Final: Diamondbacks 10, Pirates 2

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (3-5) vs. Arizona Diamondbacks (5-3)

Starters: LHP Jonathan Sanchez vs. LHP Wade Miley

Time: 3:40 p.m.

Site: Chase Field, Phoenix

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Josh Harrison, 3B
  7. Clint Barnes, SS
  8. John McDonald, 2B
  9. J. Sanchez, LHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel loves getaway matinees three time zones away.

Comments

1. TCB says:

I look at the 4 – 8 hitters(?) and shudder. No power, low averages, bad obp, no speed. Sanchez better be sharp today.

2. Kevin says:

Still… its early in the season and we’re talking the pirates could actually sweep a series? Atleast that’s one positive.

3. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends.
    We’re so glad you could attend.
    Come inside! Come inside!

Let’s open The Window, and as always this is just for fun and entertainment purposes.
    Max “wager” is 100 units on each separate line.

All “wagers” must be divisible by 5.
    Please reply in this box, makes it much easier for me to “book-keep” that way.

**Due to popular request, ALL PICK ‘EM LINES will have odds posted in ( ) next to them.**

TODAY’S PICK ‘EM LINE
    Total HITS by Josh Harrison in today’s game
    ZERO (EVEN ~ 1:1)
    ONE (EVEN ~ 1:1)
    TWO or MORE (DOUBLE ~ 2:1)

Anyone can play, and everyone should try!
    What’ll ya have? What’ll ya have?

**The Window is on twitter, @TheBuccoWindow, feel free to follow**

Thanks to all for playing and good luck!!

4. Here are the updated standings
    Let me know if there are any mistakes. Thanks
    theplanisworking ~ 250
    JD ~ -100
    Kevin S ~ -100
    Bizrow ~ -400
    JMB ~ -500

5. TCB says:

I’ll take 50 for 1 hit.

6. ALSO, there will be prizes for MONTHLY WINNERS & the TOP 5 at the end of the season.

Once I have all the prizes figured out I will post them with pictures.

GOOD LUCK!!

7. TJ says:

I’ll go 100 on the ONE

8. Chuck H says:

It’s a positive to see Sir Whiffs-a-lot is not in today’s lineup. I can’t stand to see him coming up to bat. It is both comic and pathetic to witness him flailing at the ball, trying to make contact. He is a joke to most major league hitters. GO BUCS!!!

9. tdb1977 says:

I’ll take two or more for 100 chop sticks :)

10. TJ says:

Interesting article by Jim Bowden today on ESPN. Listing the 10 MLB players most likely to be dealt.

He listed Headley and Bud Norris as players that could land with the Pirates while listing Grilli as a player the Pirates might deal with Melancon waiting to take over that role. I don’t see the Pirates having the prospects for Headley unless they flipped Grilli first.

11. Is Headley still on the DL?

100 nuclear nuggets on TWO or More

Look out below ;-)

If you need any help on getting things, let me know

14. He still is. Not that it will mean anything July 31st.

15. JRay3 says:

Good morning to the Window and fellow Buc fans. A great day for a sweep! Taking a look at this line I wanted to refer back to last season to see how JHay fared.

In 47 games where he registered at least 3 AB’s he ended up with at least one hit in 31 of those or 66% of the time. Harrison ended up with multiple hits, 2+ in 12 of those games or 25% of the time. He went without a hit in 16 of those contests or 34% of the time.

On lines like this I prefer to play the trends or the the percentages and the best value seems to be on one hit judging on most recent past history.

Time to get back on track today.

Give me 50 on ONE HIT

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

Same here Playoffs.

The Pirates had enough for Headley last year, but not this year WITH one LESS year of control?

I don’t follow…

18. TJ says:

And not like it would be the first time NH brought in damaged goods.

19. TJ says:

I agree the Pirates do have enough; but what are you willing to give up for him? Willing to break up Taillon and Cole? Just curious how much value would be put on Headley

20. Jason81 says:

I’ll go with 50 on ONE.

21. radio wave says:

I will take 75 for one hit. Thanks

22. TJ says:

And do you think the Padres are going to take prospects in our system that are years away? I just don’t see the Padres flipping him for prospects unless they are going to help in the very near future.

Ah, I gotcha buddy. Great question.

