Final: Twins 5, Pirates 4, exhibition

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (4-9) vs. Minnesota Twins, exhibition

Starters: RHP A.J. Burnett vs. RHP Cole De Vries

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: McKechnie Field, Bradenton, Fla.

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live box score.

Here is the TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Karen Price is covering.

Comments

JAL’s Bring Me to Life Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Spring Training Tracker

BLOGS and such

5—Pirates Prospects

Pirates Notebook: Hurdle Believes Marte Could Be a Dynamic Leadoff Hitter

Draft Prospect Watch: Bryant Homers, Wahl Bounces Back

6 Bucs Dugout

Pirates vs. Orioles open thread: Which NRIs have a shot?

7 City of Champions

Gerrit Cole: Why Pirates top prospect should begin year in minors

8 Motor City Bengals

Jason Grilli – Exhibit “A” – Don’t Overpay for a Closer

9 Rumbunter

About That Wandy Rodriguez Pitcher Abuse…

10 Green Weenie

Any Help From The Non-Roster Gang?

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

11 Bradenton Herald

Recap: Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore

12 Rant Sports

Pittsburgh Pirates Finding Better Spot In Lineup For Neil Walker

13 KDKA

Pirates’ Catcher Michael McKenry Digs In For 2013 Season

14 CBC

5 Questions: Canada’s Chris Leroux brings heat to WBC

15 Washington Post

Left-hander Zach Duke has a key role for the Nationals less than a year after being released

16 Wall Street Journal

Designated Mensch

17 Sarasota Herald Tribune

Pirates hope they’ve found their leading man

18 PBC SITE

Inge set to emerge as key piece on Bucs’ bench

Karstens pleased with progress from tendinitis

SPORTS WEBSITES

19 Baseball Prospectus

Rumor Roundup

20 Fangraphs

Vetoed Trades, Part Five

Bring Me to Life Evanescence 2003 Song became popular worldwide after being used on the Daredevil soundtrack. The song can been I many formats as classical singer Katherine Jenkins and John Tesh both covered it.

4. John Lease says:

I wish I were in sunny Gulf Coast Florida

5. Eric Bowser says:

With the good news yesterday, we’re planning a trip to sunny Florida and Disney World in April. It can’t come soon enough.

That’s more than encouraging. Good for her.

Sounds good Eric. So glad you got good news yesterday.

We’re big Disney fans. 2 business trips, one trip when my son was 10, 4 trips with the high school baseball team, and next week is our fourth trip with the college team which is just outside of Disney but we still get down there for a dinner or two.

Sorry I’m late. Slept WAY in this morning.

So. Since yesterday we established that Bob Nutting is the next Art Rooney, on what shall we all agree today?

How about a good Littlefield v. Huntington debate?

10. JoeyBats says:

LOL …time for a new GM !

Remember how bad a coach Belichick was during his first try in Cleveland?

Who knew? Dave Littlefield. Next genius.

12. I’d take your wife’s poodle as a GM before Littlefield, Drew.

Then, I’d select your wife before Huntington as a GM.

(Have to word that carefully).

Select my wife.

Please.

Nice set up Lucky….

So what do you think of this game ?

2013 World Series preview?

(You just HAVE to add the year for this group. Meaning YOU)

I wouldn’t have gone there if Luckity-Spunk hadn’t said “…for GM”.

I wouldn’t do that to Poor Lucky.

Where do we put Nuttins statue

(Somebody hold me back)

19. I can think of a few choice places.

+ 1

Kiner has a statue of his wrists

Nuttin’s could be his wallet

Whew.

I was afraid that somebody would say Sphincter.

Which would be totally inappropriate.

22. stuart66 says:

DK’s link to “the Trib’s Pirate page” goes to a Duquesne site. And Drew and Dejan were in the same place at the same time…

Just sayin

Stuart

23. Pat4PGH says:

Eric,
    Glad to learn about your good news!

