Wednesday Wakeup Call: How safe do you feel?

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Morning, lunatics …

>> The Wednesday column hopes that Boston proves lesson-worthy for stadium/arena security everywhere. My thanks to officials with the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates for their prompt and professional help yesterday.

And this is where you come in.

I share a couple of my experiences up there, and I want to hear yours. Doesn’t have to be at Heinz Field, Consol Energy Center or PNC Park. Can be anywhere, any city, any sporting event that draws a crowd.

I’ll thank you in advance, as I very much consider this to be an actual part of the Wednesday column. (And yeah, your cut of the check’s in the mail.)

>> And then there’s the matter of our own upcoming marathon, as Karen Price reports.

>> The Penguins are playing another outdoor game? Their third?

This reminds me of how the comic book industry, every time it goes into a sales slump, begins adding a bunch of Batman titles. Because Batman always sells. Does wonders in the short term, nothing at all in the long.

Hey how about a game at Buckeye Stadium in Columbus, where they could use it?

>> One versus eight … the dream lives.

>> James McDonald insists he’s healthy. That might be even more worrisome for the Pirates.

>> The Steelers’ complete schedule will be announced tomorrow, but Ben Roethlisberger told teammates at voluntary workouts yesterday that the 2013 season starts right now.

>> Alan Robinson’s NFL draft series opens with running backs.

>> I’ll visit with TribLIVE Radio today at 1:30 p.m. And here’s the podcast of yesterday’s full show.

Comments

1. flizr6 says:

Guess I’ll give it a shot at being first today!

2. Brandon says:

DK made some very valid points in the column today, definitely worth reading. However, I will say that (at least in my experience) the security may be bigger than we see. For instance, I’ve had the chance to work as a sort of liaison between ESPN (and CBS) and Mizzou at Faurot Field on football game days. I’ve been at the stadium at 4:30, 5 am and I’ve seen a policeman with a bomb dog, every time, going through the stadium at least four hours before kickoff. That’s before most press arrives. Not saying what DK said isn’t valid, because it certainly is, but we may be safer than we first think.

3. CWalton_67 says:

“Those who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” — Benjamin Franklin

4. Captain of 205 says:

The security at Penguins games has been a rather poor joke. Just a few weeks ago, my dad and I remarked upon the fact that with very casual wanding and pat downs, it wouldn’t be difficult for a very committed person to get something into the building that could cause damage. It was sort of frightening to discuss, but we just moved on from the topic. That, in and of itself, shows the type of complacency that has set in in the 11+ years since 9/11.

Should we have called our Season Ticket rep and voiced our concerns? Maybe. But we didn’t. Not sure why. But I, for one, will welcome additional legitimate measures that do more to assure safety at my second home.

5. Rich says:

Security at Atlanta venues has actually increased lately (pre-Boston). It’s always been tight at the Dome, with wandings and pat-downs by gender. Philips recently added metal detectors to the entrances (which surprised me). Turner field is the most lax, but bags still get searched reasonably thoroughly and you have to take everything out of your pockets so it can be seen.

In all of these cases, I’m sure they’re looking mostly for personal weapons (knives, guns, etc), but I think it would be tough to get anything untoward in. Now as for how well the facilities are secured prior to the gates being opened to the public, I have no idea.

6. RobertoForever says:

Been greatly affected by seeing this tragedy befall the city of my college days. And I also had to experience downtown Boston on 9/11. Surreal to see the repeat of the streets of downtown emptied. Still haven’t caught up with all my friends there this week. I still dread hearing of one of the many somehow coming up as one of the injured.

And increased security is certainly an appropriate response. To an extent.

But, truthfully, there isn’t enough security to protect America that way.

Think of all the places that this could happen. 5K races / 10k races. Tailgating areas, where whole RV’s are driven in by paying the parking fee. Subway stations before and after events. Fireworks displays in public parks. Vulnerable.

I was at the Metropolitan Opera House in NYC on a Saturday night right before Christmas. A huge open air plaza with three buildings with folks streaming through the plaza, lots of others taking pictures. Vunerable.

Minor league stadiums throughout all of America, where a bobblehead or autograph promotion can have thousands lined up on sidewalks next to busy streets. Vulnerable.

County and State fairs where trucks with animals and other large packages enter, food trailers, booths are setup. Vulnerable.

Don’t see the solution. But if there are folks intent on doing unspeakable acts of horror, there aren’t enough security guards in America to stop them.

7. Shamtown says:

It’s not even professional athletics either. Imagine all the smaller events around the country. How many people show up to a high school football game? Small college basketball games?

They would seem more likely a target than a major, major sporting event.

8. Zach Morrison says:

Penn State basketball, State College Spikes, very little bag checking involved that I have seen. However, I’m not watching for it, obviously. But the security at those events does need to be stepped up.

9. I actually did a double take when I saw a bag being checked at a Penn State basketball game this season, because I had never seen it before.

10. Mike Reed says:

One question that should be asked in all security situations is, “What are you defending against?” Anything that causes mass casualties shouldn’t be the responsibility of teams or their private security arrangements, but law enforcement (likely DHS/FBI supported by local law enforcement). Team security is mostly focused on alcohol and hand weaponry, which are BY FAR more common, and by aggregate more dangerous than mass casualty incidents.

Personally, I feel just as safe today as I did last month, as I did in August of 2001, or even a little more so. But then again, I understand how to evaluate risky behavior.

11. Ghost says:

“Anything that causes mass casualties shouldn’t be the responsibility of teams or their private security arrangements.”

I beg to differ. After-the-fact investigations, yes. But the costs of security in advance of and during private sporting events (conducted for the purposes of making a profit) should be shouldered by the private parties putting on these events. The alternative is that we, the taxpayers, must foot the bill. As it is, the public coffers often have to pay for the extra man-hours required to prepare for and patrol public events, such as parades and festivals. I believe that the Steelers and Pirates, etc. negotiate with local police forces to have security at their games. (Wasn’t there a contract dispute with the Steelers and Pittsburgh’s finest about two years ago?) Otherwise we are talking corporate welfare.

DK: Emphatically agreed. All three teams have pay arrangements with the Pittsburgh Police. If they don’t pay, the burden goes to the taxpayer.

12. Ghost says:

I will say that it is a local governing body’s responsibility to require that certain security standards are met by the teams/organizers of such events. But the bill is to be footed by the organizers.

13. Ghost says:

By the way, this is neither here nor there, but …

A handful of you may remember that a few months ago I was anxious about whether or not my eldest kid would make the varsity baseball team. Well, two-thirds of the way into the season, I think I can relax now and say she has made it.

Yes, “she.”

My 16 year-old daughter tried out for — and made — her high school varsity baseball team with the boys.

It’s not the strongest of programs, so that’s part of the explanation. But she’s been holding her own. She gets in every game, occasionally gets to start (usually at first, rarely in right — she’s a lefty), her BA is .250 and her OBP is in the mid four-hundreds against varsity pitching from these parts. On a team of sixteen, she’s basically the 10th player.

