Final: Pirates 5, Diamondbacks 3

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (1-5) vs. Arizona Diamondbacks (5-1)

Starters: LHP Wandy Rodriguez vs. RHP Trevor Cahill

Time: 9:40 p.m.

Site: Chase Field, Phoenix

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Neil Walker, 2B
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Travis Snider, RF
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Rodriguez, LHP

Here’s the TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is sweating profusely.

Comments

We have a Snider sighting

2. JRay3 says:

Snider 0-7 .000
    Tabata 1-10 .100
    Jones 2-14 .143
    Sanchez 1-16 .063

Combined RF Choices (Jones in RF forcing Sanchez to play 1B):

4-47 .085

We keep this pace up we will all be clamoring for a Josh Bell, Jerry Sands, Alex Presley, Gregory Polanco, Andrew Lambo sighting.

I jest, but can somebody on the 25 man roster seriously step up and take hold of that position?

Interesting point

Legend making 3something MM
    Tabata signed for 16-17 million
    Gaby picked up for a comp pick plus 1.5 MM in draft money
    Snider was a high draft choice, NH has a fondness for him

Not counting Legend, he’s done it, but for the rest, NH’s stick is about as cold as his clubs

I would like to thank our Leadership Council for getting the game thread up.

5. DemonDachshund says:

The Bucs would be happy to hit .250 at this point.

I’d be pleased with the Mendoza line after this game

7. Naje says:

NCAA final… go Cards! 72-69… should be a great one.

At work, the latest buzz-spin is assigning a “Champion”

That just might work, although Nuttin assigning a “Dynasty” pretty much burned his pinkies

9. tdb1977 says:

Now that Pedro is back to the 6th hole, does he start to “light em up” and actually get a couple of hits tonight and possibly a home run? He seems to only be able to hit from the 6th hole.

Nooo, sorry, LETS GO BLUE ;-)

11. Naje says:

All good Biz. Enjoy the game…I’ll be walking to the my favorite local pizza place (passing about 15 other establishments along the way). Should be big fun.

12. DemonDachshund says:

They skipped having a scholarship player and are using walkons?

13. Boise Bucco says:

So is Snider the new Barajas where when he finally gets a hit we all say “WOO HOO! GO HOT ROD! A HIT!!!” and act like we’re all happy for him? He is in the 7th spot in the order and all.

When does “The Leadership Council” leave The Watchtower for the game? Their group is missing a female character to appeal to the female demographic. Maybe Lacey Collins can join the group-she lives in Arizona now.

I’m sorry, the whole concept sounds like something created by DC Comics Quite a group running that organization over there.

Obviously not a Michigan fan.

M Go Blue.

M

Not “let’s”

M

16. Boise Bucco says:

I want to bag on this Leadership Council thing soooo bad, but it’s Cutch, AJ and Grilli so I can’t bring myself to do it…

Unfortunately there are, like, six guys that applies to

18. TJ says:

We should sign Barajas again; he could have filled that female void…. he threw like a girl

19. Boise Bucco says:

1.Starling Marte, LF
    2.Rod Barajas, 2B
    3.Andrew McCutchen, CF
    4.Rod Barajas, 1B
    5.Rod Barajas, C
    6.Rod Barajas, 3B
    7.Rod Barajas, RF
    8.Rod Barajas, SS

…now that’s a 95-win lineup. Where’s my cloning machine

Its that PSU thing

Hey, I pull for PSU

Unless they are playing Pitt

21. Not to get involved in your convo, but I would rather see Tony Sanchez than throwing that money at Martin. I said so at the time, but people aren’t enamored with Tony.

I saw him before his 2 broken jaws and bad hand and I liked his defense.

Kratz and Jaramillo are career minor leaguers, so why not Sanchez?

I once worked for a corporate beast where I was on a “Committee for Committees.” No joke. Minutes were taken and everything. Organizations make people do a lot of silly things and good people do them-so I would not rag on those guys as well. I’m sure they will take it seriously but, man, does it sound silly.

Ali was singing it, thought the first word was LETS

Sorry, too much LETS go Bucs in my past, or LETS go Pens

Another Biz faux pax

Happens most every day ;-)

Leaders hit well. Leaders pitch well.

That’s leadership in baseball.

25. Good you’re walking.

Who’s pitt?

27. Naje says:

And probably won’t be seeing any couches on fire… ya’ know, like Lexington last year…:-)

28. Stuart says:

Is there an over/under tonight?

Stuart

29. Nobody is that ridiculous in Louisville, right?

:P

30. Fair question. Walker extension. Better backup for Barmes. Somebody not in decline. Probably not Lirano, but he gets a pass for a little while, which is only fair.

31. cherokee23 says:

Post of the season…..send it to Neal

32. Sorry for the late posting, The Window hit the gym after work.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends.
    We’re so glad you could attend.
    Come inside! Come inside!

Let’s open The Window, and as always this is just for fun and entertainment purposes.

Max “wager” is 100 units on each separate line.
    All “wagers” must be divisible by 5.
    Please reply in this box, makes it much easier for me to “book-keep” that way.

MULTI-LINE MONDAY!!!

LINE #1
    Total INNINGS PITCHED by Wandy Rodriguez in tonight’s game
    Line is 6.5

LINE #2
    Total HITS + WALKS + RUNS SCORED + RBI’s + HBP by Neil Walker in tonight’s game
    Line is 3.5
    Anyone can play, and everyone should try!
    What’ll ya have? What’ll ya have?

**The Window is on twitter, @TheBuccoWindow, feel free to follow**

Thanks to all for playing and good luck!!

33. TJ says:

Line 1

I’ll go 100 on the UNDER

Line 2
    I’ll go 100 on the OVER

I know I probably have these backward.

34. CONGRATS to ArribaWilver for getting the obscure Simpsons reference yesterday.
    Enjoy the 20 free points!!

Here are the updated standings:
    If I messed anything up, please let me know. Thanks.
    JRay3 ~ 325
    fellocolonial ~ -100
    Pucknutz ~ -100
    Dcpinpgh ~ -100
    Arriba Wilver ~ -130
    JMB ~ -200

35. TJ says:

Having Barmes on the leadership group is like giving an “A” to TK.

36. Why yes…look below :)

37. Playoffs, I would like to put 50 down on the UNDER for Line 1 and 50 on the OVER for Line 2. Walker hitting from the left side is due since half of his ABs so far have been at-um balls. Something has to start falling in for him. As for Wandy, I hope he goes more, but I think he may only get 6 innings tonight. Like I said, hopefully I’m wrong and he goes the distance. Let’s go Bucs!

38. Pucknutz says:

100 under
    100 under

Line 1 50/Under
    Line 2 50/Under

I think Arriba Wilver answered it but your reference was from the Simpsons. I promise I did not Google. One of the finest episodes of that venerable series-the one where Lisa is upset about her sexist Malibu Stacy doll.

Oh, just saw your post. Nevermind.

41. tdb1977 says:

100 on the over
    100 on the under a big 0 fer everything for walker

42. JaxBuc says:

Line 1: 100 farkleberries on the OVER
    Line 2: 50 euros on the UNDER

43. Boise Bucco says:

Let’s open up another losing season for wagering right now…

Line 1: 100 Under
    Line 2: 100 Under

Prove me wrong fellas.

44. JMB says:

Line1 100 over
    Line2 100 over

Thanks!

45. Eric Bowser says:

Line 1 – 100 points (under) – thinking 6 innings tonight
    Line 2 – 50 points (under) – thinking 1 walk and 1 run scored

46. The Gunner says:

Roberto

I don’t really remember what pitchers were available at that price. I just think they threw money away with Martin. The season is only one week old so maybe I am dead wrong about this. I like the idea of using those dollars toward an extension for Walker.

Anyway, that train has already left the station so all we can do now is hope for the offense to show some signs of life tonight. I like Pedro in the 6 hole, he can’t take the pressure batting cleanup.

20 free points and he’s still -130?

48. TJ says:

Tomorrow night you should tie the Pens in with the nightly wager.

Example: Will the Pirates have more or less hits than the Pens will have goals?

49. cosmo says:

100 over on wandy

50 over on neil

50. Stuart says:

Playoffs,

I will wager 75 pieces-of-eight on each of the overs.

