Wednesday Wakeup Call: Pittsburgh’s birthright

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media columnist

Morning, lunatics …

>> The Wednesday column proposes the perfect location for the 50th edition of the Super Bowl in three years … and wonders why no one locally is pushing for it.

Interested in your thoughts/ideas related to this.

>> Here’s this week’s TribLIVE Radio show podcast from yesterday, sponsored by Sports Yapper. My thanks to Steven Adams, the Trib’s Mark Kaboly and the inimitable Suck Meter.

And here’s video of the opening segment on the Penguins facing fast wingers …

>> The Penguins not only found a way to beat the Islanders last night in Uniondale, not only killed off all seven penalties, not only extended their winning streak to four, but also … well, look for yourself.

Yeah, they’ve played two more games than most, and it’s early and all that.

But you’re not tossing it back, are you?

>> Paul Martin is playing wonderful hockey. Smart, quick, aggressive and very wound with the puck. I’m going to try to repeat praise of Martin as often as I might have criticized him last year, out of fairness.

>> Today is national signing day for scholastic football recruits, which I’m presuming means Tyler Boyd will have to commit to a school before he schedules his next five visits.

Follow our coverage all day on all of region’s colleges and high schools.

>> Not a great day for the competent faction of the National League Central: The Cardinals learned they’ll be without Chris Carpenter all year. And the Brewers learned that the Ryan Braun PED tale isn’t going away.

>> This might occur mostly off the radar now, but Lindsey Vonn’s ugly skiing accident yesterday in Austria will be a huge storyline come Sochi next winter.

My experience in covering Vonn in Vancouver strongly suggests she’ll be very sensitive to every step of her recovery — I’ll leave it there — and I wonder if U.S. Alpine officials weren’t overly optimistic in expressing that she’ll be back to action before the Olympics.

>> I’ll make a guest appearance on TribLIVE Radio today at 1:30 p.m. Listen here.

Comments

DK,

What do you think of Robert Bortuzzo so far ? I like what I see.

DK: I do, too, Milo, and I suppose eventually I’ll get over the gangly skating style. That’s usually such a red flag for younger players, but all that ultimately matters is being where you’re supposed to be when you’re supposed to be there.

It’s a small window so far. Let’s see how he fares when Phil Kessel or Evander Kane tries to blow around him to the outside.

Now that New York has pierced the northern veil and a Super Bowl will played outdoors in a northern venue, I am surprised that more northern cities are not aggressively pursuing the economic boon that is the Super Bowl.

I think the NFL ought to consider Kansas City. Lamar Hunt was a co-founder of the AFL and is credited with coining the term “Super Bowl” in a letter to Commissioner Rozelle. He was instrumental with realization of the merger, often having to deal with the arrogance of the NFL.

3. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I think they should have it in…YAWN…Miami again.

4. Andy says:

DK, what do you mean “sensitive to every step”? Not as a pushing for the scoop angle but more of a “I don’t get your wording.”
    That accident and the X Games accidents have cast a pall over winter outdoor sports. But like any sport, it’ll be short-lived. (NASCAR hasn’t stopped despite numerous fatalities).

DK: Let’s just say that Ms. Vonn wasn’t shy about citing her many ailments all through the competition up in Whistler.

5. Ghost says:

I like the idea of Pittsburgh throwing their hat into the ring. But one downside that immediately comes to mind is that should Pittsburgh get a Super Bowl, this would probably mean that someday Cleveland, too, would get one. Do we really want to wish that on humanity?

6. Ghost says:

For Jandy, who has a secret crush on Ray Lewis, you just know this is how you’d behave if Mr. 52 ever showed up at your door:
    ;)

7. JW says:

It will be interesting to see what the weather is in East Rutherford next year, and how the crowd reacts to it. If people aren’t happy paying $800 (or whatever face value is these days) to sit in 15 degree temperatures, that’ll be it for cold weather outdoor venues.

What struck me about the column is that every NFL city from Green Bay to Charlotte could run a similar piece on how they could handle a Super Bowl. I didn’t see a reason why Pittsburgh would be any more deserving than, say, Cleveland. And I hope we never see another G-20 level security disruption again.

DK: Birthplace of pro football? Rooney family? Six Lombardi Trophies? It was all right up there in the lede.

And nothing would ever compare to securing our Downtown for 20 heads of state.

8. bradthedad says:

Reason for no Super Bowl was briefly mentioned – hotel rooms. My relatives from Philly always come to town for Phillie-Buc series and hotels are always sold out (and stupid expensive but that’s a different story). No disrespect to the Pirates but the Super Bowl is a tad bigger event.

DK: Your anecdotal stance is unsupported by the facts.

9. scapper says:

So true about the hotel situation. Just ridiculous. Can’t imagine going to the SB and having to stay at the West Mifflin Comfort Inn. And don’t get me started on the restaurant situation.

10. Fat Jimmy says:

Dejan, I find your affinity for Pittsburgh to be charming and I’ve semi-joked before that the Chamber of Commerce should put you on their board of directors. But this column jumped the shark on homer-ism. The reason why the Rooneys have never advocated for the Super Bowl and why they wouldn’t even give you a statement is because they know the idea is absurd.

The Super Bowl isn’t a birthright. Individuals pay thousands (tens of thousands) of dollars to attend. Sponsors pay millions and millions. It isn’t greedy or disrespectful of the NFL to choose a location where they have the highest probability of showing all of those people a great time. Your column ticked off several MAJOR issues Pittsburgh faces in respect to hosting that event. It’s easy to try and dismiss them as single line items, but when you put them together … it just doesn’t make sense.

The most relevant one you glazed over. New Orleans needed almost all of its 50,000 hotel rooms to accommodate the event. Allegheny County has LESS THAN HALF OF THAT NUMBER! Could you imagine if people who spent thousands of dollars to come to have fun for a week were forced to stay at the Springfield Suites in Greensburg??? I hear that they have a new Applebees out there, though.

Bill Simmons of Grantland has written a lot about the Super Bowl experience and I think he’s had some prescient thoughts on it. Even warm weather places like Jacksonville have failed because there aren’t enough nearby hotels (PGH: check), there aren’t enough cabs (PGH: check), there isn’t enough things to do (PGH: sorry, especially in the winter for 100,000 people, check), restaurants, etc. etc.

And I think it’s a bit ridiculous to suggest that Pittsburgh DESERVES the Super Bowl because of our heritage. So we should get the NFL’s biggest prize because we’ve already been disproportionately blessed in pro football? I’m sure the rest of the NFL world will agree with that logic. It’s like giving an academic scholorship to a C- student because he was the captain of the football team, prom king, dated the head cheerleader and was voted most popular. Since life has already given him so many things, he deserves to get one more underserved honor, too.

Keep the Super Bowl in places that are fun to go in the winter: Miami, New Orleans, San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix … heck, even New York.

DK: You’re dead wrong on hotels. Indianapolis has LESS THAN HALF of Allegheny County’s hotels. And Indianapolis doesn’t havr anything approaching the hotel concentrations building up in Cranberry or Southpointe on the immediate edges of the county. Nothing was glossed over. Not by me, not by the head of the visitors’ bureau.

Everything else in your response is either a personal attack or your opinion.

You’re usually much better equipped than this in your arguments, James. I am disappointed.

11. Byebyebuccos says:

DK – the only issue with Pittsburgh hosting a SB is that Heinz Field is an absolute dump. There are few stadiums that are as pathetic as the Mustard Dump.

My unsolicited two cents…I like what I see as well. And he isn’t intimidated at all. Cautiously optimistic that he’s gonna be fine.

the NFL arrogant? Surely you jest….(yes, a snide remark!) ;)

JAL’s Gatsby’s Restaurant Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Spring Training Tracker

BLOGS and such

5—Pirates Prospects

First Pitch: The Starting Pitching Depth

6 Bucs Dugout

Francisco Liriano deal ‘still on track,’ according to report

Another look at the 2012 Pirates Jekyll and Hyde offense

7 This is Getting Old

Roster Watch: Starling Marte

8 The Green Weenie

Pirate Week In History, Hall of Famers Galore

9 Rumbunter

The Keith Law Dumpfest: Starling Marte, Vic Black, Gerrit Cole, Top 100 Prospects

10 Yahoo Sports

For Pittsburgh Pirates, Roster Continuity a New and Necessary Step Forward

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

11 Patriot News

A decade of Pittsburgh Pirates struggles: 10 players whose best days were in different uniforms

12 Baseball News Source

Pittsburgh Pirates: Assessing An Improving Farm System

13 Alabama Media Group

Mobile pitchers Jake Peavy, P.J. Walters, Kyle McPherson heading for spring training

14 FOX Sports

NL teams’ biggest spring training questions

15 PBC Site

Bucs know Cards are still force without Carpenter

16 New York Times

A Report Links Braun to a Florida Clinic Under Scrutiny by Baseball

17 Altoona Mirror

Curve lose family member

18 Sweetspot

Carpenter one of the best of his generation

SPORTS WEBSITES

19 Baseball Prospectus

8 Interesting NRIs

20 Fangraphs

Q&A: Gerrit Cole, Future Pirates Ace

Steelers Blogs

21 Behind the Steel Curtain

Mocking the Steelers roster: Out with the old

22 Steelers Depot

- 2013 Steelers Salary Cap – Rule Of 51, Cap Number & Contract Restructure Primer

Soccer(football)

23 Daily Telegraph

Match-fixing: reports saying goalkeeper Vukasin Poleksic had acted illegally is old news, say Debrecen

24 World Soccer Daily

10 stories you need to read, 5th February, 2013

PENGUIN BLOGS and NHL Links

25 Pensburgh

Game Recap: Penguins beat Islanders 4-2

haha Patrick, Swayze, you don’t know Jandy very well…
    If I don’t like someone, I don’t care who they are, I either ignore them or let them know it.
    Mr. 52 just might get my size 9 wides to his posterier side ;)

Gatsby’s Restaurant June Carter Cash 1975 From her Appalachian Pride album.

JW, i don’t know about most fans, but DaBurgh would fill everyone of those seats in Zero weather.

20. Pat4Pgh says:

Dejan,

Great column! As a diehard ‘Burgher, I agree that it would be a dream come true…..

But, it is only a dream.

Heinz is a dump, there aren’t enough hotels and transporting thousands of visitors would be rather difficult. And, lastly, Goodell woudl never let it happen; for someone owes his livelihood to the Rooneys, he sure seems to enjoy disrespecting them and the Stellers….

But, thank you for “making my morning”!

DK: There are ample hotel rooms. Repeating that there aren’t because of a widely held misperception doesn’t make it so. Times change. Hotels get built. We’ve had a boom.

21. Justin says:

Look, I know that they have an indoor stadium for the game but if Detroit can host the Super Bowl then Pittsburgh can as well. That city was shut down for Super Bowl XL and the snow was continuous, still people made it into the city and had a lot of fun. I was in Detroit for that Super Bowl and it took me 2 1/2 hours to get from Windsor (Canada) to downtown Detroit but when I finally got down there it was a great time. No reason Pittsburgh couldn’t have the same thing especially with the T running in to downtown.

Dejan. Next you’ll be writing that Pittsburgh should host a World Series.

This town needs more minds like Dejan.

So you’re saying, JUST minds, not bodies, right?

Cause you want to WIN these games.

25. AL says:

Dejan……is it me or is anyone else getting tired of seeing the same 3 healthy scratches of Jeffrey,Tangradi and Lovejoy? You could almost just do a screenshot and post it before each Roots sports broadcast. Don’t you want to play these guys at least once in awhile to shake off the rust?

I didn’t read DK’s column today. But I am not sure how hosting a Super Bowl makes you a first class city. Especially if there are a lot of things that could backfire and cause you to look like a second rate city. (see Jacksonville….and maybe even Dallas a few years ago)

I think he would have to write about baseball for that to happen.

Who do you sit for each of these guys to play? No one is playing poorly now to warrant a change.

29. scapper says:

Wow. Perfectly said from start to finish.

30. bdubb says:

It was mentioned in the article that “it would be fairer” to play the game in Pittsburgh but I could not find why it would be fairer? I don’t know what could be more fair than playing a game in perfect conditions in a dome or a Southern/Western city.

I am in excited to watch a Super Bowl in the snow. Teams work hard all year to get there and snow games always add an element to the game. I would rather watch 2 teams in ideal conditions going to their strengths and not making adjustments to the snow. Don’t count me as a fan of wanting Super Bowls in outdoor climates in cold weather. Charlotte never gets considered and the weather is fair and the stadium is over 75k. I just can’t see it happening for any city outside of NYC

31. Dom says:

Check out #9 on JAL’s list. I’m a little surprised that Keith Law placed 5 of our prospects in the top 100 and 3 of them in the top 40.

32. AL says:

to Jandy…..
    yes no one is playing poorly but I was thinking that with the intense schedule you would want to rotate these guys in so as to give some players a few extra days rest.

33. radio wave says:

All the years I was in Houston they promised a Astrodome Super Bowl. Never happened.

Hosting large events of national and world focus forces the city to evolve.

We’re not going to convince anyone to come here just by being the same place we were in the ’80s. Pittsburgher’s by nature seem to have a defeatist mentality. “Can’t” usually just means “won’t”.

All the “problems” listed above have obvious solutions.

DK: To further bolster your point, no city might be less aware of the good things it’s ALREADY achieved than hours. Even in the face of cold, hard facts such as, you know, counting hotel rooms.

35. buggee says:

Play the super bowl in London

36. buggee says:

Jandylicious would react much differently if a certain greasy-haired, pointy-headed blue-liner wearing a flightless bird logo on his shirt along with number 58 showed up at her door.

37. Iceman says:

I am also cautiously optimistic as well. He seems to play his position well and seems to make sure he is in the right place. It is also encouraging that he is not backing down when someone gets in his face. I like to see that in a young player coming into the league and playing against the best in the world. I will be interested to see what happens in 3 weeks when Niskanen comes back. Assuming there are no other injuries among the defensive core, I’m not sure who the odd-man out is (although I think it may still have to be Bortuzzo).

Whats a “World Series???”

39. Fat Jimmy says:

Just because the NFL made a mistake awarding a Super Bowl to Detroit doesn’t mean they should make another one.

40. Fat Jimmy says:

I think it’s that thing in the Fall that helps us avoid having to listen to Joe Buck call football games.

41. leefoo says:

Jandy….AGREE!

And, it would be sweeter if we were going for our EIGHTH trophy by then!

42. leefoo says:

Sorry….but I have NEVER had any trouble getting a room at any of the Marriots around town.

Travelin Foo

43. leefoo says:

having been to the Astrodome, I can see why.

44. Fat Jimmy says:

If your suggestion is that the city needs to dramatically overhaul its infrastructure (and raise taxes in the process to pay for it), so that it can be more than it is today, then I’ll accept your point. But wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first. “Can’t” doesn’t always mean “won’t” … sometimes “can’t” means “can’t.” And, in this instance, it means “can’t.”

I don’t think it belittles Pittsburgh to say that it can’t host a Super Bowl. There are many many many fine cities and towns in this country that also can’t handle a Super Bowl. That doesn’t make them less of a city, just as it doesn’t make Miami more of a city for being able to do it. It’s just that everyplace has different qualities, and Pittsburgh’s qualities don’t match up with the necessary requirements of hosting The Big Game.

DK: Compared to Indianapolis and Detroit, it actually exceeds them on every level except a roof on the stadium. But please, go on.

45. leefoo says:

Us True Believers aren’t surprised at all!

In fact, I bet that had we signed Appel and Bell not gotten hurt, we probably would’ve had seven.

Btw, Robbie Grossman was number 103.

Heredia was # 104 on Jon Mayo’s list.

Foo

46. leefoo says:

I loved this from # 12!

“For all the decades of faux-rebuilding (Cam and Dave), it took GM Neal Huntington and his staff just five years to turn the farm system into a quality cupboard of plus-potential players.”

Next step….the MAJORS!

Foo

47. leefoo says:

sorry…wrong place for the above reply.

48. Fat Jimmy says:

I live in North Carolina now and I saw a story on the news this week in which the head of Charlotte’s Chamber of Commerce went to New Orleans to start making determinations of whether it could support the Super Bowl. The representative came back with the determination that they didn’t have the hotel infrastructure to support it. They aren’t writing it off yet, but that’s a major hurdle for many cities, not just Pittsburgh.

49. leefoo says:

Us True Believers aren’t surprised at all!

Btw, Robbie Grossman was number 103.

Heredia was # 104 on Jon Mayo’s list.

Foo

hey Foo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H*ll yeah, Foo!

Haha! HE shows up at my door, and I’ll drag him inside for sure!! ;) ;) ;)

53. LuckyNKentucky says:

Whoever doesn’t have to clear waivers will be send down…simple as that..

Like +1

Please send that advice to the bunkers on Federal Street

Always play the hot player. When he cools off, then make a change. ;)

Am talking about the comment “If you never ACT like a first class city, you’ll never BECOME a first class city.”

59. leefoo says:

agree with the Detroit comment FJ

However, I will ALWAYS have fond memories now of that city.

I don’t recognize the City you describe.

Pittsburgh is FAR FAR FAR from the city is was in the 80s.

If Pittsburghers had a Can’t attitude, it would not have approved Plan B and have two new stadiums, one state of the art. MORE IMPORTANTLY, it would still be a dying hulk of a former steel city that much of the midwest is.

Pittsburgh has evolved its economy far more and far better than any other former steel center that I can think of. It has been written about for its success in economic, cultural and housing diversity by such, um, diverse media as the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. Their articles often cite places like Youngstown, Cleveland, Gary as places that WISH they had the foresight and diversity of Pittsburgh.

Health care, education, technology and their feeder industries…growing and often thriving.

Housing bubble that destroyed the economy in many many other places…non-existent. Yes, Pittsburgh never had those “false gains” of 10% annual housing value jumps of a decade ago. It plugged along at 1-4% growth, every year, good and bad. Tragic.

Downtown…remade and beautiful.

Dejan’s Downtown homerism, though sometimes (often) over the top, is based on a real turnaround, real growth, real facts.

I am not a Pittsburgh homer. I get a little obnoxious making fun of the homerism. I don’t want to return to Pittsburgh for reasons other than vacation.

But I am also not stuck in the 1980s denigrating a wonderful turnaround, earned by good people.

