Final: Pirates 3, Cubs 0

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (0-1) vs. Chicago Cubs (1-0)

Starters: LHP Wandy Rodriguez vs. RHP Edwin Jackson

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Garrett Jones, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  5. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  6. Neil Walker, 2B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Rodriguez, LHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

Comments

1. First PICK’EM of the season!!
    Let’s open the window, and as always this is just for fun and entertainment purposes.

Max “wager” is 100 units on any line.
    All “wagers” must be divisible by 5.
    Please reply in this box, makes it much easier for me to “book-keep” that way.

TODAY’S PICK’EM LINE
    What will Pirates pitches Wandy Rodriguez get in tonight’s game?
    WIN
    LOSS
    NO DECISION

Anyone can play, and everyone should try!
    What’ll ya have? What’ll ya have?

**The Window is on twitter, twitter.com/TheBuccoWindow, feel free to follow**

Thanks to all for playing and good luck!!

Biz asked me to put in 100 on the Over for him.

I’m still cogitating for myself.

Whoops, that should be 100 on the Win for Biz.

4. Joey Mellons says:

I will throw 35 units on Wandy getting a WIN tonight. 2013 Year of the Buccos.

5. gregenstein says:

For years, people complained that we didn’t have the players that a manager could just put the same lineup out there day in and day out.

Folks, now we have it!

6. For those kind enough to offer well-wishes, I’m happy to say my mother’s procedure went extremely well, with what really could be best described as an optimal outcome.

The downside is that she’ll be annoying me for many years to come, but I’ll take it.

Thanks again.

7. GREAT NEWS DK!!
    Hoping for a very speedy recovery!!

8. YOU…ER BIZROW, GOT IT!!

:-)

10. KJX says:

50 WIN

11. fellocolonial says:

50 NO DECISION

Wonderful news!

You mean you don’t exist just for us to annoy you?!

13. JMB says:

100 on the Win.

Thanks!

Book me for 50 on the No Decision, Senor Playoff. Gracias.

15. JMB says:

Happy to hear it!!

Great, wonderful news. Although not heart related, I’ve been through a similar experience with my father 3 times in the last dozen years. The best advice I got was the first time– have a family member there in the hospital as much time as possible as an advocate until she is released. Seriously. He was in what was supposed to be one of the best hospitals in the country the first time, and a nurse took me aside and told me to make sure we had someone there (her shifts were ending). We took that advice to heart ever since, and my Dad’s still around and doing well for being 89.

17. PetroSteel says:

GREAT NEWS DK!!!

Now all we have to do now is just sit back and relax and wait to hear the na sayers complain about today’s Bucs lineup!!! :)

HOORAY!!!!!!!

ZING!

20. Karen22 says:

That’s just goose-pimply news! I’m very under the weather today, and it took this to make me smile! God bless! :)

21. PetroSteel says:

I’m all in… 100 on Wandy getting the win!!!

Thanks Playoffs by 2012!

22. Mike A. says:

Very good news, indeed.

100 units on the win! Go Wandy! Go Bucs!

24. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Great news DK. Best thoughts, prayers and wishes to you and your mother.

Awesome news. I can completely relate to the part about her annoying you. I get the same thing on an almost daily basis. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Great news.

27. Dom says:

75 LOSS

28. Dom says:

Again, what’s the logic of Jones at #2 and Walker at #6? Why don’t they just switch those two around?

29. Brad, Indiana PA says:

No Snider? What’s up with that? All I got.

At least after today there may not be many more highlights of guys bobsledding to first base.

Dom:

The Cubs announcers the other day liked Jones in the 2 spot. They thought he would get more fastballs to hit with McCutchen and Alvarez following him.

I’ve seen a few lineups this year with some power guys in the top 2 slots. Theory is potential for an early lead.

I don’t mind it, and I’m fairly certain the lineups will change throughout the year.

BTW, did your mother ask that you not give a prediction on her surgery?

:-)

Petro—don’t have to be a naysayer to complain about the lineup. Some who might otherwise be called “apologists” complain the loudest; no correlation at all. Haven’t you been paying attention to the Pens’ threads?

Fire Hurdle!

:-P

33. gregenstein says:

I’d rather they switch Marte and Walker.

34. I’d rather they switch Huntington with The Parrot.

35. tom p says:

I am sure the amazing Hurdle still has big plans for Snider.
    Maybe after Sanchez starts the season 0 for 8, he will give TS the start thursday, vs the lefty .

Hurdle is a tool, and now he is going to keep Jones in the 2 hole, to prove he is the boss.
    I cannot believe Nutting actually has seen enough of this clown to give him a contract extension.
    It’s not the small market status that will make it impossible for this club to ever win again, in my lifetime.
    No, it is much deeper than that unfortunately.
    It is because he has the wrong people, at all levels, making the decisions on player acquisitions , drafts, and trades.
    No way the Pirates will ever be even a 500 . club, with this current gang of Gibbons , at the helm.
    And this is coming from a fan of this organization, for over 40 years now.
    Rip Bob Nutting all you want for being cheap.
    His problem is, he is clueless when it comes to seeing NH, FC, and CH, will never, ever, ever, ever, get the team back to a playoff contending organization.

I GOT +100 ON PRAYERS ANSWERED !!!! :D

I would rather they switch Huntington with a pierogie.
    Or a cardboard cutout !

I’m really surprised we haven’t heard Hurdle use pitch type/protection to justify Marte at leadoff.

I think if there is any truth to the hypothesis, leadoff is where Marte is going to get the most balls to hit. Nobody wants to walk the first batter.

So, is Hurdle the tool for not playing Snider, or is Huntington the tool for acquiring him in the first place?

I am not going to bet tonight, but I do want to collect the +100 for everyone’s prayers being answered for DK and his Mom.

Now we need her to get a full, speedy recovery so she can “bug” him ! ;)

I hope a recent trend is reversed tonight.

In recent years, the Pirates dont win too often on Buc Night.
    Tonight is a Buc Night.

May Wandy be good.

42. My bad, should have kept my mouth shut. Sorry, couldn’t help it on that one.

For me—75 on the No Decision.

Thanks, Playoffs.

I thought Gibbons was in Toronto.

45. Pucknutz says:

Happy news – we like happy news!

I don’t follow the metrics like you, NMR, but isn’t the pitch type/protection theory somewhat of a myth? It seems I heard that debunking once, anyway.

I found it interesting that broadcasters are debating how much advanced metric statistics should be incorporated into telecasts. I noticed WGN is using likelihood of runs scoring in certain situations (eg % a run scores with runners at first and third and one out, etc). I think Len Kasper is into it. I haven’t seen a White Sox game yet so unsure what Hawk is doing, although I think I could take a good guess.

A quick look at weather (and I know the interweb is not always accurate) shows Minneapolis at 43 degrees for their matinee game while Pittsburgh is at 37 degrees right now and playing a night game!

AW-you should have went tonight, as well. I’m sure it will be toasty there.

48. Sarah says:

All best thoughts DK!

Ha, yeah, I don’t personally buy into the theory. Just trying not to ruffle feathers since I know some live by it.

You bring up an excellent point about the metrics, though. Really interests me. There is such a huge knowledge gap (I mean this in the simplest sense, not saying one side is better than the other) between those that follow the metrics and frankly the majority of everybody else that broadcasters have a fine line to walk.

I couldn’t imagine my Dad giving a crap about Starling Marte’s first-pitch swing%, but personally feel that kind of thing would be interesting to follow.

I’d say there are enough outlets for stat heads to get their fix. Keep the broadcasts in traditional terms.

50. tom p says:

Well from what i have seen of Snider in a Pirate uniform, he just doesn’t have it, to be a consistent major league hitter.
    Too slap happy of a swing, to be a good hitter, let alone, one that shows consistent power.

The part i don’t understand is Hurdle gave Snider consistent ab’s in ST, and played Jones in RF 2 games, at the most.
    They are both eggheads, and both should not have returned in 2013.
    I am talking about NH and CH, not TS and GJ.

51. Dom says:

Glad to hear it.

Sheesh. Playoffs line shoulda been Number of Hammies Pulled.

Maybe that’s why Snider & Tabata aren’t playing – it’s hammy pulling weather.

Hahaha, I had a joke about heating pads, Snider, and Tabby but would’ve butchered it.

55. Pucknutz says:

100 NO Decision

56. BillyBaduka says:

Lol!

Glad to hear it DK!

I was thinking that Jackson is the kind of hard thrower lacking great command that would strike out six or seven tonight but also serve up enough fat one’s to get touched up for a few runs.

Looked at what he did against us last year…7 IP 3 H 1 2B 2 HR 5 K

Couldn’t have guessed much better than that.

58. pants-n-at says:

Playoffs:

Put me down for 100 on the win

Thanks.

Go Bucs

59. Karen22 says:

50 on the WIN. Wishful thinking.

60. pants-n-at says:

I just got caught up on this thread…so let me say to DK….glad to hear good news about your mom. Prayers answered!!

61. Karen22 says:

ZING!

62. TCB says:

50 on No decision.

63. Kevin says:

Everything on the win please, mr playoffs sir.

64. JoeBucco says:

Hey everyone, been away too long. Crazy time at work lately, but only a couple of weeks away from launching this big 3 year long ecommerce project. Until then, the 80 hour plus work weeks will continue. But soon I will have time to hang out and chat it up like I usually do (used to).

Let’s Go Bucs!

65. MadTurk says:

Wonderful to hear, we didn’t think we had enough people to annoy you around here.

66. Brad, Indiana PA says:

Which came first… the tool or the shed?

67. I was praying for her today, Dejan. I even prayed for you.

Fortunately, neither came back “Return to Sender!”

So glad she will be bugging you again soon!

68. John Lease says:

Very good news! And your mother doesn’t annoy you, she’s just giving helpful hints and reminders! :)

69. John Lease says:

I’m going with a little from column A and a little from column B.

So glad to hear DK!

71. Dejan,

They put your head on the body of someone wearing a suit on those newspaper boxes!!

They should have picked a better body!!!!

72. TJ says:

50 NO DECISION

73. Josie the Bucco!

Welcome back!

74. TJ says:

Good News DK. Hope for a speedy recovery. For some reason you remind me of Ray Romano; and you saying about your mom annoying you makes me think of his mom across the street.

Be happy to have her.

I was wondering about you, Joe. Look forward to your posts.

76. Hey Oshkosh b’gosh!

Thanks for hanging in there so long with the Duke logo. I was surprised it stayed more than a couple days . . . . . . . but it always cheered me up when I came here and saw Duke represented.

More than once when I got here, I would think: “How did my posts already get here. I don’t remember being here earlier.” Then I would realize it was you, not me.

I totally understand you now selling out to Wisconsin——they gave you a better shoe contract, didn’t they?——but I seriously appreciated seeing Duke there for a lengthy time.

Thanks!!

77. Excellent. Thank God.

Maybe it will reappear in football season!

79. JRay3 says:

Well taking a look at the numbers in his career, Wandy Rodriguez achieves a decision 72% of the time. 85-88 a total of 173 decisions in 204 games. I think the Bucs bats wake up versus Edwin Jackson.

I will take 50 on the WIN.

Thanks and go bucs!

80. Chuck H says:

If I were a good pitcher, playing for a team in major league baseball, and was told that I had just been traded to the Pirates, I would consider retirement instead. The Pirates don’t score many runs because they don’t hit with men on base, as other teams do. It would scare me to think that I would have to pitch near perfect to keep the opposition from
    scoring even one run-probably enough to win the game. But anyway, GO BUCS!!!

81. JoeBucco says:

Man, it’s been one game. Step down from the ledge. :)

We get back to .500 tonight. (speaking of overreacting)

82. stuart66 says:

Playoffs

75 Pesetas on a WIN for Wandy

Stuart

83. JoeBucco says:

Thanks guys, I still linger sometimes silently, but now that we’re in season, I’m sure I’ll be around a bit more.

John, I’m still spending a lot of days in Wisconsin myself hanging out at the motorcycle shop in Milwaukee. I plan on hitting the Bucco series in Miller Park in a few weeks.

84. stuart66 says:

Triple +

Stuart

85. Chuck H says:

I was referring to last season, buthead.

86. I would be embarrassed in football season!!

87. stuart66 says:

Playoffs

Put my 75 pesetas on a win for Wandy. I posted this earlier, but in the wrong place!

Stuart

88. If you are going to call someone “butthead”, at least learn how to spell it!!

If you misspell it, it makes you sort of the center of that butthead!

89. Jason81 says:

I’ll go with 50 on a No Decision.

90. stuart66 says:

Tom,

I think Hurdle is feeling more “safe” that Neal. Hence, Neal isn’t able to insist that Clint play Snider.

Personally, I’d like to see Snider have a chance to play regularly. He hasn’t had that chance yet. Not that I favor Neal over Clint; I think both should be gone.

Stuart

So Chuck, if your contract that would guarantee you, let’s say $5 million per year, would follow you to Pittsburgh – you would still just walk away and retire?

And you realize, you won’t be getting that $5 million.

All this because the Pirates don’t score enough and you would be scared.

If I were a wide receiver & I was traded to the Steelers I would just retire. They’re just going to hand it off 50 times a game anyway & that bumpkin of a quarterback’s been around 5 years and he still can’t stop throwing it to the other team. I’m just going to waste my career away blocking or covering a punt that’s sure to come after a 3 and out.

Oh, I’m sorry. That was 1974.

very good

94. Ruffian706 says:

40 on NO DECISION

Go Bucs!

Don’t know every situation but last season Bucs scored with 1st and 2nd no outs 60% of the time, right at league average.

With RISP Bucs scored 461 runs Reds scored 464

96. Eric Bowser says:

Great news all around!!!

97. JoeBucco says:

I come back for one day and get called a butthead (though technically I was called a buthead) by someone griping about how bad the Pirates are. Maybe a buthead is not offensive at all, but rather just someone who interjects quite a bit. But I digress… shoot, there I go again.

Ahhh, good to be home. ;)

98. doc says:

People get confused and agitated from medications, pain and sleep cycle disruption. Having a familiar face can calm them down. You got great advice there AW…. so it must have been a good hospital

99. doc says:

all of the above? ( and for many other reasons….)

:-)

100. doc says:

good ideas all!

101. Great to hear that DK! Hoping for a speedy recovery.

102. Playoffs!! Great to see I didn’t miss any of the windows, yet. I was at the opener, so wouldn’t have had the chance to send in a “wager.”

I’ll go with 50 on the win, please. Thanks, and Let’s Go Bucs!!!

103. mlrgenuine says:

50 win , Please

104. At least you’re not a Beavis…welcome back.

105. tdb1977 says:

100 on the no decision…hope I make it!

106. tdb1977 says:

Thanks Window! Glad I made it :)

107. Window is officially closed. Thanks to all who played.
    GOOD LUCK!!

108. No problem. GOOD LUCK!!

109. Ghost says:

Actually, there was a pitcher traded to the Pirates a few years ago who did exactly that – retire, rather than play for them. Can’t remember who it was right at this minute. And Derek Lee essentially did the same last year, when the Pirates were the only team that wanted him. Then, there was Raul Mondesi’s unique/clever/bizarre way of escaping the Pirates…
    On the other hand, Doug Mienkiewicz really wished he could have finished out his career here. And here is where A.J. apparently wants to finish (hope A.J. gets treated better than Dirty Doug was). So it takes all types.

Darren Lewis quit. He was an outfielder. Traded for Chad Hermansen in 2002.

Wow. Talk about a House Vig.

1:1 odds on the “money”, and a 1 in 3 chance to win.

Too rich for my blood.

And evidently, too late.

112. Ghost says:

Thanks. Didn’t know that. But I’m thinking of one much more recently. Not Matt Morris, either (who was a class act, by the way, in declining to take any more of his guaranteed $10 mil. contract, that year). Even more recent. It’ll come to me…

113. JoeBucco says:

Anyone know anything about new blackout rules? I’m in Columbus, and Root on my Directv is blacked out. Never had that happen in previous years.

I have MLB.tv as well, but the game is blacked out there because apparently the game is televised as part of the home market.

I’m one non-happy dude right now.

114. Reading says:

There we go. Off to a good one.

115. if only this were real…The Window would clean up…

Ghost, are you thinking of Gil Meche? Retired from the Royals turning down his $12M contract.

Fire Jay Bell!

Of course your mom had an optimal outcome.

Look how far we extended her prayer circle!

Good. For. Her.

So know you will continue to have TWO of us to annoy you.

Three if Thunder is in the house.

119. Reading says:

Living in the Astros and Rangers market, the Pirates broadcast team only gets backed out when they play those teams. Forced to then watch the Houston/Texas broadcast with their announcers. Try 659 instead of the MLB 700 channels.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Oh wait. Wrong thread.

121. Ghost says:

No. This guy was definitely traded to the Pirates. Only about two(?) years ago… Surprised nobody but me remembers this.

122. Ghost says:

This came up the other day. Someone else was telling us about the blackout in Columbus, which is closer to Cinci and Cleveland than it is to Pittsburgh.

123. confuzzled says:

OK, Bucco Brigade…how do you add an avatar on here? I swear I’m not seeing something.

124. JoeBucco says:

Yea, I usually get Root on 659 just fine, always have every year. I pay for the extra regional sports package to get it, but I don’t have to buy MLB Extra Innings.

But right now is an MLB Extra Innings free preview and I can’t get either home or away feed on there as well, since it is blacked out on both of those too.

And on MLB.tv, which I paid a lot for as well, it is blacked out because I am in the home team’s territory.

Something isn’t right, and Directv told me basically to call MLB.

@DK – could you send me uncle Bud’s phone number please?

Ole Matt talked about it, but he didn’t give up one red cent in the end as I recall.

This is all I could find.

(CNN) — The retirement of the pirate leader Mohamed Abdi Hassan, also known as “Afweyne,” has generated much media coverage, but the real significance of his announcement is the indication it gives of how Somalia’s pirates currently view their business model. It appears that hijacking vessels in the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden is no longer seen as a relatively risk-free affair.

That’s what I thought.

How about Chad Qualls ? He retired the side. Once.

True. On Monday. In 5 pitches.

130. Officer Mancuso says:

Hopefully Nutting gets the word. Meanwhile, Wandy struck out swinging. DFA!

131. John Lease says:

A lead!

I’m satisfied for tonight.

Hipster!

I have nothing else.

133. JRay3 says:

Just getting out of a work conference check things out and see Cutch gives the Bucs first lead of year and is 2 for 2 in the SB department. Wandy Rodriguez is dealing through six with a low pitch count.

I think Wandy will prove to be one of NH’s best moves by adding a solid starter to the rotation, what he has done for the back end, well we can debate that another day.

I thought Cutch was going to be injured on that stolen base attempt

135. Officer Mancuso says:

“Maybe a buthead is not offensive at all, but rather just someone who interjects quite a bit. But I digress… shoot, there I go again.” Great stuff Joe.

136. Officer Mancuso says:

Wandy’s putting in a fine appearance (jinx alert!) and the Pirates are averaging one half hit per inning.

137. Officer Mancuso says:

A sobering thought, bringing to mind Grady Sizemore. Demons, begone!

138. Officer Mancuso says:

Let’s take a starter who had a real confidence builder going, and leave him in till he gets eaten alive.

139. Reading says:

Implosion in progress.

Oh great. Tony Watson & his lame arm.

141. DemonDachshund says:

Whew.

You can hide a guy with a sore arm in spring training when every telecast doesn’t have a radar gun. Can’t do it now. Fastest pitch at 91. 3 or 4 mph have disappeared. Red flag. Nice comeback for Tony under the circumstances.

Lame Arm gets them out of it.

My wife calls me Lame Arm.

Well. Not Ar…

No. Not going there.

144. Nice outing for Wandy.

And Barmes has a hit before the third week of the season. Things are looking up.

One decision after another I didn’t get.

And they all worked.

Maybe Hurdle is a better manager than I am.

He must be single.

146. Officer Mancuso says:

If the Pirates are afraid to go to the one thing their GM has built well- their bullpen – game’s over.

Oops.

148. Baywatch says:

I LOVE seeing Wandy happy as a Pirate now! Good to see that smile on his face after Watson came back from the 3-0 count to get ‘em out!

149. Baywatch says:

Oy vey!

150. Baywatch says:

Anybody wonder why it is Edwin Jackson can be such a good pitcher – by many standards – but has been with 8 teams in 9 years? Bad breath? I mean it’s gotta be something weird.

This guy should have retired before he got here.

152. Officer Mancuso says:

Watson’s preseason was beyond terrible, but his box score tonight looks creditable.

Great job by Watson tonight, Officer. Key spot of the game.

Very Nice!

And fire Bylsma

155. Baywatch says:

Is anyone REALLY going to miss Joel Hanrahan’s let’s-see-how-hard-we-can-make-this close theatrics? NOT TONIGHT, BABY! :-)

Does this just automatically become the thread for The Americans ?

His start tonight may be an indication. He started out fine but quickly fell apart

158. Raise it, brethren and sistern! (sorry, just came from church)

160. MadTurk says:

More like limp *&^&

And the Root Sports telecast wasn’t as annoying as last year

162. 1 down, 81 more to go!!

The WIN gets the win for tonight’s PICK ‘EM.
    Thanks to everyone who played.
    TWO LINE THURSDAY for tomorrow’s game.

Here are the updated standings:
    Let me know if I made any mistakes. Thanks
    Jason81 ~ -50
    Dom ~ -75
    tdb1977 ~ -100
    Pucknutz ~ -100
    JMB ~ -100

163. MadTurk says:

It’s still early give them time.

164. doc says:

a broadcast without Neverette is as good as a win, which makes this win like sweeping a doubleheader

165. Baywatch says:

Lucky, you must be a Bucco Baptist, going to church on Wednesday!

166. tdb1977 says:

I’m in the hole!!!! :) :D

167. Baywatch says:

Ha Ha, Agreed Doc!

168. Not Baptist, but almost everyone else down here is. That or Church of Christ.

Pentecostal. Church any night. :P

169. Baywatch says:

True dat, TC. I mean Greg Brown was pointing out that even his no-hitter was tainted by wildness and walks. Hashtag Star Crossed!

170. Baywatch says:

Yeeeeeee-Ha! Y’all just clear yourselves off a spot and HAVE A FIT!!

171. tom p says:

Nice victory, and i see Gaby , Tabata, and Snider, still neck and neck for who will get the first hit of the season between them all.
    Have to go with Sanchez, since he was annointed a position with the starting 8, thanks to his torrid 4 weeks of spring training batting.

Can’t wait for Inge, after hitting 125. in his rehab assignment , to take Harrison’s job, due to the fact Josh hasn’t reached 35 years of age yet.