Final: Cardinals 10, Pirates 6

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (6-6) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (7-5)

Starters: RHP James McDonald vs. RHP Lance Lynn

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. McDonald, RHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

Comments

1. Horrible news out of Boston today.
    My prayers go out to all those effected.
    I’m going to keep this low-key tonite given the circumstances.

Max “wager” is 100 units on each separate line.
    All “wagers” must be divisible by 5.
    Please reply in this box, makes it much easier for me to “book-keep” that way.

LINE #1
    Total STRIKEOUTS + WALKS issued by James McDonald in tonight’s game
    Line is 11.5

LINE #2
    Total RBI’s for Pedro Alvarez in tonight’s game
    Line is 1.5

Thanks to all for playing and good luck!!

2. Frankie says:

Give me:
    Line 1. Under

Line 2. Under

Go Buccos

3. Frankie says:

That’s 50 on each ….Thanks…..

Key to this series might be getting into the Cards bullpen. Worst in the majors right now, statistically speaking.

We also “luck out” in getting the three righties at the back end of their rotation, although Westbrook and Miller have been pretty darn good so far.

Also looks like there’s a bunch of Cards – Craig, Beltran, Descalso, Jay, Freese – who haven’t started hitting yet they already lead the league in runs scored.

That scares me.

6. TCB says:

LIne #1 – 75 on the over.

Line # 2 – 25 on the over.

7. Playoffs, I’m going to go with Under for BOTH lines for 100 each. Hoping to lose 200 points total, though. Go Bucs!

8. TK says:

Line # 1 – 100 on the under
    Line # 2 – 100 on the under

9. TK says:

Line 1 – 100 on the under
    Line 2 – 100 on the under

Disregard the below post.

Cards have some big run games but also some low run ones–Zito shut them out 1-0, they won a game 2-0, lost 4-3 in 10 innings, lost 6-2

Interesting. Feast or famine so far, I suppose.

12. JD says:

50 on the under for both please.

13. radio wave says:

At playoffs: please give me 50 under on the first line. Please give me 50 under on the second line. Thank you

14. MadTurk says:

Free Presley Not sure who I would sit right now but I would like to see how he does.

100 on OVAH for both lines

Thanks

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families today

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

330 locations represented in the blog,
    Honorary members, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference. Nominations are always welcome
    Carnegie’s – Honus Wagner
    Mario Lemieux
    Chuck Noll
    Eddie Johnston, aka EJ
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    13 countries
    45 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 5 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    4/15/2013 5:19 PM

17. I nominate Steve Blass.

He may not be a native Yinzer, but his love and passion for the city has been proudly worn on his sleeve for over 50 years now.

18. Chuck Snow says:

Elvis is recalled…who is getting traded? Tabata?

Seconded

Any other thoughts?

I’m thinking we might rename that list the Lunatics Hall of Fame?

20. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the Window. Another in division series begins tonight as the Bucs look to get a share of top spot in the Central.

A double play Monday awaits and it is time I get back on the right side of the ledgers. Taking a look at line 1, so far this season J-Mac has accumulated 6, and 9 BB+K’s in the two starts he has made. Going back to last season he only managed 12+ in three of his starts and did not do it in his two starts versus St. Louis,

Play the Numbers here for Line 1: 100 on the UNDER

Pedro Alvarez headlines the second line. So far this season El Toro has managed just 1 RBI in the first 12 games a far cry from the pace of 85 RBI’s he drove in a year ago. He is due to break out but the question is when? Last season he produced 2+ RBI’s in 20 games, so he is capable. Just not sure it will be tonight.

For Line 2: 100 on the UNDER

Here’s hoping we celebrate a 4 game winning streak at night’s end and sit atop the division standings. Let’s Go Bucs!

In a similar vein, what about Dick Groat? A Pirate, and his work with Pitt Basketball, we’ll he is something else ;-)

22. tom p says:

Blass is a true Pirate, no question, and i remember him being clutch en route to the World Championship in 1971

On the other hand, his work behind the mic, is often atrocious , and un listenable.

If i had to make a choice to listen to him or Walk for 3 hours, my only reprieve is asking for door #3.
    I just wish those 2 would call the game, and leave the predictions, to guys like Kreskin.

But Steve is a yinzer.

I love the man’s character, Ok, 2-1, first to 5 decides

Deal?

24. tdb1977 says:

100 on the under on both lines please

25. tdb1977 says:

Add him Biz. I vote yes.

26. If Mike Lange and Myron cope can make this list, then surely there is room for Steve Blass. Neither Lange nor Cope ever won a Game 7 for the city, and I would rate his broadcasting abilities to be on par with both of those gentlemen.

27. Not looking to start a holy war here, so please don’t take any of my comments as critical to either Mr. Lange or Mr. Cope.

I just think when you look at the ENTIRE body of work Mr. Blass has done throughout his life for the city of Pittsburgh, there is no way he can be left off the list.

I’ll step off my soapbox now….

28. Brandie says:

Wish our guys well in their quest to bring it for nine full innings. Just found out about what happened at The Boston Marathon. Prayers go out to all affected. For all you Lunatics…Hug your loved ones and tell them you love them as we are not promised tomorrow…Have a good game Lunatics. Thanks for making me feel welcomed.

3-1,

He pitched while I was in my teens and the quotes from him in the paper were just priceless

IMO he’s a class act. His character, thru tough times, has won

If he makes it, and if he heard of it, he would say, “hey I made a hall of fame, but it was a split vote.

That’s my last post in support of him

Its our list ;-)

30. JHadar says:

Danny Murtaugh should have been on that list ahead of a few of the others.

31. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I”m back!!!!!!!!

Give me 100 on the under for both

32. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I saw AP got called up, but how many OFers do they really need? Extra IFers make sense to me, but what do I know?

33. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I hate those guys

34. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

did I miss something on nominations?

35. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Don’t jump the gun yet…

Playoffs, did not do such.

Personal thoughts here

My son spent time at Childrens in the late 80′s, months actually, we would listen to him and the Pens, one night a nurse came up to me and said she could get Mike to say hey to him during a broadcast, I said great, could she let me know what game? She went on about how supportive he was for the kids there, how much time and effort he spent supporting the place/kids.

Later she told me the day, we listened, but Chris fell asleep early. I heard him say hey to Chris right when I got in my car.

Myron? The gift he has given our nation and kids with the Terrible Towel.

Real gifts, making a difference, but in different ways ;-)

37. JHadar says:

Biz’s honorable mention list

38. JHadar says:

I mean honorary members — typing on autopilot again.

Could be as simple as the best bat available in Indy since their not hurting defensively at any of the infield positions.

Presley then basically serves as a slightly better version of hustlin’ Josh Harison.

Ok, lets talk

He was, I have heard, a hall of famer, with spitting chewing tobacco

Seconded

And a lefthanded stick

42. bman says:

@playoffs:

Line 1: 100 on the UNDER

LIne 2: 75 on the UNDER

THANKS!!

Good point.

Only lefty bench bat we have when a right handed pitcher is starting(assuming Jones and Snider start), correct?

Yes, some balance

Also a taste of speed

45. Ghost says:

Line one: 50 on the over
    Line two: 50 on the under
    (Hope I did this right.)

And I too, just found out about the horrible events in Boston. Found out from Dejan when I saw his tweet on his landing page here. Got a strong feeling that this was domestic terrorism similar to the Oklahoma City tragedy in 1995. Today is April 15th, Tax Day, after all. It’s just so easy these days for miscreants to maim and kill innocent others. Have no idea what to do to …

46. SJB says:

Biz, Who here is from Pennsville, NJ?

The tax idea has merit, didn’t think of that

I see that this will use Presley’s last option. That means he’ll have to clear waivers to get sent back down?

49. MadTurk says:

I would hate to lose him. I hope he sticks, this will create some interesting moves in the near future.

50. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

A LH bat and speed for late in the game, but please dont call him in for a defensive substatution….I’d rather see Tabby out there defensively.

I don’t know, I just try to type correctly the location, I don’t keep that detailed of a listing

52. Keith says:

No – they can shuttle him all year with one option.

Agree with both of you…especialy if he’s lost as a result of activating Brandon Inge next week.

54. Keith says:

1-100 on the under.
    2-100 on the under
    (We still win.)

55. RobertoForever says:

Thanks for doing this tonight, Playoffs. It is right and appropriate that you continue this excellent addition to the blog.

I am going to skip the line today and wish the Bucs well tonight. But this occurred in the town of my alma mater. Have many friends and tens of family that live in Boston. Many of them participate annually in the Boston Marathon, and several were attempting it for the first time today. Waiting for facebook updates on each one. Each. One. Facebook is a two-edged sword. Hear all about our friends activities. But then in a moment like this, having been drawn into their activities, we must now wait with baited breath, that our friends and family were not among the victims.

God Bless our Massachusetts brothers and their visitors, on this special day in Massachusetts, Patriot’s Day. It has always had special meaning to me. Now it will have a different meaning. Sadly.

56. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I see, I still haven’t seen that post…but I’m definetly in favor of Blass.

57. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Keith is correct on the option thing. He did well in ST, was doing well at AAA. Who knows.

58. SJB says:

Yeah, I agree. Someone trying to make a stupid political message more than likely and because it’s domestic, the coward(s) won’t admit to it. Sadly, the crazies from other counties would have probably created more carnage and then bragged about to everyone within 5 minutes. So far, no terrorist groups claiming this.

That’s 4-1 in favor

One more, or no more dissenters, he’s added.

60. KJX says:

#1. 100 Under
    #2. 100 Under

61. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Ghost, best thing to do is take care of your own. I think I’m going to move to the boonies in a few years…..my brother suggests Brookville, PA. I hear its rather boonie

62. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Oh and, I’m still not a fan of AP though, hope I’m wrong.

63. JHadar says:

1960
    1971

Thanks for everyone for babbling so far today.

You all have helped us get a moment away from todays bad tidings

Not a good day

65. Pucknutz says:

Line 1 100 under
    Line 2 100 under

Not as a starter, no, but I still don’t see a ton a separation between him and Tabata as fourth outfielders. Potential goes to Tabby, easily, but production is close to a draw.

Tabby has better on base skills and defense, Presley has better speed. Both bats are meh.

Thanks for that clarification, Keith.

68. TJ says:

I’ll go with 100 on Line #1 on the over

Line #2 we will go with UNDER

69. TJ says:

I’m late on this but God almighty I hope we catch the f’ing bastards that killed an EIGHT YEAR OLD BOY today in Boston along with someone else not to mention injure close to 100. Its unfortunate that this is the only time we come together and fortify as a country. Bend but don’t break. Prayers to all those involved

70. We’re thinking of you and them tonight. Hoping for some quick recoveries for the injured.

If it isnt too late………………

I will take line 1……….. 100 UNDER.
    I will take line 2……….. 100 UNDER.

Thanks.

All prayers to Boston.

Absolutely shocking!

72. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

agree. I do think AP has some more pop in the bat though..

73. Stuart says:

Playoffs

Give me 100 on the under for JMAC, and 100 on the over for Pedro.

Stuart

74. Bob Hasis says:

Leyva is coaching third for St. Louis

75. JRay3 says:

Wow that is quite the turn of events…thought for sure Holliday ha double and Cards would be up two. Than Cards run into out at third, strange half inning.

76. JHadar says:

List is at the bottom of the daily list of places

77. Bob Hasis says:

Precisely what he does to Pirate rallies – snuffs them out with incompetent judgment

78. JRay3 says:

Wow the Marte Parte trucks right along, he just flicked the bat out there on that outside pitch and doubles off the RF wall…that is some power.

79. JRay3 says:

Instinctive running by Marte and he scores on GI Jones single and Bucs tie it right back up at one.

