On location: Pirates 4, Braves 2

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (9-8) vs. Atlanta Braves (13-4)

Starters: LHP Jonathan Sanchez vs. RHP Kris Medlen

Time: 1:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. J. Sanchez, LHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel and I are on the scene.

UPDATE 11:58 a.m.: Shot from outside a little bit ago …

IMG_1168

Comments

1. Karen22 says:

Sweeeeeeeeeeep!!

(And, oh, it’s time Mr. Barmes steps up and contributes to the awakening of the arsenal. Past time, actually).

2. kr70 says:

Russell Martin is a genius!! Now if he can work his magic on J. Sanchez. I was really worried we would be buried after this homestand. Give ‘em credit, I love jumping on this bandwagon!! Beat ‘em Bucs

3. radio wave says:

A very productive, impressive homestand. Let’s finish it off today with another win.

4. tomp says:

It would be nice if Root Sports would show the total pitches thrown by the pitcher, inside their inside game scoreboard. I am quite sure the Mariners show this, and they are also a Root Sports affiliate.

Is it a $$$$ thing for the Pirates to add this to the telecast?.

I find this a very useful feature, and if possible, i wish Root Sports would somehow incorporate this into the scoreboard.

It seems pretty much every other team shows this, on their local telecasts.

Can anyone pass the word to someone at Root?

5. tomp says:

Minus the shaky early inning walks, James McDonald was dealing.

The Pirates need to really limit Steve Blass like the Mets limit appearances by Ralph Kiner. Blass and Walk have become un-listenable on most nights.

If I am allowed to say it on a Baseball game thread…

Holy Crap, I enjoyed the, um, “H” column this morning.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. Let’s open The Window…What’ll ya have? What’ll ya have?
    As always this is just for fun and entertainment purposes.

Max “wager” is 100 units on each separate line.
    All “wagers” must be divisible by 5.
    Play as many or a few as you’d like.
    Please put your replies in this dialogue box, makes it much easier for me to “book-keep” that way.

Today’s PICK ‘EM Line
    Total STRIKEOUTS by Pedro Alvarez in today’s game
    ZERO (Double Odds)
    ONE (Even Odds)
    TWO (Even Odds)

Anyone can play, and everyone should try!

**The Window is on twitter, @TheBuccoWindow, feel free to follow**

Thanks to all for playing and good luck!!

Rules are rules. chip

10. bman says:

@Playoffs:

I’ll take 40 on ZERO

11. tcb says:

50 – ZERO.

12. KJX says:

100 one

13. Joey Mellons says:

25 units on 1 k.

14. Tdb1977 says:

100 Legos on line number 1 please.

15. Frankie says:

Give me 50 on 2……..thanks

16. Oz says:

Give me 50 on zero

Thx!

17. Karen22 says:

The Marte-ful was FIVE!! :(

18. Karen22 says:

Hmmmmm…25 on TWO.

19. JMB says:

Wait, is Drew Chip?

I thought DK was Chip since he has a “chip” on his shoulder.

I’m confused…

Is anyone writing these rules down? :-)

100 on ZERO

Thanks

Uh-oh.
    NH just mentioned the local media (and national media) during his weekly radio show.

He almost made it through the entire show………..

23. Brandie says:

Mr. Playoffs,
    50 on zero, please and thank you.

Greg Brown keeps saying the PBC has won 5 of 8 this homestand, haven’t we won 6 of 8?

25. SORRY. THE LAST OPTION SHOULD READ TWO OR MORE
    ANYONE “WAGERING” ON TWO IS WAGERING ON TWO OR MORE

26. The last option should read TWO OR MORE

27. Brandie says:

I will keep an eye out. :-)

28. cherokee23 says:

50 on 1

29. Brandie says:

They change like the tides.

30. Brandie says:

Should take wagers on that.

+ 1

32. cmat0829 says:

50 units on ZERO PLEASE

hmmmm tough one today… Pedro is starting to get his timing together but he is bound to strike out at least once…. but the counter-the-bet logic says maybe today he becomes a contact artist…. lets take the double odds and wager 50 units on ZERO.

33. Officer Mancuso says:

Hopefully the bats do some meddling with Medlen. His career stats are mighty impressive, 20-9, 2.77 ERA. This team has been confounding my post-Cubs fiasco pessimism with an impressive run against elite teams. GO BUCS.

34. Officer Mancuso says:

It feels like 9 of 8 after yesterday’s showing.

+ 1

36. Lad9 says:

75 on one K. Thank you Playoffs

37. radio wave says:

At playoffs: please give me 50 on the line for one strike out today. Thank you.

38. cmat0829 says:

On the telecast comments:

I think the total pitches thrown is shown plenty at the right times in the game, no need to have it count and display all the time.. i.e. do I care that in the 1st inning, the pitch count is 11 or 14 or 15?

Blass, Walk et al… has anyone else noticed that they seem to be pairing Neverett and Walk this season more and Greg and Blass? I think the weakest pairing is Neverett and Blass personally so maybe they are making adjustments based on that?

I like Blass and I also think it is good he is only on the home games as I really enjoy Wehner’s analysis… of all, he focuses more on the game at hand and provides good hitting insights. Walk can be really really good when he sticks to that and it seems he tends to do that more with Tim than he is with Greg….

But having watched pretty much every single local announcing team, Pirates fans have nothing to complain about. Root is above average, especially factually. It is astonishing how often the other announcing teams are wrong… case in point, Braves Joe Simpson opined the other day that (1) Taillon was drafted in the same draft as Cole (2) Taillon is a college pitcher (3) Taillon is from Texas A&M. Really no excuse for not looking at the media guide, Joe.

39. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window. Great day to take a series. Tough line today.

Taking a quick look at Pedro’s last 10 games he has struck out once in five of them 50%, struck out 0 time in 3 of them 30% and 2+ in 2 of them 20%.

Small play here on the numbers so I will take 25 on ONE.

Thanks an Lets Go Bucs.

40. Brandie says:

Happy Sunday Drew. Thoroughly enjoyed the “H” column too.

41. I agree with you.
    The Pirates broadcast team is good, not great, but better than most.

For my money, I still enjoy nothing more than watching a game announced by Vin Scully or Bob Uecker.
    I also felt the strongest broadcast team for a number of years was Len Casper and Bob Brenly with the Cubs.
    I felt they did a real good job of calling the game and keeping the viewers involved with the broadcast.
    Too bad Bob Brenly went back to AZ.

42. Brandie says:

Release The Kraken, Mr. Barnes.

43. Window will officially close after the first pitch is thrown to Pedro Alvarez. So still time to “wager”.

Good Luck and GO BUCS!!

44. Brandie says:

Barmes. Thank you auto correct.

45. JRay3 says:

This ump is brutal, Sanchez should have 2 K’s according to K zone…thankfully he works thru it to get out of first.

46. Brandie says:

Astute observation…Martin Forever?

47. JRay3 says:

Huge step in right direction at least put the thought into opposition that they can not run at will on team as they did a year ago.

48. Dadtackular says:

On the telecasts comments:
    I a Pirate fan in Illinois and have a steady diet of Cub and Cardinal games. The Pirates are a full step behind Cardinal broadcasters. Plain and simple. About the same as the Cubs. IMO.

49. JRay3 says:

Travis Snider with a OBP hovering around .425 perfect for a two hole hitter with Cutch and Jones behind you.

50. Dadtackular says:

Love the retro uniforms!

51. JRay3 says:

Marte has OBP of .371, but only 3 BB’s and 20 K’s. Snider has 6 BB’s and 10 K’s, but even though some metrics may work I don’t think Snider has speed you want in that spot and seems comfortable where he is getting pitches to hit in front of Cutch.

52. JRay3 says:

Tough luck inning for Sanchez who gives up two runs on four rollers through infield where fielders were not…nothing stung especially hard. Pitch count already at 50 so looks like pen is goung to have cover some innings once again today.

53. Officer Mancuso says:

Martin doubles. Pedro bats him in. All I need now is a grand slam and unassisted triple play from Barmes, and I win a free Crowducken.

54. JRay3 says:

Martin is 8-17 in last five games .470 an Pedro is 4-12 .333…good to see these two heating up.

55. Officer Mancuso says:

The baseball gods are collecting from Sanchez what McDonald owes them from yesterday’s 2′nd inning.

56. Officer Mancuso says:

Timely stats JRay3. Seems like all Pedro needed was for DK to type that he’d been stinkin’ the place up worse than many realized, but *will* come around, and….voila!

57. Officer Mancuso says:

58. Officer Mancuso says:

Baseball without stats would be like piloting an airplane with no instrument that proves which way is up.

59. JRay3 says:

Sanchez labors to get out of third, throwing 24 pitches, 74 thru 3 IP, two more walks, and a wild pitch but keeps game tied at 2. Jeanmar Gomez come on down.

60. Officer Mancuso says:

Sanchez is frustrating to watch. 3 walks and 5 K’s, about 75 pitches through 3 innings. The 5 K’s say talent, the 3 walks and 75 pitches say “Danger, Will Robinson!” I do not mean this as a dig, this is a sincere question – are he, Martin and the pitching coach able to communicate fluently in English? If not, is a translator available? I think Sanchez has some miles left on his demonstrably big league skills. I’d hate to think that the lack of a translator making $35/hr was the problem.

61. JRay3 says:

Barmes 5 hits in 44 AB’s comes very close to an automatic out these days.

62. Brandie says:

Numbers never lie.

63. Officer Mancuso says:

I can barely type while spitting out crow feathers.

64. JRay3 says:

Fourth free pass delivered by Pirates pitching today, playing with fire.

Jones misses tag on pickoff attempt which should have been an out.

65. Numbers can be massaged to make a variety of claims about what is true. People who’ve studied probability & statistics know this, and people who haven’t mistrust the enterprise.

I think signing Jonathan Sanchez was a good risk…if he could have started in the minors

67. Where can I buy my tickets now?

68. Yep. Something was wrong last year.

69. Brandie says:

He has has control problems for years. Placing him as a starter in the rotation is like throwing good money after bad if he cannot give the team consistent quality starts.

70. JRay3 says:

Leadoff walk, 5th of the game…Braves have been given chances all day with runners on.

71. Brandie says:

I friendly amend my previous statement … Numbers never lie, people do. :-)

72. Big AB for Cutch comes up empty. Even the best only get on base a third of the time.

That’s why think it would have been better if he could have started in the minors. (they didn’t have much choice but to put him in the rotation with the big league team).

Go down to Indy, little less pressure there, work on improving his control

74. Next up Walker Alvarez & Martin. Cmon Bucs.

Wouldn’t he have walked if they did not put him on the major league roster? Or was that Gomez? Or both?

76. Rut roh. The pen fails. Still a remarkable run against good teams. This Pirates team CAN beat the best in baseball. No shame in not doing it every night.

77. JRay3 says:

Justin Wilson continues to flash ice in his veins, induces inning ending DP, another jam escaped. Lets get the pen some runs.

78. Brandie says:

Let him walk, if that had to be the case. Show some backbone, though I must say management has come a long way since The Raul Mondesi debacle.

79. I saw men on base and made an assumption which this team proved false. GO BUCS

80. JRay3 says:

And the least likely guy in Bucs lineup comes through for secon time today as Barmes gets a squibber single up middle to bring in Walker, 3-2 good guys.

81. Brandie says:

Way to go, Mr. Barmes.

82. Clint BarmeRBI is messin with Medlen.

83. Lad9 says:

Martin saves a run with another strike em out/throw em out. If Barajas was back there this is a totally different game

84. Bob Hasis says:

A small valuable example of getting an extra base – especially a tag up from first base by Walker, then two measly ground balls up the middle and the lead run emerges

85. Brandie says:

Great reference. With confidence at the plate, I hope that helps the hitting come around. Hold on Bucs…Barnes for Player of The Game.

86. tcb says:

+1.

I thought the same.

87. Brandie says:

I meant Martin.

88. JRay3 says:

Astute observation.

I think you are right Biz.

I guess what I meant was “in a perfect world”.
    We could have signed him to a minor league deal and sent him to the minors. And when we eventually called him up he would go on to win multiple Cy Young awards.

(OK, much too perfect world)

90. Brandie says:

Both fans and opponents are learning not to underestimate the Buccos. Leave the Yinzers speechless.

91. Bad baserunning preventing more runs there.

92. Bob Hasis says:

A microcosm of brilliance and something far less, in less than a minute by Marte.

I have a sneaking feeling Leyva was involved

93. Marte would have been better off running into the third baseman that almost didn’t get out of the way in time. Fielder interference may have been called or something.

94. JRay3 says:

Don’t get why CH did not use Gaby against the lefty in lieu of Jones. Jones continues to struggle versus LHP and fails to get Marte in.

95. JRay3 says:

A gift wrapped insurance run, Bucs will take it 4-2 on wild pitch.

96. Bob Hasis says:

Especially now that Sanchez is in for “defensive purposes”

97. Bob Hasis says:

I think Melancon is incredible, and Grilli is phenomenal. They are a 8th-9th inning FORCE

98. Bob Hasis says:

Oops I just presumed it was Melancon. Watson will suffice

99. Melancon pitched the last two games, I think so that third day thing with Clint came into play if that was the case.

100. I could be wrong, I may even be thinking of Grilli. We’ll see in the 9th if the Grill-master comes out.

101. Karen22 says:

OK! ‘Bout darn time! Nice game, Clint!

102. JRay3 says:

Tip of the cap to the great effort and amazing job Gomez, Wilson, Hughes and Watson have turned in covering five innings today. Pirate bullpen came in with 3rd lowest ERA amongst NL teams and that figures to drop.

103. Karen22 says:

And I’ll be happy to be WRONG!

104. Brandie says:

If it’s Chilli-Grilli, I am good with that, whomever gives the Buccos the best chance for the W.

105. In the immortal gesters of AJ, Shhhh!

106. …about the extras that is.

On the contrary, nothing like a little healthy competition to motivate people. 8-)

Just got home. Bucs up 4-2.
    How have they looked?
    Who has looked good?

Barmes?

Wow!

110. Patrick(RI) says:

How about taking one of the perogies and stuffing him down the throat of that horn?

I like Grilli, he’s not all about heat

+1, at least we’re not sitting next to it ;-)

What did the poor pierogi ever do to deserve that? ;)

114. JRay3 says:

Behind six magnificent innings turned in by Pirates bullpen, capped by Jason Grilli’s seventh save in as many chances, the Pirates down the Braves 4-2 and there was nooooooooo doubt about it. The Bucs take the four game series from the Braves and close out the home stand 7-2.

With the win the Bucs improve to a season best two over .500 at 10-8 and have now won 9 of their past 12. The Pirates take to the road and begin a four game series tomorrow night in Philadelphia with AJ Burnett getting the call in the opening game.

Lets Go Bucs!

The Bucs went Jeri Ryan on this homestand!!!!! :D

116. Patrick(RI) says:

My apologies to the perogies.

117. Raise it , baby!!! Translate this homestand into the long road trip now.

Sorry Roberto……………….
    Martin knew Fort was doing well, so he did the professional thing, and sucked it up.

Yes, Hurdle loves his vets, but if Martin continued sucking, and Fort continued doing well, well, you know.

119. Patrick(RI) says:

Especially for spelling.

And I loves me some Jeri Ryan !!!!!!! 8-)

121. TJ says:

Wow what a series by the Buccos. 3 out of 4 from the Braves who had come in to the series with 2 losses total?? As much as people have complained about Hurdle at times I think he’s done a masterful job with the bullpen thus far this season. Considering how many times he’s had to use it he’s usually pulled the right strings.

Now time to get ready for fight night in Canada tomorrow! Maybe playoff can do a line on how many misconducts will be handed out tomorrow in Ottawa.

122. Karen22 says:

OOPS! It just feels like a sweep…3 of 4 from the hottest team in baseball. I’ll take it!

123. JRay3 says:

Only you could summize that from his three inning start today…ha. Just imagine the possibilities if the rotation gets straightened out.

124. Karen22 says:

WOW! Gotta be impressed. But the bullpen needs a bullpen. 3-5 starters MUST get their act together. NICE home stand!

125. Brandie says:

Release the Kraken!

126. TJ says:

Anything good Roberto?

127. Last time I made a comment about the hockey team that plays in Pittsburgh it started a mini holy war.

I’ll just stick to the Pirates.

Twitter doesn’t count.

Only columns.

DK: Twitter counts. All social media count. Let me put it another way, though I know better than to think you’ll seriously consider anything I say: Jason Whitlock, the great columnist at Fox Sports formerly of the Kansas City Star (and a guy about 1,000 miles out of my league), likes to say this: Judge me by my columns. Enjoy my tweets.

That’s a much better way of putting it. There’s a lot of work that goes into the columns. Background, interviews, research, travel, you name it. They really aren’t on the same plane.

Hope that helps explain it better, TC.

Do we have to count the Talking Buildings?

Dejan just called.

He’s p***ed.

He reminded me that the Talking Building was voted one of his Top Five last year.

(I asked, what does that say about #6? He sent me a link.)

But that’s not why he called. He’s writing a Baseball column. He wanted my opinion.

He wanted to know…Too soon for Absolute Lock?

I sent him his link back.

131. Brandie says:

On your last post…Maybe Playoffs could open the window for wagers.

132. Karen22 says:

Right – out of town and didn’t see that game…hope he’s found HIS! :)

133. TJ says:

Where did this Travis Snider guy come from? I wonder if they reward him with food. Every base hit is an extra sausage link.

134. TJ says:

Time to get Ryan Braun a new PED supplier; he’s 5 for his last 32.

135. likeabugonarug says:

Nice call, Karen.

136. JohnH says:

Just got this reference after reading it several times

137. MadTurk says:

138. JohnH says:

Think he came from the blue jays in a trade

THANK GOD SOMEONE GETS IT !!!!!!!!!

Yes, the Bucs went 7 of 9…………….. :)

Did the sausages come from the Jays also?

141. Brandie says:

Walgreen’s may have the answer.

Scouts say he stinks.

Someone said he is ‘dripping with power’.

143. TJ says:

Thats called the sweats from eating too much. And I’m not sure NH got the sausage in the deal or not. So far it hasn’t been a large expense.

So may Dr. Feelgood. :)

I can’t wait until we play the Astros

146. TJ says:

He won’t go to Walgreens; might get caught on video. But then again he’d probably be let go because the chain of custody on the video tape involved too many people.

By the way, are we allowed to mention the unmentionable subject? I am so confused about what, when , where, why, and who may say, not say, on what day, or if I have to get a note from my Mom.

Or maybe I should just go with Braun and get me some PED’s too.
    Couldnt hurt…………

148. Brandie says:

And Mr. Brownstone.

Plan,
    I think it is safe on a Pirate game thread. But if you are unsure about a topic you want to mention, just ask yourself : Is it the same tired stuff?

If it is, then proceed with caution.

Love this from DK’s twitter feed:

Hurdle sounded displeased with Jonathan Sanchez, 74 pitches in 3 innings: “I didn’t think him staying in the game was in our best interest.”

You should have heard me.

TC,

when you think about it, most topics in most sports are the same old, in a way.

But i wont mention the unmentionable.

I will just keep whistling thru the tulips, waiting for Brandie to give me a request……………….. ;)

152. JD says:

Roberto – you’ve got to admit it is funny sometimes to see some of the pot-stirring stuff DK throws up on his twitter, them to see him get peeved when someone calls him on it.

I like his writing, but his act goes get tiresome at times. Too predictable.

8-)

Did he say “game” or “majors” or “organized baseball”?

155. Brandie says:

Here is an easy one, Plan…”The Theme To The Andy Griffith Show”! ;)

156. Brandie says:

Why not all 3?

I whistled that at work one day, and 20 people joined in.
    Those that didnt join in swayed back and forth, and were disappointed when I stopped.

Watching Sanchez pitch is like watching “Fun with Flags”.

On drugs.

Without a TV.

159. TJ says:

I kind of laughed last night at Hurdle’s comments about Pedro. He said he was thinking to himself earlier in the day why don’t we wait until April 17 to start using Pedro every year. He said he was just thinking of things to make himself laugh and came up with that. I can’t imagine if your the Pirates manager it would be hard to come up with things to make you laugh.

Honestly with Sanchez he should go; I’d rather sign Victor Zambrano. Is he a hot head yeah; but he’ll hit more HR’s this year than Travis Snider.

160. TJ says:

At least it would be entertaining while he sucked!

161. TJ says:

Its probably not even gatorade; probably a generic version Nutting finds at Sams Club.

162. The Window is not a boat rocker.
    The Window is only here for fun & games.
    The Window gets in trouble when he strays away from line postings.

163. cherokee23 says:

Anybody else notice Hurdle taking the “kid gloves” off with some of these guys this year. McDonald & Sanchez to name two. We’ll see over time if it works, but i like it. These are grown men, professionals in their field. I’m all for nurturing young players, but the kid gloves weren’t working. Pedro & his inconsistency might be the next case up

164. DK: Guys: I’m finishing up the Monday column. I’ve banned Roberto Forever from this site. I owe all of you an explanation, and I’ll give that right here as soon as I’m done.

165. cherokee23 says:

To answer DK tweet about 10-8 sustainable?……..It is what it is at this point. Playing pretty good baseball right now. They have weaknesses that in the long run may catch up with them, but there are also a few options or scenarios where these weakness could improve. Doesn’t mean they will, but I think it’s more possible now than the last couple years

Cool.

The Window is Rickey Henderson.

167. JohnH says:

Nothing like a borg to brighten your day

168. TJ says:

So Roberto is banned forever…. YIKES

169. Karen22 says:

Got lucky on this one. Barmes was the only one left who hadn’t joined the party at home.

170. JohnH says:

I do not follow this blog everyday. So I guess I missed the big explosion. I will assume that it was something along the lines of the same 12 people continually saying the same 5 things?

171. JohnH says:

I agree. I think we might have finally climbed up the hill of the roller coaster and are about to enjoy the ride of many winning seasons. The minors are starting to get some depth for trades to help the major league club. Hopefully we get to the playoffs this year. or atleast pass 82 wins with a vengence

172. DK: As I promised above, a brief explanation for Roberto Forever being the first contributor banned from this site …

As some of you will know, I’ll take a lot here, and I’ll take an overwhelming percentage of it without responding at all. Part and parcel of the job. But when it gets to the point that it’s the same individual going at it 25, 30, even 50 times a day, I’d say that’s excessive.

I tried to communicate, I answered questions in what I felt were honest and forthcoming ways, and I’d show up the next day and see 25, 30, even 50 more.

So, this is NOT a warning shot of any kind to anyone else, for the simple reason that no one else fits the above description or even comes close.

And another thing: Talk about whatever you want wherever you want on any thread. I’ll admit right here that move was a somewhat naive one on my part to limit this one person’s presence from engulfing every thread that goes up. (Even soccer!) That was a mistake on my part, and you have my apology.

173. TJ says:

Hah I had to read DK’s comment again. I thought he said banned Roberto forever. But I forgot that Roberto Forever was the name used. It seemed more dramatic when it was banned forever.

174. TJ says:

I’m happy the Pirates are winning; but call me snake bit after these past 2 years.

I’m already getting juiced up for tomorrow nights game between the Pens/Sens. Not juiced up like Ray Lewis; just getting pumped. I don’t need FBI raiding my house looking for illegal antler spray

Thanks for the explanation DK.

DK: No problem. Just filed the column.

I joked on Twitter that people will hate it, but I’m actually quite happy with it being a fair view of what the Pirates have done to date and where it might lead.

Never fun being a buzzkill, but … man, where’s the starting pitching?

DK,

Even though I have only recently become more active here, I think I speak for many here saying we all enjoy your blog…………….. the best blog in town.

I had my huge run-ins with Roberto Forever and if I contributed to anything bad or unseemly, you have my deepest apologies.

Please continue the good work.

And thank you for tolerating my awful humor and jokes. ;)

DK: I can’t stress this enough. This has no impact/effect on anyone else. Zero.

Happy to have you here!

What’d I miss ? This is what I get for spending quality time with the family.

DK: Took three of four from the Braves?

178. TJ says:

DK;

Give you credit. You do take quite a bit of crap. And considering the option that the other paper in town offers in terms of a blog I’d say you are head and shoulders above that. You didn’t owe anyone an explanation but you gave one; thats more than most would do when they have the freedom to ban or not ban someone. Thanks for all your blogs and columns. I look forward to you keeping me informed with all things Pittsburgh sports once I relocate to Charlotte in June.

180. TJ says:

DK for some reason I think when you log in you manage to screw up the sequence of comments. Its like the comments get added in after your most recent one. Notice mine posted at 8:20 after your 8:14 post.

DK: Yeah, saw that. Not sure why.

181. TJ says:

And now all comments are falling in prior to 12:59pm

Which other blog are you referring to?

183. TJ says:

If you really wanted to be a buzzkill you’d buy them a ticket to Winnipeg

No, I got that part. Part of that quality time included the game last night. By the way, there is absolutely no atmosphere at that ballpark right now. The last two years have really taken something out of this fan base. Lot of “wait & see” going on right now.

DK: Weekends are always a bit off, in fairness. Saturdays are promo crowds, and Sundays are kids. I’ve said forever, most passionate/informed crowds always Monday-Thursday.

185. TJ says:

My favorite one on that paper that starts with Post and ends with Gazette

186. TJ says:

Milo can you blame anyone? Its hard not to be snake bit. Not to mention you got a hockey team that poised for a stanley cup run. When you don’t sell out fireworks night you know the fan base is saying been there seen that

I know. Which blog over there are you referring to?

188. TJ says:

Would be great if it was like beer league softball where you could get a runner for him if he got on base. Might be the only guy slow enough to give Sid Bream a race.

The Quad Cities Post-Gazette, serving the 4 cities in Iowa and Illinois??? ;)

190. TJ says:

No love from DK tonight for me. What’s up with that?

DK: Love.

191. TJ says:

They do have a mean blog about college wrestling and corn shucking

Nope. I’m right along with them. Trying to take each game as its own separate little entity.

Who?

+4. ;)

195. Karen22 says:

Oh dear…he must have really jumped the shark! You know, a few years ago I was very involved in a baseball blog site. Things were wonderful and cozy for a long while, and many of us thought we were intimate pals; peas in a common pod. Then the personalities started showing up, and suddenly, we were all just words on a page – our cyber friends weren’t really friends at all. We couldn’t read body language or inflections in posts – we got snarky, took offense (sometimes when surely no offense was intended), got personal. We realized that we didn’t know each other AT ALL. And things got ugly.

Nice folks started bashing each other, often due to miscommunication – words on a page. It was a GREAT, informative website that, sadly, became a hostile neighborhood. It just wasn’t fun to live there anymore. Many regulars simply “left the building,” including me. I grieved that loss for quite a long while.

So I vowed I’d never get that intimately involved with a blog again. I pop in here and there with a post or two, and really enjoy the baseball/sports banter here, particularly posts flecked with wit and humor and good, knowledgeable spirit. Lunatics mostly ROCK, ya know? I plan NEVER to offend anyone here…and so, compared to that other site, I keep my distance.

But this is an awesome Blog, led by an equally awesome, fearless leader who just happens to be a favorite sports writer of mine. I hope it never becomes a hostile neighborhood, because I truly like this block and don’t feel like moving anytime soon.

Karen

DK: Thanks, Karen. I’m not anyone’s leader — even in my own house — but I appreciate the kind words about the writing.

I better stop complaining about my wife 25, 30, or even 50 times a day.

DK: Which is 25, 30 or 50 times more than you attempted to let me know you were at McKechnie, funnyman.

An overall fair response to Thunder, but kinda ruined by one throw-away, peevish line:

“though I know better than to think you’ll seriously consider anything I say”

Not just because it reminds me of teenage angst (which it does), but because moreso because i believe it is completely unfair in a debate to tell the other party what they think or, in this case, what they will or will not consider.

At least you didn’t say it 25, 30, or even 50 times.

See, you ban Roberto and the blog is broken again. Replies not working and posts showing up in random places

The blog seems to be going haywire.

But, DK I want to thank you for the explanations; regarding RF and twitter.

A couple of other points:
    1) If you would have given that explanation of twitter months ago, you would have saved everyone a lot of grief…especially you.
    2) Did you ever think that I seriously consider what you say too much?

And regarding the starting pitching, for me it is all about managing my expectations of them. When they broke camp I knew that Sanchez could struggle to get through 3 or 4 innings, Locke was going to be shaky, and JMac could continue to be Jekyll & Hyde.

DK: Yes re Twitter. Only saw Whitlock use that recently. Never would have thought to word it that way. Did I mention he’s only about a billion times better than me?

Guess I’m uninformed then.

Ahh.

I was at the game on Friday night. And it was COLD!
    And it was cold last night.

I don’t blame anyone if they didn’t go to the games.

Technically speaking, Roberto is the second person banned of which I know.

“Drunk Uncle” Walt was shown the door earlier this year.

205. Eric Bowser says:

Well this is an interesting time to come back to the blog after a great family vacation.

I’m thinking DK bans a poster for good reason (LOL) and the rest might want to vote me off the island since the Pirates are winning games since I left.

Penguins are the number one seed in the East and all I can think about is 1992-1993 because of the injuries to Crosby, Malkin, Martin, and Neal. Really hate to see a first round series against the Rangers, would love to see them fail in this last week and Winnipeg get the 8th seed.

DK – enjoyed the Sunday column, really like Iginla and Morrow for what they bring off the ice. It is something this team needed last three years. Leaders who won’t be afraid to tell Crosby, Malkin, and others to stop and get righted.

206. cherokee23 says:

Was wondering where you’ve been….hoping everything was alright!

207. JD says:

DK – even though I don’t agree with all you say, I still enjoy your stuff. You and Whitlock are 2 writers that I try to never miss. Keep up the good work.

If you are Milo get banned, then I will voluntarily leave with you.

Welcome back, just in time for the big hockey game tomorrow.

209. cherokee23 says:

210. Eric Bowser says:

Yeah, I went to Walt Disney World in Orlando for a week with the family. Had a great time but I have to figure out how to stop getting blisters on my pinky toes.

211. Eric Bowser says:

John, thanks. Yeah, can’t wait for some hockey. Watched some yesterday at mother in law’s house with screaming kids, so it wasn’t a calm environment.

212. TJ says:

Eric did you stay at one of the Resorts? We are heading back in December. Absolutely love Disney with the kids; especially at Christmas time

213. TJ says:

Ahh the teddy bear is happy now. Thunder buddies for life!

214. DemonDachshund says:

To answer the Twitter question, I’m trying to enjoy the run while it lasts. The Bucs have played really well the past two weeks, but… I still look at that lineup and see a lot of weakness. I still see a rotation that’s 2.5 deep. Yes, there are injuries, but Liriano and Morton haven’t had sustained success, and while I think Karstens is solid when healthy he’s still a #4 type guy at his peak. I still see a bullpen that has multiple people who make me cringe when they take the mound, even though those guys have had some success this year.

Much as people were saying small sample size when they started 1-5, the 10-3 in the past 13 is also small sample size.

Bottom line is, I still don’t think they’re very good, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

215. TJ says:

Eric whats the early over/under on misconducts tomorrow night?

216. cherokee23 says:

Also planning for next winter

217. Looks like I missed some excitement today.

Wondered if anyone saw that Cole threw 4 innings today, finally going more than 3. No runs, 1 hit, but 5 BB and only 2 K’s. 85 pitches, 53 strikes.

Still needs to work on that efficiency. ERA is 2.76 though.

218. Is this a ban for life or can someone apply for reinstatement after a certain period?

219. Welcome back, Eric. Want to take a ride or was that 24 hours in the car enough?

:D

220. DemonDachshund says:

And I hope this doesn’t count as saying the same old tired stuff just because I pretty much wrote the same thing last year. Not saying that I expect it because it happened last year… I expect it because I just don’t think they’re very good, just like last year I expected it because I just didn’t think they were very good.

How refreshing that they aren’t calling him up due to performance. Or is it worrisome ? Or both ? Oh well, back to Mad Men.

222. If it’s for life, you need to give Biz his winnings.

He can apply for reinstatement, but only to Bart Giamatti.

224. DemonDachshund says:

So is there any way that Cooke can pull a Dusty Baker tomorrow night and somehow prevent the inevitable cheap shot on him?

Do you just healthy scratch him?

I wondered why my wife was being so quiet downstairs.

Enjoying her Jon Hamm time.

226. TJ says:

Cherokee if your staying on property look at the Beach Club or Boardwalk. Probably the most convenient and 2 of the nicer resorts down there. And nothing like Disney at christmas the way they decorate

227. TJ says:

And submitt to random post screening

228. Eric Bowser says:

Yeah, this trip we stayed at the All-Star Sports Resort.

I don’t understand why people pay more money for a resort that they will spend very little time at since you should be there to visit the parks, not sleep all day or stay by the pool…. but that’s just me, I love the four main parks.

The New Fantasyland was alright, great for my daughter of course since she’s a huge princess fan (what girl isn’t?). We had lunch at the new “Be Our Guest” restaurant and it was good.

Once you get into the place (we had about 15 minute wait in line) and then get a “rose” to place your order, we literally had the food on the table in 2 minutes. That’s GREAT for a family, wish all the restaurants were like that.

229. TJ says:

These minor league starts early in the season are hard to figure out without actually watching them. For all we know the Pirates are having him throw nothing but fastballs or nothing but breaking stuff to work on his command of certain pitches.

230. TJ says:

I pay the extra $150-$200 a night for the beach club cause I don’t have to take a bus any where but to go to Animal Kingdom. Right out the back door off Epcot, and can walk to Hollywood Studios. Walk through Epcot and take the monorail over to Magic Kingdom.

I HATE and I mean HATE the buses at Disney.

231. cherokee23 says:

Cooke’s gotta play……he’s been thru this before and knows how to handle himself…..be a pro, have his fight, maybe 2……scratching would be wrong way to go

232. TJ says:

You cannot scratch Cooke tomorrow. Get it over with. Send him out there first shift with Macintyre, Glass, Bortuzzo and Engelland.

233. Eric Bowser says:

I’m thinking the line for game misconducts is set at 4.5 as Senators will lose their mind in the name of Karlsson and in the process put themselves on the brink of missing the playoffs.

I’m actually rooting for the Senators to try to go all “Islanders” and lose this game because it just proves the point that this stuff has no place in the sport. The owner’s actions have basically backed the team into a corner and Murray has done very little to separate his coaches and players from the rhetoric.

It is shaping up to be a repeat of what Garth Snow and Jack Capuano did a few years ago after Brent Johnson KO’d Rick DiPietro and broke his jaw.

234. cherokee23 says:

thanks, while I was there many years ago this will be first trip for my wife and 9 year old daughter

235. Eric Bowser says:

Lucky, thanks. Yeah, that ride was enough. Drove from Disney to Savannah on Thursday and then from there to home on Friday. Pittsburgh to Sharon yesterday and back home this afternoon. We’ve put in over 2300 miles in 9 days.

236. Ghost says:

DK, while you previously may not have spelled out as succinctly as Jason Whitlock did the difference between Twitter thoughts you dash out on the spur of the moment and the more considered stances you present in your columns, I, for one, understood the distinction you wanted to express all along. (This is not a spotshot at Thunder or anybody. I’m just speaking for myself.)

I was not here for whatever it was Roberto instigated today, but I couldn’t agree more that you, DK, do take an awful lot of slings and arrows and “gotcha!” baloney from the peanut gallery. Sometimes, I find the material humorous (like the exasperation with the BMTIB references and the playful banter about it that ensues). But I’ve never enjoyed the “gotcha” attempts people make, and especially the attacks on your motives or professionalism.
    Anyway, I love it here. I love the information, the insight, and especially the interaction you provide. I also love the interaction with the other lunatics. Overwhelmingly, it’s a friendly, congenial gang. So please do what you have to do to keep it this way. And a big thank you for all you do.

Clark Griswald: Roy… can I call you Roy? Have you even driven cross-country?

Roy Walley: Oh, hell yes. Drove the whole family to Florida. Worst two weeks I ever spent in my life. The smell from the back seat was terrible.

Clark Griswald: Ooooh. Ooooh, I know that smell. Roy, could you imagine if you had driven all the way to Florida and it was closed?

Roy Walley: Closed? Uh, they don’t close Florida.

238. Eric Bowser says:

That’s exactly, what I would do in this game.

I’m not a fan of fighting but the rhetoric coming out of Ottawa for two months has been nothing less than an owner sanctioning revenge. If the NHL learned anything from the Islanders handling of a sanctioned blood bath, they should warn the Senators that any premeditated attacks on Cooke or others would result in heavy fines and suspensions.

….I doubt the NHL said anything so I expect a nasty game.

239. TJ says:

I agree Eric; the comments from the Owner were so far over the line its impossible to imagine that the Senators won’t do everything in their power to get some retribution tomorrow night. The Pens are obviously preparing for it with them calling up Macintyre and from the sounds of things Letang won’t play tomorrow which opens the door for Bortuzzo to play. I would say the Pens are much more prepared for this game than they were that disgrace on Long Island.

The only way I could see this changing is if Karlsson actually suits up tomorrow night; which might be a way for the owner and GM to get out of an ugly situation.

What would Jack Edwards do ?

241. Eric Bowser says:

Oddly enough, I love those movies and yes I have driven cross-country twice (Pittsburgh to Spokane Washington in 98 and returned home in ’02, which I almost got myself killed in a blizzard in Wall, South Dakota).

242. Eric Bowser says:

I didn’t have any issues with the buses but I could see if someone did, why that might push you do an on-site resort.

243. Roberto’s “winnings” will be kept in an escrow account for the remainder of this season.
    No interest will accrue in the meantime..

244. Eric Bowser says:

I saw that idiots comments about Cooke… how does he have a job?

That apology was so full of bs, it was a joke. He said the same thing about Steve Ott a few weeks ago, so obvious the comments about Cooke were prepared.

Will he be signing autographs down the street across from this real blog?

Ray Shero angrily confronted him during the 1st intermission. That probably had something to do with it.

247. TJ says:

Eric that is exactly my comment to him on Twitter. It wasn’t a quick off the cuff response to something Cooke did. He had that in his back pocket since he found out that Cooke was nominated. Thought he would be funny and use it in a game and picked the wrong time to make such an awful comment. Not saying anytime would be a good time but you could tell that was a thought out and prepared statement he had been waiting to use.

Such a shame we consider an apology on twitter acceptable for on the air comments.

248. TJ says:

Really Milo? Where did you read that?

Mr. Molinari in the other paper.

250. TJ says:

The NHL is a reactive league not a proactive league. Nothing gets done until someone gets seriously injured despite all the evidence pointing to a potentially harmful situation.

251. TJ says:

That must have been the page I used to wipe my back side this morning

252. TJ says:

Nothing like a bomb threat at South Hills Village mall. Ya know I think all these jokers that thinks its funny to call in a false threat should get the same treatment as if they had really planted a bomb. Jag offs

253. TJ says:

Good for Ray Shero; glad to see someone got in the face of Edwards for those comments.

DK: Hey, Shero was second in that line, pal!

254. TJ says:

I’m not a patient person; and waiting for a bus only to have people show up at the last minute and try to cram on a bus is just not for me. UGH I hate those buses.

255. TJ says:

Where is Biz tonight…. Wanted to nominate Jack Edwards as part of the lunatics…. Bazinga!

256. Updated standings!!!

Congrats to tdb1977 — the new Clubhouse Leader!!

CURRENT PARTICIPANT TOTALS
    Jandy ~ -400
    stuart66 ~ -500
    JMB ~ -700
    Bizrow ~ -1000

***First Place at the end of APRIL will win:***
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES BUMPER STICKER

First Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES FITTED NEW ERA 59FIFTY HAT

Second Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) BRAND NEW PITTSBURGH PIRATES EARTH DAY GIVEAWAY HAT

Third Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PIRATES LICENSE PLATE FRAME

Fourth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH STEELERS BUMPER STICKER

Fifth Place at the end of the season will win:
    (1) PITTSBURGH PENGUINS BUMPER STICKER