Wakeup Call: Hey, mate, LOOK LEFT!

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

LONDON — Brief and to the Point …

>> The Monday column wonders if Michael Phelps and Jordyn Wieber falter, who might step up in their stead for the United States?

>> Aussie fan came into the Pittsburgh bureau for Olympics coverage, based conveniently near the Tower Bridge, and brought along her marsupial pal. This was last night, and it’s real.

>> The signs are everywhere on the streets here warning pedestrians: LOOK RIGHT.

That’s for us silly foreigners who repeatedly forget that the British drive on the wrong – sorry, the left – side of the rode, with steering wheels on the right side of the car. Still, you see countless people looking left, then right, just as we have all our lives.

What the British fail to take into account is how badly the stray Pittsburgher has it, given that we not only look left but we’re also born and bred jaywalkers.

>> If you’re looking at recent comparables in wondering why the Pirates chose Kevin Correia for the pen, don’t bother. They’ve been talking about him all summer like a ticking time bomb. Must be one of those underlying, peripheral things.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t see Correia as the solution. I’m just not so sure he’s as much of a problem as management has seen for a while now.

>> For Correia to demand a trade in the middle of a pennant race stinks on ice. Buyer beware.

>> The Steelers are going to win this power play with Mike Wallace. We’ve known that even before all their apparent grandstanding in Latrobe. They always win.

But they’d do well not to toss Wallace overboard in the process. I’m not talking about a trade. I’m talking about having him in camp or on the team disenchanted. Wag your finger all you like, but a happy athlete is a productive athlete. An athlete who feels like he’s part of something is going to be more invested.

If you believe that all the hymns Mike Tomlin was singing about Antonio Brown don’t happen without Wallace taking most of the double-coverage, you need to rewind the video and take another look.

>> The Olympic overlords at NBC informed me rather rudely — while interviewing Swin Cash after her basketball game this weekend — that I can’t shoot video because only the rights-holder can do that in the media zone.

I’ll have all kinds of video up here for you throughout the week. Didn’t take much thought to ask the athlete to answer a few questions out of that zone.

>> I’d keep typing, but I hear NBC’s about to preview Jesse Owens’ big race tonight.

>> I’ll make my weekly appearance on the online TribLIVE Radio today at noon, logistics willing.

Comments

By no means am I the President of the Kevin Correia Fan Club. But I can understand why he would ask for a trade. As NH pointed out in his show today (and RB wrote about), Correia is going to be a free agent and he is going to make the most money as a starter.

I’m not thrilled at this, but I do also understand that he has won 6 in a row…and can see that Bedard is still in the rotation. Plus I see a little bit of a difference when a guy “asks to be traded” and “demands to be traded” RB wrote that he ‘asked’. I may be wrong, but he doesn’t strike me as a guy who will cause trouble in the clubhouse.

But I have also seen most of Correia’s starts, and I don’t need the Pirates management or coaching staff to tell me he was a ticking time bomb. I could see that for myself.

2. The Dude says:

This has to be the best quote I’ve read in a long time:
    “I’d keep typing, but I hear NBC’s about to preview Jesse Owens’ big race tonight”

Just epic (and true)!

3. RobertoForever says:

I’ll bet that Aussie fan was facebooking to folks back home about this strange American reporter called Lisa.

4. Dan1283 says:

I liked the column because it justly puts the swimmers under the microscope. It’s like the other guys just want it more this year, and in the case of Phelps that’s an admitted definite.

But I wouldn’t quite say that Jordyn Wieber “basically fell apart” on the floor routine. I’m watching it right now (THANKS NBC) and she took one step out of bounds. I was picturing something like what Douglas did. I know how surprising it is that she didn’t qualify, but I just think the verbage was a little strong. I literally thought I was going to see her just do the equivalent of throwing a game-ending pick six.

Keep it coming though, all of it.

5. JoeBucco says:

Pretty sure Correia has to go now. Can’t really keep a guy in the clubhouse who could potentially become a cancer and bring down the whole ship. I agree that it stinks on ice that the guy would want out of something this special going on, but I’ve always felt like he’s a California dude biding time in the Burgh. His contributions have been appreciated, not bad at all… but if he wants to go, I think you have to take the best offer you get for him.

6. JoeBucco says:

And I don’t know why, but I have a weird feeling that Hunter Pence ends up in black and gold before Wednesday. No idea why, but I had a simila feeling about Wandy, so I figured I’d go on record with it.

Flying into Miwaukee for work tomorrow, and cutting out early to drive to Wrigley to watch the pitcher’s duel in waiting. Cubs have been playing well, so this is a big series heading into Cincinnati.

Last year at this time, right after the Meals call, the Brewers reeled off 10 straight W’s while the Buccos lost 10 in a row I believe. It’s a little nice to know that we’ve withstood the Reds’ own 10 game hot streak of playing against a bunch of AA teams, so it is a bit different already this year. But this is really a big series. Hopefully Dempster is a Dodger before his turn in the rotation, and with no Garza, we need some wins.

7. bobhasis says:

So whatever happened to the “cumbaya attitude” everyone in the clubhouse was talking about. You know “it’s for the team” thing, “we’re all together” thing. I guess that only applies when you get your own way.

It’s not as though he is being sent down, and if a team is truly interested when he goes FA, they will have examined his entire body of work, not merely the fact he was squeezed out in a numbers situation.

If it’s “for the team”, go to the pen and pitch and be quiet.

Or is all of that cumbaya just malarkey for the reporters?

8. Eric Bowser says:

I think the Olympics are great, especially the athletes who pour everything into for the chance to win gold but many will come up short and without a penny to show for it. That’s sports in its purest.

What we’re seeing, or should I say, not seeing, is live action.

This isn’t 1980 for ABC’s three hour tape delay of the greatest American athletic event ever (Miracle on Ice) because this is 2012, the age of the internet and social media.

Because NBC doesn’t get it, they haven’t received much from me in terms of watching the events. I’m seeing the news on twitter, yahoo, espn, etc…. I’m not invested to spend hours watching something I already know the result.

And a big LOL to any current or former NBC employees tweeting about how NBC is getting great ratings… yeah, nice way to try to change the subject but the discussion won’t turn, people want their sports via microwave just like everything else. Why else would Twitter and Facebook be the exploding social media center for anything.

…..

I’m going to make this simple… go get Shin-soo Choo from the Indians, offer the competitive balance draft pick (33-40 range) and Jose Tabata. If they want more, if it makes sense then deal Brad Lincoln. The Pirates need to get a legitimate leadoff hitter and right fielder, there’s no doubt that Starling Marte is more of a number five guy between Garrett Jones and Pedro Alvarez. Speaking of Jones, he’s not the best first baseman but man, sometimes his defense is just brutal in right field.

A lineup of Choo, Walker, McCutchen, Jones, Marte, Alvarez, catcher, and Barmes is a whole lot better offensively and defensively.

Finally on the Pirates, Kevin Correia wants out… ok, see ya.

……

Steelers training camp….. I’ve never been more disinterested…. THANK YOU Pirates!

…..

Penn State football…. players, former players, coaches, officials, fans… take the penalties and move on, if you don’t… this will only stay on the minds of others and the longer that happens, the more disgusted people get. PR 101.

…..

Bobby Ryan is on his way out of Anaheim, Penguins need a winger who can fire a laser from the LW circle as a RH shooter. Shero needs to pull some magic to get a third team involved since team lacks second line center the Ducks covet. Colorado could be that team….time will tell if we’re seeing Ryan or worse Tangradi, Jeffrey, Bennett, or Kennedy.

…..

