Tuesday Wakeup Call: Todd Reirden, today’s guest

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Brief and to the Point …

>> The TribLIVE Radio show today will feature special guest Todd Reirden, the Penguins’ assistant coach responsible for the defense. Always candid, Reirden will discuss the emergence of Paul Martin (and why), Brooks Orpik’s amazing nine-block game in Ottawa and what to expect from Simon Despres tonight against the Islanders.

Again, here’s how to listen:

Station: TribLIVE Radio, online only

Time: 1-2 p.m., each Tuesday

Where to find it: Click right here off your PC or laptop. It’s free, easy, no registration.

Mobile: The TribLIVE Radio app is for the iPhone, iPad and Android. Just search “TribLIVE Radio” in the app store. It’s also free, easy and all that.

Also, our Steelers beat writer Alan Robinson will call in from New Orleans to talk Super Bowl.

Alan’s first big file is on Colin Kaepernick.

I want you to be involved, too. Email: sportstalk@tribweb.com Or call 412-320-7925.

>> Matt Niskanen won’t skate tonight, but his injury doesn’t sound serious, according to Josh Yohe.

>> Man, Pitt is just a lousy shooting team. And the funny thing is, the closer they are to the basket, the worse they shoot.

Really hard team to figure, even harder to watch at times. You see the talent, the athleticism, and you watch them taking a top-ranked team like Louisville to the wire on its home court … only to miss layups and free throws, and more layups and free throws.

Some of it’s understandable. Steven Adams is a work in progress. Talib Zanna still shows his rawness. But it’s got to be more concerning to Jamie Dixon that James Robinson, his otherwise solid freshman point guard, shows so little touch after getting into the paint. One would hope that changes soon.

Comments

Well, I’m glad to hear that about Niskie. It would be nice to see Bortuzzo for a game or two…though I doubt that will happen.

2. Dan B says:

Robinson’s the least of Dixon’s concerns as they shouldn’t be counting on him for scoring at this point. Zanna 2-9 again, getting rejected or missing at point blank. From where he regularly gets touches, he should be well over 50% every game and yet he’s been we’ll under on a regular basis since the opposition got tough. Add moore’s 1-5 and they regularly get no offense from the 4 spot. Top that w/ Patterson being too slow against athletic teams (4 TO’s) and one huge free throw miss by Woodall when he could have made it a 1 point game w/ 40sec. remaining. Their horrendous FT shooting has become a big story, but the bulk of the misses in this one were from the 2 players that you count on to miss every time (Ziegler came in w/ that rep and Adams is destined for the next hack-a-shack at this rate). They actually handled the press surprisingly well but had too many unforced TOs trying to run and in half court.

DK, Adams is really becoming active and assertive though, fun to watch his progress and he still has time to become the difference maker for this season.

Dan

3. John Lease says:

How many more days until Spring Training?

4. JoeyBats says:

Steve Adams…..DUNK the ball when you are a foot away from the hoop ! :-(

PS: Coach Jamie talks abut how much they practice their free throw shooting ; …they need to do something different….it isn’t working – year after year. 3 for 12 from the line contributes to another losing effort.

2 weeks

JAL’s A Winters Tale Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Spring Training Tracker

BLOGS and such

5—Pirates Prospects

First Pitch: How Can the Pirates Catch the Cardinals?

Is Cost Certainty Better Than Roster Flexibility?

Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Top Prospects: #5 – Luis Heredia

Core Values: Pittsburgh Pirates

13 MLB Daily Dish

Yankees notes: New York will miss Russell Martin

14 MLB

Interact with players as Top 100 list is announced

15 Rant Sports

Travis Snider Facing Crucial Stage Of His Career With Pittsburgh Pirates In 2013

Pittsburgh Pirates Set to Field Best Pitching Rotation in 21 Years

16 In My Country

Heat star to join the Pirates crew

17 USA Today

MLB may take issue with Dodgers’ record TV deal

18 Sweetspot

Pitchers with a bad record on a good team

SPORTS WEBSITES

19 Baseball Prospectus

Pass the Bonds, Please

20 Fangraphs

Yuniesky Betancourt and the Worst Trend in Baseball

Steelers Blogs

21 Behind the Steel Curtain

Steelers possibly preparing to release Ryan Clark

22 Steelers Depot

- Steelers S Ryan Clark Reportedly Quit Twitter To Focus On His Rehab & Training

Soccer(football)

23 Daily Telegraph

Thierry Henry ‘pushing me’ to complete Arsenal buy-out, claims Alisher Usmanov who attacks club’s owners

24 World Soccer Daily

World Soccer Daily: 10 stories you need to read, 28th January, 2013

PENGUIN BLOGS and NHL Links

25 Pensburgh

Penguin Performances

A Winters Tale Moody Blues 2003 The Moody Blues were one of the original British Invasion bands but their first album was basically R&B. By their 2nd album, Days of Future Passed they shifted to the classical influenced sound. This song is from their 2003 album, December

10. Noel Gallagher says:

I’ll put in another suggestion I’ve heard from others for some time in the future – not today – to invite Keith Law onto the radio show to talk Pirates organization.