Stuart

51. cosmo says:

How bout over/under on how many times pedro actually makes contact with the ball,
    including foul balls.

52. Joey Mellons says:

Line1 / 20 over
    Line2 / 25 over.
    Lets go buccos.

53. Stuart says:

As I recall JRay was lighting it up last year also. He is more formidable than the entire Pirate team!

Stuart

Stetson Allie hit another homer for WV.

He is the DH.

Maybe he can be our DH for the inter-league games.

I’m guessing The Leadership Council is an unpaid position.

56. My love of the Pirates is equally matched by my utter disdain and contempt for the Penguins.
    But I keep that to myself.
    Don’t want to mess with the vibe of the blog, ya know?

Colleges version of Kyle Starks?

58. I’m saving that one for later in the season

Line 1 100 OVAH
    Line 2 100 OVAH

I’ve been a sucker for going on 21 years

60. I love that episode.
    Then again just about every episode from season 3 – 7 is “pure gold.”

YOU GOT IT!!!

Look at AW’s avitar

62. Jason81 says:

Playoffs,

100 on the UNDER for Line 1.
    25 on the OVER for Line 2.

63. TJ says:

Nope they are all given their own debit cards that they can use for PBC business only which includes trips to strip clubs etc.

64. HAHAHAHA, farkleberries…

YOU GOT IT!!!

65. WELCOME BACK!!!

YOU GOT IT!!!

66. Thanks again for the Twitter shout out the other day.
    It is greatly appreciated.

YOU GOT IT!!!

67. JRay is the true blog shark when it comes to the daily lines.

68. I love the units you come up with, always makes me laugh.

YOU GOT IT!!!

69. Keep it real and keep it positive!!

YOU GOT IT!!!

70. The Window can be a cruel place sometimes…

71. Officer Mancuso says:

Were I Hurdle, I’d have put Wandy 6th in the lineup and Pedro 9th. Pedro, you don’t respond well to the pressure of the cleanup spot, so let’s see how this works. I know the man will get hot, awe people with his power for a few weeks, but someone needs to talk to his agent about “opportunity costs”. If all I’ve got on the shelf are Blackberries, and the stores that compete with me sell iPhones, Androids & Windows phones, I’m out of luck.

Go Bucs, seriously, show us something (other than HUGE work by AJ and good work from others).

72. Karen22 says:

Ditto! GO BLUE!

73. Frankie says:

50 under on both

74. Officer Mancuso says:

Sometimes you have to fire someone to communicate a new, higher level of “acceptable” performance. I’d DFA Pedro, give the press three days to ruminate, then fire the whole front office. But I’m just a fan.

75. The Gunner says:

What about keeping Kevin Correia? He won 24 games in 2 years here. Yeah, his wins weren’t always pretty but a W is a W. He signed a 2 year deal with the Minneapolis Twins for $10 million.

The Pirates purposely released this “Leadership Council” news when Dejan was on vacation.

77. Karen22 says:

50 each line on the UNDER.
    And as usual, I want to be wrong!

78. Karen22 says:

Bring him up! That’s double the Pirates’ total!

Yeah, but his Twitter’s not on vacation.

80. Karen22 says:

It must be part of “the process.”

+ 100 units

I just finished reading the Trib

The Leadership Council consists of 5 members and 5 alternates, that is 10 of 25 players

Pretty much like a state government???

If Kyle isn’t behind this piece of work, don’t know who else could have come up with it

Do they have a poster somewhere?

Thank God.

84. fellocolonial says:

Line 1 Under 100
    Line 2 Over 100

Wonder who takes the minutes ?

86. fellocolonial says:

Line 1 Under 100
    Line 2 Over 100

87. OZ says:

Line1: Under

Line2: Over

Thanks window.

88. SJB says:

Your utter disdain and contempt for the Penguins?

Sorry if my asking is out of line but…WTF is your problem?!

Actually no, I’m not sorry if it’s out of line. Bite me.

And he’s extra dangerous when he’s actually at the game.

90. Officer Mancuso says:

By the way, I’d fire Hurdle too. There should be no place for anyone who’s made excuses fo owners to hide.

91. The Gunner says:

I know Correia didn’t want to come back but I am sure there was a Kevin Correia type who nincompoop Neal could have gone after for about the same price.

It really doesn’t matter now, we need to get this offense jump started tonight. Wandy is capable of keeping us in the game. Maybe Pedro will come alive tonight.

92. SJB says:

That’s what I was wondering. He’s either a bitter Flyers/Rags/other fan, or one of those miffed Pirates fans who hates the fact that the Pens have stolen their thunder and popularity…the thunder that’s been missing since ’92 for very good reason.

Nothing more annoying that a Pittsburgher who hates on one of the local sports teams for no good reason. We have plenty more reasons to be upset and disdainful about the Pirates but what’s wrong with the Penguins other than they win? Would love to hear the reasoning behind his “contempt and disdain”.

93. Yes, in America we are free to like one team and not like another.
    I don’t care for the Penguins, never have, but I keep that to myself.
    Because heaven forbid I mention it it (see above), I get awesome comments like “bite me.”

94. Officer Mancuso says:

This is how my Fortune 100 employer operates. Inexplicably, the Pittsburgh pro baseball club gets passes from normal workplace rules.

95. Bob Hasis says:

I really am at a loss of words, relative to this “thing” called a Leadership Council, to understand it. Who conceived such an idea?

Then Biertempfel quotes Martin who says, “It’s a good way to simplify things. . . . . . . . .”

With ten new opinions, where is the simplification, and what matters will be open to discussion? Where does CH’s opinion enter?

I think it is a mirage – a phony façade – to disguise incompetence. What about the seven coaches who are paid to advise CH? And KS?

This is management under false pretenses.

I would give them ten opinions amongst those participants on this blog who will make far more sense, and achieve better results.

They should focus on what the heck the strike zone looks like, or when to lay down a bunt when the third baseman is giving you 70 feet in which to be successful.

What do I know – I’m just a humble blogger!

96. SJB says:

Simply not liking doesn’t explain your contempt and disdain. Did Mario steal your GF? Clarify please.

DK: This is ridiculous. Let’s end it right here.

97. JRay3 says:

Just finished watching BP and got a ball signed by Pedro Alvarez, I told him tonight is his breakout night and he gave a smirk. Feeling good here at Chase.

Want to get in on tonight so here goes:

Line 1 – 100 on OVER, Dbacks sitting a few regulars tonight

Line 2 – 50 on the UNDER, watching Walker in BP his swing didn’t look all that comfortable compared to some others.

Time to snap this skid…Let’s Go Bucs!

98. Officer Mancuso says:

The Emeror’s new clothes is a fitting tale.

99. WOW, relax man.
    Didn’t realize I had to think exactly like you.
    Sorry about that.

I’m not from Pittsburgh, never lived there and neither has anyone in my family.
    So no Pittsburgh team will ever be my “home team.”
    My father grew up idolizing Roberto Clemente, Willy Stargell and Steve Blass in that order.
    He passed his love of the Pirates down to me (for better or worse).

As a hockey fan (and someone who played from the time he was 4 and played for 2 colleges) I loved watching Mario play.
    But I was never a fan of the Penguins.
    At this point I really don’t pay all that much attention to hockey anymore.

I don’t know why my personal allegiances or dislike of any one team has to be taken as a personal attack.
    Because it isn’t one at all.
    I don’t come on here and try to “troll” anyone.
    99% of the time I only talk about the Pirates.

So relax, just cause I don’t care for the Penguins doesn’t mean I have a personal vendetta against you or anyone else on this blog.

And with that, I think I’ll just step away for the rest for the evening.

Good luck to all who played tonight, and if my comments have offended you then I sincerely apologize.

100. Need a unit amount. Thanks.

101. Great. You’ve started on the hard stuff and the game hasn’t even started yet.

:P

102. DemonDachshund says:

100 on each OVER please.

103. JRay3 says:

Some quick notes from the ballpark. Alvarez and Snider wereripping the cover off the ball in BP, if they could only carry that over to the game. For a team that has lost four straight they seemed very loose, a lot of laughing and fun during warmups, they don’t look tight.