Not bad for a 112-pound girl playing with the boys, huh?

Last week, Bryce Harper’s old team kicked our butts. Tomorrow, we play Chad Hermansen’s alma mater. The season is flying by FAST. She’s got huge bruises and raspberries all over, has been beaned in the spine, in her shins and other places, but she’s loving it.

She says that someday when she has her own little kids, they will have to play baseball!

14. BillyBaduka says:

We may not always agree on sports, but I agree wholeheartedly with you on this.

Well said.

15. Mizery says:

By the way, the Pirates were actually winning, and of course God not being on our side today, decided that we can’t have none of this. And he caste down his vengeance and anger for all of Pittsburgh to see, and with a flash of lightning he restored the loathing and despair by taking away all that was good. In a blink of an eye all that was, was no more. Including Westbrook’s 19.00 ERA after 2 innings.

16. BillyBaduka says:

Great quote.

17. BillyBaduka says:

I agree the organization holding the event should foot the bill.

I don’t think that is the point of the post though. Payment isn’t mentioned, although I can see how it may be interpreted as implied.

When I read the post, I thought it pertained to the training and skill sets of the security resources. I think he’s saying that the people with Security on t-shirts who may just have them for the day are not trained to and should not be relied upon for any sophisticated security threat.

Of course my interpretation could be wrong

18. BillyBaduka says:

Thank you for sharing. That’s great stuff. Congrats on her accomplishments to date. Good luck in this season and in the future.

That’s awesome Ghost!

Thoroughly enjoyed this, Ghost. I wish we could watch your little poltergeist play.

21. John Lease says:

I’d have to disagree with your article Dejan. There is no level of security that is 100%. If someone wants to do something like this, they can’t be stopped. That doesn’t mean you have NO security, but there is no way to prevent something like this happening again.

22. JoeyBats says:

Running Backs for the draft:
    I know the Alan Robison series can only focus on 5 names — a couple of other guys to keep your eye on:
    ** LeVon Bell – Michigan State – 6-2, 235 – I believe the Steelers had him in for a private workout a week or 2 ago. Complete back. Runs inside well. Catches the ball …blocks well. He led the Big Ten in rushing with 1,793 yards, 63 ahead of Wisconsin’s Montee Ball, on 382 carries. Bell finished 2012 with 12 touchdowns while averaging 4.7 yards per carry, and added 32 catches for 167 yards and a score. Ran a 4.56 40 yard dash…..& coming from MSU, a good cold weather back. ;-)

** Joseph Randle – Oklahoma St – 6-0, 204 – …ran 4.59, 40 yd dash….led the Big 12 conference in rushing with 1,417 yards on 274 carries (5.2) and 14 touchdowns, averaging 109 yards per game. He was also active as a receiver, adding 28 catches for 224 yards. …..can serve as an effective kick returner
    ** Marcus Lattimore – South Carolina – 5-11, 221 – you’ve all heard the story about the injury….and the initial gamble a team will have to take on his recovery. Could pay long term dividends.
    ** (sleeper) Knile Davis – Arkansas – 6-0, 227 – had a great combine @ Indy. 4.37, 40 yard dash. 31 reps in 225 bench press.Suppossed to be someone to go in late 4th or 5th round. This junior was injury plagued in college.

I’d say the bill is ultimately footed by the public one way or another.

Dejan. Your point “two” is similar to some points I’ve heard made by talking-head-security-experts who are sometimes interviewed by national news. Not the whining crowd but those who want to get security right.

I’ve heard many of them say, we are fighting the last war, building Maginot Lines against acts that probably won’t be repeated rather than figuring out what bad guys might do NEXT.

If local security has become more lax, my sense is that this is not the case among the national agencies that protect us. While that is not a safe offset, it is worth noting that despite what have been probably hundreds (or more) terrorist attacks in the 12-plus years since 9/11, this is the first to work on American soil. One too many but it is also worth noting that a 12-year shutout doesn’t happen by accident.

One last unrelated but related thought. Last year my firm hired armed security to protect us. Mostly they stay outside our buildings or in lobby/exit areas. No bag checks. think presence and circulating vigilence.

Yesterday morning a team of two were walking together through our building, talking to associates, smiling, and finishing every conversation with, “we wanted to make sure you are alright today.” Wow.

I told them that it is always comforting to see them, and especially today.

25. TK39 says:

Good Morning DK. The file that is downloaded from the podcast link comes up as the show from 4/2 with Matt Cooke as the special guest. Just wanted to give you a heads up. I hope the IT people are able to get the latest file up. I look forward to listening to your radio spots every week.

Thanks for all the great coverage!

Man. The Pirates can’t even win the weather.

I wonder if that snow falling in middle America is blowing your way.

It’s probably not heading my way.

28. Charlie says:

Security at Consol Energy Center is near nonexistant. Men get light, non-serious patdowns, women and children are allowed to walk through completely unchecked. I’ve been 20 roughly 20 Pirates games in 2012 and 2013, and I’ve yet to be checked in any way shape or form. The Steelers do a great job. Although, I could gripe about how they need more employees because it takes 45 minutes to get into the building

JAL’s Travelin’ Man Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pittsburgh Pirates Stats

9 Rumbunter

Gerrit Cole Does Some Good Work

10 Raise the Jolly Roger

Bucs and Cards rained out

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

11 Rant Sports

Joel Hanrahan Trade Making Pittsburgh Pirates’ Neal Huntington Look Like A Genius

12 St Louis Post Dispatch

Cards-Pirates rained out

13 Sports Illustrated

Pirates RHP McDonald says he’s “fine” just off

14 Climbing Tal’s Hill

Ronny Cedeno: Not Wanted

15 Miami Herald

When is it too early to worry?

16 CBS Sports

St. Louis-Pittsburgh Game Preview

17 ESPN

In our ballparks, fear will strike out

18 PBC Site

Pirates’ second game against Cardinals postponed

Notebook: Bucs option Morris, bring up righty Mazzaro

23 Daily Telegraph

Cardiff 0 Charlton 0: match report

24 World Soccer Daily

World Soccer Daily: 10 stories you need to read, 16th April, 2013

PENGUIN BLOGS and NHL Links

25 Pensburgh

Report: Penguins & Blackhawks to Appear in NHL Stadium Series at Soldier Field in March 2014

Travelin’ Man Ricky Nelson 1961 Reached number 1 and the B side, Hello Mary Lou, reached number 9. Written by Jerry Fuller who went on to perform with The Champs and later was the producer for Gary Puckett and The Union Gap. Assume everyone familiar with Ricky Nelson.

33. BurghFan says:

I feel just as safe when I enter PNC Park without anyone fondling or wanding me as I do when I enter a football or hockey game. In fact, I feel a bit safer because I’m not part of a crowd waiting for security outside the gate.

Many of us attended a lot of games at Three Rivers and the Civic Arena without anything more intrusive than being looked at as security, and both we and the buildings survived just fine. It’s possible to make getting into a sporting event as joyless as going to the airport. I imagine that will shorten the lines because people will stop going.

34. Derek Smith says:

I am a big Pirates fan, so I will touch on the experiance there. I guess I haven’t thought twice about it really, kind of the ‘it will never happen to me’ thing. But I feel as safe there as I do anywhere I guess. One thing I will say, bag inspection is at a glance and kind of a ‘we’ll take your for it’ more than a inspection. I always take waters, a poncho, and some extra napkins into the ballpark in a little cooler bag, and it has many compartments that they don’t bother to look at. Now, I do kind of like that because it is quick and I am not a maniac. But, maybe that is something they could look into.

35. JoeyBats says:

Steelers….Heinz Field….let ME gripe ;-)
    Steelers Game Day…..AGREE with your point….the security upon entering the field is very good….except the lines are wayyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooo long….encounterd 45-55 minute waits just to get inside the stadium.
    Rooney’s need to hire more game time staff to wand the people entering event. Our group missed 2 kickoffs and you shouldn’t have to plan to get to the stadium 2 hours before kickoff…..just to get inside! We appreciate & understand the security….but for the prices charged……more staff can be deployed……

DK: The Steelers have been vocally urging fans to use different gates, not just the open end. Even had a lady screaming on the megaphone over there. Not many listen.

I’d say you’re right!

Congrats to your daughter! You must be proud, and rightly so! :)

rub it in!

It’s been years since I’ve been to DaBurgh to a game, but hubby and I go to First Niagara Pavilion at Burgettstown every year, sometimes twice, to see outdoor concerts.
    Thousands of people go there.
    Getting in at the gate, there is same sex pat downs. I usually wear a fanny pack and I have to open it for them to look thru. People have been turned away and told to get rid of bottles.
    Annoyance? Mild. Necessary? Yes.

My take on the Penguins/Blackhawks in the outdoor for 2014…it’s all about the money.
    Young talent…hot commodity.

42. NYBuccoFan says:

DK, Here in NY as you can imagine stadium security is pretty involved. Yet as time passed from 9/11 things eased until the next threat. I would be more concerned about open venue events like the Boston Marathon. In Pittsburgh I’d worry about the Penguin fans watching the game on the big screens outside the arena during the playoffs or fans tailgating before a Steelers’ game. Those places are harder to control.

By the way. Can’t the Pirates catch a break? Gee, there we are 4 to 2 and then get rained out!

43. scapper says:

Exactly! I’d rather live with a certain amount of risk than live with what it would take to maximize our security at all times.

Sure, take a quick glance in the bookbags and maybe give a quick wand wave over people, but otherwise, point me toward the nearest beer vendor and let me find my seat.

Wow. You must have raised one confident girl, my friend. Kudos!

45. kr70 says:

As compared to Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Israel, Egypt, anywhere in Africa, even London and Madrid, we do pretty well. Better places? Australia… Right now would you rather be in Seoul or Boston? Can we be safer? Yeah. Will it get worse? probably. But we still live in the greatest nation in the history of planet earth!

Yes we did. Sanchez was pitching.

47. Dom says:

There have been a lot of mock drafts that have OLB Jarvis Jones falling to the Steelers at #17. If this would happen, would you rather have a NT or a WR in the second round?

48. BurghFan says:

Sadly, getting around from one side of the stadium to the other on game day is very difficult.

Didn’t think I had a relevant example until I saw your handle. Speaking of NY…

I’ve been to MSG twice in the last two years, Pens game in ’11 and Phish shows in ’12.

The security check was unquestionably more thorough at the concert than the sporting event, which would clearly lead one to believe that hippies are enemy #1 in the fight against terror.

But seriously, tying back into Dejan’s article, why are these people more worried about catchng kids bringing pot into the world’s most famous arena than they are catching people sneaking who knows what else?

Hmmm.

51. My thoughts exactly. A 4-2 lead in the first with him on the hill is ominous at best.

Sorry Groaty.

52. Wally Kanowski says:

In Ben’s day, did anyone tie a bomb around their waist and blow themselves up while trying to kill others?

53. Brandie says:

Congratulations to you and your daughter. Maybe the Buccos could use her?

Agreed! let’s set the stereotypes aside, and pay attention to what matters.

55. Very good column. Someone that flies everywhere and works practically every day in an arena or stadium is well qualified to write it. Excellent observations and points well-taken.

Probably the ONLY thing about living in an area like this is the concern for bombs, etc. is minimal. If a bomb was detinated here, it might not even be found for 3 days, let alone hurt anyone.

One man had a model pipe bomb in a storage locker close to town here and didn’t even get jail time for it. He said he built it off an internet site just for something to do and it wasn’t even active to go off. He said he forgot it was in there. Country living at its finest.

56. Brandie says:

At the end of the day, when is it not about the money with the NHL suits?

Wow, sheer stupidity. lol

58. Brandie says:

Agreed. Been to my share of hippie shows and get that vibe at times. Hippies…all they want to do is hug you. :-)

59. Brandie says:

Hippies…hugging out your problems since 1969.

60. MRJWSAYS says:

I’m a Steelers season ticket holder that lives in DC. The security at Steelers games is far better than any at a DC sports event. Occasionally you will get wanded at a Caps or Wizards game. Occasionally. At the Steelers games I am always wanded and patted down. Bags are always check. They seem to take security far more seriously than DC sports teams.

My experience 3 weeks ago……………….

Went to an event, 9,000+ people.

Lines everywhere to enter the arena………. some 45 minutes long.

A security guard sees my knee brace, and me doing my “drunken hippo” limp, and whisks me past all the lines, through a handicapped entrance to be wanded. Policeman comes over, looks at me and says ……. “you look harmless, you can go to your seat, sir.”
    I was stunned. I have never experienced that before. (The wave-thru, not my “drunken hippo” walk.)

My friends joined me 30 minutes later, and when I told them what happened, they were a little concerned too.

Just what happened to me.
    Just think if that happened to a “bad guy”.

LOL girl. My daughter (who is 30) told me while she was still in college. “Mom, it’s not the long-haired, trend-following weirdos you have to watch out for. It’s the clean cut kids who are the druggies.”

Wisdom from your children.

Don’t tell Kyle Stark that hippies are enemies ;-)

scary, eh?

Wisdom once again…I agree Brandie

Message from the Consol Energy to fans:

Well, to be fair, I DO look harmless. ;)
    I didnt have any backpacks, no bulky jacket, etc.

But I thought they would at least wand me, but they didnt.

My friends got wanded, patted down, and I was sitting in my seat eating popcorn.

The potential for a bad thing to happen was pretty great, if the worng person would have gotten in.

68. Exactly. People do carry concealed weapons around here a lot. They go to a 2-hour class and get a license to do it. Like the Old West I guess, but with all that “training” it makes it OK.

One clown dropped his out of his pocket in the court house, of all places, and it discharged. Nobody was hurt, but he lost his “concealed license” and rightfully so. Also avoided jail time.

69. NorthPirateFans says:

I’ve only attended about 6 games at PNC, in the last 10 years, 1 game at Heinz Field and no games at either Consol Center or the Civic Arena and safety is the primary reason though not for any of the reason cited by Dejan. These venues are some of a small number of places that legally licensed residents can not carry their firearms and as such one of the few places we’re unable to defend ourselves should the need arise. And make no mistake, the decisions to place these facilities in some of the worst, crime ridden areas of the city has resulted in observed acts of violence at each and every one of the seven events we attended in that period. Last time it was a brawl between competing ticket scalpers on a side street outside PNC that escalated into a mini riot with bottles being thrown and a knife being brandished before the combatants fled to avoid arrest. Time before that my wife and I found a badly beaten and bloodied woman lying between the cars in the lot where we parked. Time before that we returned to our friend’s car who we’d gone with to find windows smashed and looted along with several others and that was after witnessing a melee break out at the game in the section below us. And this problem is not unique to Pittsburgh as in recent years there have been numerous instances of gang and crime related violence at sporting events some of which have resulted in death to innocent fans attending them. We moved out of the city due in no small part due to the chronic violence and crime problems, we avoid traveling into the city whenever possible because of it and are armed on those occasions when we can’t avoid it and walking unarmed through the sea of drunken brawlers, panhandlers, gang members and criminals that descend on the areas on game days is simply to much risk to endure in order to watch a sporting event.

70. Dan B says:

DK or anyone else,

Do you know why the Pirates are advertising their game 3 tonight against St. Louis to be broadcast on mlb network, yet mlb network doesn’t have the game in their line-up? It’s been on the Pirates website broadcast schedule, as well as popped up during Cinci tv game Saturday night. Neither comcast nor mlbnetwork.com lists the game as part of their schedule.

Thanks,

Dan

I’d rather spend three hours getting a complete body cavity check from TSA than going to a Phish concert.

Root is televising the Pens.

They must have an agreement where a local team can switch over if their original TV network cant do it, I guess.

Another hockey tidbit:
    Pens signed Hartzell, the goalie who led Quinnipiac to the NCAA National Championship Final, to a $925K entry level contract. We’ve got Zatkoff in the system. Zatkoff outplayed Thiessen for the starting goalie job in WBS. Thiessen is a free agent at the end of the season. I’m guessing he’ll likely go. Goalie is a position that this organization needs to address, and I’m hoping Hartzell sticks around to back up Zatkoff. Here’s the link:

…the irrepressible Ricky.

I don’t have a problem with concealed weapons with the proper license. But man, that uhhh…person who dropped his at the courthouse deserved to have his license revoked. Wow, just wow.

ZING!

77. Joshua Reicks says:

No but there were uprisings and threats to the standing government which were extremely common during his time. America is only great if it can keep from becoming an authoritarian police state. One of the ways a police state develops is by good people advocating for random police searches and seizures of individuals who have never been suspected of committing a crime, in the name of safety. While I am as disturbed by this act of violence as anyone, post 9-11 security measures are not where the discussion should start.

78. Sisyphus says:

In Ben’s day, men acted on their beliefs without regard for the safety of themselves or their families.

79. Jason says:

Are the Pens just wearing their regular jerseys for next season’s outdoor game? Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t it reported that there wouldn’t be an alternate jersey next season?

I’ve never been able to figure out why someone needs a backpack to go to a ballgame. Always makes me nervous.

81. scapper says:

While stadium security deserves attention, I think we’re all forgetting the biggest current threat: Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals. Just won 12 of 14 and looking way too confident and chemistry-cized for my liking. Could be this year’s Kings, which would be my worst sports nightmare come true.

82. CWalton_67 says:

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is a shining example of the inadequacies of American public education–the inability to think critically.

Awesomeness all around, people. Well done!

Maybe we’ll look back on this game and see it as the one that broke the Pirates’ season….just like the game in Atlanta in 2011 and when Chapman plunked Cutch last year.

85. SeanAY says:

What’s even worse is when you’re at a major festival that’s watching every nickel and dime. I went to my first – and perhaps last – SummerCamp Festival in 2011 and soon felt the weight of their restriction on bringing in outside libations.

NO ONE should ever have to pay $44 for a case of Budweiser in these United States. But I digress.

At the University I work for, the security at basketball is laughable, and is the same in most places I go. We SID’s have a saying; “If you’re wearing a suit and walking with enough conviction, no one’s going to stop you.”

I’ve never felt unsafe in any of these places, but I can certainly see where the opening for a problem could be.

Romney warned us about Russia. Who’s laughing now?

88. DanW says:

As a Pitt football season ticket holder, I find Heinz field security to be inconsistent. In the column DK mentions having to flick on electronic devices. I have never had to do that, for either my phone or my kids’ Nintendo DS.

I also don’t understand the reasoning behind allowing bags of a certain size (8.5 x 11 I believe), but NOT if they are backpacks. What does the type of bag have to do with security? Once they refused us entry because my daughter had her book and markers in a drawstring nylon bag that could be worn as a backpack (it was allowed other times). Of course it was fine when we got a plastic bag from the team store outside the gate and put everything, including the drawstring bag, inside it. But supermarket plastic bags are prohibited. Also, you can’t bring in any drinking containers unless they are empty, except for the $5 lemonade and iced tea they sell at the vendors outside the stadium. From these two examples, I sense a willingness to compromise “security” for profits.

89. hockeymonster says:

Dont mean to deviate from more serious concerns but for the sake of lightening the mood I was wondering if anyone heard of the pens showing interest in Malcolm the Yale goalie? He held up against 3 #1 seeds and looked as athletic and quick laterally as Hartzell…maybe even more so. Thought he was as impressive as anyone in the tourney.

90. cosmo says:

If they could sign Bradshaw for one year on the cheap, I’d take a shot at Lattimore. With all of the other areas of need though it would be tough to gamble on him. But then again, if he is there in the sixth round ??

91. Naje says:

I believe DK may be thinking about security for credentialed media. You most certainly will be asked to turn on/off your devices going through Heinz Field media security entrance… but like you DanW, I’ve never had that issue when attending a Steelers game or Pitt game as a ticket holding fan.

92. cosmo says:

and ratings. Who would you rather watch, Pens-Blackhawks or say Panthers-Lightning.

93. Iceman says:

Read a great article by Mike Colligan over at The Hockey Writers regarding the Hartzell signing. He made some great points, one being that this signing may be more than it appears. Hartzell could have been brought in as a potential number 2/3 goalie for future years if Fleury has another post season flop and the Pens decide to part ways with him. Not saying that I see this happening, but Shero and management have shown and expressed that making it to the playoffs is not enough for this team. Winning the Stanley Cup is the bar for a successful season.

94. Needless to say, he hasn’t won any Rhodes Scholarships, but there are a lot of others like him and that’s a big problem.

95. Iceman says:

Thought I read somewhere that Hartzell was the only college goalie the Penguins considered for signing.

