Final: Yankees 11, Pirates 9, exhibition

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (9-12) vs. New York Yankees, exhibition

Starters: RHP Phil Irwin vs. RHP Ivan Nova

Time: 1:05 p.m.

Site: McKechnie Field, Bradenton, Fla.

Radio: 93.7 The Fan

Here is the official live box score.

Here is the TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the beat.

Comments

WHAT?? After loading up the Pens thread?

Ok.

Good Luck pitching today, Pucknutz.

Thundercrack is in the house.

3. JMB says:

At least Matt Diaz isnt playing…

DK: Not true. He’s turned left-handed and changed his name to Travis Snider.

Seems like no one has stepped up for RF.

5. So much for the calls for Phil Irwin to go north with the Bucs.

Sure there is.

Jones.

Fair point.

Did you hear the 4th line scored?

9. cosmo says:

nice reply

10. Add Zagurski to that.

Thunder cannot be pleased

12. At least he’s seeing some offense now.

13. officer mancuso says:

I hope the 1′st three innings aren’t an omen for the first third of the season. It’s going to take years of therapy to rid my thoughts of that box score, and my health plan’s annual deductible is fives times my life to date earnings.

And health insurance will just get worse

Well said, Ossifer ;-)

15. tom p says:

So why use the DH today?, because of the big crowd, Hurdle figured double digit runs would be needed to make everyone happy?.

This team is terrible, and only the Cub’s will keep this gang , from a last place finish.

Last time i checked, the Pirate over and under RSW’s was 77.

That is truly a gift, from the boys of Las Vegas, and anyone with a 75 or higher I.Q. realizes this team loses closer to 100 games, than 81.

You all are so lucky. I forgot my phone in the car.

I was looking forward to Irwin pitch and he stunk.

And the book in the Bucs that was written last year has been re-release: you can run on the Pirates

The new renovations to the park are great!

If Snider turns into Matt Diaz I am going to be pissed. But from what I saw today with my own eye it could be true.

Thanks a lot DK.

DK: What did you see, TC?

But Snider was a highly rated first round pick

I don’t think Diaz was that?

Gotta go, I think Neal is trying to find the aluminum can I just threw in the garbage and took outside ;-)

Dachsys are barking about something

19. So you don’t like high-scoring games? :P

20. TJ says:

Not sure if anyone is still checking in tonight or not; but if anyone is out there has anyone signed Chris Rainey yet?

Find it interesting with the premium on speed that someone hasn’t signed him even if it is to be the return guy like Logan who is now with Detroit; that is unless there is more to this story.

Ehhh.

Can no longer watch players warm up or practice.

And they built, like, 12 more bars but the same crappy food choices.

Best to eat at Popi’s outside the gate.

22. TJ says:

Wasn’t it Diaz that was running a hitting clinic in the off season when he was visited by a teenage McCutcheon? Some are meant to do; some are meant to teach. Most are meant to do neither.

23. TJ says:

If you think that Hurdle used the DH because of a big crowd and need for double digits you don’t read much about the Pirates. And to further complicate the matter for you is that even adding a DH doesn’t guarantee anything more than possibly one less strike out in the game.

Pitt will play Wichita St on Thursday in Salt Lake City( West Regional)

If seeding holds-Pitt will play Gonzaga in the round of 32.

An 8th seed!

Warning. Not a pitt fan.

I thought pitt would get an 8. Or maybe 7.

Brackets are set up for a Pitt/Wisconsin Sweet 16 match up.

27. TJ says:

Can’t they turn down the NCAA and go to the NIT? Might have a chance of winning a couple games

28. DemonDachshund says:

On one hand, an 8 seed seems REALLY low.

On the other hand, they’ll be clobbered by Wichita State, so it really doesn’t matter.

I thought Pitt would be a 6th seed. UCLA and Ben Howland got a 6 seed. Pac 12 winner Oregon a 12th seed. I think the committee may have undervalued the Pac12 but we shall see.

30. DemonDachshund says:

They’d be turning down a boatload of money, so it won’t happen.

31. TJ says:

One thing I don’t get is if Pitt is an 8 seed that means they are no better than 28th ranked in the field. They were in the top 20 last week. Then you got a team like Wisconsin that makes their tournament final and has 11 losses with a 5 seed. They must use the Hoka Hey concept

32. TJ says:

It was sarcasm…lol

33. TJ says:

Part of me wonders if they haven’t realized that Joe Lunardi has been nailing the brackets for years and just decided to throw a curveball for once. Lunardi had Pitt as a 6 seed going against Ole Miss in RD1. The committee ranked them 8th. Quite a drop.

Yeah, I thought that too. Sort of “screw you” to Lunardi!

35. TJ says:

Seriously; the guy is usually dead on. This year looks like predicting the NFL draft.

Boy, it borders on uncomfortable watching Seth Davis and Doug Gottlieb. I don’t think they like each other very much. Also, apparently Greg Anthony feels the need to endorse every product available.

37. DemonDachshund says:

Illinois is a 7, had 12 losses and was 8-10 in conference. Lost in the quarters of the Big 10 Tourney.

I know they can fudge a bit to make the other rules fit (teams from the same conference need to be kept apart), but still.

38. TJ says:

Almost appears as though they looked at how well the 2nd and 3rd rounds may match up more than anything else.

39. TJ says:

Gottlieb annoys me at times; love when they bring up his criminal record from College.

40. DemonDachshund says:

From the last S-Curve that he put up, it looks like the main difference is that the committee gave a lot more love to mid majors than expected.

Looking at seeds 6 through 8 projected…

Ups:

VCU 6->5
    Butler 7->6
    Memphis 7->6
    UNLV 7->5

Downs:

Pitt 6->8
    UNC 6->8
    Oregon 8->12
    Mizzou 8->9

Given their recent success, I guess that makes sense.

Ah, the first “you have to be a moron if you don’t agree with me” Pirate post of the year. It must really be getting close to the real season. Thanks, tomp. ;-)

42. DemonDachshund says:

And honestly, Pitt played Michigan and a bunch of cupcakes in non-conference, so it’s kind of nice to see them not get rewarded for that.

43. TJ says:

Arriba I’m not saying anything about him needing to agree with me. I’m simply pointing out that it was covered locally that Hurdle would use a DH. And secondly the DH means nothing when we are talking about adding another Pirates hitter to the lineup. If we could have borrowed one from the Yanks then maybe.

44. TJ says:

Seriously…. there are 8 teams from the Big East in the tournament. Not exactly a cupcake conference schedule.

TJ—I was talking to tomp. You know, the post that referred to IQ.

One thing I like about St. Patrick’s Day. Syfy always shows Leprechaun I with pre- rhinoplasty Jennifer Aniston. An horrendous movie gem if ever there was one.

47. BigE says:

You should refer to him as Lefty McThump, Jr.

You are so high -brow

49. tom p says:

I didn’t use the word MORON to refer to anyone, Wilbur, or whatever your name is, but if the shoe fits, please wear it proudly!

50. tom p says:

More runs are scored in games using the DH than games when the pitcher hits, don’t you think?

51. tom p says:

You must not go inside the stadium before the game starts, since they still “warm up and practice” on the field.

What kind of food are you looking to be served at a baseball stadium anyways, beside dogs, burgers, pizza, subs, nachos, pretzels, cheese(and chicken) steaks, fries , and to top it off , ice cream.

52. You should watch the History Channel rendering of The Bible, John. They leave enough out of that write an entire new Bible.

Clever.

54. radio wave says:

It was just announced that Kentucky is the number one seed in the national invitation tournament. They will play here at Robert Morris in Moon on Tuesday night. This is because Kentucky home-court is being used for the national tournament.

They sell funnel cakes there..in Bradenton