Tuesday Wakeup Call: Just say ‘Florida State’

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Morning, lunatics …

>> The TribLIVE Radio show today — 1-2 p.m. — will feature special guest Paul Chryst, talking about Pitt’s highly interesting 2013 football schedule, as well as other topics related to the coming season.

To listen to the show, just click on TribLIVE Radio. It’s free, easy, no registration. If you’ve got an iPhone, iPad or Android, we’ve also got the TribLIVE Radio app that’s recently been upgraded.

Also, the Trib’s Penguins beat writer, Rob Rossi, will check in from Florida. And the local Twitter legend @suckmeter will offer, in his own inimitable manner, the Suck of the Week in Pittsburgh sports.

I want you to be involved, too. Email: sportstalk@tribweb.com Or call 412-320-7925.

>> Enjoyed Pitt’s news conference over at Heinz Field. Had several good conversations, including with always amiable Steve Pederson on a host of topics, and I’ll share one with you right here.

This, of course, is senior-to-be wide receiver Devin Street

>> A GM who acquires throw-ins better than the best player he trades, that’s a pretty good GM. Ray Shero getting Matt Niskanen? Yeah, him, too, but this is about Pascal Dupuis.

>> It’ll be interesting to see if Mark Eaton is used soon by the Penguins, maybe even tonight against the Panthers. No way he was just added to the roster to be a taxi guy. Josh Yohe reports.

>> It’ll be interesting, too, to see if Starling Marte can become a good on-base guy out of the leadoff spot. Rob Biertempfel checks with another well-known free-swinger in Bradenton.

A sunsplashed video on that topic …

>> It’ll be further interesting, to pound this pointeless meme into a pulp, to see if Jamie Dixon will ever get his wish for a true go-to scorer. Kevin Gorman reports.

>> Hope to hear from you for the show. If not, the podcast will be up here shortly afterward.

Comments

1. JohnH says:

First, victory is mine!!!

2. Ghost says:

You get a gold fish!

3. Ghost says:

Just stumbled across a four year-old gem of a video of Mike Easler. Here’s Easler, wearing a Dodger uniform, standing in Dodger Stadium, speaking about how Pittsburgh is his favorite city. Even after someone (Larry Bowa?) gives him some grief for it, Easler stands up for Pittsburgh. Go Hit Man!

My wife’s name is Meme. I like your suggested adjective.

Easler had it just about right. But he didn’t mention the beaches.

That’s a manly schedule. Too bad it’s pitt.

But if you’re gonna play florida state anyway, why not get some action as a high attention early season TV game. And play a good team while their working in a new QB, new defense, and 17 new coaches.

I don’t like the seminoles. Either. So this will be like the recent Super Bowl for me. Don’t want either team to win.

I had thought I’d fixed the Super Bowl with that neat light trick. But the NFL suits stared so hard at the Super Dome roof that they made the lights come back on.

This time, I’ll have to knock OVER the lights.

it’s almost 6:15. where IS everybody?

::::wavin’::
    I’m here, Drew, dahling. Was just reading Yohe’s write up on Duper. It’s good reading. And well-deserved praise for Dupuis. The guy works hard.

be very careful when you’re knockin’ down the lights. Don’t hurt yourself.

Loved Shero’s line from just after Hossa’s initial injury.

JAL’s 1984 Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Spring Training Tracker

BLOGS and such

5—Pirates Prospects

Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Minor League Spring Training Roster

First Pitch: On the Hurdle Extension and the First Day of Minor League Camp

6 Bucs Dugout

Jeanmar Gomez gives up 4 runs in Pirates’ 5-4 loss to Twins

7 Raise the Jolly Roger

Monday notes: Bucs drop first game

8 WHYGAVS

On the whole, though, the Pirates are a pretty good franchise

9 Rumbunter

Pittsburgh Pirates Streak Snapped

Pirates Kyle McPherson Had A Serious Focused Stare Going On Today

10 Green Weenie

Bucs Drop First 5-4

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

11 Bradenton Herald

Reasons abound to keep an eye on the Pittsburgh Pirates

12 Reds Reporter

Pop-out Art: A Factory of Frustration (Pittsburgh Pirates Preview)

13 KDKA

Pirates Players React To First Week Of Spring Training

14 Bleacher Report

Is the Massive Gap Between Big-Market vs. Small-Market MLB Teams Leveling Out?

15 Rant Sports

Jeanmar Gomez Gets Blasted in Spring Debut for Pittsburgh Pirates

16 Sporting Charts

2013 MLB National League Divisional Preview

17 Sweetspot

This is why players are paid to play

18 PBC SITE

Bucs out to control the bases this season

McPherson, Snider show well as Bucs fall to Twins

SPORTS WEBSITES

19 Baseball Prospectus

The Week In Quotes

20 Fangraphs

Walker Worthy of Extension

>Steelers Blogs

21 Behind the Steel Curtain

Steelers Antonio Brown admits awkwardness with free agent Mike Wallace in 2013

2013 Steelers Draft Prospects: Cincinnati OLB Walter Stewart is this year’s best kept secret

22 Steelers Depot

-The Terrible Podcast – Talking NFL Combine Results, NFL Draft, Sean Spence & More Episode

Soccer(football)

23 Daily Telegraph

West Ham United 2 Tottenham Hotspur 3: match report

24 World Soccer Daily

World Soccer Daily: 10 stories you need to read, 25th February, 2013

PENGUIN BLOGS and NHL Links

25 Pensburgh

Pens sign Mark Eaton to one year contract

1984 David Bowie 1974 and based on George Orwell’s novel of the same name.

yeah…well, even Shero was pleasantly surprised when he had to eat them…nor did he mind ;)

Loved Yohe’s story on Pascal Dupuis. The guys just works hard all the time. He’s very under-rated, IMO.

17. AL says:

I also liked the Dupuis story Jandy……maybe someday we’ll be reading this about Joe Vitale too. I really liked the clip they showed about him before the last game. I think Joe’s going to be another fan favorite too like Max Talbot was (is).

18. JohnH says:

I was hoping for a chessman piece

19. Patrick says:

You don’t win the games that really matter without guys like Dupuis.

And Vitale.

20. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Maybe Eatin’ will be the guy to finally knock Tyler Kennedy out of the lineup.

AL, I actually like Vitale a lot too. I don’t think he has as much as Duper does, but he’s close. He might fool me, too, tho, and I’d be thrilled. He’s also improved his speed, and his face off skills are really good. Pluys he’s a bit younger than Duper, so he has time to improve even more.

Brad, I swear, once you start chewin’ on a bone, you just don’t let go. You’re worse than a woman with PMS! :P

23. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Hey, gimme some credit. I mostly stopped gnawing on the Paul Martin chew-toy. And I just watched the Married With Children “Camping Episode”, so maybe that explains the latter part.

24. Brad, Indiana PA says:

BTW, did you notice Dupweee makes far less money than Tyler I shoot and miss from 20ft away when there’s an open path to the net against the Tampa Bay Lightning Kennedy?

25. Iceman says:

Just saw that Chicago won in OT again last night. They are now 19 games into their season and have received at least 1 point in every game. That is just plain insane!

26. Brad, Indiana PA says:

The things about Dupweeee that worries me is A) he doesn’t know how to stop and B) he’s a slashing penalty waiting to happen- but he gets away with it, so not really a concern I guess.

27. Iceman says:

Brad – I know you’re hoping that the Eaton signing leads to a trade that sends TK into the wild blue yonder.

28. Iceman says:

“he doesn’t know how to stop”

Isn’t that what the boards are for?

29. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’m predicting Vitally will be a steady 3rd liner before the season’s over.