I would make sure the second half Chase Headley of last year is the real Chase Headley before paying for that guy, especially comming off a hand injury. Without the insane power surge, he’s a good but not great player.

If he puts up the numbers for a couple months, I wouldn’t break a sweat dealing Taillon as the centerpiece. Cole is too close to helping this current team, so trading him for anything would be robbing Peter to pay Paul, IMO.

24. bman says:

@Playoffs

I’ll go with 25 units on ZERO

25. TJ says:

I agree on Taillon. I think they listed Josh Beckett as the last pitcher to come out of high school and actually have a good major league career. The track record on high school pitchers making it to the majors isn’t very good.

26. Joey Mellons says:

25 gold doubloons that Harrison puts up a bagel (zero) in the hit column. Note, way to dupe me on the great line yesterday on the 2.5 over/under for total walks by the Buccos, obviously I have the over.

Kershaw, Cain, Gonzalez, Bumgardner, Zimmerman, Latos, etc aren’t too shabby.

Now the PIRATES record on HS pitchers is certainly another story.

If we assume the centerpiece would be Taillon, who could easily pitch in the show next year, I think you could definitely fill out the trade with guys like McPherson, Black, Irwin, Dickerson, Sanchez or even a big league guys like Morton, Locke, or Wilson. IF San Diego wanted to go for upper level guys.

29. TJ says:

No I’d agree they are not too shabby; but stack them up against the number of high school pitchers actually taken every year and imagine what your percentage is.

If your taken by the Pirates as a pitcher out of high school you will likely end up being a position player

50 Karn Evil 9 Units/ONE hit

Zang you.

31. TJ says:

Tell ya what… Wilson has been pretty sharp so far this year. Small sampling but still a nice start. I could see him sparking interest if he keeps it up; especially if he can be stretched out to be a starter which I thought was discussed at some point

32. Lad9 says:

I will take ONE hit for 75 skins. Go Buccos!

Thanks Playoffs

33. JaxBuc says:

Give me 20 doubloons on TWO OR MORE, please, kind sir (or madam).

34. Thank you both for the help.

I went through the house a few weeks back and found a whole mess of brand new Bucs stuff that I never even used/opened/remembered I had lying around.

Mrs. Window wants me to get rid of it.
    Who better to “give” these items away to, than fellow Pirates fans.
    I look at this as a WIN-WIN situation for everyone.

35. Kevin says:

I dont even have the guts to make a pick. Never even seen Harrison take one swing yet this year.

36. GOING ALL IN FOR DOUBLE THE UNITS!!

YOU GOT IT!

Byrnes is only a year removed from trading Anthony Rizzo, possibly the best NL 1B not name Votto, for another hard throwing reliever in Andrew Cashner. Terribly lopsided trade.

Ugly names in that lineup, but even uglier is the fact that Pedro/Jones/Walker would be worse.

39. ANOTHER DOUBLE “PAYOUT” POSSIBILITY!!

YOU GOT IT!

40. Expert analysis as always!!
    Enjoy the final game, chase D. Baxter with your broom!

YOU GOT IT!

41. The Window figured that at least one of those 3 ball counts late in the game would have led to another walk.

The Window can be a cruel place sometimes…..

YOU GOT IT!

42. HAHAHA!! :)

YOU GOT IT!

43. You’re quite welcome!!

YOU GOT IT!

44. DOUBLE ODDS WINNER POSSIBILITY!!

YOU GOT IT!

45. John Lease says:

What does it take to get McKenry a start? The rest of the suck squad is in there…

46. Milo still has a fine autographed ball he’d love to donate.

47. KJX says:

100 on 2+

48. GOING ALL IN FOR DOUBLE THE UNITS!!

YOU GOT IT!

49. fellocolonial says:

100 for 1 hit

50. Taillon isn’t far behind. He’s been solid in AA.

I wouldn’t trade either one. We obviously have to pitch well to win, as does anybody.

Sure would like to have seen Headley have that second half in a Bucco uni. Imagine, streak over, Wild Card. Hindsight is great.

51. I remember that.

They really like him in NY right now.

He could probably make at least $20 and get a no-trade clause selling that to a Yankees fan.

I also have a Charlie Morton autographed cap. If he comes back and wins his 1st start, that goes on ebay immediately.

53. Would you trade that cap for a 2009 Nate McLouth autographed cap?

In a nano second.

100 units for one (1) hit!
    Thanks Playoffs!

56. You’re quite welcome!!

YOU GOT IT!!

57. cmat0829 says:

can i please have 50 units on the 2 or more please… playing a hunch

People ignored my keen analysis. What can I say? ;-)

Do you have a Jimmy Anderson bobblehead too?

60. Cole’s efficiency is not there yet. 63 pitches to get through 2 innings in Toledo so far. Only run is a solo HR, but he’s given up 4 hits, walked 2 and K’d 5.

At that rate, they’ll pull him after 3 or sooner.

Not quite ready for prime time yet.

Hey I have cool stuff too.

Oh,and I was sweating bullets after Clint “you will not walk me” Barmes walked.

63. cmat0829 says:

On the lineup, this is a typical “Jim Leyland” getaway day lineup … if Leyland were the Bucs manager, would those opining on the lineup be as vocal?

I like it personally. Pedro needs a break as does Walker…. I might have plugged GIJones in there as he is hot but otherwise, I like the lineup.

64. Playing a hunch for a possible DOUBLE “PAYOUT”!!

YOU GOT IT!!

Apologist. :-P

Do you have the Pat Mears Memorial Locker? ;)

67. You’re right, I was agreeing with Neal wasn’t I?

Bring him up after the game and send Locke down.

Now I feel better.

Go ahead, I DARE ya :P

Well then, I guess you are the smartest woman in the room, much as neal is the smartest man in the room……… ;)

70. He has Derek Bell’s houseboat anchor.

i DESPISE this lineup.

(Trying some reverse psychology. If it works, I’ll hate everything all season. Which is easy for me. Because I pretty much do.)

Arizona is pitching a lefty.

watch it, buster :P

Ruh-Roh :(

75. If I was a woman, I’d be the ugliest woman in the room, too.

;)

+ 3-5 :)

lol it’s ok…down boy ;)

you guys are KILLING me lol

Ruh-Roh part 2………. ;)

Playoffs, you are the awesomest lunatic in the room!

(And that’s saying A LOT!)

no Scooby snacks for YOU! ;)

This is the 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates facing a lefty lineup, not a getaway day lineup.

2012 OPS splits vs. LHP:

Jones .532 / Sanchez .729
    Walker .602 / McDonald .897
    Alvarez .648 / Harrison …ok, Josh Harrison is just awful.

Good. I need to lay off the Scooby snacks…..heck, I need to lay off ALL snacks……… ;)

84. Could you please let Mrs. Playoffs know that.
    She just calls me a lunatic but leaves off the awesomest part.

85. tom p says:

I would like to see Walker stay in there, and refrain from ever batting from the right side again.

As for Alvarez, on most nights, at least he is not taking his futility at the plate , back to the field with him. His defense, has been above average, so far.

I would appreciate it , that if he going to constantly make outs, make them by hitting the ball hard(see what happened last night)?, then flailing at pitches 2 feet above/below/outside/inside, the strike zone.

I , among others, just cannot figure if this guy is going to amount to anything besides a latin Rob Deer.

Give me her contact info and i’ll go to bat for ya, friend :)

tell me about it lol

88. I figured his walk was an omen of the OVER taking it easily.

89. steelercrazy says:

100 on Josh putting up a ZERO.

90. Cole didn’t start the 3rd. Guess he’s still on that 60+ pitch limit. He threw 63 today and 63 his last start.

Hope JD gets to the park early on Monday. TC got the video package for MiLB and, by the time he was set up, Cole was out of his first start.

Jandy, when it snowed here a few weeks ago, I was going to join the kids in making Snow Angels.

1) By the time I got home, the snow melted.
    2) I realized that mine would more closely resemble Snow Whales, so I abandoned the idea. ;)

92. Stuart says:

Playoffs, I’ll wager 100 units on “zero”.

Stuart

How much for that Tony Dorsett?

You’re a funny guy. Not for sale.

+1+

I’m going with 30 on 1 hit.

Thanks, Playoffs.

97. Joey Mellons says:

Ha, when I saw that Barmes drew a walk, I thought the over was a lock…….easy money. I’d be ecstatic to lose all of my bets if that means the Buccos acquire a win.

LOL! I bet your kids have fun with you, tho ;)

Well regarding the lineup, don’t forget tomorrow is an offday, so Walker and Pedro have two days off

101. RobertoForever says:

Enticing odds on that 2+ hits.

But looking at J-hay’s splits, he does worse against LH starting pitchers than RH pitchers.

I almost think it will be zero hits, since he is 0-4 vs Miley. But I think I will take 65 on 1 hit and hopes he gets an infield single.

Beat em Bucs

102. JD says:

50 on 1 BIG hit please.

Mr. Biz,

totally off-topic, but I would like to humbly submit someone for inclusion in the “people who have made a difference” part of your geographic listings…….

New Castle’s own Mr. Charles William Tanner, the last Pirate manager to win a WS Championship. Being it has been 33 years and counting, I think that is quite the feat.

Thank You.

I hopes you’re right.

105. No problemo, YOU GOT IT!

I absolutely agree, thanks for the nomination.

Any problems from you lunatics with adding Chuck Tanner?

107. Patrick says:

Rod Barajas had to suck on an epic level to get taken out in favor of McKenry. You know how hard it will be for him to get an AB with a catcher than can actually throw out a thief once a month?

108. The Window is officially closed for today.
    Going off the grid as I have this game DVR’ing at home.
    Thanks to all who played.
    LET’S GO BUCS!

Now that one is a no brainer.

110. None whatsoever.
    Add Mr. Tanner!

111. Ghost says:

Been busy the past week, but did peep at the Blog when I had the chance. Here are some random, late-to-the-party comments:

Chase Headley is close to being back. Caught the Padre broadcast last night and they interviewed Headley while showing video of him doing infield drills earlier yesterday afternoon. He looked fine and said he should be back any day now.

Snider got off the Schneider.

For the guy on the chat who was wondering about Masumi Kuwata, in addition to broadcasting work Kuwata is also helping coach the Tokyo University baseball team this year. And now you know.

HATE seeing leadoff doubles wasted.

Arizona’s 1-5 hitters are all righties who walk at an above average rate. Could be a short day for Jonathan.

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tygnsboro
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

328 locations represented in the blog,
    Honorary members, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference. Nominations are always welcome
    Beano
    Mario Lemieux
    Chuck Noll
    Eddie Johnston, aka EJ
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    13 countries
    45 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 5 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    4/10/2013 3:52 PM

Ugh. Pickoff move from you-know-where.

seriously. was that really necessary?

Crap,

I hate when I’m right about the Pirates.

118. Ghost says:

Uh… Sanchez gave up one less first-inning run than MacDonald?

119. TJA says:

might still come back today. if not, they win the series. LA was ugly…AZ a bit better…

Question for you.

I voice my opinion about the Bucs, not cheering for Sanchez’s mistake, and you say is it necessary.

the very next post, by Bizrow, he says something similar, and you dont ask him if it is necessary. (Nor would I want you to attack another poster for voicing his/her opinion.)

Why is that?
    Seriously.

Because I was talking about the pickoff move, not your post.

I didn’t feel the pickoff move, in that situation, was necessary.

I was agreeing with you.

Ah. Apologies.

None needed. I know I can be a jerk sometimes.

124. Ghost says:

Either you were agreeing with Plan, or you just pulled off the smoothest rhetorical dodge I’ve seen in a very long time! (And here I was hoping for a little sideshow between you two. ;) )

The optomist in me says that these hitters are forcing Sanchez over the plate and that is why he’s been so hittable.

Doesn’t seem to have an out pitch today. Anybody watching?

Sigh, 6-0.

I say close the roof. May change our luck…..

Me, took the day off, now 6-0

128. Ghost says:

Can’t see the game, but I can practically imagine everyone now scurrying around the bullpen.

129. Dave G says:

Turned on the game just now.

First pitch I see? Three run homer for AZ in bottom of second.

Turned off the game.

Haha, all my angst is on lefty pitchers today. plan gets a pass.

131. JHadar says:

I think Sanchez could win . . .

a free trip to Indianapolis

Well, since our GM seems to specialize in dumpster-dives, I am sure there are planty of dumpsters to find a replacement.

And why are all of our defenders slipping on the infield dirt today??

Just read that Wandy will skip a start.

This might turn into one of those games where Sanchez is left out no matter what. Remember AJ against the Cards last year?

134. Ghost says:

Or to Frost, Mn.

135. JRay3 says:

Im at the game and Sanchez has no life on his fastball mostly 87-89, his curve is bouncing before plate 75% of time, and he is in the middle too much catching dbacks barrell.

He is awful, when is Karatens going to be ready to return? And please let Wandy be healthy.

So, which position player do we think will pitch today ? They’ll certainly be in double figures by the time Leroux is done. I’m going with McKenry.

This is one ugly game

Wish I was at work…

138. JHadar says:

Ah ha!

139. Ghost says:

I guess I’ve forgotten about that one, but wouldn’t be surprised if Hurdle does what you’re describing. We can’t overtax the bullpen so early, and we already have been. Sanchez threw 30 pitches in the first inning and looks to have as many or more in this one, though…

140. JRay3 says:

Did you hear whether or not he will avoid DL stint?

141. JHadar says:

I’m at work. It doesn’t help.

142. KJX says:

Sharpsville, PA

He was 7 run Homer Bailey today.

Either undecided, or they will not say either way

Think Pens and a “lower body injury”

Sounds like he just doesn’t have it today. Stuff looked legit against the Dodgers.

146. Let Leroux take his lumps then release him.

147. Pining away for Karstens, Morton and even Liriano.

Already on the list of lunatics, but thanks

Well, Harrison gets a hit, from where I’m in the standings, you gotta go with the good odds.

One more hit, Mr H, and thanks for getting us out of a shutout possibility

We got one!

I took the day off, due in part to just relax and watch us sweep..

I’m such a dumbarse

Kartsy is aways away, just now throwing 120 ft off the flat,

My guess is Liriano will be the first to be ready

I hope JRay let’s us know if an Arizona broadcaster makes a Jim Rooker type pledge.

+ 1

155. Chris Leroux knows today is “moving day.”

Soon he will be moving to Indy.

He’s awful.

157. John Lease says:

10-1?

Eesh. At least they got 1? :)

Fort is in the game?

I don’t own a rally cap this big

160. That’s a generous assumption. He’ll have to clear waivers. The Astros will probably grab him.

You promise ?

At this rate, we would need a rally tent…….

For this game, or for the season?

164. I can pray about it at church tonight. God is a baseball fan. We’re made in His image and likeness, that’s how I know He is. He can’t stand ineptitude.

I’ll pray he has a soft landing place, too, with Sanchez when they hit the ground.

:P

165. Now, Biz, it’s early. Too small a sample size. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Did I leave any out?

;)

If it wasn’t for contract incentives, the mercy rule could be invoked. But at least Playoffs has this DVR’ed for posterity.

167. Are those easily erased?

Please do. I wish no ill on these fellows. I just don’t want to have to watch them pitch anymore.

169. Biz, along those lines, even though you may not want this precedent, but how about Carnegie, PA for one Johannes Peter “Honus” Wagner and Donora, PA for Stanley Frank “Stan The Man” Musial – at some point he had to have been a Bucs fan growing up.

Maybe a French Canadian minor league team will claim him. The French are accustomed to mediocrity.

+ un. :)

I get Johnny Cueto vs. Jeff Locke Saturday with temps in the 30′s. Think I’ll go early, have dinner, then just stay at the bar & watch the Pens.

I hope its a sprint, and not a stumbling, fumbling thing.

But there is still that “expect” thingie, till they show me different ;-)

I got tickets, anyone want them?

175. tdb1977 says:

I wonder who I get to see on Monday.

Crap, is Harrison going to get another AB?

177. WVStarship says:

Sanchez < Matt Morris

178. If someone gets on, you may see K-dro to try and hit a ball. Hey, Biz, I left you two submissions at your 3:35 PM post above.

179. Same here, brother.

180. Boise Bucco says:

I’ve got exactly zero patience with the 2013 Pirates, and zero confidence in Jonathan Sanchez. And after seeing how many losses Bedard gave away last year, I will be really ticked off if Sanchez gets even one more start. You can’t in any way convince me that Kyle McPherson can’t do better than this. If he ends up pulling an AJ and rocking out like after the Cards game last year, then hey, I’ll eat crow, no problem. But I really don’t see that coming.

If the Bucs are gonna be mediocre, then at least let ‘em do it with rising stars/young guns, not KC Royal throwaways. Give me a break.

181. K-dro swings at ball four as usual to end this futile game. They all better take some LONG showers and get things going for the better on Friday against the Reds.

182. Karen22 says:

Jonesy IS hot! Oh, you meant….

Josh Harrison when 1-4.

Just had a thunderstorm rumble thru Central Pa. Temperature went from 82 to 63 in 15 minutes. Quick storm.

15 minutes was about all it took for this game to be over. Quick loss. :(

Lets just hope this was an exception, and it wont carry over to this weekend.

185. Mike Shigley says:

Maybe Sanchez deserves one more start, but I have seen all I want of Gomez and Leroux. Neither has done well in relief. Leroux’s line today was very misleading — since he let two inherited runners score.

And, other than 1 and 3 (4 when Jones plays) we have gotten no hitting.

186. JD says:

Thanks for the advice.

187. Daquido_Bazzini says:

That’s funny, it wasn’t too long ago that I had some Nutting Regime-ites telling me that Chris Leroux was an amazing talent.
    Reports seem to tell us otherwise so far this season.
    Also….Word has it that we signed Russell Martin because he is so good at framing pitches (as opposed to hitting a baseball).
    The Nutting Regime (and its followers)….They continue to work in strange and unusual ways.

Just a loss after two wins. I’m just thankful they only used three pitchers and saved the pen. I’m more concerned that they are still not hitting.

On to the next game.

This series probably took some pressure off. Need to demonstrate that in the next series.

Would Leroux be classified as a problem prospect? ;)
    Or is there hope for him?

He was the cannon fodder brought in to eat innings in a blowout.

When you’re in that situation you bring in one of your worst, not best, and hope he can hold on for a couple of innings.

So he lived up to my low expectations.

191. TJ says:

Its another loss; but the thing that concerns me is Wandy and the offense. If Wandy is out any amount of time its going to make things that much worse.

I cannot believe Sanchez is guaranteed over a million dollars this year regardless if he pitches another inning.

Ah yes, another of the genius moves by neal.

Wandys injury, no one could have seen.

The offense? Many could see it would be horrible.

But, its a long season, its a marathon, its only one loss, we still have time for the bats to warm up, neal will acquire players to right the ship………… :(

What does Martin’s ability to frame pitches have to do with a 10-2 blowout?

195. TJ says:

If he adds many more guys that are as heavy as Travis Snider and Pedro Alvarez he may sink the ship.

No one said he was a magician.

+2.

198. TJ says:

Agreed. I’d rather him focus on throwing out runners. Good pitchers don’t need frame work

199. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Nothing….It has everything to do with how the Nutting Regime tends to mask their signings year after year.
    Go out and get a complete player.
    Is that too much to ask of a MLB ownership?

200. TJ says:

Bazz I agree; Leroux was another amazing talent. I am wondering if they don’t judge talent by their ability to pass through SEAL training.

But remember that Chad Hermansen could walk on water; wonder if that guy isn’t still a scout for us.

Did someone say he was Rumpelstiltskin?

202. TJ says:

Didn’t we lose game 1?

They masked his .211 average and the fact it had declined every year for awhile?

Yes, two of three puts the start as not so bad.

You figured that out in Florida??

Must be the poodles

But, IMO, good post

Post du jour, one vote

I vote that Dejan use that Instagram photo he posted with him sporting the shiner as the blog photo up above.

This is the problem I have with neal.
    Martin was the BIG signing this year.
    He hit .211 last year.
    His average declined each year for 5 or 6 years. Yikes !!!

I have long stated that the FO’s biggest problems were identifying talent, and spending resources properly.

By the failed Barajas experiment, neal had to overpay for Martin, and the jury is still out if he is worth it.

Thats cruel.
    What did that shiner ever do to deserve that? ;)

I basically agree, plan, I just didn’t see where his ability to frame pitches had anything to do with it, and his offensive numbers are his offensive numbers, for all to see. Who’s fooled?

neal was fooled, obviously.
    But he gets fooled a lot, doesnt he?

I personally dont care who frames what pitches.
    I feel that is overrated.
    I want a catcher to call a good game, and hit above ..125.

A lot goes into a 10-2 blowout loss.
    Framing pitches isnt one of those things……

Probably was taken after a trip to Federal Street.

211. How did he get it? Dali nail him?

Really?

Hockey puck meets face. Hockey puck wins.

No, NH will use it as an excuse to do something absolutely stupid

As NH has done in the past

Its all Dejan’s fault

215. So the story goes. He probably put that stuff on and had his picture taken to look tough.

216. Wonder if that’s more or less bruises than he got curling.

Turning straw into gold.

Maybe it’s because Dejan can’t frame pitches correctly.

219. Nutting has it easy in the “Burgh. Someone sent a goat’s head to Tom Ricketts in Chicago.

Yeah, we speak of fork pitches

Nuttin laughs as the value of the PBC franchise grows

My sweetie noted she got 0.something interest on her bank accounts as I try to finish her taxe

I love Chicago. Go there all the time for business and pleasure. But some Cub fans are just plain nuts. Call us lunatics…pfft. Some of their fans are certifiably nuts.

222. T.S. says:

This team is in deep doo doo.

223. Boston and NY, also.

Were those people on this blog? The people telling you Leroux was an amazing talent? Sounds like an over exaggeration. Just like the reason we signed Martin was because he could frame pitches. Yea, that was the only reason.

I’m sure this was covered already, but Gerrit Cole with 63 pitches in just 2 innings. ( 5 K’s)
    See….those AAA hitters will hand you your head every time.

And I really liked what I saw from Felix Pie in the spring. His batting average to start the year is .083. Just 4 points behind Brandon Inge.

So I guess we cant Plan the Parade just yet?

227. TJ says:

Sometimes I wish the MLB was like some of the soccer leagues where your moved up or down in leagues based on performance. Right now this team would be in Bradenton.

Not until he gets stretched out to 4 innings

229. MadTurk says:

I was liking him in spring as well. How’s Presley doing?

230. Chuck H says:

No more starts for Sanchez until we clinch another losing season, sometime in July or
    early August. We should get rid of Leroux and Pedro. Give them away if necessary.

He’s 7 for 17.
    .412 BA. 1 home run

How about Matt Hague?

233. MadTurk says:

Not bad, hope he does well, with his speed added to Cutch, and Marte what an outfield that would be.

Hanrahan on in the bottom of the 9th. Gives up a lead off home run. Orioles down by a run. He is throwing 96-97

Hanrahan still looks like he could lose a few pounds.
    I like him a lot but I just can’t root for Boston.

235. Patrick(RI) says:

I have been inattentive this Spring. What did we pay/give up for this “utility” infielder? Ugh!

Here is Hanny’s inning so far:

Homer
    Out
    Out
    Single, stolen base
    Walk
    Walk

Bases loaded. Hanny going for the 100th career save.

Bounces a slider, tie game.
    Then a 3 run homer from Manny Machado

237. JRay3 says:

There were signs late last season that there might be some cracks in the Hammer’s armor. His control is becoming an issue.

At least Melancon has been one of the positives to start the season, may turn out to be a nice trade and very good return.

238. JRay3 says:

Probably first dibs at the rights to Cutch after the organization decides it can no longer afford him.

239. Patrick(RI) says:

Wife and I won 2 tickets to Boston/Tampa game on Saturday. I thought it might be fun to see JH, but now not so sure! At least Price will pitch for the Rays. BTW, the seats are In RF, just past 1B, a third of way up –they are $90 bucks apiece!!

I also understand Sox have a good utility infielder . . .

240. JRay3 says:

Enjoy the game, seeing One of the best in game in Price. I marvel how Tampa has made themselves very competitive in a division with the Yanks and Red Sox, amazing what strong leadership can accomplish.

241. So glad I wasted space on the DVR for that debacle.

CONGRATS to the new Clubhouse Leader – RobertoForever!!!

No game on Thursday, so I will see you all again for THREE-PLAY FRIDAY!!

Here are the updated standings. Let me know if there are any mistakes. Thanks.
    RobertoForever ~ 290
    Dcpinpgh ~ -100
    Kevin S ~ -100
    steelercrazy ~ -100
    stuart66 ~ -200
    Bizrow ~ -500
    JMB ~ -500

242. Yeah, so happy I used up precious DVR space for this one.
    I hung around until J-Hay’s last at-bat.