Final: Devils 3, Penguins 1

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media columnist

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (8-3) vs. New Jersey Devils (6-1-3)

Time: 1:08 p.m.

Site: Prudential Center, Newark, N.J.

TV, radio: Root Sports, NHL Network (national), WXDX-FM 105.9

Here is the official live box score.

Here is the Trib’s Penguins page.

Comments

1. Dave G says:

Game On at 1:00 on NHL Network (If weather permits, I would suppose!)

Let’s Go Pens!

JAL’s Sugar Shack Morning Links

Yahoo Sports

Penguins-Devils Preview

New Jersey Star Ledger

Devils set for Martin Brodeur’s 1,200th game, payback for Penguins

Sugar Shack Jimmy Gilmer & The Fireballs – 1963 Spent 5 weeks at number 1. Group had a couple of other hits, Daisy Petal Pickin reached number 15 in 1964 and Bottle of Wine number 9 in 1968

Theme this week was restaurants, cafes,etc.Places that serve food.

4. John Lease says:

Liriano finally signs.

If you were going to give him almost 13 million guaranteed, and it drops to 1 million, what does that say about your original offer?

5. Eric Bowser says:

I’m really going to watch Boychuk today as I’ve read he’s been playing well on a line with Malkin and Neal but has yet to register a point in five games and only has 5 shots and 6 hits. I understand he’s skating well and helping along the boards but at some point, he’s just going to turn into a third wheel like Jeffrey and Tangradi if he doesn’t start producing points.

Curious to see how the team looks without Letang on defense, especially the power play. I heard Martin looked good out there the last game in his place and I’ve made it quite clear that I think Letang has been part of the issue with the top unit.

It says the situation changed from the time of the original offer.

Stop making sense. Not allowed.

I’ve paid some attention to him, and he has been playing well, Eric. His speed is great, he has good vision, good passes, He seems to be smart. The goals should come. i don’t expect a profilerate scorer like Neal, but some goal scoring would be nice :)

So what if the Super Bowl was this weekend in New York?

good point!

Just like the power outage. There’d be an investigation to determine the cause.

I hope all the electrical devices are working at Prudential Center.

Sign in with a post to Lunatic Nation

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

306 locations represented in the blog,
    Honorary members, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference
    Beano
    Lemonaid Guy
    The Gunner
    Mr Roberto Clemente
    Mike Lange
    Myron Cope
    The Honorable Mayor Richard Caliguiri
    Kevin Mcclachety
    13 countries
    43 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 7 states, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Hawaii, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma
    Two planets, at least confirmed
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    2/9/2013 9:40 AM

14. TJ says:

The one thing that I notice about boychuk is you don’t hear his name called a lot; which to me is perfectly fine on that line. Tangradi and Kennedy just seemed to get in the way more than anything else while Boychuk is like a wall flower. If Ray Shero had done his job and got him in the deal with Sutter we’d probably be undefeated…. Sorry Jandy had to say it

I hope that includes the tasers. (It IS Newark.)

pffffttt!! lol ;)

Geez, we got Sutter and a #8 draft pick. You’re greedy!

17. Playoffs by 2012 says:

What is the temperature today Drew?

18. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Which octogenarian will the Devils have in the net today?

lol Uncle Daddy’s 1200th game. He’s old as dirt ;)

Sometimes you put songs on here that I just have to listen to. Today was not one of those days. :)

It says he broke his arm.

Stinks about the same as Tangradi. Just in a different way.

Milo, not really. Boychuk is smaller, but he uses his speed to get around defenders and get in good position.

24. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Uncle Daddy….now THAT is funny!!!!

Good morning Jandy.

I was going to disagree with you but that avatar makes it down right impossible.

hey, good morning, Milo, my friend. Disagree away, it’s ok. I love diverse opinions. Makes things spicier ;)

28. cosmo says:

He picked him up for nothing in return.

I can’t take credit for it. FaceOffFactor has a writer who grades the games. It’s a good column after the games. Mike Adams came up with that one. I love to use it, tho. It fits!

30. LuckyNKentucky says:

Is that you son-in-law’s site, J-girl?

31. sarah says:

The PP seemed calmer and more organized w Martin at qb. Be interesting what bylsma does when Letang returns. Ive been critical of Martin but he’s earning his salary thus far. Good on him.

32. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Just watched the Crosby homer video for the first time. I heard about it back when it happened but never saw it- holy crap he freakin blasted it!

Is there anyway Neal the SEAL can sign Sid to take over for Travis Wider when hockey is over?

33. LuckyNKentucky says:

Then who would be the head chef in the Pirates’ clubhouse, Brad?

They could move the game to Pittsburgh.

Can’t a winner for everyone every day :)

36. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Errr……. gotta think……

Pedro? I’m sure he cooks a mean steak. He’s not exactly tipping the scales at 150 either. But now that I think about it, 2 of the least Fabio-physiqued guys on the team made some of the most spectacular defensive plays last year.

Yes, Spunky it is.

Brad, Crosby is all muscle. I hear his legs are like tree trunks. Malkin says he (Malkin) has skinny legs, he needs to work out to get strong legs like Sid. Those guys crack me up.

You have a good memory, Grandpa ;)

40. Iceman says:

This is my thought exactly (minus the jab at Shero)

41. Iceman says:

ESPN would report that it was weather that caused the snow.

42. TJ says:

Guys I was kidding about the jab at Shero.

43. TJ says:

I heard Pedro cooks up some mean room service

I saw “Ted” last night. Enjoyed it overall, but Seth’s humor often skews to the scatological, which is just too juvenile for my tastes. Generally a funny movie, though.

Should be interesting, him hosting the Oscars. He can be brutal on celebrities taking themselves too seriously, so could be a good show.

3 rays of sunshine for me this past week: the tickets for 3 spring training games in Bradenton arrived this week.

Now I ask that Drew refrain from posting how many rays of sunshine counted this morning looking out his window.

46. LuckyNKentucky says:

As long as it wasn’t yesterday.

“Kill the DJ, kill the DJ, kill the DJ,…kill the DJ!”. :)

I appreciate the juvenile humor. Hey, at least I’m honest. And it doesn’t go as far as South Park. :-)

I hope the show is better than the ads with Seth. They have been pretty lame. He’s minting money right now. “Ted” has grossed over $200 mil.

49. TJ says:

Could be worse… Could have Solomon Wilcots standing outside to get an official word from Mother Nature on what caused the storm

TC, did you get your restraining order against Drew yet? :)

I got mine too. That’s always a good day.

52. LuckyNKentucky says:

If Snider could translate that extra poundage into more than his 1 Pirate HR, he can cook and eat all he wants. Nobody says much about Prince Fielder, but, if he didn’t hit his dingers, that’s all anybody would say. Like a couple years ago when he was supposedly a vegan or something, and got off to a slow start.

Snider needs to produce a Pedro-like year, then he can wear a chef’s hat in the games for all I care. :P

TJ, you forgot your emoticon, then! :P

Jandy, I was thinking of making a mask of an emoticon, maybe this one :-) , and wearing it while I’m at the games. We know how much Drew hates those (heck, he may even hate smiling). He wouldn’t bother a person wearing one of those.

55. 3 DAYS UNTIL THE BEGINNING OF PIRATE SPRING TRAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!

56. TJ says:

Lets be honest here…. Who wouldn’t have wanted their teddy bear to talk when they were 6 or 7. The movie was one of those ones you have to watch once. Its one of those “oh my god” did I just see that type of humor movies. Favorite part of the movie was when he was working in the grocery store…. that was pushing the limits of “oh my god” did I see that but gosh was it funny

I know there are still a lot of question marks with a lot of potential starting pitchers that will be in camp for the Bucs, but for some reason I like the depth and potential. Or should I say I am trying to be optimistic. It could turn out good….or really bad.

58. TJ says:

You going to look like Hannibal Lecter? Why not just get a Ray Lewis helmet with that ridiculous cage on the front?

59. Oshkosh b’gosh!

I loved your detasseling and fanzine story from a day or two ago!!

Thanks for sharing it!

To those for whom those are two foreign words, you’ll have to go back and find Oshkosh b’gosh’s story . . . . . . . or move to Iowa.

Look like Hannibal Lecter vs having Drew bother you at a Spring Training game.

You decide.

Ah. Prognostication.

We’ll mark you down for good or bad.

62. TJ says:

Well the nice thing about the depth is that when AJ turns into NY version of AJ and Wandy can’t talk to the catcher cause he only speaks spanish, and when Liriano breaks his pitching arm, and Mcdonald comes back to pitch like Ronald McDonald we will have plenty of options in the minors to come in and be as good or worse..

63. Eric Bowser says:

saw great note from Penguins reporter for Hockeybuzz.com’s John Toperzer.

The top defense pairing of Orpik and Martin have 1 minor penalty while playing over 539 minutes so far this season.

So I looked into that, Pens have 3 of the top 20 defensemen with the least amount of penalties taken per 60 minutes of TOI.

Martin and Letang tied for 1st with 0.00 and Orpik is 17th at .3

Hopefully, Despres will cut down on his minor penalties (7 so far) and if you wondered about how Engelland stacks up for Dmen having played at least 10 games, he’s 18th worst in NHL with 1.3 penalties per 60 minutes TOI. The worst is Flyers defensemen Braydon Coburn with 3 penalties per 60 minutes.

64. TJ says:

We have a Pittsburgh fan in Iowa. They would need to move to Montana; we haven’t made it that far yet.

65. December 14, 1975 ——— not a good day. In fact, one of the worst in Pirate history!!

66. TJ says:

And the call that Orpik got on Ovie last game was so ridiculous. If your going to take a penalty on Ovie at least do some damage. Such a ticky tack call

I was going to predict:
    Liriano – Cy Young Award Winner
    Charlie Morton – Comeback Player of the Year
    Jeff Karstens – will never resign with the Pirates
    Russel Martin – All-star, and a big improvement over Barajas.

But I erased it and went with what I wrote above.

Duly noted. This is the first reference in 2013 that the Pirates will have problems because Wandy won’t be able to understand the catcher.

Good stuff, Eric…and TC I agree!

70. TJ says:

Jeezus Jandy it’s 2 letters… TJ. You’ve called me like 3 different names in the past 2 days!!

71. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’m surprised you didn’t compare him to Letang (winking yellow happy man face)

72. TJ says:

I saw a user name of BMTIB bidding on a spanish version of Rosetta Stone the other day. Could be a coincidence

Maybe Wandy speaks French. Martin is French-Canadian, and spent a lot of time in Paris.

74. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I have no problem with big boned guys in baseball. Kruk, Fielder(s), Sabathia, Ruth- they all seemed to do ok. I might think twice if he wears a chef hat and an apron though.

75. Christopher Walton says:

Hoping Boychuk can start to pick up some points. He doesn’t look out of place with 18 and 71, but can he produce? Pens need another winger, period. Would anyone out there consider trading Letang for a high quality winger and a top six large body on the blue line? Interested in opinions.

76. “You can get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant——excepting Alice.”

Here is the Trib’s Penguins page. Rob Rossi is stuck in the blizzard.

And they mocked you DK when you went to Canada.

Don’t mess with the Teej

79. Eric Bowser says:

I would have been if Despres, Morrow and Dumoulin were established.

Reese isn’t the type to be able to log those minutes taken by Letang or his 2-way role.

Probably a moot point as I think Shero has said he wants to sign Malkin and Letang long-term.

You think that’s the ONLY reason?

81. Sure, he SAYS he is stuck in the blizzard . . . . but he probably just can’t find a parking place like 24/7!

82. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I wouldn’t trade Letang unless it involved a Shea Weber or Karlsson. I would however be happy if they get Malone or a similar type player for a mid-low draft pick. I like what I’ve seen from Boychuck, just not sure he can finish. Maybe he’ll get started today. I could probably poke one in playing on that line for crying out loud (or at least get hit by an errant shot that finds its way into the net- it worked for Colby).

Southhampton up 2-0 over Man City at 23 minutes

That was earlier in the week

85. Eric Bowser says:

Pens start with Crosby between Kunitz and Malkin…. good first shift.

And to the PP the Pens go

86. Eric Bowser says:

1-0 Pens
    PP goal by Simon Despres, Dupuis and Sutter blocking view for Brodeur…

87. Eric Bowser says:

goal awarded to Sutter (deflection), assists Despres and Kennedy.

outstanding setup by Dupuis and Sutter in front of net… 9 high and 16 low

88. Dom says:

4-1 shots on goal in our favor. Let’s keep it up.

Peter BeBoer (yawn).

90. Dom says:

Good PP kill. I don’t think the devils had one shot on goal.

The Devils are looking for trouble today.

92. Eric Bowser says:

Crosby takes a good hit nowhere near puck by Clarkson… unreal Malkin gets interference penalty… same thing by Clarkson and nothing. Officiating in NHL sucks.

93. Eric Bowser says:

because this game is over Bortuzzo and Clarkson are going to be combatants.

94. Eric Bowser says:

before this… argh

“scuuuusseeeeee me!

I particularly hate linesmen.

Besides, it’s not Jeezus, it’s Mother Theresa :P

this is REALLY p*ssing me off! GrrRrr!

99. Dom says:

ANOTHER power play for NJ.

The Devils are playing like the Flyers today. The Pens need to keep their cool.

101. Eric Bowser says:

Pens are taking too many penalties.. Dupuis off for hit to head.

that was sad on Duper’s part…stupid

Kovalchuk has played 9 minutes already.

Stuper Duper ?

you could say that lol

106. Eric Bowser says:

Updated stat sheet

Kovalchuk 10:53 (thanks to 6 minutes on PP)

Martin 9:27 and Orpik 8:58

The penalties limited Crosby 4:49 and Malkin 5:59

This NJ team is pretty cheap

108. Eric Bowser says:

always cheap and sneaky

we need to keep our composure

Guess you just can’t check anybody anymore.

111. sarah says:

Way too many penalties. Living dangerously….

you can if you play for NJ

You just get that feeling that one more goal will be enough.

I don’t like the 2 goal lead lol

GENO better get it

are you kidding me????

I think 18 is due.

over due

$%#@!

120. Iceman says:

Bortuzzo is in the face of every player on NJ. I like the intensity, just hope he doesn’t get called for a bunch of late roughing calls.

And NJ ties it up…

121. sarah says:

Where u at 44? Geez.

122. sarah says:

How is there that much open space for a shooter 10ft from the net. Good Lord.

yeah he was out of it there

keep it on the edge but don’t go over

man we blew it there

PP’s aren’t helping if we’re not converting

127. Eric Bowser says:

I don’t think that was Orpik, looked the assignment was blown by Sutter.

128. Eric Bowser says:

I’d like to know where this improved PP is since I was gone this week because what I’ve seen today is the same old stuff from Malkin and Crosby with sloppy passing, lack of skating/movement. Second unit did it right with screens.

It was better the last game

Typical Devils game, PPs don’t help

131. Eric Bowser says:

maybe I should just stop watching 2nd period of Penguins games

I don’t know. The last one against the Caps was pretty good. ;-)

zactly!

134. sarah says:

Orpik seemed like he was po’d at somebody else but he seemed the most out of position of anyone…..dunno. Only saw one replay angle…..

135. Eric Bowser says:

exactly, I missed that period. Only saw some of 1st pd in Philly.

a little rebound control would be nice smh

%^$@!

138. sarah says:

How many penalties now? Whoops there it is. Nj lead. Ugly.

139. sarah says:

Nah maf not the issue today. Yiu cant play half the gottamn game short.

140. Eric Bowser says:

Bylsma standing on the bench with his arms folded… great coaching.

Malkin needs to sit until he learns some discipline

142. sarah says:

And again on pk. Ridiculous.

143. sarah says:

If you’re DB do u bench 71?

144. sarah says:

Shocker there. 3-1…..

I do. he’s costing us the game now

146. sarah says:

TWELVE penalties. Pens have p-ssed this one away.

discipline

148. sarah says:

Or lack of. Response by Bylsma will be?……

that was what I was saying. Prolly no response

I AGREE!!

151. Eric Bowser says:

What really bothered me was at the end of the game… Pens have a 6 on 4 PP advantage with Fleury pulled and NO ONE stood in front of Brodeur… in fact, there should have been two guys in front of him but no one.

That’s the kind of lack of discipline, lack of effort, lack of coaching that drives me nuts.

- Boychuk was pretty bad in this game and I know he has speed but he was off all game long.

- PP….ah… what PP?

Good thing the Pens get the Devils tomorrow in Pittsburgh.

152. sarah says:

Yah gotcha. You have to wonder, if they cant keep a lid on it at this stage of the season, how good will their discipline be in the playoffs.
    I confess last spring had a big effect on me.
    I almost dont care how great they may look now.
    Its all about the playoffs.
    These kinds of games make me very nervous…..
    U

153. sarah says:

Agree all points Eric. The only effective screen I saw on PP was early, 2nd string group, on the 1st goal. Total penalties what – 14?
    That’s discipline all right ….

154. Brad, Indiana PA says:

What the deuce was that?! I know Sid is putting up some points and getting his groove back, but man. He passes up shots left and right. He’s gotta average about 4 or 5 giveaways per game- most with dumb blind passes right through the middle. Geno’s been doing the same thing and now Neal (not the SEAL) is doing it too. Drives me nuts.

Geno’s gotta learn to stay outta the box. Bylsma needs to go to Starbucks before the game with DK and get a mocha injection. The PK is WAY too passive. Not enough challenging and not enough physical play. And there’s just no excuse for 8 minutes or whatever it was without a shot. No team is that good defensively that you can’t at least toss a floater from center ice at the goal.

And Tyler Kennedy is still crap.

155. MadTurk says:

Officiating in sports is Bad! My list from bad to worse.

Baseball
    Football
    Basketball
    Hockey (this is the only item I hate about hockey)