Final: Pirates 5, Cardinals 0

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (6-7) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (8-5)

Starters: RHP A.J. Burnett vs. RHP Shelby Miller

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: MLB Network, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Burnett, RHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

Comments

1. Dave G says:

Let’s Go Bucs!

2. Ghost says:

A hearty thank you to all who commented on my post, this morning.

Go A.J. !!

Really important win tonight with four games coming up against Atlanta, who might never lose again.

April performances don’t get much more impressive than sweeping the Nats by a combined score of 18-4.

Plus the Braves will be coming here after a 1-0 loss to KC

Rain got the Bucs a Burnett start and Miley nstead of Westbrook. Thanks, rain.

Could get ugly.

Now you gon’ dun it.

8. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Game at hand boys, game at hand………..

9. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Nice to see Snider back in there. Keep on the hitting display (slight one that is).

Afterall, he is dripping with power!

10. Let’s open The Window…What’ll ya have? What’ll ya have?
    As always this is just for fun and entertainment purposes.

Max “wager” is 100 units on each separate line.
    All “wagers” must be divisible by 5.
    Please reply in this box, makes it much easier for me to “book-keep” that way.

TONIGHT’S PICK ‘EM
    How many HITS will Starling Marte have in tonight’s game?
    Zero (EVEN ODDS)
    One (EVEN ODDS)
    Two or More (DOUBLE ODDS)

Anyone can play, and everyone should try!

**The Window is on twitter, @TheBuccoWindow, feel free to follow**

Thanks to all for playing and good luck!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS. Let me know if I made any mistakes. Thanks.
    TK ~ 500

(1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER

Hey NMR:

Thanks for taking my Phish dig well. Anyhoo, I was thinking about your preseason post that expressed your surprise at the small number of analysts picking the Cardinals to take the division. I think you were spot on. I really like their club

First, I can see why they stayed rational in the Pujols negotiations. They made a solid offer and probably were secretly not that concerned when the Angels trumped them. They still have an impressive ballclub, even without him.

Second. I consider the Cardinals the lodestar of major league talent acquisition and player development. Shelby Miller is an interesting example. He was drafted 15 spots behind Sanchez in 2009 and he was straight out of high school. Yet, here it is 2013, and Miller is making contributions to the major league club for a second year in a row. Different positions and strictly anecdotal but, nevertheless, interesting.

Usually I am elated when the Cardinals leave town but this year the Braves come in on their heels. Another good team with quality player development and acquisition.

12. Frankie says:

Give me 50 on 2 or more.

13. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

50 on one

14. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Anyone else think Clint Barmes would be a good fit in Toronto? I know they were looking for SS help.

15. Brandie says:

Uglier than 20 consecutive losing seasons? I hope not.

16. Baywatch says:

Evening, Nor Cal, Frankie, Playoffs (by when?), NMR, JohninOshKosh, Biz, Ghost and DaveG … Looks like we got ballgame tonight. Just checked my WeatherBug app, and it’s saying currently 68 degrees at PNC with only a 12 percent chance of rain tonight at the park. Time to inflate that guy Miller’s ERA with some of our recently-moving-toward Lumber Company’s bats!

17. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I wouldn’t be upset with a rain cancellation

18. Baywatch says:

A character builder is all that 20-Consecutive Losing Season stuff is, I tell you, a CHARACTER builder!

19. The Bucs would have to eat a lot of his salary to make that work and even then you’d get next to nothing in return.
    Worst part is, there is not a single option internally that could do a better job than him at short now.

20. Baywatch says:

I know, right? So we can savor last night’s 4-2 lead a bit longer!

Playoffs

Put me down for 75 on the 2 or more. Can’t pass up the odds with the hot hand (Starling, definitely not me). And Miller’s been tough.

And a shout out to Ghost’s daughter. Great story. :-)

22. Baywatch says:

But while we’re on weather: Is there ANYWHERE on the face of God’s green earth nicer than the Burgh in July? The wife and I left the HEAT of our East Texas abode and spent our 20th anniversary up there catching a week’s worth of games (we went 3-3) 4 years ago and basked in the wonder of the high ’70s every day! Air condition? Who needs it?

23. Brandie says:

Spoken like somebody’s dad trying to teach The Beaver a lesson.

24. TK says:

100 on Two or more, please.

25. radio wave says:

At playoffs: give me 50 on one hit. Thank you

26. cosmo says:

I’ll have 100 on 2 please.

Haha, thats just part of being a Phish fan that makes it fun. It’s impossible to take yourself too seriously, cause nobody else sure as heck does.

As for the Cards, you’re right on Pujols. They’re basically paying Carlos Beltran and Adam Wainright for the same amount as Pujols is making this year. Talk about value.

That 2009 draft, all around, is truly incredible when you compare their haul to the relatively weak overall draft class. Honestly, I’m not sure there has been a better draft, compared to the rest of the league, in the last decade.

And the biggest reason they’re still my pick is that they just know how to win. Cinci may take the division, but they have yet to show they’re a quality playoff team in the three years since they’re core has broken out. St Louis, year after year, just wins.

Now I think they’re crazy stubborn for sticking with Boggs as closer when Rosenthal blew up baseball as a reliever last year. I also don’t think Kozma has the bat nor glove to lead a WS team up the middle. But man, who am I to question their moves at this point? Fun franchise to watch, even from an envious position.

No, but John McDonald absolutely is.

Great glove on a team that isn’t hurting for offense. Plus, they love that guy up there.

Haha, I have to tell you, you and the wifey lucked out on weather.

Normal burgh conditions in the summer are warm with air so thick you can feel it. Then the sun comes up.

My money for best summer weather is that little chunk of Intermountain West where the air is dry, temps don’t get above 90, and sun never stops.

30. stuart66 says:

Please give me a wager of 100 camembettas on the 2 or more! (Got to get out of the almost cellar)

Stuart

Juan D. Rodriguez will make his scheduled start on Friday.

32. KJX says:

50 on 2 or more

Spoken like a true “Character” ;-)

Bay are you still living in Texas? My son and his family just moved to Cedar Park, outside of Austin

100 nuke nuggets on 2 or more

This bet dooms him, 0-4 with a hat trick of K’s

35. Very true, but what do the Bucs get back for him?
    Cash or a 25 year old single A outfielder.

+ 1

37. Brandie says:

I will take 50 on Starling to have 2 hits or more Mr. Playoffs. Need to change the date though. Not enough quarters for The Way back Machine to make the 2012 part true.

One step closer to this depth crisis being forgotten.

We’re making a list and checking it twice

Trying to log all the locations that Dejan Lunatics reside

If you are new posting or haven’t signed in, please add a reply to this post with your current residence

BEAT EM BUCS

I’m not so much worried about depth. It’s the lack of talent that has me concerned. It ain’t exactly Smoltz & Glavine coming off the disabled list.

Oh, I don’t think there’s much reason for the Bucs to do it other than saving money.

Toronto has gone through nine relievers NOT named Brad Lincoln so far this year, which could tell us something about what they think of him. Probably wishfull thinking, but take away the name for a minute and a AAA middle reliever for quality defensive shortstop doesn’t sound crazy.

42. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I agree, not sure how much money they’d have to eat though.

I understand the apprehension with Liriano completely. Gonna be great or awful.

But I don’t understand everybody all the sudden down on Karstens. Where were all these people in the thread calling NH every name in the book for non-tendering him?

44. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Fall is my favorite time of the year, the summers in the burgh are pretty muggy. Doesn’t feel like the south though, so it would seem cooler for you Bay.

45. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The problem I see with JK is his durability. How long until he goes back on the DL. Otherwise, I’m a fan.

46. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The Ryan Doumit of the pitching staff

47. Brandie says:

Sounds like the yearly Bucco tagline…Gonna be great or awful. Not a good promotional message.

48. Playoffs, let me go with one hit tonight for 100. Thanks.

Karstens is as useful to them right now as Vernon Law. He doesn’t pitch for them anymore.

50. cherokee23 says:

50……2+

51. Baywatch says:

Yeah, it was reminiscent of when we lived in Bedford from 1996-2000. Kinda summer conditions you described up there, NMR. We had a three-story brick house and never used anything but a window fan.

Wait till next year when AJ and possibly Wandy are gone

53. Baywatch says:

Heh-Heh.

54. radio wave says:

No help from the Phils today. Reds win yesterday suspended game one nothing in the bottom of the night.

