Final: Pirates 4, Mariners 1

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (17-14) vs. Seattle Mariners (15-18)

Starters: RHP Jeanmar Gomez vs. RHP Aaron Harang

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

Radio: 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Michael McKenry, C
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Jordy Mercer, 2B
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Gomez, RHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Beat writer Rob Biertempfel is on the scene.

UPDATE 4:56 p.m.: The Pirates just made a couple roster/lineup moves. James McDonald, tonight’s scheduled starter, went on the 15-day DL for shoulder discomfort. Gomez replaces. Russell Martin was scratched because of neck discomfort. McKenry replaces.

Comments

1. JaxBuc says:

I’ll take the OVER, or maybe the DOUBLE ODDS, oh man, I don’t know what to think. They’re playing the MARINERS???

2. JaxBuc says:

Off work this afternoon to go watch my son play in the all-conference ballgame as his school’s representative. Currently 73° and mostly sunny. Guess I’ll miss tonight’s wager, but it will be worth it.

Go Bucs!

Go Pens!

(Have they fired Bylsma yet?)

3. Should know Aaron Harang if they know anyone.

And James McDonald is pitching. Something has not been right with him since last July. Either he has an injury, or he’s just mentally fragile. Either way, this cannot go on much longer. Surely, he has reached the end of his rope by now.

I could be wrong, but for some reason I have a recollection of them being dominated historically by Harang. Of course, that was the Pirates of a few years ago vs. the Aaron Harang of a few years ago.

Congrats! What year is he, and what position?

7. Brandie says:

Agreed. He needs to get his act together.

8. JaxBuc says:

Just middle school (8th grade), pitcher/1B.

9. These aren’t your father’s Pirates or his Aaron Harang either. Hopefully.

8-)

Remember when Travis Snider was an up and coming Blue Jay, with 30+ HR potential? He was crushing them in AAA last year when the Bucs traded for him. Does he look remotely like a guy with even average power to anyone now? Some sort of strange transformation has overtaken that guy. His batting average is higher, but you can’t have platoon corner OF’ers who never hit HRs.

11. Brandie says:

Bucs could use him.

Thanks, Milo. This current group of Bucs certainly hits for good avg. and OBP vs. him. I like seeing that.

13. Russell Martin enjoys him. And a .293 overall average is good.

Can he skip that game? I have a feeling we may need a reliever early tonight.

15. radio wave says:

Has Seattle ever played here before?
    With Jmac on a continual rollercoaster career, it’s time for an uptick tonight.

Tomorrow should be quite interesting.

Is it too early in the season to worry whether or not the Bucs will be able to sign AJ after this year?

I thought I read we played them once and they swept us at PNC. That was during those years when even if we were playing halfway decent heading into inter-league play, we immediately fell apart and lost 3/4 of the games. If JMac gives us anything decent tonight, I think we can sweep this edition of Seattle.

Harang could be my father.

18. pattonbb says:

Can’t see them beating King Felix tomorrow. He’ll probably have a dozen strike outs.

Keep you fingers crossed that good JMac shows up and we split the 2 games.

19. He’s that old or you’re that young?

;)

20. Nate83 says:

He has hit for 2B in bunches. I personally think HR’s are overrated. If you are hitting doubles or moving guys from 1st to 3rd with singles in the gap I will take it. When healthy Walker and Martin our plus HR guys at their positions so I think it is sustainable. Jones and Gaby are both are capable of hitting HR’s as well.

I feel the same about Marte. If he levels off to a 15-20 HR guy I’m OK with that because a lot of his singles turn into doubles when he steals the base. Plus the guy could easily get 10-15 triples a year as well.

Is this game televised on Root or MLB Network?

DK has Root listed for both the Pirates and the Pens.

22. Nate83 says:

Hopefully they can work some counts and get to the bullpen in the 7th. AJ hasn’t been to shabby himself so maybe he can keep it a pitchers duel until we get to the bullpen.

Radio only.

24. Patrick says:

Anybody that Boos Jason Bay tonight should be kicked in the junk, pepper sprayed and sent to Philadelphia

25. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

-Thank goodness for the Pirates thread, all the Pens stuff gives me a headache. Not that the all the “BMTIB” crap doesn’t get to me either, I just understand it much better.

Travis Snider finally realized after three failed attempts at the big league level that AAA stats, and approach, was getting him nowhere.

He has changed his swing and hitting approach drastically since joining the Bucs.

Since coming over last year, Snider is making contact with about 5% more pitches and swinging at about 8% less. This has translated into a descreased strikeout rate while drawing more walks.

He’s also increased his ground ball rate and decreased his fly ball rate by about 10% each.

These are big changes in MLB terms. He may never be the prototypical right fielder, but there are an awful lot of teams out there, certainly Pirates included, that can use a guy that can hit the gaps and get on base at a .350 clip.

Didn’t realize KF was facing us tomorrow. AJ will need to be at his best. That one could come down to a battle of the bullpens, and I like our chances if that happens.

28. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Agreed.

I pray that the telecast isn’t “Nevrett only”

Then, again, Marte will probably take him deep. He seems to have a flair for that vs. some of the best pitchers in the league.

You’re right.

He gets enough of that from his own fans.

32. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

MLB Network? Ha Ha Ha

Neither team is associate with New York

33. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

He makes Greg Brown tolerable…

I don’t see anyone booing Jason Bay. He pretty much gave the Bucs his best, and never said anything bad that I remember after the trade. He’s a solid guy, and I think everyone remembers that.

I like Greg Brown a lot. I know he can get overly excited at times, but when he calls the game I feel that at least I know what is going on in the game. Much more than Nevrett…who I don’t hate.

I live in Chicago area, and get MLB Network. After taking a sampling of the local announcers throughout all of MLB, I’d personally put ours in the Bucco booth at least in the middle. Ever try listening to the Brennaman boys in Cincinnati if you are not a Joey Votto or Brandon Phillips fan? Talk about nauseating. There are some gems out there. To each his own.

37. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

That’s funny, but seriously though, he didn’t nothing but good things in Pittsburgh. Now if I were a Boston fan, I’d probably boo. Take the money and run….

38. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

My grammar amazes me at times……..

I watched the Dodgers last night, and listened to Vin Scully. I know everyone doesn’t like him, and I didn’t while I was growing up. But, he is 64 years into his job with the Dodgers now, he’s 85, he does all 9 innings by himself, and he sounds the same as he did 25 years ago. I watched about 5 innings last night, and he never stumbled over a single word. No pauses, just rolled smoothly along. 85 years old. Pretty amazing!

Yeah, I miss the bare spot he wore out of the left field grass from standing in the same spot for every single batter.

41. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Thom is terrible, I remember when he was with the Cubs.

No, I understand.

Honestly, though, I can’t remember a single player outside of Aramis Ramirez getting booed after being traded.

I think Pirate fans know who to boo.

43. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The voice is amazing, the knowledge of the game is amazing but I can’t stand some of the stories.

44. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The absolute best in the business are the guys in SF. Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper. Those guys are amazing and can break down a game better than ANYBODY in the business.

They also have John Miller in there as well, but he’s just annoying.

45. Nate83 says:

Marte was born with flair. I think he may be one of Ric Flairs children.

The other children were sitting in the stands making that annoying sound at the games last year.

46. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I think so, but I don’t think he’s going to get that big of an ovation either.

He has to keep it up, though, and I guess I need to see more of it to believe it. Snider has to hit some homers, or he can’t stay in RF past this year. There are no guys in MLB getting 60%+ of the RF starts, which is what the lefty in a platoon should get, who hit no HRs for very long. He is hitting like a SS, 2B or C now while playing an offense-first position. If that was his strategy, he could be bringing his career to a premature end. Don’t get me wrong. If he can sustain .290 with .350 OBP and be a doubles machine, I can live with it in a platoon. I just don’t see him squaring up the ball enough to do that. And when the other half of your RF combo (Tabata) is trying to do the same thing, that is not a good mix. Polanco can’t get here fast enough for me. I pray he is untouchable at the deadline.

48. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

dripping with power

I saw Ric Flair hawking some new energy drink not too long ago.

I miss the throws from the outfield getting to the shortstop on 3 or 4 hops.

LOL!

Why don’t you think he’ll be able to square the ball up enough?

If anything, he’s improving in the regard.

Like I said, he’s not gonna be your prototypical right fielder, but it’s a bit silly to me to say that he isn’t a useful player just because he doesn’t hit homeruns. There’s way, way more to baseball than homeruns.

ugh.

By all 3,000 people at the park.

That’s my defining memory of Jason Bay, defensively. An arm that made Johnny Damon look like Roberto.

Nor Cal:

Nice inclusion of the H in Thom.

Somebody better tell Neal to protect his junk and wear glasses.

I agree there is more to baseball than homeruns. I’m just saying there is not much demand for RF’ers who have hit, what, 1 HR since coming to the Bucs last July? RF’ers don’t get paid to provide the offense of a 2b for very long by many teams. I could be wrong, but I don’t think he is squaring the ball up much. He does not appear to be trying to drive anything any more. That is why the FB% is down and the GB% is up. I’m sure this is by design, but I don’t get it. He’s a strong guy with pop, and he only has average speed. Why turn yourself into a GB hitter? Leave that for the Presleys of the world, who can run. Just an opinion. I hope he does well either way.

59. JRay3 says:

Bucs beginning stretch of 13 games without a day off, against teams (M’s, Mets, Astros, Brewers) sporting a combined 49-74 record .398, great opportunity to make a little May run.

Well, the Pirates were not exactly churning out 5-tool OF during the Bay era. He couldn’t throw, and his speed was nothing special. But, he hit for a decent average, with nice pop and he had a good OBP with the Bucs. He was a better than avg LF for most of his time in Pittsburgh.

I always figured his 2004 shoulder surgery created issues.

62. Ghost says:

Bay’s arm may not have been so great, but playing left field in PNC is no picnic and Bay played it well enough. His bat was what we all loved watching. In between Brian Giles and Cutch he was the best thing we had going in Pittsburgh. And Giles probably was too good to be true, if you know what I mean (not going to out and out make any accusations so easily, this time.)

I don’t see leveling off anywhere with Marte, thankfully. He seems to be one of these rare guys who just gets better and better, even at the MLB level. I think it is because he developed later than he would have against top US competition when he was young. He is a total stud. I agree with you on the triples, too. I could see him going for 25/15/20, or even better, this year in XBH. That is really special. Then, throw 35 steals and terrific defense on top, and you have a special player. When Polanco gets here, that trio in the OF could easily be unmatched in MLB.

Gonna try a little hidden vigorish here. These games worry me because it seems like every year we have a stretch against teams we should beat (other than the Brewers), and we don’t.

Bonds, Barry.

“Why turn yourself into a GB hitter?”

Other than the fact that ground balls have a much higher rate of turning into hits, he had about 1000 big league at bats that told him he wasn’t a very good fly ball hitter at this level.

I applaud the guy for changing, and don’t think the Bucs will miss the long ball when they get them at an above average rate from C, 3B, 1B, CF, and potentially LF.

Besides, all I want him to be is a decent placeholder until Polanco gets the call.

They can beat the best and lose to the worst any day of the week.

I can’t remember a better opposite field hitter playing for the Bucs. I loved the short inside out swing.

JMac put on 15 day DL with right shoulder discomfort, Martin out tonight–day to day with neck stiffness Gomez starting tonight Harrison recalled to replace JMac on roster

72. Lad9 says:

J Mac scratched due to shoulder discomfort and placed on DL. That might explain a lot. He has not looked right for a long time.

That’s all i have for now but quite a bit of late afternoon activity

74. Karen22 says:

McDonald is pitching? DK’s lineup say Gomez…

75. Karen22 says:

OH—the Convenience List rears its head…been waiting for this!! LOL!

It is Gomez, JMac originally scheduled but now on DL

The Convenience List strikes again.

78. Karen22 says:

Beat you by three minutes, Milo! :)

I see you’re as happy as I am about it. Where’s Lucky ?

At this point Josh Harrison may be a better option as a starter than JMac

Those 3 or 4 hops just gave Jack Wilson more of a chance to make a spectacular play. You know the ones….where he turns, jumps up, and throws blindly to a base.

:THWAP:

83. Just got home. Which is the worst of 2 weavels? JMac or Jeanmar?

I like TC’s post below.

The vaunted CL. Neal’s best friend when you’re out of options.

84. cmat0829 says:

Great that the JMac to the DL move is finally made… it had to happen, I prefer sooner rather than later. I think “shoulder discomfort” is an apt description, it could really be called “overall discomfort”….

Interesting that JHey is the recall to replace JMac… I guess it is to have an extra bat with Russell Martin day-to-day…would think we’d need another pitcher for the Mets series.. maybe Jenmar gets the rotation spot now…and Mazarro takes the long relief role… we still need another arm.

So one JMac down, one to go. I’m thinking when Neil is ready, JMac is DFA’d and Mercer stays with the Bucs… it HAS to be that way….

