Thanks for watching ‘The Final Word’

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

‘The Final Word’ debuted last night on WPXI-TV, and the embedded video is down below.

Thanks to all who tuned in last night. The overnight rating in the 25-54 demographic — the one universally coveted by advertisers — won its time slot across the board in Pittsburgh. And, with all due respect to our seniors, if you’re building a show off social media with a live Twitter feed, you’re not targeting the 55-up bracket. (Though all are welcome!)

We have work to do, and we welcome any and all praise/criticism, whatever helps us get better. We’ve already talked out a few things ourselves. This was put together very quickly through the commendable effort of people at WPXI and the Trib — not me, I just watched and ate nachos — and they’re dedicated to having this program become a success.

One more time: Thank you!

Here’s the show in segments …

Comments

1. max says:

It appears u really got under Vukovcan’s skin!

2. DrewF says:

Enjoyed the show and I like the idea. Suggestion: Have the tweets and facebook comments at the bottom of the screen. (I know it’s nice to include the persons avatar, etc.) The shrunken and tilted-at-a-45 degree-angle shot of the speakers was kinda annoying. Tweets dont need that much screen space. You read em and are done with em. The viewer wants to be able to clearly see (and pay attention to) who is speaking.

Maybe be a little more particular in choosing viewer videos. Pittsburgh Dad is lame and the other one wasn’t memorable. They arent mandatory, are they? I’d rather use that portion of the 25 minutes to hear the reporters than tolerate a Yinzer (or yinzer parody) you feel obligated to air that is neither entertaining or insightful.

Krenn was OK, but again.. I, personally, would have preferred more reporters. It was a big weekend (draft, playoffs starting, Pirates playing well). Yeah, the Krenn segment talked about sports, but it was more about Krenn. Can’t find a person who is entertaining as well as knowledgeable in sports?

I know is sounds like I didnt like the show, but I did… very much so. I love the promise of the idea, and I am excited to watch it develop as the edges are smoothed out and adjustments are made.

The ONE thing that I do enjoy about the Sports Showdown is when they guys get into (respectful) arguments. Don’t force it, but don’t be afraid to disagree passionately. I would hate the show to be a love-in where nobody disagrees or holds a strong opinion.

DK: I do believe you’ll see more of that in the very next episode. Your points are much, much appreciated and welcome.

OK, I watched it.

Nobody with a fashion review?

My three fashion stars:

1. Rossi. Best dressed and very sharp looking.
    2. Walsh. Very professional.
    3. Dejan. I liked your views and thoughts on sports.

Seriously, though, enjoyed it. Sort of a televised Thursday chat.

5. Bobbo says:

Watched it DK – interesting concept, here’s my not asked for opinion.

Obviously things like this take time to work out, and I’m sure everyone will. Alby is a pro, he’ll do very well at this. I think the show is grasping at too much right off the bat. To quote a not so liked sports personality in town, the talent makes a show, not the callers. Same is true here. I often can’t listen to the Fan because I’m not hearing informed hosts, I’m hearing Joe from Millvale talk about the Steelers backup QB. I like the social media aspect but what will keep my attention is good debate – not from Yinzers, but from guys like you.

Also, question from pure curiosity. What goes in to the decision to show 3 panelists on different cameras who are actually standing in the same studio together? Why not a roundtable? Obviously The Final Word isn’t the only show to do this, just curious from a TV perspective as to why this is done.

I’m sure this venture will get better in time, but personally I like to hear more personalities and less Yinzer ramblin’. DEFINITELY less Pittsburgh Dad.

DK: Appreciate the constructive criticism more than anything, Bob. Thanks!

6. Jag7 says:

I watched it b/c I can’t take any more of mentally deficient Filliponi (“they should play Fleury 3 games, then Vokuon 1 game in the playoffs b/c that’s what worked in the regular season”) and Sanctimonius Cook on the other show. I think 3 panelists is 1 too many. The comments were too rushed, and obviously you have to pick between reading the scrolling tweets and listening to the panelists. Found the scrolling comments to be distracting. But as long as DK, Rossi, or Starkey are on, I will continue to watch.

DK: Appreciate your watching!

C’mon, be fair. Yes, DK was the only “personality” on the show who didn’t have a tie on (even though Rossi was also on). But he DID have a white dress shirt on rather than a T-Shirt with Dead Kennedys on it, and the sports coat looked like it came from Men’s Warehouse instead of the Thrift Shop (not that there’s anything wrong with thrift shops). Looked kind of dapper considering, other than the no tie thingee.

I stand corrected. Jimmy Krenn also did not have a tie on. Just as an aside, the segment with Krenn didn’t work at all for me. The videos from the guys at home were more entertaining, but I’m outside the target demographic.

I liked the Mattress World commercial.

DK: It was excellent.

I fell asleep with the tv on. Woke up and DK was on the screen. I thought it was a bad dream and he was yelling “If you have a problem with me” at me. But then I realized I was awake and he was talking about Jeff Locke.

Sorry….I couldn’t stay awake, had to turn it off. I’ll try the videos later.

DK: Even though you hate me, that is VERY funny.

What do us old farts know? :P

12. Brotherhood of the Redus says:

Smoke and mirrors Richie? Come on baby…they are following Terry Tate’s office rule that if you finsh the joe, you make some mo’. Cutch is slumping, next in line. Martin, Jones and even Alvarez to an extent (who had he not been robbed by one of the Uptons would have homered in 5 straight). Starters hurt…bring on the sanchez and Locke experiments. So far you’ve learned that Locke is listening to what he’s being told and Sanchez is simply not consistent no matter how great his stuff is…I don’t agree that it’s smoke and mirrors, however you guys are all dead on that they need to get starters deeper into this thing. Perhaps part of reaching to the bullpen early and often, even when a starter has something left, is so you don’t end up short on starting pitching come August and September???? A taxed bullpen can be rebuilt or rested rather creatively.

Also Walsh seemed like he was doing a lead in every time he wrapped up a point (was waiting for the under mixed audio of the video segment to break in like it does in his sports report)…but yes he is a pro for sure…Ox is great, that guy could transition from the pope to springbreak to Jay Caufield eating an entire pizza at Domenico’s without missing a beat.

Is Krenn a regular? If he is someone else breaking up the softballs Ox is tossing him might be nice…with just those two you expect the comedian to spike everything he’s given and that will get old fast when the topics can’t simply be “how bout’ them bucs (stillers) (pens)”.

Please don’t filter the show too much…sunday night after a penguins playoff game or a steelers game will be fantastic (not a pun). Segments on tailgating disasters, completely incomprehensible tweets, misguided fandom…anything that you can make fun of do it.

13. Scott says:

As others have mentioned, I believe this entire show is built around a flawed premise – the idea that we as fans want to participate in a show like this.

We want to hear from informed hosts who know what they’re talking about and have the time to explain their opinions in depth – not other fans whose sports knowledge is questionable and who can only express themselves in 140 characters.

I appreciate the efforts to think outside the box, and maybe keeping the tweets in a small box at the bottom of the screen wouldn’t be so bad, but I’d rather see you do exactly what KDKA does, only with better panelists (which you already have.)

DK: Appreciate the criticism (and the sentiment!)

Actually, this wasn’t bad for a first effort.

A little crowded, but those things can be tweaked.

Jim Krenn should stick to standup, but I understand why he is on the show.

I too liked the Mattress World commercial. Wonder why?? ;)

DK: The Mattress World commercial was, at the risk of repeating myself, excellent.

15. Daquido_Bazzini says:

DK – I wasn’t able participate live last night, but I will.

Love the idea and format!

DK: Thanks, Daq.