Final: Syracuse 62, Pitt 59, Big East Tournament quarterfinal

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to tipoff …

Game: No. 4 seed Pitt (24-7, 12-6 Big East) vs. No. 5 Syracuse (24-8, 11-7)

Time: 2:02 p.m.

Site: Madison Square Garden, New York

TV, radio: ESPN, 93.7 The Fan

Here is Pitt’s official page.

And here is TribLIVE’s Pitt basketball page. Kevin Gorman is on the scene.

Comments

Yes!! It’s here. Took the afternoon off. Four outstanding games at the Garden today. Rooting for the Hoyas right now because Cincy’s unis need to be put to rest. Now.

In light of recent events, I feel the stars might be aligned for a Jesuit Final Four. I’ll go with Creighton, Marquette, Georgetown and Gonzaga.

2. JRay3 says:

Well Pitt certainly got a break being on this side of the bracket. The Panthers have had much success against Syracuse, hope it continues today.

I think the biggest thing to today’s game is both Pitt and Syracuse are #5 seeds in most bracket projections could be the game that decides which team gets a better draw and chance to move up a seed line.

Need a big game from the bigs…hope to see a physical game as I do not believe Syracuse can match up in terms of team strength.

3. Oshkosh b’gosh,

You are my kind of guy!! Back in the ’80′s and 90′s I lived in Philly, then Iowa . . . . but I would take vacation to drive to North Carolina to WATCH the ACC Tournament on TELEVISION! (Before ESPN got into ACC).

There’s nothing like watching ACC and Big East Tournaments on TV. Duke plays tomorrow night at 7:00. I plan to be sick from work next Thursday and Friday for the Big Boy Tournament!

I’ve been out of touch: how’s my boy Redick doing for your guys?

Heyya Groat:

Good to see you again. You were missed.

Redick’s acquisition got Brandon Jennings underwear in a wad and he pouted for awhile. Then Redick was hurt. My Bucks are sputtering right now. I think he added a lot of female fans to the Bucks fold though. Really would love to see the Bucks stop the Heat’s streak tomorrow night. I’m a partial season ticket holder but not going to that one-easily the biggest game at Milwaukee in years. I am going to Chicago to see my brothers and sisters. I have four siblings and they all went to Big Ten schools and my wife went to grad school at Michigan so we are all headed to the Big Ten tournament. I’m the only one assured of seeing my team play because the bros and sisters went to Iowa and Iowa has to win tonight.

I always take next Friday off. Usually put on a few pounds. Just bought an HD TV. Can’t believe I was watching TV all these years in the Dark Ages.

Have always loved the Big East tournament. Best basketball venue in the world with the most knowledgeable basketball fans in the world.

Not a good start for Pitt. 27-15 ‘Cuse at 5 minute mark.

40 – 27 at halftime.

Hope, but you know, expect…..

7. JRay3 says:

Well Pitt has been beat on the boards and they do not have an answer for Southerland and co. as everything Syracuse throws up is going in.

The curse of the double bye.

8. cosmo says:

Adams having a bad day

9. Oshkosh b’gosh,

The Bucks have been a team I rooted for since way back when they obtained Oscar Robertson at the end of his days. And the only team I hate more than the Heat is the Lakers (NBA of course . . . . . no one is hated more than Carolina!!!!!!!!)

I hope you kick their tails!!

Can’t promise I will see much of it, though———you know, college basketball tourneys!

On Wisconsin!!

10. Johnnie Ray III,

There is no curse of the double bye . . . . there is only the curse of playing like crap!!

Pitt within 4 with 8:34 to go. This is March madness!

Ill advised three attempt there.

13. cosmo says:

no reason to shoot that one

Lamar Patterson wants to step up with some aggressive play. Hope it wears off on Adams in the last 5 minutes.

15. cosmo says:

can’t keep letting cuse keep shooting the three ball

16. JRay3 says:

Pitt showing its trademark mettle and grit in the second half, this team will not quit.

17. Pitt cuts it to 4 with 4 to go!!

Keep rebounding!!!

Who cares about Steven Jackson? Get back to Manhatten!

-an

Terrible possession by Pitt. Need a stop here

21. JRay3 says:

WOW!

Yesss!!!! Basket and a foul chance to tie under a minute

23. Rebound! Rebound!! Rebound!!!

Tie it up, Zanna!

Geez louise kids can not hit free throws these days

25. You’re right, Al McGuire!

26. cosmo says:

bad pass

Carter-Williams killed us today. Played a heckuva game

28. COTTEN PICK!!!!! Lost the ball dribbling!

Anybody but Syracuse to win this last tournament!

30. cosmo says:

one and done. hopefully better next weekend.

31. JRay3 says:

The Freshman with a costly turnover, four for the game for Robinson. Missed FT, 11-19 from the line all add up to a tough loss.

Can’t question this team’s heart however.

32. cosmo says:

Does this loss drop Pitt to a 6 seed or 7 seed?

33. Johnnie Ray III,

Heart can’t overcome getting outrebounded (grit) and missed foul shots (gullet).

Lots wrong with this body this year, including no head/leader/clutch guy.

But I still root for them.

34. JRay3 says:

They were closer to a 4 seed than a 6 seed, but 6 may not be out of question….neutral court loss to a Top 20 team won’t hurt too badly.

Probably a 5 or 6 depending on teams around them and their conference tournaments.

35. JRay3 says:

Coming off of a 13th place league finish last year and playing in the CBI I would say this team has overachieved a bit. Robinson and Adams (should he return) both will continue to grow.

We have beat Top 10 teams this year and are going back to the Tournament which is a step back to a prominent position in the college basketball landscape.

Lack of a true scorer does impede this team and it is the one area I wish Jamie Dixon could rectify in his recruiting efforts.

We actually ended up out rebounding Syracuse 33-26 after being -5 to them in first half. Tough to overcome a 13 point deficit, needed better adjustments in first half.

36. Reading says:

Wasn’t able to watch,but reading the posts here makes this appear like a classic post-season Pitt loss: terrible shooting, other team has some guy shoot lights out, huge deficit, comeback by Pitt, and poor foul shooting undermines last-ditch attempt at miracle tie or win. Really tired of that script. How about some March Magic for once?

Need some help from a Lunatic

We had a fantasy baseball draft scheduled for 730 tonight.

Need an even number, but someone dropped out at the last minute

Its an auction draft, you get so much $$ and bid on players

Yahoo League ID 25558

Password is 1203

Name of League – Dejans Lunatics

Thanks

38. Reading says:

I guess the way to look at it is that Big East Tournament is a meaningless sideshow. Pitt always does great with a week off, and no reason to play G-Town again since Pitt already pounded them by 50 or so. Maybe.

39. stuart66 says:

Some thoughts on a tough loss:

Hard to believe that defense lost the game.

Who could have predicted 6 for six from beyond the three.

I think Adams has always been the tallest kid playing, and he has never learned to jump or be very aggressive

Patterson is WAY too passive for most of the game.

What happened to the double post idea?

(constant) Perimeter passing sucks

Pitt must have the lowest shooting percentage in the country within the final three feet from the basket.

Despite the imbalance in the number of fouls, a lot of clutching and grabbing by cuse went unpenalized.

Dante Taylor’s two quick fouls took away his game completely.

Sweet Sixteen is probably the most that can be realistically set as a goal.

Stuart