Final: Braves 6, Pirates 4

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (7-7) vs. Atlanta Braves (12-2)

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. RHP Julio Teheran

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Locke, RHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel and Travis Sawchik are on the scene.

If you missed it this morning, TribLIVE Radio had Clint Hurdle on the air, and he was quite good …

Comments

1. Interesting statistic on MLB Rumors yesterday:

AJ Burnett and Wandy Rodriguez are the highest paid “out-of-pocket” Pirates this season at $8 million per each——Yankees and Astros pay the balance of each salary this season.

As having highest paid player(s) at $8 million, Pirates rank 29th of all 30 teams in highest salaried player. Only Houston’s highest paid player makes less than $8 million this season.

Yeah, I have always liked the AJ pick up, but pretty much he fell into the PBCs lap. Yanks desperately wanted to move him, but with AJs no trade clause, Pittsburgh was one of the few places they could deal him to because he wanted to stay somewhat close to his home in Maryland.

3. Let’s open The Window…What’ll ya have? What’ll ya have?
    As always this is just for fun and entertainment purposes.

Max “wager” is 100 units on each separate line.
    All “wagers” must be divisible by 5.
    Please reply in this box, makes it much easier for me to “book-keep” that way.

TWO LINE THURSDAY!!

Line #1
    Total HITS for Starling Marte in tonight’s game
    Line is 1.5

Line #2
    Total RUNS SCORED by the Pirates in tonight’s game
    Line is 4.5

Anyone can play, and everyone should try!

**The Window is on twitter, @TheBuccoWindow, feel free to follow**

Thanks to all for playing and good luck!!

Here are the updated standings. Let me know if you see any mistakes. Thanks.
    Steve J. Smith ~ 550

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER

Still takes balls to commit $16m to a 34 yo coming off two consective 5+ ERA seasons.

The Pirates had to go get him. And they did it without giving up prospects or Garrett Jones.

Line 1: 100/Under
    Line 2: 100/Under

Thank you, my liege.

Desperation “wagers.” I’ll have to figure out a way to avoid the toll roads on the way home.

That article got me thinking, Groat.

AJ says he’ll only pitch in Pittsburgh next year. With the Pirates only currently paying $8m for him, he’d have to take a heck of a pay cut for the team to afford him, don’t you think?

7. fellocolonial says:

100 Under for Line 1
    100 Under for Line 2

DK: Reminder: Anyone seeking avatars can do so through gravatars.com … fairly easy, and my understanding is that it carries over to pretty much any site you visit.

8. KJX says:

#1: 100 / Under
    #2: 100 / Under

9. TCB says:

75 under on both (hope I am wrong – looking at the standings, I frequently am).

10. pattonbb says:

Julio Teheran could give the Pirates fits tonight. He has a nasty fastball and one of the top off speed pitches in baseball. But, he struggles to locate either one consistently.

He also might give up 3 or 4 hr’s.

Decisions….decisions…..

Line 1 – 100 UNDER
    Line 2 – 100 UNDER

11. stickyweb says:

Yeah, Teheran’s one of the best prospects in baseball, but he hasn’t figured it out yet at the MLB level and Marte has been awesome, and the Buccos have been putting up nice, crooked numbers. Law of averages says take both unders, but I’ll ride the current trends instead and take:

100 OVER on both lines.

12. radio wave says:

At playoffs: give me a 50 on the underfur line 1. Give me 50 on the underfur line 2. Thank you

13. Kevin says:

Both lines over, wagering 100 international units of pancakes each, Mr. Playoffs, sir!

14. Iceman says:

I’m not usually a fan of things written on SB Nation, however, I came across this article and I appreciated what the author had to say and the article had me furious. The article discusses the incredibly ignorant comments made by the owner of the Padres about Zack Greinke following Carlos Quentin’s assault. I can’t believe he would say what he said and then ask season-ticket holders not to share with others is truly ignorant remarks. Wow…

(Also, DK, if it is out of line for me to post this link here, I apologize and please feel free to remove this post)

DK: All that I find objectionable is the idea that SB Nation would have reported that, as opposed to using the work of others without giving credit, as it did in this case.

This story was the work of Yahoo! Sports, and here’s the original …

15. stickyweb says:

NMR, That’s a great question. No way TBMTIB pays him $16M next year and his statement that he only wants to play in Pittsburgh take away a lot of leverage for him. If he’s back, I’d guess it’s between $8M – $10M, but depends on many things. Obviously how AJ pitches all year, but also how J-Mac pitches and how Cole and Taillon progress. It’ll be real interesting.

16. Jason81 says:

Playoffs,

100 on the UNDER for Line 1.
    100 on the OVER for Line 2.

17. Iceman says:

Oh and just kidding about not liking a lot of the things written on SB Nation, I got it mixed up with Bleacher Report.

DK: I think you missed my point. SB Nation did nothing to earn being associated with that story. It was the work of Yahoo! Sports. SB Nation — whatever it actually is — just lifted the info and came up with its own entry to generate its own hits.

18. Pucknutz says:

line 1 100 under
    line 2 100 under

19. Ghost says:

Playoffs,
    So do we have place bets on both lines when we want in?
    I want 50 on the over for line TWO.
    I suppose I’ll also take 50 on the over for ONE *if it is required,* but I’d prefer to sit ONE out if that kosher. (Sorry, you’d think a guy who lives in Vegas would already know how these things work, but I do not.)

I can see it being an awkward situation for sure.

Lot of baseball to play, but thus far he isn’t showing any drop in velocity, decreased movement, or increased walks. By all acounts, his stuff is just as good as it was last year.

It would be quite embarassing for the team to not be able to pony up a reasonable offer.

Thanks for the interview link, DK.

Feel bad for Karstens in that he seems to be the afterthought when compared to Morton and Liriano. Seems like he’s taking forever to get well.

22. Dom says:

Line #1 100 Over
    Line #2 100 Over

I’m in a rare optimistic mood in regards to the Buccos today.

Wow. What a completely ignorant a**hole.

How embarassing for a man, family and franchise to equate Greinke’s anxiety problems with autism. DURING autism awareness month, no less.

Go crawl back in your money pit and STFU.

DK: Seconded. Passionately.

24. Ghost says:

Been wondering about this myself ever since Burnett first mentioned wanting to finish up here. I’ve learned not to get my hopes up for any player (Pirate or Steeler) to take a hometown discount. And I certainly don’t have my hopes up for this regime to lay out anything north of eight figures a season for a player. (BTW, just my own personal hunch, but I think the fact they were getting something for nothing had a good part to do with them taking Burnett from the Yankees — Sorry, can’t give them credit for having juevos like you do.) Still, the fact that Burnett would really only want to play here gives us, well, hope. But it will take two to tango. If Burnett pitches well all year it all comes down to what TBMTIB wants to do.

25. tom p says:

I think this throws a monkey wrench in the great Pirate GM’s thinking of his vision of Jeff Karstens in 2013.

He probably was gambling that he could be somewhat useful, and ship him for more “prospects” , come the trade deadline.

I would be quite surprised if they got anything resembling the Karstens of 2010/11/12, out of him this year.

Same goes for Inge, but i was not too surprised he has struggled in St, and so far at the AAA level.

It’s going to be a shame to add him to the team next week, just to justify the 1 million price tag that comes along with him.
    I would rather they just keep him at Indy, just in case of a real emergency.
    It’s a shame when shaping up a roster, guaranteed money(even though its a drop in the bucket for most major league clubs), is the deciding factor.
    Speaking of AAA, why is Harrison playing short, and Mercer playing 2nd?.
    This was the case last night. I just hope it was a 1 game trial.
    Mercer is a SS, and if he is ever going to succeed at the Major league level, that is where he should get ALL his reps.

26. stuart66 says:

Playoffs

100 chous on the over for Starling, and 100 also on the under for runs.

Stuart

27. You are free to “wager” on as many or as few as you would like.

50 on the OVER for Line #2 is what I got ya down for.

YOU GOT IT!!!

Did you listen to the interview?

Does Hurdle really sound like Inge’s measly salary is the reason he’s calling him up?

And as for Karstens, this is exactly what the Pirates GM was thinking when he DFA’d him. You know, when everybody else said he was an idiot for doing so.

Does NOBODY remember all that talk about 100 IP of Jeff Karstens being well worth arbitration?

29. tom p says:

So what disease and or illness is on the docket for next month?.

Seems like every illness has a month now.

How come there isn’t a gambling awareness month?.
    Maybe when Football season starts, the politically correct minds of this great country, can crowbar that one in there also.
    Nfl players can have the betting lines stitched into their uniforms.
    Enough is enough, most people get it, but don’t need to be reminded of it for a 30 day period.

30. TK says:

Line 1: 100 on the over
    Line 2: 100 on the over

31. cherokee23 says:

50 over both

32. TK says:

Line 1: 100 on the over
    Line 2: 100 on the over

Disregard the below post

33. tom p says:

Hurdle’s a puppet, and i have gotten used to the fact he likes to speak from both sides of his mouth, on numerous subjects.
    I was a fan of his, when they hired him, but he talks out of both sides of his mouth, when it suits him.
    Besides that , he is a terrible game day manager.
    No reason, NONE, to put Grilli in the game last night.
    Just a down right stupid move.

34. Baywatch says:

Heading to work, DK. Just pulled the blog up for the day and saw the radio interview upstairs, and got 5 minutes in. Good stuff. Look forward to hearing the rest when I get home. Also looking forward to having Wandy back on the mound tomorrow. Love that guy. He seems to bring a lot of quiet 12-year-old kid enthusiasm to the game!

For nothing?

Those are $16m REAL American dollars. That was the most the franchise has paid for any player since…heck, I can’t even think of the last time they’ve paid that much for a player.

In the end, I guess it really doesn’t matter who/what/why. Just glad he’s on the bump every five days.

36. The tolls are all in Illinois, right?

YOU GOT IT!

You really want to choose THIS as the time to rail against disease awareness??

Seriously?

Ignorant idiots like the Padres owner are the reason awareness months are needed. Certainly too much to ask that they pick up a freakin book and educate themselves.

What was the dust-up today? Was it regarding how many time DK mentioned Travis Snider?

39. 50 UNDERFURS EACH…YOU GOT IT!

40. I love the unit denominations you all come up with…YOU GOT IT!

41. Ghost says:

The $16 million they are paying, yes, that’s real money. The “something for nothing” is the other $16 mil being paid to our ace, but not by the Pirates. But also, yes, I too, am happy how this worked out for us. George Steinbrenner must be rolling in his grave.

NMR being NMR.

Aren’t you NMR?

44. Playoffs, I’m going to go with Line 1 for Over at 50, and Line 2 for Over for 100. Come on Bucs. Break out the bats! Hopefully Locke keeps them in check.

Shoot, sorry man. I get what you’re saying now. My bad.

I knew that post was coming ;-)

47. Frankie says:

Give me 50 on both under

Wow.

What an insensitive post. My son has autism and I could not begin to even remotely express how that has profoundly affected my life, in ways too numerous that parents of “normal” children could even understand at even a miniscule level.

I use Autism Awareness Month to join with other similarly situated parents to join together for support (God knows we need it) and advocacy for our children. Believe me, lawmakers, educators and policy decision makers would pay little attention to it if not for such advocacy efforts.

We are the only people who will ever love our children and when we, the parents, have passed on, it would be nice to know that there are programs in place to take care of them thanks to our efforts.

Line 1 – 100 OVAH

Line 2 – 100 OVAH

Gotta start making some units

Thanks

50. Chou, that’s a new one…YOU GOT IT!

Guilty as charged.

Honestly though, my comment started out – I felt – fairly straightforward.

It seems like Jose Tabata is still seen as superior at doing Jose Tabata type things than Travis Snider, even when to my eye that isn’t the case.

Snider’s getting on base, playing decent defense, and just as bad at running the bases.

I may have derailed the conversation, but I still felt it was a worthy topic.

DK: I’ll agree with that. I’m entitled to an opinion that Tabata has a higher ceiling, just as I’m entitled to echo nearly every scout with whom I’ve spoken that there isn’t all that much to Snider. And I believe I’m entitled to talk about SOMETHING related to the Pirates without all the agenda garbage injected all the time. The same GM traded for Tabata as traded for Snider.

I dunno, I’m not quite sure that Drew is still Drew

He posted an emoticon….

53. Mr. Current Leader…YOU GOT IT!

54. Ghost says:

Hmmm, not sure about the “puppet” part. Now John Russell? HE was a puppet. I think Hurdle is dealing with the hand he is dealt best he can. He probably was told to start Travis Snider. Alright, I’ll cede that. But my sense is that Hurdle really does run the club house, the games, and at least has some real input with player decisions. In the segment DK posted above, it sure sounded like Hurdle is now shortening the leash on JMac, for example.

55. Don’t forget, it’s a long season…YOU GOT IT!

Has anyone asked Hurdle why he brought in Grilli last night?

57. I know, I saw that…[mind blown]

58. Frankie says:

As a grandparent of an autistic granddaughter, Thank You John.
    Well said . Only if a few more people knew the heartache..

He must be getting pretty darn old, birthday wise ;-)

I’ll second that, Frankie. Very well said, John.

It’s guys like those above who allow their kids to call my little cousin “stupid” – in front of me – because of their ignorance of the social limitations that can be caused by autism. And trust me, my cousin was smart enough to know exactly why the other boy called him stupid. Broke my heart.

All the education in the world isn’t enough when one isn’t willing to open his mind.

61. Ghost says:

“My bad.”
    Not at all. “For nothing” was my ill-chosen wording. You’re right that the Pirates ARE ponying up significant bucks (for them, at least) for Burnett. I just think that… well, I already said what I think, above. I’ll stop and just concur again that the end result has been great for us.

Except he didn’t start Travis Snider.

He started Gaby Sanchez. Then Snider. Then Tabata.

Snider earned everything he’s been given this year.

And Hurdle CERTAINLY is no puppet.

DK: Your last sentence there is strong.

The batter was probably 1 for 6 in his career against Grilli vs 2 for 7 against the other guy.

64. Ghost says:

What a thoughtful, moving post, John. Thank you for that and for being a loving parent.

65. Ghost says:

(Alright, we gotta stop playing paddy-cake like this.) Happily, Snider has, indeed, been earning his keep, these days. (And yes, Snider didn’t start last night.) I do agree with DK’s pre-season assessment that Snider was seeded atop the list of right fielders without having earned it. However, and I’m pleasantly surprised to say… TBMTIB so far has gotten it right about Snider. Actually, TBMTIB has been getting more than a few things right of late. The gamble on Karsten’s DFA. Hanrahan. Snider. The season is still young, but Lordy.

Seems as though we don’t have the only crappy owner?

67. Oh, and by the way, Happy Birthday to one Mr. Steve Blass!! Many more to come.

68. Brandie says:

Thank you for the link. It is due to the close mindedness of others that persons with legitimate Mental Health Issues often do not get the care they need. I can now see why Zach Greinke reacted the way he did to Carlos Quentin when he charged the mound. If Mr. Garfinkle did not want those comments to go public, he should have kept his mouth closed. It just goes to show you…money does not buy class nor does it erase ignorance.

+ 1

Do you folks think winning would solve any of the BMTIB problems PR wise?

Or would they just get more arrogant?

Just askin

I eat, sleep and feel better when the PBC wins

But, its hard to pull for the FO, from this seat in the peanut gallery.

DK: Anything else we can discuss related to this team?

I swear, I’m not being a jerk, Biz. And this isn’t aimed at you at all. But this topic just INUNDATES this place.

PR doesn’t mean a thing now. Being 7-7 in April doesn’t mean a thing. Either they win, or they’re fired. Owner essentially said so.

What else?

71. Ghost says:

Got to head out, Gang. Next time I check in, I hope to see that Jeff Locke has made a minced Cardinal pie.

72. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window….busy work day but want to sneak these in tonight.

Line 1 – 100 on the UNDER

Line 2 100 on the UNDER

Here’s hoping we see a step forward by Jeff Locke and the Bucs start this series on the right note and by night’s end they will be winners of 7 of their past 9.

Lets Go Bucs!

73. Tdb1977 says:

100 on the over for line 1
    100 on the under for line 1

Hopefully Locke will have a good game tonight and the bats show up again tonight. Going to be a warm one tonight and I am glad out seats are in the shade.

74. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

NObody pays him $16 Mill next year. Regardless of where he ends up, he’ll take a pay cut. I can see the Pirates paying him $8mil, 1 year, possible option. Who knows what he wants though.

Nice to see everyone’s in a good mood today.

76. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

100 on the under for both lines please

77. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Are you suggesting we get avatars DK…am I an outsider because I’m a ghost dude?

I am a little confused. It seems that anyone that disagrees wit DK is injecting “agenda garbage”

When I went back a nd quickly read some of the comments it just seems like a difference of opinions.

79. cosmo says:

line 1 – 50 over

line 2 – 100 over

80. Enjoy the game…YOU GOT IT!!

Fair enough

I was just trying to say winning 82 will not make me feel better about the current FO and their character

I know you are not being jerky, Dejan, and I know its a tired story

Its just my feelings, Yay, we win, then I think

Crap, the FO will still be here next season, haughty as ever, and the thing that has to change most probably will not

It’s bittersweet.

DK: I appreciate that. The owner’s stated goal was most decidedly NOT 82. It was contention of playoffs deep into the season. If that doesn’t happen, they’re gone. Period.

Such is life on the blog.

DK: Meh.

83. RobertoForever says:

From the Premiere lounge at Pearson Into, good day, eh, to Playoffs and all the looney-tics

Buccos doing well lately. A third straight night on the Marte-partay train, eh? I won last night, bucking the trend. I think I’ll go under again for 75 maple leafs.

On the runs line, looking at the trend, Atlanta rarely allows 5 or more runs, although the 2 times that Julio started, it was in play. Bucs are due for a low score. So let’s go 100 loonies on the under.

When, I turn my phone on later, hope the Bucs are burying these Braves and their 12 – 2 record.

Beat em Bucs

Mr. Playoffs,………….

May I please have ……….

Line 1……….. 100 on the UNDER
    Line 2……….. 100 on the UNDER.

Thank You.
    And may the Force be with us. ;)

DK,

you have to believe that they (He)( Mr. Nutting) is telling the truth when he says that.

He also said he was going to “endlessly” search for accountability, and responsibility when the season was over. Yep.

I just have a hard time believing it.

DK: How about this as a compromise?

This nauseatingly nothing-left-to-say topic stays on the Pirates game threads.

That sound fair?

75 Under on both lines, please.

87. RobertoForever says:

Absolutely agreed. Well said.

My son has an unique unnamed disorder but a few of the classic autism symptoms apply, so his education usually occurs with autistic children.

Changed my life. Just hope he lives a long, relatively healthy life.

With public comments like these, more awareness is needed. Perhaps he should come down from his tower and volunteer in a

classroom for a month.

88. RobertoForever says:

I’m in a good mood. I’m thru security and headed home on a direct flight with no delays!

Safe travels Berto.

WOW!

That stunk early!

91. Iceman says:

DK. Had no idea the story came from Yahoo originally. Thank you for crediting the original author. As someone who has spent a long time in schooling, plagiarism drives me crazy. T

92. Iceman says:

Thanks for sharing.

93. cherokee23 says:

Agree!!

94. RobertoForever says:

Thanks. Hope I didn’t jinx it with that no delays comment, lol

95. Iceman says:

How many innings do we need to get out of Locke tonight and how many do they actually get? Would like to see the bullpen get some rest when someone other than AJ is pitching.

96. Window is officially closed for the evening. Thanks to all who played tonight.

97. RobertoForever says:

Considering they had Monday off and only two innings pitched last night, I would say their rested

98. RobertoForever says:

That didn’t stink that much. Bucs tie it at 1.

C’mon now Jeff. Put up some zeroes

99. 53, that’s young

:D

Pretty casual attempt to cover 1st by Locke there.

101. RobertoForever says:

Pirates fans, meet Locke’s easy inning. 2nd inning he always does well. 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th. Not so much.

Would like to see a few more top of innings with a zero – even if it is adventuresome.

Russell, shows muscle.

103. JRay3 says:

Bucs sure seem to be measuring and squaring Teheran up, even the outs are being struck well.

105. RobertoForever says:

Ouch. Looked like a meatball right down the middle on game day.

And now its raining here.

106. Officer Mancuso says:

In honor of the HR and poetry, I’m temporarily suspending Russell bashing, at least until his next out. Called a nice game with AJ yesterday, too.

107. JRay3 says:

Always a bumpy ride when the #3-5 guys take the hill, going to need more than AJ and Wandy to be able to shut oppositions down.

108. JRay3 says:

Snider continues to rake with a deep double to right center to start inning off.

Thanks for responding Dejan

Lunatics goal IMO is doing cartwheels over the Clemente Bridge

Or, and, at Drew’s house

I want 60, 71 and 79 one more time

PS, I would take two or three of them as well

But, I’d bet the under on that

Agreed

But I posted that before I read your response

I’m not sure what folks have seen in Locke

112. Officer Mancuso says:

Looks like it’s going to take more than Ruscle’s mussels to overcome the eggs Locke’s laying.

113. Pucknutz says:

Sorry DK, and I do not want to be a jerk, but….
    I believe you are pi**ing into the wind attempting to hold back the tidal wave that is INUNDATINGb this place on this topic.
    ” Either they win, or they’re fired. Owner essentially said so.”

Bottom line to me is …. did Owner include Owner in the win or pink slip????

Nutting either WINS or CASHES OUT or this topic goes to infinity
    and beyond.

My first and last post on topic this season, I swear. LOL

DK: How about this as a compromise?

This nauseatingly nothing-left-to-say topic stays on the Pirates game threads.

That sound fair?

Like folks have said, two starters will not cut it

Did you run that under by Playoffs??? ;)

But, LETS GO BUCS

That was a long distance dedication to Officer Mancuso. :)

KDro with a Bomb-O !

119. Brandie says:

Come strong boys…Play for 9…Beat em like they owe you money.

120. JRay3 says:

A 448 foot blast…he stung the ball in his first AB as well…only 3K’s in last 17 AB’s for El Toro.

Agreed, he has been cutting back on the K’s.

BA is still .106.
    Totally unacceptable.

122. It’ll come up quickly this time of the season.

I hope so!

124. TJ says:

I would have equated the chance of Pedro and Russell going deep in the same game to that of the chances of Doug Murray and Tanner Glass scoring in the same game. Finally some power!

125. TJ says:

Locke needs to go

126. So do ERA’s though.

127. TJ says:

Wow… Steelers vs Ravens to close out thanksgiving games.

128. JRay3 says:

Good grief how many pitches middle of the plate can Locke serve up? Team battles back and he quickly serves a run right back….backup plan??

129. cosmo says:

Now if only Locke can keep the ball in the park.

Jeff Locke continues to be unlucky. Three more balls unluckily travel over 400 feet.

132. cosmo says:

So much for going deep into the game and helping out the pen.

………..and blood pressures……

I’ve often said Jeff Locke is afraid of the bat. Can you blame him ?

135. JRay3 says:

Awesome another starter that can not even make it through five innings. Typical Jeff Locke line: 4.2 IP 6 H 4R 4 BB 3 K.

How much longer can you run a guy out there that struggles to make 5 innings, and consistently is in 5.50 ERA range?

136. cosmo says:

agreed Biz. Liriano can’t get here quick enough. I know he’s a question mark also
    but I like his chances better than Locke’s

137. cosmo says:

Who is this Snider guy?

138. JRay3 says:

Travis Snider is literally one missed call and a few inches, feet from having 3 HR’s…starts off another inning with double high off wall.

139. cherokee23 says:

“Either they win, or they’re fired”

I’m not sure DK necessarily believes it will happen, as much as he doesn’t want Nutting & PBC to forget the off-season conversations that sparked that notion!!! In other words, he’s trying to hold Nutting accountable.

DK: How about this as a compromise?

This nauseatingly nothing-left-to-say topic stays on the Pirates game threads.

That sound fair?

TBMTIB can do it forever.
    They are the smartest men in any room !

DK: How about this as a compromise?

This nauseatingly nothing-left-to-say topic stays on the Pirates game threads.

That sound fair?

141. JRay3 says:

Bucs bats get Locke off the hook, GI Jines RBI double ties game at 4 as they continue to rough up Teaheren.

142. Way to go GI Jones to tie it back up!!

143. Come on Russell, don’t leave another double on second.

144. Unless they can get two more ABs, it is probably safe to say the under will win for Marte’s line #1. I’m still hoping for the hitting streak to continue at least.

145. pattonbb says:

He’s one of those arms that the system is flooded with.

146. Frankie says:

If only we had a ss that could hit above the Mendoza line. Right now I would take Mario Mendoza.

Sounds fair, DK.

Just frustrated by their actions……………
    Apologies to you.

DK: No apologies sought or remotely needed. Just looking for a resolution. Part of me thinks that ever since another prominent blog in town began requiring commenters to use Facebook, we’ve become the refugee home for the same repetitive topic. It won’t happen here.

148. Officer Mancuso says:

Laughing.

149. Officer Mancuso says:

I was sure this team was going 1-161. They’ve provided some serious pro sports entertainment, making a fool of me, since then. Rock on, Pirates.

You mean there is another blog in town besides this one??

DK: :)

125 pitches to get through 6 innings.

152. JRay3 says:

Nice job by Justin Wilson to battle out of that inning, especially after the 12 pitch Reed Johnson AB.

153. JRay3 says:

Wow I was just thinking about pitches thrown considering Wilson threw 95 his last two times out and just added to that total quite a bit tonight.

At this rate arms will be dangling come September.

Someone’s wearing a golden sombrero to the Marte partay.

I hope he shakes this game off. He was doing so well, then the 0-4K’s tonight.
    Would love to see 4 hits tomorrow……… that would work.

156. pattonbb says:

Atlanta is going to feed him fastballs away until he stops swinging at them. Or at least for the remainder of this series.

I’ve never thought of pulling or not pulling for the front office. Never crossed my mind. I pull for the players to win games.

158. Naje says:

DK–
    “Win or be fired” is the most clear, succinct line I’ve ever read about the PBC front office, whether you like them or not. The most reasoned, simple, honest line you can possibly have. I love it.

There is no way they can keep walking all these guys & get away with it.

160. It’s contagious. The starter walks several people, then the bull pen continues to walk people. Let’s turn two to clean this up. Going to be tough for the bats since they don’t seem to be doing much since the Braves bull pen came on.

They seem to have made careers out of “lose & get extensions”.

:( :( :( :(

163. Walks and HRs. Kill you EVERY TIME on this team. 6-4 now and likely not going to get anything against this bull pen. All the Braves runs off of HRs.

164. JRay3 says:

Can’t walk lead off men, and can’t fall behind 2-0 in counts and groove pitches.

Good night. Drive home safely.

166. Naje says:

I don’t agree with the spirit of the statement, Milo, but whatever. You ever say that about the incompetent fools who drafted the worst talent imaginable from ’97 through 2003?

Umm, they got fired.

168. MadTurk says:

Has anyone seen Locke enough to say what we saw tonight is the limit or numbr of pitches he has at hs disposal?

Let’s see. What’s the best way to put this. Stinks.

170. MadTurk says:

Well that is pretty straight forward. :-)

I say we give another guy a chance.

172. TJ says:

Maybe Locke and Hughes can share an apartment in indianapolis.

It’s a running gag. I’m contractually obligated.

174. TJ says:

A chance to pitch batting practice maybe. Pirates put up 4 runs against a tough braves team with a top notch young pitcher on the mound and every time Locke gave the runs right back. Kind of reminds me of the Steelers defense in the 4th quarter last year

175. MadTurk says:

gag you say like the pitching tonight

176. RobertoForever says:

Do we think Atlanta will keep running tonight’s pitcher out there?

Serious question. His ERA is almost 33% higher than Locke’s. Don’t most major leagues struggle finding #4 & #5 guys that only suck a little and win 40% of their starts?

177. RobertoForever says:

teheran’s ERA is 2+ runs higher than Locke’s?

So why the drastic difference in evaluation?

The Platinum Sombrero.

Starling Marte’s 5 strikeouts in a 9 inning game ties the team record held by Pep Young in 1935 & Bert Blyleven in 1979.

179. Marte’s streak ends with a big fat 0-5 5 K thud. Get back at it tomorrow night. The under wins on Line 1.

Who ever said Teheran was any good?

This is about Locke.

Send them both down, ok? Sheesh.

181. RobertoForever says:

Had a winnable game with the #5 on the mound, but it was our bullpen that blinked first.

182. Bucs only score 4 and the under wins again, so I concede to Roberto the Window lead. Let’s break out the bats tomorrow. This Braves team can’t surely keep winning at this pace, and these Braves pitchers have to start taking some lumps. Let’s do that to them.

183. cosmo says:

Need Wandy to pitch a gem tomorrow.

184. pattonbb says:

Great question, Roberto. But I think It’s a little different when your team gives you 6 runs of support every time you take the mound. They can afford to run Teheran out there, even if he’s getting hit.

185. cosmo says:

We need a big bopper to off the bench and PH.

186. cosmo says:

come off the bench and PH

Yes, most treams DO struggle to find capable 4 and 5 starters.

And yes, Atlanta will keep running Teheran out there, because their offense can mask some of his mistakes. The Pirates offense, thought better recently, cant mask many mistakes.

188. pattonbb says:

Craig Kimbrel is the nastiest closer in mlb.

189. cosmo says:

and I go further into the red.

And every start thereafter.

191. cosmo says:

agreed. Career 1.40 era

192. tomp says:

Wasn’t the great Bob Walk part of that Braves club, that won its first 13 games, in 1982?.

It seems he was pretty adamant that the 1st loss that season, was at the hands of the Pirates.

Looking at baseball reference.com, it appears
    Bobby” is a little off, or he had a few in the booth.

14 04-22-1982 vs Cincinnati Reds 1-2 L 13-1
    15 04-23-1982 vs San Diego Padres 3-6 L 13-2
    16 04-24-1982 vs San Diego Padres 4-6 L 13-3
    17 04-26-1982 vs Pittsburgh Pirates 4-6 L 13-4

193. tomp says:

Tabata was the only guy that needed a bat, then again, it really didn’t matter much.

+ ……… a lot.

195. RobertoForever says:

Agreed. Somehow I don’t think Inge is going to cut it.

196. RobertoForever says:

Thanks, Steve. I am sure someone will get it back tomorrow. Its like number one in college hoops. This is my third stint in the top spot, all short stints. Lol

197. That type of game stings…

The UNDER wins both lines tonight.
    No one wants to be the clubhouse leader it seems.
    CONGRATS to RobertoForever on being our new #1