11. montyb24 says:

Hard to watch PITT blow another game because they can’t hit their free throws, 3-12 is terrible. They seem to be moving the ball pretty well and getting it inside, but the big guys up front are not very aggressive in the paint. Not used to seeing that lack of physicality from a Coach Dixon’s team.

Thunder says he’s free this afternoon. Hit him up.

Sounds good to me!

Morning links in moderation land, they will show up sometime

15. gregenstein says:

Seems strange to me that Bortuzzo is just sitting idly by.

16. radio wave says:

Interesting note from the NHL Bruins PK is a perfect 24 424

17. Naje says:

DK–
    Some of those close in misses were due to 6’11″ Gorgui Dieng and his shot blocking ability…especially getting several of those blocks early in the game. Had to be a bit of a factor. The free throw shooting was a bigger concern.

18. Steve says:

3 – 12 from the free throw line including Woodall’s critical miss on the front end of a 1 and 1 when it was 58 – 55. Repeatedly breaking down on defense and allowing Louisville free on the baseline to score on layups and dunks. Those two items cost the Panthers a victory more than the first half scoring drought and some short range misses.

I thought Ziegler would score more in this game. I also thought Patterson passed up some shots he should have taken.

Adams continues to improve but he must get better from the free throw line. Zanna’s offense has really fallen off in Big East play.

19. Patrick says:

I think they should trade Tangradi and Martin for Upton and a setup man. We still need some bullpen depth. If they can get an extra pick to go after a shutdown corner that would be sweet.

20. Damon says:

DK
    Is it possible Malkin playing against lesser competition in the KHL is part of the reason he is turning the puck over so much to start the season? Maybe a lot of those passes and plays were working over in Russia, but are getting him in trouble here.

My guess would be that Bortuzzo plays tonight – perfect opportunity to knock the rust off and keep him involved. Plus with the Islanders offensive prowess early this season, a defensive-defensman would serve the Pens better than Despres.

Pirates question – where is the Liriano deal as of today?

21. Dan B says:

Yeah that run of defensive breakdowns in the 2nd half was ridiculous

Interesting thought on Malkin.

Along with that, I could be wrong, but I thought KHL rinks follow International/Olympic dimensions. Bigger ice, looser play might not work so well on NHL ponds.

As for Liriano, the deal won’t be official until he takes a physical. My guess is that they’ll wait for the cast to come off first.

Speaking of moderation land. In about two hours, I’m taking a jet. Then a puddle jump. Then a wagon train. Reaching Cedar Rapids, Iowa sometime tonight for a meeting in the morning.

The high today in Cedar Rapids is a relatively balmy 51.

The low tomorrow morning is 9.

Nine.

IX.

On Liriano, deal is now just pending passing the physical, which as of a week ago could reportedly take some time because of logistical problems.

25. Naje says:

Steelers won Super Bowl IX…. so, you’ve got that going for you.

26. LuckyNKentucky says:

I don’t know if I can function today, I’m crying so heavily for you.

27. Damon says:

You’re right…their rinks are Olympic size. I wish there was an easy way for the NHL to make all their rinks Olympic size…that little bit of room would make their most talented players shine brighter and focus the play more on playmaking rather than blocking shots and clogging up the zone. Just no easy way to have every arena knock out the first two rows of seating on each side of the rink.

DK interviewing Thunder. Now that I may tune in to hear.

29. AJS says:

now THAT is a package deal!

30. RobertoForever says:

Hope your travel has gone better than mine, Drew.

Spending my second morning in Dulles after a second cancelled flight. I’ve called this trip and am headed home leaving my trip unfinished.

At least I am caught up on the blog comments enough to comment.

31. RobertoForever says:

Booooo on these new server requirements that force morning links to be delayed.

Boo I say. And again I say boo!

32. stuart66 says:

Sure miss the morning links. I wonder if the “moderator” is wearing a head set, and sitting with many other moderators in Bangalore!

Stuart

So how long is the meeting projected to last?

Not necessarily. it’s a shortened season, Bortuzzo is still virtually an unknown factor in the NHL, so it doesn’t surprise me. That said, I’d love to give him a chance to see what he can do…but I’m not the coach.

haha, you and me both!

Just today?

Drew dahling, wear your thermal underwear over your skivvies.

Do it now! ;)

Seconded. I feel empty without my links.

Two hours. But when I deliver the 48% cost increase to the client, it may last about nine (IX) minutes.

T-shirt and sport coat, in case you’re wondering.

41. LuckyNKentucky says:

Yup.

42. Patrick says:

Actually I hear rumors the Cheese Chester is on the block. I think the pens should go get him for a 7th rd pick. Not very fleet afoot but he gets good stick on puck and is a PHENOMENAL shot blocker. Immovable in front of his own net.

43. LuckyNKentucky says:

The DK look.

Only if Dejan would.

I wonder if I can get an autographed pair.

Sorta like a game used jersey.

45. Dom says:

I love your links JAL!!!

I’ve had flights for meetings as brief as an hour. Sometimes the same day. I try to tell people that there’s such a thing as teleconferencing and/or conference calls but I guess they like to see my smiling face.

Drew, do you wear one of those T shirts that has a tie painted on it?

47. LuckyNKentucky says:

DK doesn’t do autographs. You know that, Drew.

Looks like the links are now here–no idea how long it takes.

Tux.

I’d break out a baseball T but I have to wait a couple months.

Then I suppose I’ll have to settle for the game worn thermals.

I’ll see if I can find them on the Trib site.

51. LuckyNKentucky says:

Just paint the tux on your body and save baggage check, etc. Jandy will come and bail you out of jail when you’re arrested for indecent exposure and all will be well in Cedar Rapids.

Good thing I hit the airport early.

The three people in the security line moved slower than usual.

what the puck is a cheese chester?

54. TJ says:

Anyone elses stomach turn when they saw a picture of Ray Lewis on the main page of the Trib website?

As much as I don’t want the 49ers to win… I just as badly don’t want to have Lewis go out with a win. Going out with a win should be reserved for guys like Elway and Bettis. Last thing I want to hear year after year is will this guy go out like Ray Lewis. Makes my skin crawl.

Thunder’s wrestling name.

Man up. If I have to wrestle Thunder in Dejan’s used thermals, the least you can do is look at a creepy picture.

57. TJ says:

I got nothing on that one

58. TJ says:

I think my wrestling name would be Rex or Rob Ryan

I’m rooting for SF…just can’t bring myself to root for Baltimore Birds UGH

60. TJ says:

Anyone seen the over/under on the number of times the name Harbaugh will be mentioned during the Super Bowl?

61. Patrick says:

OMG…Sports Illustrated has officially lost their freakin minds… go check out the cover of their latest issue. I don’t even want to post the link…

RIDICULOUS

62. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’m watching the Super Bowl strictly for the commercials. Nothing good can come out of the actual game (though Ravens winning is the worst case scenario).

And on the commercials, they’ve been losing their flare since the days of the Budweiser frogs and the Bud Bowl. Obviously everyone, especially kids, drinks more beer because of talking frogs, lizards and poorly animated bottles playing football. I’m sure it has nothing to do with the actual effects of alcohol and the fact that malty goodness is always enjoyable. Stupid FCC or whoever ruined Louie the Lizard.

63. Brad, Indiana PA says:

“There will be mucosal shrapnel and overly dramatized theatrics.”

64. LuckyNKentucky says:

Triple Amen, Brad.

Brad, good Lord, I was thinking the same thing just the other day….about the Budweiser Frogs, Bud Light. Amazing :)

66. Patrick says:

Cheese Chester= One of the Pierogies in the race at PNC. Get it?

See, people are making suggestions for trades the Penguins should make that are kinda crazy…so I proposed a farcical situation in which the Penguins traded a REAL player to another team not even in their league for a cartoonish characterization of a popular local delicacy!

Get it? Hes a Pierogie!..you know…on, like…on skates……get it? That’s funny, right?

Never mind…..

67. TJ says:

Totally agree. Commercials just are not what they used to be. Not even close. You may get 2 or 3 that are good with 1 being really good. You can count on Go Daddy to have Dannica strolling around in a bikini, and Budweiser to have the dog.

68. LuckyNKentucky says:

I was rooting for that Kaepernick kid when he almost single-handedly beat Boise St. a couple years ago, breaking their streak of cupcake wins. I’ll have to pull for him Sunday. The Steelers will win more Super Bowls. They won’t always be stuck at 6.

There will be blood…really? In Pro football?

ahhhh..sorry, I totally forgot the Pierogie…my mind is in full hockey mode…sorry friend.

71. Brad, Indiana PA says:

TJ,

I thought Bush’s Baked Beans had the dog? Either way, combining those two won’t be good news for my wife and kids. At least there’s Dannica and her hall of fa… oh wait. She never wins anything. Bring on the bikini!

There’s always Kate Upton for you guys.

73. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Even the Geico commercials are pretty pathetic now. I have to admit, I’ll always have a place in my heart for the Aflac duck. Wife yells at me when I rewind to watch him when we are watching a show together. She says “they’re so stupid.” I respond, “Yeah, well, your mother likes the Swiffer commercials!”

74. TJ says:

Bush’s does have the dog but Budwesier has the dalmation that usually ends up involved some how.

75. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I forgot about the dalmation. Don’t watch many commercials any more with DVR (thank goodness). Will Bud still do the horses playing football or is that illegal now too?

76. TJ says:

etrade baby always makes me chuckle

77. Brad, Indiana PA says:

he is pretty good at what he does

78. Brad, Indiana PA says:

And there’s Drew in DK’s thermals for the ladies.

79. JHadar says:

Actually, as Iowa winters go this one and the last one have been extraordinarily mild and with the drought not much snow to deal with. Of course the warmer weather means we’re getting ice storms instead of rain when we get precipitation.

Cedar Rapids, like most of Iowa, is a great place to live — but I wouldn’t want to visit there.

You could skip the wagon train and fly right into town, though.

I’ll send a picture of Thunder to you.

For the ladies’ what?

Overrated.

83. TJ says:

Would be great to see the Trib do a commercial pimping DK in his Zack Morris Green jacket

On that happy note, signing off for the first flight.

I’ll leave you with this thought.

Absolutely true.

When I was newly married and traveling, I’d give my locations and relative times/dates to my wife. (Flying from Pittsburgh to Indy, arriving late afternoon.)

Not good enough. She demanded full itinerary with all flights, times and connecting locations.

I said sure. But why?

“So if you crash.”

So I always say a little prayer before takeoff. Both for the other passengers and crew, and to spite my wife.

85. Brad, Indiana PA says:

entertainment? enjoyment? work with me here…

86. Patrick says:

Super Bowl Commercial synopsis:

Pepsi and Taco Bell will make some over the top commercial with 2-3 hack celebrities that will be anything but funny.

All 3 major beer companies will introduce their new marketing campaign for the new year. On will work, one will fail.

Car commercials will completely fail to be interesting.

Doritos will be funny. E-trade will not.

Some dark horse company no one expects to do well will have the “funniest of the night”.

87. JHadar says:

Is there any chance that the Trib techies could make the (space for the) avatars bigger?

They’re shrunk so much that my poor dogs look like two columns of smoke and the ones with faces are really fuzzy. (Actually, they’re all really fuzzy.)

88. mjp1542 says:

Time to stop giving Adams excuses for his FT shooting. Most guys could shoot better blindfolded. I can understand 55-60 percent, but 30 percent is pathetic.

Amazing how Pitt stays in games with how horrible a shooting team it is. Says a lot about their toughness and Dixon’s coaching (am I allowed to say that?).

Well, looks like that 5 minutes just got a little longer for Rob Ryan

Enjoy the 4 peanuts Drew!

91. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Mr. JAL,

I know you have probably answered this numerous times, but I’ll ask again.
    How do you come up with the song of the day each day?

92. TJ says:

Maybe he can join Gregg Williams as an assistant in Tennessee. They kind of deserve each other.

93. Patrick says:

@JoshYohe_Trib Niskanen officially out 2 to 4 weeks. Was wearing walking cast today. Nothing season threatening, obviously.

94. Patrick says:

@Jason_La_canfora Penguins rumored to have soured on Niskanen since he wont man up and play with a broken foot.

With our luck, the flight will be delayed!

hey, JH how are you? Good to see you.

97. TJ says:

Ahh the ever so saint like Ray Lewis casting forgiveness upon Welker’s wife. I like the comment about no one saying a thing about the Patriots last year when they lost but he doesn’t mention how much of an idiot Suggs was after winning this year.

I LOVE that baby! lol

Guys, remember, this is a “G” rated blog!

100. JD says:

Roberto, I feel your pain. I’m in Charlotte. My connecting flight has “Maintenance issues??” Will likely miss my meeting in Birmingham.

Boo on USAir.

101. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Good thing the Yanks are on the hook to pay him $27 million per season until he’s 53.

happy flight Drew…said an extra prayer for the passengers ;)

103. TJ says:

The source on this is who?

104. JD says:

Boo on USAir.

ACK! THAT’S TOO LONG!!!!! :(

bahahaha! now that’s a funny!

I can’t believe Williams got hired this soon after Bounty-gate. Especially with that title.

Seems like there is more talk / mentions of me than the Pirates or the hot stove.
    Keep it up.

That is one way to get baseball talk back on the blog.

109. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Nothing some duct tape and Tussin can’t fix

110. TJ says:

I can’t believe the NFL is going to allow him to return in that role to be honest. But then again if you let Vick, Lewis and all the other thugs even those on the Steelers back in I guess you have to let a coordinator who never broke the law back in

111. pattonbb says:

Poor A-Fraud. Seems he may have lied to Peter Gammons. 2003?….2009?…close enough.

112. JD says:

The Aflac duck hasn’t been the same since they fired Gilbert Gottfried for making jokes about the tsunami. Imagine that, a comedian making jokes.

Boo on Aflac. Boo on Ben Aflec too!

113. Dom says:

Who would you suggest, 21?

114. radio wave says:

There is a story breaking out of miami concerning ped use and mlb. Article lists players nicknames, and real names. Among alligations is that A Rod was using ped’s through last season. Also lists Gio Gonzales of Nats, and more.

Gio Gonzalez is the new big name in the report. The other guys are known users.

Hope Tony Sanchez got his hands on some living down in Miami.

I heard it was 22, which seemed low.

117. likeabugonarug says:

9? That’s a heat wave for them this time of year.

118. likeabugonarug says:

And at least if someone has to tie us, it’s the 49ers and not those dang crygirls. Much rather put up with the tie than the Ravens winning the SB.

119. TJ says:

Did anyone hear the breaking news about ARod potentially using PED’s?

120. TJ says:

Someone left there politically correct dictionary home in Baltimore.

Flacco calls cold weather bowl “retarded”.

And did I really see a debate on whether Flacco deserves Drew Brees money?

Buster Olney is speculating that if ARod is busted, it might allow the Yankees to get rid of their mistake and the 5 more years of his contract. (Olney is a pay site, so thats why I didn’t post the link)

This is gonna be interesting

Flacco just proved all his critics right. What an Azz

123. JRay3 says:

Pitt actually is shooting 48.9% from the field 12th best in all of Division 1 Basketball. It shoots 35.9% from three-point range which ranks 90th our of 330+ teams.

Now when it comes to FT Shooting the club is just 66.1% from the line, much room for improvement.

124. SJB says:

Usually hijacking a blog to talk about things other than what the topic(s) was originally about ruins the thread and is frowned on but for some reason baseball fans and political zealots will do anything to get their point across here. I could easily get my Mom and her friends on here to talk about gardening, needlepoint and liver spots ad nausea all day to juice things up for you people who would rather talk about anything other than football, hockey or basketball. It’s a shame there are no other blogs on the Trib or elsewhere to get your baseball fix other than DK blog. You should try this site, I hear they just love talking B Ball here: http://www.thepensblog.com

125. JRay3 says:

Or as I like to say AFraud. Now I am reading where the Yankees may come after him for the remaining 200 Million or so that is owed to the cheat who no longer performs at a high level.

126. JaxBuc says:

That’s funny. If anyone is keeping track, I’ll take 10 Harbaughs on the OVER.

127. LuckyNKentucky says:

He deserves it if that happens. Hate to see the Spanks get off the hook, but I’d rather see that happen than him get his full contract. Don’t care much for the guy.

128. JHadar says:

I’m fine — just waiting for baseball season.

Someone wiz in your Cheerios, SJB?

130. Patrick says:

PED’s in Baseball?!?! No way!! They fixed that!

131. JHadar says:

And the black one is a cocker spaniel

132. JaxBuc says:

I’ll ignore your whole rant and try to beat DK to the punch. NO POLITICS HERE.

The one advantage I’ve seen in the Ravens being where they are is that Baltimore will be forced to pay Flacco elite quarterback money, tying up a bunch of Cap space, and then he will revert to being Joe Flacco.

134. Dom says:

Does anyone remember a super bowl miller light commercial that lasted only one second? It took place the year we defeated the Cardinals. You might remember string of the miller highlife commercials where the beer delivery guy would take away someone’s beer if he didn’t like the situation where the beer was being served at. For example, if to took the beer from a restaurant that serves an $11.50 hamburger. Anyways, the actor who played the delivery guy, Windell Middlebrooks, is standing alone and states, “One Mississippi,” and the commercial ends.

Every time I bring this up, nobody has any recollection of seeing it.

135. LuckyNKentucky says:

I probably saw it and didn’t see it, Dom. Takes my brain more than 1 second to process anything, as many of you well know from the blog.

I really liked that guy in those commercials.

136. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

whoa, big changes around these parts.

-Nice to see the Pens put up some D in Ottawa. To me, that’s what they lack in. They will be unstoppable if they can continue that type of defensive play.

137. JHadar says:

SJB —

You are right, there is something different about baseball fans. Here, on DK’s blog, we’ve become a sort of community. It’s not a matter of “hijacking” the blog. When I think of hijacking a blog I think of another blog where a group of fans with strong points of view rant and mock and call another group with an opposite point of view names who return the favor until every topic becomes the same old battleground and those in the middle or who just want to talk about what the blogger wrote are drowned out and eventually stop commenting or (worse) take sides in the war. That’s hijacking a blog.

So we wander around a bit in our conversation. Basketball? I love what Hoiberg is doing with the ‘Clones, but the Hawks have got to learn to shoot.

As for the day to day give and take, either join in or page down. It’s up to you. There’s a difference between a blog and a newsgroup.

138. Playoffs by 2012 says:

The Yankees will void the final 5 years of his deal…Then re-sign him for 7 years at $30 million per season and throw in a full no-trade clause.

It’s funny because it’s true…

Like +1

140. Dom says:

That’s funny.

141. AJS says:

My favorite part was that he tried to cover immediately and say “i probably shouldn’t say that.”

ya think Joe? You think that was probably something you shouldn’t have said? i’m surprised there isn’t more being made of it.

I don’t see any attribution there other than “Flacco’s camp.” If it’s his agent talking, and I wish they wouldn’t, you start at the high point.

143. LuckyNKentucky says:

You’re probably right, Playoffs. That’ll give them someone to nurture Pedro when he signs there in a few years.

144. AJS says:

Only if they continue that type of defensive play AND complement it with offense. It felt like they focused so much on defense in practice that day that they forgot that there was this whole thing about scoring goals they needed to take care of.

To be fair Ottawa played a pretty good defensive game themselves.

I’m not saying go back to trying to make every breakout pass a stretch play. All I want is to take control of the puck, make an educated outlet to a winger at the blue line, and have that winger either carry, headman, or dump. You know like a normal hockey team. Pretend the two line pass rule is still in existence.

145. LuckyNKentucky says:

A wise individual is JHadar.

First I think of a theme–this week the theme is winter since it started with snow and ice across the country. Then the songs come from memory (I still have memory) and a bit of search sometimes.

That would probably be enough to get them in the NCAAs?

148. Patrick says:

I find it very, very convenient all of this Ray Lewis Deer Antler story is coming out an hour before he takes the podium on Super Bowl media day. Almost as if it was a staged and premeditated event….just sayin…

Spring Training is in 2 weeks. Hang in there, friend :)

+3 JHadar for Prez!

I guess we’ll see tonight if they remember defense against the Islanders. I hope Tangradi’s head is on right ;)

152. JRay3 says:

After last night’s loss to Louisville, Pitt actually moved up in RPI (47), KenPom (6), and Sagarin (12) ratings. SOS is now 80 up 19 spots.

RPI and SOS only figure to improve greatly with Syracuse, Cinci, Marquette and Notre Dame as four of the next five opponents. Would be really nice to get 2-3 of these to add to the resume and help with seeding.

3-2 on the road in conference play with wins at Villanova and Georgetown help.

Latest bracket predictions show Pitt as 8/9 seed so room to improve if they can get some big wins.

153. VINNIE says:

I agree with previous posts about going to Olympic size rinks. With the size and speed of players today it only makes sense…. It’s not 1980 anymore where the average defenseman was maybe 5′ 9″ tall and couldn’t skate.
    Let’s get some room out there!
    I know, I know the poor owners will have to give up some seats but let’s do what’s good for the game!

154. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

He’s already admitted to it in the past though, not sure why this is new news.

155. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

I hope he gets it…

156. AJS says:

I’m pretty sure the last 3 months proved that the owners are not even remotely interested in what is best for the game.

157. Sjb,

Please go get your Mommy . . . . I think all of us would rather talk to her, even if it’s about gardening.

Did little snookums miss his nap today?

159. pattonbb says:

13 days, Groat!!!

160. 14 DAYS UNTIL PITCHERS & CATCHERS REPORT FOR PIRATE SPRING TRAINING

161. LuckyNKentucky says:

Until the hockey season reaches the mid-point?

Oh, Spring Training…..

Hallelujah. Then we can talk about that illegal subject without hijacking the blog. ;)

Quit hijacking the thread, you baseball meanie!

(Thanks for the shout outs. We get blamed even when we’re not talking baseball.). ;-)

163. TJ says:

More breaking news….

Now does anyone really expect Lewis to admit to it? I’m sure he’ll get by with an obstruction of justice charge

164. LuckyNKentucky says:

Hilarious, Groaty.

This is my favorite part:

“Ray has been randomly tested for banned substances and has never failed a test.”

Lance Armstrong is the most tested athlete in history and claims to have never failed a drug test.

Actually, he says we’re on the bubble.

167. TJ says:

Barry Bonds ranks up there with the “Never failed a test” group.

You look at the recovery time for Suggs and Lewis this year… quite remarkable now that I think about it

I don’t even buy the whole loss of revenue argument by the owners.

Ok, so you remove the first few rows of seats.

Just make rows 3 & 4 the same price as 1 & 2. That leaves you with, oh, about 17000 other seats for which you can raise the price evenly to make up for the net loss.

Not to mention the added benefit of improving the quality of the on-ice product and keeping your stars safer.

Makes too much sense, I suppose.

I’M SO MAD ABOUT PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT BASEBALL THAT I’M GOING TO TALK ABOUT PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT BASEBALL!!!!

That’ll show us, sport.

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Maybe God told him to do it??? ;-)

Personally I’ve had my fill of Mr Lewis

171. Christopher Walton says:

Not good news at all. Thought the initial report might be wrong. Ankles can take some time. Get on the bus to the burgh, Mark Eaton.

:;snicker::
    Oh, I feel so mean now.

173. pattonbb says:

“talking baseball…”

174. Dom says:

That’s not good news for me. I purchased like five boxes of twinkies in hopes that they would be valuable one day.

Spunky, you’re full of yourself today LOL!

Dom, stale Twinkies are NOT valuable, my friend.

177. Dom says:

Now, how will I get rich fast???

178. cosmo says:

Whatever happened to the “Office Linebacker”?

179. Dom says:

Don’t you think someone would have been willing to pay big bucks for them years from now?

I now need a new safety net.

180. Thanks for the good news, Bizzy!

You know, I haven’t had a Twinkie or Hostess Cupcake (yum, yum) in a long time, but I have been Jonesing for both since they became unavailable.

Sort of like winning baseball in Pittsburgh!!

181. LuckyNKentucky says:

Just a blog-jacker.

I’ll leave it to you pucksters, now. It’s a hockey night in the ‘Burgh, right?

I enjoyed the rant on DK’s show. Too bad they won’t video the whole show, then it would be Trib Live TV and not Radio, I guess.

182. Dom says:

Perhaps there is a fellow poster on this blog that would be willing to part ways with the ones he has. He just became a lot more desperate than he was just a few minutes ago…

You can be TC’s wrestling promoter ;)

184. TJ says:

I won’t name names but I happen to know someone who got $600 for 4 boxes of twinkies on ebay the day the announcement was made. Was another festivus miracle!

185. The stove gets hotter, the closer we get.

Maybe if you had them autographed by the inventor and it looks like he has passed.

187. cosmo says:

but don’t they last like forever … or was was it just 50 years

That’s just wrong.

189. Here’s some mid-afternoon predictions:

1/ Simon Depres is excellent tonight, with an assist and nice play around the net.
    2/ Sands is regular rightfielder over Snider once season starts. (unless they put Garrett Jones in right and Sands at 1st, as some have suggested.)
    3/ Tabata is moved for a 2nd or 3rd line pitcher near the end of Spring Training.
    4/ Teams won’t pitch to McCutch early in the season.
    5/ Malkin give the puck away on the power play.

190. LuckyNKentucky says:

In honor of Milo, who has been a no-show for a couple days:

Jerry Sands stinks.

I don’t know that for sure, but I thought I’d drop that in for our absent friend.

191. Ghost says:

Patrick Swayze here, checking in.

192. When the nuclear war comes, Dom will have the only food that survives!

193. pattonbb says:

Do we need to put an APB out on Milo? Jerry Sands does stink, by the way. Crap! We’re talking baseball again.

The Isles lost a close one to the Jets on Sunday, so they’ll be looking for a win tonite. It will be a good game, Spunky.

better leave God out of it, you might make Her angry ;)

LOL, you saw that last night, eh? ;)

197. TJ says:

If the Pirates get a 2nd or 3rd line pitcher for Tabata I’ll never complain about NH again. That is unless your meaning a 2nd or third tier pitcher along the lines of a Vin Mazzaro then thats a different story.

Where IS Milo???

#5 is a given, unfortunately.

200. Patrick(RI) says:

Late to the game, but if Pitt is put up against a #9 VCU, they will be blown away–VCU will have them for lunch!

201. Milo is not happy about the new avatars.

He is worried that we all will discover that he is really Nutting Hostage.

202. Thomas Jefferson,

Vin Mazzaro is exactly the kind of pitcher.
    Too bad we already have him!

203. JandyGirl,

I had to have ONE that I was sure of!

204. LuckyNKentucky says:

Now that you’ve insulted him, we may hear from him.

I could smack him upside the head when he does that! Grrr!

206. LuckyNKentucky says:

A size 9 along side that skimpy helmet would awaken him.

make that 9 WIDE ;)

208. TJ says:

I wish we had the option to decline a PP sometimes. All that freaking talent and can’t seem to get it going.

Is it me or does Letang seem to be having a harder time this year getting a clear shot on net?

209. TJ says:

Were still talking shoe size right….

210. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Do you take requests?
    :-)

TJ, yes, of course, what else were you thinking? :p

It’s the system ::sigh::

No, that would get too cumbersome.

214. TJ says:

The size of needle Ray Lewis used for his PED’s. What else would I be thinking??

On the Pirates web site:

“The Bucs’ NRI list currently includes 17, and there is at least one more on the way: Indications are that Francisco Liriano — when all the roadblocks to formalizing his signing are cleared — will wind up coming to camp on a Minor League deal and an invite. “

“Bringing in Liriano on a Minor League deal would give the team ample time to figure out how to make room on the 40-man for the veteran lefty, whose participation figures to be delayed due to the broken right arm that complicated his signing. “

217. Patrick says:

they are 5 for 19. That’s 26.3%

Dude..that is really really. good. If they finish at 26.3% for the year it wil be the highest PP success rate in the NHL in almost 30 years

218. Patrick says:

Folks..I hate to break the news to everyone. There *ARE other good players in the NHL besides Crosby, Malkin and Letang.

Sometimes…just sometimes…when they lose it will be because the other team played well, not because the Pens played bad. The other team is allowed to make a good play once in awhile, too.

219. JohnH says:

I am slightly confused by what your point is. This is Dejan Kovacevic’s blog. He is a general sports columnist for the Trib. He puts up a blog at his discretion with whatever subject matter he would like. Usually there is a daily one and depending on the day there will be event specific blogs. i.e. pitt vs whomever. DK usually posts about what he has written about or found interesting. He then allows others to post whatever they would like within the sports field. To my knowledge there are no restrictions. if someone would like to post about lacrosse they could. DK moderates it and comments on people comments for clarification purposes. There are other blogs on the site for specific subjects however this blog is the most commented on because of it’s a daily nature.

220. TJ says:

Patrick…. honestly…. Are you happy with how the PP has performed the last 3 games? Yep its a long season but I’m not just going on this year.

221. JRay3 says:

On a neutral floor based on ratings Pitt would be a four point favorite versus the VCU Rams.

222. macchamp74 says:

Anyone else having trouble reading this blog now that it is a blue color??

223. Dom says:

It’s not a blue color for me. The background is white and green.

The only part that is blue is a box around the comment box.

224. Dom says:

Yeah, Fleury too.

225. JohnH says:

Hey unfair. I was using my ability to skip post and assumed it was hockey related. because of the simon depress reference then notice the tabata comments and had to use my up arrow key. Boo to you and mixing the two sports. kidding

226. macchamp74 says:

I’m on I Pad…maybe different than a PC.

With a 12. whatever million contract

Interesting

228. Patrick(RI) says:

To my unprofessional eye, I would think Pitt will have to vastly improve ball-handling and shooting to handle Smart’s “chaos.” I think I see Pitt’s potential, but I think VCU would mangle them. (but March is a month away . . .)

No plane crashes today

Our prayers for Drew worked

I am on a laptop and the text of posts is black, reply is blue, the background is white, Lines around the post I an writing is blue until i post and then turns black

Meanwhile Mrs. Drew is saying, “Curses, foiled again” :)

Like +1

233. madturk says:

Maybe that is why he will retire after theSB game.

You don’t think Ray-Ray is ticking her off already???

235. Dave G says:

DK – just a note to say the blog is extremely difficult to read / follow via IPhone now. Wow.

The blog is almost impossible to follow on my phone. Too much scrolling around needed to see who posted where. Not that easy to follow on the computer either. Have to go back to posts made several hours ago to see what people are saying.

Completely disagreed when Naje used to complain about the old format. Much easier to follow because everything was sequential and in real time.

I guess I’m an old simpleton, but I am going to find where Milo is playing and go there.

237. Ghost says:

John,
    At this early stage, I’d have to say I completely agree. “Sequential and in real time” was much easier to follow, even if that meant various different conversations going on at once. The one thing we all may want to try, however, is opting to *not* reply within posts and keeping things “in time” on our own. Only when a few people have something really contentious or really arcane going, could they opt (or be gently told) to keep things threaded.

Just a thought, don’t know how it might all play out.

238. Ghost says:

John and Others,

Just a thought, don’t know how it might all play out.

239. TJ says:

I just had an opportunity to take a look at my most recent SI issue with Frick and Frack on the cover. One thing that I found interesting was found on page 42….

If everyone will indulge me if you have a copy of SI. Please turn to page 42 and take a look at what you see in the picture. A picture of Ray Lewis dropping to one knee arms stretched wide in celebration. Tom Brady was in the back ground so I’m unable to tell whether it was after the game or not. But if I remember correctly the Ravens were on offense to end the game which means said celebration took place during the game.

If I remember correctly Kiesel was given a 15 yard penalty for dropping to one knee in celebration. So it begs to ask the question which is meaningless at this point but still helps me pass some time.

1. Why wasn’t the Duke of Dirty flagged?
    2. If a player that is not directly involved with the play drops to a knee in celebration does the 15 yard penalty apply? In my opinion its no different than holding when its on the other side of the field but what do I know.
    3. Was the Duke of Dirty given a pass as it could have appeared as he was once again thanking god that he was wearing a ravens uniform and not a prison uniform?

Found that picture rather interesting and in some ways shows the inconsistencies across the officiating; but then again this was Ray’s final ride so I’m sure they were told not to throw a flag (sarcasm)

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back