80. Pedro needs to lose some pounds in order to start running faster down to first. At least they got the run back and we start over from scratch 1-1. Come on JMac, shut them down!

81. JRay3 says:

NMR listed above key could be getting to Cards pen, Bucs do nice job in bottom half of first forcing Lynn to throw 27 pitches to get out of inning.

82. JRay3 says:

JMac really laboring out there…struggling with command and velocity.

83. The Gunner says:

JMac is his usual inconsistent self. Barmes sure didn’t help.

84. Brandie says:

Tough to see him struggle. We all know he can do so much better. Looks like they will have to battle for through all 9 innings tonight.

85. casper in a-town says:

spot on, JRay. McDonald is topping out at 90 (mostly 89) and laboring to get there. Plus the fast ball is flat. You won’t get many major leaguers out with that.

YIKES !!!!!

The fastball is 89 & 90. You’ll never convince me that something’s not physically wrong. Among other things.

88. JRay3 says:

Mercifully this outing comes to an end…that was disastrous, just another question mark in the rotation.

Maybe someone should call Phil Irwin and tell him to turnaround
    JMac stinks.

90. JosePagan says:

Can’t believe Hurdle took out JMac…he had them right where he wanted them and according to Blass, his fastball is just fine…

Jose

91. SJB says:

JMac kicking a$$ and taking numbers. ;)

92. Officer Mancuso says:

I’m on board for Murtaugh. He was quintesessentially of Pittsburgh of that era (though he hailed from Chester near Philadelphia, two worldchampionships, the kind of a guy the team begged tocome back the second, td and 4th time around and return he did in spite of health problems. As best I can tell from Googling Murtaugh, he’s little remembered outside the dwindling circle of Pirates fans with first hand memories of that era – which is a crying shame. Wikipedia does a nice job at http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Murtaugh .

93. JRay3 says:

So frustrating to give away a game that quickly…why didn’t NH make a play at Lohse? Too many starters battling back from injury and too many question marks in there currently. Need a healthy Wandy back and than Clint has his work cut out piecing this together.

94. And of course all of this business with two out. Game will be hard to come back on tonight. Still a long way to go tonight, but….

95. The Gunner says:

Don’t you think it is about time they take JMac out of the rotation? He needs to work out his issues in Indianapolis or Altoona, not Pittsburgh.

They might as well let one of the kids on the farm take his spot in the rotation – I am sick of this guy!

96. Officer Mancuso says:

Yep.

At least with Jonathan Sanchez going tomorrow … nevermind.

98. Officer Mancuso says:

My yep is to Milo about velocity and health.

99. Karen22 says:

JMac= AGITA!! This guy is completely schizophrenic!

100. The Gunner says:

Let’s hope the offense comes alive tonight. A decision needs to be made on this headcase JMac.

101. Goes from 3-1 to 8-1 very quickly.

102. cherokee23 says:

Not making excuses for Barmes, but that wasn’t an easy play……and the writing was already on the wall in regards to JMac at that point!!

103. JRay3 says:

Talk about taxing a bullpen…4 2/3 from Irwin followed by 1 2/3 from Jmac…too many innings for the pen to have to cover.

Any update on how Liriano is throwing for Bradenton?

104. The Gunner says:

thanks for good news, Milo – now we all feel better

105. Baywatch says:

Do we still have a mental coach on the bench? Or was that a John Russell thing?

106. Officer Mancuso says:

Here’s a closing parenthesis, because I wouldn’t want to disturb the eternal rest of an elementary school English teacher to whom I am indebted for life. )

107. Brandie says:

Guess the plan is not working tonight.

a pierogies ass and license plate numbers (for that truck that just ran him over??)

109. JD says:

Thumbs up for Danny Murtaugh! The greatest manager in Pirates history.

Sometimes I seriously wonder if Blass isnt on the sauce before the games………

111. JRay3 says:

Think the Twins would trade us Kevin Correia back?

Neal said yesterday that he’s at the equivalent of his 1st spring training start. Same with Morton. That puts him about a month away.

113. JD says:

Oops. Danny Murtaugh.

JMAC doesnt have anything the Leadership Council cant fix.

115. JosePagan says:

Blass is assuring us that you “just can’t look at the scoreboard” right now and that there is plenty of time.

I realize there was a big comeback the other night but being down by 7 in the 2nd inning does not portend well.

Jose

116. SJB says:

If I had to bite my tongue as much as he does to collect a paycheck I’d be sauced all the time too.

117. The Gunner says:

JRay

They gotta get JMac out of the rotation. What about Karstens and Brother Morton? We have 150 games to go and we only have 20% of a real starting rotation.

Thanks, Neal Failington

You would have to talk to neal about that………………………..
    But I am off. ;)

119. The Gunner says:

surely you mean the Leadership Council in Altoona

120. JosePagan says:

Joy.

Part of Neal’s “plan” was to flood the pitching staff with talent with one guy coming off arm surgery and another recovering from a fracture in his non-throwing arm. Neither pitcher has been what you would call effective prior to their injuries, so them “coming back” means what exactly? To what level of effectiveness/ineffectiveness will we see?

Can’t wait.

Jose

121. The Gunner says:

I have always liked Blass both as a player and an announcer. I am starting to think he is losing it.

122. JosePagan says:

If I were a coach I would be mental by now watching JMac, among others, pitch…

Jose

123. Officer Mancuso says:

If he’s not a flash in the pan, he’s the best PBC news of the young season, as Dejan’s lunatics already know. The worst news: Karstens health, Martin’s batting, Pedro’s batting, JMac’s pitching. I am AMAZED that this team is 6-6 after the schedule it’s faced. And let’s not forget Fort McHenry. Men like him keep me following this team.

124. Officer Mancuso says:

Either that or North Korea’s politburo.

125. Officer Mancuso says:

Roberto’s not going to like this :-)

Jose, you just dont understand.
    None of us do………..

128. Officer Mancuso says:

What’s he going to say? “I know it’s early at PNC Park, but the smart people are choosing “Glee” reruns over this fiasco? To be fair, this 2013 team hasconvinced me that it bears watching. I have not set aside a slush fund for playoff tickets, but I’d love to cheer on AJ and Starling and Cutch and the Fort, in person.

129. MadTurk says:

Fire the uniform!!!

130. JHadar says:

It was 1-1 with two outs?

This sort of thing is why it’s hard to be a baseball fan. You look forward all day to relaxing and enjoying a game, and then wind up hoping that you don’t take it out on the dog before the night is over.

131. SJB says:

I bet all 2000 people there tonight are (1100 of whom are Pirates fans) are wishing it was at least scratch and win night.

132. SJB says:

Dogs hate the Pirates.

Gotta stay positive…………….
    no lines at the Burger Bar! ;)

134. Officer Mancuso says:

If he could shed a little signing bonus along with the fat, and the practice swing that we can now safely say serves no purpose but making games more boring as he slowly gets rich and fans slowly get turned off…oh wait, for that we’d have to talk to one of his parents. Forget it.

Male dogs fight other male dogs.

Pirates playing like dogs tonight……………. hence the reference…….

136. The Gunner says:

You make a good point. It is only one game. What is concerning is JMac’s pattern of utter inconsistency. The Bucs sure can’t compete for a playoff spot with someone like this in the rotation.

JMac needs to work out his problems down on the farm. He is probably out of options.

137. The Gunner says:

Amen, brother!

138. JRay3 says:

Walker with a two run blast to get Bucs within two field goals. One positive the bats are heating up sans Pedro.

139. JHadar says:

Down 6! Keep chipping away.

Good to see Walker bombing away!

141. SJB says:

Is Pedro’s hitting diet gotten down to his belt size yet?

142. JRay3 says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Boston and all other people affected by this senseless act of random violence commited by cowards.

And a big thank you to all the first responders on the scene assisting those who need it most.

I hope you find peace and positive news during this time @RobertoForever

Prayers for everyone!

I wish!

That’s Groat with that big glove, I bet.

146. Officer Mancuso says:

I’m voting for Dick Groat. Not many Duquesne hoops stars won NL batting titles. Next up, Roy Face.

Nice sequence there for the DP

Flipping between the game and coverage of Boston,I am always reminded with events like this the true blessing of a free press. Some of these reporters are doing stellar work under difficult circumstances. Bob Orr at CBS might be on his way to a Peabody. Tremendous work.

150. Officer Mancuso says:

Batting averages for Alvarez, Barmes and Martin tell me everything I need to know about NH. If more info were needed, McHenry rides the pine. This will never work.

151. Officer Mancuso says:

This is a sports blog. Politics are two doors down the hall. When the people who live for politics get us talking about their garbage, they win. Here, we do hockey, hoops, NCAA & NFL, and MLB. We do not do politics.

::blink::

153. Officer Mancuso says:

True

You’ve bitten a hole through your tongue, haven’t you ?

………… you forgot the Riverhounds.

DK: And curling and badminton.

156. cosmo says:

on the radio, Neverett said he threw 3 innings, no hits, 6 K’s.

Canada will be happy to know that Russell Martin is playing 3rd base.

159. Officer Mancuso says:

If MLB makes you violent, 1) do not root for the Pirates 2) study anger management. It’s a prerequisite for “Rooting for Pirates 200″.

160. Officer Mancuso says:

Bwahahaha

161. Officer Mancuso says:

and Major League Soccer!

Heck, Canada is happy to have a MLB player……… ;)

I don;t follow.

164. Chuck H says:

I would ship JMac so far away from Pittsburgh that he would need a GPS to find his way back, and ship Pedro along with him. He is one automatic out the team could do without.

165. JRay3 says:

Liriano with encouraging line in Bradenton tonight:

3 IP 0 H 0 R 0 BB 6 K’s

166. JRay3 says:

Nice job by Bryan Morris to throw three shutout innings of relief in his 2013 debut. Helps save to save the pen a bit.

167. Officer Mancuso says:

April 15 2013. Pedro Alvarez oh for 3, 1k, season batting average 0.73. Hopefully the GM who drafted this loser is furiously searching for a minimally competent third baseman.

168. JHadar says:

Not violent! Grumpy.

Please.

Oh, he will.

Just like the team owner is still searching for accountability…………

Seriously, Pedro was so touted coming out of Vanderbilt.
    Dont know if the crack development staff let him down, or it is mental with him.

Just so sad.

Who has the foghorn playing Lets Go Bucs at the game?
    It sounds like a sick, dying hippo.

I’m really impressed with this #42.

+42

173. JRay3 says:

Fort, Marte, Fort, Marte ho hum as those two continue to produce. All of a sudden 10-6.

174. DemonDachshund says:

You can remove Oviedo, FL, and add Cedar Park, TX.

175. JRay3 says:

Disappointing loss this evening. To assess:

Pros – Bullpen throws 7 1/3 innings of 2 H 2 R ball, Tabata 2-2 off the bench, Fort continues driving in runs off the bench, Marte continues his torrid start. Walker appears to be heating up, Pirates bats belt out 12 hits.

Cons – James McDonald, Pedro Alvarez and his continued slow start.

176. Baywatch says:

That was a STRANGE 3 innings Morris threw! Ugliest 3 scoreless I’ve ever seen. I don’t think he threw but 1, maybe 2 real strikes the whole time! Tell ‘em, Neil Walker!

“Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good.”

177. Baywatch says:

LOL!

178. The only thing worse than that game was…
    The putrid lines The Window posted tonight.
    Thanks to all who played tonight.

CONGRATS to TK — the new clubhouse leader!!

***WE HAVE PRIZES!! Look at the bottom of the standings!!***

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS. Let me know if I made any mistakes. Thanks.
    TK ~ 500
    TCB ~ -200
    stuart66 ~ -400
    Bizrow ~ -600
    JMB ~ -600

***First Place at the end of APRIL will win:***
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES BUMPER STICKER

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER