Final: St. Bonaventure 78, Duquesne 71

Looking ahead to tipoff …

Game: Duquesne (8-18, 1-11 Atlantic 10) vs. St. Bonaventure (12-13, 5-7)

Time: 7:02 p.m.

Site: A.J. Palumbo Center

Radio: WPGB-FM 104.7

Here is Duquesne’s Gameday page.

Here is TribLIVE’s Duquesne page. Chris Harlan is on the scene.

Comments

Let’s beat the Pirates’ thread

2. Here works. No offense to the Dukes.

Not sure if you recall our twitter conversation a few weeks back about the dominance of the Steelers as the #1 team in Pittsburgh sports fans’ hearts. A piece indirectly on this subject by Liz Snyder in yesterday’s Post-Gazette ( http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/morning-file/storytelling-grandpa-and-pens-credited-with-assists-for-her-sports-fervor-676427/) prompted me to write this: http://emotionalgalaxy.tumblr.com/

My question…do you think it’s even worth it to debate the Steelers’ dominance in this town? The time seems right to level the playing field. As much as I do love the Steelers, too, it’s hockey and the Pens who are my first sports love, and I’m fairly certain I’m not alone.

Like I said to you on twitter on this subject, perhaps if more of us stopped pushing the idea of Steelers first, it would become less true. Or perhaps I should just get over it. It’s a heckuva a wonderful situation to be in as a sports fan in Pittsburgh. Just something to think about.

Thanks for your time…

DK: Facts are facts, Pam. The Steelers outdraw the Penguins on TV by margins approaching 3 to 1. It’s not even close. That’s not “pushing the idea.” It’s relaying a fact.

If and when the Penguins overtake the Steelers — and I don’t believe that will ever happen — I’ve no doubt it will be reported as such. One comes before the other.

My sense:

1. If you ask all Pittsburghers to name their favorite team, any sport any level, Steelers win handily.

2. But if you ask same Pittsburghers, how many of you live and die for a team, where you consider it’s success one of the most important elements in your life? I think the Pens fans would have at least as many hands in the air as fans of the Steelers.

I’m a fan but I’m not one of those live and die fans. Or I’d be dead already because my favorite team is the Pirates.

Me too

The love of my life, sports wise is the PBC

Steelers? They have spoiled me with 6 championships
    Pens, ditto with 3

I think I live and die with those two teams, but not as much as the Bucs

Pitt? Well I went to one night class there back in the 70′s, only thing I remember is Andy Russel’s wife was in the class, but Pitt seems to constantly underachieve, except for Tony Dorsetts senior season, so I’m used to it

The Bucs, I remember the way things were

If you want to sign your location in, and its not listed below, please add a post to this one

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead
    Massachusetts – Boston
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

315 locations represented in the blog,
    Honorary members, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference
    Beano
    Lemonade Guy
    The Gunner
    Mr Roberto Clemente
    Mike Lange
    Myron Cope
    The Honorable Mayor Richard Caliguiri
    Kevin McClatchy
    Mike Emrick
    13 countries
    44 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 7 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Hawaii, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma
    Two planets, at least confirmed
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    2/23/2013 5:37 PM

I forgot to mention, I root for anything with a burgh connection, so lets do it Dukes

+many. I’m loyal as a dog to our Pittsburgh teams.

not me. not pitt.

i respect Jamie Dixon. cathedral of learning looks cool.

that’s it. nothing else that i like about the blue and regurgitated yellow.

and the “dirty O” is for overrated.

and it’s dirty.

Drew at #2. I just fee that the Steelers hands in the air would far outnumber the Penguins fans.

I grew up walking to Pitt football games and going to basketball games. Can still picture the Allen Pinkett flea flicker in 1982 like it was yesterday.

One difference of Pittsburgh vs other cities where I’ve lived. The number of women who are Steelers and Pens fans. Knowledgeable fans.

Not trying to patronize, just compare numbers. Sure, in pure numbers, men outnumber women as sports fans in Pittsburgh, too. But the gap seems MUCH closer than in other cities I’ve lived (Philly, Baltimore, DC, Cleveland, Atlanta, Tampa).

I’m old enough to have walked Cardiac Hill to see Steeler games. And for pitt games during the Dorsett era but that’s about it for pitt.

Watched a roller derby match at the arena once. I think the team was the Kansas City Rollers or something.

My dad thought I would like it. I found it totally confusing. But I could dig fighting chicks on skates.

Penn State alumnus and fan alert! Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

Agree. Marketing firms have reported that the Steelers have the largest female fan base in the NFL.

“And for pitt games during the Dorsett era but that’s about it for pitt.”

Hmmm. There was a kid who sat by me a few times and cried a lot.

And marketing firms are the only people it really matters to.

17. I’ve noticed that, too, Drew71. There are a lot of women here who know their sports. Then again, my female extended family members in the Philly area are pretty knowledgeable, too. Then again again…the sports fans I hang out with are knowledgeable, both sexes.

18. Me, too, Bizrow. I root for all Pittsburgh sports…unless we suddenly adopt a golf team. That’s where I draw the line.

Unless you’re going to the game to meet chicks.

Women who know sports?

Hot

By the way. My wife doesn’t like sports

I only cried at my wedding.

Rosey Rowswell

Izzy Moidell

I still pull for PSU

Unless they play Pitt

And the cake eaters

I cried with joy that one time Travis Snider hit a homerun.

Best day you ever had?

Me too except when I became a dad

Or a grandfather

I didn’t cry but was otherwise devestated when my Mom woke me up the day Roberto was lost.

Has Travis hit a dinger?

Man. You totally missed that point.

Oh. Right.

You’re happily married.

Seriously cried that day.

28. LuckyNKentucky says:

29. JoeyBats says:

BTW……………………in case anyone cares…………………..Bonnies 78 – Dukes 71. ;-)

Was there a game?

31. JoeyBats says:

:-) ….Quevyn Winters led the team with 18 points and 7 rebounds

GO DUKES !

…one of thes years (errrrrr, maybe…..)

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back