Less than 48 hours…. Pirates make it happen.

9. Cajun Thunder says:

I fully understand that Kevin Correia wants to be a starter, and will lose money in the bullpen. Asking the GM for a trade isn’t unreasonable. However, Correia telling the media that he has “asked for a trade” is very counterproductive, as it lowers any value he might have in a trade, aside from the poor appearance he had today. I guess starting is more important to him than the potential for pitching in the post season. That’s certainly a non-zero possibility.

If he’s that unhappy, though, I’d make sure that we take care of his “problem”. He might not like where he ends up though. Colorado or Kansas City, anyone?

10. Eric Bowser says:

Re: Correia

If he wants to start, I don’t blame him for that or his reasons for telling the media about requesting a trade. It was a very public and obvious change for him to move from the rotation to the bullpen.

Now, let’s hope he doesn’t talk about it again and goes about his business in a professional manner until something is finalized. I’m thinking with Anaheim’s move to get Zack Greinke, it took away one of his options.

Maybe if the Dodgers miss out on Chicago’s Ryan Dempster, they’ll go dumpster diving instead and deal for Correia.

11. aglebagel says:

Olympic stuff:

>>I agree with Dan1283 that the characterization that Wieber “fell apart” on the floor doesn’t seem to fit. It was basically that one step out, and everything else looked pretty good to me.

>>I agree with Bela Karolyi that it’s a dumb rule to allow a max of two per country into the all-arounds, but did anyone else pick up on the equally dumb analogy made by Costas? I like Costas, but using the NCAA basketball tournament as an example of how weird the new gymnastics rule is was a mistake. If you didn’t hear it, Bob said (paraphrasing), “Can you imagine if the third-best team in the ACC or the fourth-best team in the Big Ten couldn’t make it into the tournament because of a cap on teams from each conference?” Well, Bob, that’s essentially what happens because of automatic bids. They come at it from different angles, but both the Olympic Gymnastics All-around Competition and the NCAA Tournament sacrifice the best possible field in favor of a more evenly distributed one, in which there’s a wider array of participation.

>>Dejan, I’m hoping that some of the guys from our Men’s Gymnastics team can help fill that U.S. star void tomorrow night. Despite the rock-star status bestowed upon the women, I’ve always found the men’s side to be more entertaining, and the two stars of this year’s team both have interesting backgrounds. I’ll especially be cheering for John Orozco, who’s from just across the Harlem River from me.

>>@Eric Bowser- I would also love to see more events live, but to say that NBC is “changing the subject” by referring to great ratings? I’m sorry, but to them, ratings ARE the subject. If they thought more people wanted them live during the day, that’s when they would broadcast it.

On that topic, NBC just announced that this season’s Sunday Night Football games will be previously recorded 1pm games.

DK: To you and Dan both, the “fell apart” was really more about the overall performance getting gradually worse, but I can see where you could have taken it to mean specifically to the floor.

12. Eric Bowser says:

Giant reportedly have deal in place to acquire Phillies outfielder Hunter Pence pending ownership approval. Curious to see if this deal goes down and what San Francisco has to give up for Pence since he and Shin-Soo Choo are free agents after 2013.

13. scapper says:

Great column, as always, but am I the only one doesn’t root exclusively for the Americans in the Olympics or care how many medals the U.S wins? I don’t root against them, but I never care who wins the events. I find the competitions stirring regardless, and no matter who’s on the top step of the medal stand hearing their anthem played, it’s always a beautiful scene.

I know NBC has to concoct drama and create their success/failure story lines, because $2 billion is a lot of money, and constructing a story for people to root around is what keeps most viewers tuned in and advertisers happy. I get it. But every single athlete from every country has a wonderful story, and it irritates me how so much of the media try to manipulate our reactions to the events by telling us who to get emotionally invested in.

Saturday night they focused briefly on an American gymnast’s family and spent a few seconds detailing the kid’s journey to the Olympics. Okay, very nice. Then the announcer, in an attempt to invest us in this one athlete’s story, talked about how he and the family had devoted so much of their lives to this very competition, and that this moment was just so huge for all of them. Well….that’s also the case with the other 10,000 athletes there. If he loses, someone else just as inspiring and deserving wins.

Again, I get it that the media has to find a story, and using the American athlete angle is what hooks most Americans, but a good story can be found in any athlete and any competition. If the U.S. women’s soccer team loses, who cares. Tell us a good story about the winners. Same with the volleyball favorites. Same with men’s basketball and women’s gymnastics and Phelps and Lochte. Every winner is a great story waiting to be told regardless of nationality.

So, to a writer as skilled as DK, I use the last line of The Naked City to offer a suggestion: “There are 10,000 stories in the [rainy] city…”

Oh, and DK, love all the tweets and sulia stuff and photos. Great stuff.

DK: Thanks!

14. twentytwo22 says:

If the Pirates manage a 3-3 record in the last 6 games of this trip they would have survived this stretch of road games. It’s amazing how these situations come up and you don’t even notice them while going through them. They will have played 16 of 22 games on the road post-ASG. A 3-3 mark would make them 4-2 at home and 9-7 on the road for a total of 13-9. Not bad at all. Anything better than 3-3 at Chicago and Cincinnati would be gravy. I’m hoping for 4-2 to raise their road record to .500. After Sunday, they will only have 23 road games left to play. Let’s go Bucs.

15. twentytwo22 says:

What’s been going on is while the Pirates are playing 16/22 on the road the Reds are playing 17/23 at home. They have taken advantage of the schedule so far. The Pirates have to hang tough because the schedule will turn in their favor and when it does they have to be in range to make another charge to first. So far so good.

16. twentytwo22 says:

From August 6 through September 9 the Pirates play 23/32 at home (Road – 3 at STL, SD, MIL)

Reds play 16 home, 17 road. They also play that stretch of 34 games in 34 days with weird travel.

17. Curt says:

@JB: hope you are right about Hunter Pence

Maybe we can add K.C. in a trade that we obtain a bat.

Don’t want to be disappointed at the deadline, but am remaining optimistic!

JAL’s Through the Wire Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

PIRATE BLOGS

4—Pirates Prospects

Pirates Notebook: McDonald Continues Second Half Struggles; Correia Requests Trade

West Virginia Player Notes: Kingham, Hanson, Osuna, Polanco, Garcia, Montero

Shaky Control by Justin Wilson Leads to Indians Loss

Prospect Watch: Matt Curry Homers, Justin Wilson Struggles With Control

Santos Delivers Knock Out Blow In Walk Off Win Over Fisher Cats

First Pitch: Remember When Marte Was the Answer?

5 Bucs Dugout

James McDonald Comes Apart In Alarming 9-5 Pirates Loss

6 Rumbunter

Pittsburgh Pirates GM Talks Trade Deadline, Wandy, KC, Brad Lincoln and Jose Tabata

7 McEffect

Pirates-Cubs Game Preview

12 Baseball Nation

On Pittsburgh And The Pirates’ Resurgence

13 Chicago Tribune

Series preview: Pirates at Cubs

14 Fox Sports

Astros end their misery with win

15 News Herald

Jim Ingraham’s baseball notes: Pirates could be showcasing Starling Marte for Indians

16 DeKalb Daily Chronicle

Notes: Maholm starting to draw trade interest

17 Houston Chronicle

Astros’ offensive outbreak against Pirates snaps historic losing streak

SPORTS WEBSITES

18 PBC Site

McDonald struggles as Bucs’ win streak snapped

Notebook: Correia hoping to be traded before Deadline

19 Baseball Prospectus

Pulling Back the Curtain on the Trade Deadline

20 Fangraphs

Daily Notes, With No Fewer Than One Bold Predictions

Theme this week is communication. Through the Wire Nona Hendryx 1989 She has recorded many genres in a long career. Might be known to some as member of the group Labelle. This song from her 1989 album Skindiver , basically a new age album quite different from her soul/rock albums. She has done some acting and recently wrote a musical for stage. Song starts with some wire transmissions and Nona starts at about the 1 minute make. Most have probably never heard the song but worth a listen.

I could fit my sympathy for Kevin Correia on the head of a pin.

More proof that team success is nothing more than lip service to the majority of MLB players. Sounds like Kevin would love to join another former Pirate in Minnesota. Ryan Doumit was dying to be a winner. So much so that he left Pittsburgh for the worst team in the AL.

Good riddance, Kevin.

JAL, does a Grapevine meet the requirements for communication? ;)

23. PRR says:

I agree with @Dan1283 and @aglebagel. Wieber’s floor exercise actually qualified her for the event final, and having the fourth highest overall score doesn’t seem to be a total disaster. The country quota rule seems to be a bigger disaster to me.

Watching the Buccos, hubby says, “I thought you said he (JMac) is one of their best pitchers??” I replied that he is. He said, “He has ZERO confidence out there. He looks like he’s scared.”
    Dayum.
    On the other hand, the ‘Stros were due (law of averages) for a win. They got it.

25. The Gunner says:

To all Kevin Correia bloggers:

$4,000,000 salary per year (according to Yahoo Sports)

How many of you bloggers would like to have a salary like that? That is what Kevin Correia, an average (and that’s a stretch) MLB pitcher makes per year. This fact has to make past Pirate hurlers like Bob Friend, Vern Law, Bob Veale, Steve Blass, John Candelaria (even Bo Belinsky and Pedro Ramos) sick to their stomachs.

Now KC is pouting like a little kid. For that kind of money, he should be a good soldier and do whatever PBC asks – for God’s sake, we are in the thick of a pennant race.

In the year and a half he has been here, we got a good half season out of him, that’s all. The rest of the time, he has been way below average. In summary, he is stealing Bob Nutting’s money just like a thief. The reality is he needs to go into McDonald’s slot in the rotation but now that he’s shown his true colors, NO WAY!!

NH needs to move this cancerous lowlife thief now, hopefully he can get something for him (I doubt if it will be much.) If he has to be DFA’d, fine; cut your losses and move on – don’t risk destroying the chemistry of this team. Get rid of this selfish underperforming thief and worst case, promote a deserving Indy pitcher who wants to be here!

Jandy

Yes, slated for Friday

Hell hath no fury like a Pirate fan scorned.

JAL, cool! I always love to see what you have in the line up for music.

I really dislike NBCs Olympic coverage–not the actual reporting of events but the 1970 era schedule. London is 5 hours ahead so all events could be live from early morning here to late afternoon yet NBC insists on the showing the major finals in prime time, long after they have been completed. In the modern 24 hour information age that is terrible. In 1970, with no internet and no sports channels that policy might be acceptable. In the current “now” era it seems shortsighted. Go across the border to Canada and you find CBC covers the events live as they happen.

NBC is reporting that the Pirates are showing interest in Mets shortstop Tim Foli.

31. LuckyNKentucky says:

Gunner and NMR,

At this point, after yesterday, I couldn’t agree with you more on Correia. Should be an active day on the trade front, at least on Twitter. Now, some Giants exec. says there’s no truth to the rumor they have a deal in place for Pence. That probably means the deal is done. The Indians still think they can land Marte for Choo. What a joke.

To the Kevin Correia is a bad guy bloggers:

I don’t have a big issue with Correia. He has no contract for next year, so the reality, for him, is he’s playing for next year, and next year on some other team. And this was true before the demotion. It does hurt his earning power, most likely. You would hope he would see that being on a winning team has its advantages, but he doesn’t have the security many others do, to be able to enjoy that into the future.

Arguments based on what he’s making ($3 mil or $4 mil depending where you look) don’t affect me much either. He’s earned at least what he was paid in that contract. For a free agent pitcher, back end of the rotation on a good team, that’s pretty much going rate. Yes, he’s getting paid, whether its $500,000 or $4 mil, so he owes giving his best effort. But he doesn’t deserve, at least on the evidence to date, to be called a thief and whatever else. He won 6 games in a row at the time he was demoted, for criminy sake. Oh, and I’m not worried about Bob Nutting’s money. Kevin’s earned what he got.

33. The Gunner says:

@ Milo – #29

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA – you’re killing me!! That was an excellent trade for the Bucs at the time when they acquired Foli.

Right now, I would take either Tavares or Foli (in their primes, of course) versus the $10 million man. The preference would be Foli.

34. LuckyNKentucky says:

AW,

You’re right. He’s earned what he gets. After he mouths to the media that he’s “asked to be traded” then he goes out and phones one in in a game that the Pirates scored 5 runs. If he wanted to enhance his trade value, he’d have kept his mouth shut, “acted” like a team guy and gone out and pitched his heart out. Somebody on the game thread said he threw “shutdown baseball”. Then they qualified it by saying “Operation Shutdown”. I felt for the guy last week, but mouth-flapping changed my feelings somewhat.

Regarding Kevin Correia. I thought I was watching John Candelaria circa 1985. Nasty flashbacks.

I think Pence would really stifle the payroll, not to mention the player cost.

I’m thinking those of us that are looking for a splashy pickup are going to be sorely disappointed.

But what do I know? I keep losing on the OVAH on Playoffs daily lines….

37. JMB says:

@Biz

Yeah, I think the most likely move is Philly calling us back to take the Hughes for Victorino deal.

Even the Reds are low-balling big time on the Flyin’ Hawaiian.

Lucky,
    Can you provide a link (ala DK) as to how & when Correia ‘mouthed off’ to the media.
    As far as I can tell Rob B from the Trib is the only one who got this story from KC.

And for all I know, he could have mentioned it to RB in the clubhouse, or it could have been a short conversation at the airport. Or he could have stood on his suitcase and yelled ” I am asking to be traded”. My guess is if he did that it would have been included in RB’s article.

39. The Gunner says:

@ Arriba Wilver – #31

Sorry I offended you by calling Correia a thief. However, you seem like a reasonable man – would you agree he only cares about himself and has put himself above the team? I am sure he will be gone shortly – maybe they’ll bring back Zach Duke or Paul Maholm to replace him. Seriously, Maholm would be fine – Duke is another story.

Speaking of Bob Nutting’s money, I see where the Nationals released Xavier Nady. Maybe the Bucs ought to pick him up – he’d be a bargain as his contract was for $700,000 this year. Bobby N.would like that / Milo might like that, too.

Seriously, it looks like he is done – he was only hitting .157.

40. CWalton_67 says:

Looking for heroes?

It doesn’t matter to me if those kids wearing red, white, and blue at the Olympics win any medals at all. They represent, like the young man in the link above, all that is good about our country.

USA!

I think Correia did his Denis Lemieux impression from “Slapshot”. “Trade me right bleeping now !”

Do we know that maybe KC spoke with NH and said “I really like being a Pittsburgh Pirate but I would really prefer to be a starter. So if you have a chance to move me at the deadline, please trade me to a team that will use me as a starter.”

43. LuckyNKentucky says:

TC,

Isn’t Rob the media? I know it’s questionable sometimes, but he said it in his story and on Twitwell. At least he could act like a team guy. I still feel for him after winning 6 straight decisions and getting bounced, but just button it and move forward. We all feel underappreciated at times. We just don’t express it at the wrong time.

Lucky,
    Maybe we just have different definitions of ‘mouthing off’ to the media

If he sought out RB and told him..knowing it would get printed…then maybe that is closer to mouthing off for me.

But if RB went up to KC and asked him questions, I don’t consider that mouthing off to the media.

I guess for me, I’m not ready to paint KC as such a bad guy yet.

DK: This is parsing on my part, TC, but whether Rob or I or anyone in the media approach an athlete or not, that athlete has the option to say nothing.

45. LuckyNKentucky says:

TC,

I get your point. I don’t think he’s a bad guy either. Just poor timing on some things. Like Gunner said, in his own way, he’s making good money now, and needs to think of next year. What he does and says for the next few months make a big difference in next season for him. I wish him the best, really. I’m surrounded by big mouths in both my profession and my ministry, usually tooting their own horn. It rubs me the wrong way if someone says something that even hints at being self-centered. Didn’t mean to offend.

CWalton, great story..thanks for sharing. USA!

Lucky,
    HA!! You didn’t offend me. Not at all.
    :-)

If we were to move Hughes, which IMO, not in favor of, who do we have in the minors to take his place? Hughes is a rookie, right?

That being said, I realize you have to move talent to get talent.

Too bad Meek has not panned out.

49. Dan1283 says:

DK,

“Bottom line: The qualifications and rules and even the order stuff Karolyi was complaining about — why does he only pipe up when his WIFE’S gymnasts lose? — is after-the-fact nonsense. Everyone knows the rules going on. There’s a reason this young lady dominated all-arounds since 2008. She just didn’t have it yesterday.”

Yea, he looked kind of ridiculous going into the studio and shouting about the rules. I get his point and he’s absolutely right, there is no reason that one of the top 5 gymnasts at the Games should not be able to compete in the all-around final but the 24th can. But the time for complaining about the rules is over.

His complaint about Wieber’s scores, however, seemed valid. Both he and the NBC color guy brought up the fact that she was docked a ridiculous number of points for one mistake on the beam and a really minor one on the bars. The color guy added up the normal deductions for those errors and said “OK, now where are the rest of these deducted points coming from, because I didn’t see anything else.”

50. LuckyNKentucky says:

TC,

DK formulates his stance on Kevin on Sulia. Good short read.

You know what would’ve helped Kevin Correia’s free agent value? Pitching well. Not once in that now mythic 6-win streak did he pitch past the 6th inning or give up less than 2 runs.

Nobody wronged Kevin Correia. He’s no longer one of the five best starting pitchers on this team. He has nobody to blame but himself.

He has to be extremely dense to not have already realized Huntington has been trying to unload him. Coming out and demanding a trade is akin to trying to quit after your boss already let you know you’re about to be laid off.

I’ve never met Kevin. He very well may be a great guy. But his act has been completely unprofessional.

Lucky, thanks for pointing me to DK’s stance on KC on Sulia. Good points there. Especially that everyone in baseball knows who Correia is and what he is capable of.

But my main point is with the ‘parsed’ wording: demanded or asked.
    To me there is a difference. To some others maybe there isn’t

53. The Gunner says:

@ NMR – #51

Excellent comments by you in your post. I get fired up when guys like KC, who are making huge money, pull the stunt he pulled. I did call him a thief and he is a thief of sorts. But, he is not alone as there are many thieves in MLB who are under-performers.

I guess my problem is I worked in sales for over 30 years and my compensation was highly leveraged toward commissions as we all had a low base salary. If we didn’t hit quota, we didn’t make money. In other words, we had a lot of “skin” in the game – unlike Kevin Correia and the rest of the MLB fraternity. That is how MLB players should be compensated but, they never will.

Goodbye Kevin, thanks for the great 1st half of 2011. Otherwise, you won’t be missed by most savvy Pirate fans.

@TC

I don’t so much as have a problem with Correia wanting to be traded as I do with he manner in which he’s done it.

Reports of sulking, not talking to teamates, and then absolutely tanking his relief appearance will get you zero sympathy in my book.

You want out? Fine. But act like a professional until you’re gone.

55. LuckyNKentucky says:

TC,

You’re right. Those words are drastically different. Some care in word usage is a good thing, especially for athletes, etc. that have someone hanging on every word they utter. I wasn’t thrilled by what Grilli said to his hometown paper at the ASB either. I like his cockiness and attitude, but I just wish he would have said it at the dinner table to his brothers or uncles or someone other than the media. “Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirt before a fall” is what Proverbs 16:18 says and, even if a person doesn’t believe the Bible, it’s true anyway. I hate to see these guys fall because of a big mouth and haughty spirit.

56. The Gunner says:

@ Lucky

What did Grilled Cheese say – I missed it.

Lucky, when hockey players get too cocky, or spout off too much, the “hockey gods” put them in their place. So, you’re telling me, there’s baseball gods too??? ;)

@Gunner

I’m with you in that the part of my “dislike” of Correia stems from what we see as a complete disconnect between an athlete and reality.

I understand that professional sports are not like my 9-5 job. I get that analogies across both professions are rarely appropriate.

But spare me the sob story.

@Lucky

I won’t claim to be a man of great faith, but that line resonates across all walks of life. Thank you for sharing.

From MLB Trade Rumors

The latest on the Phillies’ two outfielders:

The Pirates did not seem alive on Victorino as of late last night, tweeted Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Giants, Reds, and Dodgers have been named as other potential suitors for the 31-year-old. Victorino is hitting .261/.324/.401 in 431 plate appearances this year.
    The Phillies have pushed Pence but want a big return, tweets Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com. Salisbury says most interest is on Victorino and starter Joe Blanton.

Thoughts about the Olympics:

1. My vote for US Olympic hero is US Boxing lightweight Jose Ramirez. First generation Mexican-American and son of itinerant farm worker. Working his way up from abject poverty to the highest amateur level of his sport. Elegant fighter who advanced after an absolutely tremendous initial elimination bout. Hope he goes all the way.
    2. Don’t care what your politics are, but the United States Men’s National Basketball team each hugging the First Lady after their dispatching of an NBA rich French team was a very special Olympic moment.
    3. Love the colors, pageantry and drama of the Tennis being played at historic Wimbledon. Beautiful.
    4. Mike Emrick calling Water Polo!
    5. I really do not mind NBC waiting until prime time to rebroadcast the marquis events. I’ll have to see the ratings but prime time Olympic telecasts are not aimed at sports junkies like myself and others who populate this blog. The quintessential Olympic viewer is some one like my wife. She watches zero sports throughout the year. Never listens to sports radio and has no idea that ESPN has an internet site. Not sure she even knows ESPN exists! But she watches the Olympics very closely. She is a sucker for the human interest stuff. I found it very easy to abstain from internet and mobile communications so that I could have the quad annual joy of watching competition with my wife and family without prior knowledge of the outcome. I do get the criticism, though.
    6. My main beef with NBC was their coverage of the Olympic Opening Ceremony. The main thing I was looking forward to was the tribute to English pop music. NBC cut away to commercial just when the punk movement was being featured. Unforgivable. My wife was reading tweets/comments to me from her fashion blogs while the nations paraded in wearing their team outfits. Nice marital bonding. Also enjoyed the Queen memes that broke out during the OC. Some of you bloggers are pretty funny.

61. LuckyNKentucky says:

Gunner,

I don’t have the link, but something to the effect that he didn’t care if he was an All-Star as he was making certain guys look silly and named a few good hitters. And he was right and I concur with him 100%, but just don’t spew it out for everyone to hear. A little chip on your shoulder is a great thing especially for a set-up guy who was in the minors last year at this time. I like the guy and pull for him hard, but I wish he and others would use a little discretion.

62. LuckyNKentucky says:

Jandy,

There is one God and he loves baseball, as he does hockey and football.

Lucky, maybe “He” is a “She”, who knows?

64. LuckyNKentucky says:

J-girl,

Don’t let me go there. It would empty the blog. LOL. Besides, how would Mother T. get along with a female head man (person)?

65. The Gunner says:

@ NMR – 58

That’s the way athletes should be compensated – PAY FOR PERFORMANCE. I won’t even acknowledge that sob story remark – most thin skinned people would take it as a personal attack.

LOL Lucky. I get my daughters going on that one all the time. They love their mother, but I love to get them thinking for themselves.
    OK, I’ll drop that one…for now ;)

67. pants-n-at says:

@ Jandy. I know. God is a He, the Great I AM. And He loves you. I don’t know His feelings on soccer though.

68. LuckyNKentucky says:

Pants,

You’re so right about who He is and He doesn’t like a sport with low or no scores. (Sorry, JAL, just kidding)

69. tpbco says:

I spoke of Wandy when the trade was made. He has not been effective since May and his first start was more of the same. The Pirates lose that game against most other teams in the league.

To walk in the door, with his recent track record, and immediately be elevated over KC just may have been the main reason for KC’s request, particularly given his FA status.

70. Naje says:

@DK-
    Would have been a bonus to read an explanation about how gymnasts are chosen to participate in the all-around competition. In years past, it was the top X number of gymnasts according to their scores. If that scoring method was in place, Wieber would have made the all-around competition rather comfortably.

But now, they only take the top two scorers from each team. Wieber wasn’t very good… she looked distracted, off her game, unsteady and I’d like to know what attributed to her sub-par performances. She just didn’t have it when she needed to have it.

Sad… but the change in rules is a major factor… I know, everyone knows the rules by which they’re playing–well, at least the competitors do. Would have been helpful to put that rules change in the story… otherwise, Wieber is in the top 10 of all the gymnasts for the all-around and gets a chance to redeem herself in the finals.

71. K. PenFan says:

Can someone point me to how they decide deductions in gymnastics? It seems totally subjective and fabricated to me.

DK: It’s ALL subjective. That’s the peril of judged athletics. Some are automatic, such as a step out of bounds on the floor exercise. Others are just a perceived slip.

@K. PenFan – I think the judges are taught by NHL refs, similar to obstruction, holding and all of that.

No rhyme or reason to it…..

@ Biz ~ lol

“He has not been effective since May and his first start was more of the same…To walk in the door, with his recent track record, and immediately be elevated over KC just may have been the main reason for KC’s request…”

Since May, Kevin Correia has an ERA of 5.01. Wandy Rodriguez has an ERA of 4.58.

So K.C ‘tanked’ his relief appearance.

To me ‘tanked’ means he purposely did not try to perform well or to his capabilities.
    By pitching poorly on purpose what does he gain by that? He thinks so little of his teammates that he went out and pitched bad on purpose.

Sorry, but I am not buying it.

@TC – me neither, no indication that KC tanked it. He’s not happy, he got demoted, regardless of what he said, IMO he’s a professional and would not throw in the towel, that helps no one

If he wants traded and is worried about a new contract, tanking is not the thing to show

I wish either of you were my boss if you buy that KC was giving max effort yesterday afternoon…

And you don’t think that showing he is bad in a relief role gives Huntington more incentive to trade him?

What purpose does Neal have for him if he can’t pitch in the bullpen?

NRM
    Forget about his impression on NH, what do you think the other teams around the majors think of Correia after watching yesterday’s performance?

Shouldn’t he be trying to pitch well so that increases his trade value…and that makes himself more attractive as player to trade for?

How exactly did he help himself by pitching poorly yesterday?

80. The Gunner says:

@ TC – 76

KC did not try to fail in his relief appearance yesterday, that’s absurd. Unfortunately, he just plain stunk it up, that’s all.

This guy is a much different pitcher since the 1st half of 2011. Maybe he has a bad arm/shoulder or maybe his skills are on the decline (it happens to the best of them) & soon he will be washed up – who knows.

I must say he sure has been lucky to win 6 games in a row as a starter with his less than stellar performances in most of the games. Lady luck sure has been on his side.

Gunner, I agree with you.

And as I mentioned in the first post of the day, I am not the President of his Fan Club.

82. DemonDachshund says:

KC is a back of the rotation starter. Any team that signs him in the offseason is going to potentially push him into the bullpen at some point. I can’t think that his act right now helps his future value in any way shape or form.

He may be dogging it to show that he “can’t” perform out of the pen, but that’s a remarkably stupid thing for him to do. He’s certainly not good enough for teams to be willing to put up with attitude from him.

Jagr and Ovechkin both enjoying the tennis at Wimbledon.

Just interviewed Jagr on Bravo. Says he plays tennis a lot and hopes it improves his hockey.

I think Dejan brought over good weather with him. Overall, looks like it has been nice despite the English stereotype.

And don’t forget, if memory serves me, KC has been known to struggle in his starts in the early innings, I believe Bedard also has that penchant

Speaking of lousy pitching, anyone think its time for JMac to get a 15 day stint on the DL/CL?

We got KC for 2 years 8 million, IMO that is the definition of a back of the end starter.

@TC

Correia wants to be a starter, not a reliever. How does pitching well out of the bullpen, which surely would give NH incentive to keep him, get him to that goal?

And I don’t agree that KC was any better of a pitcher at the start of 2011 than he is now.

Remember when the sabremetric nerds were saying Correia was bound to regress in the second half of the year because his “peripheral” numbers, namely his FIP, were far worse than his ERA? I laughed it off at the time, but it turned out to be completely true.

Fast forward to this year. Correia currently has an ERA of 4.49, yet is FIP is almost a half run higher at 4.91. Why should I ignore that if I was already proven wrong once before?

@Biz, re: #85

Precisely the reason why it’s incredibly shortsighted for Correia to complain about being sent to the pen.

Hurdle was already talking about using other guys to make spot starts in August. Jmac looks like he could be headed to the DL. Bedard is always a risk.

Corriea, even if banished to the pen, could easily still make half the starts he would’ve normally been scheduled through the rest of the year. Does anyone really think thats gonna hurt his free agent value?

Bottom line, his feelings were hurt and he showed his true character.

@NMR

I can’t say, I don’t know the fellow

But I do agree his feelings appear to be hurt

Say what you want about Correia…a lot of the guys were struggling yesterday. JMac stunk it up, Correia wasn’t much better (if at all), Presley couldn’t buy a ball (vs a strike) for his life, GI Jones was having a rough time defensively…I could go on… but bottom line is, the Astros were due for a win, they got one. We had no luck at all.
    As for Correia’s attitude, I can’t understand why he’d tank it intentionally when it would only make HIM look bad…but like Lucky, what do I know?

90. JHadar says:

On the one hand Correia probably should have kept his mouth shut. There was no way it was going to come off gaining him the sympathy of teammates, the manager and coaches, upper management or the fanbase — which is probably the order in which he cares about the about the repercussions.

On the other hand many people, I wouldn’t be surprised if it even included some of those who are upset with him this morning, have said things they later regretted when they were upset.

If I’m NH (and of course I’m not, you know) I would not be lowering my asking price for him because he spouted off on the grounds of he’ll get over it.

This is basically a tempest in a teapot. The professionals around him will handle it one way or another. He would have been better off just to keep his mouth shut, though.

Finally, we still have a lot of pitching coming our way.

91. LuckyNKentucky says:

JH,

Well put. I like your analogy. I hope we get something for him. Even a prospect at this point looks good.

92. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

RE: Correia

Yes, he’s won 6 in a row before getting sent to the pen. I understand how the guy can be frustrated with that demotion. Of those 6, he gave up 5 runs against the Cards and still got the win. Outside of that outing, of the 6, the most runs he gave up was 3 and he went 6 innings in 4 of those games. I’d be ticked too.

But, he’s probably more valueable to the Pirates than what they can get in return. He will get a spot start here and there.

The way he’s gone about his business, is unprofessional.

93. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

RE: Bedard

Bedard is always in question. Which Bedard shows up? The current one or the June/July one?

If he continues down the path that he’s currently been on, I have no worries. But isn’t it time for him to get hurt?

94. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Jandy

There’s no way you will hear me complain about taking 3/4 from ANY team, regardless of who they are.

They definetly were due.

Funniest part of the game? GI Jones trying to catch a ball…I was dying, looked like he got sniped.

95. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Now is NH’s chance to make a stament with Correia and all current/future buccos. Dump his salary to a last-place A.L. team for a low-level prospect (if anyone will take him), use the money somewhere better. Make it clear- you don’t want to be a part of this, get out! If you’re just here for a paycheck and to feed your ego, we don’t want you. Good luck, Kevin. I’m sure the A.L. hitters will be much easier on you than the mighty Astros, and your 3 K’s per game will be gone since you won’t be facing pitchers anymore.

96. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Brad

They only problem with that idea is, you’d have to get rid of everyone. This is their job. They get paid to “play ball.” They want to play, doesn’t matter where or for what.

We see this all the time with every athlete. Look at all the SB players that sign big contracts to go to loser teams every year. The same with the other sports.

Its all about the paycheck and “respect.”

Do you think Neil Walker will take a hometown discount if offered over a larger contract from the Mariners or Astros?

Ryan, when GI got sniped, hubby said, “Who is that clown?” I was laughing so hard I couldn’t answer him. No wonder he doesn’t like to watch baseball with me.

Seriously, after we were down 5-3 or something like that, I knew we lost the game…the way everything was going I was looking for the humor in everything. Now, when we play the Cubs tonight, it had better be business. We need the wins NOW.

98. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Jandy

BTW, with your notion that the Astros are due for a win, aren’t the Reds due to lose??

99. Stickyweb says:

This Cubs series is really interesting. Yes they’re playing better (they’ve only lost 1 of their last 8 series) and they have some major league talent (as opposed to Astros), but buccos should be pissed at how bad they’ve played the last 7 (lucky to be 4-3) and wanting to pay back the Cubbies for taking 2 of 3 from us in our house.

If the Bucs look as lackluster as they have the past week or look past the Cubs to the Reds series, I think the season starts to slip away. If we fall 5 or 6 back of the Reds, I think doubt starts to set in on the players.

Believe me, I’m a hopeless optomist all of the time, but I just think how the Bucs play this week is huge.

Of course, we could get a bat before the deadline and Cincy actually lose a game sometime, and all will be right with the world.

100. Stickyweb says:

Ryan

Yes, Reds are way overdue for a loss. Wouldn’t it be funny if they keep winning until Votto comes back and then regress to the mean? Stranger things have happened.

The Milwaukee Brewers have fired their bullpen coach & replaced him with Lee Tunnell (yes, that Lee Tunnell). Don’t you wish “fixing” the Pirates was that easy ?

Ryan, heck yes, and trust me, the Reds will lose very soon.
    (Mother Theresa has spoken!)

Now, will someone please be kind enough to fill me in on the Dejan/Lisa thing? I was at the Mayhem Energy Rock Star concert in Burgettstown and I missed all that fun.

103. The Gunner says:

@ Milo – 102

Lee Tunnell……..wow!!! Glad to hear he is still earning a paycheck in baseball. A pitcher similar to the Lee Tunnell of 1983 would be a welcome addition to the current Bucs rotation.

Let’s hope the Bucs bring their A game tonight – sooner or later the Reds will lose a game. Hopefully, it is sooner.

@Jandy – I’m a bit fuzzy on the Lisa thing, but I think it happened the night Dejan was trying to get a cab and the cab driver called him Lisa?

Oh Lord! Dejan doesn’t LOOK like a Lisa ;)

Well, I think Dejan said there were quite a few tipping the bottle…..

drink and drive eh? wow…no wonder they drive on the wrong side of the road!

108. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I was hoping the Reds would lose more with Votto out. Looks like those guys are holding down the fort. (not our fort)

7-3 over the last 10 is pretty darn good……too bad the Reds have done better.

109. tpbco says:

NMR-

I live in Houston and having been watching Wandy all season and since May he has STUNK, regardless of his ERA. Just like his first start…he was so bad it was hard to watch.

Actually having seen them both pitch, I would not trade KC straight up for him, so I sure won’t elevate him into a starters role over him.

110. JHadar says:

Ryan –

Agreed, but it’s not just the last 10. The Reds are 17-2 in their last 19. You can’t compete with that, all you can do is wait for them to cool down and try to catch them before the season is over.

We’re doing very well to be where we are — especially considering that there was a lot of a talk about the number 20 at the beginning of the season, and it sure wasn’t about being 20 games over .500. (Although 33-28 from here on out doesn’t sound unreasonable any more.)

Who knows, given Hurdle’s history maybe our guys have a winning streak in them still before this season’s over.

111. Indian Brad and various Over-reactors,

Have you never had a fight with your wife?!
    Have you never said something that you wish you could take back?
    Have you never been upset and acted in haste/spoken without thinking?

Cut Kevin Correia some slack. Just because he said something to 24/7 (& no one else) before engaging his brain is no reason for us here to disengage our own brains!

1/ Why would a last place club pick up a free agent to be and still have to pay him $1 million? Why would they give us a prospect? Last place clubs are not trying to add at the deadline.
    2/ If Kevin Correia “tanked” it yesterday, then James McDonald tanked it double! JMac REFUSED to throw the ball over the plate, walking 7!
    3/ Where is the value in pitching intentionally poorly to encourage another team to pick you up?
    4/ I think Andrew McCutchen tanked it yesterday when he pinch hit with the bases loaded. He was angry that Hurdle did not start him, so he intentionally popped to 2nd base!! {Sounds awful stupid, doesn’t it?!}

NMR, unless one is retired, all of us here are ‘stealing’ from our bosses when we spend time here. You already have that kind of boss.

112. LuckyNKentucky says:

Groaty to the minimum,

I disagree with your last line. I’m entitled to 1.5 hours of breaks I don’t get 1/2 hour of on a daily basis. If I thought I was stealing, I wouldn’t post on here. The rest of your rant is pretty sound.

113. The Gunner says:

@ Groat2Maz2Strangeglove (24 to 9 to 7) – 112

Gotta love your statement below!!

“NMR, unless one is retired, all of us here are ’stealing’ from our bosses when we spend time here. You already have that kind of boss.”

You really put it in perspective.

114. Kentuck Knob,

Actually I am “entitled” also, but I thought I would include you and me in here so we Christians could exhibit our graciousness. That’s got to be one of the 9 Fruits, right?!

From MLB Trade Rumors, for what a rumor is worth

The Reds appear to be zeroing in on Pierre, writes ESPN’s Jayson Stark. He says the Dodgers look like the frontrunner on Victorino, while teams that have checked in on Pence believe the Phillies will wait until the offseason.

116. Gunner,

Good uni number recall! And DPs.

Groat, I take phone calls evenings and weekends from the office…without pay…so who’s stealing from who??????

118. JHadar says:

G2M2SG

Agree completely.

A wise old friend of my mine once told me that the way to test an argument’s validity is to adopt it as true and then force the consequences.

All you left out was that Hurdle tanked it, by letting McCutchen hit with the bases loaded after he had failed to start because KNOWING that since he wasn’t going to hit anyway, he would angrily pop out.

119. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Is it stealing from the boss if we are mult-tasking.

BTW, thank you all for paying for my internet access.

Ryan LOL!

121. JandyGirl,

You’re Mother Theresa, so we would expect nothing less than you to do work on your free time!

You are the true 24/7.

Just responding to NMR’s comment of derision concerning Correia at #78.

122. JHadar says:

I guess I’m stealing from myself then

123. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I’m on a 24/7 contract……

JHadar, how does that feel??? lol

125. North Cali Ryan,

“I’m on a 24/7 contract……”

Does that mean if you get to your work and cannot find a parking place, you drive home?!

126. redus says:

No bats wanted…pitching please. Just pitching sir. If this offense was to return to April output, I would not only be astonished, but would be more than happy to relinquish control of both the wild card and NL Central to any team with a pulse.

Solidify the pen and figure out what is up with JMac – Correia is fine. No one wants a guy on the club that doesn’t want to play. There is no selfishness in saying I want to pitch but it doesn’t look like it will be here…I recall a lot of discussion about how moving from starter to reliever is not quite the do-it-with-you-eyes-closed kind of task that many would like to make it out to be. The man is a starter and when he is asked to start again, do you want a man that isn’t confident in his ability to start games. Pennant race or no, I would love to know the context of what KC said…was he asked and simply answered the question about being moved to the pen? If so, then quit busting the guys chops for neing honest. If he lies you will call him a liar…if he’s honest, then he’s selfish. He wants to pitch.

Good Kevin…now that we’ve got you attention, you better get freakin’ excited bro…looks like JMac might be watching some video the next start that he is scheduled to make.

127. DemonDachshund says:

From what I gathered on Twitter, DK (or LK?) was stranded in East London after the opening ceremonies. He somehow persuaded a rather inebriated group of people to let him take their cab… But the cab had been requested under the name of Lisa.

As he was able to convince the cabbie that his name was Lisa, I’m also happy to call him Lisa.

128. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Anyways…

So it looks highly unlikely that the Pirates do anything before the deadline.

Things change leading up to the drop-dead time, but not looking good.

I’d be happy with Morneau or Victorino, but I think the other teams in persuit have more money to spend and can afford to give up a top prospect.

129. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Groat.

I could, but the cool thing is they can send a rescue team for me…but the end doesn’t turn out that great for me.

I’m not an hourly employee, Groat.

I get paid to do my job to the best of my ability. My boss surely wouldn’t cut me any slack if I dogged it after seeing a coworker get promoted over me.

I’m not cutting Kevin any, either.

131. I think the Bucs will be wise and not say anything until we see what goes down here at the trading deadline . . . . .

. . . . . . but if the team remains the same, I would not be surprised to see James McDonald go onto the Convenience List backdated to yesterday, with Correia making two starts.

132. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Oh I thought CL meant CraigsList..I was way off.

He looked very confused. They have mentioned that Correia might make a few spot starts and/or Locke might be called up to help out as well.

133. Naje says:

Just to clarify the Reds 17-2 run:

–3 wins v. Padres (43-60 currently)
    –3 wins v. Cards (54-48)
    –2-2 v. D-backs (51-51)
    –3 wins v. Brewers (45-56)
    –3 wins v. Astros (two of which came on Astros relievers having big melt-downs late in the game… 35-68)
    –3 wins v. Genius Jim and the Rockies (37-63)

On one hand, they’ve put beat-downs on some middling to very bad teams. On the other, the Bucs have run into a some strong pitching from the Cubs.

Reds have 4 with Padres, then 3 with Bucs and then play: at Milw, at Cubs, v Mets, v Cubs, at Phillies, v Cards, at Arizona, at Houston.

So in their next 34 games, the Reds play exactly 2 series v. teams with winning records (Bucs and Cards) and one that is currently .500 (Arizona).

How do we expect the Reds to cool off v. THAT schedule? I know it will, but they could easily go 24-10 in that span. At worst, maybe 20-14.

134. JHadar says:

Jandy,

I’m in a family business and semi-retired on top of that. What matters is getting things done right and on time and beyond that if my brother takes afternoons off in the spring to coach the high school team he can do that, or if my sister wants to be on the local conservation commission she can do that, and I can go volunteer to build stuff when I want to — so really it feels pretty good as long as I don’t get so addicted to the blog that it gets in the way of what’s important. I know you were joking a bit, but it made me reflect on some of the good stuff — so thanks.

Ryan, see my post #24 waaaaayyy ^^^^ there. Hubby doesn’t watch a lot of baseball, and he said JMac looked “scared”.

Maybe some time off would help him.

Dachsie, thanks for sharing that story. lol the things Dejan gets himself into!

136. LuckyNKentucky says:

Groat,

I just did an in-depth on those 9 Fruits last week. Based on the Greek, I’d say graciousness is included in most of them, so I concur with you. Myself, I haven’t been very gracious with Kevin, so I repent. (Still wish he hadn’t said it, even to 24/7, our Pirate beat man).

137. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Naje

The schedules even out here soon, but I don’t care who they’re playing, a 17-2 run is outstanding

138. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Jandy

I did. Couldn’t agree more.

139. JHadar says:

On a more serious note

NMR it just makes more sense to me that Correia was trying as always, but that being disappointed in himself he was off a little — and even against a last place team of major leaguers being off a little is enough to get clobbered.

JHadar, hey, glad I could make you think and appreciate what you DO have. I’ve learned never to take things for granted. It could all change in a split second.
    I have a stressful job, and this blog and the wonderful people who participate help me keep my cool on more days than they would ever realize. People like you, and all the others, quite simply ROCK!

Lucky, for your penance, say 10 Ave Maria’s that KC will pitch well his next outing.

Ok, has anyone seen buggee at all lately? I miss that crazy guy. Is he on vacation or something?????

143. LuckyNKentucky says:

Jandy,

The only one I know is Hail Mary something. My wife repeated it to me. She used to be Catholic. Would you settle for that?

Lucky, that’s the one, sir. Ave Maria is just the Latin name for it. =)

145. National Mart of Records,

Where we disagree is, I just don’t think he was doggin’ it. He had a bad game.

And he didn’t get up in a press conference and demand to be traded——apparently only 24/7 heard that “he has asked the Pirates to trade him.” Scoop? The rest of what 24/7 wrote was just quoting from Huntington’s radio show, which I heard. 24/7 seemed to be having Huntington say more than what he did.

James McDonald had a terrible game. 7 walks. McCutch popped up with the bases loaded. Garrett Jones played “ring around the rosie” in right field. All of them were bad. None of them was doggin’ it. Neither was Correia.

146. Naje says:

@Ryan-
    No doubt the schedules even out between the Bucs and Reds, but do you anticipate anything close to a 17-2 run with the Bucs anytime soon? I mean, I’ll take 13-6 over a 19 game stretch, but it’s tough to fathom them achieving that with the current state of the team and some of the rough patches they’re going through.

Small cracks beginning to reveal themselves… just small… not big, giant chasms to deal with, but those little cracks sometimes add up quickly. Looking forward to what the next 25 hours might bring… hopefully a bat and an arm…

But it’s a great opportunity for these guys to aspire to maintain contact with the Reds… to keep them in our sights, so to speak, and not let them get too far ahead. Trying to maintain pace with them would most assuredly get the Bucs in prime contention for a wild card spot.

147. LuckyNKentucky says:

Jandy,

I thought Ave Maria was a Christmas song. See, we can learn something on here. That makes sense and shows why I didn’t do well in Latin in HS 40+ years ago. It also shows why I can’t understand my Spanish-speaking clients here.

148. Kentuck Knob,

Romans 12:16

Not to be confused with my favorite verse——16:16

Lucky, I DID have Latin 38 years ago, and I DID do well. But I’ve forgotten a lot of it. But being a good Catholic girl for 40 years, I somehow retained quite a bit of it!

150. Leefoo says:

If you guys want a laugh check out this trade offer from Jim “Is it Any Wonder I got Fired” Bowden, on ESP Insider.

“Hunter Pence to the Pittsburgh Pirates for OF Starling Marte and 1B Alex Dickerson
    Pence is going to be arbitration eligible and will be in line for a salary in the $14 to $15 million range. His current production doesn’t the match the cost nor the structure of the Phillies’ payroll. A trade to a team like the Pirates would make sense. Marte becomes the Phillies everyday center fielder, and Dickerson gives them a legitimate first-base prospect for the future. Pence’s 2013 salary makes him a bit expensive for the Bucs, but it would only be a one-year deal, which makes it palatable. ”

Yeah, trading him to the Bucs makes sense but not at THAT price. Dickerson and Brandon Boggs maybe….lol

151. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Naje

No, I don’t see that kind of run. To be honest, who would’ve seen that with the Reds after Votto went down.

I really don’t see any team having that kind of a stretch.

152. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Lee

Oh it makes sense alright…..for the Phillies.

at Ryan and Naje ~ which is precisely why the Reds are due to lose!

Laughing Foo, I’d say that man is on crack or something!

Fair enough, Groat. Just seemed a bit too coincidental to me.

I’ll never fault you for looking optomistically at someone. I usually try to do the same.

156. Naje says:

Jandy–
    Against that schedule? 2 series of their next 10 series against teams with winning records? Well, I’ll be shocked if they go anything less than 20-14.

“Due to lose” is a nice sentiment… and definitely one I’ll hope for, but reality says the Reds feast on bad teams…

There’s the NMR I know and <3!!!!

If Kevin Correia hasn’t yet been sat down and told that his act this weekend was totally unacceptable, I would be very disappointed in Pirates management in general & Clint Hurdle (Happy Birthday, by the way) in particular.

159. You are a level-headed bloke (I said that for Dejan’s benefit), NMR.

That’s why I enjoy discussing things with you!

160. LuckyNKentucky says:

Groat,

Excellent! Personally, I never could separate the 2, holy or regular, but I’m working on it.

161. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I don’t see CH as a guy that lets the slide.

162. Milo (not the insufferable baseball announcer),

I view askance any scoop that 24/7 has. No one else has reported Correia’s “demands.” 24/7 is still driving around looking for a parking place, texting away.

By the say, I saw your namesake for a short time on TV over the weekend. I threw up a little bit in my mouth!

163. pants-n-at says:

@ Groat. I just looked them both up. I like them both. Bless you!

@Groat

I wasn’t talking about him asking to be traded. Did you see him pouting all weekend like a little girl ? I heard Greg Brown today say that he’s totally removed himself from his teammates and hasn’t been talking to anyone (except Biertempfel, apparently). And that performance yesterday reminded me of John Candelaria intentionally chucking games in 1985 in an attempt to get traded.

165. The Gunner says:

@ Groat2Maz2Strangeglove (24 to 9 to 7) – 163

I am so glad I missed the guy you refer to as “the insufferable baseball announcer”. I would have puked, too as did many Pirate fans did while listening to his broadcasts in the late 70s.

Unfortunately, Milo couldn’t carry The Gunner’s jock on a bad day and he knew it.

@Gunner

What a “be careful what you wish for” situation. The suits at Group W had so had it with Prince’s act that when they finally fired him, they ended up with someone even more insufferable.

G2M–well said at #112.

Gunner–I wasn’t at all offended by your original comment about Correia. I was providing a different viewpoint. And I don’t think It makes me thin-skinned, either. I HAD a different viewpoint. Still do. Apparently that not only makes me thin-skinned, but also not a “savvy” Pirate fan. (#53). But TC and Groat handled the countervailing arguments quite well, so I’ll leave it at that.

168. The Gunner says:

@ Milo – 167

That is correct. Are you better off with the devil you know or the devil you don’t know – it certainly fits that situation that happened a long, long time ago.

I don’t look for the Bucs to make any significant trade before the deadline, do you?

169. LuckyNKentucky says:

Milo,

I have a 3 1/2 year-old granddaughter. I understand your pouting reference. Hope Jandy isn’t offended. (Boys pout, too, just look at ……..)

170. Brad, Indiana PA says:

My point with Correia is that he IS on a team with a chance to win and WILL be asked to contribute and “play ball”. He wasn’t sent to the minors or benched indefinitely and he’s still getting paid, so his trade request comes off as selfish. If his primary concern is starting, that’s fine. Send him somewhere where he can start. My point about trading him is a hypothetical if not metaphorical one. Only NH has an idea of what Correia could bring in a trade. I (personally) would be fine if they traded him for nothing at this point based on his attitude alone. I could honestly be mistaken, but I don’t think Karstens and Lincoln publicly asked to be traded when they had time in the pen. Also, I didn’t get to watch the whole game yesterday, but I find the idea of KC tanking anything preposterous. I don’t begrudge his honesty. I as a fan am upset about his attitude. “Maybe after all the No. 1s are off the board, then teams will start looking at me,” Correia said, with a light shrug.(pirates.com, “Correia hoping to be traded before Deadline”). If I remember correctly, DK had a similar stance on Lee and that’s how I feel about KC. Everyone has to complete taskes at work that they don’t like. But if Average Joe requests a trade to another company because he doesn’t like his job, he’s shown the door. In regards to marriage and this baseball situation, that’s like saying, “Baby, I’m not happy you found someone else to cut the grass. I want to cut the grass. If you don’t want me to cut it, trade me for someone else.” This team is thriving on the very fact that they are winning as a team for the first time in 20 years. If he doesn’t want to be a part of that, that’s his choice. But don’t keep him around if he’s going to pout. I’d admire him if his statement had been more along the lines of, “I’m a millionaire playing baseball on a good team with a shot at a division title. I’m a pretty lucky guy.” I think that perspective deserves as much consideration as how he feels about going to the pen.

@Gunner

I think they’ll do something. I don’t think you can say how significant until you can compare it to what your competition does.

Presley’s in the lineup again tonight. They’re obviously trying very hard to pawn him off onto someone.

172. DemonDachshund says:

@Milo

Presley was awful yesterday, but he also had 2 HR this weekend, and honestly… There’s not much else to throw out there right now.

I will be disappointed if they don’t get SOMETHING to put in RF/provide insurance against a Marte struggle/improve the bench.

173. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I don’t think its pawn as much as they have nobody else to play out there…..

174. Ants Marching
    ============================

175. Reagan's Dad says:

Anybody else notice the positive comments coming from Latrobe regarding Haley’s offense? Max Starks, who has seen the playbook for about one week, said this offense is easier to understand than the previous one under Arians. I recall Redman and Brown saying similar things. So either Ben has a box of rocks under his helmet or he is a perpetual whiner. Either way doesn’t say much for his leadership skills.

176. pants-n-at says:

Wait…I change my mind….box of rocks

177. scapper says:

I’ll say it again. If you’re not already, be sure to follow DK’s tweets from London. Fun stuff.