Final: Penguins 5, Maple Leafs 4, shootout

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (16-8) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (15-10)

Time: 7:08 p.m.

Site: Air Canada Centre, Toronto

TV, radio: Root Sports, NHL Network (national), WXDX-FM 105.9

Here is the official live box score.

Here is TribLIVE’s Penguins page. Rob Rossi is on the scene. Here’s Rob’s online-only recap of the Penguins’ morning skate today.

Comments

The Battle For The Center Of The Hockey Universe

Back to back, in fact

3. Should be dubbed “The Mecca Match”

Thank goodness we won’t be in Winnipeg’s division next season

5. MadTurk says:

Is it game time next? I get to watch tonight and tomorrow with the little women by my side. Now I don’t have to yelled or fist bump alone.

6. Eric Bowser says:

Bud Selig’s joke called World Baseball Classic had a hockey game breakout…

Mexico and Canada dropped the gloves and bats and started throwing punches.

This whole thing (WBC) is a joke… if you are not born or raised in said country, then you shouldn’t be playing for them. Ticks me off that someone born and raise in the US is willing to wear anything other than USA.

7. Eric Bowser says:

Let me get this right… media asks Bylsma who is going to play tonight on defense and in practice, it is clear that Eaton-Bortuzzo were the extra pairing.. yet no one felt the need to ask why the better positional defenseman (Eaton) is scratched when Bylsma said the Leafs have good team speed?

Bylsma’s love for Engelland is so misplaced, it is a joke.

Come playoff time, Bylsma barely plays his 6th defenseman and puts too much on his top four.

Someone, please, tell me how that makes sense. It hasn’t worked for three years, it won’t work again either.

8. Eric Bowser says:

1-0 Pens… faceoff win, Neal shoots low and scores…

9. Eric Bowser says:

1-1

passive PK strikes again

double :)

11. J Walter Weatherman says:

What value is Tanner Glass providing to this team? PK is supposed to be his specialty, but PK unit is much worse with him on it.

I wish they wouldn’t fritter away their PP

Eric, I just saw your post from later Friday and I have to say, you brought tears to my eyes. I am thankful for prayers answered for Kristin and for you. May God watch over Kristen always and shield her from this cancer. Hugz!

GOAL!

And another!

16. Eric Bowser says:

2-1 Pens on goal by Crosby on a crazy bouncing puck up the ice.

3-1 Pens on sick backhand no look pass from Malkin to Martin, Bennett gets the goal.

17. Eric Bowser says:

Glass is an empty sweater right now but he’s not the problem on the PK as he’s only getting 1:34 SH TOI per game.

These are the top 4 forwards on the PK
    Adams – 2:59
    Cooke – 2:42
    Dupuis – 2:10
    Sutter – 2:01

18. Eric Bowser says:

Thank you, really means a lot to our family.

In here, you ARE family :)

20. Give her a Stargell star!

We are fam-a-lee! I can see people dancing on the dugout at Three Rivers now. Just like ’79.

Stars for Jandy and Kristin.

Hey Spunky, that was great news from Eric I must say :)

22. Sure was. The power of prayer.

23. I know this is a hockey night but my memory is eluding me again. What was that lunacy the Pirates were doing with their hands last year called?

I can’t remember because is was so irrelevant down the stretch with those 16 wins.

I’ll take Stargell stars any day.

let’s hope their relevant down the stretch this season

sorry they’re

amen!

27. Thanks. Couldn’t remember that, the movie, the actor or anything.

28. No goals in the second period so far after 4 in the first? Guess both pitchers have settled down.

Whoops, wrong sport again. ;)

29. Sorry, my clock updated, but not the score. It still said 3-1, now it says 4-3.

30. Eric Bowser says:

4-3 lead after two periods…

Not sure how a second line winger like Bennett goes the last 3:37 of 2nd period without a shift. Great way to develop Bennett….

I have a Z shirt lol

32. RBilak says:

As the season continues the emergence of the greatest needs of this team is a penalty killer. They may need to start looking at dressing 7 D and using Eaton to play in key defensive situations. Using Sid or Geno on line 4 at least makes them somewhat productive. Not impressed with Tanner Glass at all. Between him and Kennedy, there is room for much improvement.

The rookies are looking awesome, Bennett has great hockey sense, Similar to how I felt about Staal first time I saw him. Simon is the 3rd best D on the team, only behind Martin and Letang, he is better than Orpik. Youth needs served on this team, not vets not getting it done.

yeah bing bang boom! lol

34. I still wouldn’t have remembered even if I had a shirt.

lol

we need to score on this PP

37. Sarah says:

Eric, I was catching up last couple days and realized I missed your post about Kristen….sorry to hear what you’ve all been through and thank heavens the news was good!
    Yes life throws us curves or fastballs now and then – sounds like Kristen hit this one out of the park!
    Wonderful news indeed.

dang, overtime

39. Sarah says:

Are these NHL defenseman? They back in like beer leaguers. Incredible….

40. Eric Bowser says:

Thank goodness for Crosby….

Get the points and move on….

42. Eric Bowser says:

This kind of hockey will not go far in the playoffs… just won’t.

43. Sarah says:

Goals last few games? 6-5, 6-4, 7-6, 5-4 , 5-4….won’t wash in May.

Big boxing fan…it’s not often you see something incredibly stupid be played out in front of you on television in the sports world. That’s exactly what is going to happen on HBO tonight when 48 year old(!) Bernard Hopkins fights Tavoris “Thunder” Cloud in a few minutes. Cloud is 17 years Hopkins’ younger. I am 46 years old and I don’t care what kind of shape you are in, and Hopkins is in good shape, there is no way a man that age should be in the ring. The possibility of something genuinely tragic happening is very possible with this fight. I hope not because I loved to see Hopkins fight in his prime.

In the under card, a tough middle age Slovenian with the first name Dejan (Jan Zavek) is similarly fighting a younger man. He’s only 5′ 7″. I thought all those Balkan types were tall.

No wonder everybody has been trashing the WBC.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back