On location: Tigers 4, Pirates 1, exhibition

LAKELAND, Fla. — Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (2-5) vs. Detroit Tigers, exhibition

Starters: RHP Jeanmar Gomez vs. LHP Drew Smyly

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: Joker Marchant Stadium

Radio: 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live box score.

Here is the TribLIVE’s Pirates page. I’m on the scene.

Here is some of my talk yesterday with Gaby Sanchez

And here is the visitors’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Alex Presley, CF
  3. Russell Martin, DH
  4. Matt Hague, 3B
  5. Travis Snider, RF
  6. Josh Harrison, 2B
  7. Clint Robinson, 1B
  8. Michael McKenry, C
  9. Jordy Mercer, SS

UPDATE 4:43 p.m.: Here’s my news story just filed on some weirdness with Martin that took place after the game. Wouldn’t make too much of it just yet, but …

Comments

1. PetroSteel says:

DK,

I like where the Pirates will be on offense this year. Not just what they have been doing this spring so far. But, the overall talent appears to finally be there on offense.

I think the defense should be pretty good. Not great but not bad.

I am concerned about the pitching. Can we expect AJ to do what he did last year again? I see a small step backwards. Wandy will be a good, not great. But then I see big question makes for the rest of the staff until mid season when Charlie, Cole and FL are ready. But even with them you have to question the initial results. I’m not looking at the overall results so far in the spring with the pitching.

Do you think the Pirates make a trade before coming north? Obviously, we have a number of first basemen and outfielders that might bring some return along with a decent prospect.

You hearing anything on that front?

Lets try to bring back an old tradition, shall we?

Firsties!

3. John Lease says:

So Gabby Sanchez was part of a time honored tradition of trading for guys who are hurt?

Eesh.

Nothing showing up under the Sanchez link. Is that an iPhone phenomenon or are you just screwing with us?

Maybe you were in a hurry to get to the beach and forgot the link. I found the story but from the tease, i wondered if there was additional video conversation.

ummm…

He’s just trying to keep you on your toes, Drew

Flacco: 6 yrs, 120.6 million. I hope the Ravens have to eat that crow!

9. JoeyBats says:

Hoka Hey everyone!

Can’t wait to see how Jeanmar Gomez mows ‘em down today. ;-)
    DK: On a more serious note…have you talked to Charlie Morton and chatted with him about how the rehab is coming? Is he still on track for trying a mid-year return ??

I don’t know what happened! When I posted I was the only one up. Then I was foiled by PetroSteel at some point during the night! Curses!

Just caught up on the chat.

“They need a couple of total $#%^%$ types.”
    - They need MORE $#%^%$ types??? Haven’t you read my posts?

“Promised myself I wouldn’t spend this whole trip bashing Florida”
    - Why not? Go for it. Gotta be right on target. I mean, it must be why no one comes here anymore.

“This is the Internet at some of its worst.”
    - Again, haven’t you read my posts?

“Holiday In Cambodia”
    - I prefer Turtle “Crick”

“Get back to being a lot more annoying”
    - Again, haven’t you read my posts?

I predict that by July, we’ll complain that Tabata is too muscular for baseball.

I’ll leave you with a final thought.

“If hope can spring eternal here, then truly hope is never fully extinguished.”

That’s PetroSteel.

He’s a Foiler.

I was thinking of typing That’s Not My Toe
    but I probably shouldn’t.

14. Pat4PGH says:

Wouldn’t that make him PetroAluminumFoiler?

Probably PetroSteel posted for first time in the new format, and it was waiting for approval. At least that answers the question of when that happens does the new post go up at the original time it was posted.

some baseball links

JAL’s Hemingway’s Whiskey Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Spring Training Tracker

BLOGS and such

5—Pirates Prospects

Prospect Notebook: Looking at a Few 2013 Breakout Candidates

Draft Prospect Watch: Big Days For Bryant And Appel

6 Bucs Dugout

Pirates take on Orioles, Red Sox

7 This Is Getting Old

Roster Watch: Bryan Morris

8 WHYGAVS

When will we see Gerrit Cole in Pittsburgh?

9 Rumbunter

Andrew McCutchen’s Hometown Is Rightfully Proud of Cutch

10 Green Weenie

Boston Bests Bucs 5-2

Orioles Bomb J-Mac In 6-5 Win

“Hemingway’s Whiskey” by Kenny Chesney 2010 Chesney’s 14th album has been certified Platinum. This is the title song from the album.

At least. That question had kept me up at night.

Now THAT’S a post.

Saw that one coming a mile away.

22. John Lease says:

I was VERY happy they paid top dollar.

Enjoy Flacco Balmer.

The more the better.

Charlie gave an interview this week. Sounded like he was pleased with how he was progressing. I believe he expected to face hitters this coming week.

DK: Yes, he will.

25. PetroSteel says:

I would appreciate it if no one makes fun of my name (Pat4PGH and others in the past)…I was named after my late mother. That was her first name too. Let me tell you,…that women was as tough as nails, but she had a little problem with oily skin. So please,..this is a very sensitive area for me…

Go Bucs!

Did Hanrahan pitch last night?

Was listening to a little bit of last night. Got a smile on my face when they said Drew Suttton was playing 3rd for the Sox. Reminded me of that great walk off homer he had last year.

I was also smiling because I knew he wouldn’t be our #1 pinch hitter off the bench this year.

Sanchez and McKenry seem to be locks for the bench, any early thoughts on anyone else?

28. +1

Hope we can get some runs in the top of the first, so we don’t start this game in the hole, too, with Jeanmar on the hill.

Seems like half the games last regular season started with us giving up runs early. Or a bundle in one inning.

But it is Spring Training. (yawn)

Hanrahan did not pitch last night

30. Tabata with his new, muscular body.

I still think Tabata will be on this team. An if Inge shows that he can still hit I would think he has a good shot.

Tabby hasn’t had any appointments at a certain clinic in Miami, has he?

That’s a heartwarming, wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. We would never imply disrespect for your mother.

And interestingly, there is a parallel to my name. You see, I was also named after an important woman in my life. My wife.

Drewella DeVille.

34. JAL’s #18 is a good link on that discussion. He doesn’t mention Dejesus, although Indy is probably where he’s headed. He had a great winter league.

35. His ex-wife probably mailed it to him, like a certain linebacker we all know and love.

Wasn’t she from Miami?

36. Sounds like there’s as much truth to your story as Petro’s.

:P

37. Do Ravens eat crow?

The backup SS battle is one thing I’m wondering about

Russell Martin has that.

40. The guy in the #18 article projects Chase in the minors and Mercer as a utility man that can play short.

Last year when the slide was nearing its end I wished that Mercer would have played more

And Sands is out of options?

Sands has one option left

Sands has one option year left. FYI, Gaby also has options left and so does Harrison and Presley.

Thanks!

Good to see Martin getting some hacks today

Enjoyed the article and video on Gaby. I think he has a good chance to be good and make an impact this year.

I was waiting for him to say to DK “So I hear you weren’t too impressed that I was one of the players that was brought over here at the deadline”.

Seriously DK, how often do players/coaches (in any sport) speak to you -and take issue- about what you have written?

ZING!

::snicker::

If they don’t yet, they will ;)

The Lunatic Asylum’s edition of Dejan’s Fables

53. radio wave says:

Forgive me, what is the history of today starting pitcher? I don’t recognize the name.

Radio,
    My guess is that his history, nor his stuff, are pretty good.

:-)

i’m too lazy to check but here’s my guess.

- tall guy
    - had their eye on for years
    - can’t pitch

56. 6-3, 200

Only gave up 2 in the first on 2 hits and a walk. ERA for the Spring is down to 23.14.

Sounds like a spot-on assessment.

Then. If the following set of circumstances occur (again)…

1. It’s July and the Pirates are in striking distance of a playoff race, and
    2. The Pirates’ third, fourth or fifth starter has two consecutive below average starts, and
    3. Jeanmar, a man in desperate need of a nickname, has two consecutive above average starts in Indy, then…

Exactly 13 of us will demand that they sit “X” down “so we can see what the young guy can do”.

In the midst of a playoff race(!)

Then if they’re crazy enough to do it, we’ll complain that “X” is sulking in the bullpen and demand that he be traded because “he doesn’t want to be here”.

Then if Jeanmar flops, we’ll make snide comments about Neal, Jeanmar and his downward plane.

We don’t even have to watch the season. We know what’s gonna happen.

58. Sounds like another spot-on assessment.

BTW, Jeanmar got through the second unscathed, but just gave up a 2-run dinger to Miggie after walking the leadoff hitter in the third.
    He had his ERA down to 13, but now it’s back up to 19.

But, don’t forget, it’s only Spring Training!

And I think we have our #5 starter.

60. officer mancuso says:

Another perfect fiasco of a game. On the bright side, at my age, routine is comforting.

Drew, I wish you would have said “Spoiler Alert”.

63. Double amen. But, on the bright side, Marte has our first hit.

So far today we’ve had a Foiler and a Spoiler.

Good thing Dan Pastorini isn’t here.

Because, well, you know

And by the way. I think I have his nickname.

867-5309

66. Ain’t no posts on your Dukes thread, Drew.

67. Marte with “both” Pirate hits today through 7. But it’s only Spring Training.

Pitching after Jeanmarred has been flawless. Zagurski, Melancon, Hughes.

68. piratemike says:

Insanity:Repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Jeanmar, they got your number,
    ERA’s over nine.
    Neal, you are Dumb and Dumber,
    8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
    8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)

See? It repeats.

70. officer mancuso says:

Whoa! Saw a Pirate catcher named Paulino in the box score and concluded I had finally lost my mind.

You know, I honestly thought Joggin Ronnie might have been an option this offseason.

Wonder what would have happened if PRNW had stayed at catcher?

72. officer mancuso says:

I think Flacco will serve the Ravens well. His short game is nothing to toot the horn about in terms of completion percentage, but he’s become savvy @ limiting interceptions. His long passing is Bradshaw-like elite. That organization knows what it’s doing, unlike the Pitt football program.

73. officer mancuso says:

You’ll know I’ve succumbed to the temptation to turn right on Might Have Been Lane if my next 7 posts are links to Country & Western songs :-)

Hindsight is an easy thing to do ;-)

75. Dadtackular says:

76. officer mancuso says:

Gaby @ 3b is a sign that the Pirates are preserving weak options should it turn out that Pedro Alvarez is what he’s seemed to be – Il Busto.

I don’t think Gaby at third has anything to do with Pedro. I think it has to do with helping to evaluate bench options.

I have to agree with 21. I think they’re beyond the “Busto” stage with Pedro.

The club will sink or swim with Pedro

Looking for flexibility

Fantasy Leagues

Everyone is welcome
    All Yahoo

League ID – 25547
    Password – 1203
    ID – 25558
    Password – 1203
    ID – 25576
    Password – 1203
    ID – 25595
    Password – 1203

I think pitching will determine if they sink or swim. I agree that they’re looking for flexibility, but not as it relates to Pedro. 30 homeruns and more importantly, 85 RBIs puts him pretty close to where I think he needs to be.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back