NFL Draft: Rounds 4-7

Looking ahead to Day 3 …

Event: NFL Draft 2013, fourth through seventh rounds

Time: Noon

Site: Radio City Music Hall, New York, for main event, with Steelers conducting all business from their South Side headquarters

TV, radio: NFL Network, ESPN Radio

Live draft tracker: NFL.com

Steelers’ picks: 115, 150, 186, 206 (compensatory), 223

Comments

1. Ghost says:

Me want safety.

DK: Tons of DB depth left. Wouldn’t be surprised to see safety AND a CB today.

I wouldnt be surprised to see a DL today in these lower rounds.
    But S, and CB are more pressing needs.

Colbert did well on Day 1, he needs to find gems on Day 2.

Did he do well? I have no earthly idea.

Colbert certainly checked the box on some need positions. Were they also anywhere close to best available player? Maybe Jones. That was a beautiful pick, I thought because I thought that he was both a top 10-12 talent as well as a glaring need.

No idea with the other guys.

I’m not a fan of need-over-talent drafting. Over time, that’s how you become the Browns.

But as I said, I have no idea with the other guys and I am not assuming failure. Just saying that box-checking, by itself, does not meet the Plan-like criteria of gem-finding.

In fact, one could propose that it is the strategic opposite.

Or to put it in Ghostly simplicity, me want best.

How bout that Chase Headley?

Rene Gayo?

Anyone?

5. Dom says:

The next guy I want to fall to us is shamarko thomas! Safety from Syracuse.

6. Dcpinpgh says:

On Gorman’s story about drug use is football. If he was doing so many drugs. How did he keep passing the drug tests at Pitt? What ever happened at Pitt, I am sure is happening at other schools. How do pro teams weigh this. It would seem like the red flag isn’t the drug use, but being so dumb, you get caught.

7. JMB says:

Exactly.

I have much more faith In Colbert, but time will tell.

The current picks dont really excite me, but what do I know.

I’ll be comparing Lacy to Bell and Jones to the other pass-rushers.

As long as the team has a franchise QB, we need to be all in every single year.

The twenty years between Bradshaw and Ben is a major reminder of how quickly it can all be over at the QB spot.

I think now they will start picking the best athelete available.

Regarding Lacy, well he dropped to Green Bay, so several other teams passed on him and chose other RBs

1) We’ve been over that. No need to revisit. Just move along.

2) Please. Do Not. Poke the bear!

10. Any news on Jonathan Sanchez?

11. Dom says:

I’d expect them to draft one, maybe two safeties, a CB, a QB, and probably another WR.

They also could go with ILB, OT, DE, and a NT.

Usually in these rounds you want to nab the best available rather than to fill a position of need but since we’re in dire need of depth at safety, it’s hard to imagine that will not not be addressed.

This would have to be one of the best drafts to obtain a backup QB. We could really obtain someone like Matt Scott, Landry Jones, Sean Renfree, Zac Dysert, or Jeff Tuel in the later rounds.

Unless he is eligible for the NFL Draft (see heading of the blog post above) I am not authorized to discuss his situation.

But after last his performance last night on the mound he may want to look at a different career. NFL….hey, why not.

13. TJ says:

My prediction for todays draft will be as follows:

TE, S, CB, and WR

And 13 Pirate batters will be hit before the Steelers make their final selection with no Cardinal pitcher being tossed.

There are some QB names out there still, do they take one in the 4th?

15. TJ says:

If they do I’d take Nassib over Barkley

Only Alabama and LSU have had more players taken in the first 75 picks than Wisconsin in the last 3 years.

Paul Chryst was on that Wisconsin staff for 2 out of those 3 years.

I’m a Bear Poker, By Thunder

Am I allowed to say on this thread that since AJ is pitching, he may flatten someone?

No? Ok.

nevermind

Maybe he can punt?

the cynic might write:

So they had great players but played mostly well.

(And then ask…)

Does that partial-disconnect reflect on the Wisconsin players, the NFL talent evaluators or the Wisconsin coaches?

But I am not a cynic. (Well ok. A little bit.). But I also get that it’s an unfair question.

21. pattonbb says:

Steelers trying to trade Dwyer, according to nfl network.

Anyone know if PRNW has been put on the DL?

Maybe he tapped his helmet and asked to be taken out.

Seriously, though, that surprises me.

24. Is his back acting up or did he get hurt last night or what?

25. Fellow lunatics,
    The Window has a billion errands to run and most likely won’t be back in front of a PC until well after the start of today’s Bucs game.
    So I went ahead and posted today’s line in last night’s game thread.
    Just need a kind soul to re-post it in today’s thread once it comes on-line.
    Sorry to hi-jack this NFL thread, just wanted to give everyone who plays a head’s up.
    Promise it won’t happen again.
    THANKS.

26. They need to punt him. Can a player be fined if they aren’t on a ML roster any more?

27. Not if they pre-warn both benches. We need him to pitch. Vengeance is mine, I will repay, saith the commissioner.

He gashed his hand breaking up a double play, can’t throw for a week at least

29. Mercy. Fell asleep and missed the entire game last night, after the 1st inning. Glad I did. Needed the rest more than a 9-1 drubbing.

I can’t say I expected it, but reading that, I also can’t say I’m terribly surprised.

- Drafted Bell and signed Hyphen
    - LOTS of needs.

Another 7th rounder could turn into a dime back, which might be more useful than a RB who won’t see much time. Especially in a pass happy league where often teams play multiple DBs.

Deep in the draft is also a place that a team can find a blocking TE. Or a young QB to be a long term backup, as they had hoped Dixon would be.

31. JRay3 says:

Rough night for the Bucs…Walker out a minimum of a week and could get placed on 15 day DL, Sanchez taxes the bullpen once again, management has to make a statement and release him.

Cutch angered by getting pulled, still not sure you remove your franchise player.

Need AJ to deliver today, not the time to hit a bump in the road with still five consecutive division games ahead of us.

I forgot about signing hyphen. Good point.

I also suspect it will be a long shot to get a trading partner.

- Other teams probably guess that the Steelers will release him
    - And while there would probably be interest in signing him as a FA, I would guess that other teams would not think he’s good enough to give up a pick.

Notice I didn’t write “even a seventh rounder”. I’m not a big fan of that sentiment. When the draft was 14 (or longer) rounds, seven was considered a middle round pick.

I remember reading a column in a Pittsbugh paper YEARS ago when I think the draft was 12 rounds. The columnist made the point that while stars are found in the TOP rounds of one through FOUR, teams are built and rosters filled by the MIDDLE rounds of 5-8.

I’m not saying he’s right. I’m just saying we have a tendency to devalue whatEVER round is last. No matter how early last becomes in the latest CBA.

Length matters.

This would be a GREAT time for AJ to go eight (innings).

36. Eric Bowser says:

USC QB Matt Barkley goes from sure fire first round pick in 2012 to 4th round pick in 2013. Eagles get great value, imo, with that selection.

37. Jason81 says:

Good quarterback, wrong system. Not much of a threat to run in Chip Kelly’s system, which you would think would be a requirement based on how Kelly ran his system at Oregon.

38. Eric Bowser says:

He’s not going to run that system in the NFL is he?

Maybe more hurry-up like Jim Kelly ran with the Buffalo Bills

If he is going to put on the DL Biz, they won’t announce it until his replacement is in the clubhouse.

40. Dom says:

I think we will grab either ShamarkoThomas or Jesse Williams nose tackle.

Good point

42. MadTurk says:

What no Tino?

43. Dom says:

I can’t understand why Jacksonville would trade that pick. It’s not like they couldn’t use a quarterback.

44. Eric Bowser says:

Gotta think Browns draft Ryan Nassib at 111

45. Jason81 says:

From what I have seen and read, Kelly’s initial plan was to run the same system or something very similar to what he ran at Oregon, especially the pace they ran plays at. Too bad he doesn’t have 2004 Michael Vick running it instead of 2013 Vick.

46. Dom says:

Looks like we traded up I think it will be Thomas.

47. Eric Bowser says:

whoa, Giants take Nassib…

now Steelers trade up to 111

48. Eric Bowser says:

Steelers trade up to 111 to get Syracuse S Shamarko Thomas

49. Dom says:

Yep that’s what they did. Good move.

DK: Sometimes teams just say they valued a guy higher than where they were picking. This sort of act proves it.

50. Eric Bowser says:

I like the move and they still have their 4th rd pick this year

Dejan just tweeted, we traded the third round pick for next year

Not bad, you know we will get some decent comp picks next year.

DK: Exactly. Wallace and Lewis will be third-round comps.

We traded with Cleveland??

53. Eric Bowser says:

I love the deal since they should be a compensatory 3rd in ’14 and pick addresses a huge hole behind Clark and Polamalu.

DK: I don’t know. 5-8 for a safety? Need to learn more.

54. TJ says:

I was a little shocked by it myself. And we are on the clock now

55. Dom says:

We dealt our 3rd round pick in next year’s draft but we could get an third for losing Wallace. We’re on the clock again and I think it will be Williams or poyer

57. TJ says:

Agree Eric; I was afraid they gave up picks this year to move up but to get 111 and still have 115 for a pick next year is a good move because of that comp pick we will end up with

58. Eric Bowser says:

WOW, Steelers draft Oklahoma QB Landry Jones

59. TJ says:

Did not see that coming

60. Dom says:

Landry Jones QB

A QB, hmmm

62. TJ says:

Bye Bye Charlie

Charlie . . . or Byron?

64. Eric Bowser says:

I would have preferred Steelers picked ILB, DT, or CB with the 4th round pick as I think Landry Jones is going to be no different than many other QBs still on the board over the next few rounds.

65. Dom says:

Both. Don’t forget WE signed Gradkowski

66. TJ says:

I agree Eric; not sure why they reached for a #3 QB already when they have more pressing needs and passed on players that could have contributed this year not someone who might contribute in 3 years

67. TJ says:

I figured it was a given that Byron wasn’t going to be back; Batch just keeps coming back. Hang them up and become a coach Charlie

68. Dom says:

I agree some of the guys left could have gone much earlier and we have numerous holes to fill besides backup Qb

Ah, yes.

70. Amen on both counts.

I thought he was talking about golfing.

72. Dom says:

He’s closer to 5-9

73. Woomer says:

I just read the write-up on NFL.com about Jones, and he sounds like a real head case who gets flustered and confused easily, and then just falls apart. That doesn’t sound like a good trait for an NFL quarterback.

74. Eric Bowser says:

I’m surprised Alabama DT Jesse Williams wasn’t picked there… wonder why he has slipped.

75. I think his replacement is in the clubhouse, named Inge. But on the active roster, they have to go with Mercer. He’s still hitting well in Indy.

76. Sounds like about half of ‘em.

77. Dom says:

Anyone know? Fox sports has him ranked in the top 30.

Five Eight and Seven-Ninths

So the Steelers are Keeping Up With The Jones.

If the theory is get yourself a younger, long term Batch to back up Ben for the next 3-4 years, at rookie 4th round cost, I think that’s a smart value pick.

If the guy is any good.

I’ve seen him play. I think he’s good. Obviously not great or he’d go early. But I get it.

And not every pick has to be just for this year.

80. cherokee23 says:

Good call!

I didn’t express that well.

…a reasonably long term backup QB at 4th round rookie pricing takes financial pressure off for the next 3-4 years. Backup QB at half price (or less) leaves more $ under a salary cap for other needs.

THAT’S what I get.

Ditto and ditto. I like this move from both a talent and compensation perspective.

83. Ghost says:

Couldn’t be happier with the Thomas pick. Mark my words guys, Thomas will be a better safety than the guy everyone thought we were to spend our #1 pick on, Vaccaro. Thomas won’t start immediately, but the Steeler secondary just got faster, younger, and won’t flounder now when Troy or Ryan are not in there.

84. Dom says:

I now think they’ll nab Jordan Poyer, a corner from Oregon and hopefully they will.

85. Ghost says:

Poyer is from Oregon State, but the Steelers went with Hawthorne out of Illinois anyway. Hawthorne seems to be the quicker of the two, so I’m satisfied. It’s a passing league and I’m delighted that the Steelers are now targeting fast DB’s. Speaking of Oregon State, however, John Boyett the safety is still out there. I think he’d be a good final round pick or day-after undrafted signee. He has slipped only because of he’s patella cap surgeries (both knees) and has a huge upside with little risk at this point in the draft. Not unlike the 49′s taking Lattimore out of South Carolina.

86. Dom says:

Looks like Hawthorne could be a solid special teams player too. I’m satisfied.

87. Ghost says:

I was kinda wondering if Landry Jones might have been named after Tom Landry. According to Wikipedia, he was. Oh well. Nobody’s perfect. On the other hand, Jones was drafted by the Steelers to be a room freshener (to “freshen up the room”) according to Randy Fichtner. Poor Charlie Batch must be sniffing his collar right now.

88. Kevin says:

steelers still competed in some if not most of those years in between… well.. especially the 90′s.

89. Kevin says:

Can someone explain to me what Cleveland did? Seems like they’re giving away their picks this year.

90. Ghost says:

Was wondering about that too. Maybe with a new regime in place they A) want more time to see exactly what it is they already have, and B) are willing to trade some of this year’s picks for more picks next year when they have a better idea of what they have and more time to prepare for the draft. This is just wild guessing on my part, but probably not a bad idea for a team where the future is clearly *not* now.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle