On location: Pirates 9, Red Sox 3, exhibition

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (3-7) vs. Boston Red Sox, exhibition

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. LHP Jon Lester

Time: 1:35 p.m.

Site: JetBlue Park

Radio: 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live box score.

Here is the TribLIVE’s Pirates page. I’m on the scene one last time this spring.

And here is today’s lineup for the visitors …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Garrett Jones, 1B
  7. Brandon Inge, DH
  8. Michael McKenry, C
  9. Clint Barmes, SS

UPDATE 4:05 p.m.: Couple questions I had just now for Locke …

Comments

JetBlue Park against the Red Sox. That means Hanrahan will be there.

Over/under until “Do you think the FO did enough at the trade deadline last July?” is asked to Hanny.

I say 2 questions into the interview.

I’m the cranky old guy yelling at everybody for taking spring training performances seriously.

I’m also looking forward to Jeff Locke pitching today, second time in a row against the Sox.

Yes, I’m a hypocrite.

3. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

I’m sure there’s another thread for this, but I’m gonna put here anyways.

DK, very cool written column today, like those different types. Since you asked for our opinions of the lineup and I’m never one to shy away from giving anybody my opinion, here goes.

-I do like the “on paper” lineup you posted, no major arguement there. However, if changes are to be made, and why not, its paper, I’ll give it a shot.

-Put Cutch back at lead off because he’s a true lead off hitter. Ha Ha, just kidding, I have NEVER wanted him batting there and have ALWAYS wanted him in the 3 hole. 3 hole=best hitter and Cutch has been the best hitter since he came up.

-I could see swapping Martin and Snyder. Snyder might be a better contact guy than .211 and Martin has more pop to add to the bottom of the lineup.

-If Tabata beats out Snyder, put him in lead off, Marte to #2. I really like that combination potential. And defensively in PNC Park makes them pretty deadly. Again, potentially, the best combination.

-You’re right, the time is now for Pedro to step up and be “that guy” in the clean up spot. If he doesn’t, put Jones in there. He’s experienced and confident in those situations, something Pedro is not.

-Walker always seems to be the wild card. Other than 5th, I like him at #2 also, but that leaves a huge void in the power situations. NW isn’t a “power” hitter, but is clutch with guys on base. I’ll take a 2 run single from my #5 guy any day.

-Overall, this team still has a lot of “what ifs.” The only guys I’m sold on is Cutch and Walker. I think Jones’ season last year was not typical, however if Gabby gets back to pre 2012 season, the combination could hit 30-40 HRs. Who wouldn’t take that from 1st base?

-Weak spot is in RF. Can’t wait to see what Marte does in a full season. Look forward to Cole’s callup in June/July.

4. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

For guys like Jeff Locke, the stats could be the difference between making the team and not. Can’t buy off on this guy. Not a fan. Hope he changes my mind.

5. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

If, for some reason that question would be asked to Hanny, he would give the politically correct statement and approve of the trade and say how the Pirates are in the right direction. Honestly, don’t care what he has to say about the trade.

6. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

I would also like to see Brandon Inge make the team. Someone mentioned yesterday that Josh Harrison was the only guy on the team that was versitile, but couldn’t play baseball. I agree with that statement, but I think the GM noticed that as well.

Inge is very versitile and has a lot more power than J-Hay, average sucks though, was fun to watch when he went over to Oakland though. Quite the punch.

7. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

way too many “thoughs.” My apologies.

8. Enjoyed ‘em, Ryan.

9. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Why thank you

10. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Thought you said you read every syllable DK…

DK: Really surprised more people haven’t picked up on Jack Johnson’s contract issue. The Penguins flat-out aren’t in a position to add something like that, not with Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang needing to be extended next summer. (sometime after 7:42 pm, 5 March)

Brad, Indiana PA says:I like the idea of adding Jack Johnson. But not for Despres. If Shero trades Despres I’ll be pi$$ed. Send 2 other top D prospects, but not Despres. But then, how do you afford Letang, Martin, Orpik, Johnson and Niskanen? Something big is gona have to give in order to get Johnson- he’s $4mil cap hit. Plus they want to sign Geno.
    Iginla can probably be had for less than Johnson.

All I know for sure is those 2 signings, Malkin and Letang, are gona cause some major changes soon. I could be underestimating how much cap room there will be next year, but as it sits now I think this is the case. (10:51 am, 5 March)

DK: I said “more,” Brad, not no one at all. Your point was noted.

Ah, thats you, Ryan? I missed the name change.

Keep it coming!

12. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

See, I have no problem putting up the posts on DK’s column on this thread whenever hockey one’s are dropped in…LOL.

I know, I know, doesnt matter what the posts are about……

They seemed perfectly willing to give Ryan Suter nearly twice that.

14. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Ryan,

I think it’s because there’s too many threads now and everyone gravitates once a new one is posted- unless it’s Pitt or Duquesne.

Fantasy Leagues

Everyone is welcome

All Yahoo

League ID – 25547

Password – 1203

ID – 25558

Password – 1203

ID – 25576

Password – 1203

ID – 25595

Password – 1203

I read Locke was “nervous” during his last start vs the Bosox, lets hope he grows out of that.

16. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Doh! The bear has been poked! By the way Dejan, happy homecoming to half foot of snow and 40 something degree temperatures. Might need a canoe when you are back.

DK: I’ll be delighted to be home.

17. Brad, Indiana PA says:

True dat. And Parise.

A couple things to remember about adding a big ticket defenseman. They have plenty of cap room this year & you can make back $5 million of cap space next year by either trading or buying out Paul Martin.

19. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I shockingly haven’t really thought much about that. I think the cap is about $64 mil next year so we should see some “interesting dynamics” in the near future (quoth the SEAL).

20. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Yea, I forget my log in whenever my computer drops the information…

21. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Fill a pony on the Fan (no idea how to spell his name) was saying the Bucs should pursue Lohse, but they’re not. I know he’s looking for multiyear big contract, but if he were willing to do a 1 year 10 mil deal, I think they should too. But I doubt Nutthing would pony up for that sort of contract right now.

22. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

I avoid any Pitt or Duquesne threads, I have nothing to add to them.

23. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

I’m in..think I still have the email.

24. DK said yesterday on the show that it’s Scott Boras that’s keeping them away from Lohse.

25. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

The biggest issue of signing Lohse, I believe, is because teams have to give up their #1 draft pick.

I like Lohse, brings a lot, but will cost a lot too.

Mind expanding on that, Lucky? I dind’t hear the show…

27. That was all he and Ken Laird said, if I remember right and there’s no guarantee on that, plus I was listening to it at work.

Ryan’s point below hits it on the head as well.

I like Lohse, but I don’t know if I like him that much. At least he’s not injured at this point, though.

So DK and Laird said that the Pirates don’t want to deal with Scott Boras? Nothing more to it?

Very odd.

That’s one of the things we love about you, NMR, you’re honest, even if you bash yourself lol

30. There probably is more. That’s all my mind processed while working and listening.

I can’t multi-task as good as DK. He’s younger and has more insurance. (Fried Green Tomatoes-Cathy Bates after she smashed those girls’ VW Beetle).

I’ll re-listen to that part and report back.

Is it the PBC doesn’t want to deal with Boras, or Boras does not want to deal with the PBC?

Oh! that Ryan! I wondered where you went to.

33. Probably mutual. I don’t know any GM that ever said they were enamoured with dealing with Boras. And he dislikes everyone. (lawyer)

34. Daquido_Bazzini says:

The biggest issue with Lohse (as DK pointed out on his podcast yesterday) is moolah ala Scott Boras.
    He is still demanding large amounts of it for Lohse.
    Anything of that nature leaves out the Nutting Regime.

As I look at the potential lineup, pitching staff, etc. of the Pirates…..I see a team that has some potential IF they could add a piece or two.
    However, that is “always” out of the question with the dreaded Nutting Regime.
    It’s never time….It’s always good to leave holes that “could have” plugged.
    Save for a future that never arrives…..

Boras never seems to mind the PBC when they pay his clients.

Funny how that works. Almost like this is a business or something.

36. STEVEG says:

Maybe I’m in the minority here but I still believe the Pens don’t need to make a move. Just bringing in a big defenseman and mortgaging your future to get him isn’t going to change a darn thing.They can play pretty good team defense right now when they want to. That’s the key…when they want to. It’s a mindset that should come from the coach and team captain constantly.
    What we need is the constant Mark Messier intimidating mindset!

Other than Pedro, can’t think of anyone else signed by the PBC thats a Boras client?

38. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Wait until negotiations with Pedro start….

39. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

It has been a little while..aweful freakin busy lately.

40. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

I see the back end of the rotation and RF being the biggest issues for this team.

I agree, just not enough there.

Isn’t it time for the Pirates to find their own David Freese type of players?

41. As much as I hate to say it, after listening again to the segment, Daq was right below. DK said Boras wants “3 years and market rate value” for Lohse and that’s too much moolah. They expounded on it a little, but not much.

42. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

I do see the possibility of Garrett Jones taking over RF full time and Gabby Sanchez taking over 1B. With a BIG IF Gabby can return to form. Hoping last year was a fluke.

43. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

It is waayy too much for a 34 year old.

Guess he’ll just sit out this year then.

44. I would welcome that if Jones could hit lefties and Gaby hits at all.

@BIZ – Cole is also a Boras guy.

Bingo.

Just my opinion, but I think the chances of Garret Jones returning to 2010/2011 form are about equal to the chances of Gaby returning to 2010/2011 form.

We’d be really lucky to have them both in top form, and even then Jones is still an automatic out against lefties. You just plain have to platoon him.

47. They mentioned that on the show, too, NMR.

Thanks NMR forgot about that.

49. Brad, Indiana PA says:

So what is the deal with Cole and his arb. years? If he doesn’t come up for a couple months then he is under control a couple years longer?

I understand hockey contracts way more than baseball (i.e. Tyler Kennedy is not earning his salary).

50. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Didn’t realize Lohse was a Boras client. I can see how that might throw a kink in the hose on that one.

How nice of Neal Huntington keeping Garrett Cole in the minors until July so the next General Manager has him for another year. That nameless faceless guy (unless it’s Kim Ng of course) thanks him very much.

JAL would school me on this, but from what I know…

If Cole starts the year in the majors, then it will count as a full season of service time. Each team controls a drafted player for six years worth of MLB service time before they hit free agency, meaning Cole’s last year with the Bucs would be 2018.

If a player spends a certain amount of time in the minors, he can be called up without it counting as a full year of service time, thus extending team control by another season.

This basically means that missing about six weeks of 22 yo rookie Gerrit Cole in 2013 gets the team an entire season of 29 yo veteran Gerrit Cole in 2019.

53. Mike A. says:

I consider myself a pretty devoted baseball fan, and an even more dedicated Pirates fan, but one question/issue I don’t remember ever being raised here is why Andrew McCutchen wasn’t invited for the US team for the WBC. Or was it reported that he wasn’t interested, and I missed it? Could somebody fill me in? If Cutch is as respected nationally as the top CF in the NL, I would think he would have been a “no brainer” for the US squad, right?

No problem, Biz. ’bout the only way you’ll ever see Boras and the Pirates in negotiations.

And thanks for the follow up, Lucky. I know DK has at least a working relationship with Boras so I thought there could be something behind that.

55. Isn’t it June 1st or is it earlier?

One year of service time is 172 days. They just need to send him out for about 2 weeks to get that extra year, 2019. Trying to keep him away from being a “super 2″ is where it gets tricky.

57. I’m kind of glad about it, Mike. Seems like guys come back from that out of whack sometimes. Just MHO, though.

I think the service time cutoff might actually be a bit earlier. I’ve heard six weeks as the standard.

The arbitration clock kicks in around mid June for Super 2 eligiability, which is actually a pretty big deal in this case when you figure theres a good chance Cole will earn over $10m towards the end of his contract.

By the way, I think this is a no brainer.

60. Like Longoria a few years back for the Rays. They sent him out for a couple of weeks after a big spring, then called him up and signed him for 30 mil long term. Something like that.

I should really quit commenting on things that rely on memory and just look them up.

Im surprised Boras is holding out this long for multiple years.

His MO seems to be one year “pillow contracts” for guys who can’t get the offer they want. This is what he did with Edwin Jackson.

There’s no conversation with Google, Lucky. Well, at least I hope not!

63. Mike A. says:

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, Lucky; I just found it strange that it seemed as if he wasn’t even considered, especially after the “breakout” year he had in ’12.

64. Agreed. Even Neal can’t screw this up. He practically invented it.

I just did some quick math Lucky & I come up with April 12th for Cole. That would give him 171 days. I can wait that long.

66. You’re right. I never talk to a doodle. Good to talk to people.

67. I believe even the most ardent Pirate fan, which means most of us, can hang on that long, Milo.

68. Maybe he turned them down.

Just looking at the schedule, only 2 off days in April & those come in the 1st 11 days. They’re going to need 5 starters.

lol

71. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Wow. I think I got a bit of a grasp of it all, but that’s why I asked. That’s some pretty intense number stuff. I’m fine with Cole not coming up until later this year if it keeps him around longer. Seems like a keeper.

What’s a few months when compared to 2 decades? Not that Cole is going to save the team singlehandedly.

Brad, sweetie, you’re such a ray of sunshine :P

73. Brad, Indiana PA says:

We’ll be glad to have you back. Drew will probably miss you, though.

74. Brad, Indiana PA says:

No, no, I wasn’t being sarcastic. Well, not totally. I just meant it’s going to take more than just Cole to right the ship. But Lucky’s right- might as well wait a couple months. Cole does have some really good reviews. I just hope he’s not a pitching Chad Hermansen.

75. Jag7 says:

On a totally different topic…anyone see Marc Staal get pucked in the eye last nite. Sickening. It’s beyond me why these guys don’t wear visors, especially dmen who are more prone to this happening considering their proximity to the goal.

76. TJ says:

Last time I checked they had like 36 between AAA and the majors after taking everyones scraps this off season

77. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I saw the video- it was pretty bad.

78. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

agreed. Something might be wrong with Lohse.

79. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Agree, goes into more of the “what ifs.” Like I said above, the combination at 1B could put up 35-40 HRs. I dont think anybody would complain with that type of production from a platoon unit.

The league says they are & have always been for mandatory visors. The Players Association opposes it. Go figure.

81. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

not exactly when the service time starts all that, but this practice is not uncommon. EVERY team worries about term of service years, its basic economics for baseball. Unfortunetly, that’s how it works.

82. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Agreed. Honestly, what benefit would it be to have him up with the team in April?

Can someone tell me who Jackie Bradley Sr. is ?

(Insert doorbell sound-ding dong)

Door opens and stern but loving woman appears, wiping her hands on a dishcloth.

Blogger: (Timidly) Hello, Mrs. Groat?

Woman: Yes, dear?

Blogger: Can little Groat come out to play?

85. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

there’s gotta be more to it than that…but I have no idea.

86. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Senior or Junior?

Junior was a stud at U. of South Carolina.

I didn’t see it, but thinking about it makes me ill…

Anything for you, Spunky :)

90. Jag7 says:

These young guys have to wear some sort of covering all thru juniors, so in theory they should be used to it when they get to the NHL. No surpirse about the union, those things suck. They don’t protect their members, only look out for the big guys at top.

One thing about the extra year of control, if he turns out to be an ace, do you think the PBC will be able to afford him?

Just sayin

My point is that we shouldn’t have to refer to him as Jr. if nobody can tell me who Sr. is.

Looks like a decent start for Locke, 2 2/3 and only 1 hit

Of course, you don’t know who is in the line-up for the BoSox

95. Now if I was Drew, I’d say something ornery there, but I have too much respect for Mother T.

:P

Maybe Drew will come around later and add to it as only he can.

Ba-Da-BOOM!

Looks like they’re missing Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Drew, Pedroia, Victorino, and Napoli.

So yeah…

See, SPunky? I set you up and you pass…you’re as bad as Sid :P

99. 3 former Bucs and 2 were on that last inning.

ha! I was gonna say something about Doodles…but I’ll PASS that to Drew ;)

101. Mike A. says:

Yes. Thanks, Jandy. Don’t know why this wasn’t more of a headline in the local media.

102. Mike A. says:

It was not pretty.

103. Now if I was only as young and talented, and wealthy, it would be OK.

I jinxed him, 1 – 1 now

105. Lord, I need to watch what I say.

@Biz – Fair question, and why I think they’ll keep him down until they’re sure he won’t be Super 2. If the team can’t afford one year of expensive arbitration then they should just quit now.

Stinks.

Ciriaco with the 2-out single followed by stolen base and a double by Gomes to plate the run.

If that isn’t Jeff Locke in a nutshell, I don’t know what is.

Jeff Locke in a nutshell is 3 homeruns in 5 plus innings.

110. Pat4PGH says:

Nobody cares about the WBC except the Budman!

My concern was Martin playing out of position and getting hurt before PBC told us he has a shoulder injury….other than that, the WBC is a non-event UNLESS one of your faves gets hurt.

3 homeruns in the 5th inning after throwing four scoreless.

112. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

yea he beat the AAA team….which makes sense for him.

113. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Exactly..he’s soft. Hope he doesn’t get sent north.

lol…don’t underestimate yourself, Spunkster ;)

Mike, it’s amazing wht ISN’T in print…and some of the garbage that IS.

nah….we’re friends here, SPunky lol

117. John Lease says:

As long as Locke throws on a downward plane, all is well.

118. It’s not me, it’s that guy in the mirror.

Dominicans no-hitting the Yankees through six.

Yes, just an exhibition, but always employable to see NY flail.

Jose Veras has one hitless inning. Had they just stood there, he would have walked them eventually.

36 hits so far in two games for DR.

You don’t walk off the island.

122. JRay3 says:

Jose Tabata with an RBI double as Bucs go up 6-1. He is hitting .357 to start spring, what a difference to the makeup of this club if we see a hungry play to potential Tabata.

At least he is giving signs to the club that Snider will have to earn a starting spot over him.

I remember seeing it at the time. Didn’t see it as a big deal. But then I don’t care about WBC.

There is definitely a pattern with him.

125. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

You do realize that many baseball people use that term and not just Neal Huntington?

Jonathan Sanchez ? Nevermind.

127. Patrick says:

The irony being that it was a NY players shot that ended the career of Philadelphias Chris Pronger when he took a puck to the eye.

It really is just beyond stupid they dont have visors. I dont want to hear any of that stupid, “tough-guy” nonsense or “what about the fighters?”. I dont care about Don Cherry or any of their “Code of Hockey” BS.

He took a puck IN THE EYE!! THE EYE!!

128. Thought Sanchez might have a good inning, but he only got 2 outs. 1 run, 1 hit, 2 walks. Seems AAA might be his starting point, as Laird said on DK’s show.

He should be released. Today.

I won’t hold it against Dejan that he was his pick for the 5th spot in the rotation. :)

I’ve always believed those things are decided way before the equipment truck pulls out of Pittsburgh. The guy that started today is the 5th starter regardless of how he performs in Florida.

132. I agree. It was 2 hits, not 1 anyway.

Yup.

If the team thinks McPherson is legit, then I guess it makes sense to apply the service time discussion we had about Cole to him as well.

It’s not gonna kill the kid to get a couple starts in Indy, either.

Save this box score, folks.

Clint Barmes and Starling Marte have drawn a walk.

IN THE SAME GAME.

Only the Canadians do, apparently.

Poor Justin Morneau and his civic duty.

136. JHadar says:

9-2 — I don’t care, I would much rather win a meaningless game than lose a meaningless game.

I would also rather see Alvarez hitting a few meaningless home runs.

But that’s just me.

137. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Nice to see him come in with the right attitude this spring, he’s going to make the decision very difficult. I haven’t heard a thing about what Snyder has done, but you don’t win a job off of ST stats.

Question: who was the pitcher for that double?

138. Iceman says:

Pens just lost another player through waivers. TK was picked up by New Jersey.

(Don’t get too excited Brad, Tom Kostopoulos not Tyler Kennedy)

139. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

McP was already called up..Super 2 status shouldn’t affect him.

140. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Its a shame too, I watched that guy in 2010 with the Giants and he was very good. Great stuff but his control has always been in question.

141. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Marte’s been working on that…good thing to see

142. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

disagree…..

143. JHadar says:

Carlos Paulino? — any relation to Ronny?

144. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Love Cutch, but he’s still chasing (not far behind) Matt Kemp as the best CFer in the NL.

145. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

let’s hope not

I don’t think a September call up starts one’s service time.

Baseball Reference has McP’s clock at zero.

Unfortunately, it was Steven Wright, Boston’s knuckleball experiment.

The Bucs did put up four runs on Jon Lester and Ruby De La Rosa, though.

Ornery? Whatever do you mean?

Why, I’m just a harmless little ray of sunshine.

(I’d have said “…little naked ray…” but that’s not true. I’m at work. Just topless.)

149. Ghost says:

Continuation of this morning’s discussion:
    Said it then, will say it again — I think Tabata and Snider should platoon, with each remaining in his game to see how he hits against pitching changes (ie. Tabata against righties), and go from there. But Huntington is out to prove to the world he was right in trading for Travis Snider instead of going out and getting the team a real bat when they needed one last summer. That Huntington also traded for Tabata back in, what?, ’08 was it? is something only NMR would consider a valid counterpoint in 2013. Travis Snider may or may not shape up to be a good player. Let’s hope he does for his own sake, because he’s about to get the Andy LaRoche “sink or keep sinking” treatment by Huntington.

150. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

It might end up being a platoon situation. I wouldn’t rule it out.

151. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Interesting..I was thinking he came up before September, but that’s what I get for thinking.

152. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Doh!

153. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

That looks good. Unless Lester breaks out the AJ Burnett excuse of only working fastballs.

154. Ghost says:

Would like to see it. What would they have to lose?

By the way, you’ve probably answered this before but, where in NorCal? I went to Napa High and Cal.

That would mean they would have to correctly identify talent, and develop it.
    This FO has not been good at that.

156. officer mancuso says:

A juggernaut in the making. Conquering Spain for practice, then Boston for dessert! I’m getting mightily curious to see how the first month of the real season goes, bearing in mind DK’s radio observation that given the 2013 schedule, a rough start may be more of a risk than a second half jackrabbit’s collapse.

157. officer mancuso says:

You have clearly stated the spring training conundum.

158. officer mancuso says:

I listened to the AJ podcast but took a pass on.the lineup column. Verbiage equivalent to 13 billion nuclear weapons has been fruitlessly spent finding fault with lineups built by professional baseball men, and the difference between a manager who can wake a slumbering Bautista and one who can not is infinitely wider than the difference between one who bats Walker 5th and one who slots him elsewhere.

159. Daquido_Bazzini says:

True…..Bu why worry about identifying talent, when you have no plans to pay it?
    Such is life with the Nutting Regime…..

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back