Many people consider Seattle to be a great city. I am one of them. Seattle will never have a Super Bowl. Never. Doesn’t make it a “can’t” city. Not defeatist. Its other strengths are obvious.

Just as with Pittsburgh.

61. leefoo says:

Nothing worse than being a Steeler friend and having two of your monthly lunch friends be Raven fans. Thank God the 4th guy is a Steeler fan.

Even the “You griped about Irsay stealing your team, so YOU go and steal a team” comment didn’t phase them.

Shoulda cancelled the lunch!

62. leefoo says:

“Steeler FAN”

63. LuckyNKentucky says:

Just 5 years to collapse twice on the Major League level. What a miracle man!

Next step…..Neal, Frank, Kyle and the crew out the door.

64. Iceman says:

While I agree about the hotel issue, Im not so sure that I agree with everything else here. Remember that Pittsburgh made National Geographic’s Top 20 Best Places in the World to Visit. Unless the people from NatGeo are out of their minds, there is apparently something attractive about visiting our city. And about the hotel issue. If we can all agree that lodging in Pittsburgh is lacking, isn’t the Super Bowl coming as good of a reason as any to finally address this issue. Maybe this would be the shove the city needs to add some more places to stay downtown as more and more tourists come to visit our beautiful city.

65. Iceman says:

Is there anyone but Despres that doesn’t have to clear waivers? Can we really send him back down with the way he is playing?

66. Iceman says:

By having the World Series in Pittsburgh they can be sure they would be playing somewhere with no fear of home-field advantage.

Like ;-)

They neglect to mention that St. Louis and Chicago have higher rated systems.

69. Steve says:

I love the city of Pittsburgh but see no need for the Super Bowl to be held there or in any other cold weather city with an open air stadium for that matter. Yes football is meant to be played outdoors in all weather conditions but I prefer a Super Bowl in places like San Diego or Miami. Don’t care at all for the domed stadiums.

DK – loved the interview with Steven Adams yesterday but I didn’t sense he shares the same passion for Crowded House that you do.

DK: He does not.

70. NYBuccoFan says:

I like your reasons for KC. LA should be considered since they had Super bowl I. Green Bay have won the most total titles so I could see them picked for Super Bowl L. Pittsburgh should have a chance too, but these other 3 cities have history going for them.

My car broke down in Gary once. Good times.

Nice post. Now if they could only do something about the weather . . .

At least Gary has a song written about it.

74. LuckyNKentucky says:

That’s the single worst city I’ve ever been through in my life. Even worse than Cleveland and Youngstown.

The had a sign “City By the Lake”, but you couldn’t see the lake for the filthy air. Glad we were just going by and not stopping.

75. Patrick says:

I fully appreciate the heart of the article, really I do. We may or may not be the Mecca of hockey, but there can be little doubt we are the Mecca of football for all the reasons stated in the article.

But The truth is Pittsburgh is a difficult city to navigate. Compared to other cities the public transportation is lacking. Getting to and from the Stadium by foot is almost impossible unless you live on the north shore, and their aren’t many hotels up that way. Simply from a logistical standpoint the city would be ill suited.

I have lived abroad in San Fan, Chicago, LA and Seattle. LA and Chicago would be ideal. Seattle and San Francisco Would be ill fit to host for almost the exact same reason Pittsburgh would have issues. A big city built on a hill side and wrapped around inconvenient bodies of water.

Personally I am shocked the NFL has crammed the Super Bowl into LA as a means to sway locals to bringing back a team.

DK: Heinz Field is hard to walk to? From Downtown? That will be news to the thousands who daily walk over the $10 million pedestrian/bike bridge attached to the side of the Fort Duquesne Bridge in 1999.

76. leefoo says:

hey Jandy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :) (and those are for Drew)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

77. leefoo says:

Patrick…it does suck compared to other cities, navigation wise. Agree.

AW,
    I didn’t read the reviews of the farm systems, but Jim Duquette said on XM yesterday that he wasn’t buying into the hype about the Cubs’ system. He felt too many of the prospects were in the lower levels, single A and lower.

Its called that “spin” thingee

Mike Mignola’s penned and drawn “Hellboy” comes out today. First time he has drawn and written the comic in six years.

Nerd blogs are all hot and bothered so don’t forget to get to your friendly neighborhood comic book store. Please buy the physical media and not the digital download!

81. Patrick says:

Oh…and does it make me a bad person that I am more happy about who is at the bottom of the Eastern Conference than who is at the top?

12 Philadelphia 4 6 0 8
    13 Florida 3 5 1 7
    14 Buffalo 3 6 1 7
    15 Washington 2 7 1 5

You can.

Winter in Florida.

I thought that only happened on ‘Federal Street’

Does anyone know how Pitt is doing with football signees?

85. Iceman says:

How weird is it to see Philly and NY Rangers out of the playoffs right now and the Islanders in the playoffs. Oh and what happened to the Rangers being favorites to come out of the East?

86. Fat Jimmy says:

Look, you’re taking my long post and distilling it down to: “Pittsburgh sux”. That’s not my point at all. Admittedly, I did make the point (and I stand by it) that Pittsburgh is not a highly attractive winter destination; hopefully that isn’t an opinion that people find completely incomprehensible.

The hotel issue is a major one. As is the poor public transportation infrastructure. And outside of the city setting up FEMA-style trailors in Point State Park, the only way to get more hotels is create enough demand for the private sector to invest in them. Marriott isn’t going to build 10 new locations in the city solely on the prospect of drawing the Super Bowl. They’ve got to be viable even after the Super Bowl finishes.

87. Fat Jimmy says:

Exactly.

88. Fat Jimmy says:

Again, put exactly right, Drew.

“Heinz Field is hard to walk to? From Downtown?”

Apparently. We had to spend $523 million to extend light rail 1.2 miles.

DK: The original goal, maybe you’ll recall, was just to get under the river and eventually extend to the airport, to the North Hills or both. If you ever look at the alignment of the final leg of track on the Heinz Field side, it angles away from the casino for that very reason.

I have great doubt this will ever happen. Not sure current airport traffic would ever make it worth it. But the purpose — whatever your views of its success — wasn’t to cut out a short walk as much as it was to go to points beyond.

Sorry, but that’s an easy walk.

19 players signed, waiting to hear from a few more, Tyler “I need attention” Boyd’s press conference I believe started at 10.

92. Fat Jimmy says:

I thought about making the navigation point in my post above, and I’m glad you made it. And again, it doesn’t make Pittsburgh less of a city, just as Seattle and San Francisco are hardly less of cities.

I thought of Green Bay, too. I’ll never forget Goodell saying when the Packers beat the Steelers that the Lombardi trophy was back where it belongs.

I’m not talking Olympic-type overhauls for one event.

But the transportation and cultural features that make cities good super boal sites also usuall make them pretty decent cities. If restaurants and entertainment facilities attract visitors, theres also a good chance they’ll attract residents.

A personal attack ???????? On who . . . The faux scholarship jock?

96. Patrick says:

@DK We are used to it. Most people from big cities would be used to a 15-20 block walk to a stadium. But the SB has people that are more used to parking 1/4 in the lots, not 3 miles away across the bridge. You know the fans at a SB are different than the usual residents of Heinz field. So for them, yes, the walk would be a pain in the butt. But I suppose shuttle buses are easy enough to manage.

But its not just downtown, but for all the people not coming from outside coming in. You have been around the US. You know that getting around in Pittsburgh is more difficult than say, Chicago or Detroit. Everyone remebers driving behind that guy with the Florida license plate on the parkway and how much fun that is…imagine that x 50k.

DK: So much of this is incorrect, largely because of the premise that the locals somehow are the ones attending the game. They aren’t. And transportation isn’t much of an issue anywhere because charter buses and dedicated bus lines do almost all of the official people-moving.

97. Dom says:

Let’s hear it for my man Fleury. He saved 32 of 34 shots. He is among the league’s elite.

98. Dom says:

Yup.

Tyler Boyd going to Pitt.

101. Brad, Indiana PA says:

My impressions from Pens game last night…

Have to say I’m pleasantly surprised with Polly Martin so far this year. His quintessential I” can get knocked off the puck like a ragdoll” happened last night and I chuckled when it did, but overall he’s been much better. I’m not ready to tout him as a shutdown guru like Errey and I don’t think he’s as quick as DK says, but he’s markedly improved.

Simon Despres looks like the real deal (not Neal) to me. Strikes me as a nice combo of Orpik and Letang in one. I can’t see any justification for sending him back to AHL. For basically a rookie D to stop the play in his own end with an excellent finishing check, then go down and score on a bouncing one-timer is pretty impressive.

Geno and Sid are still blind passing through the middle with reckless abandon- I hope that’s under control soon.

The Islanders are not pushovers. Not even close. But they are still a trashy organization IMO after that debacle a couple years ago. I hate Ovechkin as much as anyone else hates Crosby, but I wouldn’t cheer and taunt if he took a puck to the face. McDonald should have manned up instead of letting Martin take over his big boy pants business. Maybe venue dictates behavior there.

Biggest disappointment of the year so far goes to my preseason #2 pick for the honor- Tyler Kennedy. Not just because he isn’t scoring. It’s because when he isn’t scoring, what the deuce else is he doing? Yep. Nothing. No defensive value, no passing ability and his grinding and forechecking aren’t what they were 2 years ago. Not even close. He’s got a big boy salary now- he needs to earn it and he’s not.

Best surprise so far this year- toss-up between Despres and Glass. I didn’t have great expectations for either. Despres for his all-around play (including some errors which he seems to actually learn from. That interference call last night was just a horrible call…) Glass because he’s immediately added emotion to the team, plays hard and is very effective on the forecheck and especially defense. He looks like a guard playing zone D with all the stick swinging, but it sure is disruptive.

102. leefoo says:

EXACTLY the responses I expected here!

103. leefoo says:

TC….it all depends on who you read. But the Bucs are being rated highly in all the various outlets.

Encouraging…not yet translating to the MLB level, but, as the immortal Syd said “It ain’t easy resurrecting the dead”

FO Zombie Foo

Thanks for the update, 21, Boyd is good news indeed

like #1

I was referring to Law. So he’s right about Pittsburgh, but wrong about Chicago?

107. leefoo says:

agree…walking is easy…driving sucks.

But then driving sucks in most cities. Its those one way streets that kill me. One way in and another way out.

Foo

Foo, have you had your coffee yet? ;)

109. Naterosboro says:

I know this is extremely faint praise, but at least the teams [of the past 2 seasons] were in a position to collapse. With Cam and Dave (barring 1997), we had trouble making it out of the cellar.

Not in 10 degree (F) weather. Brrrrrrrrrr.

111. Fat Jimmy says:

Hey, Dejan, I’m sorry, man, but if you don’t realize that you extraordinarily passionate about Pittsburgh, then you’ve got serious self awareness issues. So don’t accuse me of making “personal attacks” against you when I suggest that your column “jumped the shark on homerism.” I guess when you asked for feedback, what you were really asking for was “Tell me how brilliant I am.”

112. LuckyNKentucky says:

You got ‘em! :P

You don’t need to give me a lecture on Downtown Pittsburgh. I live here.

Setting the bar as improving over some of the most decrepit rust belt cities is not helping your point.

Those two new stadiums you boast about are surrounded by a sea of asphalt parking lots. Over 15% of properties in the city are vacant or tax delinquent. Public transportation is struggling to survive.

I’m very proud of where the city has come, but it still has a long way to go.

114. Fat Jimmy says:

And, seriously, if you’re going to accuse me of getting personal, then I might as well get my money’s worth. Gee, the head of the Pittsburgh visitor’s bureau thinks the city has what it takes to host a Super Bowl? Quelle Surprise! Hey, here’s a thought, why don’t you interview the MOST BIASED PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD on this topic as your expert source for the column?

And, Dejan, your own column points out that almost all of the 50,000 hotel rooms in New Orleans were booked. Why are you so shocked that we are all agreeing with the facts you laid out in your column.

BTW, Indianapolis got very poor reviews last year on having enough hotel rooms. There was serious price gauging going on.

I just hope it stays relatively close to being this way,….for the next 30+ games lol

I guess that makes me bad too ;)

117. LuckyNKentucky says:

Good point, Nate and I respect your positive attitude. You’re 26, right? And do you remember the Sid Bream slide or any semblance of winning baseball in the ‘Burgh other than those two teams being in a position to collapse?

We needed one of those 2 teams to step up, along with their FO. That nonsense, Hoka Hey, Embrace the Suck and all those things warrant a short leash for Neal and the gang. We were’nt that far from the cellar last season.

He definitely kept his composure last night…. 7 friggin penalties to kill. This win goes to the PK and to Fleury!

119. Fat Jimmy says:

Dejan has become ridiculously sensitive. The closest thing I came to a personal attack was suggesting that he is a homer. Honestly, I didn’t realize that point was even up for debate. I mean, the guy has a book entitled “50 things that make Pittsburgh great” or whatever the #@%@ it’s called.

DK: I have no book. I’d like to think I’ve always taken a lot of time to find out stuff about our city. Used to get mocked — kind of like this — about Downtown, at least until Downtown now has 96 percent office occupancy, two new skyscrapers going up and 7,000 new residents. Then it becomes so obvious that only the most small-minded can continue to ignore it and repeat memes from 1985.

If I were sensitive, James, I wouldn’t engage as I do. And you know that I enjoy it so!

Have a superb rest of the day ducking the hotel room issue, my friend.

Carry a flask.

Now, Brad, you have to lay off calling Paul Martin names, as he is doing well. It makes you look immature :p

Depres is a pleasant surprise. Sure, he makes mistakes, but so does Tanger and Brooksie. He’s being targeted to try to get him off his game, but he’s handling it well.

The Islanders are a very good NHL team. Not great, but very good. They could just shock everyone and be in the final. They have the talent. Not disagreeing with your trash statements, because they are true.

Glass is a welcome addition to this team. I love what he brings…and he brings it every game. Shame on Martin butting in and taking over that fight…that was MacDonald’s mess to clean up. Wuss.

Ehh,…walking actually keeps me warm. Gets the heart pumping.

see? he’s smiling ;)

125. Playoffs by 2012 says:

They would have to fix the grass on the field or install field turf first, wouldn’t they?
    The field conditions look downright atrocious at Heinz Field come December/January.

Grandpa has spoken!

I don’t know. I didn’t read any of Law’s reviews.

I was just making the point that on XM yesterday they were talking about the Cubs and Duquette said he wasn’t buying the hype about their farm system.

128. Fat Jimmy says:

I’m not ducking it. I responded. You said in your column that almost all of the 50,000 hotel rooms were booked. Allegheny County has 24,000 hotel rooms … also from your column. Tell me what I’m missing here.

And if your point is: oh, we’ll build more hotel rooms. Who is? And why would a private company build more hotel rooms for one weekend if they can’t justify having them in place already?

Seriously, you wrote a lousy column today. It happens. We still like your work. Do better next time.

DK: New Orleans’ 50,000 figure included all of Baton Rouge, southern Louisiana and parts of southern Mississippi. In a smaller driving radius, our region has more rooms, in large part because of Cranberry, Southpointe and points into Westmoreland County but also further out.

You’re entitled to feel about the column as you wish. But opinions are opinions, and facts are facts. You’ve based nearly all of your criticism this morning on something that isn’t factually correct. The city absolutely, positively could handle the hotel needs of a Super Bowl. Without another room being built.

If towns, and I pointedly use the word towns, like Albertville,, France, and Lillehammer, Norway, can successfully host something as global as the Winter Olympics, then Pittsburgh can certainly handle a Super Bowl. People got around and had places to stay at those venues.

130. JoeyBats says:

Wah …wah…wah……

Play the Super Bowl in the city with the BEST RECORD of the 2 remaining teams !!! ;-)

131. AJS says:

Not only that but he made the team out of camp. Bylsma LOVES Despres. find it very hard to believe he will be the odd man out.

So Dejan. You’re disappointed in Jimmy for offering personal opinions? On a blog?

Ok. Here is your opportunity to be disappointed in me.

My opinion: Pittsburgh has had a wonderful turnaround. Forget “turnaround”; that understates the place. It’s a wonderful place. Period.

My opinion: I believe Pittsburgh will not host a Super Bowl, and will not lose sleep over it.

I do not think these are mutually exclusive opinions.

I reject any use of (or lack of) striving for a Super Bowl as a litmus test for defeatism (NMR). In fact, my opinion (there’s that disappointing word again) is that labeling it as defeatist, can’t do, 1980s is ITSELF a defeatist position, not supported by the facts of Pittsburgh’s second renaissance.

DK: No issue with anyone expressing opinion. Didn’t even suggest that. But I feel comfortable discussing facts. We’re talking about a number of hotel rooms, mostly.

Your first post above was excellent, by the way.

133. Fat Jimmy says:

Thanks for sticking up for me, Drew.

Or. Any year the Packers aren’t in it, play it in Green Bay.

More Ice Bowls would be really cool.

Of course, they could use Atlanta again for that.

135. Fat Jimmy says:

Foo — do you get “better” responses on + ? I could go on Tim’s site just about every day and say the same thing about your post. :-P

I sure don’t want to send him down. I’m just saying…you gotta look at that waiver thingee issue.

And isn’t it nice to have this as a problem?? :)

I’m with Spunky.

140. Naterosboro says:

Yup. 26 years old. And 1 of my first memories of baseball is being a kid and sitting about 8 ft. from the TV for that Sid Bream slide (granted, I don’t think I quite got the magnitude of what was going on being that I was 6 in 1992 haha!).

I totally agree on the “short leash” comments tho. This is a make or break season for NH and Co. He’s had teams on the verge of success. It’s year 6 now tho.

Gotta get over that hump.

I feel old.

142. Patrick says:

Um, that’s what I said. I said WE (Pittsburghers) are used to the walk and getting around downtown “But the SB has people ..” (those would be NOT Pittsburghers) who aren’t used to walking 20 blocks from a hotel. They want to park in stadium lots 5 minutes from the gate. But like I said “I suppose shuttle buses are easy enough to manage.” So yea…shuttle buses do most of the people moving.

But what about the tens of thousands in cars? Or the ones who don’t have downtown hotels? That are staying in Butler, Westmoreland and Washington? That’s A LOT of buses. If the tourism board says they can pull it off, well, they would know. But I know how downtown/north shore gets when the Arts Festival and a Pirates game are on the same day. And that’s just suburban Pittsburgher’s who are used to it. Imagine 40-50k out-of-towner’s getting lost on the other side of the tunnels.

Biggest thing that makes me think Pittsburgh could handle it was the G-20 summit. If they could handle that they could probably pull it off. Still…

143. LuckyNKentucky says:

I hope my grandchildren, although they are all girls so far, get to see winning baseball in Pgh.

My sons were very young when we had it.

144. TJ says:

Tell ya what… Got to be happy with the job Chryst has done so far. I know Wanny was a great recruiter as well but lets hope Chryst can put the recruiting skills together with the coaching; and based on his success with a guy named Russell Wilson I don’t see that being a problem. I think every commit has signed except for the kid from Hawaii who can’t sign till noon est.

Now, smile, Spunky, the Pens won last night :)
    I hope your Grandchildren get to enjoy your and the Pirates for the next 30 years or more.

146. TJ says:

Bortuzzo looks like he could be a solid player as well. Really like how he seems to know when to jump into the play in the offensive zone. Also not afraid to mix it up.

Hate to say it but maybe the Niskanen injury was a blessing in disguise as we are able to get some good looks at guys that otherwise would have been scratched.

26? Sheesh, I have a daughter that age…and another that is 30! ;)
    But yeah…short leash…with a choke chain on the end that Neal and Co is wearing.

Old? I doubt it, OshKosh…you’re young!

I won’t duck it either. Up to a point, I don’t think hotel rooms MATTER, as long as there are a minimal acceptable number.

Here are some amazing cities, most or all of which have plenty of rooms, which (so far) have yet to host a SB, and many of which never will:

San Francisco Seattle Chicago New York (so far) Boston Washington DC Pittsburgh

The lack of hosting a SB – DESPITE the abundance of hotel rooms, does not define these amazing cities.

150. TJ says:

Why not play it in Hawaii every year? Since they don’t get to see a real NFL game let them have the superbowl. They play real games in Mexico City and London, why not Hawaii!!

151. Patrick says:

Newly crowned Saint Ray Lewis, Patron Saint of the Gridiron, rejects your idea of Super Bowls in Atlanta.

I really like the idea of playing the Super Bowl in New York City because it’s New York City, but that weekend is a snowstorm away from being a complete disaster so I think the game should stick to a warm weather climate.

153. Fat Jimmy says:

That may be the case, but having to stay in a resort on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and having to stay in Cranberry in winter … look, you’re the only person, my friend, who would probably pick Cranberry.

Here’s a list from an event company ranking the Top 50 event locations in the U.S. Guess which city doesn’t make their top 50?

There are about 35 college football bowl games, including some played in obscure locations such as El Paso and Birmingham. Yet there isn’t a single bowl game played in Pittsburgh. Why is that? Could it be that people don’t want to go to Pittsburgh in winter time?

You keep pushing me for facts, but your premise itself is built on your admirable — yet extravagent — passion for Pittsburgh, rather than logic. Even if I concede the point to you about Pittsburgh having the appropriate hotel infrastructure, no one else in the country wants to pay thousands of dollars to come to Pittsburgh in February and stay in a Motel 8 in Cranberry. Call that an opinion if you’d like, but that’s about as much of an opinion as gravity is.

Another reason for me to despise friggin GODell

155. LuckyNKentucky says:

From experience, John. 30 didn’t bother me, 40 didn’t, not even 50, but the other day when my wife (younger by 7 weeks), kids, etc. were poking fun about 60, it did hit me.

That and looking in the mirror every morning instead of the HS yearbook.

Then see my later post. I’m suggesting that the number of hotel rooms is nothing more than a check-the-box issue to determine host cities. I think we are making too much of it…that there are other reasons why many amazing northern cities won’t host…that this doesn’t define them.

Spunkster, you’ll have to remember to laugh at your wife in seven weeks ;)

Just park at Rivers Casino

I hope Tyler Boyd has a good run at Pitt, but, man, has he set himself up for criticism with his pre-signing behavior. Tolerance for prima donnas at the professional level is low.

160. LuckyNKentucky says:

As they say here in KY, Jandy, “I’m proud for the Pens” and any organization that is world class and plays like it. Utmost respect.

BTW, I’ll take 30 years. Then maybe retire. Or re-fire. :)

TJ, there’s always injuries sooner or later. Yes, this has shown that Depres and Bortuzzo are capable of filling in. I too, like what I see from Bortuzzo. The problem will be when Niskie comes back…who sits/goes down?

162. LuckyNKentucky says:

I put a sign by our driveway when she turned 50, J-girl. You bet I’m going to let her have it on March 25th.

I may take out a full-page ad in the local papers.

Losing the lights made this past Superbowl one of the most watched, wait till there is one in a snowstorm ;-)

164. TJ says:

This just in… Pitcher with 2 healthy arms officially signs with the Pirates while the one armed bandit is now going on 2 months of negotiations.

165. TJ says:

Best part of the lights going out was not having to hear Phil Simms for 30min. But then again Solomon Wilcots was no walk in the park.

If all CBS can do is Tasker and Wilcots they should have a fan contest. Make it like american idol for a sideline reporter spot at the superbowl.

166. TJ says:

Jandy its a nice problem to have isn’t it? I don’t know if anyone sits down. I think its just adding value for a potential trade for Luongo.

167. Patrick says:

I’m not opposed to cold weather games in general. I think Chicago would be a great place to have a SB. There’s just something about towns like NY, Pittburgh and Boston that have terrible transportation issues on your average Tuesday in October, let alone on Super Bowl Sunday, that make me nervous. The weather would just be that extra variable….

Yes, Sanchez signing official–minor league deal with invite to to spring training

I have to finally ask, is that TED?

Lucky:

My father passed away when he was 60 and I was a young man. Even at that time I knew 60 was young. My mother lived to age 80 and she always said the 60′s was a great decade for her. My mother was a devout, daily communicant, Catholic so maybe you religious types know something! Happy belated birthday to you and many, many more.

171. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’ve been impressed with Bortuzzo as well. Is he still 2-way or would he have to clear waivers? I think he’ll be the odd man out.

172. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’m surprised DK isn’t lobbying for Super Bowl in Winnipeg.

173. LuckyNKentucky says:

POTD nominee

174. TJ says:

Yes it is.

175. T.S. says:

The argument against Marc-Andre Fleury. And I agree with it.

I realize what the original goals were but considering that many were and still are skeptical that those goals will ever happen, I don’t think that’s a good reason to move ahead with the 1.2 mile extension. It was considered one of the worst uses of stimulus funds in the country.

Yes. Winter in Florida.

178. Fat Jimmy says:

Also, here’s data on the number of hotels in Indianpolis. According to this, Indianpolis has 33,000+ hotel rooms. Not the “less than half” of Pittsburgh as Dejan claimed.

Facts are great, but it helps when your facts are accurate.

179. LuckyNKentucky says:

Thanks, John. My dad died when he was 54, but my Mom lived into her 80′s. I’ll take the latter end. Looking forward to a great decade, believe me.

180. leefoo says:

AW….yeh, us Optimists can’t help ourselves.

I’ll leave you ‘glass half empty’ guys in the dust.

181. leefoo says:

Definitely wouldn’t wanna ‘Summer’ there.

Too hot and humid!

182. Dom says:

I disagree that there should be a super bowl in a cold weather city that does not have a dome stadium. If the weather has a hand in the factor of the game then all what we’d hear from the sportscasters is how badly the losing team got cheated. We have plenty of options to have before going to an area where snow can be an issue:
    Dallas
    Houston
    New Orleans
    San Diego
    Tampa
    Jacksonville
    Miami
    St Louis
    Indianapolis
    Detriot
    Minneapolis
    Glendale

183. Patrick says:

I would hardly call it a lousy article. Not even close. I have reservations about the cities ability to entertain 50k fans (and MEDIA) that have very high expectations, but I would hardly sday the article is lousy for suggesting it.

184. bradthedad says:

Excuse me. But I assure you of the facts that not only do I have relatives who live in Philadelphia and they travel here to here to watch the Phillies and Pirates but they have had an awful time finding hotel space downtown. Two years ago they had to pay an obscene amount to stay in a dump in Greentree.

185. Brad, Indiana PA says:

The only problem with this article is they don’t look at W’s. Not saying Fleury is elite, but the guy can win. His flounder against Philthy last year hardly happened in a vacuum. That cartwheel glove save last night shows what he can do that GAA and Save% don’t factor in. Tom Barrasso was hardly a super stud, but he got the job done a couple times. All that said, I like the 2 goalie approach with them splitting time.

186. Dom says:

He made 32 saves yesterday. How does that warrant being benched?

187. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I guess it can’t be THAT much colder than it was in Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago…

Well done.

The power outage gave those that wanted to watch the halftime show a nice, additional halftime to get some food!

190. Patrick says:

Seriously? Thats not even remotely true. Ive seen Steelrs games in 5 different cities and trust me, Heinz field is NOT a DUMP. It’s not the PNC Park of the NFl, but you need to see games at Candlestick and Oakland county Collesium before you start leveling that kind of criticism at Heinz Field.

As far as NFL Stadiums go, Heinz field is average, maybe a little above average.

191. Drew says:

I’m still not understanding how/when you guys have had issues with the hotels in Pittsburgh. I’m from central PA and between the Steelers and the Penguins I’m up there about every other weekend. When I go I do not typically book a hotel until after the event is over. I’ve have never had a problem walking into any hotel on north shore and asking for a room.
    I agree in price gauging because they do increase the price for gamedays but it’s a minor expense considering the people that are most likely going regardless of the price anyway.

192. leefoo says:

AW….I like Keith Law a lot.

My point is that Pittsburgh is high on every list I’ve seen so far.

Same with the Cards.

Cubs….depends on who you read.

Foo

193. Brad, Indiana PA says:

And sure Vokoun never had Crosby and Malkin before, but neither did Tim Thomas or Jonathan Quick. Actually, Crosby and Malkin tend to run and gun quite a bit which breaks down defensive schemes pretty quickly, so you could argue that Fleury hasn’t always had the best defensive support.

194. leefoo says:

Jandy….tea drinker only. Much more civilized than you crude sludge drinkers (i kid, I kid)

And, when I go to Starbucks, it’s a Chai Tea Latte. And, given my svelte figure, I don’t order low fat.

195. TJ says:

Totally disagree with Fleury being benched. Look at his best years compared to his worse years. In his best years he had players in front of him that blocked shots. Look at the year they won the cup with guys like Gill on defense. You even saw it last night. If guys don’t want to help their goalie and block shots your letting pucks get through that get deflected.

196. leefoo says:

21s….+1…. a BIG flask

brrrrrrrrrr

197. Patrick says:

You know, the more I think about it the more the Steelers should at least TRY to host. Allegheny county did pony up and build their stadium, and will soon add 3k seats to it. I think the Steelers could at least make the effort and make the NFL tell Allegheny County “No thanks”.

They should at least make the effort. Like the article says, this isn’t the Olympics, bids are free.

198. leefoo says:

+! Patrick…he’s such a wonderful man isn’t he?

199. leefoo says:

people watched Beyonce?

why they’d wanna do that is beyonce me.

I DVR and zip thru halftimes.

And I LIKE Phil Simms. :)

200. Iceman says:

He played great and was once again the number 1 penalty killer, but there were so many times (as there often are watching Fleury), that he makes me so nervous. He was flopping on the ice making saves. All that being said though, there is only one important point, he was making the saves. What Fleury does often times does not look pretty, but that doesn’t really matter.

Oh and how about the cartwheel save he made. Unreal reflexes and athleticism there.

I find Ryan Brauns explanation rather hilarious.

“No, guys, I just paid this known PED distributor $20-30k to help me win my APPEAL after failing my drug test, not for the actual drugs themselves.”

Even if he’s being truthful, how does that help prove he didn’t use PED’s?

202. leefoo says:

If yinz are gonna talk hockey I’m outta here.

I prefer to think WARM thoughts….like Bradenton warm.

Chai Tea Foo

203. TJ says:

Bids might be free but I can’t imagine the cost of hosting the superbowl. Additional security etc. Nothing is free. Will turn into the G-8.

204. TJ says:

Its like paying a blackjack dealer to help you cheat the casino

205. LuckyNKentucky says:

With all his irons in the fire, DK ain’t made many blog comments in the last few days, but a Pittsburgh city column brings out the best in him.

Even some serious stuff from Drew. Must be cool in Tallahasee today.

:P

206. T.S. says:

Bylsma is going with an every other game rotation as his excuse for riding the hot hand, which is clearly Vokoun. Let’s see in the coming games how Fleury fares. And he beat the Islanders last night. Not the Chicago Blackhawks.

207. leefoo says:

Drew…..serious???

Wow!

208. Iceman says:

I’m pretty sure he would have to clear waivers. I believe Despres is the only one who wouldn’t.

Some actual news came out of the Clairton sideshow today. Tom Nola will return as head coach next season & a lot of kids names we’ll never know will be better for it. There had been some questions, mostly surrounding his health. I hope this means he’s gotten a clean bill from his doctor.

His impact in that district goes far beyond the football field. The number of kids he’s helped far out numbers his win total. But oh that win total. Quite the departure from those 1-9 seasons he was having at Serra Catholic in the 90′s.

210. leefoo says:

For you PSU fans, Hackenberg officially signed!

PSU Foo
    Class of sometime long long ago

211. Patrick says:

Oh believe me whatever the cost would be to set it up, the financial gains from hosting a super bowl FAR outweigh the costs. Seriously if Pittsburgh hosted it would be a HUGE economic boom. In Indianapolis people were renting out their homes to people for 2-3k just for THE WEEKEND.

Imagine how much people In Bellvue and Brighton Heights would get?

212. Patrick says:

Its no more comical than the reason he gve to win his appeal. I hate that bug-eyed nimrod…

213. kr70 says:

Dejan should have a book 50 things that make Pittsburgh great. Don’t always agree with all he writes, I do agree the Burg is a great place.

Wow, hubby’s dad died at age 52, hubby was 20. it really shaped the way he is, he’s very responsible. His mother is still alive, and remarried. We do a good bit for them, as step-dad has a hard time changing a light bulb lol.

OshKosh, life started at 40 for me. 50 was fine…I just hope at 60 my attitude about life in general is as good as Spunky’s. ;)

Oh and Spunky, refire, friend, refire ;)

well, then drink your tea, man…it’s caffeine too….it will help you with these wacky posts you’re making ;)

I am surprised the Downtown has 96 occupancy

ACK! Luongo??? NoooOooo!!!!!!

GrrRRrrr!!

219. Iceman says:

I agree with much of what you say here Brad.

I have been impressed with Martin and it is good to see him stepping up and playing the way he should.

Orpik is a bit confusing for me this year. We are not seeing as much of the bone crushing physicality that we have grown accustomed to, but he in the Top 10 in the league for blocked shots. Not only is he blocking shots, but he is mainly using his stick to do so. Good thing about that, it saves his body (which isn’t getting any younger) and it is more likely for the puck to be directed into a place that it is out of danger (into the corners or up into the netting).

Despres play last night was awesome. Got in there to hit hard and the one-timer he made not only was rifled on net, but the pass he received had a little speed on it, making it harder to play that puck on net. I was skeptical, but he is starting to make me a believer.

Glass once again retweeted HockeyFights.com’s post about his fight last night. Dude takes some pride in what he does, but it is not all he does. He was, IMO, one of the best penalty killers out there last night. That and he always finishes his checks. Has to be a tough guy to play against.

Brad I agree about Kennedy. Nothing else to add there.

Sid is starting to come to form. He was strong on the puck last night. Glad to hear there was no broken nose or anything for him.

Islanders fans are a joke. Never should you cheer for someone getting injured, especially in as scary of a way as taking a puck to the face. That can be career (or even life) ending. Not something to cheer about. They deserve the dump of an arena they go to.

220. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Plus Vokoun has spent the last 6 years in the southeast division, which is/was much weaker than the Atlantic. I don’t see a huge problem with either of them at the moment. They’ll never sit a $5mil a year goalie unless he’s on the way out.

If Fleury repeatedly plays like absolute garbage, then by all means bench him. But when your goalies are 4-2 and 3-1 it’s hard to say one should be benched.

In regards to the Super Bowl, it is the one event that I want weather to as little a factor as possible. I like the fact that it is usually in warm weather cities or domed stadiums.

When it comes to that championship game I would hate for a team that has a great passing offense to be heavily affected by the weather. Now I know that it can rain in any city at any time of year, but having the Super Bowl in NYC in early February is dumb.

you and me both…he’s a POS

223. Iceman says:

One thing I have to say Vokun does way better than Fleury is rebound control. It seems like there is a magnet on Vokun and everytime he touches the puck it just gets sucked into a personal vaccum.

Fleury on the other hand, gives up a lot of juicy rebounds. As long as the defense is doing their job and clearing out the front of the net, this isn’t a huge issue, but if the defense is out of position, this can be a big issue.

Well…ppppffftttt!! on you Foo! :P

Ice Age Foo?

This is true, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that Fleury can win games. I realize it’s a team effort…but still….the guy is a good goalie.

zactly!

228. Fat Jimmy says:

Well played.

Biz,
    That my friend is POST OF THE DAY

230. Iceman says:

Totally agree. He seems to space out at times, but he wins. I do agree with one point the article makes. When it comes playoff time, if Fleury starts to behave like last year, Vokun goes in and plays all the games. No questions asked, no worries about hurt feelings. If Fleury plays like he did when the won the cup, keep him in there.

Look, walking is great. But it ain’t great when you have to walk on a bridge over a river…in this kind of weather.

232. Fat Jimmy says:

It’s easy to say “Hey, the Rooney’s have pull with the league, they should push for this!” You don’t GET the level of pull and respect the Rooneys have by making assinine, selfish requests like this. Make no mistake, that’s why the Rooney’s didn’t comment for the column. They’re good corporate citizens and didn’t want to take a dump on the city, but at the same time, they know it’s not a good fit and they wouldn’t put their reputation on the line for it.

233. Fat Jimmy says:

“No, teacher. I wasn’t looking at my neighbor’s paper in order to cheat on my test. I was just looking at it to confirm that I WASN’T copying her answers.”

Lindsey Vonn is a bit of a loon. There is a reason Julia Mancuso and her never really got along. Sorry she was injured, and I have great respect for the Alpine athletes, but there are a lot of good stories on the Us Women’s Alpine team for Sochi. For example, Mikaela Shiffrin.

where is Biz or Eric Bowser when you need them???

