On location: Penguins 2, Islanders 0 … 15 in a row

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (27-8) vs. New York Islanders (16-15-3)

Time: 1:08 p.m.

Site: Consol Energy Center

TV, radio: Root Sports, WXDX-FM 105.9

Here is the official live box score.

Here is TribLIVE’s Penguins page. Rob Rossi, Josh Yohe and I are on the scene.

Comments

1. kr70 says:

can’t sleep, guess I’ll be the first. There is a reason we are lunatics. Man, how can they break up that first line? And didn’t you like the way Morrow stands in front of the cage with Gino and Neal. But Iggy on the third line?? Holy cow Batman! Can’t wait to see him in a Pens uni. I know the Consul faithful will give him a warm welcome. Enjoy the ride!!

2. kr70 says:

Wonder what Ray’s doing right now?

3. Pucknutz says:

Nice read.
    “A Stanley Cup is not inevitable. But a fun run is”

I am a 100% “homer” so ya ain’t gonna see to much negative outa me in the next 8,10 or 12 weeks.
    It;s a Great Day to be a Pgh Hockey Fan!!!!
    Lets Go Pens

very well worded….there are no cup guarantees…but the run will be fun!

5. Pucknutz says:

Hey Jandy ya old fart – whatcha doin up so early on a Sat.???

I was going to say the same thing to you Nutz, except I’m not calling anybody old.

7. Stuart says:

I am wondering which local high school redesigned this web site as a project. It’s always fascinating when high school neophyte first learns he or she can change the background color, and then inevitably begins to tinker with type color.

One wonders why most books aren’t published with colored pages.

I wonder if it would be possible to have even smaller avatars. If that can happen, it will happen.

Stuart

8. Pucknutz says:

Not to worry Milo – we are both “self proclaimed” old farts. lol

9. Jason says:

Yeah. Kinda like having HOFer Bryan Trottier as your 3rd line center.

10. Bob Hasis says:

On Thursday as I was preparing to enjoy a good hockey game, I just became aware of Shero acquiring Iginla; that on the heels of Murray and Morrow also being “stolen” for our benefit. Combining those three with our already powerful group, was somewhat eerie

I had this enormous overwhelming feeling of “we are going to win The Cup” with this team as now assembled, and then we proceeded to dismantle Winnipeg – a Cup contender.

This must be how Yankee fans have felt for decades – every year – when their GM goes out and buys a player or two to insure a World Series.
    Even in the 70′s, when the Steelers and Pirates were so awesome, I have never felt such superiority. I certainly hope this feeling is not something of a mirage.

I’d say sometime around 1pm today, 19,000 fans at Consul will let us know.

11. You still driving the school bus, Bob? Wondered how that has worked out for you. My year at that was a real experience.

12. cherokee23 says:

This isn’t directed at you, Bob Hasis, but I’ve read several references to the Yankees. Also, about an “embarrassment of riches” and fans “almost feeling guilty” about the roster Shero has built, some referencing the Yankees and “buying a championship”. I understand that to a degree, but don’t forget the big difference. The NHL has a salary cap and every team is on an even playing field. I know baseball has the luxury tax, but that does not put a limit on the high spending teams, it simply penalizes them with the tax. They are still free to spend what they want. In my opinion, this makes what Shero has done even more deserving of praise!

13. Bob Hasis says:

Yes Lucky I am. When I have 72 youngsters – first through fifth grade – on the bus, I have a great time. I am able to evoke wonderful comments from them.

If I told this story before please forgive me; I was a sub on a new route and needed some guidance where the stops were in getting those kids home.
    I stood up (I’m 6’5″) to introduce myself and said, “I want the smartest fifth-grader on this bus to come forward and sit behind me.”

You would have thought I created a tsunami. Twenty kids rushed the front of the bus. After I picked myself up and dusted off, I noticed a younger than fifth grade little girl sitting directly behind my seat. I said you aren’t in fifth grade.

Her response was priceless. She said, “No I’m in third grade, but I’m the smartest one on the bus and I know all of the stops”

She became my #1 draft pick for the job.

You would understand this quite well; I was put in this role for a reason and I love it.

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Austrailia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tygnsboro
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilks-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

320 locations represented in the blog,
    Honorary members, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference
    Beano
    Lemonade Guy
    The Gunner, Mr Bob Prince
    The Great One
    Mike Lange
    Myron Cope
    The Honorable Mayor Richard Caliguiri
    Kevin Mcclachety
    Mike Emerick
    Commander Hadfield, courtesy of the Space Station
    Fred Rogers
    Wilver Dornell Stargell, No 8
    Maz
    13 countries
    45 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 6 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    3/28/2013 4:58 PM

15. Bob Hasis says:

No offense taken, but I was merely trying to associate my recent euphoria with that of Yankee fans which by now might be boring to them.

Research all the way back to the 50′s if possible and you will note a trade or purchase that was significant – virtually every year in August or September.

Recently, the names of ARod, and Teixera represent what I was saying, though they were not necessarily late season acquisitions.

I totally agree with you about Shero. When he comes to a city, they should lock the banks, hide the kids and head off to the mountains. He is a GENIUS!!

16. stuart66 says:

Wow, I guess the colors appeared only on my iPAD. Now that I’m on my MAC everything looks much better. Now the only worry is that the iPAD version is there for beta testing, and will be considered for the whole shebang.

As Roseanne Roseannadanna would say “Nevermind”.

Stuart

17. Glad to hear you’re liking it. You told that story last year, but it’s excellent and worth repeating for newcomers to the blog and all of us.

18. stuart66 says:

Great story, well told Bob!

Stuart

19. CWalton_67 says:

Any word on the lines for today?

20. CWalton_67 says:

Biz, I think that perhaps Le Magnifique should be considered for honorary blog membership.

21. TJ says:

I imagine the forwards will be the same as Iginla isn’t likely to play. Engelland will likely dress since Martin is hurt.

I second that nomination.

Good point, Mario is added

24. BillyBaduka says:

Here, here. This is awful.

I’d rather have the chat separated from blog and go back to format used until Wed.

25. BillyBaduka says:

He’s working on a deal to get the Panama Canal back for 365 empanadas and 3 Los Lobos records. :)

26. TJ says:

I’m still baffled; how is there not one person associated with the Steelers in the Honorary Members section?

Chuck Noll?
    Terry Bradshaw?
    The Steel Curtain?
    The Steelers in general — they have made a difference

The fact that we have Kevin McClatchey over anyone from Steelers history is a head scratcher.

27. Eric Bowser says:

Iginla press conference at 11, not sure if anyone is broadcasting it live.

28. likeabugonarug says:

Biz – “missing 6 states”, with a list of 5 states…… Me thinks your math is off. :-)

29. Eric Bowser says:

making assumption on today’s lineup.

Kunitz – Crosby – Dupuis – Orpik – Eaton
    Morrow – Malkin – Neal – Murray – Niskanen
    Cooke – Sutter – Kennedy – Despres – Engelland
    Glass – Vitale – Adams
    Vokoun – Fleury
    Scratches: Martin, Jeffrey, Iginla

30. TJ says:

Man what a difference Eaton has been since coming back.

31. Eric Bowser says:

He’s a calming influence on defense.

Figure Eaton and Despres will rotate in and out of the lineup come playoff time.

Orpik – Martin
    Despres/Eaton – Letang
    Murray – Niskanen

32. Bob Hasis says:

No chance of reneging – is there?

33. Eric Bowser says:

Iginla WILL play.

No news yet on what line he will play on.

34. Eric Bowser says:

I will be away for most of this game if not all of it.

Today’s my daughter’s 4th birthday, we have an Easter Egg hunt at 1 and then heading to Chuck-E-Cheese (her choice) for late lunch, early dinner… or a snack. LOL

35. kr70 says:

When he said he would do anything to help the team he wasn’t thinking third line.But think about it, third line would keep him fresh (35 years old) Sutter, Iggy, Cooke against other teams third lines might be some easy pickings. can’t wait.

36. hockeymonster says:

Heard a lot of talk about not moving dupuis off 1st line but would he really be offended if he got moved to LW on malkin’s line? That way Real Deal and iginla can stay at RW and dupuis is still in a prominent role in the top 6. For the sake of team depth and logic I think that’s the no brainer move for the top 2 lines. And I really don’t like the sound of cooke and morrow being on the same line…who would be the shooter? Just a lot of crashing and banging but don’t like the idea of cooke playing his off wing. I say ride kennedy on 3rd line till he reverts back to holding onto puck too long leading to turnovers like he did early this year when he was trying to do too much. Now he’s playing better and I would keep him on 3rd line RW. Then for the sake of team depth I would move either cooke or morrow down to 4th line LW with vitale and adams.

37. kr70 says:

Chuckie Cheese might have a big screen and if you could get it off the Disney channel you would be a hero to all the dads there

38. Eric Bowser says:

Whoa. Paul Martin is out 6 weeks (upper body injury).

Big blow their defense.

39. Bob Hasis says:

I’m just curious why a news conference is needed. That occurred yesterday.

Just get here and let’s go!

40. Eric Bowser says:

Iginla will play LW on a line with Malkin and Neal.

Not a fan of that as Iginla is a natural RW and I really liked Morrow on that line.

OOPS, thanks for that catch

42. Eric Bowser says:

will be out 6 weeks, had surgery, saw someone tweet it was wrist injury.

43. TJ says:

Eric there are plenty of more birthdays in here future… only one FIRST GAME FOR IGINLA!!!

44. bradthedad says:

Stayed clear of all the line combo talk because Bylsma is going to juggle away anyhow. But, really, what’s not to like about your 2nd (!!!) line being Malkin Neal Iginla? That’s plain crazy.

45. TJ says:

Still time for Shero to make a deal; have the cap space and assets to make something happen. Time to call Buffalo

46. kr70 says:

Morrow is a rock in front of the net, just what Gino and Neal need, a bib screen!

47. Eric Bowser says:

yeah, even if I thought that… no way would I win that argument. LOL

I want Jordan Leopold back.

49. Eric Bowser says:

That’s who I would target as he plays a similar game to Martin but I don’t think the Pens have to make a deal as I like what they have come playoff time.

Orpik – Eaton
    Despres – Letang
    Murray – Niskanen
    Extra: Engelland – Bortuzzo

If you get Leopold or another defenseman, it has to be someone appreciably better than what Eaton will bring to the team.

50. Eric Bowser says:

Iginla met with media in Calgary, so he met with Pittsburgh media at 11. I think it was maybe 10-15 minutes, so no big deal.

51. Eric Bowser says:

Yeah, that would be great.

52. TJ says:

Its amazing what an extra trip to toys r us will do for you. Your daughter will love you; your wife…. not so much

Exactly. They don’t really have to do anything. Just makes the Murray acquisition look more important.

54. NastyNate82 says:

Also, don’t sell the Yankees short on their 90′s dynasty. That team was filled with homegrown players (Williams, Jeter, Pettite, Rivera, Posada) or made astute trades (O’Neil, Martinez, Brosius, Cone). Of course they had the financial muscle to supplement that core with free agents, but thru part of that late 90′s period, the Orioles actually had a higher payroll. Its actually kind of funny: when the Yankees went crazy with their spending in the early aughts, thats when they stopped winning championships. Drove Big George crazy.

55. NastyNate82 says:

This meant to be all in one post, I apologize. Yes, it makes what Shero did even MORE impressive as its done with heavy restrictions. Its not like MLB where you can spend like a sailor on leave or the NBA with a soft cap (which almost makes it seem like there’s no cap at all). They have to be under at all times, I believe.

Open for all suggestions, Mr Noll is added.

McClatchey, IMHO, saved the PBC

57. NastyNate82 says:

General hockey question here, and this is aimed at any who can answer this as I’m pretty new to the game. Why is it a big deal for a winger to change wings? I guess this question is kind of rooted in Ovi switching wings this year and much being made of it. Another question I have is this: if you’re a right-handed shot, would you often play left-wing so your stick is to the center of the ice? This obviously wouldn’t be true for every wing, since there aren’t 50% RH shots and 50% LH shots. Just a question I had in regards to Iginla possibly being moved and in light of some other wings on other teams being moved as well.

58. Joni says:

The trick is to make friends with another parent who is watching the game on their mobile device.

59. TJ says:

Uhh… did anyone see that UCLA hired Steve Alford as their new head coach?

Wow; did not see that one coming

60. Sarah says:

Yeah I would’ve been fine with Iggy 3rd line. Even he didn’t sound too enthusiastic re LW….

There are few people in sports I dislike more than Steve Alford. And to think he is now part of the house and lineage of the great John Wooden.

62. Sarah says:

Just that LW not familiar to Iggy. Hopefully he’ll adjust ok. But it does reverse all your typical pass/shot orientation. But they move around a lot anyway, so fingers crossed.
    I’m more wondering who’s gonna QB the PP…Nisky? 4 Fs and a D?

To crib from Barkley’s comment about Dixon getting the extension, didn’t this guy lose in the NCAA? Who would have hired him if he had won? The Lakers?

He was a 3 seed that lost to 14 seed Harvard.

I was thinking the same thing, Attiba.

Howland takes the Bruins to three consecutive national semifinals including one championship game. Alford has had two of his teams be three seeds and lose to the 14th seed in the first round,

*Arriba* Can blame that on the IT crowd!

I missed the first period. What happened to Crosby?

68. Sarah says:

In my experience players I’ve known say it is more sending and receiving passes ….but yes shooting on the off wing can be much easier.

69. Sarah says:

Puck to the chops

Thanks, Sarah.

71. Sarah says:

Ouch ….Kunitz….

72. Sarah says:

FIVE??? Oy.

73. Sarah says:

And a game.

But not me. i LOVE the IT Crowd. Now that they fixed the blog.

75. TK39 says:

I may be looking at it through black and gold goggles, but did it look like there was mutual contact on the Kunitz hit? I’m not saying it wasn’t a penalty, but it seemed like there were some other things going on there to give him a 5 and a game…

76. Sarah says:

Honestly I thought incidental contact and the guy did not seem prepared. Shoulder to shoulder. The hit on Duper the other day was No Call.
    This is 5 and a game.
    Shanny, pick up the white courtesy phone…..

77. TJ says:

Oh give me a break DK. That call on Kunitz was horrible. Boarding; no way. Guy was sent flying by a good shoulder hit. He wasn’t close to the boards. Ridiculous commentary such as right call on Kunitz is part of the problem; no one knows what boarding is. I rarely disagree with you but this was just a bad comment. No idea how you could honestly say that was boarding when they were that far away from the boards to begin with. Not sure what your watching.

78. TJ says:

And I guarantee that Vokoun was giving it to the official which is why that face off was delayed for a second and you see the official lecturing Vokoun. I hope Vokoun doesn’t read DK’s tweets.

79. TJ says:

I was pissed to see Kunitz get a 5 and a misconduct and then to actually sign on and read DK tweeting it was absolutetly the right call. I think I’m more fired up now. What game are you watching.

80. TJ says:

Next time a Pens player gets leveled and makes contact with the boards he should lay there and draw a 5 minute penalty. Such a garbage league when it comes to officiating.

81. Sarah says:

I missed the tweet – DK said Good Call?
    Oy. As my gramma used to say.

Again – what is today’s definition if Boarding??

Shanny? Garage League.

DK: Doesn’t matter. It wasn’t called boarding. It was called checking from behind, and it’s absolutely the right call. Right shoulder between the numbers.

82. Sarah says:

I did not hear what the call was – thought boarding per comments here.

Still disagree DK ….saw it shoulder to shoulder, not from behind.

Agree to disagree.

83. TJ says:

Give me a break DK; I’ve got this on DVR; its shoulder to shoulder

84. TJ says:

I guess Reporters don’t root and they don’t like to admit when they are wrong

85. MadTurk says:

Like + + + + + + + +

86. TK39 says:

I’ll have to watch it again. If you give it the “eyeball test” it did look like some kind of penalty but to see it slowed down, it looked like Bailey was making a play too. Not sure if that matters.

I was looking at it from a boarding perspective but if they replay it I’ll watch where the shoulder makes contact. I generally trust DK’s judgment. I just don’t know if I would have called it quite that severely since Bailey didnt appear to be defenseless. Watching it for “checking from behind” may change my mind.

Officials don’t get the benefit of slowing it down though.

87. TJ says:

43.1 Checking from Behind – A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.

43.2 Minor Penalty – There is no provision for a minor penalty for checking from behind.

43.3 Major Penalty – Any player or goalkeeper who cross-checks, pushes or charges from behind an opponent who is unable to protect or defend himself, shall be assessed a major penalty. This penalty applies anywhere on the playing surface (see 43.5).

I beg to differ on the check from behind call; the player knew Kunitz was there, he was leaning into Kunitz to keep Kunitz from the puck. What a joke

88. TJ says:

READ 43.1; watch the play and tell me this qualifies. JOKE LEAGUE

89. TJ says:

Officials are great today; can’t see an interference, can’t see a player playing with a broken stick, can’t see too many men on the ice but they have the ability at full speed to call a 5 minute major and game misconduct on Kunitz. GARBAGE LEAGUE

I have officiated hockey, volleyball, basketball and football. By far the hardest is hockey. These refs are the best in the world often dealing with vague marching orders from the league and bringing their own view of hockey into the mix as well.

I think the story here is: coaches from Butler and VCU wanted nothing to do with the high expectations and lack of patience of UCLA.

92. MadTurk says:

2 to many players on the ice and no calls, numerous bad offside calls, interference non calls, This is one terrible officiated game. Really need to do something about the officiating if hockey is to grow. And yes most of the non calls have not favored us.

93. TJ says:

Don’t know who the official is that is down low in the offensive zone for the pens; but he lectured Vokoun after the boarding call and just let Carkner throw a punch while he’s 3 feet away. Guy is horrible.

94. MadTurk says:

I agree a terrible call.

Yeah, I think Vokoun was saying something. I’ll give NHL refs this. They don’t try to be the story of the game with dramatics like MLB refs. Drives me nuts with MLB refs.

96. TJ says:

97. Sarah says:

Voky!! Cooke!!!

98. TJ says:

I think he was being a little dramatic; you don’t lecture a veteran goalie for everyone to see like that. JOKE

99. Sarah says:

Interference?? glass blocked there….

Maybe. I think he knew he blew the call and resented Vokoun reminding him of that. Human nature.

101. TJ says:

Tripping at the Pens line not called as well.

MALKIN WITH A HUGE HIT!

102. TJ says:

That hit by Malkin was more of a penalty than the Kunitz hit

103. TJ says:

With as dramatic as Hamonic was I’m surprised it wasn’t a 5 min penalty on Neal

104. TJ says:

THERE WE GO!!!!!! KMA REFS!

105. TJ says:

Douglas Murray now has more points than Tanner Glass

106. Sarah says:

Lol!!!

107. TJ says:

Agreed.

You know what? I think the Pens are pretty good.

109. TJ says:

Drew; I think your right. Lose 2/3 of your top line and kill a 5 min penalty and a extended 5 on 3 and end up with a shutout win… Amazing!

Fire Bylsma!

110. MadTurk says:

What a nice win under adverse conditions today Go Pens!! First team to win every game in a month. Tied for second in longest win streak. Keep it going boys.

111. Sarah says:

Longest streak? Pens at 17 I believe….

DK: Yes, 1993.

112. MadTurk says:

I can understand missing a call or two in a game, heck happens every game. But tis game was terribly called no way from not seeing that.

113. MadTurk says:

Yes so we only have ourselves to beat now.

114. Sarah says:

Hmmm…by end of game Neal had switched to LW and Iggy back on RW.

115. TJ says:

In other news the Pirates extend the player development contract with the Curve through 2018.

Lets hope by 2018 the Curve will actually have developed some talent.

116. BillyBaduka says:

No beta, closing Safari fixes it on iPad

117. BillyBaduka says:

Good story. Thanks

Plus Butler is now in the Big East, not too shabby

Pens now have the first “perfect” month in NHL history.

120. Dom says:

Does anyone have an update on Fleury

121. TJ says:

Sabres have traded Jordan Leopold to the Blues for draft picks.

122. Pucknutz says:

Fire Blysma indeed!! LOL

Just wondering if Dan made any adjustments during the game or did the guys just suck it up and play thier hearts out, or maybe both??? Hmmmm.

Absolutly Amazing!!

hey Drew , they are fair to middlin or “pretty good” as you think. I like the way you “think”. lol

GO PENS

Thanks, but you think I think?

I just throw s*** out there.

Just like Bylsma.

124. TJ says:

Just read the ESPN recap of the game and found this….

“Chris Kunitz, the team’s second-leading scorer, was assessed a 5-minute major penalty and a game misconduct late in the second period for checking Islanders’ center Josh Bailey from behind. BAILEY INITIATED CONTACT, but Kunitz got the better of the play, sending the Islanders’ forward dangerously into the boards. Bailey did not return.”

Yep sounds like a check in the back to me.

I don’t want to get in the middle of this, but after the game the Fan report was the penalty was for boarding.

126. Pucknutz says:

Actualy no. I do not think you think any more than I think I think before either of us just throw s*** out there “just like Blysma”.

If you get my drift, and I think you do.

Wow all this thinkin, I need a beer!

127. Sarah says:

That is what I thought I heard also.

128. JD says:

DK never admits he’s wrong.

DK: Never. I’ve never, ever, ever admitted being wrong. Because I’m never wrong. I’m infallible, don’t you know?

129. Pucknutz says:

Yes, 1993 and I was one of the 70 thousand that were at that game.
    I think I can prove it because I think I have the ticket in a drawer some where.

Try Ballast Point’s Sculpin IPA.

EYE just did.

Explains a lot, huh?

131. Eric Bowser says:

whoa dude… I watched that hit on DVR, went back and paused it on the hit. Kunitz hit Bailey in the back shoulder… that’s a dangerous check anywhere, let alone that close to the boards.

He deserved the 5 and game but also wouldn’t surprise me if he gets a call from NHL for a one or two game suspension, it was that bad, imo.

132. Eric Bowser says:

- Another outstanding game by Tomas Vokoun to earn the third straight shutout.
    - Matt Cooke was the best skater on the ice, great effort on 5on3 PK
    - Great to see James Neal putting the biscuit into the basket.
    - Chris Kunitz absolutely deserved that 5-min major & game ejection. Dangerous hit.
    - Jarome Iginla looked pretty good in the 2nd half of the game, better on RW
    - really liked seeing Pascal Dupuis on point during PP, wicked slap shot, get him on #2 PP
    - Sidney Crosby takes puck to the face, had to get oral surgery – OUCH

133. cherokee23 says:

NHL.com boxscore shows penalty as “checking from behind”

134. cherokee23 says:

kinda surprising to hear about the oral surgery….was expecting the standard “upper body injury” . Guess it was so obvious, no sense in trying to hide it. Was expecting broken jaw or cheekbone type injury

135. Pucknutz says:

Eric, hate to disagree w/ya (na thats a lie. lol) on the Kunitz hit.
    From what I saw it was just a “hockey play”- hip sholder check, guy just was off balence and went into the boards nasty.
    8 outa 10 times on that type of hit the guy keeps his feet and just bangs the glass.
    5 min major and ejection – BS.
    Go PENS!

136. Pucknutz says:

Drew, can you say “ballast Point Sculpin IIPA” 3 times reel fast?

137. Pucknutz says:

If yo can-have another!!

138. Pucknutz says:

Stigy to Bob (not an exact quote) “Ya Bob you were one of the few guys to keep all your teeth”
    Bob: Whoa don’t say that, I still down here in the firing zone!

Announcers curse on a fellow! LOL

139. BillyBaduka says:

The penalty is warranted. This isn’t a case of a guy already at boards, facing ice, sees a guy coming then intentionally turning to knowingly and willingly take a hit in the back to play or protect puck.

That’s the spirit if the “intentionally turning” part of 43.1 rule cited below.

Kunitz and Bailey are pursuing the puck to the boards.

Kunitz is behind Bailey entire time. Kunitz never comes even with Bailey. The hit is in the back, not shoulder. It meets that criteria.

As puck goes to boards, Bailey turns to pursue and does look over shoulder and sees Kunitz and leans towards Kunitz to get position on him.

Kunitz puts shoulder into back.

It’s not a big hit. I don’t think the result was Kunitz’s intention. It doesn’t matter if it was an intentional.

Bailey and Kunitz knock skates a bit. I think this adds to Bailey’s impact with boards.

It wasn’t intentional but it was in the back and Bailey had a right to pursue the puck. It’s a good call.

It’s a dangerourous play, that’s why it gets called.

Enough rambling….

140. JaxBuc says:

While you’re in the mood of adding and correcting, how about “heroes,” not “hero’s.”

Dejan,

Love your tweets tonight. Things have to be said.

ZING!

Sorry guys. I was helping hubby finish up a small job. Just got some time to sit down and check the blog here, and it’s after 10. And yeah, I’m an old fart, Puckers :P

Panthers score with 27 seconds left to tie New Jersey, then win it 1:43 into overtime. And the Rangers are shutout in Montreal.

Are you kidding me??? Dejan agreed with the call?
    I thought he didn;t root for any team? He clearly was rooting for the Islanders ;)

You throw some pretty good sh*t out there Drew dahling ;)

I agree with Puckers here

Fantastic!

149. TJ says:

Best part is the moron on The Nightly Sports call just read the rule book on what constitues a BOARDING penalty. Seriously if your going to go on TV and profess to know sports at least know that it was a check from behind as noted in the box score and not BOARDING.

And as of 10:58pm the NHL site shows CHECK FROM BEHIND on Kunitz; not BOARDING.

150. TJ says:

As of 11PM the NHL.COM website lists the penalty as check from behind.

DK: That’s what the ref on the ice called it. That’s what it was.

151. Frankie says:

Is little Eddie on the bus?