This is the starting rotation of a 90 loss team.

86. cmat0829 says:

So, question for all the folks chortling about the Convenience List… if you were GM, what would you do?

1) Keep JMac in the rotation
    2) Move him to the bullpen
    3) Put him on the DL/CL.
    4) Waive him (another team will claim him).
    5) Trade him for Troy Tulowitzki (um, just kidding, though I’m sure folks will make the claim that he could fetch a good-hitting MLB shortstop)… trade him for whatever his value is (someone like Ronny Cedeno or Pedro Ciriaco).

What will it be? My vote is for #3, regardless of who the GM is and what my agenda is.

87. radio wave says:

At least it is not Jonathan Sanchez.

I think Milo called the CL last week ;-)

Depends if he’s really hurt

#3 obviously.

It’s their move with mentally weak starting pitchers who might cry if they were demoted to the bullpen. See: Morton, Charlie.

That was harsh. Oh well.

92. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

sounds like a lefty

93. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Had to get that in there..

94. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

he’s gotta make himself stand out!!

95. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Bonilla heard a few as well.

96. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

They’ll have that many?

97. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Jandy, shouldn’t you be benching players and making up lines……….LOL

98. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

No kidding……

JayHay to replace JMac??

99. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Craigslist?

I hope you all don’t think that NH is the only GM to use this?

100. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Correia, Kevin

101. Ghost says:

My thoughts, exactly. There were hints earlier that he might be hurt. Then that was supposedly shot down. Maybe this is unrelated. Who knows… I’d like to know up or down if he’s ailing or not.

102. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Sorry for the delay in posting tonight. Work has been a nightmare today.

TONIGHT’S LINE
    Total HITS by Pirates Batters in tonight’s game
    Line is 7.5

Max “wager” is 100 units

I WILL NEED SOMEONE TO RE-POST THE LINE FOR TOMORROW’S GAME FOR ME. I WILL POST IT IN THIS GAME THREAD AT THE CONCLUSION OF TONIGHT’S GAME. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

103. Karen22 says:

50 – OVER

104. Ghost says:

Correia wasn’t THAT bad for us. No all star, but I would’ve been miffed too if I were demoted to the bullpen in favor of Bedard. The Twins are happy we didn’t appreciate him.

105. blazer says:

100 on the over

Really? A staff that already has 5 shutouts on the season. Last years team only had 10 for the entire season.

107. pattonbb says:

100 on the over, Playoffs.

Thanks.

100 over, we’ll take care of it, thanks Playoffs

109. Playoffs, 100 on the OVER please.

110. Brandie says:

Dear Mr. Playoffs,

I would like 50 on the over please. Thank you.

111. pattonbb says:

I just heard John McDonald would be the emergency catcher tonight if the Fort goes down. Where is Inge? He was a catcher. Did he just forget how to put on the mask?

112. The Gunner says:

My vote is for Jenmar

113. The Gunner says:

Milo

I have been saying all along that the most games the Bucs will win is 72 games. Outside of AJ & Wandy, this is the worst starting rotation the Bucs have had in YEARS!!

I’ll stand by that one. I’m also figuring on Burnett being traded at the deadline. We’ll add them all up & see at the end.

115. Joey Mellons says:

25 on the under.

116. cosmo says:

100 on the over.

117. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window. Here’s to the Buccos starting this quick two game series on the right note.

For tonight’s line, the Pirates have not gone over the number since Friday, going two straight under the number. Harang is coming off of a six inning, four hit performance, but has still been rocked in a few starts. Playing the hunch here.

75 on the OVER

Thanks and Lets Go Bucs!

118. JD says:

100 over please.

But they weren’t traded. They left as free agents. But Bonds deserves to be booed in any event, because he’s Barry Bonds.

Hey shortstop!

121. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I didnt really have a problem with him either..he’s decent #5 starter.

122. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

100 on the over please

Neal’s not the only guy to use it, but he has a PhD in it. I think he gives classes in the off-season.

Seriously, though, someone mentioned the last game JMac pitched he kept working his shoulder like something was wrong.

124. OZ says:

100 over..thx

24/7 just tweeted this quote from Neal Huntington – Let me end the speculation. It will NOT be Gerrit Cole on Sunday. Well now.

Let me nip another one in the bud before all you uninformed fans :) get to speculating – It will NOT be Bob Friend on Sunday.

100 Hippos on the OVER please.

Go Bucs!!!

127. pattonbb says:

….or Mark Appel.

128. Lad9 says:

100 on over please. Thank you. Go Buccos!

Duke Welker is on his way to Pittsburgh & will be activated in the next day or so. Tabata to DL ?

130. Nice to score early here. Keep it going offense!! 1-0 good guys.

131. JRay3 says:

Snider rips his eighth double into right center gap for RBI #6 and Bucs take early 1-0 lead.

132. Cutch with another double for the Bucs. 2-0 now! ADD ON!!!

133. JRay3 says:

Cutch goes left center gap for RBI double as Bucs whacking Harang all around early.

134. JRay3 says:

Cutch now with 10 doubles and 19 RBI’s on the season.

135. JRay3 says:

Will need the extra arm after tonight…if not a DL assignment we have a surplus of infielders, with Mercer Johnny Mac, Harrison and Walker returning Sunday most likely.

136. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Boom

137. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Love it!!! Get ready for some serious gas….of the velocity type, not the “I-ate-too-much-chili” type.

138. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Like it, time to get home to watch…

All, have a good night guys@!!

Go Bucs

139. Brandie says:

Hope Cutch finds his groove. We are in the middle of a mighty long marathon and we could really use him.

141. pattonbb says:

JA Happ just took a comebacker to the head in the TB vs Toronto game. Taking him off the field on a stretcher.

Hope I’m wrong, but this looks bad.

142. Brandie says:

Thoughts and prayers are with him.

143. +5 on the Piled Higher and Deeper comment.

144. Plus you love his name, Ryan.

Agreed.

Harvey pithing a no-hitter for the Mets thru 6.

Pitching too.

148. JRay3 says:

For only finding out he was going to start two hours before game time, great performance turned in by Jeanmar in five shutout innings. Was only at 66 pitches so a little surprised CH did not let him go out for sixth.

Gomez may have just earned his way into Sunday’s start.

Yes agreed.

It looked like the ball may have hit him on the ear.

150. No reason why not. It won’t be Garrett Cole.

151. JRay3 says:

Cutch steals second because M’s catcher even thought it should have been ball four to Jones.

Well, they succeeded in making Aaron Harang look like Felix Hernandez. That should really sharpen them up for tomorrow.

153. pattonbb says:

It was ball 4. Tired of these ever-expanding strike zones.

154. Patrick(ri) says:

Poor Pedro, he cannot even catch up to an old man’s high “heat.” It is becoming clear that he just cannot hit .200.

155. pattonbb says:

I think I have just as good of a chance to get a hit as Pedro right now.

156. Patrick(ri) says:

He does throw a rope to first. That and occasional spurts at the plate are all we will get. Errors to go with the hits.

157. Playoffs by 2012 says:

If Pedro Alvarez can get into 155 games this season he has a legitimate chance of breaking the single season K record.

158. Patrick(ri) says:

Ah! We are going to call Seattle’s old man and raise them a Jose. hope he looks as good as last time.

159. Patrick(ri) says:

A battle of the Ancient!

160. Patrick(ri) says:

Not too bad, even if he gave their 40 yr old his first pinch hit of the year (Seattle announcers).

Pedro got 849 at bats in the minors. I think I’ve heard that it is usually ideal for a hitter to get 1000 at bats in the minors

Hope Melancon’s not rusty. :)

163. pattonbb says:

He would’ve gotten 1000 if he had played winter ball like they wanted him to. :)

164. JRay3 says:

Melancon just throwing stuff that is flat out unhittable.

165. pattonbb says:

Not rusty. Filthy.

Who did the Mariners make Jenmar look like?

That’s cause he’s well rested.

168. Patrick(ri) says:

Has he made a steal this year?

169. Way to go for Cutch with a 4 for 4 night. Let’s get some more as Jonesy hits a bomb to right. 4-1 now. Pens lost though 6-4.

170. Patrick(ri) says:

Now, isn’t that better than a stolen base???

171. tdb1977 says:

Jones with a home run. They keep scoring, Grilli will be sitting in the pen again tonight.

172. JRay3 says:

Jones with an emphatic two run shot over Clemente wall to put an exclamation on this one.

Time for Grilli to get lucky #13 to close it in the 9th.

173. Well, looks like the UNDER wins it tonight, barring any drama. Come on Grilled Cheese, Shut them down in the 9th!!

174. pattonbb says:

What a great at bat. Down 0-2 and he battles until he gets a pitch to drive. Beautiful!!

175. Patrick(ri) says:

Of course, Snider was just preserving the save opportunity.

176. Patrick(ri) says:

On his way to a really fine year — no bitchin about platoon — just production.

177. tdb1977 says:

Gabby hasnt done that bad either this year with the platooon at first base.

178. Patrick(ri) says:

179. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

180. Patrick(ri) says:

I think I know how Martin got a sore neck.

181. Raise it Baby!!!! 18-14 is great to see. Keep it going boys!!

182. JRay3 says:

Behind five shutout innings from late inserted starter Jeanmar Gomez and four innings of solid work from the pen with Wilson, Watson, Contreras, Melancon and Grilli all pitching in including a 13th save for Grilli the Bucs take the first game of the two game set 4-1 and there was noooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Bucs improve to 18-14 and 2-2 on the five game home stand. The Pirates will go for the sweep of the M’s tomorrow when AJ Burnett takes the hill for the Pirates.

Let’s Go Bucs!

183. Lad9 says:

Raise it! At least one good performance tonight

184. tdb1977 says:

Let’s go for the two game sweep tomorrow and get ready to hit the road for a weekend series with the Muts, I mean Mets.

185. tdb1977 says:

If someone was going to tell me that our platoon at first base would produce 8 home runs and 31 rbi’s through the first week of May, I would have called your crazy.

186. The Gunner says:

Chances are the outcome of tonight’s game would have been different if JMac pitched. Get the brooms out tomorrow. Maybe Daydro (after his 3 whiffs tonight) will come out of hibernation tomorrow.

187. Ermine says:

I wonder if ROOT shows second round games?

188. tomp says:

There won’t be any, if the Penguins keep Fleury in goal.
    That being said, good solid game by the Pirates.
    I just don’t know like all the sub par hitting SS/2b options on this club.
    Besides that, they all bat from the right side.
    I am just hoping Mercer can do enough to stick this time, and Jmac is shown the door. Veteran leadership is only worth so much, especially if it comes with a batting average of under .100.
    No reason not to give Mercer 12 to 15 ab’s a week, for the next few weeks.
    He can help this team, much more that the incumbents, Inge, and the previously mentioned .100 hitting veteran.
    I just hope Cole is being considered, for the Sunday start in NY.

189. Ghost says:

Don’t know who else might show up here at this point, but for what it’s worth:
    1) They should keep running Jeanmar Gomez out there until he gives them a reason not to.
    2) There was a time when Garrett Jones’ home runs were mostly solo shots. Not anymore. This year, two of his four HR’s have come with somebody on and including last year’s shots he’s hit 21 of his 31 HR’s with runners on.

190. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Need someone to re-post this in the Wednesday game thread for me. Thanks in advance.

WEDNESDAY PICK ‘EM LINE
    How Many STRIKEOUTS will Pirates batters have in today’s game?
    0-5 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    6-10 (EVEN ODDS)
    11 or More (EVEN ODDS)

Max “wager” is 100 units.

191. Ghost says:

If it’s not already posted by 3 pm Eastern Time when I get in, I will do it. But if anybody else gets the chance first, by all means please do it. Lest I forget this promise I’ve just made in the middle of the night while on sleeping pills. [(--)]zzz

He’s too valuable in RF now … and possibly CF. Ugh!

Agreed. Polanco is the real deal, and the future.

I was not ripping Snider. I just thought it was a curious move for a guy with good power to turn himself into more of a GB hitter and forego almost all of his power. It is not as though he is suited for that style of play. He is not fast, so he won’t beat many out. Plus, he doesn’t do a lot of other things well. He has an average glove, average arm, average speed. But, I guess he just decided that he was never going to make it in translating his minor league HR success to the majors – although he also had shown nice power in Toronto on occasion. As for GB’s having a much better chance of turning into hits, even if that is so, they are almost always singles and sometimes they are rally-killing DPs. FB’s become doubles, HRs & Sac flies. I understand you need both types of hitters on your team to make a lineup work well. But, ask any team in MLB and no one is looking for a platoon situation like we have in RF – two guys that might hit for a decent avg. and decent OBP but no power. Neither guy will last long, and no other teams would want them. I’ll say it again – I hope Snider hits .300 with a .360 OBP and tons of 2bs. I hope he starts to drive in more runs as well. I’m just skeptical, but I do it with respect to your viewpoint. We both want them to win every night, right?