Final: Pirates 6, Braves 0

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (7-8) vs. Atlanta Braves (13-2)

Starters: LHP Wandy Rodriguez vs. RHP Tim Hudson

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Jose Tabata, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. John McDonald, SS
  9. Rodriguez, LHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel and Travis Sawchik are on the scene.

UPDATE 3:57 p.m.: Because Penguins-Bruins was postponed, the Pirates broadcast has been moved back to Root Sports. It originally was bumped to another network.

Comments

1. DK: The Pirates’ front office needs to be replaced. Just something I’ve been kind of pondering lately. I know it’s original. Totally out of left field. But, well …

Thoughts, anyone?

2. This is the best managed blog in baseball ;)

Let’s open The Window…What’ll ya have? What’ll ya have?
    As always this is just for fun and entertainment purposes.

Max “wager” is 100 units on each separate line.
    All “wagers” must be divisible by 5.
    Play as many or a few as you’d like.
    Please put your replies in this dialogue box, makes it much easier for me to “book-keep” that way.

THREE-PLAY FRIDAY!!

Line #1
    Total OUTS RECORDED by Wandy Rodriguez in tonight’s game
    Line is 20.5

Line #2
    Total HITS by Andrew McCutchen in the 3 remaining games against the Braves this weekend
    Line is 4.5

Line #3
    Total WINS by the Pirates in the 3 remaining games against the Braves this weekend
    Line is 1.5

Anyone can play, and everyone should try!

**The Window is on twitter, @TheBuccoWindow, feel free to follow**

Thanks to all for playing and good luck!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    cosmo ~ -350
    stuart66 ~ -500
    JMB ~ -600
    Bizrow ~ -900

***First Place at the end of APRIL will win:***
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES BUMPER STICKER

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER

Sigh … :-)

Great, three more chances to lose ….

Line 1, 100 on the UNDER

Line 2, 100 on the OVAH

Line 3, 100 on the OVAH

If anyone is due, its Bizrow…..

5. Chuck H says:

Put the blame for yesterday’s loss on Clint Hurdle. He still doesn’t recognize when a pitcher is losing his composure. Hughes was starting to get behind in the count with the first couple of Braves batters. Meaning he had to come in with hittable pitches to good hitters. Hurdle has been guilty of this too many times. He should have taken Hughes out and put in his 8th inning guy who throws first pitch strikes.

And what happened to Marte, suddenly becoming like Sir Whiffs-a-lot. Five for five in strikeouts?

Anyway, I hate the Braves.

GO, BUCS!

DK

You OK?

DK: Never better! Been waiting all day for this thread to go up, TC, so I can vent about the Pirates’ management. Such a relief that it’s finally here!

But enough of that. What about that trade deadline last summer? I mean, what were those guys thinking by just getting a couple lame-O bats when they’re 16 games over?

7. KJX says:

#1. 100 Under
    #2. 50 Under
    #3. 50 Over

8. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Clint Hurdle is not a “great” manager, but I still believe he’s the only one in the upper levels of the Pirates that even has a clue.
    It’s no coincidence that the team has “slightly” improved since his arrival.

It all starts at the top, and this is a group of people that have no more business in MLB than I do supervising a chemistry class.
    As for their removal…..I was for it as of late July ’08.
    They don’t belong in their positions, and we see proof of that each and every day.

The Pens game in Boston has been postponed. I say cancelled, they say postponed. I’ve already seen talk that the CBA has no provision prohibiting games on 3 consecutive nights. The Pens should obviously refuse.

I blame it on overuse of the bullpen because the starters have not been providing enough innings.

But what do I know? I’m currently 900 units in the hole…

If we wish to discuss the Steelers front office in light of their recent failures in the draft, is that only allowed on the Pirates game thread also ?

DK: I’ll be writing on that topic by middle of next week, by the way.

I’d read that there is a rule where you can’t play 3 consecutive nights?

Whoa, whoa, whoa…lets at least look at the Jason Bay trade and the 2009 Draft before getting ahead of ourselves.

DK: Yes! What a rotten deal! What do they have to show for that?

Bryan Morris?

They’ve rescheduled for Saturday afternoon at 12:30. Really ? The NHL is obvoiusly clairvoyant. Here’s a thought, how about waiting for the FBI & other law enforcement to tell you when it’s safe & then think about sports. Let Boston take care of their business.

If I’m the Pens I leave town, throw up a big middle finger to the league & play the Sabres at home tomorrow as scheduled.

Garage league.

The league says there is no such rule. News to me too.

I don’t know for sure, but I think it has to wait until a Steelers game thread. Which I actually agree with, since that limits it to 16 threads a year, unless they make the playoffs.

17. Brotherhood of the Redus says:

Playoff Party and then straight out back to watch the fireworks on the 4th of July?

You guys should try to get along.

DK: What’s that have to do with Miguel Sano? Or Andy LaRoche? :)

19. Nate83 says:

????? That is out of left field, but not really because everyone knows where you stand on the issue. Just kind of random.

DK: Haven’t been around much the past 24 hours, huh?

Good point. :-)

21. Nate83 says:

I’m not touching any of these. Wandy coming off injury but Pirates need a quality start desperately.

I think cutch will get exactly 4.5 hits.

Braves only loss twice all year but I can’t root against the Pirates.

+1 to the DK response.

23. Only baseball and hockey on this thread, please. (hockey on any thread).

Sincerely,

DK’s Blog Police

DK: Baseball on any thread. Any sport on any thread. Same repetitive, regurgitated stuff about the Pirates’ front office goes on Pirates game threads. That’s it.

And there won’t be any policing or deleting or anything like that. It’s a request, and it’s a pretty reasonable one.

Ask Chip. He knows everything! :)

Subtract Bill Cowher and add Mike Tomlin to the personnel department. Suddenly, the drafts stink. Coincidence ?

I think I’m going to go hide under my bed for a while …

DK: See if you can find Robinzon Diaz under there! :)

27. Nate83 says:

I have not. Moving into a new house and very little time to keep up with everything. Is there a blog entry I should check so I can catch up.

29. He was the middle son, they usually do.

:D

DK,

1) You forgot that they also acquired Wandy.

2) I wish you would quit taking cheap shots at me.

(sarcasm emoticon……is that still allowed?)

DK: Yes. I’m glad that came up. Totally new topic that’s never been discussed.

Or maybe it was …

Cheap shots? This is what you and a handful of others wanted, right? What percentage of your comments here the past few months have been on this general topic?

Really, I swear I’m not trying to be a jerk. And nobody loves to talk baseball more than I do. But it’s a little deflating when you show up at this blog and find the same stuff being brought up day after day after day, no matter what legit baseball topic might come up. I feel like it stifles not only discussion of other sports on the Wakeup Call threads, but baseball talk, too.

When you want to get back to regular old baseball talk instead of the incessant references to the same tired stuff, I’m very much game.

My only complaint is that Melancon and Hughes are only seperated by one appearance and one inning of work. If you’re worried about Melancon, you shouldn’t be sending Hughes out again for the 8th.

Makes me question sending Bryan Morris down in favor of Vin Mazzaro. I know Morris had just thrown three innings, but that’s a move that you have to live with for at least 10 days. Hurdle HAS to use the guys if he brings them up.

I think I’ll have one of whatever Dejan is having today

But only when I get home ;-)

33. Nate83 says:

Found him. He is with the Milwakee Brewers minor league team. It was really easy. I just googled him but what is not easy is figuring out what you all are talking about.

35. cherokee23 says:

100 under on all 3

Yeah, you know, I’m a bit worried maybe that guy got away from the manhunt, delaying makes no sense

I didn’t think he was under my bed, dogs would have been growling at him.

But I haven’t cleaned under there for a while……

I, for one, feel like that was a perfectly orchestrated catharthis of BMTIB hooey.

Deep breath.

Now we can all move along as usual.

DK: I agree. We’ll see if others do. Embrace the suck, my friend.

39. cherokee23 says:

100 under all 3

DK,

You need to stop worrying so much about when we can talk about the BMTIB, and make sure Jeff Locke isn’t starting 2 nights in a row. ARGHHHHH.

DK: Yikes, really? I’ll fix. Sorry. Was dreaming like a hippie.

I’m hiding under the bed. I found GMan there.

42. Agreed. Just yankin’ your chain.

43. How about McGehee?

+ 1

Cool, just got a tweet from Dejan that the ballgame will now be on Root Sports.

DK: Just changed the info above with an alert, too. Hoka Hey.

I have no problem with the idea. The problem I see is in the implementation and the definition of what talking about the BMTIB means. I mean, a couple days ago DK had a post headlined about the FO having depth in Pitching. He also had some responses to relatively innocuous posts that criticized the FO. ???

I’m a little confused.

Uncle, uncle….

DK: Haha, see a couple posts down!

48. radio wave says:

at playoffs:
    I will take 25 on under for line 1. I take 25 for the over on line 2. And Make it 25 on the under for line 3. Now weather permitting,let us play 3 more.

