Monday Wakeup Call: Wonderful trip

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media columnist

OTTAWA — Brief and to the Point …

>> The Monday column exists entirely to praise James Neal.

Here’s some of what Sidney Crosby had to say afterward …

>> It was a wonderful trip, at least on a personal level, but I’m delighted to turn the beat work back to Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe beginning with today’s practice.

I’ll be returning to Winnipeg for the mid-February trip there.

>> We had a bunch of good stuff in Sunday’s paper, and I feel compelled to call special attention to some of it right here …

Alan Robinson rates the Steelers’ Super Bowl teams in order, with some help from several other media types, myself included. I can tell you this was fun to help with this but far more fun to read the final result.

Columnist Joe Starkey continued to open Steven Adams’ door at Pitt.

How recruiting can affect a high school kid’s parents, by Kevin Gorman.

And back to the Penguins’ front, Sergei Gonchar’s future was weighed by Rossi.

>> I’ll be decompressing most of the day. (The trip was nice, but seven flights on Honey I Shrunk the Plane Airlines can wear on a guy.)

The blog folks will continue to work on tailoring this update, so by all means, feel free to leave input here in the comments. They’ll be seen.

Comments

1. Stuart says:

Good game last night. Enjoyed he shoot out after a tense third period. I thought that Tangradi played well. Like the new format so far.

Stuart

No Brief and to the Point point about the Pro Bowl, Dejan?

3. Dave G says:

Any win is sweet, as was the Pens’ win last night.

But in this abbreviated season, with every game against conference opponents, an overtime or shootout win carries with it a bit of sting. The loser gets a point in the standings.

The uphill climb is much easier when you’re making it with wins in regulation. When you win in OT, you’re dragging the loser right behind you… clinging to your coattails.

4. Dave G says:

Craig Anderson, for Ottawa, was the number one star of the game.

He’s their goalie.

The goalie who lost the game when he gave up three consecutive goals in the shootout.

5. JoeyBats says:

Was happy to see Steven Adams keeping the door open @ Pitt (for now) for next year!

JAL is a bit delayed.

Having difficulties finding a Pro Bowl link.

7. Peezy says:

Great column on Neal. He’s quickly becoming my favorite Penguin — ahead of 87 and 71. Especially if 71 doesn’t pull his head from his @$$ sometime soon.

JAL’s Hazy Shade of Winter Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Spring Training Tracker

BLOGS and such

5—Pirates Prospects

First Pitch: The FanGraphs Reports, and Luis Urena as a Sleeper

6 Bucs Dugout

Pirates’ Alex Dickerson among MLB.com’s top first-base prospects

7 The Green Weenie

J-Mac, Mike Leake Arb Twins & Other Stuff

8 Rant Sports

Is Andrew McCutchen the Best Player in the National League?

9 Rumbunter

Reports: Ronny Cedeno To St. Louis Cardinals Rumors Heat Up

Will Pirates Pedro Alvarez Go The Way Of Justin Upton Someday?

10 MLB

Alderson Says Bourn Would Cost Mets Too Much

15 Irondequoit Post

Jason Farmer: MLB needs to change the way All Star Games are awarded

16 Bleacher Report

Worst Blown Calls in the History of Baseball

17 Miami Herald

Miami man at center of probe into performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball, other sports

18 Forbes

Miami Marlins Have Become Baseball’s Most Expensive Stadium Disaster

SPORTS WEBSITES

19 Baseball Prospectus

The Week In Quotes

20 Fangraphs

Jim Kern’s Four Incredible Seasons

Steelers Blogs

21 Behind the Steel Curtain

The mystery behind Steve McLendon’s lack of playing time pales in comparison to why he’s still a nose tackle

22 Steelers Depot

- Steelers Backup Quarterback Situation Will Be Interesting To Watch Play Out

Soccer(football)

23 Daily Telegraph

Oldham 3 Liverpool 2: match report

24 World Soccer Daily

World Soccer Daily: 10 stories you need to read, 25th January, 2013

PENGUIN BLOGS and NHL Links

25 Pensburgh

This is how we D: Penguins 2, Senators 1 (SO)

11. radio wave says:

I had to laugh last night my wife doesn’t usually watch hockey and we turned it on and when the pens scored the first one in the shootout she goes oh they win said no honey doesn’t quite work that way

Links are in moderation land. Song is Hazy Shade of Winter Simon and Garfunkel 1966

radio, hey, man, you’ve got to do a better job teaching your wife about hockey ;)

Neal. James Neal. The Real Deal.

Where would the Pens be without him?

15. TJA says:

Like the new look, Dejan, regarding the blog.
    _____________________________________________________________________
    Heading out on vacation (or as others may say “holiday”) for the week…to someplace really warm and no wintery stuff. Have a good week everyone!

16. radio wave says:

Will the Blackhawks and sharks ever lose

TJA, go ahead, rub it in….we have ice here in PA….anyway..enjoy! :)

18. LuckyNKentucky says:

The 97 points scored was the lowest combined total in a while. They’re keying on defense like the NHL and NBA all-star games.

19. LuckyNKentucky says:

Almost 50 here already.

20. Steve says:

Big game for the Panthers tonight. I think a win establishes them as legit for the NCAA tourney. Louisville will be tough after three straight losses. Hoping Pitt can break the press and reduce the # of turnovers. If they turn it over against Lousiville at the rate they did against an awful Depaul team they’ll lose.

Hoping to see Adams conitnue to improve. Can he avoid foul trouble going up against Louisville’s big man?

No. Never.

22. TJA says:

LOL, Jandy! Thanks. We are planning on it for sure.

23. TJA says:

You having ice down there at all, Lucky?

24. Patrick says:

I think they should follow the Captials lead and use Neal the way the use Ovechkin and move him to the off-wing, since that is working SO WELL.

Yesterday was the first time this season I had heard they had done that. MIND BLOWN. I mean seriously, who does that. Is that your lead during the interview?

“So, as a potential coaching candidate for the HC position, what would you do to help the Washington Capitals realize their potential?”

“I would take your best player…your Rocket Richard, Hart and Art Ross trophy winner and move him out of position.”

“You’re hired.”

25. TJ says:

I wish I could say I liked Pitt’s chances tonight however I have a feeling a blow out is in their future. I can’t see Louisville losing 4 straight.

I noticed what a great run the Duquesne women are on; which led me to wonder. Is Susie so entrenched in the area that she wouldn’t go to another school or is the job she is doing at the school not good enough to be considered for a higher profile school? Would love to see her at PItt.

26. LuckyNKentucky says:

Just last Friday. Summer is back today and tomorrow.

TJ, I’ve heard that after Suzie spent those four years in Minnesota that she really doesn’t want to leave the Pittsburgh area again until all of her kids are on their own. Allegedly her dream job is Penn State.

28. TJA says:

Indeed, 50 is not too bad for January…

And my avatar has disappeared.

I’ve only read the headlines of link #9 so far.
    Can’t wait to read the articles from Rumbunter. And then get some hot-stove talk going…for at least 4 or 5 posts.

I was so ready to b*chslap him with his dumb giveaways last night!

32. LuckyNKentucky says:

Are you at a different e-mail address? I had that problem between work and home.

we have freakin 32 ::sigh::

Take the hint

Thanks Lucky.

Eat me, TC.

36. diehard says:

I would hope Suzie would stay at Duquesne, but you never know. This is by far the best and most consistent the program has ever been. Not sure how much of an influence it is on her decision making in the long run, but she was a local kid who went to a Catholic grade school (I forget which one, but I do remember her being an incredible blur playing against my sister’s team), and high school (Seton LaSalle), and coached at another one before getting to DU.

Yeah.

There was rare unanimity on the Showdown last night with Gianotti, Dunlap, Zeise and Pompeani all wanting Karstens in the rotation ahead of Locke and McPherson.

39. LuckyNKentucky says:

Furcal better recover quickly. I can’t see the Cardinals putting up with Mr. Wandering Mind very long. Then again, maybe they’ll bring out the greatness in Ronny. ;)

40. John Lease says:

If I’d been on, it would have been one more ‘Aye’.

41. Dom says:

In reference to #22 on JALs links, the article gives the impression that there are no decent back QB options. But looking through the list they provided there are decent options such as Bruce Gradkowski, David Carr, Tarvaris Jackson, Rex Grosssman, and Tyler Thigpen. I know these are not starting caliber QBs but I think they’re credible backup options.

Here’s another fun link: http://deadspin.com/5979224/tom-bradys-new-house-literally-has-a-moat

Tom Brady’s house has a moat! I never understood why people say, “Money doesn’t buy happiness.” I know if I had a $20 million house with a moat around it, I’d be pretty darn happy.

42. Dom says:

Only when we beat them in the championship!!!!

Not going to pretend I know anything about women’s college basketball, but I’ve always wondered why Suzie hasn’t been given a shot at PSU already.

Is this the official baseball thread, and if not, can someone tell me how to get there?

Well I’m really glad they nailed down that last open starter position. Did they mention an option in case Liriano starts the season on the DL which would be my guess?

Like +1

She may have been NMR.

48. LuckyNKentucky says:

This is it until we get the word that it ain’t.

49. TJ says:

What depresses me isn’t the 20 million dollar home. Its the idea that the costs of up keep on that home per month are probably more than I make in 6 months.

50. JoeyBats says:

BIG week for Pitt hoops.
    It would be GREAT if they could win 1 of the 2 upcoming games this week.

**road tonight – Lousiville (Cards coming off a 3 game losing streak)

** home Saturday – against the ‘Cuse (the Orange having a full week to prepare for Pitt …licking their wounds after losing to the Cats)

51. Patrick says:

He is definitely showing signs of bad habits from the KHL. He can probably get away with sexy drop passes and no-look 60′ back hand passes through the slot in Russia…but that wont fly here.

He just picked up some bad habits. He will be back to being the MVP before long.

BRADY IS MARRIED TO GISELE. SHE IS A SUPERMODEL!

53. Dom says:

Ever watch “Going for Broke” on ESPN? They state that 70% of NFL players are broke less than five years after retirement.

Obviously, Brady will probably not fit into this category because one can only assume he will have a steady line of work after playing since he’s a household name but purchases like this are what get these men in trouble.

Not only is this home is probably around 20% of his net worth but the monthly expense ensures a constant flow of money draining from his bank account.

Well in that case, JAL made a nice little find in Link #13 on Jerry Sands.

For the most part the article is your standard review on stuff that’s already been written, but there were a few good quotes.

“It would be nice to get regular at-bats and see what happens, but they don’t just give you 400 at-bats,” Sands said. “You have to do well in 100 at-bats. Then you earn more at-bats and build on it.”

Quite a bit different than Travis “give me 500 AB’s” Snider. Sands is quickly becoming the guy I’m pulling for this year.

I think I am in the minority here but I would like to see Locke get about 15-18 consecutive starts to see exactly how he would do with them.
    Of course I think the rotation might be better with healthy Karstens and healthy Liriano.

I wonder why the Pirates didn’t try to go to a shorter term deal with Liriano or a one year with a club option on the second year. (unless this revised 2 year deal gives them a big discount if he spends time on the DL)

56. JRay3 says:

True tests indeed for this growing Panthers team. Currently some interesting rankings for this club. Kenpom has them at #7….Sagarin rates them at #13, ESPN’s BPI has ranking of #14 and their RPI is currently #49.

I know a lot of talk has been made of Pitt’s non-conference schedule but currently their SOS is #99 and after playing two Top 12 teams this week is going to surge.

Pitt is 2-3 versus the Top 50 and has played more top 50 teams than ranked teams in Creighton, Butler, Wichita State, Ole Miss and Oregon. Pitt has played the same number of Top 50 teams as Florida, Ohio State, Miami and Kentucky. Pitt is not unlike the vast majority of Division 1 programs.

57. Christopher Walton says:

Nice win for the Pens. Much better effort, but a piece is missing. Who is that piece? Any thoughts on who GMRS might acquire?

58. bpn8pitt says:

Agree, gentlemen. Big test with Siva tonight.

59. TK says:

She went to Our Lady of Loretto in Brookline.

60. TJ says:

Well I remember reading 2 recent stories. One on former Steeler Leon Searcy and the other on Chris McCallister of the Ravens. Searcy is living in a condo in Florida but the money is pretty much gone. McCallister is living in his parents basement and is given an allowance from his parents. Talk about sad.

61. TJ says:

Anyone else about the Pens style of play last night? Yes they got the win but I saw very little in terms of offensive effort; and when it was there it usually lead to a turnover. This team is spending so much time and effort on defense it lends me to ask.

1. Are the forwards that irresponsible with the puck that we have to dump and chase as to not give up a 3 on 2 going the other way?

2. Is the defense that bad that we need to dump and chase because our defense can’t handle the pressure? It was interesting before the Niskanen line how Errey mentioned that the Pens were rolling with 5 defensemen.

They may have won last night but I didn’t see a team that could win a cup playing like that. Geno is starting to remind me of Chris Kemoeatu with his bone headed plays and even more ridiculous penalties.

I would imagine the guaranteed years is what won them his services in the first place. Don’t know how the fluke injury compromises that, unlike Napoli’s hip situation which is a chronic concern.

I’ll definitely join you in the minority on Locke, but I’m not sure I would give them to him at the expense of any of the five top starters. Kartsens himself was an awful big league pitcher until he broke camp in the rotation from the start of 2011.

I’ve always contended that it was no small task for Locke to get thrown onto a team in the midst of two historic collapses and expect the results to be any different than the big league starters suffering the same fate.

63. Patrick says:

I guarantee…every one of the guys that goes broke soon after retiring has more baby mommas than useful skills.

Keep it in your pants fellas.

64. Dom says:

Wow. I didn’t hear about those two stories. I know I shouldn’t but I really do feel bad for them as the life of an NFL player is different from what we experience. It would be easy for us to criticize but we might have very well blown all of our money if we had the success they did so early in life.

You might remember former Philadelphia Eagle safety Damon Moore who was in the pro bowl one year. He was supposed to be a free agent at the end of the one season and obviously due for a raise. Well, Philly was in eliminated in the NFC Championship and in that exact game he blew out his knee and never played again. I don’t know if any of this was true but I read on a message board that he was working in Nextel store and moved back in with his mother. At least in Moore’s case it wasn’t all his fault as his injury cut his career well short.

65. Patrick says:

They dont need a piece. As evidence yesterday they just need to play better. Malkin picked up some bad habits playing in the free wheeling, open style hockey of the KHL and everyone else is still getting their timing back. Everyone’s hockey looks ugly these days.

Lets face it, they are 3-2 with Mlakin and Crosby playing poorly most of the time. Give it another two weeks before we try to disassemble it.

66. Patrick says:

Dump and chase is more about who the other team has on the ice as anything. If its Karlsson then you dump it behind him and go hit him. If they have 4 across the line then you have to dump it in. There is another team out there, and not everything thathappens is a bad play by the Penguins. The other team is capable of making a good play once in awhile too….

67. Patrick says:

Ok folks really….its been ONE WEEK of hockey.

They played 5 games in 9 days, four of them on the road.

Call me fatally optimistic, but if the Penguins can continue to win 75% of their road games….I like our chances. Lets keep things in persepctive before we trade away half the kids in Wiles-Barre for Hal Gill.

68. Rocco says:

Do i need to do something fancy like sign up somewhere to get my pic up? Sorry, I must have missed the post about all that…

I sure hope so, Patrick. He had a penchant for doing this last season as well, tho.

Do you want hot sauce with that?? ;)

We tend to pay attention when this happens to athletes because we put them on a pedestal, but by no means are they any different than the rest of society.

Everytime a bubble bursts you see wealthy people end up broke soon after making millions. It’s an unfortunate part of human nature. You’ll see the same thing happen in this very state when the shale money dries up and people have to reluctantly go back to living normal lives.

TJ, yes they are that irresponsible with the puck. They really get my dander up!

What’s the word on Niskie, or is it out yet?

Rocco, go to Cravatar.com and follow the instructions.

75. pattonbb says:

**Caution – baseball related post to follow**

A friend asked me if I could name the 12 Pirate all stars of THIS century. Without cheating, I named 9. Anyone care to give it a try? You might be amazed at how fast we forget a few names.

76. LuckyNKentucky says:

Mother T. (for typo). Gravatar.com

Keep those size 9′s under the desk, please, maam.

that is Gravatar.com

78. TJ says:

Oh I’m not ready to demolish the team; and I have to step back and realize that camps only opened 2 weeks ago but I really do not like the top 2 lines the way they are configured. I don’t see the Kunitz, Crosby, Dupuis line as one that would strike fear into anyone’s eyes.

79. LuckyNKentucky says:

Cutch, Hanny, Correia, Evan (now released) Meek, Freddie, short-term memory on the rest.

80. TJ says:

This is almost impossible, we are only in 12 years of baseball, I would say at least 8 of those years we probably only had one guy on the roster. Guys I came up with were….

Kendall
    Giles
    Bay
    Cutch
    Hanrahan
    Meek
    Correia
    M Williams
    J Wilson
    Sanchez

For some reason I want to say Womack

81. LuckyNKentucky says:

Not bad. I forgot quickly, like the General said above.

82. TJ says:

Willing to bet there is a reliever in there that I’m missing. Cause I think Correia was the first starter in forever that made the All-Star team.

Everyone missing Zach Duke

Thanks JAL, a typo, go figure! lol I kill me. But I see my Avatar isn’t showing…wth is up with that?

I see your avatar

86. pattonbb says:

Womack was an all-star in ’97. Nice shot, TJ. You did better than me.

87. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Backslap?

88. LuckyNKentucky says:

I, also.

89. TJ says:

Good call on Duke

90. LuckyNKentucky says:

I, also

Ehhhh…then it’s my dumb computer.

92. Brad, Indiana PA says:

My house has a moat. As soon as it quits raining it will dry up though.

93. Dom says:

Part of the reason that these guys go broke is that they have to pay child support and alimony but they’re also prone to making poor investments such as financially supporting small businesses and new inventions. We all know that most small businesses fail and a successful new product works once every blue moon. Apparently, starting a 401K is not in their priorities.

I was reading that one athlete was home for his grandmother’s funeral. When he got out of his car to enter the funeral home a mob of people surrounded him asking to invest in his business.

I can understand if some of these athletes get swooped into one of these ill-fated investments.

94. Brad, Indiana PA says:

So how does one go about getting an avatar on here? Haven’t really been on recently and still adjusting to new format…

they should put the info on the blog but just go to gravatar.com

96. JHadar says:

It takes a few minutes for them to show up once you’ve been through the setup.

97. TJ says:

So all you do is go to Gravatar.com and create an image and save it; and then anything linked to the email address provided will have that avatar used?

98. LuckyNKentucky says:

That’s the long and short of it. Their directions are pretty easy to follow.

99. TJ says:

ahh crap… no one said anything about reading

100. pattonbb says:

McLouth, too.

101. TJ says:

woo hoo. It worked

102. buggee says:

>> LEE-Tang made a few bone-headed plays last night too. Interesting that he wasn’t one of the first 3 choices for shootout. Nonetheless, he does skate fluidly, has a nice rip for a slapper, and his training video rocks (on you-chewb)

>> Despres a healthy scratch? that kid needs ice-time! And where the heck is Bortuzzo?

>> Nuthin’ on the Battlin’ Buccos. Cool

>> Guess I need to upload a photo, but the sound of thousands of screens shattering all at once is sufficient deterrent. Plus any one of you loonies could track me down and abuse me with shuttlecocks. Happy Monday

103. LuckyNKentucky says:

Put wifelet’s pix on there instead or use your lineup photo. That’s always a good one.

I’m thinking its a bit early for the Pens to give up on Despres?

Of course they do have quite a bit of depth on the D-Line

105. buggee says:

That’s honkin’ funneh KY-Jelleh! Seriously funny stuff. good one

106. LuckyNKentucky says:

I wouldn’t have used that negative conotation about a nice guy like you, but you indicated a negative reaction to putting your pix up, so I thought the door was open. Just joshin’ ya’

107. Dom says:

I don’t think that type of moat will be as beneficial toward your property value as Brady’s will but I’m no expert.

haha!

Just put up a pic of a shuttlecock and be done with it buggee!

Honest question: what could the team even get for Despres?

111. Eric Bowser says:

I figure a 2nd line winger is Despres value at this point, the question is… is it a young productive winger or an older 28-30 winger with average production. The trade topic by Michael Russo about a Despres for Devin Setoguchi (20 goal scorer) would seem to indicate the worse option for the team long-term.

I’m not a fan of dealing a young defenseman unless you are getting exactly what you want and someone like Setoguchi is not what I want.

Team needs a bigger forward on the wing, too many small guys on the team. I’d love to see the trade value for Bobby Ryan and Chris Stewart. I know it would cost more than Despres, or I would assume.

112. Christopher Walton says:

In two weeks, it will be exactly the same team that has lost three straight 1st round playoff series. They actually need two pieces, not one. They need a leader and a large body on the blue line, or they will be playing golf early again this summer.

113. Dom says:

Today the Steelers were granted permission to interview Washington’s special teams coach Danny Smith for the same position on our team.

114. My understanding about Suzie at Penn State was that when Rene Portland was canned, Penn State wanted to get someone totally unassociated with Portland’s program.

I think Suzie also spoke up on Portland’s behalf around that time.

Recollections: ergo, unverified.

115. I have Gisele hanging around my house, too.

But sometimes the tape comes off and she falls down.

I’ve read some speculation they are looking for a James Neal type of winger for him.

117. Patrick says:

I cant imagine any team giving up a top 6 for Despres. Maybe Columbus…or Montreal. But then their top 6 suck so….

Whitney was A LOT more accomplished than Despres and they traded him for Kunitz. The Goligoski deal is an exception not the rule.

118. Patrick says:

If Shero gets a 30 goal scorer for Despres he should immediately be jailed for larceny.

That’s absurd. If they got a 15-20 Matt Cooke type player for Despres they should thank their lucky stars.

I think everyone is grossly over-estimating the value of one Simon Despres at this point. What has the kid ever done to be worth a James Neal type player?

119. Eric Bowser says:

I think Chris Stewart fits the James Neal mold of a winger who showed some promised, struggled for a season and then was dealt. Unfortunately, Stewart is off to a good start with the Blues (4 goals).

I posted about LA Kings LW Kyle Clifford as a possibility since he hasn’t received top two line duty yet, physical winger, good speed for his size.

120. JohnH says:

In my opinion, the Liriano deal was probably held up by not being able to get insurance on him if he missed time because of the injury. The first contract probably didn’t pass the underwriting process and the contract had to be change to protect the Pirates if he would go on the DL. So that any extra salary for a replacement would be withheld from Liriano. But I am just a humble bread man so what do I know.

121. Jandy, Lucky, & Arriba Wilver,

I tried to write a defense for you guys on Saturday. Dejan responded.

Thanks for having my back! (although I am perplexed why it was misunderstood in the first place.)

I don’t care what Drew says——I think you 3 are “good people.” Well, at least two of the three of you!

122. Johnny Rosboro’s Son,

Great story. JAL gave it to us Saturday.

I may want to bid on that Bible if they sell it!

123. LuckyNKentucky says:

Saw that, Groat. Thanks. I think DK was too full of poutiene and caffeine. He just misunderstood your original thoughts.

Jandy is a good person, too. (I’ll get it for that remark, I’m sure)

Groat and Spunky, I <3 you guys :)

125. LuckyNKentucky says:

The feeling is mutual. :)

Like!

127. Patrick says:

They lost all three of those series for completely different reasons.
    1) Halak was playing OUT OF HIS MIND in 2010. the 82 Oilers wouldnt have scored on him.
    2) No Crosby. Injuries. Matt Cooke suspended in 2011.
    3) Fleury had a complete meltdown. If he even plays average the Pens beat the Flyers. The Flyers ddint play good, not even a little. The whole team fell apart.

Every team could use better players. And if Shero thinks he can get a better player than he has now, by all means do it. But it wont matter how good anyone is if they play like crap again. Plain and simple: Man for Man they are the most talented team in the NHL. Period. They dont need better players. They need their players to play better.

I just read what Dejan posted to you. And all I can say is…
    HHMMPPFFF!!

Groat

The morning links will always have more baseball than other sports on regular threads. I find the offseason, commonly called the Hot Stove League, full of good stories. Big story on Jeff Clement feeling he has unfinished business in the majors, the Bible story, just today Worst Blown Calls and an MLB investigation into performance enhancing drugs plus a story on Jerry Sands.

130. LuckyNKentucky says:

We may be in trouble for so much baseball talk today, but the Pens are off, so maybe not. Anyway, all we can get is no soup, and I’m not a big soup fan anyway.

131. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Touche. The ducks seem to like it.

132. Patrick says:

I heard a few rumors Lamariello in NJ will make a run at B Ryan at the deadline.

133. I must admit——you make me laugh out loud sometimes!

134. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Thanks all.

135. Brad, Indiana PA says:

What exactly is less than three-ing someone?

136. LuckyNKentucky says:

Good.

A merry heart doeth good like medicine, but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17:22 KJV

137. LuckyNKentucky says:

It says “I heart you”‘ Brad. That’s a heart laying on its side. Even I could figure that one out. ;)

138. LuckyNKentucky says:

Double Amen, JAL. Appreciate all you do.

139. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I know that, Lucky lol. I’ve been grading history essays for 3 hours and needed to inject some humor- poke the bear, if you will.

Yeah, I don’t know the value of Depres, just reporting some speculation

141. JAL,

That’s why you are a man after my own heart.

(Kentuck Knob will love the Biblical reference!)

I too find the Hot Stove exceedingly interesting. I still can’t figure out why Buccos didn’t take a flyer on Jair Jurrjens, for only $1.5 million plus incentives. I might have even gone for that over signing Jeff Karstens, as much as I like Karstens.

I must confess though, JAL, that I miss Wilber Cooper.

142. LuckyNKentucky says:

Sorry, I thought you were serious. Mr. Gullible here. My heart goes out to you. My son goes through the same thing only he’s a math teacher. Didn’t get it from me.

143. LuckyNKentucky says:

JAL’s the King David of the blog, Groaty.

144. Thanks for asking, Indian Brad.

I thought it was another of JandyGirl’s pictures of “ants marching.”

145. Kentuck Knob,

Just make sure your wife doesn’t take a bath on the roof of your house if JAL is around!

146. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Not to worry, LuckyNSpunky. My math is as good as my French. Needless to say neither is any good.

147. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Any time, Groat. I’m always trying to expand my electronic vernacular. Jandy has this stuff down to an art. My mom does that stuff all the time and I usually end up telling her ” Ma, I don’t think you realize what mental images those symbols create.”

Thanks, Eric.

Keep up the good work, JAL.

150. Eric Bowser says:

Here’s a detailed breakdown of the Penguins issues on the PP….

I have pictures to break the ugly setup and execution

151. LuckyNKentucky says:

Good point. Too much pitch on our roof. You can’t even stand on it, let only take a bath. And my name isn’t Uriah.

was so used to hearing the Bangles version of that song, I forgot about the Original Classic…….

153. Ghost says:

Spent ten minutes trying to game and set up a “Gravatar.” Not only was “ghost” and a few spelling variations not available, but then different passwords I tried kept getting rejected. Wasn’t thrilled about having yet another company following me around the internet anyway. Too invasive.

I like my present avatar of a white ski cap on a gray setting just fine.

Pffffttt!!!!!

Ghost, why not go with Patrick Swayze? ;)

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back