30. Iceman says:

Vitale has to be able to pick up some PK minutes before I’m putting him in with the likes of Dupuis. That being said, that faceoff win percentage of 60+% does look pretty nice.

31. Brad, Indiana PA says:

lol you are correct, sir! If they could package Paul Martin’s salary but hold onto current Paul Martin, I’d be happy with that too. Let’s see Shero pull that one off.

32. Brad, Indiana PA says:

True, but one of these times he’s going to go in head first, and that’s what worries me.

33. Iceman says:

Who do you think gets pulled off the third line then? I know you’re going to say TK, but I don’t know if I want to put both Sutter and Vitale on the same line. They are two of our best face-off men.

Beat me to the punch, Iceman.

Not to steal Ray Shero’s thunder, but Stan Bowman has done an incredible job retooling that 2010 Cup winner. There isn’t a deeper team in the league that I’ve seen.

I figured this would be the year the bottom fell out for them after the cap crunch they faced post championship, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. This team might very well be better.

35. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Put that 60+% on the PK and I bet our PK% goes up pretty nicely. Though Sutter seems to be doing ok in that department at 51.6%.

36. Iceman says:

That would require some serious voodoo magic.

37. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’d take the chance I guess. Mainly meant I think he’ll develop into that caliber.

38. Iceman says:

I watched some of the game last night and they are good in all areas (offense, defense, special teams). I would’ve thought that goalkeeping would’ve been a problem, but from what I’ve seen/heard, their goalkeeping has won them a couple games. Craziness.

39. AL says:

I’d love to see the Blackhawks face off against the Pens but with the shortened regular season, I don’t think we see them, do we?

40. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Looking at the current standings, the East seems to be a little stronger overall with 6 teams at 24 points or more, West with 3. But they certainly are looking scary right now and I was thinking what you said, NMR, about them coming down to Earth.

41. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I don’t think there are any inter-conference games this season. YAY lockout!

42. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I picked up Ray Emery on my fantasy team and he’s uh, more than performed. Better than my regular starters anyway, half of which are on IR.

43. Where’s TC, Drew and AW? Time for us to critique this lineup.

Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib
    #Pirates lineup: marte 7, walker 4, cutch 8, alvarez 5, jones 3, gaby dh, hawpe 9, mckenry 2, barmes 6.

Yeah and he has 4 kids to support along with his wife lol

YIKES, I know what you mean. So far, he hasn’t hurt himself or anyone else for that matter.

No regular season games against the Hawks, sorry.

Drew was asking where EVERYONE was at 7:15 this morning…I guess he got tired waiting for us all to show up.

Yes Sutter is holding his own, and I look for him to improve his FO % as well.

Drew, where are YOU????

Woah, make that 6:15 this morning

They are probably resting up for the baseball thread

52. Isn’t this it? Just kidding.

53. That’s 5:15 for me. I know where I was then. :)

well, I was already at the office at 6:15 lol

it is if you want it to be, Spunky ;)

We didn’t spend enough money on this lineup.

like +2

They must teach that “27 Yankees” line at baseball axxhole school.

I’ve been on the pitt-South Florida thread.

All day. Every day.

And by the way. Where were you guys at 4:57 am when I was on here looking for playmates?

Check again. That was my FINAL post this morning.

No. All it means is I don’t like Loria. Either.

Having coffee in bed with my wife.

Was that TMI?

63. Iceman says:

Just read some comments in an article on another site where people are saying that Eaton was brought in so the Pens could offer a trade. I’m ok with that, but their trade suggestions are crazy. Numerous people are saying the Pens should offer Vokoun in a trade because they could bring Theissen up as a backup. These people must not follow Penguins hockey at all. Vokoun was brought in to be a reliable backup for Fleury, especially in the playoffs. No way I risk losing him to bring up Theissen. Theissen isn’t even the number 1 goalie in WBS right now. We tried him last year and he was too slow to play in the NHL. If this is the Penguins intention and I am wrong, i worry even more about our chances in the playoffs.

If anyone had a chance to watch The Franchise last season on Showtime featuring the Marlins behind the scenes, I wonder if anyone would agree that it would be unlikely for there to be bigger clowns in a front office than Loria and Samson, and I’m including our own dynamic trio in that assessment.

Laying in bed, regretting that the alarm was going to go off shortly

66. TJ says:

No way Vokoun is going in a deal any where.

It is interesting however that Eaton was brought in. I’m wondering if the odd man out isn’t Engellynd. I think Eaton will serve more as a mentor and defensive minded guy to pair with Despres. Engellynd gets caught to often trying to join the play.

67. We’ll share with hockey anytime.

I’m surprised NH didn’t copyright it?

69. That’s 3:57 for us Central-timers. I remember waking up and looking at the clock at 4:04 and wondering what Drew was doing.

Did you see Fangraphs thinks they should give Walker an extension? (JAL Link 20)
    And the article talks about ## that the Pirates might choke on. It talks of Walker maybe being in 8 figures through arbitration in the next year or 2.

71. TJ says:

Let me get this right… we are still on the whole lets DUMP Paul Martin kick?

I’m willing to bet that there would be GM’s lining up to take him right now. Anyone happen to notice he’s tied for 4th among D for points. Has 10 points in his past 11 games?

Package his salary? Just being silly at this point.

I was actually up and on the blog.

Didn’t have anything to say. Imagine that!

73. TJ says:

He had already committed and decommitted to high school.

Always comforting to know that somebody could be worse.

Which reminds me of my wedding vows.

Isn’t he just under $4 million for this year?

He could be at $10 million in two years.

Don’t forget the clown in the manager’s office.

Favorite line: “It’s not the first time Alabama has offered a scholarship to a younger recruit, but it doesn’t happen very often.”

Younger? Kids in 8th grade. Leave it to ESPN to describe him as a “younger” recruit, when any sane human would call him what he is, a kid.

You’re so generous, Spunkster ;)

not at all….

VERY hard to imagine :P

yeah but you ASKED at 6:15 :P

Agree with TJ, no way Vokoun is going anywhere. Thiessen? Uhhh.No.
    Eaton is much more interesting. Not sure where he plays a part yet….TJ has a good theory tho.

83. AL says:

I betcha Despres goes back to Wilkes-Barre as he’s the only defenseman not required to clear waivers. We already lost Strait and Lovejoy and can’t afford to lose another experienced defenseman in Engelland.
    Despres has played well but needs just a little more development before he’s 100% NHL ready. He’ll be the first one called up if a defenseman gets injured.

They were talking maybe $12-14 mil in ’14-’15. Looked at a $48 mil 5 year deal starting next year. That’s awfully close to Cutch, but there is that extra national TV money.

Honestly, I don’t see how an extension makes sense from Neil’s perspective.

He realistically has one shot at a large free agent contract, consdering he’ll already be 31 years old when his current contract is up. Delaying that by a year or two will only hurt his chances at getting 4 or 5 years and upwards of $50m.

86. TJ says:

No way Despres goes back to the minors. Makes no sense. He’s proven he can handle his own. He will continue to grow as long as he stays in the NHL.

I’d rather have Despres.

For all the talk of the Pirates being cheap, why in the world did they ever put Walker in a Super 2 situation?

What purpose did having him for one more month in 2010 serve? That extra year of arbitration is gonna cost them.

There’s a lot of truth to that. He’d really have to want to stay here.

You forget, NMR, when he was brought up they had no clue that he would be this good.

90. Naterosboro says:

91. TJ says:

Whats kind of ironic is the 2 clowns have won 2 more WS titles in the past 20 years than we have above .500 records

92. TJ says:

Actually that would be 1 because I believe Wayne Hyz owned them during their first.

Before too long, they will be offering scholarships based on “birth rights”

Wonder if Ben’s son has been contacted by a school yet??

Did anyone?

Also, the Super 2 date changes every year and no one knows what it is until after the season. At the time they brought Walker he he had they rank within the top 17% of all 2-year players in terms of service time. Under the new CBA it now the top 22%. So walker becoming a Super 2 depended on how long other players were up. Russel Martin was a super 2 as was Buster Posey.

“I was actually up ”

Now that was TMI!!!

97. Patrick says:

The only development he needs is from playing. He isnt a polished product by any means but there is nothing he would learn from AHL hockey any more. No way he goes down.

Not sure that matters. The issue you brought up was why did they start his Super 2 status. My answer was, they didn’t really think it mattered with him.

True, but they have a pretty good idea every year what the cutoff date is likely to be. They exposed Jones to it, too, because they likely thought it wasn’t going to matter much.

Gotcha, buddy. Well said.

I’d say that prior to 2010 Walker was largely labeled a disappointment. .259/.307 in 4 season at Triple A (.264/.311 in 2009 there). He never really came on, IMO, until 2010 in Indy.

::snicker::

103. Patrick says:

Honestly I think in a short season, with the specter of buyouts possible in the summer, I dont think this trade deadline will see much movement. There hasn’t been enough hockey played to separate teams so the number of sellers is very little. Realistically, how many teams have ZERO shoot at the playoffs right now? Three? Maybe 4? Columbus, Buffalo, Washington…maybe Colorado. How many guys on those teams do you think would be available? How many guys do those teams have that anybody would even really WANT? Most guys on those teams worth trading for wouldn’t be possible just because of cap purposes.

Really I just don’t see this trade deadline being as big as most people think it will be. Just not enough sellers. Not enough teams willing to give up on the season when they are only 4-5 points out of 8th. With so few teams selling the cost of rental players will be to high.

104. The salt of the earth. :P

And he was but last year on the show it really appeared that he became a puppet of the front office. Hard to believe Ozzie as a puppet but that’s how he came off to me. I think the fiasco early in the season rendered him powerless.

Bottom line for me is, teams (and not just the Pirates) only worry about potential Super 2 with what they think are their truly elite prospects. It’s actually a rational, in the context of baseballs irrational economic world, aspect to the arbitration system.

Agreed 110%

We may see a good example of that “type” of worrying this coming season with Cole.

109. Naterosboro says:

I hope everyone likes my Jeanmar avatar! He deserves it!

JEANMAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize that well-reasoned, succinct comments have a way of killing conversation, don’t you?

Shame, Arriba. Shame.

Now you have to pick another topic to talk about.

You betcha. :-)

112. A couple more outings like yesterday and you can put an Indy cap on him instead of that black one.

113. Can you imagine the size of that kid’s head? Recruited by the National Champions while he’s still in middle school. There won’t be a helmet big enough to fit him. Probably will be admired by teammates and their parents, too.

What a way to spoil a kid’s HS years.

I hate stories like this. But I was just at a meeting regarding my 7 grade son and they were asking him about his higher educational plans.

Heard Boomer Esiason talking about it. He said he didn’t grow into his body until 2d year of college. So this kid is being evaluated against kids his age and a few years older, some, if many, of whom are not near their athletic peak. Everyone thinks this is nuts.

I see Manti Te’o ran a horrible 40 at the combine. Great off season for him, eh.

115. CWalton_67 says:

Completely agree on Pascal–terrific player who does not get nearly enough credit.

116. Kevin says:

Which could hurt us, right? I dunno I thought we had a super duper record against western teams last year. Although way less travel is good too.

I doubt they even let him keep the one on his head. Jeanmar would be an awful option as 5th starter…for Indianapolis.

Andy Oliver gets the ball today. I like lefties with gas.

Dennis Rodman is is North Korea on a goodwill mission. It seems that Kim Jong Un is a big Bulls and Rodman fan and wanted to meet him.

Sure makes me feel better that he has his finger on the bomb.

Oh, and congrats to Penn State for beating my Badgers in men’s hockey last night. It was the final game of the Nittany Lions first season playing Division 1 hockey.

Very cool and good to see that PSU is playing hockey and doing reasonably well.

Pillar of society ;)

Late bloomer??

But, NMR, some people will have to look up “succinct”
    ;)

I think hockey could really take off there.

Tons of fans on campus drawing from Philly, Pittsburgh, and NY/NJ.

I’d be one of them if I practiced what I preached!

Rodman?? everyone start praying!

126. By golly you’re right, Jandy. I thought that said “sucking” and went right by that. ;)

That’s the way people read down here. The first 2 letters of the word then anything after that the mind can imagine.

LOL you’re both killing me!

What would Dejan do? :P

What was Dejan doing???

Wonder why Ray-Ray isn’t there too?

131. Ghost says:

Rodman wrote in his first book that he wanted to play his last basketball game in the nude (to which David Stern quipped, “It *would* be his last game.”)
    Maybe Rodman still holds on to the dream and that is what this little venture is actually about.

Good one, SPunky lol

133. Shame he’s such an idiot. He was the best rebounder, technique-wise, in the game for a while. Especially with the Spurs.

Oh Lord, what a combination THATwould be… smh

Boy , did you ever tell a whole heap of truth there, Spunky

136. Which part? I know, you don’t have to answer.

137. Ghost says:

I dunno, anybody who can wrap the media and culture around his little finger the way Rodman did deserves some credit. Along with the nude basketball game remark, I liked it when he declared he was going to marry himself.

That’s what EYE shoulda done

Sorry, he’s just a sick dog.

I know who you are referring to.

He probably doesn’t know any good lawyers.

Don’t be putting words into my mouth, AW ;X

143. Ghost says:

Jandy,
    I see a line of suitors forming outside your door. There’s Dennis, there’s Ray…

Door is firmly LOCKED! ;)

145. Patrick says:

What about Oliver Onion? I heard he worked out some his mechanics in winter ball.

146. Ghost says:

Good one. And you could have serenaded yourself with “Embraceable Ewe.”

147. Jag7 says:

The only way the Eaton signing is good is if it means Engelland is the odd man out. The Pens have all these supposedly amazing young Dmen, yet they refuse to play them b/c they’re not ‘experienced’. Just b/c you’re experienced doesn’t mean you’re good. This is like Pitt bball (before this year), when you had to sit on the bench for 2 years before you started no matter if you were better than one of the experienced seniors.

Jag7, the only other scenario I can envision is a trade involving a d-man, then needing Eaton to fill the void. Not sure what’s going on tho.

149. Nate83 says:

If his back becomes chronic and he only plays 100 games or so each of the next 2 years he will end up with a lot less. There is something nice about signing a deal worth 40-50 million as apposed to playing year to year for 4-8 million. There is something to be said about the security of that much money.

OK from the Pens’ practice this morning, Vokoun will start in goal tonight. Also, Mark Eaton will NOT play.
    Hmmm…..

Pirates Orioles rained out

152. Nate83 says:

I’m sure Frank does.

hey JAL! Good song selection today. Bowie turned 66 last month.

154. Nate83 says:

I do to.

My wifes a lefty and she has gas. I wasn’t made aware of it until after we got married but then the gloves came off and the lysol spray quickly followed.

155. tpbco says:

Other than big minutes in a Top 2 position, w/ PP and PK time he can not and will not get here. More valuable in the long term deveolpement than playing as a Bottom 2 pairing.

Englelland can’t go anywhere. Glass is a good fit, and will drop ‘em, but no no one is afraid of him and there is NO ONE else on big club as a deterent.

156. Jag7 says:

This one’s a headscratcher. That said, I think Shero is a very good GM. If this was the Pirates, I’d have zero confidence in their bigger picture plan.

