Final: Devils 3, Penguins 2

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (35-11) vs. New Jersey Devils (18-18-10)

Time: 7:38 p.m.

Site: Prudential Center, Newark, N.J.

TV, radio: Root Sports, NBC Sports Network (national), WXDX-FM 105.9

Here is the official live box score.

Here is TribLIVE’s Penguins page. Josh Yohe is younger than either New Jersey netminder.

Comments

1. SJB says:

The PG reports (via whoever) that Sid has been given medical clearance to resume practice. Don’t shoot the messenger DK, just passing along the info since there’s no mention of on the Trib. ;)

2. Pucknutz says:

GO PENS !!

3. Brandie says:

I enthusiastically second your good vibes, Sir Pucknutz. I had to drive kids home today, turned on the radio and found myself screaming because the Bucks were beating the Philthies. Could the Pens and their magic be rubbing off? Hmm.

4. Pucknutz says:

Also reporting he will not play in the 2 remaining reg season games. Ist playoff game not ruled out.
    I see no need to rush. 1st playoff game would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

Sid can play on any line – it will only take him 2 -3 shifts to get back up to game speed.

5. Pucknutz says:

“Sir” don’t call me sir I ain’t no officer, I work for a living. ”
    Old army saying, I was a Sgt. not a sir. :)

Just kidding Brandie, call me what you will but I am mostly just nutz!! LOL

6. SJB says:

I’m probably in the minority on this but I was hoping he could get some regular, meaningless game action in, even if it’s small minutes to get up to speed a bit more before starting his first game in the playoffs – no matter when that game is – so he didn’t cause much disruption in the lines or drag things down as he and whoever his linemates will be try to adjust.

At this point I’d rather they play a playoff game or two without him, rather than him thrown into the mix game 1 when everyone/thing is more on edge. As weird as it sounds, adding players of his pedigree back into the mix after so long out of it doesn’t always go as smoothly as say; reintroducing Martin or Neal especially with the injury he had and having to get used to the new equipment.

I think it will take him at least a couple games minimum to get comfortable enough to be anywhere close to how he was before the injury.

DK: Sid’s practicing tomorrow, if you haven’t heard. Strong sign he’ll play Saturday.

Brandie, any requests tonight??

8. Pucknutz says:

Don’t really disagree w/ya SJB. a few minor quibbles maybe. :)

Sid is such a great player I do not see to many “adjustment” problems in the lines. Most of these guys have played w/Sid and those that have not Sid will adjust to them rather quickly. They have been mixin and matchin lines for almost the last month and done pretty well.

I certainly would like him to get some “meaningless” game action, but it ain’t gonna happen. As I said above I don’t think it will take him long to get back to game speed – allright – maybe 1 or 2 periods at most.

The PG report also mentioned that there was some “shattering” of the jaw, not a clean break. I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV and I have not seen the actual medical reports, but that leads me to believe that there is no reason to hurry him back on the ice.

And I really, really, hate to say this. Don’t want to stir up some bad juju,
    but I think this team can get through the first round without Sid.
    They have plenty of depth and Geno needs to pick up his game and be dominant as he is capable of. Throw in the way Iggy, Morrow, and Murrey have come on so strong, I am cautiously optimistic.

Gonna need Sid down the stretch, rather have him 100% healthy rather than come back too early and get hurt again.

Anyway…. GO PENS!

9. Pucknutz says:

OK, soon as I posted above I see DKs “Strong sign he’ll play Saturday”. So I will defer to DKs superior insight and say “fantastic”.
    If he is ready “happy days are here again”. :)

Not that the last month or so has been unhappy.

DK: My insights’s got nothing to do with it, actually. Here’s our news coverage:

10. MadTurk says:

Hungry Hippo

11. SJB says:

Thanks. I’ll take one game over none at this point. I hope he can work out most of the kinks quick enough.

Brandie, you changed!!!!! ;)

I looked up the Hungry Hippo song, and couldnt find one……………………..except for the Hungry Hungry Hippo game commercial.

Stumped on this one………

13. Eric Bowser says:

Based on tonight’s forward lines…
    1st: Iginla – Malkin – Bennett
    2nd: Kunitz – Jokinen – Dupuis
    3rd: Morrow – Sutter – Cooke
    4th: Glass – Adams – Kennedy

I have to think the Penguins forward lines with Crosby and Neal would be…
    1st: Kunitz – Crosby – Dupuis
    2nd: Iginla – Malkin – Neal
    3rd: Morrow – Sutter – Cooke
    4th: Glass – Jokinen – Adams

14. Brandie says:

The Ocean or Good Times / Bad Times by Led Zeppelin. The tulips love great classic rock. ;)

15. Brandie says:

Great impersonation of me, by then way.

16. Pucknutz says:

Ya Eric, I see TK sittin a good bit.

17. SJB says:

Pens playing slow, not getting to loose pucks, giving up too much room to skate and are not forechecking. Defensively they look piss poor.

18. SJB says:

Kennedy misses an open net by 40 feet, What’s new.

19. Eric Bowser says:

My preferred lines would be

Kunitz – Crosby – Dupuis
    Iginla – Malkin – Neal
    Morrow – Sutter – Bennett
    Cooke – Jokinen – Adams

Did you happen to catch the Kennedy Center Honors earlier this year?

Great Zeppelin tributes that evening by Heart, and Foo Fighters.

By the way, this is in my top 3 Zep songs………

Bennett on the top line?

22. SJB says:

Please, someone stop me before I say something negative. ;)

Jack Edwards & Mike Milbury rejoice.

24. SJB says:

Cookie! Somewhere Melnyk just had a stroke.

25. Eric Bowser says:

I missed it, put the kids to bed. what happened?

26. SJB says:

Cooke goal.

27. Eric Bowser says:

For tonight, so Iginla plays LW with Malkin and I suspect Neal will play Saturday and then who knows for Bennett.

Missed it channel surfing!

GO PENS!

29. SJB says:

Weak effort by most in that period, especially the d-men. Too much standing around watching while the puck and being caught out of position. Fleury solid or they could be down by 2 easily.

30. Brandie says:

No, unfortunately I did not. What is the third song?

31. Brandie says:

Somewhere, a village is missing it’s resident idiot.

32. Eric Bowser says:

Jokinen for Life….

2-0 Penguins… PP goal by Jussi Jokinen

33. Brandie says:

Jussi is A BEAST.

34. J Walter Weatherman says:

The old “stand around and watch them skate around you and score” defense fails the Pens.

35. Eric Bowser says:

Kennedy fails along boards to get puck chipped out and Zajac scores

2-1 Pens

36. J Walter Weatherman says:

Malkin’s timing is just not quite right. He needs to start shooting more and stop trying to make the perfect play.

On the flip side, Iginla is looking much more comfortable.

In Shero We Trust.

38. Eric Bowser says:

Malkin has been like this all season.

39. Brandie says:

Isn’t there a hymn with that title?

40. Brandie says:

I feel for him. So used to being elite. Now, just trying to force things and make perfect plays. That is not necessary. Geno, just play!

Go Tell It on the Mountain. ;)

42. J Walter Weatherman says:

He’s not just playing bad, he’s hurting the team, especially in this 3rd period.

43. Eric Bowser says:

Rangers win in OT…

Really don’t want to see Pens-Rangers matchup in first round

44. J Walter Weatherman says:

Despite the Pens players and coaches saying all the right things about working on the small things and wanting to be playing well going into the playoffs, they sure have a funny way of backing up that talk. No way am I going to hit the panic button … just the concerned button.