Thirded

I agree with this. He’s not a little boy and he’s making the money….so get the job done…or sit.

yeah he’s too busy arguing with FJ and Drew, and not paying any attention to the hockey talk…Boooooo!!!!

Braun is just “a victim of soicumstance”

Again

240. Brad, Indiana PA says:

True dat(s).

241. Fat Jimmy says:

I go a step beyond that, TC, to say that it shouldn’t be in cold weather climates, period. It’s an EVENT. A big one where people spend a ton of money to attend. People like vacationing in warm climates during the winter. It’s not brain surgery.

Hi BIZ!

243. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Of course it would be mass chaos and confusion and the game would be held indoors with boards on the sideline and a 60-yard (or whatever it is) field. Or I may just be badly mixing up arena and Canadian football leagues. Either way, it’d be entertaining.

244. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Jandy,

I think JAL should include The Kinks “Polly” in tomorrow’s links hehe.

Someone put out an APB on Bowser.

He must be out counting hotel rooms.

Hey Jandy!

248. LuckyNKentucky says:

He’s in Philly on business, lobbying for SB 51 to be held there.

I dunno, there is supposedly this thing called a “World Series” that I’ve heard might be decided in early November in say, Minnesota…

Is it any more ridiculous than that?

250. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I wish Pittsburgh was ready to host a Super Bowl, but I don’t think it’s quite there yet.
    I’ve been to the last several AFC Championship games in Pittsburgh, and I can tell you first hand that the city lacks in hotels from both a quality and quantity perspective.
    Outside of renting a car, public transportation is a big problem too.
    If Pittsburgh put its mind to it, it has the potential to be way more attractive than places like Detroit, Indy and Dallas.

251. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I thought it at the time and I still think that Kennedy is one of Shero’s worst re-signings. The FA list wasn’t great that year, but yikes. Shero usually makes really good or at worst non-negative trades. But his FA dealings are a little suspect (cough at Zybynek Michalek). Letting Scuderi, Gill and Gonchar (considering his salary went to Martin and Michalek) walk makes me sad.

252. LuckyNKentucky says:

DK posted a picture of the football stadium in Winnepeg. Looks like a NASCAR track. At least from his hotel room window.

I’m sure they’ve played Grey Cup games there, but a SB has to at least have a real stadium. (Watch out for flying items).

253. Dom says:

This guy gets it!

This Braun thing/excuse would be very similar if say Ray-Ray’s lawyers went to OJ for advice in that Atlanta trial

Just sayin

255. cosmo says:

They would probably have to move the wpial finals that year.

256. LuckyNKentucky says:

He is truly there. Probably not lobbying though. :)

Mike Adams quoted this same article over at FaceOffFactor.

I believe Brooksie is saving more of the hits for later in the season. It’s a short season with a brutal schedule, so he’s pacing himself, so to speak. And I do like the blocked shots and stick play.

Please don’t remind me of how he let Scuds walk. I still cry about that.

::THWAP::

animal

262. Naterosboro says:

ESPN writer Jayson Stark ranks the 6 divisions in baseball. While he has the NL Central at #5, there’s the potential to be much better than that. Getting rid of the Astros was a positive step.

263. Christopher Walton says:

Agree on Bortuzzo. Believe he will relegate Engo to the 7th D role. And I thnk Despres is playing better but he should not be on the ice with Letang. Who sits when Niskanen comes back?

I have no problem with the Super Bowl in a cold weather climate. If it hurts a team with a good passing offense and helps the other team, so be it. The warm weather climate would help the good passing team so why is that fair and it’s not fair the other way around?

The Super Bowl being on a netural site to me is what makes it neutral. Plenty of people went to Detroit. I think the game was sold out. It’s not brain surgery is right.

Is there ever a year that the NL Central doesn’t come out underrated? I’d easily have them 3rd.

NL East gets credit for Philadelphia even though half their roster carries AARP cards. NL West gets credit for LA because they have a billion dollar payroll.

Jimmy,

Then if it’s in a cold weather climate, people don’t have to go if they don’t want. And if the economic impact doesn’t end up being there, the NFL would stop going to cold weather climates.

IMO, the Super Bowl needs to be in New York City occasionally. But I love NYC.

267. JuniataKid says:

I love the idea of the Super Bowl in Pittsburgh. Or any cold-weather, open-air stadium for that matter. It’s football. Goodell’s right. The weather is part of the game and part of the lore.

The only problem I see for Pittsburgh is transportation. It’s awful by design (and for proof, I give you the West End Circle fiasco that cost millions of dollars to make the situation far, far worse). However, even that can be overcome to a large degree with proper planning and entrepreneurs running buses they borrowed from places like Altoona and Johnstown.

And I think there would be plenty of places to stay. Once hotels start filling up, you’d see people renting their houses and apartments, then counting their money at their relatives houses.

I hope the region and the Rooneys go for it. Because I’d be one of those folks renting out my house. Cash only. Act now.

Iceman, you said it: It’s Fleury. It’s his own unique style. He makes me nervous plenty of times. But if he gets the win, then I don’t care how he does it.
    LOVED the cartwheel save :)

Long time, no see, Juniata :)

270. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Whoa there Jandy. Let’s keep it PG.

271. Patrick says:

He has my condolences. Tell him to try and hold it for a few days. I have it on good account that Herpes and the Clap both originated from Philly toilet seats.

272. LuckyNKentucky says:

He’ll be happy to know that since he’s already recovering.

273. Patrick says:

Weather for the teams shouldn’t matter. Every team has an offense adversely affected by bad weather. There is no team that is built to play in the snow. Tom Brady plays in Foxboro and i’m pretty sure the Patriots are still able to throw the ball around a little bit in spite of the snow. Making the arguement for the Super Bowl to be warm-climate only because of the play of the teams is irrelevant and just isnt that big of a deal.

Now, for FANS? That I could see. People paying a few thousand for tickets, lodging and transportation dont want to sit on frozen bleachers. To say nothing of how difficult it is, especially for women, to go to the bathroom when they are wearing a snowsuit over 10 layers of clothing. For the actual game, who cares. For the fans in the seats? Yea…that would suck….

274. leefoo says:

and pppphhllllpppptttt back to you.

275. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Ow! I’ve just been backslapped!

My mom makes that noise at me, but it’s usually accompanied with an actual backhand to the head.

Get your mind outta the gutter, friend ;)

b*chslapped
    :P

lolol!

279. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Lol can’t help it after hearing Errey and Paul make innuendos all night with my wife pointing out each one asking “Seriously? Do they not realize what they are saying?”

280. Patrick says:

For one…how you see anything through 10 games that clearly shows Vokoun as the ‘hot-hand’ is ridiculous.
    Second …..Fleury’s record is 260-145, Vokoun’s is 290-285. Call me ridiculous for the guy who has a win% is .140 points higher the better goalie. And for what? Because Vokoun has a WHOPPING .008% better SV% and .12 better GAA?

That works out to be about one extra goal every NINE GAMES. Of which Fleury will win 6 and Vokoun will win 5. But by all means, bench the Stanley cup winning goalie for the 36 year old that has never made it out of the first round. GENIUS.

281. Fat Jimmy says:

I do agree that, if it’s going to be in a northern city, it should be in New York.

282. Brad, Indiana PA says:

That was it. Johan Sebastian B*chslapped. Oh man, I need a beer.

283. Brad, Indiana PA says:

284. Patrick says:

Hasnt always had the best support? Am I the only one that remebers that Fluery had to play behind the 2003-2006 Penguins his first 3 years? You know…the teams that were so bad they were annual lottery participants? This revisionist history that Fluery has always benefitted from Crosby, Malkin and Letang is not only wrong its just stupid.

And anyone who thinks a 36 year old that has never been out of the first round should start in net instead of the 29 year old that made it twice and won it all once…well, maybe you should all apply for GM jobs around the league because you obviously know more about hockey than the 30 other men that hold that title, because none of them would agree with you.

Vokoun over Fleury? Seriously?!?! This isn’t baseball. You can’t throw around some minor fluctuation in statistics and call it logic.

So Keith Law doesn’t care much for Starling Marte, eh?

Q: This year Starling Marte will a) be an average regular, b) be a rising star, c) struggle and lose at-bats to Jose Tabata and Alex Presley.

KLaw: Is there something better than c) but worse than a)?

I’m not sure what “average regular” means in scout speak, but the average outfielder last year hit .262/.327/.426 while Marte hit .257/.300/.437.

Sounds like he thinks Marte will get worse, not better.

286. Patrick says:

Good point about the Southeast. Plus the Panthers have ALWAYS had one of the leagues best GAA no matter who was in goal because the ice down there is complete crap. Its like playing in slush. It’s like comparing a pitchers ERA when one plays in Safeco and the other at Fenway.

This hardline belief that statistics tell the whole story annoys me in baseball but in INFURIATES ME when it comes to hockey.

“Making the arguement for the Super Bowl to be warm-climate only because of the play of the teams is irrelevant and just isnt that big of a deal.”

So the play of the teams is irrelevant in the leagues biggest, most important game of the year? The Championship Game?

If the Steelers and Packers played and the icy cold conditions plus constant snow fall during the game prevented the Steelers from getting any pass rush or the Packers from fully utilizing their potent passing game, then I would say that the style of play was not representative enough for a championship game. And weather caused it.

Let’s hope Marte reads Keith Law and decides to prove him wrong :)

289. scapper says:

Had to stay in that Greentree place myself a few times! Downtown booked solid.

All these people are citing, Patrick, is save percentage. Surely it isn’t that black and white? I mean, the guy wins hockey games. Like last night, if not for Fleury and the PK, with giving the Isles 7…yes 7!…power plays, the Pens would have lost. And they had several quality chances to score. I agree that if Fleury isn’t playing well, to give Vokoun the nod. That would just serve to motivate Fluery more.

291. Reading says:

I just hope that Pittsburgh can host another AFC Championship Game sometime again in my lifetime. Or maybe, a World Series. Wait, forget the second one, I won’t be around in 2114 when the rebuilding plan pays dividends.

292. Reading says:

Who’s Keith Law?

THAT is why I can’t stand those two…well, just one of the reasons. Bring back Mike Lang!!!!

294. Naterosboro says:

Truth. Altho I’d say Washington/Atlanta is better than our St.Louis/Cincinnati, at least on paper. How that plays out in recent years, I think our Central boys have actually fared better.

Philadelphia has SO MUCH money tied up in 30+ year old players. Rueben Amaro went for pitching [in acquiring Halladay & Lee] and his lineups let him down in the playoffs. Now, a lot of the position players are past their primes (Utley, Howard, Rollins) and the pitching (minus Hamels) is getting there too.

The Phillies will struggle to win 80 games this season, barring a few players playing well above their heads.

You need SOMETHING! ;)

296. Patrick says:

I know you saw my comments above about why Pittsburgh wouldn’t be…how shall we say..an IDEAL host city. But is it really that assinine?

It did host two all-star games, the G-20 summit….ect. I get what you are saying, but, I don’t think it would be THAT ridiculous.

Keith doesn’t bother me. I like him. But he’s definintely one of those guys who will lean heavy on one side of an opinion to make a point.

Add a couple shades of grey to anything he says.

298. STARLING MARTE, SMOKEY BURGESS, STAN THE MAN DAYS UNTIL PIRATE SPRING TRAINING!!!

See, I know that is the prevailing opinion, but St Louis just beat Washington straight up and I think the Braves rotation isn’t nearly as good as it was once predicted to be.

I think the Cards and Reds are every bit as good.

300. LuckyNKentucky says:

The big 6!

301. AL says:

Hopefully we don’t have 10 guys cooling off from fatigue at the same time!

303. Patrick says:

Well, I would HOPE the packers are as equipped as any team in the league in being able to execute their offense in any condition.

I guess I shouldn’t have said “it’s irrelevant”, but rather “weather doesn’t matter as much as we think it does” The three most prolific passers in the game today play in Green Bay, Denver and Boston. If you factor in the Ben and Eli as also having some experience playing in the rain/snow/cold, those five guys have won 9 of the last 12 super bowls.

I was at the GB/Pit game a few years ago in Heinz Field. It was 30 something and sloppy. Each QB threw for 400+yds and 4 tds in a 37-36 thriller. For the two supposed two best teams in the league, weather shouldn’t affect them.

“The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it is true.”

J. Robert Oppenheimer

That’s for you glass half full “Neal is god” guys.

;-)

305. VINNY says:

Do the Pirates have anyone at least 6’4″ tall who could be a power forward on Malkins’ line?

With apologies to the great physicist:

“I have become Neal, destroyer of baseball worlds.”

I have a question. Would anyone not be okay with playing the Super Bowl in the city of the team with the better record?

308. LuckyNKentucky says:

309. Ryan (Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

In the few games that I have seen, I like what he brings. Seems to be a pretty big dude too

This just in

Tommorrows breaking headlines on CBSPittsburgh

Is military training a good idea for the PBC?

The way those guys responded to this thing.

Well, you would think they lived on Federal Street

Rebuilding plan No. XVII

Like +1

About to fly to Phoenix where they have (ready for this?) an abundance of hotel rooms.

Too bad Breezewood doesn’t have a large stadium.

And if it was covered, it would seal the deal.

I hear Vegas does too,

Have a good flight, check in with the wife when you arrive ;-)

Where’s Bud Shuster when you need him?

316. LuckyNKentucky says:

Right.

And ANOTHER post of the day nominee.

318. TJ says:

Haha Jandy. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to respond to that!!

319. TJ says:

Was he the one that off’d himself on TV?

Biz,
    Has Keith Law’s comments swayed your opinion of Marte?

321. TJ says:

Nevermind…. Brain fart

I guess my point is that for the championship game I would like both teams to able to use all of their weapons / strengths. If they couldn’t I would not want weather to be the factor.

I would hate for a team that won 14 games during the year and all the playoff games, who had a running back that gained 2,000 yard have to say “we felt we could have won the game if the field wasn’t frozen and we were unable to utilize our running game”

That was R. Budd Dwyer.

DK: Are you of the belief that everyone who says they saw the live broadcast is lying?

Oh I get that point of view TC. If weather is a factor, that just doesn’t bother me. It’s almost not fair to me that the Super Bowl is never in a cold weather city.

As I said earlier though, I think they’re really taking a chance with the weather ruining the entire weekend. I realize the odds are low, but a bad snowstorm next year on Super Bowl weekend could be an absolute disaster with people trying to get there.

No, not at all

I think he has a chance to be pretty good.

But he is one of those “prospect” things

I read Law but am not sure if his opinion is any better than anyone here ;-)

326. Patrick says:

I would be OK with it in theory, but since the host city wouldn’t have more than a a week to prepare the events and hype would be tough to plan and schedule. People really wouldn’t be able to travel. Hotel reservations alone would be a mess. The city itself wouldn’t have enough time to prepare for the sudden influx of 100k people.

In theory its a great idea, but the delivery would be tough.

What a GREAT day on the blog.

Dejan. Wednesday’s column? Demand a NASCAR race.

No. Just the moonwalk.

329. CeehowUR says:

Super Bowl in Pittsburgh

I’ve always found its helpful to create a list of positives and negatives.

Reasons For
    *Prestige for the city
    *Economic Impact
    *Home field Advantage (If Steelers make it)
    *History/Franchise Reward-Rooneys + 6 time SB champs

Arguments Against
    *Weather-Cold, Precip potential, factor in the game
    *Limited Outdoor Activities
    *Infrastructure-Accomodations, Stadium Capacity, Transportation
    *Home Field Advantage-unfair advantage?
    *Lack of ticket availability for locals
    *No local team-Potentially
    *Risk of ruined reputation for the city.
    *Sponsors preferences

While I’m not against it, I think their will be considerable backlash after next year’s game. I don’t think it will happen, but it was a good idea DK. Obviously CBS Pittsburgh thought so.

But if it was in the Burgh

Cheap seats ;-)

331. pattonbb says:

The greatest feeling in the world is to win a major league game. The second-greatest feeling is to lose a major league game. ~Chuck Tanner

332. pattonbb says:

Pittsburgh should host a Super Bowl, but it never will. It has nothing to do with infrastructure or available hotel rooms. It has everything to do with the field conditions and risk of injuries.

You think people were mad about the condition of FedEx field when Robert Griffin III and Chris Clemons went down with knee injuries? Imagine what Heinz Field would look like if it also hosted a couple playoff games in addition to the big one. Can you even imagine the backlash if a marquee player blew their knee out on that snowy, clumpy field during the Super Bowl?

I don’t care if the game is played in sunny California or the frozen Tundra. The field has to be in perfect condition. Heinz Field in January will never be perfect. Or even good.

On a separate subject, Has anyone paid attention to the recruiting O’Brien did for Penn State? Is there any doubt he’s not one of the top recruiters in the country? Just an amazing job.

And my Tide certainly appeared to restock their already full cupboards. Pasadena here we come….

Alex Goligoski as a healthy scratch for Dallas tonight.

I see someone just tweeted the same thing about Goligoski. Where does he get off stealing my material ? I had it first. Check the time stamp.

DK: Busted! I feel shame!

335. Eric Bowser says:

Hi guys.

Wow what an interesting blog thread today.

Hope everyone is good and would love to see a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh.

2 more days……..

Not at all DK.

By the way, I was there for game 7 in 1960.

337. Jason81 says:

Ben Lovejoy to the Ducks for a 5th round draft pick. Guess that solves the question about what to do when Niskanen returns. Pens also recalled Dylan Reese in the meantime.

The funniest/most ridiculous part of this is people complaining about the trade, like Shero didn’t get enough. Ben Lovejoy isn’t going to get you Bobby Ryan or Corey Perry, calm down folks.

DK: Hey, I wanted Teemu. Fire Shero.

They really had no use for Lovejoy. Neither did I for that matter. Seemed like a fine fellow, hope he does well.

339. Jason81 says:

He did what you would expect of a #5/6/7 defenseman. He wasn’t going to get big minutes, wasn’t going to check the top lines of the oppenent. 12-15 minutes a night, hopefully without glaring mistakes. When he was in the lineup, if you didn’t notice him, that meant he was doing his job.

340. LuckyNKentucky says:

I wasn’t. I saw one game of that series, but it was a 16-3 Pirate loss.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back