NFL Draft: Rounds 2-3

Looking ahead to Day 2 …

Event: NFL Draft 2013, second and third rounds

Time: 6:30 p.m.

Site: Radio City Music Hall, New York, for main event, with Steelers conducting all business from their South Side headquarters

TV, radio: ESPN, ESPN Radio

Live draft tracker: NFL.com

Steelers’ picks: No. 48 overall, No. 79 overall.

Comments

1. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Let’s do this!!

2. JWit says:

time to chat, how did steelers fit the hyphen under the cap, cuts coming?

DK: They swear money’s there. Must be right.

3. Kraig K says:

DK, your thoughts on the Steelers 2nd pick? If Lacy is there, I find it hard for them to pass him up, or Te’o for that matter.

DK: I’d be delighted if tonight were all about offense. RB and WR. La’Rod doesn’t alter that.

4. Joseph Wilk says:

Thinking the Steelers, signing a speedy third down back in LaRod Stephens-Howling, have to be targeting one of the top tier “big backs” in round two now, like Lacy, Le’Veon Bell, or Montee Ball.

DK: Magnificent call on Bell, Joe, hours before the fact!

5. Kraig K says:

Agree 100%, I think La’Rod is a good pickup for what he brings, third down player and returner. I hope we’re both right re: RB.

I can’t see them taking linebackers in round 1 and 2.

DK: Think offense.

7. The Mazoo says:

Non-Steelers question here. For the Pens: while personnel have changed a bit since earlier in the season when we strung together some losses, how would you categorize these last two games (compared to our short-term struggles in the past)? Would you say that it’s “laying back” heading in the post-season, distractions, or just straight-up “it happens” losses?

DK: TOTALLY laying back. And rightly. Zero on line. Just don’t get hurt.

Think trading up, using a pick from next year to grab Lacey ;-)

Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – at the Trib,
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka
    China – Beijing
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera), St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach Gardens, Hallandale Beach
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor
    Minnesota – Yinzer
    Mississippi – Biloxi
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills
    New Mexico – Mike
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo
    Nevada, Las Vegas
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland

Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradfordwoods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, DuBois, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, Erie, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Lebanon, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City (named after one of the Blues Brothers??), Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Phillipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond
    The Philipines
    Rhode Island
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander

334 locations represented in the blog,
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh
    First Responders***
    13 countries
    45 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 5 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, Kansas and Oklahoma
    Two planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    4/26/2013 5:34 PM

10. JWit says:

Kaboly”s all over it

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib15m
    With displacement and assuming Stephens-Howling signed for minimum ($715K), it cost #Steelers approx $235K in cap space. Now have $372 left

DK: Call him Omar Kaboly! :)

11. JWit says:

Indiana-Westfield

12. JWit says:

i think if spence is slow recovering they may burn a pick for some speed at Inside linebacker. it was a need last year, still is

13. Rech says:

Switzerland.

DK: Nice. Where in Switzerland?

Welcome to the lunatics, JWit and Rech

Post often

15. JWit says:

Mel Kiper is Earl Cannonbear

16. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I like Monte Bell better at RB than Lacey. I feel Lacey’s stock rose because of one good game he had. Granted, it was the National Championship. If it were Trent Richardson, I’d say absolutely.

To me, I’d take Ball.

17. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I didn’t see this signing….very much likey

18. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Looks like Aaron Rodgers is the next $100 million dollar player. Congrats to him, from 45 minutes north of me.

I’m hoping that Lattimore gets picked by the Stillers, a good story, and sounds like a good fellow to boot.

Look what A Peterson did after ACL surgery, if anyone is coming back its that kid

And again, I hope they get Ray Graham either with a pick or as an unsigned guy

Lots of things in life are achievable by people with character

20. TonyD says:

Kentucky – Georgetown

21. JWit says:

bill polian just skewered some LSU player for failed drug tests, tyrann mathieu, said they would take him off board when he was GM.

22. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Jon Gruden’s favorite player. He is/was awesome, didn’t play this year due to suspension.

Welcome Tony D

24. JWit says:

Polian is obviously old school, won’t play that game.

25. JWit says:

what makes a grown man, in NY, within range of the nfl network cameras, by himself, chant eagles suck, eagles suck after the pick?? perspective anybody? its freaking draft day, not a playoff game.

DK: And booing the alumni announcing picks. Unreal.

26. JWit says:

if its the NFL network, funded by the league to promote its product, why do they have commercials? viewership would triple espn’s if they eliminated commercials during coverage. #advertisingruinseverything

27. JWit says:

like school in july, no class

28. JWit says:

not to go all stiegerwald on you, but i got good money he’s six beers in and wearing a game jersey

29. pattonbb says:

Biz, I’ve watched Lattimore play since he was in middle school. He grew up a couple miles down the road from us. He’s a great kid. He was always a popular guy because of football. All of the kids around here looked up to him. When he was in high school, being recruited by every major school in the country, he’d show up to pee-wee league games and root on the neighborhood children.

Whether or not Marcus ever plays football again, he’s going to do something special with his life. I’ll guarantee that.

30. Eric Bowser says:

I think it is hilarious that Jason LaCanfora is tweeting the picks WAY before they are shown on tv.

If NFL and ESPN don’t like it, then compete with new age media and speed up the announcements.

31. Eric Bowser says:

Manti Te’o goes to Chargers

Gino Smith to J-E-T-S

32. JWit says:

Jets fans in attendance not exactly the physics faculty from NYU

33. Eric Bowser says:

Wayne Chrebet didn’t exactly look all together…. #Concussions

34. JWit says:

totally agree

35. JWit says:

looked a little stiff, nerves maybe?

Yeah, I noticed that too

Wish well for the fellow

Colbert made a good, safe pick last night.

Now time to get value at positions of need…………….. WR, RB, S.

If they start reaching to get an ILB, or TE, that wouldnt be too good.

Lacy would be an excellent pick in the 2nd round if available.

38. Eric Bowser says:

I think they need a RB, just not sold on Lacy as the answer. I’d rather see them go for UCLA’s Johnathan Franklin.

39. BillyBaduka says:

Agreed. I think they should focus on RB WR.

Lacy in 2nd sounds good.

Any decent RB in the second round is good. No reaches.
    I wouldnt mind seeing a S or WR either.

41. JWit says:

Sapp? nice suit for a bankrupt guy, huh

42. Eric Bowser says:

I’d prefer RB, WR or TE… not sure value is there any longer at TE, so gotta be RB or WR.

Someone they like will as it were, drop into their laps

Getting close, Lacy is there, I think, but might not be, more typing than watching

RB or a Safety?

RB

46. Eric Bowser says:

Steelers drafting Ja’Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State

47. tcb says:

He is still there. I might look safety or wr with rb 3rd

48. Dom says:

Eddie lacy!!!!

He is available, so it seems, Stillers choose wisely, I trust that management team

50. pattonbb says:

I like that pick. A lot.

They took Lavian Bell, RB

Like I said, I trust that FO

52. Dom says:

Why did they pass on lacy? Bell is awfully slow.

53. JWit says:

later all, thanks for chat

If he is from Michigan State, my wonderful daughter in law will be ticked

55. JMB says:

Time will tell, but I’d have preferred Lacy.

56. pattonbb says:

rumors out of Tuscaloosa are flying that Lacy has some medical issue.

57. Brandie says:

This man will never have an important moment in his life. Just call this a “Hey, Look at me!” Moment.

With the selection of Bell, it may be that teams are viewing Lacy as a product of Alabama’s system, and O-Line.

Bell is slow, but so was Bettis.
    Bell has great hands.

I like the pick.

59. Dom says:

Personally I might have preferred Keenan Allen even though it would leave a huge hole at running back.

I don’t know enough to pass judgment, or even an opinion, but this comment concerns me:

” Bell is a thumper in the running game, but tends to do a little more dancing at the line of scrimmage than a large back should.”

Sounds like Rashard.

61. Dom says:

I think the Bengals have the best draft so far.

62. TJ says:

I might have to say Minnesota has had the best draft

63. TJ says:

Got to laugh when someone says he has tremendous “ball skills”.

64. TJ says:

Bell can actually catch the ball and block as well

People used to say that about Franco. Seriously.

Can he run? I watched Mich St last year when the, you know, “A” League didn’t have a game on. But I don’t remember him. That says nothing about his skill and everything about my memory.

66. Dom says:

Rashard hits the holes much faster than Bell.

67. Boise Bucco says:

I was out for the La’Veon Bell signing, and I said WTF probably like everybody else. But then I remembered to trust in Colbert and everything would be ok.

Only game I saw of Bell’s is when he stomped all over Boise State at the beginning of the season last year. Now I know that Boise State isn’t exactly Alabama, but they’re not nothing. And Bell really had his way with them in the 4th quarter. Lots of unhappy people around here that day.

68. Boise Bucco says:

And considering its right around pick 60 right now, maybe some other teams got the same bad word about Lacy. If the very next team after the Steelers had drafted him I might have thought something was up.

69. Dom says:

Keenan Allen just has to fall 14 more spots!

70. BillyBaduka says:

Getting close to another pick!

I say WR or S in this round.

Not too many receivers taken so far.

I did think of Franco. But I also thought of Rashard. If he’s like the former, great.
    Just curious, did they say that about Franco while he was at Penn State, or was that something that came later in his career with he Steelers? (genuine question– gotta be careful if you know what I mean)

74. Dom says:

I’m worried they might take a NT such as Jesse Williams and John Jenkins.

That would be awful……..

76. TJ says:

Why don’t I believe the emotion of Mathieu? Kid has been given chance after chance. He just said 7 months I had everything taken away from me; No Mathieu you GAVE IT UP. And he got busted AGAIN after he got kicked off the team.

I just don’t get why ESPN is glorifying this kid. Totally ridiculous.

77. TJ says:

I’d almost rather watch Jonathan Sanchez toss HR pitches than listen to this kid any more.

78. TJ says:

Why hasn’t Keenan Allen been picked yet?

79. Kevin says:

4 picks to fall :O..

80. Dom says:

I guess they’re worried about his health history but some had him going in the first round.

81. TJ says:

2nd round at the latest. Could be a nice pick in the third. We seem to have luck picking WR’s in the 3rd

Allan picked #76 by Ch
    argers

83. Dom says:

So close!

84. TJ says:

wow comparing Allen to Reggie Wayne. Steelers must have someone in mind. Matt Barkley!

85. Dom says:

I’m guessing they’ll go Phillip Thomas safety of Quinton Patton WR

86. Kevin says:

who we gonna pick, teddy?

87. TJ says:

I’m going to guess John Jenkins DT from Georgia

Markus Wheaton, Oregon State. WR

89. TJ says:

Marcus Wheaton? Top end speed; sounds like a Wallace replacement

90. Dom says:

I can live with Wheaton. Good pick

I dont know much about him, but I have seen some good reports for him.
    In Colbert We Trust.

Well, off to the Pirate thread.

Good picks so far.

Good night, guys and gals.

DK: Night!

93. BillyBaduka says:

Wheaton ran a 4.45 40. not close to Wallace speed. Wheaton’s not slow by any means but Wallace is sub 4.3.

I think Goodwin, taken 1 pick before Wheaton, is more like Wallace. 4.29, raw route runner, mostly vertical routes.

Wheaton seems like a good pick. Seems like good character from what I’ve read. Even though WR a big need, I would not have been upset with Jenkins in 3rd.

94. JAV827 says: