Final: Orioles 6, Pirates 3, exhibition

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (4-8) vs. Baltimore Orioles, exhibition

Starters: RHP Kyle McPherson vs. LHP Wei-Yin Chen

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: McKechnie Field, Bradenton, Fla.

Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live box score.

Here is the TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Karen Price is covering.

Also, with the release today of the Pirates’ 2013 media guide comes the obligatory sifting through all of the franchise’s minority partners, the only time it’s made public who actually is in ownership. Not that it matters much anymore. Bob Nutting controls more than three-quarters of the team himself and has total say as chairman of the board.

Anyway, the full list of Limited Partners beyond Bob Nutting is as follows, in no particular order: Bill Nutting, G. Ogden Nutting, Bruce Adams, Dennis Adams, William Allen, Donald Beaver, Frank Brenner, Michael Brenner, Robert Brooks, Dennis Heindl, James Johnson, Thomas Johnson, Jr., Mary Means and the CBS Corporation.

Looking at last year’s guide, the only difference I see is that Jay. H. Lustig is gone.

Comments

Holy Crap, a night game.

I wonder if they’ll even be able to play it now that Consol Dejan is back on hockey.

Double crap. I think that’s my dentist pitching for Baltimore.

3. gregenstein says:

“Anyway, the list beyond Bob Nutting: Bill Nutting, G. Ogden Nutting, Bruce Adams, Dennis Adams, William Allen, Donald Beaver, Frank Brenner, Michael Brenner, Robert Brooks, Dennis Heindl, James Johnson, Thomas Johnson, Jr., Mary Means and the CBS Corporation.”
    ——————————–
    The true evil empire of baseball (at least according some). CBS corporation, eh? Now folks can’t even watch “The Big Bang Theory” without supporting this “farce.” HAHA!!!

Chairman of the Board gives him total say? Being Principal Owner gives him control of day to day operations but anything that has to be voted upon by the Board would be based on the number of votes he has on the Board, and maybe he has a majority there.

DK: He’s got them all, essentially. The Board itself, to my knowledge, is all Nutting and family. And he has more than one vote himself, if memory serves.

If he owns 3/4 of the franchise, doesn’t that mean he controls 3/4 or more of the vote? (Not sure if there may be owners that don’t have the rights to vote)

But most days, I’m not too sure about anything, anymore

Voting rights on a board don’t always follow economic interest. They might here. Anyways, I thought he has had board control for a while basically, with board votes maintained by Bob, family members, and the Ogden Newspapers CFO who does own any of the team.

doesn’t own any of the team.

Is Duane Wittman still on the board DK?

DK: There’s no longer a listing for the board.

Don Beaver was listed as a board member in 2007.

10. Dom says:

11. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

-Absolutely love this quote from DK’s column today.

“We’re letting Starling be who he is,” Hurdle said. “We do want to see better strike-zone awareness. But when he swings, we want him doing it with bad intentions.”

-Bad intentions….I like it.

BTW, Marte is my “pick to click.”

12. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

-Whoa, thought I typed something else there for moment…

If my memory serves they go back to the days of the consortium when Westinghouse was an owner and their CEO Doug Danforth was the Pirates chairman.

14. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

-Also, you’re absolutely right about sending him to AAA until June. I see no good coming from him making the team out of ST. Pointless to me really.

I wonder if that is the same Donny Beaver that owns the Spring Ridge Club in Central PA.

This jack*ss has been buying the rights to prime stretches of trout streams, most of which are on some of the last naturally reproducing fisheries in the state, and posting them as private property for members only. Members that can afford a $90,000 entrance fee.

He then overpopulates the water with ungodly large hatchery raised trout that out compete the native fish and polute stretches downstream.

On top of it all, he does this in the name of “conservation”.

Still plenty of time for you to digest your 4PM dinner

I have been waiting all Winter for McPherson vs. Chen

Keith Law hasn’t been kind to Starling this winter. He said in his chat yesterday that his OBP skills were so bad that he wouldn’t produce enough to be an everyday player.

I like reading Keith and respect his opinion since he’s actually been good enough to work in a Major League organization before, but I think he overplays his hand for effect sometimes.

He also said in yesterday’s chat that Tony Sanchez wasn’t good enough defensively to even be a Major League backup. I can’t remember ever reading a scouting report that questioned his defense.

19. Daquido_Bazzini says:

It’s completely unbelievable how the Nutting’s have wormed their way into this hellaciously powerful position since latter 1996. What started with a (roughly) million dollar investment by G. Ogden, now has turned into a power house of a bonanza run by the dreaded Bob Nutting.
    People wonder how scheister’s tend to take over business, government etc., but we’ve seen it first hand with the Pirates in the past 17 years.
    I just don’t ever see the Pirates being anything significant again until (somehow someway) the Nutting Regime is dissolved.
    In my opinion….They have no interest in baseball (not to mention Pirate fans), and they only thrive on getting their hands on almighty dollar bill…..Endlessly.

20. JHadar says:

If the dentist was pitching the game would have started at 2:30.

(Tooth hurty)

+ 1

Fantasy Leagues

Everyone is welcome
    All Yahoo

League ID – 25547
    Password – 1203
    ID – 25558
    Password – 1203
    ID – 25576
    Password – 1203
    ID – 25595
    Password – 1203

Hey, sign up, you can be a Nuttin too ;-)

23. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

-No, Sanchez has always been rated very highly for his defensive skills. I agree with you on reading Law’s stuff, but he can’t be right all the time.

-Its a known fact that Marte is a free swinger, we all knew that as he was coming up, however this was something he supposedly was working on. Let’s see how it plays out. I expect decent things from him this year and expect him to be at Cutch’s level in about 3 years. High expectations, I know.

“but I think he overplays his hand for effect”

What a journalist???? Never.

25. Ghost says:

“What started with a (roughly) million dollar investment by G. Ogden…”
    And they’ve prioritized paying down their debt instead of plowing the revenue sharing welfare they receive back into payroll. The Nuttings have played the OPM (Other People’s Money) game like maestros. The fans and the taxpayers who are paying off PNC Park have been made into patsies. Just watch: Burnett won’t be re-upped; we only have him because the Yankees are paying. Legend will be dealt. Cutch and Walker too, before their years of control are gone.

26. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

-AJ not being resigned is really a concern?

From the end of 2006 to 2009, debt increased $21 million. No financials are available after 2009.

Yup, you are right

Caliguiri and then Mcclatchey stepped to the plate

We still have our Bucs and PNC

Don’t know how you can upgrade PNC, unless you blow up that dam sign

Bonifay lead the designing, from a PBC perspective

29. Ghost says:

I’m talking about the whole span of time since the Nuttings came onto the scene. Trading away Aramis Ramirez in ’03 because the Nuttings wouldn’t sell a few shares in order to get the supposed MLB-required debt ratio in line still sticks in my craw. (Besides, I doubt MLB would have really forced action if the Pirates had asked for more time. They just didn’t want to pay.) It also sticks in my craw that Bob said he hopes his daughters can one day live off the Pirates. Murray Chase has reported on some inside figures given to him. We can go on.
    The Nuttings view the Pirates as their family cash cow, the fans be damned.

30. kr70 says:

“No way Pirates should keep Cole” Jeez Dejan when I read the headline I thought’ he wants to trade him to the Yankees while his value is high. I agree bring him up in June. We play a murderess schedule in April anyway. No use in scaring the kid to death (though it sounds like he doesn’t scare easy) Give the older guys a chance to shake out. Wouldn’t it be dreaming that we don’t need him! (yeah I know, I promise I’m not on crack) Bring on the birds, Hope Steve is talking Orioles, Bucs world series. Beat’em bucs

Yeah, you are right, a trade like that, after we signed him, still bothers me a great deal.

Same with the Bay trade, 7 1/2 minutes that changed the franchise

And not for the better

I know, I know, deal with today

Just sayin

I hope JBay kicks the crap out of the AL West

Hoka Hey, My Brother

33. Ghost says:

JBay — how true. Another one.
    “I know, I know, deal with today.
    Yes, that’s all we can do. Which brings me back to the idea that it’s probably better to bring up Cole sooner than later. The time is NOW, with Nutting and his minions still in charge of the future.

A slow day and night, lets go fishing for new lunatics

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post
    PS, IMO all places are part of the Burgh, as you are there
    It’s that “Family” thing

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tygnsboro
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??)
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

317 locations represented in the blog,
    Honorary members, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference
    Beano
    Lemonade Guy
    The Gunner
    Mr Roberto Clemente
    Mike Lange
    Myron Cope
    The Honorable Mayor Richard Caliguiri
    Kevin Mcclachety
    Mike Emerick
    Commander Hadfield, courtesy of the Space Station
    Fred Rogers
    Wilver Dornell Stargell, No 8
    Maz
    13 countries
    44 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 6 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Hawaii, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma

Its all in fun, and nominating folks for Honorably members is most welcome

Ghost, how would Nutting selling shares affect the debt ratio? Anyways, that wasn’t my understanding of what happened.

36. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc says:

Not for Cole its not….Bring him up, save his time April/May won’t win you a pennant.

I have an idea. Let’s talk about the merits of Bob Nutting’s ownership until game time.

Just for something completely different.

38. Ghost says:

To raise cash. I believe the ratio is debt to cash. Nutting Hostage, wherever he is, used to have this argument down cold.

39. Daquido_Bazzini says:

The subject of the Nutting Regime will never be out of place when it comes to Pirate baseball. It rules every aspect in a tight, iron-fisted head lock.

40. Ghost says:

NorCal,
    I’m not sure I understand your post. But if it concerns Cole’s development, I’ve already stated that if he has something to gain by starting the season in Indy, then so be it. If he is ready now, the priority for the Pirates in 2013 should be 2013. And if Cole IS ready, “April/May won’t win you a pennant” is just untrue. Wins from April and May count as much as the rest when tallied on the final day.

41. TJ says:

The many failures of the Nutting regime are only magnified by the fact that the Pirates reside in a city with owners like Mario Lemieux and the Rooneys. Nutting is essentially the runt of the litter.

42. TJ says:

Just looking at the list of Honorary Members; was curious about why the Chief; Art Rooney isn’t on the list.

Lets face it; since the run of 4 superbowls this team has been the heart and soul of this city. How often do you see a sports team shape its roster to the mentality of its fans?

Its not often you hear of a man winning a couple grand at the race track and taking that and turning it into one of the most popular franchises in all of sports.

I’d like to make the Chief and honorary member.

43. TJ says:

Dom says at 4:15pm:

“The CBS corporation owns the Pirates? Now, I’m going to be thinking about that every time I watch the Big Bang Theory.”

My response is simple: CBS knows how to invest in a good comedy when they see it

No. The ratio was debt to equity. And he does not understand the issues.

Btw, they no longer use that ratio but have gone to an EBITDA approach.

I love the Chief. But if we are going to look at history factually rather than romantically…

The Ancient Steelers under Art were the closer to Modern Pirates.

The four 70s Super Bowls occurred after Art ceded most of the day to day control to Dan. Dan selected Chuck Noll, not Art. Art wasn’t cheap. He was, unfortunately, constitutionally unable to hire successful coaches. And in misplaced loyalty but a sign of strong character, often stuck with his hires too long.

Wonderful man. Kept football in Pittsburgh during difficult early years. And to be factual, oversaw the Steelers through 40 playoff-less years.

I’m not trying to be disrespectful. Just factual.

Those early playoff and Super Bowl years were on Dan’s watch.

Again, for factuality. The gambling winnings story is also a myth.

I look at it this way. Many of the early stories around George Washinton and Abe Lincoln were also myths. Doesn’t take away from their greatness to tell the truth.

My point is NOT disagreement.

My point is boredom.

” The gambling winnings story is also a myth.”

I suppose next you’re going to tell me that Billy Idol wasn’t really Eddie Muenster.

48. officer mancuso says:

The Android friendliest live box score I’ve found: http://m.mlb.com/pit/2013_03_08_balmlb_pitmlb_1/

For the record, I still think Pedro is the very definition of a disastrous #1 draft pick.

49. officer mancuso says:

As one who majored in history at Pitt and escaped with a useless magna cum laude degree, I approve of this post.

50. radio wave says:

My question to those of you with television, is it a generous strike zone?

51. TJ says:

So we have Commander Hadfield but not the Chief?

Say what you want about history vs romance; bottom line Pittsburgh isn’t what it is today without the Steelers.

52. officer mancuso says:

The “city of champions” moniker comes from a time when a long horrible Pitt football program and perennial losing Steeler team caught up with a consistently contending Pirates team.

“since he’s actually been good enough to work in a Major League organization before”

So does Kyle Stark

54. officer mancuso says:

Every time I see the name “Betamit” in a box score, I remember former Pirate Dick Stuart.

I’ve heard that record before

56. officer mancuso says:

Us geezers have a tendency to repeat the few things that late in life are still crystal clear. If Pedro proves me wrong I’ ll be delighted and will apologize. I don’t expect to need to.

“It also sticks in my craw that Bob said he hopes his daughters can one day live off the Pirates.”

He said he wants his daughter to run the team. He has the right to pass his shares to them.

Of course we can hope they get themselves some rich husbands.

And I would be skeptical of those “inside figures” Chase has.

I agree with that sentiment. And that’s why I think Art was great.

But what does that have to do with what I posted? I never said he wasn’t great. I simply posted the facts about the franchise’s record under Art’s direct control.

In a very odd twist, Art Rooney was a great owner, a great man, the man who kept football in Pittsburgh, and, from purely a W-L perspective, an ineffective owner.

That is past weird to read that today. True, though.

I don’t see how 30 home runs and 85 RBIs on a team that has problems getting on base would put him in disastrous No. 1 draft pick territory.

61. Jason81 says:

Greg Brown says the front office got the idea for the Tiki Bar in RF from the Phillies. Apparently “Phillies” is a code word for “Frank Coonelly.”

62. officer mancuso says:

Well, his K rate and batting average could drive a person to ask, “Who else was available in that year’s draft”, and “how are #1 picks from the previous and succeeding year performing?”

Zakurski looks like he should be on a softball team

I don’t understand that response.

He may not have been as productive or consistent as we wanted or expected from a #1 pick. But I don’t think he is a bust or a disastrous pick

66. John Lease says:

Frank Coonelly knows a thing or two about bars.

Baseball, not so much.

67. officer mancuso says:

Slugging third basemen who top out at .250 30 HR are notmaterial for the #1 pik.

What if they’re in the neighborhood of 100 RBIs?

69. officer mancuso says:

True.

“We think he is going to bounce back”

I hate when I hear NH say that

And he says it way too often

Btw Officer, who didn’t have Pedro coming out of college as a consensus top 5 pick in the first round?

72. Jason81 says:

We really are getting too much material from Greg Brown tonight.

“Morris is the last piece from the blockbuster Jason Bay trade.”

Ummmmm…remove “block” and “er” from that statement, please.

Greg Maddux is the US pitching coach? Is Mad Dog angling for a ML assignment?

74. Ghost says:

Nutting Hostage understood the issues well; I’m the one who is hazy on what his arguments used to be. It may have been the Nuttings should sold a small stake in one of their other interests to bide time with the MLB during that rough patch in ’03. Regardless, I find it hard to believe baseball truly put a gun to the Pirates’ head and forced them to shed salaries. The Pirates do that on their own anyway.

75. Ghost says:

“He said he wants his daughter to run the team.”
    No, that isn’t what he said. If, in fact, he is raising his daughters to be active and competent owners (something for which he is poorly qualified), maybe some day things will be better in Pirateland. But what Nutting actually said was that he would “absolutely not” sell the Pirates to Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle because the plan is for the Nutting family to retain ownership of the Pirates across multiple generations, including that of his three daughters.
    As for Chass, I believe him before I believe Nutting and Coonelly.

76. Ghost says:

I think he already is part of his brother’s team with the Rangers. But maybe he wants his own gig elsewhere?…

Oh he didn’t come close to understanding the issues. In fact, he stole a lot of stuff from me and posted it on different web sites as his own. Other stuff he just made up.

I analyzed the financials statements that were leaked and DK used this on his old blog. Any questions in have on the financial situation through 2009, I’ll be happy to answer.

78. Ghost says:

Well it sounds like you and Hostage had some issues between yourselves and the leaked documents, none of which is really my concern. What I want to know is a) what else could ownership have done in 2003 to have tweaked their supposed ratio to get it “in line,” and b) just what would the MLB have done if the Pirates asked them for more time? Cannot believe the league would have said “you HAVE to cast off some of your best players RIGHT NOW.”
    Won’t be back until late tonight, but will be sure to check this thread.

They could have raised additional capital which, as I understand it, they tried to do, but that was met with resistance from the minority partners who would have had their ownership interests diluted.

The loan Nutting made in 2003 for $20 million was a good deal, especially for the minority partners. The problem is that the organization was obviously mismanaged financially from 1996 to 2003. And then again until around 2007.

As far as asking the league for more time, that wasn’t the issue. The issue was with their banks. They ran out of credit which was reported by the AP and confirmed by the leaked documents.

80. kevnj says:

never played fantasy baseball before but if Nutting can do I am confident I can too. Thanks for setting this up

81. Ghost says:

“As far as asking the league for more time, that wasn’t the issue.” So the banks wouldn’t extend further credit. Still, was it not the MLB imposed debt ratio that was invoked and which specifically triggered the ’03 Ramirez and Lofton trade? I mean, the ratio rule is what everybody then, and now (including you and I) have been citing. Why, if there is no cause and effect? Not trying to be cute. Genuinely confused.