Famlly is paramount! This stuff is just for fun and enlightenment…..

It’s a great day for hockey!

+ 1000

First line +1000.

Don’t MAKE me comment on his second line.

27. stuart66 says:

Ah yes Grasshopper, the misdirection move.

Stuart

28. TJ says:

I don’t know if anyone watched the Blackhawks/Avs game last night but man oh man was I impressed by both teams even though the Blackhawks got blasted. They just seem so much faster and more fluid with their passing.

Honestly reminded me of the first finals against the Red Wings where it seemed like every pass was stick to stick.

Still need more lunatics

Fantasy Leagues

Everyone is welcome
    All Yahoo

League ID – 25547
    Password – 1203
    ID – 25558
    Password – 1203
    ID – 25576
    Password – 1203
    ID – 25595
    Password – 1203

Exactly. Also how I ended up married.

31. JD says:

Good tune.

32. JRay3 says:

Eric – just catching up, so happy to hear the positive news, my thoughts to you and your family and a trip I’m sure that will create many memories.

33. JRay3 says:

As an Avs fan, I was confident they could compete with Chicago as they are one of a few teams that can skate and match the Blackhawks speed. Duchene, O’Reilly, Stastny, Landeskog all exciting younger players to watch. Fun game last night.

Have to give Chicago their just due for an amazing run.

34. JRay3 says:

Maybe today Burnett will be able to throw his repertoire and not telegraph his pitches as in his first few starts.

Also game airs tonight on tape delay at 11:00 pm AZ time on MLB Network for those non-local Pirate fans.

James Harrison gone??

released, doesn’t mean they can’t resign him but not likely

37. pattonbb says:

James Harrison wouldn’t be in the top 5 vets to be released if I had a say.

Yovani Gallardo looked impressive against Team USA last night. A monster year from him certainly doesn’t do anything for the Pirates cause, that’s for sure.

The Americans already face a must win situation. lol.

39. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Sing it, Tom Singer.

“Someone, in other words, who would enable Hurdle to ‘manage’.”

So many directions this one could go.

40. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I guess the 16 games over .500 last year didn’t really give him the opportunity.

41. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’m a bit shocked. I know there was buildup to it, but surprised they did it. Not the dominant force he once was, but this team seems to keep subtracting and not adding much of anything. I don’t count William Gay.

42. Eric Bowser says:

Harrison released, he of the 6 mighty sacks and 49 solo tackles…

Now let’s see Colbert continue the change parade by releasing a few more overpaid, over the hill veterans.

43. Brad, Indiana PA says:

“The consistency in his game is really where he needs to improve,” Bylsma said. “But he didn’t come out of the lineup because of inconsistent play. It was just a situation where we went with a more veteran lineup in Philadelphia. It’s a tough building.”

So it really wasn’t a fingernail issue. Freakin inconsistency?! Are you kidding, Disco? You’re saying Orpik, Engelland, Kennedy, Adams and Glass have been consistent? I’m starting to notice a pattern emerging on why no one from our farm system has come up and made an impact since the disco ball dropped on Pittsburgh. That’s about as delusional as Tom Singer’s articles.

44. radio wave says:

Is this the world baseball classic? I only recognize two names in the Twins lineup. Is Drew there?

They were just saying in the tv broadcast how the visitors don’t have to bring many starters on the road

46. J Walter Weatherman says:

Orpik and Kennedy have been consistent. Consistently bad. Your point is well taken though – I see no valid excuse for leaving Despres out of the lineup. When do you start playing him in tough buildings – the playoffs? This is the time to get him that exposure.

Eaton has earned a spot as well, so Engelland should be the odd man out. The Pens need Orpik, so I hope he can play his way out of this funk.

Not there today. My wife announced she wanted to visit the Cocoa Beach condo I use during the work week. So I had to stay in Cocoa. To build some booby traps and a barricade.