96. You mean in a bad way? Or changed the Pirate season so we could skip Sanchez?
    (in a good way, IMHO)

97. Naje says:

DK enters arenas, in general, well before most others do. He speaks about his ability to enter/exit these venues and not necessarily about the experience a fan has (though he cites quotes and has asked for experiences from fans). Before we take his word as “every fan”, know that he, in general, enters and exits almost every venue/game he is covering well ahead of spectators. And he enters through a media/credentialed entrance which is far different and, most times, far easier to access. Though the Steelers media entrance is very strict… doesn’t matter if you’re local, national, or a guest: you’re getting checked and you’re turning on/off your handheld electronic gear.

98. Brandie says:

Whoever gives me the most for my hard earned entertainment dollar, Cosmo. I want it to be the Pens, but things often happen, teams go through slumps, the Nuttings take ownership, etc.

99. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl says:

Good article. While it would be a major pain, I would be completely on board if the Pirates and the Pens stepped up their screening. When talking with friends after the Pirates home opener, I really was surprised to learn that two people in my group actually entered PNC Park with hand guns, holstered under their coats. Both have carry permits. Both acknowledge that firearms are prohibited in PNC Park. Both said if security would have found the weapons, they would have returned them to their vehicles without complaint. When asked for the reason they carried the guns with them, both cited the lack of what they felt were adequate security measures. They said they do the same for Penguins games, but not Steelers or Pitt because of the wanding. I do not doubt that they weren’t the only people in the park with handguns on them.

I see Stetson Allie hit another dinger last night.

Kinda impressive, I think that is No. 6 for him

101. bwzimmerman says:

FWIW, i often hit the ballpark on my way home from work (or play hooky at lunch for day games). It is common practice during bag check at PNC Park to demonstrate that all your electronic devices (laptops, tablets, etc.) can be powered on.

102. Brandie says:

Dang straight.

103. Brandie says:

I am impressed. Let’s see if he can make that bat sing consistently. I want to see him in a Pirate uniform on name value alone. How exciting will it be to see the name Stetson listed in your program? I see a Stetson hat promotion giveaway in the near future.

Good lord that is terrifying.

No offense to your friends, but the last thing any of us needs at a sporting event is John Wayne taking security measures into their own hands by emptying a clip into a crowded space.

105. JRown32 says:

Being familiar with the security practices at Heinz Field (for both the Steelers and Pitt), I was totally shocked at the complete absence of security at Penn State’s Beaver Stadium. Once your ticket is ripped, you can simply walk right into the stadium with absolutely zero encounters with security. The first game I went to was the first game without Joe Paterno, when security should have been at its highest (for PSU standards), as there were extremist groups in the area and the National spotlight was on the University’s safety practices for those around the football program. It’s obvious to me that Penn State is simply a place that disregards the safety of those who attend their events for the sake of a “good Saturday,” even down to the parking lots. I attempted to leave the parking lot after the game, but was unable to because of the tents, debris and cars blocking the exits. I fear that one terrible occurrence will happen in Happy Valley, because they appear to be, in no way, prepared to handle such a thing.

106. Jason81 says:

The game is being broadcast on the alternate channel for MLB Network if you are a DirecTV subscriber (Channel 214). Any other provider, I’m not sure about, but the Root Sports website did provide a list of channels for where to find the game on each specific provider.

I didn’t take it seriously until I saw Baseball America pick up his story and say he has the chance to turn into a legit prospect.

If anything, I think his story hurts his prospect status right now. Just really hard to believe. If those numbers were coming from some hot shot Latin American we’d be calling him this years Gregory Polanco.

108. pattonbb says:

well played, sir.

109. Vinny Giardina says:

They did similar things.

And I like it!

woah!

112. BillyBaduka says:

Terror is not new. People have been doing despicable things to each other since before written history.

The methods change but the goal of striking fear is the same.

In Ben’s days they didn’t have suicide bombers no but they did burn houses down bot on the side that supported colonists and the side that supported the king.

That was the terrorism of the day.

113. Brandie says:

Why think critically when the “answers” are constantly being fed to us by our betters? When we refuse to think for ourselves, we give others Carte Blanche to think for us. When that happens, no one has the right to complain.

114. Agreed whole-heartedly. And what good does a hand gun do against a bomb? Most people get insulted or offended at ball games on a regular basis by obnoxious fans or ones who have had a little too much. What are we going to do, shoot them?

Move along. These aren’t the droids you’re seeking.

115. What’s even more surprising, he hit .200 or so in Rookie League last season and K’d about as much as Pedro.

He must have put his nose to the grindstone over the winter. Hats off to him.

116. Brandie says:

Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale.

Unfortunately, with the way things are headed, probably more and more people will be packing guns, thinking they can protect themselves that way.

That just makes things worse, IMHO

Is that an option?

119. Dom says:

Very good article, DK. I rarely go to Steeler games but I take a lot of comfort in knowing that they take such precautions.

It never occurs to me that people around me at seemingly innocuous locations like ballparks, churches and supermarkets will have handguns on them.

Quite frankly, I am happy I was raised to think that way.

121. Brandie says:

Hats off for being self determined.

Waittaminnit. Waittaminnit. Waittaminnit.

Lucky, are you objecting or suggesting?

Because if the latter, you may be onto something.

A new between inning entertainment.

Combine target practice with the pierogi race.

The Pirates Pierogi Race.
    They REALLY Don’t Want To Lose.

124. Brandie says:

We just had a situation in my small town where an ex state cop shot his estranged wife and killed himself in a supermarket in my small town. As someone who works bin mental health, remember an individual’s sanity or that of a group is definitely a wild card.

This is probably nothing out of the ordinary in Kentucky, right?

126. Brandie says:

Should say in, not bin.

127. gregenstein says:

Not really by the public. It’s footed by the paying customer, not someone who stayed home.

128. Brandie says:

Sounds more like a date.

129. gregenstein says:

Jed: “Where you goin’, Jethro?”

Jethro: “Down to the Ceee-ment Park to hunt me some Pierogis!”

131. SeanAY says:

Miss Kitanya Irenya Tatanya Karenska Alisoff. You know, from the Moscow Bugle.

132. Brandie says:

The Polish Hillbillies.

133. There have been a few I’d like to have shot. I remember going home smelling like beer from some fan spilling it all over me and my wife saying “you haven’t drank beer since high school, what were you doing?”

Also, she went to a game with me once and, sitting in left field at 3 Rivers, she almost got broken in half by a fan jumping over her to get a batting practice ball someone was tossing up to our section. I’d like to have done more than shoot that guy.

I know this will spur wife comments, Drewster, but I didn’t want to see her killed over a beaten-up batting practice ball.

134. Right. And we’re right on the Tennessee border. Imagine what goes on there.

135. Brian in Brooklyn says:

I very rarely comment here DK, but I have to note that articles like this are the types of things that get referenced by some congressman as “a public outcry for change”… etc etc that is ultimately used to take more and more of our personal freedom away in all public space. I would rather sacrifice a modicum of security to be able to go to public areas without being interrogated and harrased.

I hope that I am not in the minority in this opinion in the US.

DK: Outcry? I’d like to see our sports stadiums be safer. We can’t afford even one incident of that scale. Sole point.

136. +1

Especially in this day and age.

137. JRay3 says:

Great story @ Ghost, thanks for sharing. As a proud father of a six year old daughter this inspires!

138. Jason81 says:

Only if the agent buys him dinner and drinks first. :)

I totally get that. It wasn’t a ball from live game action.

140. Brandie says:

Some people call that selfish…I call it an investment.

Yes. I saw Deliverance.

ROFL!

143. Guess I said that wrong. Imagine that.

144. Brandie says:

Gotta have standards.

145. gregenstein says:

I’d try and trade up in the 2nd round to get Tyler Eifert (TE from Notre Dame) if he’s still available on day 2. Otherwise, stay put and take one of Zach Ertz (TE), Robert Woods (WR), Eddie Lacy (RB), or Jesse Williams (DT). Hard to say who will be available. I wouldn’t be upset if they went after Jamar Taylor or Desmond Trufant at CB either but I don’t think they’ll be available.

Absolutely.

Makes sense now to look back and say that his struggles should’ve been expected after not picking up a bat in two year nor ever seeing pitching above Ohio high schoolers, but I’m as guilty as anyone of seeing those numbers and dismissing him completely.

Josh Bell seems to be adjusting to the competition as well.

147. And a good example to others his age. (and older)

Yinzer danishes

149. Can’t wait to see him in the outfield for the Bucs.

Uh-oh, the Jandy typo disease is spreading!

151. Brandie says:

Can I get those at Giant Iggle?

Josh or Stetson? :)

153. Brandie says:

That’s why all keyboards should come with the ‘duh’ key.

154. Mercy.

Guess these Low-A games we go to here in KY are not a good cross section.

I wouldn’t bet against it ;)

How did you NOT punch the lame brain in the schnozz????

157. Josh.

I think Stetson will be at 3rd or 1st. Maybe he’ll be ready by the time Pedro signs with the Yankees.

158. Didn’t want to mis-represent. Was there with a church group. Also, I didn’t know she actually got hurt until later. I spoke to the guy. He was calm after that.

You’re so much nicer than I am, Spunky. Someone did that to my hubby, I’d have been on his back LOL

Brandie, you’re a girl after my own heart…greedy ;)

And Spunky, you’re getting waaayyy too cynical hanging out in here…I’ma have to ground you if you keep it up :P

Stetson looks like he could blow up NFL size holes as a fullback.

Must have went straight from the mound to the weight room.

The kid literally does not have a neck.

NMR you made me curious. Gotta go look up a picture.

164. Brandie says:

Watch out for The Jandinator-She’ll kick your…

Brandie, have you heard? I use my size 9 wides as a weapon ;)

Biz, good job, you started all this!

167. Brandie says:

NMR…The next Bo Jackson maybe?

168. BillyBaduka says:

Nice!

Brandie, you sure bring more fun here…even with the dismal subject at hand. Hope you stick around, girl :)
    I gotta put the nose to the mill….work needs done…I’ll check in a bit later…enjoy your afternoon all :)

170. Brandie says:

Must get Moose and Squirrel.

171. Brandie says:

I got kids to transport…Back later.

172. JRay3 says:

I read in the St. Louis paper that the game last night that was rained out has to be made up in the Cardinals next visit to Pittsburgh July 29-Aug 1, due to a new MLB rule. That will turn the four game series into a five game set.

Just curious if anyone is familiar with what rule that is?

173. dcpinpgh says:

I think the article was written out of fear and not logic.

Mass murderers don’t wake up and say, ummm, should I get some ice cream, bomb a marathon, or shoot up a school today. Don’t confuse evil with stupid. Almost all of these events are planned months if not years in advanced. It’s not that hard to get a security or vending job at an arena or a stadium. Again, evil is planned, get a job and wait.

On a side note, next time you are in a football game, look around and see how many people snuck alcohol into the game. If you can get that in, what else can you get in?

Plus, with all the stadiums there is always thousands of people trying to get in the game last minute, standing shoulder to shoulder, right outside security. What would happen if something went off there?

Fear overrides logic. The bottom line is, if someone is willing to kill, there is no law, no background check, no registration, that can save you.

It’s that blind squirrel and acorn thingie

175. JaxBuc says:

Thoroughly enjoyed your story. That is AWESOME.

As the father of five daughters, I have found a different sense of pride for them when they have played in coed situations. My 10-year-old twins play flag football on a team that is 70% male and currently play on a coed soccer team, but all of their opponents are teams comprised solely of boys. No where near the same situation as playing high-school varsity baseball (that is so cool), but I think I get some small sense of how you feel.

176. CeehowUR says:

If someone wants to disrupt any type of event, I don’t believe there is adequate security to stop them. I have very little faith in my fellow man. With so many people carrying weapons legally and illegally, the chances of one of them going off accidentally or intentionally increase your risk daily, esp. where so many weapons-holders are either mentally ill, desperate, or fancy themselves as an action hero or member of law enforcement. Heck, the same people that wave to you at church will cut you off on your way to work.

But you can’t live your life waiting for something to happen. Focus on what you are there for, rather than the potential risks. But also be vigilant, within reason.

177. Ermine says:

You are exactly correct, my friend.

Haha, I get your drift Brandie.

Certainly has some of the size.

179. gregenstein says:

Her friends call her Kitka. Love it.

Wait, are we talking about you or NH? :)

Seriously though, IF this whole hitter experiment works out, Neal has some lucky stars to thank. Not that it would matter in his new position as assistant to the assistant minor league pitching scouting director.

Not make Fearless Leader mad.

182. I think a bit of context is sorely needed here. Ben Franklin was rallying the Colonists around the idea of revolution from an oppressive British rule which forsake them basic liberties.

I’d argue that the American people today have a fairly high level of “essential” liberties awarded to them. Certain liberties, like the ability to shout “Fire!” in a crowded theater, are restrained in the name of public safety: these are hardly essential. Nor should it be essential to bring devices which could cause mass destruction or devastating loss of life into a large gathering of innocent people.

183. gregenstein says:

Agreed. Been to a couple games recently. Security there is pretty nonexistent.

184. Andrew says:

Sadly, my immediate thoughts after Monday’s news were exactly the same, regarding stadium safety. Like Dejan said, outside of Heinz, the sociopath part of me always is amazed at how easily I could have brought anything into PNC, Consol, McKechnie, or several other stadiums. As long as you don’t bring bags, it seems too easy.

The first time I went to Consol, I stood at the door for a few moments longer, expecting to be patted down more than one time under my armpits. My friend laughed at me as I stood there with my arms outstretched. If you’re only going to do one pat, why on earth would it be one time under my armpits?

would give it more pluses, but I cant count that high………..

186. pattonbb says:

I don’t know if there will ever be adequate security in place to protect a 26.2 mile marathon route. Those things are a security nightmare on many levels.

Sporting events at stadiums are another story. I’ve been really impressed at places (KC’s Kauffman Stadium comes to mind), and actually a little alarmed at others (Doak Campbell stadium, FSU football).

My one and only trip to a Royals game saw people being wanded, and random smears being taken on some hand held items, then checked for explosives (I presume). Not sure if that’s the norm, or maybe something was going on. Either way, I was impressed at not only their attention to detail, but by how smooth the process went.

At Doak Campbell a couple years ago, I left at halftime because of the fights taking place in the stands. It was the one and only time I felt threatened at a sporting event. My one memory of that night was seeing a “security guard” walking up towards the one fight and saying “they’ll tucker themselves out in a few minutes”.

Security responsibilities at any sporting event go beyond wands and bag searches. People need to believe if something happens in the stands, that there will be an appropriate response. That wasn’t the case in Tallahassee. And because of that, I will never go back.

187. CWalton_67 says:

Exceptionally well stated. And with liberty comes individual responsibility, the internalization of knowledge that you are accountable for your actions that may infringe on the rights of your fellow citizens by commission, omission, or negligence.

I agree with Dejan that our sporting events are in fact, soft targets, and I do not advocate that we completely disregard security measures at these events. To do so would be imprudent. Nor will I advocate for further unconstitutional infringements of our individual liberties. America at its base is an IDEA, the idea that men and women are free by right. The Constitution and Bill of Rights assume that we are inherently good. With that assumption comes risk, and that risk makes the IDEA the most successful experiment in human history. No amount of security measures can prevent an individual dedicated to evil from attacking us. The only way to prevent this is to change our way of life. We can hide in fear, or stand proudly together and let the cowardly know that we will never falter in our beliefs. Once we become a risk averse, rather than a risk mitigation society, we have lost, the idea dies, and those who oppose us are victorious. And every single one of those who have sacrificed their lives for our IDEA have done so in vain. We must never allow it.

Well that’s what I was saying.

189. CWalton_67 says:

Mr Forecheck, liberties are not ‘awarded’ by the the government. Liberty is a right of all men and women. The government is to protect it.

See my reply above regarding the responsibility that comes with freedom.

“Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.”
    –Thomas Jefferson

190. In light of some of the above comments and the column topic, I feel compelled to mention this.

I don’t want to offend anyone of different beliefs, as this is a sports blog and not my blog, but, with DK’s permission, I think this may help some. He can erase it if he thinks necessary and it won’t offend me in the least.

Those of us who believe the Bible need to read or preferably memorize Psalm 91. Read it every day and read it to your children if you have them and get them familiar with it. Speak it over your family and anyone you have spiritual authority over. I’m sure Patrick who wrote the letter yesterday is quite familiar with it.

I memorized it many years ago and never leave home or do anything without it and have been safe and protected time and again and, I’m sure, many times I’m not even aware of. Same for my family, as we can’t be with them every minute of every day.

Again, I don’t want to offend anyone on here who is an atheist, agnostic, or any other belief. Just want to share this because, I believe, it is our only form of real protection anywhere on earth.

Can’t help you with the rule, JRay.

Enjoyed the back and forth with you on the pitching subject yesterday. Good points, for sure.

192. Nicely put, Chris.

+ 1

Spunkster, this doesn’t offend me, I’m fallen away Catholic. I say a prayer every morning, asking God to watch over family and friends, and everyone driving the roads, and ask Him to keep us all safe in the palm of His hand.
    Psalm 91 is even better.
    Amen.

pssst…use your toes…

196. CWalton_67 says:

Thank you, sir. Your post below was also very well done.

Thanks for the Man of Steel trailer link. Looking forward to it. Crowe proves already a better cast than sleepwalking Brando. And Amy Adams has requisite moxie to play Lois Lane.

Film will rise or fall on performance by Henry Cavill.

198. JRay3 says:

Likewise @ NMR…the one thing I enjoy about this blog is even though there maybe different ways of seeing, interpreting, or looking at items which leads to varying opinions, I always realize we all share the same common bond…we are all very passionate about the PBC and the game of baseball.

199. SeanAY says:

The trailer at least seemed to hit the right sentiment.

I’ve heard Chris Sims state it like this, more or less: Superman’s real superpower is to always do the right thing, even if it’s not easy, and to therefore inspire others to follow his example.

If this movie captures this sentiment, it’s a successful adaptation.

200. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl says:

Even the one guy’s wife was surprised to find out he carried the gun with him to the game (and does so on a regular basis). I also wish I had not learned this, because as someone mentioned below, I never gave it a thought that fans at the game may be armed. Now I look around my section and think about it pretty regularly.

hippos have toes?

O.o

23′s not bad either. But I probably shouldn’t do this

203. Ex-Pat Pittsburgh Girl says:

If we could limit the target practice to the obnoxious drunks, the Woo-ers and Wavers, I may be in favor. (JOKING).

204. Very true on point one.

This one does ;)

Make it paintball, that’ll work!

207. Dom says:

FYI, they arrested a suspect from the tragedy on Monday.

Good news!

I have CNN on, and they say now that isnt true.

They are looking for someone, but no arrest made, as was previously thought. :(

LOL!

211. JRay3 says:

Pretty interesting stat I just came across:

AJ Burnett’s 27 K’s in his first three starts is the most by a Pirate pitcher since Jose DeLeon’s 28 K’s in first three starts of 1985.

Now there is a name from the past.

yeah I see it’s someone who was seen leaving a bag somewhere.

214. Dom says:

Yep, unfortunately you’re right but it seems like it will just be a matter of time till they do catch the guy.

When was the last time any of these clowns got some information right before broadcasting?

I wasnt born back then………….

“Dewey defeats Truman”
    “Man Bites Dog”

The news today is a race to be first, not accurate.
    In the rush to get the “scoop”, they give us “poop”.

217. Kevin says:

me, I am just waiting for the president to begin public registration for pressure cookers… because, hey, pressure cookers can be used as an explosive device. Just another thing to horde along with my guns and religion.

DK: No politics here. Ever.

I don’t know about you, but I think someone has hijacked the real Drew ;-)

219. Or fryers, so nobody cooks with them or offers anything fried to school kids.

lookin’ like it’s at least an imposter, Biz ;)

221. Don’t let him fool you. He knows the Bible.

Hopefully they will catch this guy/gal soon.

I am outta here til about 6:30ish………. for Playoffs window.

Go Pens!
    Go Bucs!

Go Boston!

223. NorthPirateFan says:

The problem is though, while some people have a mind set that they’re safer at the stadium if people who legally allowed to carry guns are prevented from doing so these policies only add to the gun crime problem.

Most people aren’t carrying because of what they expect to happen inside the stadium but what might happen getting to or from the stadium. So what ends up happening is those who comply with the stadium/arena policy leave their guns in their cars where they are frequently stolen.s.

The guns used in criminal activity are more often than not obtained by stealing them from cars and homes. The safest place for any handgun is in the possession of a law abiding, properly licensed person with a demonstrated history of responsibility.

Instead of looking around and wondering who might or might or might not have a gun in a particular place, we should be more concerned about the guns that are being stolen as I type this and will eventually be used in a future crime because ofan ill-conceived policy that requires people to leave their guns unattended in order to enter.

He knows a lot more than he lets on…

225. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

From someone that has to deal with different type of security measures EVERY single day, the biggest risk could be standing around waiting to be screened.

Now, I haven’t been to Heinz, PNC, or the Consol (at all) in a few years and don’t exactly remember the security measures, but if you have a gaggle (technical term) of people standing around, that is when the enemy would attack.

I have yet to see a sports facility do anything proactive or productive with security measures.

In SF for a Giants game, a stadium that is sold out every single night, is setting themselves up for disaster. Every entrance is a mess.

All in all, I’m not concerned about what might happen when I’m INSIDE facility, but what could happen outside of the facility. That’s where people really need to be protected.

226. Dom says:

That one is accurate. The Pirates haven’t had a winning season while this management team was in power.

227. Kevin says:

they’re all druggies these days… its a druggy druggy world. You have a headache? take a pill, you have allergies? take a pill, you have attention problems? take a pill, you hate life? take a pill (with or w/o alcohol).

228. Rob says:

Hi Pittsburgh,

I’m one of those that reads but doesn’t usually comment, but this column Dejan really bothers me. How safe do I feel? As safe as I did last week, last year, 10 years ago. I’m not big on statistics, but what are the real odds that anyone of us living in this country are going to be a victim of terrorism? No I don’t mean the laws we all now endure which violate our privacy rights, just the odds that you or me is going to be blown up, in a building that a plane is flown into, or any other soup of the day terrorist act we hear so much about in the heads lines. My guess is those odds are not as good as you being involved in a traffic accident, or dieing of a heart attack before the age of 50, or you pick the event.

How much fear should we all carry around with us? How much is enough, and what real good does it do considering the odds of us being directly involved in an act of terrorism? How much more of our freedoms should we give up, and what real security does it actually provide? What is the terrorists goal? Oh yeah, instill fear in the public.

When are we going to start asking the right questions? When are our sports writers, all media for that matter, along with our politicians going to ask why these terrorists feel their only recourse is to blow up innocent bystanders? I’m not condoning these actions or even justifying them. The issue is people are fed up with the way the world is, and realize that our so called leaders have no answers, except to burden the average citizen with their ineffective solutions.

So let’s all sit back now and feel better that we will see more security guards standing at the entrance to any game you go to and feel assured that fewer screw balls can walk in with a device. We have a problem people and it is not the number of security guards standing there eyeballing you and patting you down as you enter the gate. But if it makes you feel safer then all is ok. Now you all feel safer right?

DK: ‘Only recourse?’ You’d really rather prefer to view this through the eyes of the terrorist?

Be my guest.

229. Kevin says:

so, in other words, are they putting Fleury on notice with this signing? or is that a stretch?

230. Kevin says:

maybe they can borrow the steelers bumble-bee jerseys…

231. Kevin says:

yes excellent insight.

232. Rob says:

Yes. that’s why they’re terrorists. But who were they prior? Where they born terrorists? No, you, me and the majority of individuals don’t resort to terrorism. But we have a nice label which makes us feel better because their extreme, and they have a “name”? Why does the guy go out and blow away his family before he blows a whole in his head. Is he a terrorist? How about the country that invades another and blows away a percentage of its population? What “recourse” example are we supposed to use? Why don’t we ask those questions? Until we do do, why bother asking anyone if they feel safer? Because someone is getting patted down and wanded? Or it only matters because you go to sporting events? You can’t get there from here unless you ask those questions.

DK: Wow, yeah, I’ll spend the rest of my waking hours wondering what we could have done to prevent someone from wanting to bomb nails into children’s legs. If only I’d cared a little more about that guy’s feelings …

233. Rob says:

ok Dejan, time to close your eyes or is that your mind and go back to sleep. Really hope you feel “safer” now.

Feelings, interesting point you raise though. Fear is a feeling the last time I checked. Plays right into the terrorist play book too. Thanks for contributing to the age of fear, and offering a solution. That’s your solution right, you implying if we all care about the nail bomber, he won’t, or more armed security will make it just all go away.

DK: Does this come with subtitles?

234. BillyBaduka says:

DK,

I don’t think anyone that has posted here today would disagree with your point on another incident. Sorry for speaking for others, I can say with certainty that I agree.

Some are saying that more security can’t always be the answer. Because no amount of security can 100% assure safety. I think most on the more security side would agree there is a limit to the security too.

It’s a discussion on what is “reasonable”. In quotes not to diminish it, but to recognize that it’s definition needs to be agreed upon or determined by majority.

It’s not fair to take the banner of “no more occurrences” for one side of the debate. Nobody wants to see something like this happen.

To stretch the security argument to a logical extreme (and not that far fetched if more security is always the answer): are we talking cavity searches? How far does the security go?

I don’t think There are many on the side of security that would support cavity searches at sporting events. That’s what I mean that there has to be agreement or majority determination of what is reasonable.

You seem to be taking the position that more security will stop these acts. Some do not think that is true. But that doesn’t mean that folks cautioning against security as the only answer feel less troll guy about not wanting this to happen again.

Please excuse me if this should have been a new post.

DK: I have zero problem with anyone disagreeing. Made a legit attempt to understand what Rob was trying to say up there, eventually gave up.

235. BillyBaduka says:

Thats supposed to be ‘strongly’.

troll guy? Really, that’s the suggestion. :)

Guess I stopped proof reading a little too soon.

236. Rob says:

Haha, maybe it should I guess. One of the things about your writing that I appreciate is your addressing root causes, not band-aids. My only point is your raising this issue about feeling safer is only band-aid, if that. Until we start openly discussing the root causes, talking about why the band-aid doesn’t work, or isn’t big enough only speaks to the band aid or blood. I know we all get caught up in the event when it is fresh in our minds, and most times only think about how it affects our individual world.

The only thing I do know is problems aren’t solved until the root cause or causes are identified, and that is only the start of the debate. That is why I made my original comment about this post. At the very least I thank you for reading and acknowledging my comments.

DK: I agree with and respect that all-around. Thanks for your input and for clarifying, Rob. It’s an immensely complicated — and vexing — problem. I elected to focus on one area, that’s all.

237. BillyBaduka says:

It may be silly of me, but I’m glad you two came to mutual ground on this.

I’m actually pleasantly surprised at the lack of incivility in the discussion here today. Good to see.

238. Rob says:

Thanks Billy/Dejan,

Next time I’m in Pittsburgh I’m buying (at least the 1st round) After a few we can solve all the Worlds problems, I’m a bit mellower after a few. Been a long day, won’t jinx anything but enjoying two games so far!

239. Rob says:

damn, i jinxed it

240. JoeyBats says:

DK …yes, unfortunately…my 2nd experience WAS at gate B…..away from the open end zone; ….still a miserable experience…..wrote the Rooney’s a letter….no response.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle