Pirates-Cardinals, postponed, rain

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (6-7) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (8-5)

Starters: LHP Jonathan Sanchez vs. RHP Jake Westbrook

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. J. Sanchez, LHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

Comments

Good to see that a week of hitting .421/.522/.579 earns you a spot on the bench.

Great message, Clint.

2. Really. Why not Presley against the righty if not Snider?

Before you pounce, Tabata may have good numbers against Westbrook. If he doesn’t, I’ll pounce with you.

4. I thought that, but didn’t bother to look it up.

5. Naje says:

Tabata is 9 for 21 v. Westbrook with 2 2B and a 3B. How’s that for a message? The manager has a ton of stats at his disposal. Glad he uses them.

As I suspected. Thanks Naje.

7. Naje says:

Snider is 3 for 10 v. Westbrook

8. Naje says:

Dejan….
    Solid intro to the radio show re: PBC. Well said… they definitely have a different look about them. Seems to me that Cutch is lifting the team with his play…specifically that game winning home run Friday night v. Cincy.

9. Good article in MLB Rumors today about when players can be brought up and still get that extra year of service.

The season is past 12 days old now, so Gerrit Cole can be brought up to Pirates immediately and Bucs will still have 6 full seasons of service AFTER this year! He is not on Bucs 40-man roster, but a spot is open.

If Jonathan Sanchez craps the bed tonight, Gerrit Cole would certainly look good throwing those 31-pitch innings in a Bucco uniform. Maybe Ray Searage, the pitching guru, can help Cole cut that pitch count in half. I would bet on Ray and Young King Cole succeeding together.

Liriano had his first outing and it was good, but it was only 3 innings in A ball. Cole is in AAA. Gerrit Cole pitches tonight——let’s see what he can do tonight!! If he’s good, put him on a bus to Pittsburgh!

To bring Cole up, it would cost Pirates an extra year of arbitration, but Huntington told us sending Cole to the Minors had nothing to do with money, right? So . . . bringing Cole up if rotation keeps spinning south should have nothing to do with money!

10. Ghost says:

Not an offensive lineup that is going to scare anybody. Spots six through nine are downright anemic, and Neil Walker before them ain’t doing much yet, either.

Funny, I thought the solid intro centered around management’s complete & total negligence in building a competent starting rotation. But I could be wrong. :)

DK: Everyone hears what they want. I’m guilty of same.

12. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Ah, that is a .429 average guys…

Why mess with a stroke that’s been hitting righties hard?

Bringing up Cole before he demonstrates some degree of consistency against Triple A hitters could be a mistake, IMO, and I wouldn’t do it. Not bringing him up if he has a good start tonight doesn’t signal to me that it has something to do with money.

14. NC_Bob says:

I agree with NH that Cole isn’t ready yet.
    Dump Sanchez and see if Kris Johnson can keep getting batters out.
    Could he be any worse?

Looks like they got rid of Maholm just before he hit his stride.
    Nice work by the front office on that one.

Since they came home, Walker is 8 for 18 with a homer and 5 ribbies.

DK,

You ? My friends tell me I’m the most closed minded person they know. I tell them flattery will get them everywhere.

17. Naje says:

Oh I agreed, too, about the pitching… but wanted to highlight the different look about them.

18. Naje says:

And somehow they’ve managed to score 25 runs in the last four games.

19. If Sanchez pitches another no hitter tonight, it won’t matter. And, if James McDonald just had bad biorhythms last night, it won’t matter.

However, if Jonathan Sanchez pitches grossly again tonight and Dr. Jekyl JMac is hurt and really Mr. Hyde after all, and Cole puts a number of innings under his belt tonight, there should be nothing holding back Front Office from bringing Gerrit Cole up except $$$$——that 4th year of arbitration.

Exactly.

21. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The whole point of the delay is to avoid Super 2 status, which would make him a 4 year arbitration cat. If they wait another month or so, he avoids Super 2 and the Pirates elect what to pay him for the 1st 3 years, arbitration for the last 3 years. Its still a good move to keep him down financially. Even though NH said its not financially motivating, he has to be there. Give him a few more starts at AAA to see how does with that competition.

However, the wait is on and if these guys continue to flounder like they are, bring him up.

Westbrook always scares me.

23. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

the Lefty/Lefty match up could mess that stroke up.

Just like me and Drew, Drew always scares me too ;-)

25. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

All the Cards do. Every starter and offensively its Molina.

26. Let’s open The Window…What’ll ya have? What’ll ya have?
    As always this is just for fun and entertainment purposes.

Max “wager” is 100 units on each separate line.
    All “wagers” must be divisible by 5.
    Please reply in this box, makes it much easier for me to “book-keep” that way.

TONIGHT’S LINE
    Total HITS by Starling Marte
    LINE is 1.5

Anyone can play, and everyone should try!

**The Window is on twitter, @TheBuccoWindow, feel free to follow**

Thanks to all for playing and good luck!!

100 on the UNDAH

That pretty much guarantees Marte will have at least two hits ;-)

28. CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS. Let me know if I made any mistakes. Thanks.
    TK ~ 500
    TCB ~ -200
    stuart66 ~ -400
    Bizrow ~ -600
    JMB ~ -600

***First Place at the end of APRIL will win:***
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES BUMPER STICKER

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER

29. According to Dejan, the whole point of delay was NOT super Two Arbitration ($$$$) but to gain that extra year of service. The money supposedly was not the factor.

Today is April 16: to avoid Super Two Arbitration, Bucs cannot bring Cole up until at least June 15——two months or more. Can Pirates “afford” to keep using baling wire and duct tape to keep this rotation together for 2 more months, just to save a year’s worth of arbitration for Gerrit Cole?

How many middle relievers can the team go through just to get through the rotation one time? What is this——3 (Leroux, Morris, and now Vinnie Baby) in 4 days?!?!

30. TK says:

100 on the over, please.

Let’s see how Sanchez pitches tonight in PNC. First game in a pitcher’s park.

Remember how good Bedard was at home last year?

32. Kevin says:

100 on the over please, Mr. Playoffs sir!

35. Under.

Thank you, good sir.

34. I like Sanchez and I hope you are right.

Cue the old Girls’ Group: “Wishin’ and hopin’ and plannin’ and prayin’ . . . “

35. JRay3 says:

Did you happen to see Bedard’s pitching line last night in his first start for the Astros:

1/3 IP, 2 H 6 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 1 K

Ouch…good luck with that Houston.

36. TCB says:

75 on the under.

37. Kevin says:

good prizes… I especially like the 5th place prize D:

38. pattonbb says:

How do Playoffs? ‘Bout time I join in on the fun.

100 make believe units on the UNDER.

39. TCB says:

I did not see that. I don’t remember him being quite that bad last year. Bad, but not that bad.

Excellent reference!

Let’s keep in mind this guy has two starts in the books. One ok. One not so much.

41. pattonbb says:

How about Correia’s line against the Angels?

7 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO and the Win. Both ER’s were HR’s too.

He started the year without giving up a run in two appearances, but yeah, any line starting with “1/3 IP” isn’t gonna get better.

He’s gotta be the closest thing to proof that lefty starters excel at PNC. 3.26 home ERA vs. 6.98 on the road last year.

As I said, I think it’s important for Cole to demonstrate consistency at Triple A and until he does, that, IMO, is a legitimate reason to keep him in Triple A.

44. JRay3 says:

Wish we would have held on to KC, he was serviceable, dependable and cheap, was a great fixture for back end of the rotation….and oh btw he only won 12 games last season.

Never understood why he fell out of favor with NH and CH, yet we hold on to Morton who has not shown any consistency and would be hurt a good part of this season.

Because 5th starters have to come cheaper than $5m/yr for teams like Pittsburgh.

46. JRay3 says:

Heck on this team as currently constructed he would be a #3 starter.

47. bman says:

@playoffs:

I’ll take 55 on the UNDER

Thanks!!

Dusty Springfield.

Do you think other team PLAN for three starting pitchers to get hurt?

DK: Actually, they do. And it’s smart. But you’re missing the ‘crux’ of the argument even though I stated it kind of plainly up there: The pitchers who were signed to be insurance, to be that depth, were ALREADY HURT. And the Triple-A prospects — with a notable exception of Cole — just aren’t there to make up for it, so the signing of real insurance was a must. As it is for EVERY team.

50. JRay3 says:

I think other teams plan not to sign two pitchers they know were hurt and bank on another with a history of injury problems.

DK: Exactly. AS INSURANCE. And I’ll reiterate that this isn’t hindsight on my part:

That was a pretty good lineup that he faced.

Correia would look good in a Pirate uniform right now.

But I wouldn’t have signed him for 2 year.

52. cosmo says:

100 on the under.

53. JRay3 says:

Why not two years? Correia in the last four seasons has put up:

’09 198 IP, 12 W’s and 3.91 ERA
    ’10 145 IP 10 W’s and 5.40 ERA
    ’11 154 IP 12 W’s and 4.79 ERA
    ’12 171 IP 12 W’s and 4.21 ERA

He is only 32 years of age, and with no certainty Burnett is back, no certainty JMac figures it out, questions on both McPherson and Locke at the MLB level, Cole a half year away, Tallion a year and a half away at least, and the injury bug that either plagues us or we turn a blind eye towards I guess I just do not understand how he would not have made sense.

Everyone acknowledges it all comes down to pitching and the Bucs SP is in some serious shambles and could use some more consistent arms.

The company of former Steelers’ minority owner and current Cleveland Browns owner, Jimmy Haslam is under federal criminal investigation.

55. Kr70 says:

100 on the over, I,ll give this a try

Then name them! Name the teams that have replacements for THREE injured starting pitchers at one time. I’ll be waiting.

And quit inflating the argument. Morton was never signed as an option for the start of the season.

The Pirates left the offseason with AJ, Wandy, McDonald, Karstens, Locke, and McPherson healthy.

What legit free agent is coming into that as depth?

57. radio wave says:

at playoffs: Please give me 50 on the over. For those of us who do not tweet, where can we find the current”window” standings? Thanks

58. radio wave says:

at playoffs: Obviously disregard my previous question. all I had to do was scroll down to the next post. I hope my prediction is better than my computer .

The only thing that makes less sense than giving a 32 yo Correia $5m is giving a 34 yo $5m.

He averaged a 4.48 ERA as a Pirate. He’s posted a sub 4.5 ERA just twice as a starter. He has absolutely zero upside.

The team would be spending $10m for something there is a good chance Locke or McPherson could do for league minimum.

60. pattonbb says:

Hell, I would’ve given him 3 years. There isn’t a hotter commodity in the game than starting pitchers. Unfortunately, the powers that be thought Correia was better suited as mid-relief.

61. JRay3 says:

Without doing a lot of research I will give you one…the LA Dodgers…Greinke cracks his collarbone and the Dodgers have Lilly or Capuano or up until last week prior to a trade Harang waiting in the wings.

When you play to win, you ensure you are covered for the what ifs…the Pirates aren’t even covered to start the season.

62. You got it, and check below for the standings.

NH tried to get Capuano for Hanny and Colleti didn’t budge.

Oh, and all three of those pitchers are oft injured and in their mid 30′s. One of them gets hurt and we’re having the same exact conversation.

Try again.

64. WELCOME BACK!!!!!

You got it

65. WELCOME!!!

You got it

66. JRay3 says:

Tell me when Locke or McPherson have won 12 games at the MLB level?? Their track records to start don’t sniff Correia’s numbers.

Locke MLB Career: 5.52 ERA and 2 total W’s in parts of three seasons.

McPherson: three pro starts, zero wins.
    2013 spring numbers: 0-3 8.46 ERA 1.51 WHIP

Have to plan better than that. But hey we did get Sanchez who is coming off a 1-9 8.07 ERA season but only cost us 1M, money better invested at that rate.

Sorry KC blows past all of these options and I have not even mentioned Morton who does not have a track record and was hurt going in and Karstens who the team did not want to sign due to injury concerns but did after they found out Liriano was hurt and still signed him.

What about the Texas Rangers?

World Series contenders lose TWO starting pitchers and they’re left filling their places with two guys that have two Major League appearances between them.

Where is their depth?

68. JaxBuc says:

Please kind sir (or madam) may I have 50 “bucs” on the OVER?

Good research JRay. Corriea’s stats surprise me.

Compared to what we have seen from JMac, Irwin, and Locke this year, plus the one start from Sanchez, I would take KC back in a heartbeat.

But I am still not sure I would give him a multi-year deal.

Just my opinion

70. JRay3 says:

Try again, the Dodgers swept us, and have no issues with their rotation and still have an arm waiting in the wings.

The Bucs, what happens when JMac is hurt, or does not regain form, or when Locke shows he may not make it at this level, or when Sanchez continues to implode, or when something happens to one of our older pitchers at the top of the rotation.

Sorry facts show it was PI$$ poor planning by NH one of the worst GM’s in baseball once again.

And I will throw in another, the Dbacks, Kevin Towers knows how to run a club…they knew Daniel Hudson was hurt so what do they do acquire Delgado from Braves (who is not even in the rotaion), McCarthy from A’s and have Skaggs waiting in AAA for opportunity.

There is 2, should I continue?

You use two meaningless arguments, wins and spring training stats, to defend Correia over those two.

At some point, you have to figure out if these two can pitch. Veterans, by default, are always going to have a better track record. That’s obvious.

And again, Morton wasn’t signed for April so that argument is moot and EVERYBODY wanted Karstens back so that is as well.

Bottom line is the team isn’t in this situation unless THREE starting pitchers get hurt at the same time. Still waiting on the teams out there that can overcome that with proven, legit starters as “depth”.

72. JRay3 says:

Man I would love to be a Rangers fan…you just said it World Series contenders…not something we can call ourselves or even played in since ’79.

73. Figured there’d be plenty who’d appreciate some classic Penguins gear.

Arizona is a great example. Tons of young pitching.

But how in the world can you use the Dodgers as an example of how the Pirates should be run? There’s about $150m reasons they don’t compare.

75. Ghost says:

Good to hear. After Walker the drop off is still too steep.

76. JRay3 says:

You sound like NH, “meaningless stat…wins”

No wonder we have had 20 losing seasons in a row, just that type of thinking.

Can’t make this stuff up.

77. radio wave says:

I was not in favor of Sanchez making the team to begin with. If he gets bombed tonight, and Cole is not ready and who do we go to fulfill this rotation?

Did you listen to the podcast today?

If so then you’d be saying I sound a lot like Dejan.

79. JRay3 says:

No did not get a chance to listen, actually trying to get also get some work in.

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

331 locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds. Or all. Or a Burgher. Or, just because.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh
    13 countries
    45 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 5 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    4/16/2013 5:16 PM

81. Ghost says:

Marte needs another two-hit game or better for this — I think the Cards make sure it isn’t he or Cutch who beats them and Marte goes 1 for 4…
    FIFTY on UNDER por favor.

82. Brandie says:

Amen, brother. Makes me wonder if it is a combination of the physical and the psychological?

83. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window. Well here is hoping the Bucs don’t dig themselves an early hole tonight and can even the series with the Cards.

As for tonight’s line…this is a good one and equally a tough one. If you take a look at Starling Marte so far this season he has posted a hit in 11 of 13 games or 84.5% of the time. More surprising is he actually has 8 multi-hit games already this season and is doing so at a 61.5% clip. When you dive in a little further, outside of last night’s multi-hit performance, Marte had faced the Cardinals two other times dating back to last season. In those two contests, Marte got one hit in each game and one of those games featured tonight’s starter Jake Westbrook.

Have to wonder if this torrid streak can continue against a pitcher who has gotten off to an equally hot start. I think Marte keeps the hit streak going, just not sure he gets two.

I will take 100 on the UNDER.

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

Baseball people that know far, far more than me have been saying wins are a meaningless INDIVIDUAL statistic for years, Jray.

I dind’t make this up myself, trust me.

85. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Long term gains, they must keep him down until the June date. Short term, they may need him. I don’t believe he’s proved himself yet at the AAA level.

Let’s not rush the gold piece of this franchise.

I’ve always thought it had to be more than just that big ole left field, but who knows?

87. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Tough one…but I’ll 50 on the under.

88. JRay3 says:

How is our Bay area Bucco fan these days…glad to see you back around these parts…hope all has been well.

89. Jason81 says:

Well, since I missed out last night, I’ll just have to put forth a few more units for tonight…100 on the UNDER.

@Jray

Just to be clear, if the argument was that the team shouldn’t have gone into the season with Jmac, Karstens, and Lock/McPherson as starters AND found better replacements for all three then I’d have no issue. In fact, I would’ve loved that. (where you get the money is another story, but I won’t even bring that up)

But it’s not. The argument is that they should’ve had better depth options than Liriano(who will miss just one month) in the event that Jmac struggles and Karstens gets hurt in the first month. Morton never had ANYTHING to do with the rotation at the beginning of the season.

Wandy, Jmac, Karstens, AND McPeherson all had to get hurt at the same time for this to become an issue. Can’t you at least partially admit that timing has been just as big of a factor as poor planning?poor

91. Ditto that, WELCOME BACK!!!!

You got it

92. Playoffs, I’ll go with 100 on the over. Thanks.

Not too much upside with KC, I agree with you TC, no two years for him

94. KJX says:

50 under

Mr. Playoffs, sir…………….

please put me down for 100 drachmas on the OVER.

And please help me find the last Golden Ticket. ;)

Go Mor-Ladrons!!!! (Welsh for Pirates). ;)

96. JRay3 says:

Sure timing has been a part of the factor…but this is what perplexes me as to the situation.

Karstens – NH did not want to sign due to health concerns, so it should be no surprise he gets hurt or suffers a setback in spring delaying his availability.

Liriano – They found out he was hurt, and still decided to move forward and sign him to a two year deal…could have moved on, or needed to make sure we could cover his void for a month or two.

JMac- There were concerns about him going into the season, he was moved to the bullpen at the end of last year, they are hoping he regains form, need to have a plan in case it does not work out that way, which thus far evidence supports he is not back.

McPherson – I will give you that no one could have expected he would get hurt this early in the season (although he has had injuries in the past in the Minors- 2 years ago I believe). So I give you this, however, his showing in the Spring does not support he is near ready to throw at this level every five days so may not be an option.

Wandy – I give you this one as well, no one could have predicted and hopefully he is ok and just misses the one start.

Locke – He has had parts of three seasons to demonstrate if he can become a fixture. I admit he has a small sample size, and am OK with management letting him earn a spot in the spring and giving him a chance to see if he can make it. I actually like Locke a lot but still he is unproven and you need to make sure there is a backup plan if this cheap option fails and does not make it.

The point I am making is this organization had to know it only had two proven pitchers in AJ and Wandy it could feel good about, a guy (JMac) that is waving major red flags, a guy (Karstens) who can not stay in the rotation due to health issues, a guy (Liriano) who would not be ready until May at the earliest and two guys (Locke and McPherson) that they maybe force feeding into the role out of necessity which in the fifth spot maybe ok

Yes they should have found better or more suitable options. But because we do not have internal depth at other positions we have been forced to overspend at SS and at C which further tightens the purse strings on arms, the most important part of the equation. Teams focused on winning now certainly would have as I mentioned above in the Dbacks example, the planned and prepared and have a couple of extra arms and will let performance dictate who goes and who does not.

And yes I agree the timing of this additional rash of injuries just compounds the already existing issue.

97. HAHA!! LOVE IT!

You got it

98. Pucknutz says:

Tough one.
    Like the kid hope he gos 3 for 4

100 OVER

99. JRay3 says:

How is your arm these day @ radio wave?

Since Hague isnt on the team, I have to get the World Court represented………… Greek Money, Welsh cheers.

Hey, someone’s gotta do It !!!!! :)

I think even us idiots that pay for the tickets were worried about the lack of depth in starting pitching.

No its always not just bad luck for the BMTIB

Seriously, you make your luck or lack of it many, many times

Melancholy Happy Trails – Pat Summerall.

103. Joey Mellons says:

50/under.

104. Brandie says:

I think the frustration of being so close last year and having that frittered away due to poor planning, and possibly having that happen again this year is wearing on a lot of us.

+1 Turducken.

106. stuart66 says:

Playoffs, give me 100 geetahs on the Over.

Stuart

107. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I too would like to see Dirty pitch well. Go back to 2010 (I know, I know) and he did well with the Giants.

He has great stuff, just no freakin’ control.

Considering the shape of the starting rotation, a rainout or two wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

109. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

there’s a few, only need to by the time to June. Question is, who’s healthy?

110. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Where’s Crash Davis when you need him?

75 OVER, please.

Very well stated for all, seriously.

But back to my point…I didn’t hear many calls for Jmac to be dropped from the rotation and I CERTAINLY didn’t hear anyone saying Karstens should be. Without those two injuries coupled WITH Wandy AND McPherson ALL in the ONE month Liriano is out, we wouldn’t be in this situation.

Just seems a little much to plan for ALL of that with legit major league starting pitchers as depth. Where do you even store them on the roster?

Read my mind!

We’re not going to need Crash.

Tough one indeed! I’ll put up 100 on the over please. Thank you kind sir :)

116. cherokee23 says:

50 under

117. RobertoForever says:

Playoffs,

Little time tonight for analysis.

Just give me 100 on the under. Hope the Buccos turn the table on the Cards.

118. JRay3 says:

And Sanchez ensures we will continue to have to come from behind early in a game by giving up a 2 spot in the first. ERA now a robust 12.54.

119. Patrick(RI) says:

With a little help from our slick fieding SS. He better start to hit above 250.

I wouldn’t worry about it. I really don’t think they can get 5 innings in.

121. Patrick(RI) says:

Technically, he is on the hook for 1/2 the cardinal runs in thi series!

122. JRay3 says:

fingers crossed

123. JRay3 says:

Am watching on game cast as still at office…did not have luxury of seeing so I missed it.

124. JRay3 says:

Have to give the Bucs lineup credit as they are dinging a rotation that coming in was virtually untouchable…nice job to get two right back.

I wouldn’t get too excited …

126. JRay3 says:

Make it a 3 spot as El Toro gets into that act. Now zero in Sanchez.

You know, there’s probably nothing more inane than “Twitter Tuesday”. But if it means we get to see more Katie O’Malley, then I’m all for it.

I would hate to see the drunken tweets she gets on some nights. Brave woman.

Maybe Katie can handle the rain delay.

Skies look ominous.

They are about to open up big-time.

Here comes the rain

There is a storm, a short break, and then a few hours worth of rain.

If this was WGN and I was a teenager, I would be just about ready to watch a “Honeymooners” episode.

135. JRay3 says:

Will they get it in? If not why start it?

So, with a short deck of characters, who comes back on the mound for our club?

137. JD says:

Gerrit Cole has only given up 1 hit thru 5 innings at Toledo. Indy up 3-0.

138. JRay3 says:

Welcome Vin Mazzaro, next question is who gets called up tomorrow?

Are you at Fifth Third, JD?

140. Officer Mancuso says:

If it’s characters they need, they should make the Asylum a minor league affiliate.

Is anyone else concerned that McPherson is headed for Tommy John ?

142. MadTurk says:

What was the over/under on a rainout?

I think they’re done.

144. Officer Mancuso says:

Oy, a stadium named after the “who’s on first” of banks. Hopefully something’s clicked for Cole at the new level. BTW, this blog’s spell checker flags “oy” as an error. Myron spelt perfectly well, thank you.

145. Officer Mancuso says:

Like the scent of pine trees or sagebrush bringing vivid place memories to mind, his voice and the NFL, and not because he had some peculiar Cosell-type delivery. RIP to a worthy master craftsman.

146. Officer Mancuso says:

Between midnight and 1 AM the chance of storms drops from 80 to 50 per cent. There’s a Nutting wisecrack somewhere deep in that mine.

147. JD says:

Nope. I went last night with my son. Matt Hague tossed him 2 balls. Josh Harrison had a nice game. Tony Sanchez had a nice double, but also struck out twice. Our future savior, Brandon Inge, just missed a HR by inches.

Stopped by BW3 for a couple of beverages tonight and I they had the Mud Hens on. I watched Cole pitch 3 innings. He looked good. Big, strong legs.

148. Officer Mancuso says:

I’d love to know the % of MLB pitchers whose careers ended during the past 15 years, who underwent some form of that surgery. Not that it ends careers, obviously it extends them. But has its availability changed the way people pitch, compared to 1964? And if so, is that a good thing? Just off the top of my head it seems that no position in any sanely organized sport should routinely lead to a need for surgery in order to soldier on. Free agency and massive player paychecks are a double edged sword, perhaps not all roses for remarkably talented athletes motivated by the muse of lucre.

149. twentytwo22 says:

ALERT The game between the Philadelphia Phillies and Cincinnati Reds is underway after a 1 hour 31 minute rain delay

Same system?

150. Officer Mancuso says:

Given its 20 year record of losing, ergo high draft picks, this club has no excuse except GM blindness, for lack of internal depth. You could build the 1929 Yankees from players the PBC passed over in drafts during their long, twisting descent into….(use your imagination, I’m keeping it family friendly).

151. Officer Mancuso says:

Groat and Murtaugh make the Asylum HOF! I like!

152. Officer Mancuso says:

If this game gets rained out, a rare bird risks extinction. Pedro has a hit, raising his batting average to a little less than half the Mendoza line.

Roberto–hope everyone is OK.

154. JRay3 says:

Wow was scanning 24/7 twitter and he retweeted a post that Felix Pie had to be restrained from going into stands at Toledo. Brandon Inge played peacekeeper.

Pretty cool of The Hague.

We have our rainout. Thank you, Crash Davis.

157. Officer Mancuso says:

Bad things happen in Ohio, where John Rocker was sent from the Atlanta Braves to the Toledo Mud Hens en route to well earned infamy.

158. RobertoForever says:

Arriba,

Thanks for asking. Several near misses from friends. One friend that I thought would be closest to finishing the marathon at the 4 hour mark had to withdraw on the morning because of an injured ankle that didn’t feel right in warm-ups.

My one friend’s wife who ran, it took her 5 hours to get home to the suburb after she was stopped from completing.

Another friend, who always goes down to wait at the finish line for some folks who run for charity, decided on the walk over, that they would stop and eat first. Happened when they were finishing up.

Tragic to hear of the victims, the 8-yo, the young woman, and now a Chinese grad student. Just sickening. Hate to see this in the place where so many memories were made during college days. Spent many days on Boylston, and at the Boston Public Library. I just can’t fathom the 12 block area that is just shut down.

Thanks again for asking. Still emotional to talk about. Have to keep tv watching to a minimum.

159. Officer Mancuso says:

You rock Milo. Because you provide information.

Very nice moment at Miller Park during Brewers and Giants game. Played theme from ‘”Cheers” with message on scoreboard to city of Boston.

Brewers aren’t completely awful.

Did anyone mention that Stetson Allie hit his 6th home run of the season?

He’s hitting over .400.

Good to hear, and I understand.

Bring him up!

164. Tonight’s line is a WASH!!

Thanks to all who played, see you tomorrow.

I jinxed everything by wishing the team well in Welsh.
    Wales, a notoriously rainy country.

Next time I will try in Egyptian. ;)

166. Ghost says:

And we’ll have a haboob.
    (Hey, gotta use the word haboob whenever you get the chance.)

I can use it too………

HA neal is a BOOB! ;)

Goodnight, Gracie.

168. Ghost says:

+∞

169. Sisyphus says:

It seems that you haven’t noticed that Cole isn’t getting AAA hitters out.

170. Sisyphus says:

In 1964 pitching didn’t lead to Tommy John surgery because there was no Tommy John surgery. In those days, a sore elbow lead to spot starting/long relief, the minors, or retirement, depending on the pain tolerance of the pitcher.

Pitchers today are no different from pitchers 50 years ago. What’s different is how much money teams have invested in them. There are pitchers out there who could routinely put up 250+ innings a season, but how do you know which pitchers? In the old days you just ran them out there every four days until something broke. You just can’t do that today, when you have a huge amount of money invested in them.