Chat transcript: Iginla, Iginla, more Iginla

Here’s today’s chat transcript. Record participation, and I’ll assume Jarome Iginla had a little to do with that but also that we had it right here on the blog.

Thanks to Matt Neistein of our staff for working hard to make that happen.

Comments

1. Matt says:

Did the reports that Iginla was going to Boston prompt Shero to get this done? Would the Pens have Iginla today if he was as strongly linked to a Western conference contender last night?

2. Greg says:

Are the Steelers being a little stubborn with Harrison? I get the ultimatum. Take the 30% cut or you aren’t coming back. He chose incorrectly to test the market. But if they have the chance to get him at, say, 50% of what he got last year, how can you not lob in that call when we are staring down the barrel of Jason Worilds, Starting OLB?

3. Pucknutz says:

WOW just WOW~
    Don’t know if all the pieces will fit yet but I like the odds!

If you are new to the blog, or haven’t posted before, please add your current residence to your post, as of now, 320 locations in the world with confirmed lunatics residing…

Just a random thought here, this would be an excellent time for Nuttin to announce the new 5 year extension he has given to the BMTIB. It would be his way of showing he’s ALLIN

5. SJB says:

DK,

Not to “wag the finger” so to speak, but I told you no one knew what Iginla would cost.

Too expensive? Don’t think so.

6. SJB says:

All the reports were speculation, nothing more. Only Iginla knew where he was going and Shero didn’t need Boston, or LA to get this deal done. Frankly, I think he could have given them even less but felt bad Calgary was in such a bad spot to demand anything, since Iginla was holding the cards and the power. The only option Calgary had was to not trade him and resign him.

7. Tim says:

How do you see the power play stacking up with all of these added pieces. Also, is Iginla any help on the PK as well? I know he’s had a few shorties in his career.

8. Brian says:

I think these trades show how much the players respect the way the Penguin owners and front office year players. I also think this shows the respect Crosby gets from fellow players. The question though that everyone wants to know…can these trades work on the ice?

9. kr70 says:

What’s the shoot out line up? We should make it best out of seven.

10. SJB says:

Not really a question that can be answered until they all start playing together, don’t you think?

11. Josh says:

How big of a factor do you believe Mario has played in landing Morrow and Iginla?

Something I feel is being overlooked is the culture that he has created. From the organizational philosophy, to the role he and Burkle played during the lockout, all the way down to the facilities (ice conditions not withstanding), guys just don’t want to go to a contender, they want to win it all in Pittsburgh. Not to discount Shero’s forward thinking over the summer to get the roster in a place to make these deals even possible, but it has to make his job easier with all that leverage and support from the ownership.

12. WDSinPHX says:

Phoenix, Arizona

DK – How much of a factor in the Morrow and Iginla deals was the fact that BOS owner, Jeremy Jacobs, was such a hard-line jerk during the lockout? Players may be saying “payback”?

Still in shock – woke up to the news and haven’t stopped smiling!

13. Jeff says:

Dejan,

I liked the Morrow and Murray trades, they were exactly what Shero was looking for to upgrade the club. With the Iginla acquisition, it almost seems like an embarrassment of riches now. DB will have some tinkering to do with lines, and even with cap space left, I would have to believe any future moves would involve players leaving the current NHL roster. Just how far would the Penguins have to go this postseason to consider these trades a success? Is it the Cup and nothing less? I don’t see any of the new players resigning in PIT after the season ends, and the roster for 2013-2014 will definitely look much different. I wouldn’t think these moves would have a significant effect on resigning Malkin and Letang but they could….

Still $4 million under the cap.

15. Pucknutz says:

“I’ll repeat that the locker room is going to need to be cool with all aspects of this” DK

And I think they will be. Shero has created some real depth and no one has been kicked of the bus yet. With the expanded roster come the 3rd even the young guys are gonna have a shot to play. Yes, there will be a lot of healthy scratches but the run for the Cup is a long one and certainly there will be injuries. I don’t forsee a lot of turmoil .
    Do You?

Alex Ovechkin hit in the face with a puck at Caps practice this morning drawing a copious amount of blood and he “left the ice in agony”. Just heard that on ESPN 980 in Washington.

17. TJ says:

DK:

I think Shero still needs to add a puncher; Glass is fine and all as long as he doesn’t need to play. Do you see them perhaps trying to find a guy to protect Iginla, Malkin, Crosby, Kunitz, Dupuis, Neal, Letang, and Tyler Kennedy (needs protection from himself).

18. TJ says:

Gosh I hope that didn’t mess up his pretty face.

So who gets moved from the roster to make room for JI?

20. Kevin says:

how big is it that we didn’t land Parise over the summer? Well I did, but I was thinking for other reasons (re-signing malkin n letang).

I think they’ll send Bennett down. They’re going to want him to play. They have 15 forwards currently including Malkin. And the rosters expand on April 3rd.

22. TJ says:

Milo won’t they have to send someone else down? I figured Bennett would be sent down once Malkin was activated.

23. Kevin says:

can Simon Despres be moved again without injury or is that option spent?

24. TJ says:

For all those Disco Dan haters out there; Shero has done his job and puts the pressure directly on the players and coaches. I admit I was very critical of him this off season for not making moves to improve the team. And once again I’m reminded why I am posting my opinion in a blog forum rather than at consol working as the GM of the Pens.

If it works like baseball, one option equals a year of options. Alex Presley has one option left. They can bring him back & forth 100 times this year on his last option.

Do they need Tanner Glass anymore?

I think someone’s going to be traded to open up a roster spot & get back some draft picks. Iginla takes Bennett’s place unless you want him languishing on the 4th line. He needs to go down & play.

28. CeehowUR says:

I understand the Pirates are so upset at the attention the Penguins are getting right before the season starts, that they are trying to put together their own attention grabbing trade. The BMTIB has contacted the Devils to see if they can make a deal for Brodeur.

29. Kevin says:

I don’t think so. I still like the idea (not mine but can’t remember who) to dress 7 defensemen and play Engelland as a fill-in on the 4th line. We clearly have plenty of offensive firepower. That’s if Shero’s done.. he still might add a solid checking forward to play on the 4th line and/or PK. If thats the case, you definitely won’t need glass.

30. SEE says:

Please clarify something about no trade clauses. Iginla gives Calgary a list of teams that he’ll play for. Does Calgary have to go back to him and say “Boston offered us this. Chicago offered that, etc.” Does Iginla then have the right to tell Calgary what trade to accept? Or, once he gives them the list of teams he’ll play for, he has to go to which ever one of those teams that Calgary wants to send him to.

He kills penalties, I’m not sure how well, but he does kill penalties. I never judge a new acquisition until I see how they perform in the playoffs. It’s a completely different world. When everyone is healthy, I dress him over guys like Kennedy & Jeffrey. That 4th line is going to be a revolving door.

But they will be happy if the club tanks out of the gate and the Pens are still making headlines….

It probably improved it ;)

If I were on the Pen’s roster and it was just upgraded like it has been, I’d do whatever management asked me and NOT make waves. Heck, I want to win the Cup, I’ll do anything I need to do!

Any move regarding Bennett should make sure they can recall him if need be.

36. TJ says:

I don’t think Shero is done adding to the “4th” line. I would not be surprised if he added another player that gave them a constant 4th line and not a revolving one.

37. Jason says:

Is it wrong of me that I smiled a little?

38. TJ says:

Ugg some of these comments are stupid. Teams get loaded up and upset in first round…. will it happen to this team? Seriously?

39. Kevin says:

seems like alot of people asking for a prediction from mr. absolute lock… I doubt he sticks his neck out again without atleast watching them play together first.

40. TJ says:

Now that last comment brought up a good point. Why not put Morrow, Crosby, Iginla on top line, Kunitz, Malkin, Neal on second and Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis on third

41. SJB says:

This whole “Chemistry” issue people are harping on is silly. Of course Jarome is going to play on the top two lines, but if he displaces either Kunitz to move him back to the – what was less than a year ago – the best line in hockey, or bumps Dupuis back to even the 3rd line – where he has often played for most of his career – then I don’t think that will weaken the team the way people are afraid it will and by all reasoning, should only make the team as a whole even better.

Iginla is a world class player. It’s like Crosby being traded in a few years and having whatever team’s fans worried about where he’s going to fit, and whether he’ll screw things up if they are already playing well. Of course there will be a getting us to period and some adjustments to be made, but once a comfort level is found, I guarantee Iginla, like Crosby, will make whatever line he plays on even better than it was before.

Regardless of how well Dupuis and Kunitz are playing with Crosby right now, I can’t fathom the thought that Iginla won’t eventually make that line even better, especially through the playoffs. Remember folks, most of the reason that line is playing so well now is because of Crosby and how he can make Dupuis and Kunitz better, not vice-versa and the Crosby effect will only increase as it applies to Iginla.

OMG Drew is on a roll:

Comment From Drews Wifes Poodle
    Number of wins for the Pirates? That’s the ML baseball team here, BTW.

43. You think Drew asked that Q? ;)

44. SJB says:

Punchers aren’t needed in the playoffs. Plus; Iginla can protect himself, and if on a line with Crosby (or whoever), he can help protect them too.

Grin away, man, grin away ;)

46. TJ says:

Ray Lewis considering a return to the NFL if he can acquire some Ray Shero Spray

Absolutely

ZING!

49. hap2009 says:

me too

50. I think it was the incontinent poodle.

LOL leaky eh?

52. Yes, that’s the dog’s name, Leaky.

53. TJ says:

NHL network shows Iginla on the third line with Cooke and Sutter… NO WAY IN HELL

54. Brian says:

I will admit that was a bit more of a thought said out loud than a actual question.

55. TJ says:

Oh Jandy… had to ask about the Pegs didn’t ya

darn right lol. But Dejan wussed out ;)
    He’s not a reporter, he’s a columnist.N As he’s said MANY times lol

57. Can’t seem to get my question through on the live chat. I’m not completely technologically challenged…really. Why the emphasis on age with Iginla, Morrow, and Murray?? Guerin, Roberts, and Trottier were all older when they came to the Pens. Free agent status seems more the issue. I feel like I’m missing something.

pam, your questions are likely going thru. Dejan has to pick and choose which to respond to. But you prolly know that, right? The age thing IMO would be a factor if you were signing these guys to a long term contract, not just for a cup run.

LOL Matt called him out:
    Comment From Matt
    “Dejan Kovacevic: Reporters don’t root.” You are a “columnist” so who are you rooting for?

Dejan’s reply:
    Dejan Kovacevic:
    Let me try it again: Journalists don’t root. There’s no rooting in this business. None.

I really hate how much that surprises people.

It’s ok Dejan, we know deep in your “journalists” heart, you’re pulling for the Peg. And it’s ok, we still love you :P

stranger things have happened, Teddy Bear

63. Prolly. ;) Age just seems to be OVERmentioned in this case, at least to me. This whole tradegasm just seems to be something to enjoy and live in the moment with…see if it takes us to the Cup. I’m with Ray; worry about the rest later.

I heartily agree..and I intend to fully enjoy every moment of it!

65. MrB says:

Iginla just referenced the roll that the Pens are on with respect to playing in either Pittsburgh or Boston. Can we classify the recent wins over Boston as HUGE?

Interesting because I’ve heard columnists that have shows on the Fan who are clearly rooting.

67. SJB says:

Nonsense. DK is one of the most hardcore, yinzer homers there are. He “roots” for the Pirates and Pens and any other Pittsburgh team. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be as unabashedly opinionated and outspoken as he is on any topic related to it.

68. MadTurk says:

Didn’t get to finish. Anything? you may lose your avatar

Are you suggesting that you have to root for a team in order to be “unabashedly opinionated and outstpoken?” Which is what I think Dejan’s job is to be, btw.

70. gregenstein says:

Isn’t Steve MacIntyre still with Wilkes-Barre?

71. gregenstein says:

It’s similar. Baseball has a waiting period (10 days I think) where you can’t recall a guy you just optioned unless he’s replacing someone going on the DL. I don’t believe hockey has that concept, which is why a guy like Beau Bennett has to spend a day in taxi cab with a suitcase just site-seeing around Pittsburgh.

lol let’s NOT go there Mad Turk ;)

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back