Final: Dodgers 9, Pirates 3

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (64-52) vs. Los Angeles Dodgers (64-53)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the live box score.

And here is the Pirates’ lineup vs. Los Angeles LHP Clayton Kershaw

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  5. Michael McKenry, C
  6. Garrett Jones, RF
  7. Josh Harrison, 3B
  8. Jordy Mercer, SS
  9. Wandy Rodriguez, LHP

Oh, and for those who missed Melky Cabrera getting suspended 50 games, here’s that.

Cabrera has a .346 average, second in the NL to McCutchen’s .359. Cabrera has 501 plate appearances. You need 3.1 plate appearances per each of your team’s games to qualify for the batting title. Cabrera’s total amounts to 161.6 San Francisco games. Round that up, and he qualifies.

What will Major League Baseball do if he ends up as batting champion despite clearly cheating?

And how unfair would that be to McCutchen?

UPDATE 4:05 p.m.: For more clarity: A player needs 502 plate appearances over his team’s 162 games. Cabrera has 501. If the Giants somehow play less than 162 games — rainouts not made up, etc. — he qualifies for title. They’re in race for first (and wild card) right now, so that looks unlikely. But it’s still not impossible. He still could be batting champ after being busted for — and apparently — admitting he cheated.

What will MLB do?

And was this timing at 501 coincidence?

There’s also the remarkable case of Tony Gwynn being granted “hitless at-bats” to win a batting title. It’s in the rules. A player can be granted enough “hitless at-bats” to qualify for the title, so long as his average would still be the league’s best even with those zeroes.

Amazing.

Comments

1. Dave says:

Nice to see Hurdle actually run his best lineup out there today with the exception of KDro sitting out and Sanchez in the lineup.

In case you missed it early,

Cabrera done

MLB ‏@MLB
    BREAKING: Giants OF Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games without pay after testing positive for Testosterone, a performance-enhancing substance.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
    Cabrera takes responsibility in statement. “My positive test was the result of my use of a substance that I should not have used.”

3. Reading says:

Bud will just have to invoke a little known codicil of the MLB charter and impose a “double secret Testosterone scoring adjustment” subtracting all hits resulting in a batting average of point zero zero zero for Mr. Melky.

4. Greg says:

I hope they don’t hit it to right field!

Starling Marte, LF
    Neil Walker, 2B
    Andrew McCutchen, CF
    Gaby Sanchez, 1B
    Michael McKenry, C
    Garrett Jones, 1B
    Josh Harrison, 3B
    Jordy Mercer, SS
    Wandy Rodriguez, LHP

Reading–yeah, I don’t think theres much/any worry that Melky would get the batting title, no matter what the rules say.

Dumb, just plain dumb…

Snider is on the pine???!! WTH!?>???
    Yeah, let’s just bat Sanchez ::bangs head against desk::

Wait, how does that work?? Gaby and Jones BOTH at first?

I think Snider’s hammy is still an issue, but reports are he’s still cute.

Dare I say that Cabrera’s statement was…refreshing?

Call it the Ryan Braun effect. I actually came away from reading the Cabrera news with a bit of respect. At least he didn’t lie to the world and blame his awful judgement on an innocent man, right?

AW, lol…bite me :p

NMR–agree 100%.

NMR, you have a very astute point there and I agree with you. Even tho Cabrera is rather dumb…he at least TOOK RESPONSIBILITY for his actions.

Maybe I should get hired as the Pirate’s Masseuse and see if I can help Snider out ;)

OK guys, gotta close up some paperwork, then get moving home. Maybe catch you at game time. C’mon Bucs, let’s turn this around! Win tonight!

16. LuckyNKentucky says:

Reading,

Dean Wormer has spoken.

17. Cmat0829 says:

LETs GO BUCS. Time to scratch out a W against a tough pitcher.

Jones obviously in right–just the terror of templates–same that happens to me if I neglect to change the url for the morning links song. Got an interesting one for Idaho tomorrow

19. Reading says:

I had a second Animal House reference during the game thread yesterday when calling Kershaw “Clayton Jugdish.” This was a little more overt.

That is the way to handle scandal in the 21st century, Melky. My guess is that your mea culpa, and the public’s likely favorable reaction to it, will be remembered more than the deed. Finally, someone has learned that the cover up is almost always worst than the crime.

21. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Today’s PICK ‘EM (always for fun of course)

What Will Clayton Kershaw Get In Tonight’s Game?
    WIN
    LOSS
    NO DECISION
    (All you have to do is pick one and make a “fake” wager)

*** MAXIMUM IS 100 (FAKE) UNITS ON ANY SINGLE LINE ***

22. Sisyphus says:

Dejan, you’re wrong. If the Giants play all 162, any Giant must have 502 plate appearances to qualify for the batting championship.

162 x 3.1 = 502.2

You worked the equation backwards.

23. LuckyNKentucky says:

John,

Your use of Latin always comes at the right time. The part of Wisconsin where Braun lives must consider that a really dead language.

MLB ought to establish a condition that any player suspended for substance abuse during the season is ineligible for titles and awards. Further, the rule should state that if the prohibited behavior is not determined until after the season, the award should go to the second place vote getter.

25. Chico says:

@playoffs…

Hate to say it, but 100 on the win for Kershaw. Hope I’m wrong…

You are an evil man, Playoffs, an evil man. So we have to show our “true fan” bonafides?. OK, you’re not “evil,” just astute.

I’ll go with 10 on the LOSS. (yes, that’s 10—I’m a fan, not crazy)

Lucky:

Sometimes that dead language has the perfect phrase. Guess that is why it endures even after its death. :)

28. LuckyNKentucky says:

Sisyphus,

The man’s an award-winning columnist, not a math wiz. Cut him a break. 8)

29. LuckyNKentucky says:

John,

You are so right!

30. Cmat0829 says:

100 confidence conveying FUs on the loss for sir Clayton tonight.

31. Let’s hope the Pirates’ pennant race chances are not like Latin!!!

@Playoffs:

I have not dipped my toes into Playoff’s pond for awhile but I will go 50 on the NO DECISION.

That being said, and risking the wrath of “true Pirate fans” everywhere, Clayton Kershaw is probably my favorite athlete to watch perform in any sport.

33. pattonbb says:

Playoffs – My heart says Kershaw will take a beating tonight. Unfortunately, my head says if he stays away from Jones, he might have an easy night.

*sigh*….100 units on Kershaw getting a Win.

Hope I’m wrong….really hope I’m wrong.

If the “true” Pirate fans and “passionate” Pirates fans can coexist within one blog, then there is hope for humanity after all.

Shame on Playoffs for stirring the pot with this line. :)

In keeping with my stance of emphatically not taking either side, I choose to abstain from wagering this evening.

Any HONORABLE Pirates fan would do the same…

35. Boise Bucco says:

@22, what’s the Bucs record with PRNW in the 2nd spot in the order? :) haha I’m keepin’ track for the rest of the season now!

Ok, hypothetical question, kinda carried over from the last thread: Say Melky was in the lead for the batting title right now, and it wasn’t even close, say it was by like 20 points. And by the end of the year, he still had enough AB’s to qualify, and he still led.

Would he be awarded the batting title? Because we’ve seen baseball not wipe stats out based on past steroid use, so it makes me wonder.

@NMR:

Oh no, now there are three subclasses to Pirate fandom: true, passionate and honorable?

37. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The Window doesn’t take sides.
    The Window is nether evil or kind.
    The Window never stirs pots.
    The Window just uses and plays the numbers.
    The Window wishes everyone good luck.

38. Kevin says:

100 on the WIN please. As much as I hate that…

Playoffs—I noticed you didn’t deny the Window was “astute.”

40. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The Window is both humble and lucky.

41. twentytwo22 says:

Hi Boise,

31-17 batting 2nd
    25-20 batting 5th

His individual numbers batting 5th are better. The team played its best when they had 4 Jones-5 McGehee-6 Alvarez, that explains why the team record is what it is. I like having Walker getting more plate appearances. I also prefer having one young player at the top instead of two. It’s a matter of preference. You can make a case for Walker batting in either position.

42. Boise Bucco says:

Well, let’s see…PRNW’s batting 2nd, Fort batting 5th, CH finally let Mercer come up from the basement, and Wandy’s gotta get a win for the Bucs sometime…oh yeah and GFJ is on strike from anything that isn’t a double. (Personally I’d bat Gabbie behind GFJ for just that reason, but that’s just me)

…it’s not like my winning percentage is gonna get any better anyway, and I just might be the only person who bets against Kershaw today.

@Playoffs–gimme 100 on Kershaw LOSING.

Interesting. The Giants wouldn’t be where they are without Cabrerra. So if you are his teammate how angry are you for cheating AND getting caught?

I don’t like cheaters.

44. Boise Bucco says:

@22, I knew you’d come through with the records! Haha honestly, I think it’s just a luck thing with me at this point. I think I just started noticing that they were winning more with him batting second, but at the same time, that game where he went 5-5 I’m pretty sure that he was batting 5th.

45. twentytwo22 says:

I’m also not afraid of having 3 lefties batting in a row. They had that in 1990 – 5 Bonds-6 Bream-7 Lavalliere. When Tabata gets back they will have him and Sanchez available to PH.

46. AJS says:

Twenty Two is really sold on Tabata having turned it around. I for one could care less if that mopy lazy older than he admits sak of crap ever played in the Burgh again.

@John

Technically you’re missing the fourth: dumb yinzer.

This fan can be heard questioning why Don Slaught isn’t starting over Rod Barajas and calling Andrew McCutchen a wimp for not clothes-lining Aroldis Chapman. This fan is no longer in any Bucco conversations because his spare time is spent charting Todd Haleys new offensive scheme dahn ehr’n Luhtrobe.

48. Boise Bucco says:

If Tabata could hit for average, I could care less if he lied about his age. I’m pretty sure there’s an out clause in MLB contracts now for specifically that situation. If he ever gets back to where he was last year, by all means come on back up. But if he keeps hitting .235 or whatever he was hitting when he got sent to AAA, he can just stay there.

49. Has there been a line-up all year that had neither Barajas nor Barmes starting?

Oh my! Oh my! Oh my! Who are we going to blame if the Pirates lose?!?

Wandy! That’s it: Wandy!! And then, Neal Huntington, for obtaining Wandy!

I feel better now that I have figured it out.

50. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I like this lineup…….especially against a LHP.

How about The Fort batting in the 5 hole??

Not where I would put him everyday, but……..for a LHP, I would.

51. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

And Melky Cabrera won’t be winning the batting title anyways.

Yes, Cutch’s numbers have dropped, but .372 for a whole season? No way dude

He will win both, the batting title and MVP.

NMR:

That is always great stuff when you write in the Yinzer dialect. Enjoy it. Especially since I live in an area with its own unique language. Think a variation on Sheriff Marge Gunderson from Fargo.

My favorite around here is the adding of the superfluous “or no? to questions, e.g. “Are you going to the store? Or no?” Venture a little north of here to the UP and “the” becomes “da” and you are quickly scurrying for the English/Yooper translation book!

53. Oshkosh b’gosh,

Are you still bringing the family to the Burgh next week to take in a game at PNC?

54. twentytwo22 says:

They need to find their game. If they can go 2-3 in the next 5 they can hit that San Diego in better frame of mind than last weekend. Then offday. Then another homestand.

I got depressed watching one pigslop game after another. That Cabrera news was a bolt of lightning to me. I checked the standings and they’re 12 over. They’re season-high is 16 over. It’s not too late to find themselves. As quickly as the energy left it can return.

Playoffs, 100 on lose

This will be a wacky season, look at who’s on the mound, look at our lineup, he should easily get the win.

We beat Cy Young tonight

BEAT EM BUCS

56. If Pirates are going to win this game tonight, it will not be because of the Fort or Mercer or the hitters in general.

It will be because of Wandy! It will be because Wandy pitches well and the fielders catch the ball!

Hey Groat:

Thanks for asking. No, it fell through. I had it all planned. Then my work got busy in June and July and my wife’s work got unexpectedly busy in August (she is in Aspen this week-poor child). Settled for a few extended weekend trips to areas around here. Did see Target Field at least. Hard to believe but I had to register the kids for school today. As God is my witness, I’ll get there next summer and we can meet!

58. RobertoForever says:

Didn’t think I had seen this on my quick glance today, but AJ Burnett called a players only meeting before BP today. I believe that is the first player-called meeting this year. Hope some renewed fire out of it.

Also PTI with a Pirates topic on Oddsmaker. Negative, of course. What’s the odds the Pirates miss the playoffs. Wilbon said 95%. Guest host JA Adande said 70%.

Didn’t they read DK’s column today??

59. radio wave says:

At playoffs:
    75 on no decision.
    Thanks

60. RobertoForever says:

@Playoffs

I think the Pirates had a chance to beat Kershaw, but having enough run support while keeping the runs scored down seems lessened by putting out the B team., especially with a day game tomorrow. Moving around the two hottest hitters (Jones/Walker) can certainly change their approach at the plate, and maybe cool them off.

But I still think the Bucs have a chance tonight. So I will go 25 units on the LOSS for Kershaw. Color me a REALISTIC Pirates fan.

61. RobertoForever says:

Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez pitching a perfect game in the 9th inning with 1 out against the Rays in Seattle.

62. RobertoForever says:

1st perfect game completed for Seattle. 12 K’s.

63. Oshkosh b’gosh,

Missing me———no biggie!

Missing the Bucs in the Land of Milk and Honey called PNC———huge huge biggie!!

Don’t you love your kids?

Geez! Hard to believe it’s almost time to start school!

64. I have deigned not to play the betting game this year.

However:
    1/ I applaud Playoffs by Forever’s line today

2/ I stand up and applaud all of you who have put Pirate allegiance above personal gain (even imaginary gain) and have picked Muleface Kershaw to lose.

Any who chose today imaginary personal gain above staying “true to your Bucco team” are, to quote NMR, DUMB YINZER FANS!!!! You belong on the Pay-per-View blog!!

DK: You still paying, Groat?

65. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I can’t bet this line.

I know Kershaw is going to get the W, but I can’t bring myself to putting a wager on it because I really don’t want it to happen.

“Muleface”

Rarely do I laugh out loud at my laptop but….

67. pattonbb says:

Well, I bet today’s line, and I bet that Kershaw gets a W.

It should be noted, that I’ve been getting waxed lately with these lines, so I’m pretty confident my wager will result in a Bucco victory.

And if that doesn’t work, I just returned home from New Orleans and brought a couple “souvenirs” home with me. One of which is a little white doll that I’ve already drawn a Dodgers jersey on. Lets see what happens when I stick this little pin in it.

68. DK,

I read Smizik and Gene Collier and the game stories. That still is my daily hold-in-my-hands newspaper. I will never give that up.

My heart belongs to you!

DK: That warms my heart, Groat. But I wasn’t asking that. Was wondering if you were still paying for blog.

69. Boise Bucco says:

Aww Ryan, it’s ok, bet on Kershaw losing like me….at the end of the year maybe we’ll get asterisks next to our names signifying us as “true” or “honorable” Pirate fans…
    ;)

70. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

And the No-Duh statement of the evening goes to this:

“Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

71. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

BB

I can’t. I don’t want to……..so you can’t make me…….LOL

72. JMB says:

@Playoffs

100 on WIN

73. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@DK

I paid one month for the “pay-to-play” site…….didn’t like it. Then you left…….didn’t see the point.

74. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

JHay in field, is never a good thing

75. Reading says:

Somebody needs to call a “Players-only” Meeting ASAP!

Ugh-do not give Muleface runs.

77. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@Reading

Probably not a good idea to do during the game.

Crap I’m on radio-how bad does Walker look

79. Chico says:

Bad. He’s still down. Groin.

80. Chico says:

Or right arm/collar bone.

81. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

what happened?

82. Boise Bucco says:

NOOOOOOOOOO

83. DK,

I never posted another comment on PBC after it went $. My own personal protest! (Donald Fehr is my hero!) I did not believe that if I was a paying customer for the hands-on daily Post-Gazette, the bread-and-butter for the organization, that I should have to pay another time to comment or participate in discussions with their focused employees already drawing a salary.

I continued to check in and frequently read, since it was broken all the time and let me in——but I never commented again.

84. Chico says:

Stepped on the bag then fell down to avoid the runner. Landed funny and looked badly hurt.

85. Boise Bucco says:

SON OF A…

AJ, can you play 2nd? PLEASE SAY YOU CAN

86. Reading says:

Not good. Think I remember Pitt QB Cavanaugh breaking his wrist falling on it being tackled. Hopefully it is not that serious.

87. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

So has he left the game?

Thanks Chico.

Not many left on the Pirate bench. Lets hope they stay healthy for rest of game.

89. poz says:

Did not look good. Trainer carrying Walker’s arm off to avoid movement.

90. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

So, according to gamecast, Pedro came in at 3rd and they moved JHay to 2nd….

Ug.

Ryan

He is out. Alvarez to third. Harrison over to 2

92. Boise Bucco says:

Holy crap, Pedro’s in the 2-spot in the lineup

93. Reading says:

@Ryan

Walker is out of the game, J-Hay shifted to second, Pedro off the bench to third.

94. poz says:

Oh – with Walker attached to it.

95. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Thanks everybody…..

Talk me down! I’m officially starting to panic.

97. Reading says:

Maybe with Cutch behind him, Pedro will get some good pitches to look at.

98. poz says:

Well maybe they rise up and do something. But with all the references to songs here, I’m thinking, “when the walls come….”

99. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

@John

Its OK.

That’s all I got…….

100. poz says:

Can’t talk you down when we R on the ledge with you.

101. Bill Born says:

Please keep we who are out of town up-dated.

102. Reading says:

The talk down: This is a season to be enjoyed.

103. Boise Bucco says:

holy sh—-

None of PRNW’s lucky spot in the order rubbed off on Pedro AT ALL

104. Chico says:

Alvarez went down on three pitches. Looked awful.

105. Reading says:

I think Marte got jammed with a call that appeared to curve into the right hand batter’s box. Pedro, well that was the usual.

106. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

Talking ya down.

Its only the 1st inning………..

Hmm, according to Gamecast…every pitch was down and away to Cutch……..

And he rolls one over to SS. Look the same on TV as it did on Gamecast?

107. Reading says:

You always read how a guy comes off the bench cold and then plays lights out. And then there is our game tonight.

108. Boise Bucco says:

haha and not for nothing, but remember how back in the early 90′s the Bucs pitching staff wore that t-shirt that Ray Miller had made for everybody that said, “Work fast, throw strikes” and it was like their mantra? It’s seriously like Ray Miller programmed Kershaw programmed Kershaw just for this inning. I think he threw like one single ball, and it was just to Cutch, just to show a little respect…

109. Reading says:

Walker- disclocated finger of the right hand (unspecified finger) according to Brown.

110. Bill Born says:

Dallas McPherson is playing 3rd base for Indianapolis tonight.

111. Boise Bucco says:

Well, we could use another starting pitcher…PRNW to the DL, call up a starter from Indy?

112. T.S. says:

I bet Chase D comes up.

113. Chico says:

Dislocated finger on the right hand.

114. Work Fast
    Change Speeds
    Throw Strikes

115. Bill Born says:

Thanks for the Walker news…
    Hope it can be adjusted and he can be back soon…

116. Boise Bucco says:

@Groat–yeah, that one.

Thanks, guys. I’ve come down. Maybe it will limited to a 15 day stint. Can weather through that. And enjoy it.

118. poz says:

P-Dog catches this line drive (as opposed to last night)…..now the rally starts!!!!

119. Boise Bucco says:

Yahoo Answers says it takes 2-3 weeks to heal from a dislocated finger.

120. Boise Bucco says:

That’s how to not hit into a double-play!!!

121. Playoffs by 2012 says:

THE WINDOW PREDICTS………

Jose Tabata or Yamico Navarro will be called up
    IF
    Neil Walker goes on the DL

(Both Mercer and Harrison can play 2nd)

Hitting some long outs early against Mr. Young.

123. LuckyNKentucky says:

Put the finger back in, tape it up and he’ll be in the lineup tomorrow. Oh wait, this isn’t football. One thing about Walker, you know he’ll be back the second he can be.

124. Boise Bucco says:

Hey if this game is in New Riverfront or whatever it’s called in Stinkcinati, the Bucs are up like 10-1 or something right now…

I think Timmy in the booth thought all of those in the Pirates’ half were destined for the seats when they left the bat.

126. Boise Bucco says:

wth are we allergic to 1-2-3 innings? C’mon Wandy

127. Boise Bucco says:

ESPN gamecast says that Hanley Ramirez walked on a 5-6 count…

128. Reading says:

Thanks Blue! The same 3-2 pitch Wandy did not get the call on, was the same pitch that Marte got rung up on.

129. Derek Smith says:

Holy crap, thank you for that timely Wednesday Column Dejan! My whole family is making this out to be worse than the 10 game losing skid of last year! My dad keeps talking like, “good teams should be able to pull themselves out of this and move on, and they just can’t do it. I have been around long enough to see how they collapse and can’t turn it around.”

First of all, They haven’t been in a playoff position in August since the early 90′s. Second, they are 12 games over .500. Third, they hold a playoff spot. Fourth, it is August 15th. Finally, the Pirates have lost 8 of 12. Not saying thats good, but the Yankees have even lost 12 of 18. That is equall to what the Yankees did. Losing 2/3 of their games.

Being 16, I have never witnessed a winning season, and this season has been awesome. And on September 7-9th, we are going down from Bradford PA with some friends for a 3+ hour trip to see our Bucs. Most I have seen them in a season. We have gotten down once per year, but that is it. So I am loving this and have seen way to many awesome things from this team to lose faith now. I have just as much faith now as I did in April, or just two weeks ago. Two weeks does not change a season, unlike how some feel.

I have always been a would rather look at the glass half full type of person, and my dad refuses to read that article now because he doesn’t want to be wrong. He likes you, but he doesn’t want to see me right. Its like he wants to see them lose so he can prove me wrong. Sometimes I question how big of a fan he is, haha. I guess we will see who is right in about a month and a half.

Awesome article, and you just made me not ever want to miss one of your columns. I would pay just to read your Bucco columns. Thanks for the help in trying to prove my dad wrong. LETS GO BUCS! LETS GO ZOLTAN!

130. Boise Bucco says:

Mercer/pitcher/Marte…I am predicting 9 pitches total for the inning. Please let the over win this one.

Wandy apparently runs as quickly as he works on the mound.

Nice post, Mr. Smith. No substitute for youthful enthusiasm. Not sure what the world would do without it!

133. Boise Bucco says:

I get that the Dodgers are a good team, but for real, Kershaw is 2 for 2…they’re gonna get on base, they’re gonna score a few runs.

But you GOTTA get the pitcher out!

134. Reading says:

They could at least hit the ball with some authority.

135. Bill Born says:

Why do pitch to Kemp???

This is a mountain of sand to climb tonight. Hard to spot Kershaw 5 cookies.

137. The Gunner says:

Here we go again, folks! CH better get the hook out quick. Even Blass said it’s about time.

138. Boise Bucco says:

Well that escalated quickly…

Seriously, is Jeff Luhnow over in Houston smiling like the butcher’s dog right now or what!? He gave the Bucs a really expensive Kevin Correia and got Robbie Grossman AND Rudy Owens in return.

139. Reading says:

While this game is enjoyable, a game where we dominate from start to finish might be slightly more enjoyable.

140. As of the top of the 4′th tonight, put me on record. This team is tanking again. They may break .500, but the season has set that up as a huge disappointment.

Hopefully this opinion is worth as much as my early take last night that Correia was being handled by motivational geniuses.

141. Boise Bucco says:

You honestly couldn’t convince me right now that Jeff Locke couldn’t do better than the combined efforts of Wandy Correia. They’re like the same pitcher to me.

Seriously, you can’t get the pitcher out!?

142. lawnbeaver says:

Well, seeing the umpire get hit in the nether region made me feel a little better.

143. The Gunner says:

K-dro whiffs again………….he looks pathetic

144. Reading says:

Nice!!!!

145. Boise Bucco says:

Thank you CUTCH! Restoring a little hope, one swing at a time

146. DemonDachshund says:

Now we just need to get Cutch to the plate 10 to 15 more times tonight…

147. Boise Bucco says:

Maybe he could wear some wigs or something…Bobby Valentine would approve

148. Reading says:

Defense starting to pick up.

149. Boise Bucco says:

HOLY CRAP A 1-2-3 INNING

IT’S LIKE AN ALBINO KOALA BEAR

150. Boise Bucco says:

If the Bucs can get 2 on base this inning, they need to PH for Wandy…need to start thinking about generating some runs

151. Reading says:

They get bloops and pencil hits, we hit lasers for outs.

152. DemonDachshund says:

Dodgers got themselves an albino koala bear of their own…

153. lawnbeaver says:

Mercer was probably fatigued from being on the field so long.

154. bobhasis says:

When your double switch includes Barmes coming into the game, you are in trouble!

155. Derek Smith says:

What is it going to take to get a Cincy loss once in a while. Sheesh. Well, 4 innings left, 3 runs needed. If the bullpen can hold it together, I would just focus on a run an inning. Yeah, a big inning would be nice, but just take it one at a time.

156. pattonbb says:

Kershaw has only thrown 59 pitches? is that right?

157. Boise Bucco says:

@Derek–exactly.

Resop got us out of a big mess, Bucs need to start something against muleface already. Two hits is about 8 hits short.

158. Boise Bucco says:

BAAAAARRRRRRNNNNNEEEEESSSSS is the PH–this will go well

159. Boise Bucco says:

ok ok Barmes, I deserved that…I’ll even start spelling your name right from time to time…

160. bobhasis says:

If he (Barmes) swings like that every time – and the swing he put on the grand slammer on Sunday – I could learn to like him a little

161. The Gunner says:

K-dro has a hat trick tonight. Or is it a turkey?

162. Reading says:

Unbelievable, another bleeder.

163. Chuck H says:

See, I told you Wandy was washed up and we should not have added him to the roster.
    It all boils down to:Pirate ownership did not try hard enough to get Victorino or Pence.
    Probably a few hundred dollars would have closed the deal for either. The pitching staff was fine before management gave Brad Lincoln away. We needed a hitter or two, but they got us some that either quit hitting or never could and they messed up the pitching staff.

164. Reading says:

Are we having fun yet?

165. Boise Bucco says:

Hey, who’s pitching for the Bucs? Gamecast says it’s Resop, but i could’ve swore that Barmes PH’ed for him in the last inning.

166. RobertoForever says:

Boise Bucco

Barmes came in on a double switch, and Resop is in Mercer’s spot. Pitching about as well as Mercer, right now as well.

man oh man. I feel like crying…anyone have any tissues?

168. Boise Bucco says:

Oh, n/m, CH double switched, I didn’t even notice.

169. Reading says:

Barmes came in with Resop in a double switch.

Muleface gets another hit, I’m gonna puke

171. Jay Jax Fl via New Castle says:

Just turned the game on. Wow…pathetic…..

172. Boise Bucco says:

I’ve been bagging on Wandy and Correia all night, but I’ve seen Resop throw a TON of quality innings this year…him and Grilli have carried this bullpen, and I know it’s probably pretty hypocritical to defend Resop and Grilli and then bag on Cruz and Watson…but there you have it.

This is going well.

yeah Jay Jax, sad huh?

Drew, define “well”

176. Boise Bucco says:

Hey you know what would raise the morale? A Jason Grilli sighting…

177. DemonDachshund says:

So how bad does it have to get before we’re allowed to NOT be enjoying this?

178. JUCOFan says:

Maholm and his 3.41 ERA sure would look nice in a Pirates uniform right now

179. Boise Bucco says:

@Demon– The Bucs Pythagorean W/L has them still 4 games above .500. I believe under Commonwealth Law, we are required to enjoy Pirate baseball until the Pythagorean falls below the .500 mark.

180. Naje says:

There’s bad stretches of baseball…. there’s really bad stretches of baseball… and then there’s getting your butt waxed repeatedly in a short period of time.

That’s a team that’s out of gas…and, sad to say, out of talent. The arms don’t have it anymore. Sure, there may be one or two arms that are solid, maybe a couple more… but as a collective: a bunch of candy arms on that staff.

181. Reading says:

Enjoyment- the act or state of enjoying.

182. Boise Bucco says:

GOTTA get somethin’ going this inning

183. Reading says:

We need 7 here.

184. Boise Bucco says:

I’d even take 2 in this inning, just something to show they’re still battling

185. Reading says:

It’s always darkest before the dawn- or words to that effect.

186. Reading says:

The “Grease” Nissan commercial is getting particulary annoying.

187. Boise Bucco says:

@Reading–maybe you’re right… maybe AJ goes and rips everyone apart after the game, and they go on some crazy winning streak and Greg Brown ends up with a shaved head…crazier things have happened.

188. JUCOFan says:

Maholm

Here is a little song I wrote
    You might want to sing it note for note
    Don’t worry be happy
    In every life we have some trouble
    When you worry you make it double
    Don’t worry, be happy……

Platitudes.

190. Reading says:

AJ would be good. I’m thinking Barajas batting .083 might not be the best guy to call people out.

Of COURSE I’m happy, John. We are ENJOYING this.

Something for when Milo reviews the blog timeline: It is 9:44 are you still at the game? Are you enjoying it?

193. Reading says:

Okay. Crunch time now.

194. TDB1977 says:

DK tweeted about 30 minutes ago For all the attention Pirates-Brewers got, NO team has OWNED the Pirates like the Dodgers. This is 9 in a row, 65-23 since 2001. And most scores like this

Drew: Actually just thinking of anything associated with the movie, “Cocktail” makes me happy.

Reading: Post 183 gets post of the thread from me!

196. DemonDachshund says:

US soccer has a 1-0 lead in Mexico City. They have never won there, ever – 0-23-1.

Yes, the baseball game was so unenjoyable, I’m watching a soccer “friendly”.

197. Reading says:

Hypothetically, in a parallel universe, if Kershaw pitched 200 innings against a team consisting of 9 Pedro Alvarezes, Kershaw has 600 strikeouts.

198. Jay Jax Fl via New Castle says:

Jandy, this is horrible…..But we all still have faith…..time to throw some chairs. We can not keep running guys out there that are hitting so pathetic. It’s not that we don’t like the guys or want to cut everybody, but some guys need to ride more pine than others. Alvarez looks like ass. Barajas’ swing is horrible. Barmes batting .215 or whatever is better than it was, but yuk……..Again, we have to keep believing…….and if JMac goes out there again and implodes, bullpen time…………..

199. The Gunner says:

@ JUCO fan

I agree with you on Maholm looking good in a Pirate uni but alas, the BMTIB turned their noses up at him when he was available at the end of July.

====================

It’s all up to AJ tomorrow

200. The Gunner says:

they had us all the way

201. Playoffs by 2012 says:

So this is what it sounds like when doves cry……….The WIN, wins tonight. Nothing else to add.

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    Pants-n-at ** -400
    Stickyweb ** -425
    Kevin S ** -500
    bob hasis ** -550
    Boise Bucco ** -900
    TDB1977 ** -1140

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) 2012 Topps Roberto Clemente Card

202. Boise Bucco says:

@Playoffs–I would like an asterisk next to my name since I picked Kershaw to lose tonight…

You know, SINCE I’M AN HONORABLE YINZER AN ‘AT

203. Boise Bucco says:

Also, to everyone who everyone who won tonight–I HOPE YOU’RE HAPPY

204. Playoffs by 2012 says:

@Boise,

The Window will comp your drinks and parking. It is the HONORABLE thing to do.

205. tdb1977 says:

@Boise

You need to stop losing your money. Your getting to close to me. I need to start remembering to make my wager so I can continue my freefall. To -2000 and beyond!