Final: Penguins 1, Canadiens 0

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (25-8) vs. Canadiens de Montreal (20-6-5)

Time: 7:08 p.m.

Site: Consol Energy Center

TV, radio: Root Sports, RDS (Quebec), WXDX-FM 105.9

Here is the official live box score.

Here is TribLIVE’s Penguins page. Rob Rossi and Josh Yohe are on the scene.

Comments

1. Dave G says:

Go Pens!

DK,

Does the April 3rd date for expansion of the roster also mean that the salary cap goes away ? Remember Miro Satan ?

DK: Don’t know. I do remember that rule was part of the labor talks, but I don’t recall how it turned out. Perhaps a CBA-ologist can advise here.

3. tpbco says:

Don’t think so. You can have all the players you want but must fit under cap.

4. Pucknutz says:

Awww Dave ya beat me!
    Go Pens !

5. Sarah says:

Depres sent down.

6. Pucknutz says:

According to this the have 19Mill now and 26 Mill of space at the deadline.
    Not sure I understand it but I believe it is prorated some how.
    Somebody smarter than me may be able to explain it! LOL
    I believe that big jump after the deadline is what allows team to “rent” high dollar guys for the cup run.

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tygnsboro
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

320 locations represented in the blog,
    Honorary members, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference
    Beano
    Lemonade Guy
    The Gunner, Mr Bob Prince
    The Great One
    Mike Lange
    Myron Cope
    The Honorable Mayor Richard Caliguiri
    Kevin Mcclachety
    Mike Emerick
    Commander Hadfield, courtesy of the Space Station
    Fred Rogers
    Wilver Dornell Stargell, No 8
    Maz
    13 countries
    45 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 6 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    3/26/2013 5:15 PM

Can’t find it either. I did find that if you are over the cap to the point you can’t dress 20 players for game night (remember the Devils a few years back), you will be allowed to fill out your roster with enough guys making the minimum after you played short for one game.

9. Pucknutz says:

Paper move. He will be back after the 3rd when rosters expand.
    Letang off the IR I believe.
    Shero aint done – Despres will a part for a while to come.
    Shame he has to go down for a while as well as he has been playing – but a lot of jugglin
    goin on right now.

10. Eric Bowser says:

That’s correct.

NHLPA and many GMs wanted this rule change to allow teams to dress the allowable 18 skaters and 2 goaltenders, no matter the cap situation. It was a player safety and fair competition concern that only made sense to rectify in this new CBA.

The cap is still enforceable from the perspective that the players on the team after April 3rd must be players that were on the 51-man roster prior to the trade deadline or college players that sign deals.

I can’t find that section of the new CBA… need to find that to be 100% sure about the college player part.

11. Eric Bowser says:

I hate the move but I can understand why they did it.

He’ll be back after the trade deadline.

12. Eric Bowser says:

Going to be a great night of fun.

I was hoping you were around. Thanks.

Got my popcorn and soda ready for this one. Can’t wait.

15. Eric Bowser says:

I’m ready to eat the kids’ Easter candy, lol.

16. cherokee23 says:

I’ll know soon enough, but are Morrow & Murray playing tonight

17. Eric Bowser says:

Morrow is playing, Murray is expected to arrive in Pittsburgh shortly, so he’s out.

Despres was demoted… guessing the defense will be…

Orpik – Martin
    Eaton – Letang
    Niskanen – Engelland
    Extra: Bortuzzo

I don’t want to see them lose Bortuzzo via waivers

19. Pucknutz says:

Also have some popcorn – but I am partaking of some LaBatts Blue.
    Have been drinking it when the Pens play north of the border teams, so far so good!!

Thats all I need is another silly superstion watching the games! LOL
    (too many to count)

20. Eric Bowser says:

Appears the forward lines tonight could be…

Kunitz – Crosby – Dupuis
    Morrow – Jeffrey – Neal
    Cooke – Sutter – Kennedy
    Glass – Adams – Bennett
    Scratch: Vitale
    IR: Malkin

15 games to play. If playoffs started today Pens would be playing the Rangers. Not really crazy about that for a first round series. I would like to see Buffalo or Washington sneak into that eight spot. The Rangers and Canes would be the toughest draws.

An outright win tonight will probably secure the conference win for the Pens and put them in a place to win the Presidents cup trophy. Of course, always mindful of the one day at a time mantra.

22. Eric Bowser says:

Same here.

Guessing pre-April 3rd, roster will be…

Kunitz – Crosby – Dupuis – Orpik – Martin
    Morrow – Malkin – Neal – Eaton – Letang
    Cooke – Sutter – Kennedy – Murray – Niskanen
    Glass – Vitale – Adams
    Extra: Jeffrey – Bortuzzo – Engelland

Despres already demoted and Bennett goes down as paper move until deadline and then he’ll get promoted.

I guess Shero could make a move dealing someone to free up a spot and get back a draft pick or C level prospect.

You gotta beat them all

And if all cylinders are working, the Pens can

Just sayin

Ha! I don’t have any standing superstitions about hockey. Plenty with the Pirates, though. (Obviously they have been working lo these many years!)

Yeah, nothing easy about the playoffs. The alternative, not playing, is worst.

26. Pucknutz says:

Yea man -thats where I would love to see the great 8 an co.!

I think we are all on the same page ;-)

Shero appears to be as well

He is all in, dam the torpedos full speed ahead

I got $$, I got chips, and I want it all

Godspeed Ray

Lets go Pens

Magic number to clinch the Atlantic Division is 17.

Gotta say this, a breath of fresh air vs the bunker on Federal St.

And for better or worse, I date back to the Stillers playing at Pitt Stadium and the Pittsburgh Hornets playing at the, genuflect here, Civic Arena, and Mr Joe L Brown

30. Pucknutz says:

I have an original Bob Prince “Green Weenie” that actualy did work last summer – the 19 inning game. I guess it was wore out the rest of the season! LOL

Have not tried it yet for a hockey game – will keep it in reserve though!!

Moment of silence for Wayne Fleming, who passed away today.

Tyler Kennedy with the early fist a cuffs.

33. Dave G says:

How quaint. A featherweight fight.

34. SJB says:

Pens playing some Grade-A hockey so far tonight. ;)

35. Dave G says:

Jeffrey needs to shoot the stinking puck.

36. TJ says:

Trying to show his versatility for a potential new team.

37. TJ says:

I am assuming that Vitale was scratched over Glass because of penalty kill

38. SJB says:

I’ll never have a problem with a coach calling a time-out in the 1st period.

39. TJ says:

Tanner Glass = BIG TURD

40. SJB says:

Be nice to see the Pens keep the puck in for more than 10 seconds..

41. Eric Bowser says:

I don’t know how much longer this can continue with him in the lineup.

42. SJB says:

Sounds right to me…I was always fond of Poop Butt myself.

43. SJB says:

Some good news tonight: Isles on top of Caps 2-0.

44. TJ says:

What time does the Pens game start tonight?

I see guys skating back and forth but they don’t seem to be playing hockey right now

45. SJB says:

I think 9:30.

46. TJ says:

That was beautiful. Adams and Martin pinned in the corner by one Montreal player. Seriously sleep walking again

Like Possum power

That trumps all ;-)

Where is Drew??

Jarred Tinordi is Mark Tinordi’s son. I often forget how old I am.

50. SJB says:

Starting to think the Pens need to be down a goal or two anymore to be motivated. Over confident I think. They might need B-slapped.

51. SJB says:

That’s ok, I just found out the other day Jordan Staal and Eric Staal were brothers. Who knew?

BTW: I hated Tinordi.

Maybe Therion has them fired up?

53. TJ says:

I was going to purchase one of those gift bags but I’m afraid I’d end up with a Tyler Kennedy or Tanner Glass autographed puck

54. SJB says:

Pens playing soff right now.

55. SJB says:

Or worse…Tyler Kennedy or Tanner Glass.

Trade you a Lyle Overbay baseball.

How are those Penguin treats at DQ? Sound good when I hear the radio ad on XM.

All we have around here is a reduced price for fish sandwiches at McDonald’s in honor of Donald Driver’s retirement. (Donald’s McDonald’s as the ad goes)

You never know. OJ’s autograph was not worth much prior to 1994.

59. SJB says:

All we have out here is a punch in the mouth at Pat’s when you order a cheese steak in honor of the Flyers great play of late.

60. Pucknutz says:

Bizrow, ya old fart! lol Me too!!
    Joe L Brown – what a blast from the past!!
    Ya Bing Crosby had a piece of the action at the time! lol

61. J Walter Weatherman says:

I see Coburn is playing for the Flyers tonight. I haven’t heard a peep about disciplinary action for the hit against Dupuis. Pretty inconsistent.

Everybody see Dejan’s column topic tomorrow? I’m putting the over/under on comments for tomorrow’s Wakeup Call at 450. Maybe some Federal Streeters will chime in.

63. SJB says:

The Pens are insane if they ever sit Eaton or cut his ice time to find a spot for Murray. He’s our best defensemen in the purest meaning of it and I can think of many others that could sit instead…one of them even has one more 4 than him.

64. Eric Bowser says:

Letang just refuses to shoot the one-timer from there….

65. J Walter Weatherman says:

Letang should not be on the PP, which is frustrating considering his talent seems to be suited for it. Just makes bad decisions.

66. SJB says:

I don’t think he’s capable. Always has to piss with it, or get it under control even if it’s a good pass. and on top of that, he’s terrible at keeping the puck inside the blue line, especially if he’s under any pressure. Because of that, I never really liked Letang at the point.

67. SJB says:

BS call on Eaton.

68. Eric Bowser says:

Call the cops, robbery at CEC

..what a save by Fleury

69. Dave G says:

Fleury is incredible tonight

70. Eric Bowser says:

No, what is the topic?

71. TK39 says:

The Pens radio team doesnt like it at all either. They’re fuming.

See tweet over at the right, Eric. Going to be about Pirate starting pitching (oxymoron?).

73. Eric Bowser says:

Say what you want about Craig Patrick, which I’ve written plenty, his draft day trade to move up and acquire Marc-Andre Fleury was one of the most underrated and least discussed trades ever.

74. TJ says:

Do the Canadians have a goalie? They don’t seem to need one tonight

75. TJ says:

I think its kind of like Mark Wholers or Steve Blass suddenly forgetting how to put the ball across the plate.

All in his freaking head

76. SJB says:

Let’s just hope they don’t waste his effort. Someone’s got to put the big boy pants on tonight and get a goal already. Sounds like something right up Morrow’s alley.

77. TJ says:

We gave up Mikael Samuelsson and something else along with our pick right?

Samuelsson didn’t amount to anything till he landed in Detroit.

78. SJB says:

I remember everyone saying he was crazy for taking a goalie no. 1.

79. Eric Bowser says:

blame it on the constant line juggling.

I’m just glad Montreal has 0 on the board.

80. pattonbb says:

I’d like $50 on the over, please.

81. SJB says:

Sid with the big boy pants on!!!

82. TJ says:

All it takes is 1 shot.

Nice shot SID!!

83. Eric Bowser says:

1-0 Pens!!!

Crosby with a ton of time and space, Price off his angle and boom!

Crosby smiling like a butcher’s dog!

85. TK39 says:

I vaguely remember him hurting the Pens a few times in that first Cup Final though. Still worth it.

86. Sarah says:

Bad angle Carey….napping maybe!

87. Dave G says:

SIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

88. Eric Bowser says:

“Patrick traded Pittsburgh’s first-round selection (the third over all) and a second-round compensatory pick (55th over all) to the Panthers along with forward Mikael Samuelsson. The Panthers also sent a third-round pick (Jonathan Filewich) to the Penguins.”

89. SJB says:

Bad decision to go down early more like it. Should have been standing. Gave up too much net for Crosby to use.

90. Eric Bowser says:

What a move by Sutter… he’s getting more and more confident with the puck.

91. SJB says:

Someone kill that friggin smurf already!

92. Eric Bowser says:

I hate Gionta…

Labatts!!!!

94. J Walter Weatherman says:

The Ol’ 2-9er is pretty fired up at Gionta.

95. Dave G says:

TK launches his biggest hit of the season… on Fleury

96. TJ says:

Talk about a pretty good top 10… the 2003 draft.

1. Fleury
    2. Eric Staal
    3. Nathan Horton
    4. Nikolai Zherdev
    5. Thomas Vanek
    6. Milan Michalek
    7. Ryan Suter
    8. Braydon Coburn
    9. Dion Phaneuf
    10. Andre Kostitsyn

Pretty stacked lineup

97. SJB says:

Would be a shame if someone “accidentally” boarded him right into next season.

98. SJB says:

Eye for an eye…Price must pay the price. C’mon Cookie!

99. Eric Bowser says:

A little stick to the back of the knee would do wonders… no need for boarding.

Old farts rock! ;)

Yeah and that p*sses me off! Grrr!

102. Eric Bowser says:

That’s an easy target… that’s like taking candy from a baby.

104. Eric Bowser says:

I wanted Horton, figured Florida was going to take him at number one and Canes would take Staal at two, so that left Zherdev and Vanek. Initially, I wasn’t thrilled with the deal and pick but the more I read up on Fleury as I admittedly didn’t do my homework on him as I thought the team needed help at forward (there’s a shocking take, eh?).

Not Cookie, let Morrow “accidentally” fall on Price!

shame on you Eric!!!

107. Eric Bowser says:

Losing Fleury, not good.

108. SJB says:

Let’s score on this interference call. That’ll be a small payback for the crap they are pulling with our goalies.

109. SJB says:

Letang sucks on the PP, pure and simple.

110. Eric Bowser says:

When he plays in the flow of the game, he’s fine. When he has time to think, he locks up.

The great thing about the Penguins is that they’re so forthcoming with injuries. I’m sure we’ll know exactly what’s up with Fleury immediately after the game. :)

112. Eric Bowser says:

Can’t wait for the ‘upper body’ report.

113. SJB says:

Kreskin says Upper Body injury.

Did you ever notice Kreskin’s a dead ringer for Bud Selig ?

Man Gionta just needs knocked into next season

116. SJB says:

I’ll have to take a look. Been a while since I’ve seen a pic of Kreskin.

Wonder if he’d be acting this way if Crankshaft were in the lineup ?

118. SJB says:

True dat

119. Eric Bowser says:

Punks like Gionta are why I have no use for empty sweaters like Glass.

Cookie tried to take him on but the puss was skeered

Vokoun hanging in there

How many is this now ? I’ve lost count.

123. Dave G says:

Whew! Solid goaltending tonight.

yes indeed!

125. SJB says:

Nice win, but I’m pretty sure you can’t win 0 to -1 so the Pens better start scoring a few more goals soon. Not saying they need to open it up too much at the expense of allowing goals, but I’d be happy if they could score maybe 3 now and then. I mean, this isn’t the ’95 Devils.

126. Eric Bowser says:

13 in a row…. never saw the defensive success coming.

who knew?

Poor Craig Adams’ face is a mess. I sure hope Fleury isn’t seriously injured

SJB just freakin smile tonite ok? :) :) ;)

130. SJB says:

Me neither. I knew they would have to play tighter defensively to stand a chance in the playoffs, but I never expected it to this degree. I just hope they don’t forget how to score. :)

131. SJB says:

Don’t worry, I am. :)

That’s better :)

133. Eric Bowser says:

Tonight’s goal was Crosby’s first game winning goal this season.

134. Pucknutz says:

Thank You very much Jandy!!!
    Just remember you will be an old fart someday!!
    Oh I forgot – females never have gas! lol

29 career

136. MadTurk says:

The Bum, Bench him and replace with Glass. Oh wait my initials are not NH

137. Pucknutz says:

Wonder if Bylsma has anything to do w/that??
    Jaggin ya Eric- but maybe …..
    Go Pens!!

138. TJ says:

I thought it was interesting that of all the guys Cooke was the one that tried to get Gionta to drop the gloves. Cooke usually refuses to drop the gloves himself.

Pens acquire Khabibulin for 2nd round picks in 2015 thru 2020.

139. TJ says:

If anyone really believes the Pens don’t need a guy like Iginla haven’t watched the 1st periods of the last 2 games. Granted Malkin will be coming back but there is nothing going on any where when it comes to sustained pressure from any other line.

If I see Dustin Jeffery and Tyler Kennedy after April 3rd I say fired Shero!

140. Eric Bowser says:

I think you meant to say Luongo, lol.

141. TJ says:

Rumors have a NFL player coming out of the closet sometime very soon.

My money is on Ray Lewis; I mean he’s done everything else.

142. TJ says:

We might be able to get the Islanders 2nd round picks for the next 8 years if we take DiPietro

Ray doesn’t have the cajones to do that

144. MadTurk says:

Can we say this month has been the March of the Penguins?

LOL Puckers, this Mother Theresa is already an old fart :P