18/30 to the Astros, esp. if it feed up $ for Pence.

Milo—my thoughts exactly.

280. JMB says:

I would say less about prospect love than Wandy uncertainty.

I’d have happily trade any of the guys traded tonight for Upton or Pence. I just don’t know about Wandy at 35 in 2014, but at least Houston will pay close to half in 2014. Heck, Wandy may opt out if he isn’t happy anyway, but I’d be shocked since no one else will be giving him $13M in 2014.

281. DemonDachshund says:

Those are very reasonable salaries for a pitcher of his ability, even given his age… And we all know how the Pirates have been unable to sign free agents of that type to similar contracts.

The prospects don’t concern me much. You have to trade SOMETHING, and none of those names bother me.

As I’ve said, I just hope this doesn’t handcuff the team (or is used as an excuse to avoid paying out) in getting a better bat or two.

282. RobertoForever says:

So Keith Law LOVES the deal for Houston?

Isn’t this the same guy that said NH overvalues his prospects?

Considering that NH gave up NONE of Marte, Cole, Taillon, Heredia, Bell, Hanson or Polanco, seems like its fine.

283. T.S. says:

@Demon

I’m not saying it lowers payroll. I’m saying it will probably be reallocated to a trade for a bat, so they don’t have to spend anymore (of Nutting’s money) than the 18 over 3 years now on the payroll with Wandy.

284. TDB1977 says:

How old is AJ right now? Isn’t he 35? And look what he is doing for us.

285. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Yeah, it definitely is Zane Smith-ish. I thought that too, and I concur, none of the traded are Moises Alou-ish. Nice salary arrangement too. I’m more pleased that Wandy isn’t a rental. But I am expecting at the very least now, either Hunter Pence, Alfonso Soriano, or Shane Victorino. (wish they’d gotten Soriano before this series!)

286. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Or Hanley Ramirez, though his shortstop days may be gone.

287. JMB says:

TDB

Good point.

I’m liking this trade more and more by the minute. HAHA.

288. The Gunner says:

Wandy is a real pro and the ol’ Gunner is excited to have him with the big bad Buccos. My good friend the Possum tells me a deal for a hitter will be announced shortly.

289. LuckyNKentucky says:

I’d like to hear what Kevin’s friend is hearing on Pence.

290. TDB1977 says:

We’re getting a proven pitcher in this deal. Since ’09, Wandy has the third most strike outs (626) and wins (43) for the left handed pitchers behind ONLY Clayshaw and Hamels.

291. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Starlin Castro would not be a bad pick-up either, if it were possible to do without giving up Marte. His errors are a bit high, but his bat just about makes up for it. He’ll get better too, I think.

292. JMB says:

Ken Laird ‏@Ken_Laird
    Hanrahan: “Our starters have been pitching pretty well, so it’s tough on that end that somebody’s going to get bumped, but a good addition”

Ken Laird ‏@Ken_Laird
    Spoke to Walker, Hanrahan, Grilli, Harrison, McKenry after the trade… all unique take on trade, but general vibe shock, cautious responses

293. The Gunner says:

I am OK with Pence coming on board, the sooner the better

294. LuckyNKentucky says:

Good man, Gunner, good man.

295. T.S. says:

Pence, Cutch and Marte. A man can dream can’t he?

“Wandy Rodriguez is a quality starting pitcher and we are pleased to add him to our club,” said Pirates GM Neal Huntington. “Wandy has quietly ranked among the upper echelon of Major League starting pitchers the last three seasons in ERA, innings pitched and strikeouts among other categories. We believe he will be a solid addition to our rotation for the remainder of this season and beyond.”

I don’t follow MLB Trade Rumors or any sites of that ilk-was this trade on anyone’s radar?

298. TDB1977 says:

I first saw it on twitter from Tom Singer about 90 minutes before the trade went down. Then I saw it show up on MLBTradeRumors.com. And the next thing I knew, the trade was complete.

299. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Nothing wrong with this trade. They received a known comodity in Wandy.

Alot of people talked about Rudy Owens, who knows what he’ll turn into, but Wandy’s on the books for the at least a year and a half.

300. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Wandy’s strikeouts to walks are always good. Strikeouts usually close to 200, and typically three times as many K’s as walks. Tha’s the first thing I always look at when juding a pitcher, and then hits to innings, which for wandy is decent, usually a little less than a hit per inning. The constant sub-4.00 era is also a big selling point.

301. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I don’t get the objections to this trade.

Pirates get a solid major league pitcher who now gives our rotation 4 solid starters.

All they traded was an outfielder who was hitting .260 in AA, a AAA pitcher who projected to be a 3-4 starter and a High A pitcher with an ERA over 4.

If the shoe was on the other foot, there would be nothing but hate for this trade.

302. T.S. says:

Tom Singer and Jon Morosi

Thanks TDB

304. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Jon Morosi also says that Pirates are still looking for a bat……..this ain’t over folks

Just thinking, with Cruz on the DL there is room for Correia in the pen for the time being. I hesitate to think too far ahead because more moves are coming.

At first blush-a great trade. Wandy has always been one of the more under appreciated pitchers in the league.

307. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Interesting to see if Dempster pitches tomorrow or not………no trade confirmed yet

308. JMB says:

@JohninOshkosh

There were rumors yesterday that the Pirates liked Wandy, Liriano, and Maholm as options.

309. JMB says:

oh yeah, and Blanton.

I hope they didn’t pay Morosi extra for that breaking scoop.

311. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Of the 4, I do like Wandy the best……..

312. Stennettorian says:

Being in Philly, I’ve gotten to see a lot of Pence this year, and while his bat is fine (not as good as last year), his defense has been terrible. I’ve watched him drop balls hit right at him. Maybe he’s not used to being “the guy” with Howard and Utley out, but at times he’s looked as lost as Tabata. So, he’s less of a sure thing than he was a year ago.

313. T.S. says:

Rob Biertempfel
    ‏@BiertempfelTrib

Heard #Pirates bid for Victorino got hung up when #Phillies asked for Lincoln. Bucs offered Hughes. Minor leaguer also included.

314. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I wouldn’t have minded getting Francisco Liriano, but I’m content with Wandy. Now Blanton, that’s a joke, right?

315. LuckyNKentucky says:

So what do we give for Pence? Don’t tell me he’s Garret Jones, Roberto. Pence has 20 plus HR’s 4 years in a row, ave. around .300 every year, plays the field well, has 17, 57 this season already. I like Garrett and think he should play every day–at first.

316. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Pence……..too costly

317. TDB1977 says:

Wondering if anyone can help me out. I’m going to be up in the Lock Haven, PA area this weekend – does anyone know where I can pick up the Bucs broadcast on TV and/or Radio so I can watch or listen to them? Thanks in advance.

318. Reading says:

Figures. Reds’ Stubbs two-run blast in top of 9th gives Reds 3-2 lead.

319. JMB says:

@Playoffs

Maybe not objections but reservations.

KLaw “loves” the trade for Houston.

Bowden — Astros GM Jeff Luhnow has done a tremendous job in his trades for Lee, Happ, Myers and now Rodriguez. Excellent return for what he gave up

Eric Karabell ‏@karabellespn
    Nice to see Pirates buying, in theory, but I think they’ll regret this Wandy trade.

320. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Francisco Cordero just put the Bucs behind Cincy by 2.5
    He is easily the WORST closer in MLB right now.

321. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Victorino would be a rental all the way so can see why they’d be cautious about Lincoln. Brad does bode well for the future, too.

322. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@JMB

These are the same guys that 2 weeks ago said the Pirates were over-rating their prospects. I’m not going to lose any sleep over trading 3 guys who have never played an inning in the MLB. People get way too attached to prospects these days. For all we and anyone else knows the 3 they gave up could be nothing more than mirror images of Zach Duke, Chris Duffy and Josh Sharpless.

323. LuckyNKentucky says:

Stennettorian,

Not good news. Guess I’ll shut up about Pence. Sick of hearing myself talk about him. We still need a hitter or 3.

324. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Now Pence for Lincoln, I’d have to lean toward getting Pence, but I don’t think Pence would be much more than a rental either.

@Lucky

Wonder if Pence is having a Philly issue ? I checked out his splits & he’s hitting much better on the road which you wouldn’t figure considering that bandbox they play in. He’s hitting .268 but .293 away from Philly.

326. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Xavier Paul puts Cincy up by 2 now. I think we have our nemesis for next week.

327. Boise Bucco says:

Man, what’s up Bucs, 5-1!? Ugh…never glad that I missed a game but…still

Where are the June bats!?

328. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Keith Law if I’m correct had both Matt LaPorta and Brandon Wood as “can’t miss” prospects. Wonder how much he LOVES those assessments now.

329. Naje says:

@JMB…

You’re quoting a fantasy guy Karabell…? really? Dude don’t know jack you-know-what about the game. He’s a fantasy analyst… (laughing hysterically here)

330. LuckyNKentucky says:

Milo,

Seemed like he always burned us, in Pgh., Houston or Philly. I just saw pretty much a 5-tool with him, but, of course I don’t see him every day–or any day down here for that matter.

331. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

In the long run, Pirates got Wandy on the “cheap”

A bat will come around. Who knows who though…………

332. LuckyNKentucky says:

Good one, Playoffs.

333. Boise Bucco says:

Welp, good luck to Rudy Owens. Seems like we’ve been following his progress in the Asylum for what seems like about 50 years now…hope he enjoys success in Houston. He should get a chance to start here pretty soon in the majors, so hopefully he gets a win first time out!

334. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

BB

Unless its against the Buccos……..which might be when his first start comes

335. Boise Bucco says:

I’d feel bad wishing him growing pains in his first start, no matter what…I’ve been rooting for him for years, it feels like. How long ago was it, he was in A+? When he won Minor League Pitcher of the Year?

336. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

No idea…………I’m already over it.

337. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Let’s open the window!!

Today’s OVER / UNDER (always for fun of course)

Total Hits for Pedro Alvarez in Today’s Game
    Line is 1.5

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY SINGLE LINE ***

61 Current Fair Weather Participants!!
    If you haven’t played yet, what are you waiting for??!!??
    Anyone can play!! Everyone should TRY!!
    What’ll ya have!! What’ll ya have!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS