Final: Pirates 6, Reds 2

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (60-46) vs. Cincinnati Reds (66-41)

Time: 1:10 p.m.

Site: Great American Ball Park, Cincinnati

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup vs. Cincinnati RHP Homer Bailey

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Josh Harrison, 3B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, RF
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  7. Rod Barajas, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. A.J. Burnett, RHP

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Changing things up a bit today.

Today’s PICK ‘EM (always for fun of course)

What Will AJ Burnett Get In Today’s Game?
    WIN
    LOSS
    NO DECISION
    (All you need to do is pick one of the above choices, and put a fake wager on it)

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY SINGLE LINE ***

GlassHalfFull ** -305
    Stickyweb ** -325
    bob hasis ** -450
    Boise Bucco ** -500
    Kevin S ** -500
    TDB1977 ** -1040

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) 2012 Topps Roberto Clemente Card

Marte and Harrison in top two spots, why doesn’t that thrill me?

3. Matt says:

If Jmac hits the reds first batter last night a warning is issued to both teams and harrison doesn’t get hit (assuming it was intentional). If leake hit Jmac unintentionally, he gets ejected. I am not saying to throw at their head or do anything dirty, just protect your teammmates. I bet burnett protects his team as long as no warnings are issued before the game. Go buccos!

Where’s Ty Cobb when you need him?

5. Matt says:

The umpire was bush league to issue the warning when he did last night! Just my opinion. I almost feel like there is a conspiracy by the umpires to pick on the pirates ( jerry meals)!

Or George The Animal Steel?

7. RobertoForever says:

Thoroughly confused by Clint’s strategy on lineups since the Sanchez trade. Haven’t figured out what he is trying to accomplish.

Let’s hope it spells domination vs Bailey today.

I doubt Harrison’s hit was intentional. Why hit the 8 hitter when if you get him out the pitcher leads off the next inning.

Thats a tough one (and per usual a good one) playoffs

After much teeth gnashing, 100 on the WIN

Although, he might get tossed if he hits someone…

10. Matt says:

@jal

You are probably correct in assuming it wasn’t intentional, but if they were going to hit somebody on purpose, that would have been the time to do it without getting burnt BECAUSE the pitcher was on deck.

11. CDBrewer says:

Sorry haven’t been around more, but what is the general feel on the importance of today?
    I don’t get the feeling this team will collapse even if swept. Now, that doesn’t mean I think they hold off the Dodgers/Giants/Braves who all added tsignificantly, but I still think 85 wins is going to happen.

And frankly, I’m good with that, given the building for next year. And we might add a Bay or something this month.

12. RaleighBob says:

If a Pirate gets beaned today, there will be a bench-clearing brawl!

13. Curt says:

I say 100 on the Win today.

I also say the Pirates find a way to bring in another bat or arm still. Just have a gut feeling they do.

Well Bob. At least a Blog Clearing Brawl.

15. CDBrewer says:

@Raleigh
    Agreed. And I don’t think a hard slide would be so bad either, for the message to Cutch more than Cincy.

@Curt
    Agreed about bringing somebody in.

I have a few baseballs picked up at Pirate City last Spring Training.

I found a picture of Thunder.

I’m practicing.

17. radio wave says:

At playoffs:
    Hate the lineup, no hitting.
    75 on a no decision.

Why was clint tossed?
    Drew: you’re on your game today.

18. JRay3 says:

I don’t know if hitting JHay was intentional or not but I would not put it past Baker and Leake. Leake had just given up a HR two batters ago and may have been making a statement silmilar to Chapman, or to get the Pirates off their game (funny how he secured two outs like Chapman before the plunking). Baker may have felt we could get two in before they have a chance and figured the Ump would give a warning.

Win or lose today I do not believe today is the season. I believe this team competes for the long haul a loss will just make it tougher to get into the division race but we are still 2 games up in the WC standings. The good news is after today the Bucs head home for 11 games.

Also after Trade deadline returns:

Victorino 2-12 .166 since being traded
    Pence 2-17 .117 since being traded

19. CDBrewer says:

@radio

Clint got run because they warned both benches after Leake hit Harrison, and Clint – rightly pointed out that was 2-0 in the hbp score. I have a feeling he had some other choice words that got him run, but that was a MIGHTY quick heavy-ho in a big game.

I kinda would like to drill Bailey and have Barajas tell Bailey to thank Aroldis, just so word gets to him not to make the same mistake again.

20. JRay3 says:

Down on the farm last night two more encouraging performances from Tabata and D’Arnaud.

Tabtata was 3-6 with 2 RBI’s and is now hitting .324 up significantly the past two weeks.
    D’Arnaud was 2-5 with 2 R’s and RBI to raise his avg. to .243.

21. CDBrewer says:

@JRay

Hey, I don’t want you to construe my comment that I disagree with our moves at the deadline. I think Lincoln was a ton for Snider, but I like the Gaby move. And I love the moves we didn’t make.
    I also don’t see Headley being significantly better than what we roll out at 1B, and he would be moving across the infield. Carlos Lee might be because he is a rbi machine when given opportunity, but he cannot play the field anymore…at all.

All that said, Pence and Victorino will most likely pick it up.

22. Kevin says:

So much to consider with today’s line…this one may be your best, Playoffs (noting that ALL your lines are great)…

50 on the NO DECISION. Argh.

23. RaleighBob says:

I cannot imagine that AJ is not going to retaliate.
    AJ is going to either drill the first batter or
    Jay Bruce – even if warnings are issued.

Gaby is at first base to tackle Jay Bruce before he gets to AJ.
    Gaby clotheslined our friend Nyjer Morgan a couple of years ago
    when Nyjer was a National and got beaned in retaliation for
    running over the Marlins catcher.

24. JRay3 says:

@ CD Brewer – I would tend to agree twith you that Pence and Victorino will pick it up (even though they both have had sub par years), Ryan Dempster was shelled in his first start with the Rangers. Paul Maholm took the loss to the Astros last night. The Angels have lost both of Zack Grenike’s starts and he took the loss in one and gave up 6 runs in the other.

I just use it to point out that many of the teams that made moves are not seeing immediate returns.

For me I really liked the move to get Wandy as I think it was necessary and gives us a solid rotation. The player moves I liked at the price and will take time to evaluate.

25. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs – Good morning from very hot Phoenix. Great line per usual. This series has put a hurting on me. However, I have to believe today AJ Burnett shows us all why he has so quickly become a favorite and a true ace.

Give me 50 on the WIN.

What a difference a win this afternoon would be, so Let’s Go Bucs!

26. JRay3 says:

Reds Lineup once again without Phillips:

Cozart, Stubbbs, Bruce, Ludwick, Frazier, Cairo, Valdez, Hanigan, Bailey.

Also anybody else surprised they give Pedro the off day during a day game where his splits are favorably better?

27. bobhasis says:

Just look at today’s lineup, and you’ll know all that you need to know about “The Uncertain Professor Hurdle”
    Presley didn’t get enough hits yesterday.
    Walker is too natural batting second
    Gaby Sanchez will light up Bailey (righty on righty)
    The Fort needed 3 more hits (like Presley) to qualify for today
    Barmes would have made the difference last night between winning and losing – NOT

Hurdle is deranged; I hope that doesn’t offend you Hurdlers. Manager of the Year. Oh yeah

28. DemonDachshund says:

@Playoffs

90 on the NO DECISION, please.

29. Mike C. says:

weird weird line-up
    let’s play to our weakness with more righties in the lineup vs a RHP and take out DayDro for a 1pm game….
    no logic behind this at all.

@playoffs
    -I bet 100 on the WIN
    anyways it’s AJ, what more reason do you need?

30. Hurdle rocks. GoBucs! Go A.J., you the The Man!

bob– as a confirmed “Hurdler,” I don’t think he’s the one who’s deranged.

32. bobhasis says:

So let’s analyze; Presley, a lefty is out in favor of Gaby a righty against Bailey, a righty
    JHay looked out of place providing a little punch to the bottom of the lineup, to be replaced by .207 and .201. I like Jhay but not when he supplants Walker.
    I’m surprised there isn’t more of an outcry from “the Pedro Bunch” for his being taken out.
    So our hottest hitter – The Fort .285 is replaced by .201, and our nifty little lefty is replaced – in essence – by Gaby.

What a joke!

33. bobhasis says:

So AW, you like this lineup?

You admit then it’s you, since you espouse yourself to CH

34. hal smith says:

100 on he WINS

But it does look like we will have trouble scoring.

35. Reading says:

Pirates 6-9 hitters batting an average of .172. Raise the Jolly Roger.

36. DemonDachshund says:

Bailey’s OPS allowed vs. righties is .797. His OPS allowed vs. lefties is .708.

Not saying I agree with the logic, but that’s probably what he’s thinking.

37. Reading says:

Tired of the “This isn’t a must win” philosophy. Championship teams take advantage of this type of big series to put the other team away. We’re basically getting sand kicked in our faces.

38. JaxBuc says:

@Playoffs

50 on no decision

39. bobhasis says:

Three righties at the top, two lefties, then a big finish with four righties (who avg. .172), against Bailey with whom we’ve had “modest” success.

Good luck, I’ll need to root extra hard

40. JMB says:

@PLAYOFFS

100 on the LOSS.

This feels like the start of an August swoon to me, but I hope that I’m wrong.

bob–to complain about Barajas catching A J kind of says it all. To you, the Pirates have won 60 games and Hurdle has lost 46.

42. Mlrgenuine says:

@Playoffs

Need to remain positive.

50 on the WIN

Thanks!

Let’s Go Bucs!

43. CDBrewer says:

@bobhasis: agreed that the lineup is odd, but to dismiss that Hurdle is going to break 20 years of sub 500 ball is to dismiss a major accomplishment. Not sure how many guys could get the franchise over that hurdle (sorry). There are some good x and o guys, some good head guys.

@Reading: We are not a “championship” team yet. We are building to that. I see this like ’88, when we hung with the Mets building to the 3 straight division titles. Look back at what that Met team did to that Pirate team in two August series.

44. Jay Jax Fl via New Castle says:

Playoffs……here’s to hoping he doesn’t get tossed. 100 wooden nickels on the victory….

Listened to the NH show on the radio.

One thing that I didn’t care for was when he said that ‘we’ didn’t handle the situation correctly —mostly he singled out Josh Harrison. Said he should have just gone straight to first base without staring at the pitcher. (he also said that he didn’t think the Reds’ pitcher should have walked toward Harrison). I don’t think NH should have said that. Seems a little like throwing your own player under the bus.

But what I did like is that he said something like “If you take them at their word that it wasn’t intentional…”

I thought I posted this earlier today, but I think the Pirates just have to concentrate on winning today’s game. That HAS to be the focus.

Of course if they are up or down by a bunch then I won’t be upset if a Reds player takes one in the hip.

47. Cmat0829 says:

100 on the win. And stop it with all the negativity, those of you that are. The bucs have lost two tight games at the hottest teAm on the planet. They get a nice w today.

48. The Gunner says:

@ Curt – 13
    @ CD Brewer – 15

It is imperative that (1) the Bucs win today’s game and (2) upgrade the pitching, specifically the starting rotation.

49. Chico says:

100 on the win!

50. bobhasis says:

AW, I’m not complaining about Barajas catching; if you actually read my entry, I’m complaining about his hitting.

You know AW, the two points you raise in #41 are as disparate as CH’s logic in writing a lineup. No connection or continuity!

51. RobertoForever says:

@Playoffs

Gotta go 100 on the WIN. AJ is our stopper, and he has beaten the Reds the last two outings.

I vote for Hughes to come in and drill someone in the 8th, then Grilli closes out the inning. If the Reds hit ANOTHER Bucco, there has to be a brawl. Can’t keep taking that.

Maybe the BRAWL is why Clint has the lack of power against the righty lineup in.

52. Mike C. says:

I AM a Hurdle fan, and i think he’s a great for this team.
    Good rah rah guy, gives good pep talks from I heard, and makes the guys loose, confident, and play hard.
    But there is no doubt he is the typical old school manager, bad with #s and Xs&Os, too in love with bunts and steals (though he’s much improved than last year), and not the best manager of the bullpen.
    Again like today, the lineup ORDER isn’t a big problem and doesn’t make a lot of difference, but i am curious to know why he chose these substitutes over the others.
    Just wish the organization offers Hurdle a bit more analytical help and advice in planning the games.

53. bobhasis says:

CDBrewer @ #43

I didn’t dismiss anything of the sort, that we wouldn’t break .500. I merely “suggest” CH is not the MGR. of the Year

54. CDBrewer says:

@Gunner
    Who is out there to improve the rotation? Correia isn’t that bad. Problem is it is AJ then Karstens and Wandy, a fading JMac, a struggling Bedard, and a mediocre Correia.
    We need better starts from those guys. Not much out there unless we pay through the nose – you saw the price on hitters.

“I think the Pirates just have to concentrate on winning today’s game.”

Of course you’d say that. After I was practicing my inside stuff all morning, ThunderPlunk.

56. DemonDachshund says:

I’m sorry, but look at this team’s position players. For a top level team, Cutch would be a star and Walker is average to above average. Pedro and GI Jones are adequate. Fort would likely be a backup catcher.

No one else on the team would be more than a 24th or 25th best player on the bench, at best. (Right now. Yes, players have potential, but those players have not yet reached that level.)

If you want to criticize Hurdle’s job this year, I’d like to know who could’ve gotten this roster to win more than 60 games.

57. CDBrewer says:

Bob:
    I am wide open to suggestions within the league…I will admit Mattingly has done okay, but they faded a ton when Kemp went down.
    I don’t want to hear about Dusty. That staff has been healthy all year.
    Johnson in Washington? Okay, if they win that division, I could accept that, but they have a better team too, at least I think.

Who is your vote?

58. CDBrewer says:

@DD
    I wouldn’t have gone that far. AJ has been an ace and JMac was for the first half. Hammer has been great. really the staff has been good.
    I like Hurdle a lot, but I am not sure he is 25 games better than everybody.
    I will give you 10-15 with this group.
    But I agree with the underlying point -Hurdle is my vote for Mgr of Year

59. RobertoForever says:

@Arriba Wilver

I second all your posts today. Right on with your comments on Hurdle.

@cmat

Well said. A 1 run loss last night. Considering we are in a HR haven and the Reds have none from their position players, I would say our pitching has held up very well. Cutch is in a funk against the Reds this year, batting .212 for the season and 1-7 this series. Tough for any team to win on the road against top teams when their MVP is off.

60. DemonDachshund says:

@CDBrewer -

Didn’t mean 60 games for the year… Meant 60 wins right now. No manager swings a team by 20 games in a season.

bob–you gotta be kidding me. YOU claim you’re just saying Hurdle isn’t manager of the year? You’ve put a lot of keystrokes into trying to show that, including claims that he isn’t trying to win and maybe he’s starting to realize they’re in a pennant race. At least stand by your convictions. I’ll let my posts stand for themselves. Yours at #50 is nonsensical.

62. bobhasis says:

CDB@#57

I think you have offered enough possible choices; mine would be irrelevent

63. The Gunner says:

@ CD Brewer – 54

You make a very valid point about who is available. Correia deserves another shot for sure. Otherwise, I have no idea who may be available who is in the BMTIB’s price range.

Looks like the Reds are roughing up AJ a bit.

64. RobertoForever says:

Here’s a good time to plunk someone.

First base open, one out. Sets up the double play. Hit Ludwick!

65. RobertoForever says:

@The Gunner

Correia has already been announced as the spot starter for Wednesday or Thursday. So he will get his shot.

66. CDBrewer says:

@Roberto

Telling you, hitting a pitcher – or waiting for Votto – will send the loudest message to Aroldis.

67. Mike C. says:

@DemonDachshund
    I believe players win games, and good managers add 25 wins a year at best. Be thankful we don’t have the old farts like Charlie Manuel or Jim Tracy actually LOSEing games for the team.

Hurdle has helped, but batters hitting well and especially pitchers pitching well is the reason the team has won so far.

Personally, i’m a huge Maddon fan, but maybe that’s just me.

68. Keith says:

“Down goes Frazier!”

69. JRay3 says:

Needed that…AJ limits the damage now hopefully he gets into a groove. Cutch just missed one, need to get some bats going and get some pressure on Reds.

Hey. EYE own nonsensical.

Give it back.

Well. Maybe in THIS circumstance I can share it.

Cause I’m not complaining about the posting; if you actually read my entry, I’m complaining about the writing.

71. JMB says:

PRNW!!

72. Jay Jax Fl via New Castle says:

Good job Walker.

73. JRay3 says:

Good Bye! Neil Walker two run jack! Bucs lead! How bout that Bailey?

74. Reading says:

About time somebody stepped up.

75. DemonDachshund says:

HOLY BLEEP, WE HAVE A LEAD!

76. CDBrewer says:

Huge, isn’t that our first lead this series?
    Geez…

77. RobertoForever says:

And THAT is why Neil Walker is batting 5th regularly. Because he has his best stats there, and seems comfortable hitting there.

78. CDBrewer says:

Who was it they said was in front of PRNW for dingers by 2B – Maz and who?
    (dog started barking and truck went by. Grrr.)

79. Keith says:

What did we expect from “Homer” Bailey?

80. The Gunner says:

Elmer Fudd comes thru!!!!!

MikeC (#52)
    I bet Clint used his gut when making today’s lineup. And I don’t think he needs help or uses help from the FO…when it comes to his gut

82. Jay Jax Fl via New Castle says:

@CD…..I think they said JRay….

83. Keith says:

#ClintsGut

84. CDBrewer says:

@
    Thanks JJ, but I thought he tied Ray for 3rd with that one. By the way, I am not sure if that is a sign how the game has changed or how good PRNW is that he tied Ray. Ray was here for a while – and our best player – he or Pena, as I recall (no thanks on Jason Thompson).

85. bobhasis says:

Since I have offended all of the “Hurdlers” and some others with my opinions, and have been named as today’s designated pinata, let me offer my lineup for today – I’m glad we just took the lead – for further criticism;
    Presley LF
    Walker 2B
    Cutch CF
    Jones1B
    Snider RF (but he hasn’t earned anything yet)
    Fort C
    Pedro 3B
    Mercer/Harrison SS
    Since there is a righty pitching, I would want as many left-handed batters in my lineup as is feasible. But that’s just me; I could be wrong.

If we are convinced our pitching is more than adequate to very good – as I do – then we need to get him (today AJ, or them) some runs.

Now look, I’m already black and blue with verbal welts, so be considerate in your response.

I’m finished for today.

86. JRay3 says:

@ bob – the only one that I do not think should be up for debate is Rod Barajas, he is going to catch every game AJ starts as that is what AJ wants and Clint should defer to the ace of the staff on what he feels most comfortable with. I do think that Fort should start 3 out of every 5 games at minimum however.

Bailey wants no part of Cutch who has ripped him foul twice. Time to build on this lead.

87. RobertoForever says:

@CD

The Pirates 2B with the 2nd most HR’s is George Grantham with 40 HR’s. Grantham played from 1925-1931.

88. CDBrewer says:

@Bob,

Hey man, no welts from me I hope…I completely get the point about who rests on what day.
    I have McCann on my fantasy team and Gonzalez seems to play him against the lefty on Saturday nights and rest him on Sundays versus the righty. Maddening.
    I get it…
    I just think Hurdle is a good fit for what we need.

But he is not Leyland (yet).

89. CDBrewer says:

@Roberto
    THANK YOU!
    Wow, even got me era for him…thanks.

90. JRay3 says:

This series the Reds have come up with a few big 2 out RBI hits, could have really used one there. AJ just needs to mow them down.

91. RobertoForever says:

@CD

No problem. I buy my Media guide for the Buccos, every year at the first game I attend. It comes in handy about 2 or 3 times every game.

92. Keith says:

Okay – A.J. is rollling now.

93. RobertoForever says:

Reds interviewing Charlie Sheen now.

Its not what you think. Martin Sheen is from Dayton, and he and Charlie were at the game Friday when Marty Brenneman shaved his head for a children’s cancer charity and sponsors donated $50k.

Charlie decided to match the $50k donation to make the donation for kid’s cancer an even $100,000. Pretty cool thing.

94. Keith says:

Stubbs is a thorn in the side.

95. RobertoForever says:

Awwww, Keith, you had to jinx it, lol.

Darnit. Talk about a cheapie. Jones got up pretty far, because his glove came down in the beer of the guy in the front row.

96. Keith says:

He needs to get thumped.

97. Keith says:

Or the next guy up.

98. JRay3 says:

Well another HR to the little league portion of this ballpark RF. That is an out in just about every other stadium.

Bats need to start cashing in.

99. Keith says:

Hurdle must not be much of an “eye for an eye” type manager. That’s the only reason I can see that guys like McDonald and Burnett haven’t plunked anyone.

100. DemonDachshund says:

@Keith -

With the exception of the 1st inning yesterday, any HBP would have caused the pitcher to be ejected. Both benches were warned before the game today.

101. Keith says:

Big knock, Rod…

102. Keith says:

I think we need to trade one of our pitchers to Cincinnati’s next opponent simply for the reason of hitting one of their guys.

103. Keith says:

Yeah – that would be keeping our heads and playing for the long haul…

104. Keith says:

Alternately, A.J. can plunk the guy who comes up after two outs in the 7th today.

105. JMB says:

Marte PARTAY!

106. JRay3 says:

Starling Marte, trip, trip ,triple for 2 RBI’s!!!

107. Reading says:

Yesssssssssssssss!!!!!

108. RobertoForever says:

YESSSSS

That’s a Marte Partay I can dance to!!!

109. Keith says:

Woot!

Starling with standup triple—impressive.

111. Boise Bucco says:

Dang it, I didn’t get a chance to get in on the window…anybody who didn’t bet on the WIN doesn’t believe in the AJ fistpump…it’s magical this year.

MartePartay for the 4-2 lead!!! GO BUCS

112. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Nothing is more exciting than a Greg Brown call of a Trip! Trip! Triple!

I thought Tim Nevrett mentioned that both teams were warned by the ump before the game. If it is true that is why no one has been plunked

114. RobertoForever says:

What? No love for Barmes 2 for 2 day? Without his hit, there is no 2-run triple by Marte.

Barmes is the reason we are winning today. Batting .429 for the month, lol. We probably would have won if Barmes was in there last night.

115. bobhasis says:

JRay3@#86

I overlooked the fact that AJ prefers Barajas. I’d give him (AJ) whatever he asked for.

Great clutch hit by Marte. He is coming

116. Reading says:

A zero. Five more to the W.

117. Pig Legs Robinson says:

We’ve come a long way from the first hundred years of baseball when a pitcher can’t even hit a sacrifice fly to drive in a runner from third.
    I did not understand having A.J. bunt the guy over to second when he already had a guy on third with only one out.
    How about instead of having pitchers practice bunting, having them practice lifting a measly fly ball deep enough to score a runner from third?

118. JRay3 says:

@ Bob – Yeah I also think AJ prefers to wear the Black jersey’s and they allow him that as well. Typically they wear on Tuesday/Friday games, but they also wear each of his starts.

Big 1-2-3 inning for Mr. Burnett, time to tack on a few more on shaky Bailey.

Boy Cutch has nothing to show for hammering three ball today….tough break.

119. JRay3 says:

Just heard this stat on the Reds broadcast (boy I wish my extra innings would give me choice of broadcast) that the Bucs are 15-1 in last 16 games Burnett has pitched in.

Back to back knocks for Jones and Walker, opportunity to chase the Reds starter here.

120. RobertoForever says:

Jones now with 3 multi-hit games out of the last 4, and hits in 12 of the last 13 games. Solid!

121. JRay3 says:

I know that was not intentional but geez, can we see at least one Red plunked before this series ends?

122. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Ha, look at the chickens! Worried about the hot hitting Barmes.

123. RobertoForever says:

Woaaaah

Where’s the ejection! That’s BS umpiring. They can say it wasn’t on purpose, but Bailey out of gas, they leave him in for 1 more batter and he PLUNKS him?

Guess AJ can bean some dude when he is out of gas, since there are no warnings there, and there clearly were no warnings before the game.

124. DemonDachshund says:

PH Pedro for Barmes imo.

125. The Gunner says:

Elmer Fudd strikes out with the bases juiced. What a waste!

126. RobertoForever says:

Anyone else notice Walker wearing a wrist brace on his left wrist on the basepaths?

Is that normal?

127. MadTurk says:

Plunks 3 -0 Reds, Umps “ALL IN for REDS”

128. MadTurk says:

There’s go McCutchen arm out looking for he wall when he never even made the waring track.

129. Dave says:

The two hits by Barmes today probably means we’ll suffer through at least 2 more weeks of him as a starter. Free Jordy Mercer and Mike McHenry!

130. MadTurk says:

waring = warning

Good thing so far is that we are up and hopefully can score some more runs.

131. The Gunner says:

@ Dave -129

Elmer Fudd (aka Clinton Barmes) really stinks

132. JRay3 says:

That a way AJ! He has to be garnering some serious Cy Young discussion.

133. Reading says:

Zero number two.

134. RobertoForever says:

Wow, what a pitch squence by AJ. Had Heisey at 1-2. Then threw 2 straight pitches outside in the dirt. Busted Heisey back inside at the knees, and he couldn’t have hit that with a tennis racket. Strikeout to end the inning. That’s a serious professional pitcher right there. Less than 60 pitches to get through 5 innings.

135. JRay3 says:

@ RobertoForever – I know some players that slide head first into bases will wear it to help prevent a jam into the bag.

136. Pig Legs Robinson says:

People seem to love Drew Stubbs, but he’s been a .230 hitter ALL YEAR and he strikes out like CRAZY!
    He really is not much different then our own Alex Presley, though Presley strikes out way less.
    Stubbs has been a good sparkplug for the Reds. If Presley had as many at bats, their numbers would be very close.
    Compare their season side by side on baseball.reference.com and see.
    Also, Stubbs struck out 206 times last year! Incredible!

137. RobertoForever says:

I’ve already talked to Clint Hurdle. He is playing Barmes until the blog commenters get behind him, lol.

138. DemonDachshund says:

@JRay3 -

Really hope that one brutal outing in STL doesn’t cost him a shot at it. Could see him not getting votes because his ERA is too high thanks to his taking an extra hard one for the team.

139. RobertoForever says:

@JRay

Thanks for the info. Just hadn’t seen it lately and wondered if he was nursing a minor injury.

140. CDBrewer says:

@Pig Legs
    Agreed on Stubbs…thing is his power (which may be a product of the park). Scout types see Stubbs and Cameron Maybin as these 25/50 types, and they just aren’t.

141. JRay3 says:

Nice outcome to sending Marte…big opportunity for Cutch here.

142. Jay Jax Fl via New Castle says:

Cutch is due.

143. The Gunner says:

@ Roberto Forever – 137

Thanks for the good news that, unfortunately, most of us on this board already know.

144. JRay3 says:

Good grief, I really hope this wasted chances do not come back to bite us. Nine runners LOB.

145. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Stubbs only has 6 more homers than Presley, and has about 80 more plate appearances. And we know the park has added to his power. Same with doubles & triples, Stubbs has 13 & 1, Presley has 9 & 4.
    Presley could well be a better extra-base hitter than Stubbs, and he makes far more contact.

Amen JRay3, many missed opportunities so far

147. JRay3 says:

JHay with a fine defensive play to start the half inning.

148. CDBrewer says:

@Pig Legs
    LOL, I agree with you, but read the season previews. There is an annual late winter ritual of salivating over potential of Stubbs and Maybin.
    I finally gave up on Maybin this year, never really believed in Stubbs.
    Presley gets too little pub, Stubbs too much. I agree.

149. Reading says:

Three more zeroes to go.

150. Pig Legs Robinson says:

CDBrewer –
    Oh, I agree. Fantasy league pundits always talk highly of Stubbs & Maybin. Definitely Maybin has been ridiculously over-rated. They talked the same about Lastings Milledge for a long time, LOL.
    At least Stubbs has produced to a certain degree, but nothing like they always predict for him. And 200+ k’s is PLAIN SILLY for a non-homerun hitter. If it was Willie Stargell or Reggie Jackson, you could ignore it, but not from Drew Stubbs.
    Alex Presley just has the misfortune of not playing everyday, and being in a much smaller media center.

151. bobhasis says:

DD@#124

Those were my exact thoughts, and move JHay to SS. But Barmes had 2 soft – I mean Vanilla ice cream soft – meaningless singles then K’s with 3 on.

You and I don’t get paid to do something – CH gets paid to do nothing.

Pedro, day game, right handed pitcher – nah too obvious for CH to grasp

152. Reading says:

Award-winning performance.

153. The Gunner says:

In all my years of watching Pirate baseball, I thought Dick Schofield was the lousiest regular shortstop they ever had. But the current Elmer Fudd lookalike looks like the winner.

154. CDBrewer says:

Pig Legs,

I also think there is something about the way prospects are viewed versus the way they perform. Think of Walker – seen as backup corner guy.
    Sometimes guys get labeled “can’t miss” and get too long a leash, and sometimes they get labeled and don’t get a shot. JHay is one of those too.

And it is silly to have all those K’s for a speed guy. If he put 40 of those on the ground he probably beats out a few.

155. RobertoForever says:

@bobhasis.

Incorrect. Barmes had a critical single that led to a 2 out, 2-run triple by Marte. Without that single, the game is still tied. Criticize his .210 average, but don’t make up facts.

156. Reading says:

Would not even use the Hammer today. Let Burnett finish it.

157. JRay3 says:

WOW four pitch inning for AJ, this has the making of a CG effort from the Ace today!

@ DemonDaschund – #138…you and me both but on the bright side he has is ERA at very respectable 3.23 to go with 13-3 record I hope would get attention.

158. RobertoForever says:

Pitchy, dog, pitchy

159. DemonDachshund says:

@Roberto -

Just pointing out that you just suggested playing Barmes over Cutch.

Sure you aren’t Barmes’ agent?

160. RobertoForever says:

74 pitches thru 7 IP. Wow. Talk about efficient. And the Reds are flailing, lol.

161. RobertoForever says:

@Demon

I did nothing of the kind. What are you 22′s substitute today?

162. Reading says:

I’m hoping that the shot of KC in the pen was just for laughs.

163. JRay3 says:

Well that is the fourth hit batsman this series…I guess the Reds have some of the worst control amongst MLB pitchers. Marte needs to take off early here and get into scoring position.

164. bobhasis says:

RF pay attention; Barmes swings simply to make contact and avoid K’s and .212 tells you they drop in once in a while. He can’t drive the ball – to use your noted comparison – the way Cutch does. When he tries to drive the ball, a bases loaded K occurs.

I know you weren’t comparing Barmes to Cutch!! Were you?

165. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Today, Starling Marte is in his 10th big league game.
    I know it’s a tiny & misleading sample size, but averaging out some of his numbers for his first 10 games into a 150 games, and he has 15 triples & 30 homers with 90 RBI.

More important is that he is not the hitter he WILL be yet. He’s just scratching the major league surface, and hasn’t developed the full confidence he’ll eventually have.

166. JMB says:

Horrible call!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m thinking we got jobbed again, lets see the replay, what a horrible call, missed him by 6 inches

168. JRay3 says:

Are you kidding me? This crew freaking is an embarrassment….Brian Gorman should not be a MLB umpire, horrific!

169. RobertoForever says:

And you keep forgetting, I am Garret Jones’ agent

170. Reading says:

Somebody needs to attend a refresher course at the Wendelstedt Umpire School.

171. The Gunner says:

Like I said last night, this Brian Gorman is a real horse’s ass

172. JRay3 says:

Have not got one call this series UNREAL! AJ just needs to finish this off, make a statement here.

173. McG says:

Wow what a call…is that Jerry meals on third?

174. DemonDachshund says:

Maybe Jerry Meals wasn’t so bad…

175. T.S. says:

Nice non-tag out call by Brian Gory Goreman. This dude needs to get an earful from the umps association after this weekend.

Sometimes if the ball beats the player to the base, they get the call, this one was ridiculous.

I bet we get a “sorry” from Budmeister

BTW, THANK YOU YANKEES ;-)

177. Kevin says:

Unbelievable – just unbelievable…

178. T.S. says:

And umps are constantly out of position in this game and throughout every season. Horrible out calls. He should be positioned on the line closer to home to get the angle.

179. RobertoForever says:

Congrats Clint, for keeping your cool there. I would have gotten my money’s worth!

180. radio wave says:

9vs. 13
    Bucs vs. reds and blue.

181. T.S. says:

X-man!

182. DemonDachshund says:

@Roberto -

“And if you want to exchange Harrison for someone hitting meaningless singles, try McCutchen. 0 HR and 1 RBI since July 18th. Barmes, 1 HR and 5 RBI since July 18.”

You obviously didn’t mean it, but you DID say it. Unless the word “exchange” has some meaning I’m not familiar with…

183. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Gorman ought to be the biggest opponent of instant replay. It will only serve to show how terrible he is at his job.

184. T.S. says:

Is it me or does this dude have a fake goatee. Just doesn’t look real.

185. JRay3 says:

The Pirates should ensure Brian Gorman does not work another one of our series.

AJ with another sit em down inning 16 in a row…boy what a difference it makes having a shut down ace of the staff.

186. bobhasis says:

For those of us who needed a few K’s by Grilli and The Hammer – FORGET ABOUT IT.

We’re going CG all the way

187. T.S. says:

Complete game win by A.J comin’ up.

188. diehard says:

Brian Gorman has screwed up (blatantly, clearly) a call against the same team in 3 straight games. One time can called a bad call (like Jerry Meals), twice you can question his ability, three days in a row? Gorman’s integrity and ability are in question.
    Of course, if the Pirates make the one game wild card, Meals Gorman will be assigned to the game.

189. Reading says:

I’m thinking the third-base ump was absent the day they taught tag outs at Ump School.

190. CDBrewer says:

Um, we have a real stopper.
    And he loves the organization!
    Can we extend him 2 years (from whenever) immediately after this game?

191. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Nady?

Paul was not the true X-Man, Nady was.

192. RobertoForever says:

@Demon,

At no point did I say that Barmes should play in front of Cutch. They don’t even play the same position. The first sentence talks about Harrison and Cutch. Barmes isn’t mentioned in the sentence. Wow talk about parsing.

193. Reading says:

The third-base ump just applied to ref Olympic Badminton in Rio.

194. T.S. says:

Is that Mario pitching?

195. Pig Legs Robinson says:

I’m all for signing A.J. beyond next year for how ever much he wants…and then making him a coach when he retires.

196. T.S. says:

Cutch—eeee-cooooo!

197. Reading says:

Back on Track!!!!

198. Jay Jax Fl via New Castle says:

Way to go Cutch……

199. JRay3 says:

CUTCH says BOMB. streak over!

200. Boise Bucco says:

I can’t wait to watch the replay of this game.

AJ FOR CY YOUNG

201. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Bombs Away for Cutch!!

202. RobertoForever says:

CUTCH! FINALLY!

He should have walked around the bases.

203. T.S. says:

Clint better not get all formulaic and bring in Hanny. No offense to Hanny.

204. Kevin says:

@Roberto –

Totally agree…lol.

205. JRay3 says:

With that HR Cutch ties his season high total in career with 23rd HR.

206. CDBrewer says:

Just asking…will AJ get the first 2 in the 9th and then plunk a guy just to show Cutch?

207. RobertoForever says:

Brian Gorman is a horse’s ass. But to be fair, it was Bob Davidson who Jerry Meal’ed us on Friday. Not Brian Gorman.

208. JRay3 says:

@ CD Brewer – I just was thinking the same thing, that would be awesome.

209. RobertoForever says:

@CDBrewer

That’s what I would do. Especially because batter #3 will be Jay Bruce!

210. JMB says:

nice lil seeing eye single

211. CDBrewer says:

@JRay

And Hanny’s warming up…
    Hello rivalry.

212. Boise Bucco says:

@CDBrewer–

haha, if he got tossed after 8 2/3, he could coin it the “AJ complete game” a la the Gordie Howe hat trick.

213. JMB says:

back to back see’ers

214. Pig Legs Robinson says:

No offense to Rod, but would have loved to see Michael McKenry batting here.

215. RobertoForever says:

Pirates now have 15 hits. Most hits allowed by Reds pitching this year – 16.

216. diehard says:

RF – On the Friday’s inside the park HR Davidson had rotated from home to third and Gorman from 1st to home on the play – it WAS Gorman that missed that call. (Had to watch the replay severak times to figure out how that happened. 2nd base ump moves towards outfield for the catch call, 3rd goes to 2nd, etc.)

217. T.S. says:

Don’t need Hanny. Let A.J. take care of biz.

218. Jay Jax Fl via New Castle says:

Come on Barajas!!!!!

219. bobhasis says:

We need another run so Hammer sits down

220. Boise Bucco says:

Yeah, let AJ finish the game, he’s getting an extra day off next week anyway. He’s not scheduled to pitch again ’til next Saturday.

221. JMB says:

thru the wickets!

222. RobertoForever says:

Haha – Barajas comes thru for AJ. Now he can stay in since its a non-save situation.

223. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Keep it going! Give them something to remember us by til next time.

224. diehard says:

Get Hanrahan warm so Burnett has backup just in case he decides to drill someone in the 9th!

225. CDBrewer says:

@Bob

I think it is a little fishy Hanny is up…maybe even, premeditated.

226. RobertoForever says:

@diehard,

You earned your nickname there. Didn’t pick up on that.

227. Boise Bucco says:

HOT ROD!!!

bob–you run for cover when challenged (#85) but can’t help yourself, can you? Good for you, at least you’re sticking with what you think. Don’t worry that your Hurdle criticisms make you look like a horses’s patoot. How in the world can we be up 6-2 with Clint’s lineup today?

229. T.S. says:

I hope A.J. hits someone just so we can all hear Dusty Dumbarse shoot off his mouth post game.

230. The Gunner says:

Elmer Fudd does it again.

231. JMB says:

At least Barmes didn’t get a Golden Sombrero.

232. T.S. says:

Arriba, take it a little easy on bob. He’s not 22. :)

233. RobertoForever says:

Yeah, a 2 for 5 day while your team is winning 6-2. What a terrible day.

Geez, never heard people trying to beat up on a player on their own winning team. Must be what the Yankees fans did to AJ Burnett in NY.

234. bobhasis says:

AW why did you wait until now to gloat?

235. diehard says:

@RF – Thanks, though I’ll admit, I missed it the first time – my wife picked it up, I just thoroughly reviewed it!

236. Boise Bucco says:

So, out of the un-official PBC blogs, one of them needs to write a piece on how home-field advantage plays a part in Pirates v. Reds. In just this series, we’ve seen quite a few HR’s that definitely wouldn’t have been HR’s in PNC, and besides that, Heisey’s inside-the-park jobbie, Rolen’s triple, etc., that would’ve been cans of corn.

237. RalphM says:

If AJ hits someone now, can he blame a wet ball?

238. Reading says:

Padres were up by two in the 9th a couple of times. I wouldn’t mess around here. Drill somebody next time. Get the W.

239. bobhasis says:

I’m sorry AW you were bloviating

240. Reading says:

Come on Man!!!! Ring that guy up!!!

241. RobertoForever says:

Should have PLUNKED Bruce. Same result.

242. JMB says:

Agreed

243. RobertoForever says:

@diehard.

I took pictures of the HD screen and put them on my facebook page. So I just went there and sure enough, it was Gorman. Nice work by the missus.

244. T.S. says:

Clint probably told the team “Let’s be the bigger men in this.” Translation: Don’t hit anyone. Boo.

245. JMB says:

Hammer time

bob–sorry, had errands to run. And T.S., when it comes to Hurdle, bob IS 22.

247. Reading says:

Well, here we go. Maybe the third base ump can delay the game for an hour.

248. RobertoForever says:

Damn! I wanted back-to-back CG’s for AJ.

249. Jay Jax Fl via New Castle says:

AJ is a freakin’ monster. Nails for breakfast. Those first 2 pitches were strikes. BS. Hanny may give us a hit batter coming in with a wet ball….Shut it down!!!!

250. T.S. says:

Hanny can’t afford to throw at anyone here. Just finish the game.

251. diehard says:

Can we get a break on the strike zone? 4 of the first 5 pitches were in the zone, the other was borderline. Those are computer called strike, yes. 4 run game on a Sunday afternoon, bottom of the 9th, in the rain – those are usually automatic.

252. Boise Bucco says:

That’s still a helluva game pitched for AJ…3-hitting the best team in the NL is great work. Hanny’s gotta shut the door now.

253. Reading says:

Do not walk anybody! Let’s get out of here!

254. DemonDachshund says:

I’d argue that those were close pitches for AJ, but the Reds have been getting 6 extra inches on the plate all weekend.

I wonder how much an umpiring crew costs for a weekend…

255. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Umps squeeze Burnett again. He doesn’t get any breaks from them, ever.

256. RobertoForever says:

A little 98 mph high cheese! Go get em Hammer!

257. JRay3 says:

Behind the dominant 8.2 Innings of AJ Burnett who is now 14-3. the Bucs belt out 15 hits and make a statement in the third game of the road series with the Reds winning 6-2 and there was nooooooooooo doubt about it!

With the win the Bucs move back to 15 games above .500 and within 4.5 games of the Reds in the Central and are 3 up in the WC standings.

The Pirates head home for an 11 game home stand beginning tomorrow night with the Arizona DIamondbacks with Erik Bedard toeing the rubber in the opener.

Big win today, Let’s Go Bucs!

258. T.S. says:

JRay, Lanny gone. Raise the Jolly.

259. T.S. says:

And that my friends, is all she wrote.

260. Boise Bucco says:

RAISE IT

261. RobertoForever says:

Raise it!!

Series had a 1-game impact on the standings. AJ is the STOPPER! Come on home guys, and let’s get a winning streak going.

262. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Umps tried to delay the inevitable, but the Prates can’t be stopped.
    A.J. is Cy Young in 2012!

263. Raise it! Go Bucs! Go Hurdle! Go A.J.! The carpers
    and moaners who seem to have crawled out of the woodwork after missing the last 20 seasons feel the lash of Pirate victory yet again.

264. Kevin says:

Awesome win today!! As I said last night…A LOT of baseball left! We’ll get those games back

Thanks to bobh for suggesting to Clint he have AJ pitch today instead of Bedard. :-)

266. Pig Legs Robinson says:

Writers won’t give A.J. the Cy Young Award even if he has the best numbers, just out of sheer embarrassment over their own shortsightedness in slamming him. That is the sad fact.

267. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The WIN…..wins in today’s line. The UNDER wins in the Grilli/Hanrahan line.

****Please let me know if you all like the PICK ‘EM line to be a once or twice a week feature or would you all prefer I stay with just OVER/UNDER. Whatever the mob decides I will go with. Thanks.****

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    Stickyweb ** -425
    Kevin S ** -500
    bob hasis ** -550
    Boise Bucco ** -600
    TDB1977 ** -1140

268. Pig Legs Robinson says:

That game against St. Louis where A.J. stayed in the game and absorbed the 12 earned runs was nothing new for him. He has sacrificed his own numbers for the sake of the team throughout his career. Managers have happily taken advantage of his team-player mentality often. There is no doubt his career ERA should be far lower, and it’s a deceptive stat in his case.

269. I notice that AJ didn’t hit any batsmen, but he felt especially free, I thought, to pitch a foot or two inside, and did so to good effect. A wily and honorable vet. Can’t say enough about that man.

270. Boise Bucco says:

AJ’s got about 10 starts left this season to prove that he deserves the Cy Young. We all know that he does, he’s just gotta show that St. Louis didn’t mean a thing and it was a complete outlier.

271. Pig Legs Robinson says:

T.S –
    Lanny may be gone, but there was still NOOOOOOOOOOOO DOUBT ABOUT!!!

272. Pig Legs Robinson says:

IT!!!

@Playoffs

Its up to you, diversity is a good thing

But if you are really going to do what the mob sez

DON’T LEAVE us, ever

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but IF we get to the post-season, I like our chances. With AJ we have a legit #1, and with JMac, Wandy and Karsty, I would like our chances.

Mora?

275. LuckyNKentucky says:

Great game and great series! 11-game HS coming. Go Bucs!

276. RobertoForever says:

@Playoffs

I like the change of pace with the Pick ‘em. But I can go with straight o/u as well. If its not too much work, throw in a pick ‘em here and there.

Thanks again for the hard work.

Fantasy League on Yahoo

Dejan’s Lunatics

Password is 1203

278. Playoffs, trust your inner bookie/marketer. It’s a genius :-)

279. Pig Legs Robinson says:

A.J. Burnett is as much an MVP to this team as Cutch is. No way would they be contending without him. Not just on his great numbers too. The high spirit of the team would not exist.
    No matter what the writers vote for at the end of the year, we know who deserves MVP & Cy Young. I only would give A.J. Cy Young because Cutch should get MVP. I would give A.J. second place in the MVP voting though. He deserves to be Co-MVP actually. I just don’t like Co-MVP ever since the writers tried to screw Willie Stargell out of the award by tieing him with Keith Hernandez, who was in no way nearly as valuable 1979.

280. @PigLegs there’s a synergy there, Cutch the super talented kid, AJ the under-appreciated vet from the Yankees. You could build a team around those 2. Oh wait…the PBC is.

281. bobhasis says:

AW thanks for the recognition @266; I try to help wherever I can.

Now if only he will pay attention to my lineup @#85 for tomorrow, we’ll get off to a good start on the homestand.

But alas, he won’t. He has a different mind set than i do

282. jeffsbar says:

@Playoffs

Even though I didn’t get a fake wager in today, I like the Pick ‘em idea. One or two a week would be great.

Thank you again for all your hard work. It is appreciated.

283. Karen22 says:

I truly hope the Pirates file a formal complaint against the umpiring crew in this series (Gorman in particular)—from the blatant missed calls on the bases, to the mishandling of the “warning” situations when WE hit NO ONE and four Pirates were plunked, to the insane, non-strike zone. Absolutely NO excuses for any of this. Thank God we overcame the garbage today. We’re going to have to fight for every win from here on out—zero respect from the forces that be.

284. @ Karen22, yep. The Pirate plunking, and ump warning, was ridoculous.

bob—one can only be heartened by the fact Clint doesn’t have your mind set. His has this team 15 games over .500.

22—it’s rare to have as clear evidence of a missed call as the one at 3rd on Marte.

286. JRay3 says:

@ Playoffs – I am happy with whatever you decide, but today’s pick ‘em was a lot of fun! Thanks as always and Go Bucs!

287. @bobhasis, bite me.

Stinkbugs are everywhere on the blog

289. Milo66 says:

Go Bucs!

No, Biz. I’ve been off for awhile.

Wait. I’m back. So yes. We are.

291. bobhasis says:

OM I was under the impression this blog had a credo of dignity.

What is troubling you today?

(This is too easy. And just a bit mean…)

You?

bob—there are a couple of people here who like to make over the top provocative statements about certain aspects of the Bucs. You choose to make ridiculous unsupportable statements about Hurdle. When people react to that, you should try to back it up or admit you’re wrong. Instead, you attack the people who disagree with you. It has nothing to do with “dignity.”. Certainly not on your part,

bob must be single.

cause i have to admit i’m wrong every single stinking day.