No, just GMan and Biz. :-)

50. Naje says:

I don’t think subbing Tomlin for Cowher = drafts stinking, necessarily. I do think that the 2007 draft, his first with the team, was one that Arians was given the 3rd pick (Spaeth, yuk) and Tomlin the 4th pick (Sepulveda, yuk yuk).

Theory on the 2008 thru 2011 drafts: players drafted during those years were coming to an incredibly gifted, very experienced team. Defensive players drafted in 2008-2010 were coming to one of the best defenses in the league and those guys had very little chance of overtaking any starter on that unit. Could be that those guys took their backup roles for granted a bit…that they rotted from not getting any real game reps…that they would do what they had to do to maintain their jobs but not really push themselves because they knew they couldn’t play at the level of a Harrison or Polamalu or Taylor or Kiesel or Smith or Farrior or Clark or Woodley or Timmons.

And the offense wasn’t too shabby either. I think Art Rooney II had some great insight in 2009 talking about getting younger guys ready to play quicker because he saw in those first three Tomlin seasons a coaching staff that made very few changes to the guys on the field. (except for the offensive line turnover due to injuries, bad play, etc.)

You can call it Ben’s team all you want, but reading his comments in Cook’s article further makes me think that he’s a real self-serving guy who doesn’t quite grasp his role on the team. Only now, after nine seasons is it time to put in the extra work…? …time to get in and show everyone how it’s done in the offseason…? Not impressed. Hall of Fame talent… not much to be desired outside of that. But it is a step in the right direction.

51. Nate83 says:

I’m all caught up now. Went back and read last nights game thread.

So I must make all my NH man-crush comments on the game threads. That seems reasonable. I get tired fighting about it all the time, anyway.

DK: Awesome. Happy Brandon Moss day to you and yours, my friend.

52. Ghost says:

Anybody in the mood for a nice, feel-good story about Bob Nutting?

Oh yeah — GO WANDY!!

DK: SALE THE TEAM!

53. I think it’s official. DK has gone feral. :)

DK: Just trying to get a job instructing Pirates minor-leaguers!

54. Wise beyond your years my friend.

55. cherokee23 says:

Agreed

Cowher was always drafting low, too. They didn’t win the Superbowl until the end, but they were drafting very low, based on the success of Cowher’s teams. He also was the coach when they moved up to get Troy. Without Troy, where were they?

I agree with you. I hate that when a discussion about how one of our relievers faltered the night before eventually, without fail, turns into the NH is dumb and BN is cheap.

I don’t read many of the posts about the Pens, but don’t they go back to the same issues too? Not about their front office but other stuff like line pairings or that Geno is a baby?

58. pattonbb says:

Line 1 – 100 UNDER
    Line 2 – 100 UNDER
    Line 3 – 100 UNDER

The window, as always, is appreciated.

59. DK: OK, I’ll put the bat down now. Enjoy the game, all!

Not sure if weather will hold up, given what’s coming down outside, though.

60. Nate83 says:

Brandon Moss. I forgot that is the guy that the management team not only screwed up on by picking him up but also screwed up on for letting him go. That takes talent. To both overvalue and undervalue the same player.

Wow.

62. Kevin says:

TC, pens comments usually end with “Fire Bylsma”. But penguins are winning again so I guess those people are just waiting in the wings with their “Fire Bylsma” comments cocked at the ready.

63. Ghost says:

Too much to disagree with here to even start to debate. Did some dreaming hippies opened up the door to their microbus in your proximity?

64. Ghost says:

Got here late today, but I actually have thoroughly enjoyed the repartee over the last twenty-four hours. Well done, everyone.

65. Nate83 says:

wow what?

66. I can only offer you a job at The Window, sorry.

67. Kevin says:

#1 100 under
    #2 100 over
    #3 100 under!
    Please, Mr. Playoffs, sir! I think their should be a reward for last place. Even if its just a hug.

68. kr70 says:

DK’s been hacked!

69. Naje says:

No. What’s your excuse?

70. Ghost says:

TBMTIB

71. kr70 says:

100 under all three

ZING!

Agreed too

74. Think POSITIVE…YOU GOT IT!

I didn’t know the lunatics were Pirates minor leaguers.:D

That would be Chip’s chain ;)

Just so long as you don’t start dressing like one!

Ya know Ghostie, you’re all right ;)

What happened AW, you win the lottery???

80. Frankie says:

Give me
    1. 50 on under

2. 100 on over

3. 50 on over

81. Dave G says:

Wow.