55. Baywatch says:

That’s not a pleasant thought. Here’s a pleasant one: By then we’ll have replaced them with Taillon and Cole? Then we wait for Heredia.

They signed him because they need him now. Totally unreliable. That said, I love the guy, when he’s pitching. I don’t have much use for him right now.

Book me 50 on Zero, my good man.

Goal is to get ahead of Bowser while he is idle at the Magic Kingdom.

58. I like the sound of that.

“I’m not so much worried about depth. It’s the lack of talent that has me concerned.”

“Karstens is as useful to them right now as Vernon Law.”

Milo, you really need to compile this stuff for a book!

60. cmat0829 says:

100 units on 2 or more, por favor.

61. Jason81 says:

I’ll go with 50 on two or more while that bat is still hot.

62. pattonbb says:

Howdy Playoffs. I hate to do it, but please put me down for 100 on 0 hits.

That would be weird but interesting

64. Brandie says:

Husband followed Phish, The Grateful Dead, and now we see Dark Star Orchestra when we can. Good vibes to you my hippie brother.

I’m sure as long as the current BMTIB is in charge, Milo will continue to get a lot of good material for the book ;-)

Much like Dejan, I doubt if he would be on their Christmas Card list though…..

Pitching staff may very well be stronger, not weaker next year.

Cole, Wandy, McPherson, Locke, Liriano, Morton, Irwin, Taillon are all under team control.

Before testing free agent/trade waters.

You guys really, really surprise me with all this beautiful Karstens hindsight.

Does everyone forget the sh*tstorm brewed up on this very blog when Karstens was DFA’d?

If you guys had been saying this back then, you’d all be called apologists and Huntington defenders. I know, because I was.

Hey, I’m a paying customer & the customer’s always right.

Aren’t Wandy and Liriano in option status?

Locke? Morton, Irwin? unproven talent, we’ll see

And before you give the usual reply about unknowns, remember that this bullpen was supposed to be worse this year without Hanny.

71. fellocolonial says:

100 on 1 hit

Oops, beat me to it.

If you’re talking about me, you’ve obviously confused me with someone else.

Amen, sister.

I think it was a decent signing

You can check, if that’s possible

6 years of drafting and trading for pitching, NMR, no real credible depth

No sticks close to the MLB level, no catching depth, no SS depth

The cupboard was bare, but take away Marte, Walker and Cutch

We’re the Astros

Of course, I also thought we could get Arencibia for Locke or Mcpherson.

Shows what I know.

Don’t change the subject, Biz. We’re talking about Karstens.

The blog was 99% in favor of his return as a starter. Any detractors were apologists.

And now that Jeff Karstens is still Jeff Karstens its all the sudden a bad idea to sign him.

78. Brandie says:

Well maybe the customers should run the team…could not do any worse.

Much different tune being sung now, thats all I’m sayin’.

Anyways, I’m headed out. Enjoy, gents.

Go Bucs.

Sometimes I wonder. :)

81. Brandie says:

Not with you steering the ship.

82. MadTurk says:

I like Kartens and still do. Of course it would be nice if he was healthy right now. I an live with seeing what else we have in the meantime.

83. tdb1977 says:

I’m taking 100 on two or more, so make it double! :)

84. Bob Hasis says:

That beautiful 4-run retaliatory rally in yesterday’s aborted game was stopped by Martin and ended by Barmes.
    But there they are again in tonight’s lineup to anchor it – literally!

Thus The Fort’s “hot streak” is officially over – thanks to CH’s managing skills

85. Joey Mellons says:

30 on 2 or more hits.

Senor Playoffs…………

please put me down for 2 or MORE……. ;)

Ga Piratens!!!!! ( Dutch for Go Pirates! )

87. Aren’t you sad we had to skip Sanchez turn with the rainout, Bob?

UM, 100 please………………

What is Dutch for oops?? )

89. RobertoForever says:

Playoffs,

Thanks for the continuing effort.

Would love to bet with the double odds, but the only guy on the field hotter than Marte? Miller, the guy he will be facing.

I’ll take 75 on 1 hit please

90. I, on the other hand, did NOT take the Phish dig well!!!!!!!!

First Led Zeppelin, now Phish . . . . . how could you have wasted that Northern Iowa education?!?

I agree, however, that Cardinals are the biggest threat to the Reds, as long as Dusty Baker is managing Cincinnati.

91. RobertoForever says:

+$2.5 million

92. That’s not supposed to be here!!!

I was confessing that I too called for them to keep Karstens. I too am a sinner.

Does that mean I have to say 5 “Hail Neils”?

93. Nice to be present to hopefully witness one more K for AJ to reach that 2000 milestone. Come on Bats, let’s pick up where you left off last night!!

94. Oshkosh b’gosh,

See below——way below.

95. tdb1977 says:

#MarteParte!!!!

Marte plays with soooooooooooo much hustle!

97. Ghost says:

It doesn’t get much more lame than watching the game on Yahoo! Sports, but I see that A.J. cruised the first inning with just eleven pitches — nine for strikes. And the guy usually gets stronger as the game goes on.

Atta boy, Starling.

I just lost the over/under tonight, and could not be happier. Love triples.

99. RobertoForever says:

Headed into the arena to watch the Celtics final game of the season. One way to have a connection to my friends and family in Boston.

Nice coincidence to have the Celtics on the road here when I was.

Hope some of the Lunatics will be posting descriptive comments during the Bucs game tonight. Its always greatly appreciated by those of us just glancing at game day.

Beat em Bucs

100. Ghost says:

Sorry Lucky. Wasn’t meant specifically for you — posted in wrong place.

101. There is the hit to extend the hitting streak for Marte! Bring him home!!

Snider with one of those meaningless RBI’s. 1-0 Bucs

103. tdb1977 says:

1-0 Bucs. Snider with a bloop to right field to bring in Marte.

Snider with a hit.
    My cardiologist isnt going to like this………….. ;)

105. JRay3 says:

The Marte Parte starts it off with hustle triple and a Snider with the bloop RBI…Buccos offense staying hot and taking early 1-0 lead. Nice to start a game from this spit and not playing catch up.

Are you in Toronto?

Hope your spirits continue to get better. Saw an interview with Doc Rivers about the events. Classy guy.

I like the Marte Parte……….. I like it.

108. tdb1977 says:

Nice! A 2 out double by Walker puts two men in scoring position with Jones at 3rd. Now its time for Pedro to do something at the plate and not bring the final out to this inning.

1-0 Pens also…….

Boo birds out on Pete.

111. JRay3 says:

Nice double by Walker down the line but even with tough carom off wall Jones held at third. Four hits in the inning but just one run across the plate as Pedro promptly squashes the rally with pop out.

So much for El Toro carrying some momentum over feom his laser line drive hit that did not count last night.

112. Pedro with the notorious pop-up again to kill the rally.

2K 4 AJ! :)

114. tdb1977 says:

2000 K’s for AJ! Congrats!

115. Brandie says:

The Original Cardiac Kid. :-)

Players run in from infield to congratulate AJB for 2000 career strikeout. Crowd warmly acknowledges the milestone.

Carlos Beltran is the trivia answer.

118. Officer Mancuso says:

AJ rocks, tied for 2′nd most K’s in MLB (27, tied with a youngster named Samarzija) going into this game.

119. tdb1977 says:

Nice clean inning by AJ in the 2nd. 3 up 3 down. All 6 have been retired to start the game. Let’s get a few more runs for him tonight guys. Come on!

120. Officer Mancuso says:

Hopefully his practice swings are improving.

121. Officer Mancuso says:

Notice the season Paul Maholm’s off to in red-hot Atlanta? 3-0, 20.1 IP, ERA 0.00, 20 K’s. Wonder if some pitching coach has unlocked his inner Maddux?

122. tdb1977 says:

9 up 9 down! 4K’s for AJ through 3. Pitch count sits at 38 with 27 strikes thrown. Top of the order is due up for the Bucs at the bottom of the 3rd.

123. Officer Mancuso says:

Sorry for an “Emperor’s new clothes” question, but why are failing players Alvarez, Martin and Barmes rewarded with start after start when players who are producing more ride the pine or get sent to Indianapolis? You can’t get ahead in dog eat dog competition if you don’t reward repeatable production and sanction unproductive time on the owner’s dime. This is so simple, so obvious, and the necessary and sufficient factor causing the perpetuation of a culture of losing. NH can blather on all he wants about the fans’ lack of sophistication. I wonder what GE, or ALCOA, or IBM would make of the PBC decides who plays on the starting team.

I can’t wait until we’re having the same discussion next season when Karstens is, like, 5-0 for the As or someone.

125. Bob Hasis says:

Sad perhaps, but I like the look of positive confidence on his face instead of abject doubt from J Mac.

I would like to have seen that game completed – without interruption

126. tdb1977 says:

Sure looks like AJ is pumped tonight. Hope his energy can spread throughout the rest of the line up and get a split with the Cardinals before the Braves come into town evening.

Now stop it. Or I’ll talk politics.

128. cosmo says:

AJ now 12 in a row, 6 K’s.

Why?
    Because you arent the smartest man in the room, like neal and Clint are.

That is a very good question. I was raised that production matters.
    Silly me, huh?

130. Officer Mancuso says:

I wonder what GE, or ALCOA, or IBM would make of the [way the] PBC decides who plays on the starting team.

Well, Fred’s lost a few million since we hired him to direct commercial real estate, but we’re paying him 7 times what we pay his assistant, who’s made use $500k in profits during the same period, so we’d better stick with Fred.

Because if they would have benched Pedro last year or sent him to Indianapolis he wouldn’t have hit 30 homeruns ?

132. Brandie says:

TBMTIB is not interested in putting a winning product on the field…they are interested in lining their pockets. All of Neil’s pretty words amount to putting sugar On a crap sandwich, does not make questionable decisions more palatable. Nor does putting sugar on a crap sandwich make a gourmet meal.

We must do something! Harrumph!

134. Officer Mancuso says:

Noooooooooo! Not another peep from me till AJ completes his

135. RobertoForever says:

Yes. Here on work.

Raptors just had a classy opening ceremony. Had the teams ring the center circle, had everyone stand and observe moment of silence.

Scoreboard had U.S. and Canadian flag. Plus phrase , We are all Boston fans.

Very cool.

136. tdb1977 says:

Nice play by Snider in right field.

4-0 Pens. :D

138. Officer Mancuso says:

People from the ‘Burgh know this stuff! You haven’t reached age 30 in this city without seriously reckoning with economic competition.

139. RobertoForever says:

Thanks J-Ray and all. Love the Marte Parte

140. tdb1977 says:

15 in the row for AJ through 5.

141. RobertoForever says:

Nice!

142. AJ Dealin’! Come on Bucs get more runs for him!

143. JHadar says:

Something special may be happening tonight.

144. Officer Mancuso says:

Paul Maholm’s batting average right now is 50% higher than Pedro’s. 30 HR’s not nothing, but it came with a slouch’s batting average from a number one draft pick and I’d think it unwise to argue that Pedro learns and adjusts to the strengths and weaknesses of pitchers faster than pitchers learn and adjust to his strengths and weaknesses.

Riddle me this. Who do you think we could get by trading Mr. All Bling and No Zing? There you have the collective wisdom of MLB GM’s not surnamed Huntington.

145. RobertoForever says:

Rabble, rabble, rabble.

Wait, are the Bucs winning???

146. JRay3 says:

Nice to see a solid start for a change…I’m with you how about a little run support for the guy.

Andy LaRoche

148. Nice the Pens are winning 5-1, but too bad they are in town or there would be more folks at the game at PNC tonight.

I got yours, but I think you missed my cultural reference.

150. radio wave says:

As a fan twice through the lineup is when I start taking a no-hitter for real. Cross your fingers.

151. It was very close, but to me that HBP looked to bounce just in front of his left toe. AJ still groovin’, though. Come on Bats!!

Not the worst thing in the world. He can fell free to pitch around somebody if he wants.

153. RobertoForever says:

I couldnt come up with. Ice Age 3, lol.

jk. Help me out.

154. tdb1977 says:

Both Pedro and Garret have taken amen at the Pirates Charaties sign tonight. Dejan would be proud if one of them would have hit it and broken it.

155. I missed it before, but what number game of the hitting streak is Marte on now – 11?

156. JRay3 says:

That’s a big run Walker just plated with ball through the middle…2-0 good guys.

157. That ball had eyes and bifocals to get through there! Bucs up 2-0 with first and second two out.

Blazing Saddles.

159. Pedro misses three straight fastballs to once again leave men on base. Back to AJ now!

Thanks for sharing. Much appreciated.

161. Officer Mancuso says:

On the bright side, looks like Cutch has a worthy companion in Marte. And I am loving this game!

162. Officer Mancuso says:

Hush!

163. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Lotta Red Bird fans in the stands tonight.
    Hope they are there for a loss.

164. cosmo says:

AJ 6 2/3, Beltran breaks up no-no.

165. 6 and 2/3 is still pretty darn good against this lineup. Too bad that curve hung a little. One more out to go.

166. KJX says:

It’s a shame…looked like something special brewing.

167. cherokee23 says:

Anybody know if that dude with the big glove made the highlight shows the other night(last night?)

AJB might single handedly end the streak! Send him out there every night!

169. 7 innings and saving the bull pen. Still 2-0 Bucs. MORE RUNS!!!!

170. Officer Mancuso says:

That 36 year old pitcher is like a fine wine. The PBC needs to find a creative way to keep him in the organization.

A tremendous performance by AJ

The best thing/person that fell into the Lunatic’s Nation ever

Maybe the guy would resign with the Burgh, but each quality start, I doubt it

Another reason to hope but expect

172. Always happens when they start bringing in the national public and the announcers start talking about it.

173. Officer Mancuso says:

It was something special.

174. Officer Mancuso says:

A wise student of the art of pitching.

175. KJX says:

Overslide….ouch

Yeah, he was on the four letter network several times

I thought at first he was a youngster

177. Officer Mancuso says:

I’m thinking some combination of contract and guaranteed job as a coach when the stuff’s gone.

178. KJX says:

Figures it had to be an Error. I needed that Marte hit for the Window!

179. JRay3 says:

Thank you Freese, after Presley base running blunder E5 gives the Bucs a run 3-0. Way to add some insurance, and tip of the hat to AJ Burnett who wears the title of ace proudly for this team.

180. cherokee23 says:

they rule hit or error? looked like he may have beat it out anyway. fast man!

181. JRay3 says:

@ Biz- I thought I read AJ said he hasn’t decided if he will play after this season but if he does he would want to do it here. Playing in Pittsbugh has rejuvanated him.

182. JRay3 says:

Ruled an error.

183. The Cardinals announcers are downright insufferable tonight.

From what I’ve heard

Insufferable most every night

185. Can you elaborate?

Just realized what JMac’s problem is: Jeff Locke never leaves AJ’s side when they are in the dugout.

Jealous.

187. Patrick(ri) says:

Is there some sort of 1st amendment right for those godawful horns? Throw them out or confiscate em!

188. Patrick(ri) says:

He was safe, but a very nice play!

189. JRay3 says:

Melancon does what he has all year…shutdown 8th…Cards go quietly 1-2-3…nice offseason pickup eh?

190. Officer Mancuso says:

I know it’s naive to take pro athletes as role models. I’m 58 years old and a color photo of Hines Ward just having made the catch, smiling because he loves his work, and about to get clobbered, adorns my desk at work. Tomorrow, AJ. Burnett is going up beside him.

191. Great hit Gabby!!! 4-0!!

192. KJX says:

Seeing that graphic of Cole and Tallion made me think crazy things….like a Burnett, Cole, Tallion rotation in the post season.

I know that’s crazy…isn’t it?

193. JRay3 says:

Sanchez PH double on shot to center for RBI…Bucs pulling away 4-0. Pirates hit totals last three games: 15, 12, 10, now to get the right side of the infield to get going.

194. Patrick(ri) says:

You should add a shot of Cutch, in full stride, circling the bases.

195. JRay3 says:

And now Pedro belts his fourth hit of the year and 2nd RBI…5-0 Buccos!

196. The Mad Hungarian has taken numerous pot shots at the team, the players and the crowd tonight.

I realize that these announcers come from the so called “Heartland of Baseball”, but perhaps they forgot to check the scoreboard…or the results from last year’s games against the Pirates.

I realize that the Bucs as a franchise the last 20 + years have been everyone’s whipping boy, but when you haven’t gotten a hit until the 7th inning and you’re getting shut-out maybe just leave the pot shots behind.

197. Hey Pedro!!! Nice to see you finally come through there. 5-0 Bucs!!

198. Right now, YES.
    Long season though, let’s see what he does in August and September.
    Juan Cruz looked good early last year, too.

199. Thanks. I lived in st Louis for about 2 and a half years and they do like their baseball. Their fans, on the other hand were just as idiotic at times as everyone elses fans.

200. RobertoForever says:

Was shown on TSN in Canada alot as well

201. Guess Randy Choate didn’t have it tonight. Shame.

Taillon sure did. 7 innings, 2 hits, no runs 3 BB, 6 K’s and they let him throw 101 pitches.

He may be #1 when he gets here and Cole #2 somewhere down the line.

Indy staff is still hot, too. Another shutout and they’re 10-4.

They are all unapologetic homers. Which to me is forgiveable. But they are just unpleasant. Al Hrabosky , on the TV side is sort of a Mike Milbury for baseball. Caveman. The radio side has Mike Shannon who has this grating southern accent that makes him unlistenable. When I was a teen I worked a a corner market and the manager was a big Cardinals fan. He always had their games on the radio. Shannon’s corn pone mannerisms drove me nuts-and I grew up on a farm!

203. No denying they have an excellent and loyal fan base.
    Just seems a bit insecure to constantly have to point that out to everyone.
    Especially when you’re getting your a$$e$ handed to you tonite.

204. Officer Mancuso says:

True!

205. Fans chanting “Take the Horn!, Take the Horn!” hopefully the ushers do so. That is getting old. Take it over to the Riverhounds pitch and do that, not the ball park.

206. My old man still complains about Shannon, and that goes back to the ’64 World Series.

207. Still not nearly as bad as the TV clowns in DC or Cincy though.

208. Ghost says:

Not naive at all. Across from my desk at home is Big Ben saving the XL Super Bowl run with The Tackle. Still sends shivers down my spine.

209. That is very encouraging news.

210. Averages starting to look more normal except Pedro and Barmes.

211. JRay3 says:

OK call me perplexed as to why CH would make a pitching change with 2 outs in 9th up 5-0 and nobody on base to bring in your closer?

212. JRay3 says:

Great report @Lucky…Cole last night, Taillon tonight can’t help but get excited at the thoughts what these two could do to the rotation.

213. Grilli hasn’t thrown since Saturday night would be my best guess.

No, they are are the worst, cowboy. Especially DC. Mute city with them.

215. I’m older than you, OM and, outside of some Christian pictures, there are Steelers and Pirates stuff all over the walls, magnets on the file cabinets, etc. Only grandchildren are higher after the Christian stuff. (wife’s pix is there, too)

216. STFD Wiggy and Raise that Jolly Roger!!!

Both Bucs and Pens win !!!

218. cosmo says:

agreed. It gets annoying watching the game on TV. Must be really annoying at the park.

219. JRay3 says:

Behind seven innings of one hit ball from AJ Burnett who earns his first win and the third straight game of double digit hits with 11 tonight the Bucs salvage a split of the rain shortened series 5-0 over the Cards and there was nooooooooo doubt about it.

The Bucs even their mark at 7-7 and move to just a game out of the division lead. The Buccos continue the homestand tomorrow night when they host the Braves for the first of the four game set with Jeff Locke taking the mound.

Lets Go Bucs!

220. You are correct, sir.

221. Marte with one hit tonight wins it for the window.

I shoulda done the campfire scene

My thoughts exactly.

224. MadTurk says:

What? that’s not normal?

225. CONGRATS to Steve J. Smith – the new clubhouse leader!!!

Here are the updated standings. Let me know if you see any mistakes. Thanks.
    Steve J. Smith ~ 550

(1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER

226. RobertoForever says:

Or something this century, lol.

227. Boise Bucco says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOO AJ 19 TO GO

He’s getting 20 wins this year

Also, he’s gonna think about retiring for like 10 minutes then re-sign with the Buccos next year. (1 year, $12 mil, DO IT)

Bucs look like they borrowed that buzzsaw from the Pens for a little while, winning big and small (as long as JMac’s not on the hill…) I’m 90% convinced that they could’ve gotten Sanchez a win last night.

FYI, I may or may not have drank some Kool-Aid tonight.

WOOOOOOO

228. Blazing Saddles is timeless.

Blazing Saddles is for every century!

229. tdb1977 says:

Dude sat behind my wife and I the on Monday night. It was annoying. What is even more annoying is the WOOOO! that keeps coming back.