‘The Final Word’ takes aim at Pens-Sens

The joint venture between WPXI and Trib Total Media into sports TV continues tonight at 11:35 p.m. with the latest episode of The Final Word.

The discussion will be built on a rotation of WPXI and Trib personalities, but also will be heavy on contributions from you. Each week, we take comments from viewers through videos you submit on The Final Word’s Facebook page, as well as comments to The Final World’s Twitter account. Our topics this week are led by the upcoming Penguins-Senators series, obviously, but we’ll also have Steelers and Pirates in store.

We have WPXI’s live online stream for Pittsburgh’s many out-of-town sports fans, as well as video podcasts available on both outlets’ Web sites.

WPXI contributors are Alby Oxenreiter and Bill Phillips. The Trib is represented by myself and Rob Rossi.

Here’s last week’s episode.

Really hope to have you not only watching but also joining in!

Comments

This question woke me from a drunken stupor. Around noon.

If the show title’s final word word is, you know, is the whole title redundant?

Is this like Spock saying “I cannot lie. I am lying” in that great episode with all those sexy fembots? Well. It wasn’t great. But it was sexy. Except for that last fembot. My wife.

What the Harcourt Fenton Mudd am I talking about, anyway?

2. Brandie says:

Did you take your meds today?

Meds? They have meds for this? Can I mix em with liquor?

4. Brandie says:

At your own peril or delight.

5. Ghost says:

You can mix ‘em with a shot of Brandie. Which methinks you’ve already been doing, because fembots were from The Bionic Woman.

What a nice day.

Pirates win. By one. To go something like 40 games over .500.

Rangers win. By one. Who would think that would make me happy? Oh yeah. They’re playing the Ovechkins.

Golden State beat San Antonio. In overtime.

Tiger, who I never liked, wins the Players. Ok, by two. But it was one until the last putt.

So why does Tiger’s win, who I never liked, add to a good day? See, I’ve worked things out like this.

1. I grudgingly accept that a competitive Tiger is good for golf.
    2. I never liked him.
    3. So I root FOR him in EVERY tournament…except…
    4. I root against him in EVERY Major.

Wouldn’t that be terrific?

If he finished his career with, like, 150 victories?

But Not One More Major that he bases his entire existence on.

I never liked him.

And I’m sitting in my fourth beach bar of the day, listening to my third band. Best one yet. A power trio, zipperheads playing 70s rock. Not the Journey girlie crap. The hard stuff. And they look like they’ve lived pretty hard themselves. 500 back of low book for high mileage.

Yep. It’s been a pretty good day.

Well. Other than being molested by a thousand love bugs this morning.

Happy Freaking Mother’s Day to me. Best one yet.

7. Eric Bowser says:

Probably unpopular opinion….

Talking Steelers in May looks to be nothing but playing to the ratings game in Pittsburgh as there’s nothing to talk about that could possibly merit a minute of discussion… unless of course, the topic goes to saluting Jack Butler, who passed away this weekend.

Otherwise, what… the 10,000th time someone wants to talk about Max Starks tossed to the side again and this time for a guy named Guy Whimper.

I’ll hang up and listen to the call… oh wait, wrong medium…

DK: I put out a very general promo each week that mentions all three teams. As it turns out, the Steelers were never even on the discussion budget for this week. I’ll be more specific for future shows.

For what it’s worth, if we wanted to announce topics in advance purely for ratings boost, with the way the city is right now, we’d have been booming out Penguins, Penguins, Penguins to the heavens. Obviously, that didn’t happen, either.

8. Ghost says:

With a name like Whimper, hopefully he’s going through life with a Boy Named Sue-complex.

9. Sarah says:

How do you do!!

Brandie is right, you need some meds No alcohol………. you are loopy enough as it is. ;)

And you cant blame this behavior on the poodle. ;)

Alby: We only have a half a minute left in the show, but how about those Buccos. Taking 3 of 4 in NYC

Phillips: They’re playing great. I think they’ll be in the playoffs, just like the Penguins are. Neal Huntington has done an excellent job of constructing this roster.

DK: Not so fast….

Alby: That’s all the time we have for this week’s show. I hope no one was injured by a flying tweet.

I think I know who will be first in line at the box office Friday.

I can’t wait for the Personalities.

How many YOU got, Dejan?

Like EYE should talk.

Or me.

Or eye.

Or me.

Or eye.

Or…

I’ll hang up and listen to the call

Ahhhhh, the good old days.

Just found this gem of a post put up by…Eric.

Hang up and listen? Classic ending to an on target post.

Talking Steelers on Mother’s Day? What’s next, Yinzer videos?

Remember when Dejan tisk-tisked us for two months in the offseason for talking Pirates?

Personality, Heal Thyself.

I’m already there. Folding chair and Worf mask.

Thanks, DK, for providing a link to the show for us out-of-towners.

DK: No, thank YOU for watching. We’re proud of reaching out to Pittsburgh fans stuck living in less fortunate locales.

18. AJ says:

I think Crosby should win Tavares a close second

19. Ghost says:

Boy, Thundercrack just about nailed it with his satirical remark about how much time would be devoted to the Pirates.

DK: It was a full segment, exactly one-third of the three-segment show. And based on the social media feedback, it’s one more segment than most folks would have wanted on the topic.

20. Ghost says:

That came off too whiny. I’ll rephrase my observation this way: During the summer and fall, when it’s all baseball and football, I’ll be gobbling it up.

21. Deb says:

Just watched the Final Word. It is much improved already. Really like the changes. One final suggestion, it bugs me that the screen is split btw the panelists and the twitter feed, making the panelists so small. Could the twitter feed run at the bottom, and keep the ‘head shots’ of the panelists normal size?

Just a thought …

Good work with the program.

DK: Thanks, Deb. I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you we were pretty happy with this one, meaning the pace and distribution of the content. Your idea is in the works. The issue is committing to a 16×9 (HD) screen. That stuff happens miles over my head (I don’t even work there), but I’d be surprised if you didn’t see that soon.

Again, thanks for watching and for the criticism.

22. Ghost says:

DK: They cut you off at the 2min 1sec mark of the fourth segment. However, given the time limits of the show — and the social media feedback you mention above — I comprehend why time was budgeted as it was. My initial remark was just an off-the-cuff reaction when the stuff I was personally interested in ended. I wish I could take it back.

In any event, I’ll be sure to be back next week. I’m hooked. And the time slot is pretty convenient for me too, since I’m in a later time zone. I’ll second the Hippo’s appreciation for having access to this local programming.

DK: I understand. Thanks for watching!

23. Deb says:

Not meant as criticism. It’s a good show as is. Really impressed. Feel you all are on the right track.

DK: No, I meant criticism in the universal sense. Constructive and all.

24. Bill says:

Any chance the show morphs into a straight panel discussion? Love the idea of an alternative to the KDKA show but I really think all the viewer comments are a distraction.

I tune in for an informed discussion by the panel and I’m not at all interested in comments from other fans. I really want to like the show but I haven’t made it through one full episode yet. When Alby starts reading tweets or the viewer video comments come on, I have to turn it off.

Just my two cents.