Russell Martin was very friendly with the Buc fans chatting it up and there are quite a few in attendance. Jeff Karstens is here with the team, looking forward to getting him back in rotation as I believe he would be upgrade over Locke.

Was watching Jay Bell and he kept close to the cage, he better with this start.

Looking forward to watching Wandy tonight hope he builds off of first start.

104. Why does it matter so much to you?

I don’t like the Penguins.

I don’t like the Flyers either.

I also don’t like the Lakers, bee stings, stubbing my toe, and sunburns.

Just chill, this is America, we can all like and dislike whatever we want to. I’ve got nothing against you or anyone else here.

If you want to dislike me because I “hate” your favorite hockey team, then so be it.
    I don’t hate you or the fact that you root for someone different than I do.
    Why get all hostile about it?

105. bman says:

@Playoffs:

Line 1: 50 UNDER
    Line 2: 50 UNDER

106. Enjoy the game!!!

YOU GOT IT!!!

107. Lad9 says:

Playoffs I will take the under on line 1 for 75 and the over on line 2 for 50. Thank you!

108. SJB says:

Sorry but maybe you should have thought before coming onto a Pro Pittsburgh sports blog and announcing your unabashed hate of one of it’s teams. Usually people here will talk about various topics that relate to all the local teams and aren’t just Pirates fans. Except Leefoo that is. ;)

I don’t understand how you would be stunned by someone’s reaction. I certainly wouldn’t blog on some other cities sports blog and speak of my hate for one of their teams and not expect a similar response. For instance; I wouldn’t go onto Phillies site and tell everyone I have a contempt and disdain for the Flyers or Eagles and not expect to be attacked.

I kinda feel bad about it but then again…I don’t. Especially since you still haven’t explained why the degree of vitriol Could have said you simply don’t like the Penguins but you took it to a whole different level. My Dad didn’t like hockey either but he didn’t have (and I’ll say it again) “contempt and disdain” for the Penguins. Did I miss something. I mean; are they secretly Nazi’s or something?

Now THAT’S funny!

The Pens can clinch the division with a win tomorrow.

Give it a rest, SJB. You were out of line.

112. JD says:

Playoffs – I’d like to play for the 1st time this year. In optimistic. 50 on the over for both.

113. Eric Bowser says:

1-0 Pirates
    - Marte leads off with single
    - Disappointing 3-0 count dissolves into a flyout to LF by Walker
    - A missile down the 3B line by McCutchen to score Marte from 1B.

114. Eric Bowser says:

holy crap… Martin walks and now steals 2B

115. Eric Bowser says:

What is this…. Pedro walks, bases loaded.

JRay with a keen eye on batting practice.

117. Eric Bowser says:

call an ambulance, my heart can’t take this…

TRAVIS SNIDER… first pitch swinging and drives in 2 runs…

3-0

THREE to NOTHING

118. JRay3 says:

Must have been all those shoutoits in BP. Just trying to pass along the positive mojo and have the Bucs post similar record while I’m in attendance as they did for you last season.

Travis Snider 2 RBI single!!! I said he was ripping ball in BP.

119. JohnH says:

Let’s go Bucs!!!

Someone please remind me to buy Spike Albrecht a beer when he turns 21.

121. JHadar says:

Let’s just hope that this is the offense getting out of its funk in a big way. 90% of this game is half mental.

122. Milo’s money looking good so far, but Louisville is a good second-half team.

Naje is probably not excited right now, unless the pizza is extra good tonight.

Bucs need to build on that 3-spot and JRay as positive presence.

BILL Nutting……….

17 points. Amazing.

Snider proves the “Leadership Council” really works!

Jamie Dixon would have never given Spike Albrecht a second look.

128. Thank you for fulfilling your civic duty and “attacking” me for saying something you deemed to be unpopular.

I’m sorry my personal opinions bother you so deeply.

I’m sorry you feel that unless I speak and write exactly what you want to hear and read that I should then be ‘attacked” for my words.

I’m sorry that just because someone else has disdain and contempt for your favorite team, that you feel compelled to “attack” that person.

It was never my intention to anger anyone here. I’m sorry that you can’t see that.

Again, I have no ill will or personal animosity towards you or anyone else on this blog. I’m sorry that you feel the need to make things personal with me.

129. Reading says:

The lead has lasted more than one-half inning. A franchise record.

Louisville making up the deficit pretty quickly.

It’s what they do.

Good game.

133. JohnH says:

I hope so. staying up late for a lose sucks. wins are worth being tired

The best thing about the tournament ending tonight:

Won’ t have to see another Lyndsay Lohan promotion and won’t have to hear “a tradition unlike any other.”

I wonder is Steven Adams thinks he will go ahead of Trey Burke in the lottery?

I expect Burke to own the second half.

136. Eric Bowser says:

Well, I took the under for Wandy…. sucks he’s hurt….

137. Not good to see Wandy walking around like that.

Let’s hope it’s just a cramp.

139. Hopefully it is only a cramp that can be remedied. The bullpen will be taxed tonight. Never a good thing.

140. Eric Bowser says:

makes sense to me…

Not everyone has to like hockey, it just surpised me.

141. JRay3 says:

Just when all was going relatively smoothly…time for the pen to carry 6+ innings and I was feeling really good about tonight and Wandy was dealing tonight. Really hope nothing serious reported.

Going to need a full team effort the rest of this one.

142. 99.9% of the time I never mention anything about the Penguins.

It will 100% of the time from now on.

143. radio wave says:

I cannot believe this guy even made the team. He will have to equal what he did in LA the other night.

Boy I thought that was a Denny’s Grand Slam when it left the bat. Wow.

145. Lucked out of that sac fly. Pedro’s mistake cost us a run. Now only a 1 run game. Finish this inning Jeanmar, buddy!

Oh, Jeanmar. That was served on a platter

When the system was flooded, who let Jeanmar on the ark ?

148. Tie game and now is the time that they will begin striking out like crazy.

149. Woomer says:

When I saw the line at the top of the blog:
    Pirates (1-5) vs. Diamondbacks (5-1)
    It made me think of Jim Morrison’s lyrics in the song “5 to 1″ –
    “Five to one and one to five; no one here gets out alive”
    …and made me wonder if he was foreshadowing the Pirates’ 2013 season.

Tim Hardaway Jr!!

151. Night all. I hope to wake and see that they won, but not getting a warm fuzzy feeling at this point with the bullpen in there and the offense going back to sleep after they think they have the game won in the first inning again. Go Bucs!

152. Bob Hasis says:

First order of business for the “Leadership Council” is to recommend that Pedro be benched.
    Yeah, right! But they should you know, if they have any credibility.

This night is deteriorating rapidly on multiple fronts.

154. JRay3 says:

Marte with hustle triple taking extra base on Dback LF who took time to ball, time for Cutch do to do some damage.

Do you know who the ump was Berto ?

I checked, it was Marty Foster. Wanted to make sure he got “credit”.

I think college hoops has to get rid of that rule allowing the coaches to call timeouts. It kills defensive effort..

158. JRay3 says:

Justin Wilson reached 98 on gun with blistering fastball, than mixes in 79-80 mph shar slider, just filthy when he has control.

Dbacks going to their pen early following 11 inning game should balance out pens rest of series.

159. RobertoForever says:

Thanks! He sure does deserve the credit.

The pitch was a breaking ball from RHP Joe Nathan, that ended up low and way outside. Meaning Mr. Foster can’t even claim he thought it went across the plate at some point.

Wow just wow.

Sorry, Milo. That would’ve been a nice payout.

As Eddie Felson said in The Hustler: Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

The better team won. And led by a classy coach. It’s not everyday a guy can have a sordid affair with another man’s wife on a table after hours in a restaurant, pay for the abortion, be extorted by her & have his wife look like she still cares about the game. Quite the comeback story.

Yeah, it was pretty ballsy of CBS showing her. Hopefully his horse, Goldencents, doesn’t win the Derby.

He won Santa Anita, didn’t he ? And made the Hall Of Fame. Quite the roll.

If they hold on, the scorer needs to award the win to Justin Wilson.

165. Steelag70 says:

This is the kind of game I have been waiting for! Let’s go Bucs! Hope Wandy is ok.