On so many levels.

This BMTIB stuff has been cultivated right here for so long.

And now it’s tiresome.

Wow.

DK: Dave, I dare say there’s a difference between reporting on something, and having it discussed for a month or two or five of whatever, and having it continue to dominate the blog day after day after day.

So where it gets “cultivated” isn’t an issue, whether I wrote it or anyone else did. It’s that, man, it’s pretty clear we’re all out of stuff to say about it.

KDKA is reporting the West End Bridge has been shut down due to a suspicious package on it

So, its safe to come out from under the bed now??

That’s good, its pretty dusty down there ;-)

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    North Dakota
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

332 locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds. Or all. Or a Burgher. Or, just because.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh
    13 countries
    45 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 5 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    4/19/2013 4:55 PM

I still think this is the best dam blog most likely anywhere ;-)

85. Brandie says:

DK, I got to the party late…had to transport kids home today. Read through the blog…Quite entertaining. Your point is well taken by this gal.

86. tdb1977 says:

Window – lets see what my magic telephone pole tells me…

100 on the over for line 1
    100 on the under for line 2
    100 on the over for line 3

HOKA HEY! Embrace the suck and become hippies all! Peace, love, and Pirates baseball brought to us by the BMTIB!

I agree.
    Someone found their sense of humor

88. Just an FYI…if any game this weekend gets cancelled or postponed Lines #2 and #3 will be voided.

89. No problemo, you got it.

90. I have problem gambler pamphlets from my last trip to Vegas. Those might work.

You got it.

91. You forgot ALL IN…you got it!!

James Harrison has signed with the Bengals. The Bengals obviously chose to release this news on a Friday after 5 PM with a terrorist on the loose.

93. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

bwhahahahahahahaha………

94. Brandie says:

Mr. Playoffs,
    I would like 100 under on all three lines please. Thank you.

95. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Line 1: 100 Under

Line 2: 100 Over

Line 3: 100 Over (fingers crossed)

96. Brandie says:

Come into the light, Biz. Sorry, but “Embrace The Suck” sounds like something used to sell Electrolux Vacuums.

97. Lad9 says:

Back from a Louisville trip to try my luck. Will go with:

Line 1 – 100 on the under
    Line 2 – 50 on the over
    Line 3 – as much as it pains me, 100 on the under

Thank you Playoffs. Go Buccos!

98. Lad9 says:

So right Chuck. I like Clint, but I was screaming at the TV to get Hughes out of there after the first batter in the 8th. I didn’t even want to see him come out for a second inning. Sorry, he just is not that good. Competes his butt off, but he is never going to be a high leverage reliever.

That was pretty wild ;-)

100. Or Uncle Charlie or Bub.

I need a new vacuum cleaner, the girls go under there, but they are dachsys, not much hair to clean out the dust

102. Your welcome and you got it!!

Sounds just like nuttin, er nothing of merit

Post du jour, humor wise

105. Your welcome and you got it!!

106. Brandie says:

“I don’t often embrace the suck, but when I do, I can strip the chrome off of a trailer hitch.”. The Pirates, 2013…Keep hope alive, my friends.

107. Pucknutz says:

Biz,
    Should we refer to it as the BDBMLA then?? lol
    Na, better not do that, we will only be allowed to discuss it in the Curling thread!!!

Sorry DK hadda zing ya, debil made me do it! :)

108. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

look who’s creeping up to the top!! good thing for the others that I missed the first week or so of the window

109. What a way to close your career. With all those stripes all over you.

Many of those guys go from Bengal stripes to prison stripes or should. At least Bengal orange to prison orange.

110. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Months? Trying years!!! same old, same old.

111. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I hope this is a joke……copycats

112. cmat0829 says:

hmmm, good lines as always, need a job in Vegas??

Lets go Bucs…and lets go with 100 on each:

1) UNDER. I hope Wandy can go 6 2/3 but my gut says 6 solid innings.

2) OVER. He’ll get 3 hits against Paul tomorrow night and at least 1 each fri/sunday.

3) OVER. Need to take 2 of these 3 and split the series. tonights game is key.

113. cmat0829 says:

DK: Thanks for the string of posts today and on pointing out something that frankly makes me want to stop reading the blog some days… which sucks because this community is a great one and I enjoy reading and sometimes posting. But yes, it is way past time to stop with the make every discussion come back to “it’s the Pirates front office at fault”… and every win or loss has some component that we can either blame or exonerate the front office.

Take last night… the Braves offense is on fire with the long ball and that won them the game. Locke made some mistakes and so did Hughes and the Braves are now 13-2. The Bucs battled and I’m starting to get very concouraged about the offense… and we lost to a team that is winning every game pretty much now. Can’t we enjoy it? Wins and losses? Great plays? Good atbats?

It’s almost like the blog is doing to watching the games what Fantasy Football is doing to watching NFL. It almost isnt about plays on the field but things that happen that let people post their opinions on the front office.

LETS GO BUCS.

TC, you think DK found his sense of humor?

I think he just had his first beer.

Going to the game tonight.

My wife and I will be in our seats, enjoying the game, and debating every roster move the BMTIB has made since they started.

I will be hoping that DK will come down from his perch in the press box and join us.
    My wife will have no idea who he is.

I understand what Dejan is saying

I will bite my tongue, or try to

I just do not like or respect those guys that run the show, it comes out in my posts far too often

The players? An entirely different matter

I do not like the FO

But anyone that comes here, if you do not know that, please raise your hand

Like I said, I get where Dejan is coming from

That was my other theory

Priceless!

You are just wishing that so you can rag at Drew ;-)

Stay warm

I got tickets for tomorrow and even with a Cutch bobblehead day

Well, I’m still shivering from Opening Day

Plus I can’t find my coupon to park at the casino for free

Forgot to say, I may not go

I’ll go with the first beer theory

I will go with the “beer makes him funny” theory. ;)

Drew hasn’t been heard from since this morning :(

Dejan is strictly caffeinated

No beers, no gambling

He told us that when he stayed at the Bellagio for the Winter Meetings several years ago

Crap, wish I’d have learned that trick

I know, I think he was a bit ticked

Am hoping it was just because he stepped in poodle poo this am

I know stepping in dachsy poo kinda ruins my day.

But seriously yeah, worried a bit

Senor Playoffs………..

Line 1 ………. 100 UNDER
    Line 2 ………. 50 OVER
    Line 3 ………. 100 UNDER

Being I was one of the peoples that brought up the forbidden topic last night, I will never bring it up again. I will just whistle thru the tulips, and read a book. Or magazine. Or Church Bulletin. Or my Miranda Rights.

But I will continue to hope we get a real set of men running the team one day.

GO BUCS!!!!

GO MIRANDA RIGHTS !!!! ;)

Playoffs, sir, my wagers are 1st line 100 under. 2nd line 100 over. 3rd line 100 7,(34. Thank you! You rock!

That was 3rd line under. Darn phone.

Just count your hippo toes ;)

Did anyone ask him if he shared a room with Jack?

Me too. Upset actually. :(

“Well, I’m still shivering from Opening Day”

Yeah, you said you went with AW but how was the weather?

Ba dum tsssss.

133. Joey Mellons says:

50 & under on all 3 lines

LOL !!!!!

I am staying low and “good” from now on.
    I love to whistle, and I am very good at it, so thats what I will do. ;)

Besides, I dont want to get any size 9 wides, if ya know what I mean……………..

Nope, just totally confused. Who’s on first?

I’m not very good at being good.

*sell

Join the club friend, no dues.

141. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window from the old pueblo here in Tucson. Wanted to get in on the action before gametime and my drive back.

Line 1 – 75 on the UNDER

Line 2- 50 on the OVER

Line 3- 100 on the UNDER

Thanks Playoffs…and Lets Go Bucs, in Wandy We Trust!

I resemble that. Oh, and since it’s allowed on the game thread, the FO SUCKS.

No problem with the intent. It’s all in the delivery.

Just disgusting ….

Bazinga!

Fire…

…them …

…all.

And ice!

150. Pucknutz says:

“I still think this is the best dam blog most likely anywhere”

Agree w/ya Biz. I have found this blog to be one of the most “civilized” I have stumbled upon. Very little if any name calling, no nasty language, heated discussions and differences of opinion, but generally not mean spirited.
    Lotta pokin , jabbin, and zinging, all in good fun though, good for a chuckle or two.
    I also get where DK is coming from – but – as I posted yesterday I believe he is pi**ing into the wind attempting to control it. Because – Until Nutting and the BMTIB are gone it will continue to fester and be on of those scabs that ya just can’t help pickin at.
    I does not bother me , it has indeed been hashed and re re hashed to infinitesimal pieces, so small I don’t even see em anymore. Eyes just glaze over and move on.

I quit pickin at that scab a while ago, waiting and hoping for the cure!

GO PENS!

151. pattonbb says:

Tim Hudson is going for career win #200. Hoping that accomplishment doesn’t happen tonight.

Russell Martin has a lifetime .071 (1 for 14) batting average against Hudson. The Fort is hitting .400 (2 for 5) against him. Granted, it’s a small sample, but there’s some managers that might consider that when filling out their lineup.

Lets go Bucs!!

Just whistling here…………………… :)

153. Karen22 says:

1. 50 – OVER

2. 100 – OVER

3. 50 – UNDER

154. Pucknutz says:

100 on each
    line 1 UNDER
    line 2 OVER
    line 3 UNDER

Thanks Playoffs

Line #1. 100 Under

Line #2. 75 Over

Line#3. 50 Under

As always, thanks for doing this, Playoffs. Plus, it’s always on the game thread, so we don’t have any BMTIB issues. :-)

156. He told me years ago he doesn’t drink and he’s said it on the blogs at times and he has solid reasoning for it.

157. Karen22 says:

I think I’m happy I was up in the Finger Lakes wining (instead of whining) the past few days. Nice distraction from the INSANITY in Boston and the grumbling over the Bucs. After Boston, Hoka Hey and such is mere trivia.

God bless, yinz all!

158. pattonbb says:

Any idea what he signed for ($$$)? All I know is it’s a 2 year deal. Haven’t found any numbers.

:-)

Alert you all back to the news. Something’s up.

Reports are he’s down.

Brandon Moss the opposite of Garrett Jones, two players who broke out at age 28. Pirates gave Moss 45 games in 2008 and he hit a rousing .222, then 1333 in 2009 to a .238 BA with 7 HR. They even gave him some times in 2010 to .154 BA, sent him to Indy and was an FA after the season. Phils signed him and they didn’t keep him either. Oakland didn’t even bring him until mid-season. Every move that doesn’t work is not due toi bag decisions and Moss is one of those, as is Vogelsong.

163. JRay3 says:

Always much more confident when I see either #34 or #51 on the mound. Can we try a two man rotation? Nice quick work by Wandy to start things off.

can’t type–to bad decisions

165. So, does that make you an apologist?

Just kidding. Note wide-mouthed emoticon. :D

Dripping with doubles.

167. JRay3 says:

6th double of season for Snider who has pit together 7 game hitting streak…his play warrants him in lineup.

168. Brandie says:

From a cannon.

169. Pucknutz says:

CBS is saying he is in a boat surrounded.

170. JRay3 says:

Frustrating half inning…Bucs hit ball on the button but get nothing to show for squaring Hudson up.

171. cherokee23 says:

Wow! Bad call on Tabby, line drive double Snider, wicked line drives by Cutch & Garrett.

172. JRay3 says:

To be fair that ump called BJ Upton out in play he appeared to be safe on in top half of first.

173. pattonbb says:

Make up call. Upton was safe earlier.

174. pattonbb says:

Only thing surrounding him now are the fires of Hell.

Sorry, no offense meant to anyone.

175. pattonbb says:

oops, I was wrong. Sounds like he’s still breathing, for the time being.

176. JRay3 says:

Trip trip triple for the Pittsburgh kid on ball misplayed by Upton…than Pedro goes yard over Clemente Wall as he clears it completely on second blast in as many days…El Toro heating up, 2-0 good guys!

Crickets.

178. cherokee23 says:

Batting practice?!

BOOM !!!

NICE !!!

180. JRay3 says:

Martin makes CH look good by having him in lineup with double off wall as Pirates raking on Hudson early.

Nope, plenty of bad decisions

So would my mother-in-law.

183. pattonbb says:

That’s what I meant to say earlier. Hurdle knows what he’s doing by playing Martin over the Fort. :)

184. Usually we’re rooting around for extra-base hits, but it’s all extra-base knocks tonight. Hope Hudson stays around for a few innings and gives up some more.

185. MadTurk says:

In honor of today’s posts I hve changed my Gravatar

186. MadTurk says:

Smiley face beating a dead horse.

187. MadTurk says:

Lucky old Roy Rodgers was not here to see it.

188. Brandie says:

Wandy Forever. Good to see the bats coming around. Fire Dan Bylsma….oops! Sorry, wrong thread.

Football: Fire Tomlin!
    Hockey: Fire Bylsma!
    Soccer: Fire Highmark!
    College Sports: Fire Everyone at Duquesne and Pitt!

Baseball: Just whistling thru the tulips. ;)

190. JRay3 says:

Wandy showing no ill effects from the hammy…dealing through five as he finishes inning with fourth punch out. He is in total command out there. What a difference solid pitching can make.

191. Brandie says:

The tulips thank you.

Zing!

Nope, covered in line 4. :D

What are you, The Tulip Whisperer??? 8-)

Glad you’re home Karen :)

196. Brandie says:

This club is not put together to be an offensive juggernaut. They need to have solid pitching with solid defensive backup to take the pressure off of the offense and allow them to manufacture runs.

197. JRay3 says:

Snider with second hit of night as now three buccos have multi-hit games going off Hudson, 8 total…chance to add on.

Me too!

199. Brandie says:

One of the many hats I wear.

::snicker::

201. JRay3 says:

Love how the Pirate hitters have gone the other way all night on Hudson who has been pitching away and now has been chased on Jones 2 RBI hit.

Some awful baserunning by McCutchen there. Should be 2nd & 3rd. Just an observation, not a criticism.

It’s already cost them a run & maybe two. Need a hit to make the point moot.

204. Brandie says:

Constructive observation, Mr. Milo.

205. JRay3 says:

How about a strikeout to make it a moot point? Everything going Bucs way.

That foul pop was right in front of me. At first it looked routine and Jones actually played it right. But then the wind really got a hold of it. Tough play

207. Patrick(RI) says:

Don’t fire The GM. Fire the parrot. Hire the ducks!

Listening to scanner – Suspect In Custody.

209. Patrick(RI) says:

Productive SO by our alternate slick fielding SS.

210. Brandie says:

Wit and a half, Mr. mad Turk.

211. pattonbb says:

Well done Boston. Suspect is in custody and alive according to multiple reports.

Glad you shared.that TC, I was cussing Jones out!

Juan D! Juan D! Juan D!

214. Brandie says:

Efficient outing. No wasted pitches.

Juan Valdez? 8-)

216. Brandie says:

No. Juan Epstein.

217. MadTurk says:

Thank you, and if the people interviewing you Monday have at least a half wit about them you will have a new job. Good Luck!

No, Don Juan. 8-)

STFD Upton!

Who started that? Was it Drew?

Those ducks are crackin me up!

222. Brandie says:

Yinz guys, Beat em, n’at.

223. MadTurk says:

Right church wrong pew? oops Where’s Lucky when you need him?

I thought the ump was out of line. He shouldn’t have given Upton that little wave

225. Brandie says:

Thank you, Mr. Mad Turk.

Fire the ump!

Juan D. Rodriguez.

They are my relatives. Somehow.
    They are “quackin’” me up. :)

I am impressed with Wandy tonight.
    After the injury, I didnt think he would make it to the 6th tonight.

He looks very good, not many wasted pitches.

230. MadTurk says:

This is coming from one who has experience with Chrome mufflers?

YOU started it :)

232. JRay3 says:

Ha too funny…ya stay classy BJ

“quackers” relatives of hippos??? ;)

234. Brandie says:

Sandy and AJ…if we could only clone them.

235. MadTurk says:

Aflac aflac, I mean you quack me up. I hear your cousin lacerated his wing, he has been doing wing lifts to get it stronger. How’s he doing?

236. JRay3 says:

How do you spell bullpen relief?…W A N D Y or for others J U A N D!!! He is doing his part to save arms tonight.

darn Jandy Typo disease ;)

238. JRay3 says:

Shucks and here I thought this Sandy character was someone that was replacing either Sanchez or Locke in the rotation:)

He is “winging it” just fine thank you.
    He will be as good as new soon.

Now we need to get him into a good rehab…………… ;)

Cheese and Quackers, Jandy!

Dont you know all animals are somehow related, since Noah and his big boat?

241. tdb1977 says:

I was sending my wife a text message and auto-correct first send Wandy to my wife as Wendy. The second time was Sandy and the final time was correct with Wandy.

Is he related to Jose can you see? ;)

LOL!

Melancon!!!

silly me ;)

246. Brandie says:

Will I have a rehab start or two to straighten this out?

247. JRay3 says:

This is where CH frustrates me…why remove Wandy at 80 pitches? Why use an overuse Melancon in situation not needed? Why use your closer the other night for one out in non-save situation? His use of bullpen is highly questionable and he has a tendency to yank starters that are grooving early.

Just do not get it.

248. Brandie says:

Should he hold on, brother change his name to WON-dy.

This Wandy’s first start after the injury. It is REALLYcold tonight.

And are we believing the hype that Melancon is over used.

What good is a fresh Melancon in September if we’re out of the race?

250. JRay3 says:

Ten appearances for Melancon in first sixteen? Can’t assume we won’t be in it in September, how about if this team is in it? 80 pitches is nothing he only skipped one start. When you have an opportunity to rest your pen you take it.

251. JRay3 says:

And if it is that cold we need to tell Wandy to put on sleeves out there.

252. Brandie says:

Pendant and not Pierogi.

253. Brandie says:

Cross fingers and toes.

The braves have had zero runners left on base

That is very hard for hippos to do.
    Just sayin’ ……..

256. Brandie says:

Cross eyes then.

LOL!

I misremember…where did Mazzaro come from?

already there. ;)

Minimum 27 batters faced.

261. tdb1977 says:

Raise those flower covered jolly roger hippie nation!

262. JRay3 says:

Behind nine hits, many off of or over the Clemente Wall and the sterling pitching performance turned in by Wand Rodriguez, the Bucs take the second game of this four game set over the Braves by a score of 6-0 and there was nooooooo doubt about it.

The win gets the Pirates back to .500 at 9-9 as they are winners of 8 of their past 12. They turn to James McDonald tomorrow night in the third game of the set.

Lets Go Bucs.

Now i can stop whistling for the night!

Nice win.
    Wandy impressed me tonight.

I am just glad its over, coz I was getting sore trying to cross my toes.
    Just sayin’.

Trade with KC in the off season.

TY Roberto

TY Milo

lol…relax and get some sleep :)

268. Brandie says:

Next time, cross your t’s and dot you i’s, or cross your arms, or cross the street.

yeah, where is Spunky>???

After the rough day I had at work, I should have been in bed at 6:30.

But hippos arent the smartest creatures. ;)

just don’t cross your eyes, you won’t see straight then ;)

Ever seen a hippo cross the road?
    Neither have I.
    Thats for those dumb chickens. 8-)

But I wouls see like a hippee!!!! :)

274. RobertoForever says:

you didn’t have to ‘mention’ the word ‘positive’ or ‘negative’ ‘. All of your sarcastic comments (or snide, maybe) were on the negative side, and strangely, resemble many of your tweets.

DK: And it really, truly befuddles you that negative subject matter — 20 years, five-plus under this management, two straight historic collapses — can elicit a DEFAULT negative reaction.

It really mystifies you, doesn’t it?

You really think that this particular subject matter has earned a clean-slate, 50/50 look at every move it makes.

Moreover, you really think that when you bring up stuff like this that you’ve unearthed some great scoop that I think this management team should be replaced. Like it’s some big Eureka! moment even after all I’ve reported, researched and written in my columns — signed, with a little picture and a big headline on Page 2.

This franchise became a joke — literally, in the context of how people laugh at it — many years ago, and that, most unfortunately, has only added its own new chapters under this front office.

They got benefit of doubt for a long time with my coverage, as I’m sure you’ll agree.

But in Year 6?

Seriously?

If I WASN’T taking the highly public, blunt and plain stance that I have, I’d be terribly derelict in what this job is supposed to entail.

I’m very sorry that you can’t or won’t accept that.

All 9 !!!

How about that Front Office!!! Putting this team together!

277. Brandie says:

Feel a Mel Allen vibe here…”How about that?”

278. Baywatch says:

I love Wandy Rodriguez!

279. RobertoForever says:

The point I made wasn’t that you shouldn’t write columns critical.

It was that for weeks you refused to write about the regular Pirates stuff. And said so, over and over. And over. On the blog, twitter and in replies to folks.

The surprising thing is, after encouraging this snideness, you are now shocked that the result is lots of imitation of the leader on the blog.

I’m sorry you are unable or unwilling to see, or acknowledge it.

And very few of my comments ‘defend’ the FO. Usually they draw perspective by looking at related situations or comparisons. Like the comment about the attendance.

Enjoy your night.

DK: ‘Refused to write?’

I’ve read this three times now and still don’t understand what you’re getting at. If it’s about the amount of Pirates content produced, I’ve written exactly 10 headlined columns specifically about the Pirates (as opposed to something just generally about baseball) in this calendar year. That includes five in a row from Bradenton, where I was the only local columnist to travel this spring.

We’re roughly 15 weeks into the calendar year, and I’ve written 44 columns. Almost a quarter of those were about the Pirates, even though they’ve only been in-season for 16 games now.

Search for yourself:

My columns are my work. They’re my record. The blog entries, the various video interviews I put up, the chat and the TribLIVE Radio show are on the list, too, but count nowhere near what the columns do. (Even there, there’s been a lot of Pirates, all exclusive material.) Everything else — and I mean everything, from social media to this thing right here — is conversation. Nothing more.