Think Home Alone

or Platoon

or Remember the Alamo

28 Days Later

Independence Day

53. Iceman says:

Morning skate had Eaton and Bortuzzo scratched. Can’t believe they would bench Eaton at this point over Engelland. Probably just want to see another Engelland vs. Orr fight.

54. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I’d like to hear Rossi’s theorem on why the Pens haven’t had a successfully developed player since Kris Letang, since there are us morons who see major flaws in Disco. By successful, I mean a player who has contributed significantly in stats and overall play for more than one consecutive year. I don’t think Shero is bad by any stretch, and Disco has his qualities. But I refuse to look at them both through rose-colored glasses.

Putting aside Engelland, who doesn’t fit this category because a) he’s not a legit top 4 D and b) hasn’t shown obvious consistency, there isn’t one. We’ve got 2 young players sort-of playing at the NHL level, barring random scratches and other nonsense. One is apparently trade bait for some inexplicable reason and the other is just now starting to get a taste of his intended role. Either our development is majorly lacking or the coach is blatantly ignoring the obvious in his use of certain players.

Yeah, Shero basically uses prospects to build the pro team. Not a horrible idea in theory, but we’re now seeing a major lack of available, obtainable talent through trade and free agency. The fact that guys like Parise and Suter got $100 million contracts is evidence enough of that. Iginla would likely cost a king’s ransom, and other than that, no one is really being openly shopped. Yeah it’s a short season, but the upcoming offseason isn’t looking much better, especially with the cap drop.

So we aren’t drafting guys to contribute to our team, and the couple that we are more or less depending on to contribute to our team are being used sparingly in favor of “consistency”. What a crock reason. Orpik, Engelland, Kennedy, Adams and Glass have been consistent? On what planet? I’m not saying to cut them all, but don’t feed us b.s. reasons like the young guys aren’t consistent enough.

Simon Despres has more points as a rookie D than Tyler Kennedy and Tanner Glass combined. Hey Disco, it’s hard to build consistency when you play 8 times per month. But by all means, keep the vets in who are more “consistent”. I don’t think Disco should be fired right now, obviously. But if we have another one and done, there should be no other alternative.

I’m thrilled the Pens are doing well. But they’ve done well the past 3 years and get embarrassed in the playoffs. There’ no historical precedent or logical reasoning to suggest that won’t happen again. I don’t buy the urban legend Halak theory. Yeah he played great, but we’ve solved Marty Brodeur before. No reason Halak and Dwayne Rollosson should be all-stars against us. I’d like to eat my words, but right now I don’t think I will.

Sorry to write so much. Disco does that to me.

55. Brad, Indiana PA says:

The Edge

56. Brad, Indiana PA says:

I can believe it. I’m sure Eaton suffered a hair follicle abrasion during practice that will keep him out of the lineup.

57. Paranormal Witness

And my favorite anti-chick flick. Casablanca.

He gives her up and goes off with his buddy to kill nazis.

Ahhhhhhh.

1-0 Pirates top of the fifth.

I guess AJ won’t be an early cut now.

You jinxed him

She found me. Dang GPS.

Sitting on the deck of local haunt Grills at Port Canaveral. Fish Reuben and seafood chowder. Watching the port and the cruise ships. Listening to live music. She bought be a beer. Kona Firerock pale ale.

I guess she can stay.

Kona Firerock pale ale??

Is that like the Florida Iron City?

63. Dave G says:

Just joining in to video of the game. Was out shopping for furniture for the new house.
    2-2 top of sixth.

The new reporter for Root Sports sounds exactly like Dan Potash

65. Dave G says:

Nice little play by JHay to snag a short pop to right.

66. Dave G says:

Mazzaro gives up a run in the top of the 7th and the Twins lead 3-2

67. Dave G says:

Oliver struggles mightily in the ninth for the Bucs. aDefense also goes to pot. Twins now up 5-2 heading to bottom ninth.

68. Dave G says: