Chat transcript: Lovejoy trade, Steelers draft, more

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media columnist

The chat transcript just went up, and it includes stuff on the Ben Lovejoy trade, the Steelers’ chances of drafting a running back, Pitt’s Cam Wright, the Pirates’ incomplete rotation and more.

Thanks to all for participating!

Comments

” I see your article has started a lot of outcry for a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh.”

Did it?

2. Iceman says:

“Moreover, 1978 called and wants its opinion of hockey back.”

Loved this.

Like!

I’m sorry, I forgot this: :-)

5. CFJohnsn says:

DK, you wrote in the chat:

Right now, I don’t see how it wouldn’t. Forget the weak offseason. Just look at the simple math of the Pirates having gone 12-4 against the Astros last season, and the Astros now moving to the American League. Take that 12-4 away, and the Pirates were a 67-79 team

That’s a logical fallacy and factually incorrect. (They were 12-5 against them so their record minus games against the Astros was 68-78)

You can’t take away a portion of the total and assume the results would the same. It would be akin to me saying: “Take away Milwaukee (whom the Pirates went 4-11 against) and the Pirates were a 75-72 team!” and declaring that it is truly indicative of how the team actually played.

I could argue that the Brewers off season has been a lot worse than the Pirates and they have done even less to address it so the Pirates will automatically reverse that record next season. But that too would be nothing more than pure speculation.

There would have to be other scheduled games in those places and you cannot predict what the team would have done in those games without any certainty. Who knows, maybe they would have swept them all and actually gone over .500 (not really even a close to likely scenario, but still a possibility).

6. Quick analysis of Chat:

—10 Questions about Penguins (inc. 2 about Lovejoy trade)
    —–7 Questions about Pirates
    —–6 Questions about Steelers
    —–5 Questions about Pitt program(s)
    —–2 Questions about a Pittsburgh located Super Bowl
    —–1 Question about all 3 General Managers
    —–1 Question about Duquesne
    —–1 Question about Olympics
    —–1 Question about bad music
    —–1 Question about “the sport that must not be named”

In the middle of hockey season, sounds about right.

you are such an agitator LOL! :) :) ;) ;) :) ;) :P

8. LuckyNKentucky says:

especially the bad music category

9. TJ says:

Anyone bring up the 7 year 175mil contract King Felix just got from the Mariners?

like x2

If it’s too loud or bad, then you are too old, Groat.

You did.

13. Timd says:

Frustrated by Lovejoy situation, not that he was traded but he was refused to get a chance after last year. Don’t know, more examples of stubborn coaching staff?

My opinion of Despres has not changed yet, last year Strait played better D and this year so far Bortuzzo IMO has played better. He has puck skills and upside, yes, but so far this year he’s continually taking a step up and getting caught up the ice during transitions leading to odd-man situations with Letang trying to cover for him. Also taking lots of penalties.

Timing is another thing to this deal – with Letang possibly out tonight, why last night? Now you might have to insert Reese into the mix with no experience playing this system in the bigs. Do we learn more about Despres sans Letang.

If Cole or Taillon turn out to be what the BMTIB is expecting, well, I’m betting we’d better send Nutting a bushel full of prunes, because he’s probably pretty tight and puckered after hearing about this deal ;-)

15. LuckyNKentucky says:

He’s not, but some of us may be.

You must be at work, John. There’s no Blue Devil. It’s faded to a snowman.

16. LuckyNKentucky says:

What’s 25 mil a year among friends, Biz? :P

17. TJ says:

Biz… Cole or Taillon will be dealt long before they are able to get 25mil a year. Pirates will try to do like they did with Cutch. Buy out the arbitration years and tack on a few more. Wouldn’t shock me if the Pirates were keeping Taillon and Cole in the minors till they hit 23-25 so by the time they hit FA they are in early 30′s.

I probably agitated DK and Drew.

Yep, maybe they would have played those 17 against the Marlins who they were actually 4-1 against, and won 13 or 14. You never know.

20. Oshkosh b’gosh,

I have yet to come across music that is too loud (although I sat near the speakers at a “Who” concert once that left my ears ringing for 2 weeks!!

I have, however, experienced too much bad music! I am not a grunge fan. I also don’t like Picasso paintings. Both the same. Too much disparate flow.

I don’t mind music “coloring outside the lines”: I just need the group to acknowledge in their music that there are lines in there somewhere.

21. Mr. Timid,

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your opinions! Looks like the coaching staff are not the only stubborn ones!

In at least 2 games thus far, Simon Despres was the best Penguin D on the ice.

He’s young; he will be inconsistent——so was Letang 2-3 years ago. Yet you can see flashes of what he can become . . . . stuff that Bortuzzo just doesn’t have. And Despres is getting much more responsible game by game in his own end.

Simon Despres is not Brooks Orpick; neither is Kris Letang. But each brings special gifts to the table that help build a team, a complete team. Simon Despres has special gifts. Give him time——game time——to develop those!

22. TJ says:

Reese will dress but I guarantee he won’t get more than 8-10 min of ice time. Pens will probably roll 5 defensemen and sprinkle in Reese

Just now?

Just from this?

You don’t give yourself enough credit.

You are my friend, can I borrow 25 million?

Yeah, you are right, same with Pedro

Just as a matter of analysis; not suggesting a point of view…

Groat’s very interesting list = the # of questions selected and answered.

It is not a list of questions submitted. The percentages may or may not match, but I don’t want to assume or speculate.

Truly, I am not even trying to hint a point of view with this post. (Sometimes you have to say that around here.)

Great philosophy.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good marriage.

Or of a marriage.

Some of our bloggers have been accused – me included – of making every topic about the Pirates. Well. When it comes to me (and it’s always about me), this post demonstrates that you would have identified the right problem but the wrong subject matter.

When I was 20 I quit college awhile and used all of my summer detasseling money (ask an Iowan) to follow Black Flag around the country. (My parents were thrilled!). I had dreams of creating a music fanzine (my goal was to surpass the great Trouser Press and perhaps become the next Lester Bangs). After about 15 shows, Henry Rollins approached me and asked what I was doing. I told him my dream but he did not want to do an interview. I tried to throw together an issue (pre-internet, mind you) but cost and time caught up to me. I don’t think it helped that although I was 20, I looked like I was 15. The next semester I returned to Madison.

29. TJ says:

The only way Pedro is going to get close to 25mil a year is if he gets traded to the Yankees and sits on the bench next to ARod.

30. TJ says:

A recent study shows that between 10am-2pm in Pittsburgh that DK’s blog is responsible for the most amount of lost production hours for companies.

I think Uncle Bob was pretty tight and puckered even before this news.

32. LuckyNKentucky says:

I’d give it to you if I had it. You wouldn’t even have to borrow it.