I don’t have a problem with Shero, either. Time will tell the tale.

Fit the theme, songs about books

Glad you liked it

159. tpbco says:

Already posted above but….

Engelland can’t go anywhere. Tanner Glass is a good fit and will drop ‘em, but no one is afraid of him and there is NO ONE else on the roster to fill that role on a nightly basis.

tpbco, I myself like Engo. As you say, he fills a need. He can fight, players fear him (most do), and unlike the typical tough guy, he can actually play, defend reasonably well, and is a decent skater. (And please, some of you, no comments about the mistakes he makes, it’s far fewer than your typical tough guy). There are those who will say the typical tough guy is no longer needed in today’s NHL. I disagree with that. While that time may come, it’s not here yet. So, yeah, I can’t see what Shero is trying to do by signing Eaton.

Always been a Bowie fan. Not one of his best albums, but I have the LP.

Bowie and Queen…good ol’ Freddie Mercury….two of my brit favorites.

Ziggy played guitar, jamming good with Weird and Gilly,
    and the spiders from Mars. He played it left hand
    But made it too far
    Became the special man, then we were Ziggy’s band

The midday show on MLB XM was in Bradenton today. I heard interviews with Walker, Pedro, Grilli, Hurdle and NH. They all sounded positive and ready to go.

Hurdle and Grilli both mentioned the quality arms we now have in camp.

And NH sounded pretty much like a normal guy. Didn’t say anything stupid.

One of the hosts asked Neal about a contract extension for AJ Burnett. NH kinda stammered a bit and answered the question in ‘general’ terms…and said that he doesn’t like to talk about specific contract negotiations.

Just for you, Jandy :)

Lucky,
    He likes to keep those double secret.

Jandy played guitar, jamming good with Lucky and NMR
    and the lunatics from Dejan. She played it left hand
    But made it too far
    Became the special chick, then we were Jandy’s band

168. Good point. He’s probably already gotten one and we don’t know about it. Frank, too.

I wish they would have asked Neal if it took the wind out of his sails when they traded Casey McGehee.

Translation–AJ is a goner after this year. Unless, of course, he doesn’t make it the entire year. Just the facts, ma’am.

171. tpbco says:

I agree that it is most important is that you have a tough guy(s) that can also contribute. Engelland can do that, IMO, he has played significantly better this year and if anything, might be guilty of trying to do more than he should. You can fix that.

The added effect of losing guys like Rupp, Asham, Gill, Talbot, Fedetinko, etc has made this a much easier team to play against and will show up in the playoffs more so than in the regular season.

There HAS to be a plan…likely a trade but it’s anybody’s guess as to what it is.

In Shero we (should) trust.

Neal was just worried if they would have dumped Kyle. THAT would have taken the wind out of his sails.

Not so fast joy boy. I could see A.J. being a candidate to stick around for a mutually acceptable salary. Seriously.

I’m never wrong.

What do you think we could’ve gotten for Kyle?

Don’t know if this has come up and JAL, consider ths a pre apology if you had it in your links, but baseballreference now has a rating on players faced.

I’m not sure Neal will be around for that negotiaton. His baseball life hangs on those alleged quality arms.

We already know family is a big deal because of his no trade clause. I wouldn’t be surprised if AJ went all Derrek Lee and rode off into the sunset.

Guy would be playing 2014 as a 37 year old and already has earned over $100m. Presumably would be entertaining one year offers at around half of what he’s making now, unless he somehow manages to get even better than last year.

Hey, guys. Talk to Neal. I’m just the translator for what TC said Neal said.

Neal would still be in mourning . . . if he wouldn’t have quit.

Woulda been better than Qualls, though. HA!

Interesting. One of the things that jumped out at me was seeing the ages all in one place.
    Snider and Sands are only one year older than Marte and Tabata.

You have earned your keep today

If you can translate that, I think there are some ancient hyroglphics somewhere that need you ;-)

:-P