166. Bob Hasis says:

Two things; Pedro’s arm is a howitzer, and I have confidence in his accuracy. Secondly, I do not know why a “closer” MUST start the inning. Melancon was in such easy control of the D’Backs in the eighth, why not let him start the ninth.

If he falters , then use your Grilli.

167. Bob Hasis says:

Agree completely

168. JRay3 says:

I was just thinking that myself…great point I hope they do.

169. Steelag70 says:

Come on Walker…get out of that funk and start hitting the ball!

170. JRay3 says:

Behind the two RBI single from Travis Snider and the hot bats of Starling Marte and Andrew McCutchen the Bucs down the Dbacks 5-3 in the opener of their three game set in Phoenix and there was Nooooooooooo Doubt about it!

Great job turned in by the pen, headlined by Justin Wilson and the 8th and 9th inning guys Melancon and Grilli.

Let’s for a winning streak tomorrow…Go Bucs!

You really do take your role as the stopper seriously, don’t you. Well done,

172. Nothing like a WIN!!

The UNDER wins both lines tonight.
    Thanks as always to those who played.

Here are the updated standings
    If I made any mistakes please let me know. Thanks.
    JRay3 ~ 275
    Dcpinpgh ~ -100
    JD ~ -100
    Arriba Wilver ~ -130
    Bizrow ~ -300
    JMB ~ -400

173. Baywatch says:

Woo-Hoo! Hope I’m not too late for the party!

174. Told ya they were saving the runs for AZ.
    Glad you got to see a win.

175. Baywatch says:

Clint gets my MVP of the game for taking Jeanmar Gomez out when he did! I told the wife he may go down as the only guy in history to get the win and be released on the same night! (Somebody check that stat!)

We now have more wins than the Astros!

177. Baywatch says:

Somebody fast-forward me to August … PLEASE!

178. Baywatch says:

They should at LEAST have a rule in place to where Wilson gets the W if Gomez is DFA’d before the night is over. I wasn’t running radar but I’d think we could characterize his stuff as SLOW, NO MOVEMENT! Prado missed that one pitch he left up, and you could tell, he was about ready for the NUTHOUSE!

179. tomp says:

For me, i am a lifelong pirate fan, but loathe the penguins.

I think, actually i know, Crosby is one of the biggest babies ever to lace them up.
    I hope they get knocked out in the 1st round, and i hope the Rangers are the team to do it!!.
    Nice win by the Pirates, even though Walker, Alvarez and Barmes look like little leaguers , with a bat in their hands.
    Not even going to comment on the 7.5 million dollar man , since he just looks like another free agent blemish, in the NH era.

180. JRay3 says:

Dbacks postgame show gushing over Justin Wilson saying he ahould have gotten win and if Wandy hurt should go in rotation. Say they talked to Bob Walk after game and Bucs don’t want that.

They love Marte and feel if Alvarez takes a step forward could compete for WC. Wow I know we just beat them 5-3 but they are offering praise as if this were the ’79 Pirates.

Fingers crossed on Wandy Rodriguez update.

181. tomp says:

It was very nice to watch a Pirate victory tonight.
    Made it better , watching the game broadcast with the diamondback tandem. Honestly, i don’t know why that hot bag of wind Vin Scully is so popular. Seems to rehash the same personal stories, during each game of the series, like cutch’s father being a minister, and Cutch singing in the choir.
    It would be nice it the jackals that ROOT sport employs, would take some tips from the Arizona guys.
    You know, no in game predictions, no “tips to win”, garbage, which is customary with a normal Pirate telecast.
    If i have a choice i would refrain from putting up with 3 plus hours of that babble from Walk, Blass, and especially Greg Brown.

182. Baywatch says:

They should REALLY do away with the guy they have roaming the stadium, looking for a sound bite! Sheesh! Nothing like making a 3-Ring Circus out of the ballgame!

183. tomp says:

With only a 2 run lead, why not let the closer get in there at the beginning of the 9th.

Melanson gives up a lead off hit/walk/error, and Grilli enters with very little wiggle room.

Besides that, how about letting the closer get some work.?

He has pitched a total of 3 , maybe 4 innings tops to this point, so overwork is not an issue.
    Apparently hard head Hurdle is going to keep Alvarez in the lineup, until the average gets below his waist size.