Final: Brewers 5, Pirates 1

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (21-16) vs. Milwaukee Brewers (15-20)

Starters: RHP A.J. Burnett vs. RHP Marco Estrada

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Michael McKenry, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Burnett, RHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page.

UPDATE 4:11 p.m.: Couple things from my time in the clubhouse this afternoon, highlighted by Jason Grilli hurriedly putting on his civvies and leaving PNC Park. I was right there by him, but this looked serious. Wasn’t about to interrupt. Clint Hurdle said there was nothing he could share at the moment and wasn’t sure if Grilli would be back tonight.

Here’s wishing Grilli well.

4:40: Video of my talk today with Snider about a bunch of things, including his status as an everyday/bench guy, the nature of his swing and more …

Comments

1. gregenstein says:

Can’t say I like the optioning of Jordy Mercer down to AAA, but what do I know. I realize he’s going to be a bench player, but he’s at least usuable in a role other than “if Barmes gets hurt…”

2. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Due to there being no line yesterday, today is a very special 3 line Monday!

Max “wager” is 100 units on any one line.
    Play as many or as few as you’d like.
    This is for fun and entertainment purposes only.

Line #1
    Total HITS + WALKS by Neil Walker in tonight’s game
    Line is 1.5

Line #2
    Total RUNS SCORED by the Pirates in tonight’s game
    Line is 4.5

Pic ‘Em Line #3
    What will AJ Burnett get in tonight’s game?
    Win (EVEN ODDS)
    Loss (DOUBLE ODDS)
    No Decision (EVEN ODDS)

Good Luck!!!

3. tdb1977 says:

Time to get back into this betting thing. My magic 8 ball is telling me to beat the following:

100 rupies on the under for line 1
    100 rupies on the over for line 2
    100 rupies on a loss for AJ tonight. Hate to put that down, but he has gotten no run support and no matter where the Brewers are played, its usually a lost.

Thanks again Playoffs!

4. JD says:

Line 1 – 50 over
    Line 2 – 50 under
    Line 3 – 50 Win

Go Bucs!

5. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window. Perfect day for the Bucs to finally earn a four game winning streak. This is the fourth time this season they will try to secure four straight wins which would be a season high.

On to the lines for tonight. In line one it features the return of Neil Walker. Walker was 5-12 .416 in the four games for Altoona, so his stroke appears to be there. However in 23 games in Pittsburgh only eight times has he gone over or 34.7% of the time. Don’t really like this line, but I will side with the numbers.

Line 1 – 75 on the UNDER

In line two we look at runs scored. The Pirates this year have scored 153 runs in 37 games, an average of 4.13 a contest. They have scored 5+ runs in 13 of the 37 games or 35% of the time. Have to side with the numbers here as well.

Line 2 – 100 on the UNDER

The last line of the day is the pick ‘em. AJ Burnett has earned a decision in six of his eight starts and has gone 3-3. So good chance he figures in the decision. The Pirates are attempting to achieve a four game winning streak for first time this year as alluded to above against their nemesis. These are the situations AJ thrives on. I don’t like to go against him

Line 3 – 75 on the WIN

Thanks Playoffs and Let’s Go Bucs!

Did I miss something happen to Garrett Jones?

7. radio wave says:

at playoffs: I will take 50 on under for line 1. 50 under on line 2. A win on line 3. Thanks

8. radio wave says:

at playoffs: I forgot on line 3, give me 75 on a win.

9. radio wave says:

I still can’t believe what this team has done so far. Is it smoke and mirrors. For a while, our staff was AJ, Wandi, and frick and frack. Frick has been sent to Indy,(j sanchez), where he belongs. Frack, pitches five innings, survives and gets wins like yesterday. Liriano is lights out his first time. But I’m far from sold on Liriano. Even in Nick Cafardo’s article in yesterday’s Boston Globe, scouts were quoted as saying Liriano will look good the first couple of times out, then get hurt. And Morton has a lot to prove. But each day, someone comes up clutch, they find a way to win ugly. Can’t go on this way forever, can it?

10. Lad9 says:

On a plane about to leave for Chicago. Will take:

Line 1 under 100
    Line 2 over 100
    Line 3 100 on a win. AJ will be on tonight.

Thanks Playoffs. Go Buccos!

11. cmat0829 says:

Playing the hunch….. 100 UNITS each…

1) Walker UNDER
    2) Pirates RUNS OVER (Time to tattoo Estrada)
    3) AJ WINS

Give me Pirates 7, Brewers 2.

12. Kevin says:

#1 – 100 on the over
    #2 – 100 on the over
    #3 – 10 on the loss.

13. Kevin says:

I realize this is the baseball thread. Was going to ask if anybody going to watch either game 7 Stanley Cup Quarterfinals? I guess I’ll be flipping back n forth between the NY Rangers/Wash Caps and the P-rats.

14. tdb1977 says:

Oh, I forgot to mention, I’ll be at tonight’s game and I am currently sitting at 0-3. If I had gone to last Wednesday game – I would be at 0-4. So, this is also why I choose a lost tonight. Me and my bad apples!

15. radio wave says:

Go rangers

16. JRay3 says:

Sanchez recently hit a two run HR off Estrada and Jones is 3-19 lifetime .157 versus Marco. Probably just one of those CH hunches, playing the numbers.

17. Patrick(ri) says:

Who knows, but it is both amusing and excruiciating to watch.

18. Naterosboro says:

Just saw this on twitter. Anyone know anything else?

@WillGravesAP 7s

Pirates closer @GrillCheese49 left clubhouse quickly this PM, changed into regular clothes. Not sure if avail tonight vs. Brewers.

19. Naterosboro says:

Saw this from DK abt 15 min ago:

@Dejan_Kovacevic 15m

Hurdle on Grilli leaving: “Nothing I can share.” Unsure if Grilli will be here tonight.

I hope everything is OK for Jason.

20. JRay3 says:

DK tweeted that he asked Clint Hurdle about it and the response was nothing he could share.

Oh My. I hope so too. Sending out good vibes.

22. Naterosboro says:

Not sure if I should be happy about this?

@JonHeymanCBS 10m

ankiel gets major-league deal. he’s on way to st. louis.

23. Naterosboro says:

he signed for the mets!

I missed an earlier tweet from Heyman!

Ahhhh. Twitter!

24. Naterosboro says:

Enjoy the ride.

This bus has a habit of wheels falling off.

But it can be fun while its rollin’.

left for “personal reasons” I would guess some type of family emergency

26. Naterosboro says:

not sure why the Mets are adding another guy who can’t hit?

@jaysonst 1m

Crazy numbers: 35 K, 3 BB, 4 singles, 5 HR RT @msimonespn: Rick Ankiel has missed on 42% of swings. Average MLB pitcher misses on about 31%

27. Naterosboro says:

Gets better

@AnthonyDiComo 7m

Ankiel is playing center field tonight, batting seventh vs. Cardinals. #Mets

The Mets are in a rough place right now. But I don’t pity them. Screw em.

Screw em all!

Including the Brewers!

28. TCB says:

#1 100 under
    #2 100 over
    #3 100 W.

Fair enough, I forgot about Gaby’s last performance against Estrada.

In Clint’s gut, we trust!

100 on the over for lines 1 and 2

100 on the W for AJ

Just saw his Mom, Dad and family on TV yesterday

Especially the Brewers ;-)

33. JHadar says:

Lots of news today, eh?

Mercer — Put me in the I wish he was staying club. Small sample and all, but it’s hard to sneeze at an .894 OPS. (.852 at Indy) I read some of the reasoning on the other thread, but find myself unmoved by it.

Grilli — Hope it’s nothing serious and that we finally give AJ enough run support that we don’t need him tonight.

Has Gomez made the team? The rotation?

Barmes and Pedro both over the Mendoza line. Without all the other news that would be worth talking about.

And the Tabata/Snider competition is getting interesting.

While I was going through the Indy Stats I noticed Tony Sanchez at .269/.380/.449/.829

So with AJ going tonight, the club hitting well, back to five over and hanging in in a 3-horse race, I guess we’ll find out if there’s really a mental block with the Brewers.

34. JaxBuc says:

Please sir, may have Line #1 – 100 Marco Estrada pesos on the UNDER
    That is all.

35. stuart66 says:

Playoffs – 100 doubloons each on Over for Walker, Over for runs scored, an d “Win” for AJ

Stuart (I’m so far down that I don’t know which way is up!)

36. Naterosboro says:

If you don’t follow DK on twitter, he was with Lunchbox earlier…

DK: Thanks, but everything is up there on this post now, including the video interview with Travis Snider.

37. stuart66 says:

Here’s hoping that a major league shortstop on a contending (that is not the Pirates) has an injury at the deadline. We could then trade Barmes, and install Jordy at short for the rest of the season to see what he’s got.

Stuart

38. stuart66 says:

Hey Drew,

Great weather in Western PA today. We were able to practice curling on the ice in our back yard. So don’t go bragging about the Fla. weather!

BTW I was confused by your comment in this morning’s thread about an Occupational Therapist (“OT”) with the unlikely name of “Golden State”.

Stuart

39. Naterosboro says:

My bad DK.

Didn’t know if you’d be putting it up.

I bow to the master.

DK: Ha! No problem at all. Was just adding a couple cents there to make it easier for readers to find the Snider interview.

40. Jason81 says:

Playoffs,

100 on the UNDER for Line 1

100 on the OVER for Line 2

100 on a WIN for Line 3

Thanks!

41. tdb1977 says:

Found the Brewers lineup on Twitter and it has no Rickie Week or Ryan Braun in it tonight. Interesting to say the less.

Nice interview with Snider.

I wonder if he reads the comments on this blog or the chat transcripts
    :-)

DK: Honestly, man … every other comment …

People wonder why I hardly ever talk about this team anymore. Nothing will ever change with the columns and the chats and the radio show, but social media — including this — is either fun for me or I won’t do it. And there is absolutely nothing remotely enjoyable about talking Pirates with some of this team’s fans.

I put up that video pretty much counting the seconds until the first front-office-focused snark went up, and you came through like a champ, TC.

43. cosmo says:

100 under on line 1
    100 over on line 2
    100 win on line 3

44. Playoffs, I would like the following:

Line 1 – UNDER for 100
    Line 2 – OVER for 100
    Line 3 – WIN for 100

Thanks.

Mr. Playoffs kind sir, my bets are:
    75 over for line 1
    100 over for line 2
    100 win for AJ line 3

Tonight’s Brewers starting 9:

Milwaukee Brewers:
    1. RF: Norichika Aoki
    2. SS: Jean Segura
    3. CF: Carlos Gomez
    4. 3B: Aramis Ramirez
    5. 2B: Yuniesky Betancourt
    6. C: Jonathan Lucroy
    7. 1B: Blake Lalli
    8. LF: Logan Schafer
    9. SP: Marco Estrada

“Lloyd” Braun with a night off. Ron Roenicke had said he wanted to get Braun a day off. Makes sense it would be against the Pirates because you meannies might hurt his feelings with all your yelling at him. Ricky Weeks also has the night off. First game off this year for Weeks. He has terrible numbers against AJB, and is also in a season long slump that would make Petey blush.

47. Dave G says:

Must have been those pesky Pens fans who were yelling at him.

They’re classless, ya know. Ottawa’s owner tweeted it himself.

48. stickyweb says:

I’m pessimistic today for some reason

UNDER line 1 for 100
    UNDER line 2 for 100
    Loss for 100 (to win 200)

Thanks.

49. Frankie says:

Give me 100 on each

Line 1 under

Line 2 over

Line 3 win

That series is going to be a blast, Dave. Weird owner, goofy coach and animosity between the players.

That being said, I hope it’s a Pens sweep. Could live without the melodrama.

51. Dave G says:

Bring it on!

52. cherokee23 says:

100 under on 1 & 2
    100 AJ win

53. Dave G says:

(We now return you to your regular baseball programming.)

54. Joey Mellons says:

55 and over on all 3 lines.

55. Joey Mellons says:

Sorry. Last line is a win for AJ.

56. cherokee23 says:

I’m not gettin it, either!

DK: Gettin’ what, kemosabe?

57. stuart66 says:

Shouldn’t that be”Native American 23″?

Stuart

58. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Line 1: 100 Under

Line 2: 100 Under

Line 3: 100 on Win

59. Baloney. Or bologna, whichever you prefer. Get em both in the lineup.

60. twentytwo22 says:

Hey Pirates, if you could just beat the Brewers into last place that would be great. Thanks.

61. Frick was released. No Indy for him.

62. cherokee23 says:

was a reply to a post that isn’t showing anymore

63. I believe the “he” TC referred to was Snider, right? And what did he say about the Front Office?

I heard part of an interview with Denny Potvin on the Fan, and I thought he came across as a good guy, knowledgeable and objective. Needless to say, I don’t expect any quotes from him to appear in the Ottawa Sun. Maybe some of his “close friends” will anonymously provide some off the record comments (a la the National Enquirer). One of the things he said was that Vokoun was Shero’s best pickup this year by far.

65. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

ahhhhh, a break from Braun is a good break for all, wonder if he’s out getting PED’s?

66. OZ says:

Line 1: Under

Line 2: Over

Line 3: Win

100 apiece, thx.

67. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

3 game winning streak and we get the Brewers? Really? Why does MLB scheduling hate us so?

68. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

DK,

Please tell me you had to look up how to spell kemosabe?

DK: Disturbingly, no.

69. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Is Tony Sanchez still up?

70. Brandie says:

Dear Fabulous Mr. Playoffs,

I would like 50 units on lines 1, 2, and 3. Thanks loads.u

Well, HONESTLY, right back at you.

And the funny thing is that I had erased my second sentence because I was afraid that it might possibly upset you DK. Then I decided to add the :-)

By the way, did you see the first sentence. And did you see the :-) after the second sentence.

And how did exactly is my comment ‘front office focused snark”? As Lucky points out, the “he” was Snider. A guy who you haven’t exactly given rave reviews – or scouting reports on. It was a good interview, both questions & answers. I wondered if when the camera was off if Snider ever would say something like “Dude, I read your weekly chats and have read some of your answers about me”.

And another ‘honestly, don’t you have better things to do than to worry about than counting down the seconds on reactions to your posts/videos?

Here is a constructive suggestion:
    When you see what you perceive as ‘snark’ that is directed towards you, why don’t you take a breath and ask:
    1) Is this person attacking me and/or my views?
    2) Is this person just ‘busting my stones’?
    3) Is this even directed at me or even worth the reply?

If your answer comes up #2 or #3 , save yourself the aggravation and don’t reply to the post.

72. Brandie says:

Me too. Double up on the good vibes. Happy belated Mother’s Day.

73. KenKopp says:

Hope everything is OK with Grilli and his family. The feed I was watching yesterday showed him Mom taking photos in the last inning and she was ENJOYING her Mother’s Day. His Dad was there too.

Lot of “snark”, (Good word DK. Never heard it used like that before.), about the Mercer move. The seasons a little over a month old. McDonald has had a handful of AB’s. Mercer would sit on the pine. He was pretty sharp when they called him up “cause he was playing everyday. Mercer can’t be recalled for 10 days, but Harrison is there and Pressely for the outfield. Let ‘em play there everyday and stay SHARP. Look at the big picture folks. It is a long season. Let it play out. I

DK, if you hear anything about Grilli’s thing, plese post it.

One last thought Lunnies. GO BUCS.

74. I enthusiastically SECOND that!! GO BUCS!!

Went back yesterday, never officially called up.

77. MadTurk says:

Couple of items.
    1. Hope all is well with Grilli and his family or friends.
    2. From the previous thread – MAF or TC in goal in the first game. No brainer, you start TC in the first game for he has earned it. Depending on his play and a win in the first game you make the decision to start him in the second game or not. MAF should get a game or two at least in this series. Then go with both or the hot hand. By doing this I see giving TC a vote of confidence and also allowing MAF to build his. Depending on how things work out by the end of the season make your goal tender decisions at that time. As a fan I wish both all the success they can have and hope to bring the cup home.

Now back to Baseball, Go Bucs!

78. Brandie says:

I wholly, truly, and with the soundest of mind and greatest of conviction third that. It is beyond time for this team to be a relevant thorn in the side of everyone.

79. cherokee23 says:

Answer to the tweet is………2 game 7′s

80. Brandie says:

That is 50 over for line 1, 50 under for line 2, and 50 for the win. Sorry I made that clear as mud the first time.

81. Pucknutz says:

Line 1 100 under
    Line 2 100 under
    Loss 100

82. Crazy how the season rolls along. Back when the Bucs played the Braves, the Bravos had the best record in baseball. Now they have the same exact record as our Buccos. I think we had a hand in starting that downward trend for them.

83. Brandie says:

So very proud of that! :-)

Line 1— 50 UNDER

Line 2— 50 UNDER

Line 3— 50 on NO DECISION

Thanks

Sorry, I meant that to be 50 OVER on Line 1

86. Brandie says:

Was that a Public Service Trip through the mind of a rabid Penguin playoff hockey fan? If so, me and my other 99 personalities would like to thank you for the diversion.

BRANDIE!!!!

88. Pucknutz says:

Great answer!!! :)

GO Rangers – HATE -Hate- Hate the Caps and Ovi!

Other game – don’t care who wins- although Bruins/Pens east finals might be cool!!

ok- back to the Bucs.

89. Ermine says:

Did they forget to open the gates, at the ball park? I do see any fans.

90. Brandie says:

HIPPOSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

91. JRay3 says:

I have a feeling the Brewers are going to run every chance they get today turning walks, and singles into doubles.

92. Is this Milwaukee or Pittsburgh? Same horrid start. Let’s keep them from getting any runs, but at least limit any damage.

93. Of course they will. AJ doesn’t care much for keeping runners close from what I have seen.

94. Ermine says:

Unfortunately, I think you’re correct.

On TV, it looks like it is snowing………..

How is my favorite PR person…………?

96. Pucknutz says:

I read it the same way you did Lucky.
    Unless there is some prior undercurrent that I am unaware of -seemed like a pretty run of the mill post. ????????

97. One slapped double and two straight cheap hits with no outs. 1-0 idiots.

98. radio wave says:

Talk about a punch and Judy rally.

99. JRay3 says:

McKenry has to catch that and throw down….he is becoming a detriment, Sanchez needs to hurry his progress as this is painful to watch.

100. tcb says:

Martin needs to get healthy quickly. Too much Fort is not good.

101. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Outstanding…….thanks AW. I knew he wasn’t official, but just making sure since Martin is out again.

102. Bob Hasis says:

The Brewers will be sorry if they leave those two guys on.

103. Bob Hasis says:

They just did

104. JRay3 says:

It helps to have strikeout stuff as AJ limits the damage but it takes him 27 pitches to do so. Certainly miss Martin behind the dish.

105. tcb says:

Well, at least AJ kept the damage to a mimimum. 1-0, bottom of 1.

106. bob spagna says:

Don’t know about anyone else, but I’d love to meet Playoffs and JRay just to buy them a few beers and watch a game. And they’re living way west of the Mississippi. Like to meet a whole bunch of other people who comment here, too.

107. Brandie says:

Always remember, every superstar has a dedicated hype machine working to build the legend. I am groovy and am glad I can provide some entertainment on this here blog. Hope you are well, HippoDaddy.

108. Ermine says:

Barmes saved them a run, no way Mercer gets to that infield single..Just saying.

109. Brandie says:

Let’s see how the team responds from here on out.

110. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Suitable back up, but not a starter, especially now that the Pirates have a legit starter. What night and day from last year.

Oh, I am well.

Not feeling the game tonight………. weather may have something to do with it.

I think I am off to the Pond…….. I might return to read the funny comments……..

Superstar Hippo, you are just way too much!

Hippo out.

112. Bob Hasis says:

Oh yeah and Segura has an arm just like Barmes!

113. tcb says:

That was some play Segura made.

114. Brandie says:

Enthusiastically seconded, Mr. Pucknutz.

115. The ump is giving the outside corner and a little bit outside for both guys, so they need to protect that corner. Estrada is living on the outside all night right now. Go with the pitch.

116. JRay3 says:

Tough opening inning for the Bucs, should be able to get to Estrada though as his stuff isn’t fooling anybody.

117. Patrick(ri) says:

Nothing I destest more than conspiacy theorists, but MLB fines &suspends an egregiously bad umpire, and for his first game back, where do they send him? How about a low profile game between the Praytes and the Brewers! Given the apparent turnout to see A J, perhaps they knew nobody cares.

118. Brandie says:

See you later, Hipposter.

119. Patrick(ri) says:

At least they can probably spell “Pirates”.

120. Bob Hasis says:

I hadn’t noticed, but you make an astute point.

121. Brandie says:

I agree, but I think you mean TV instead of TC? Otherwise, you have me thinking ThunderCrack is going to be in goal for the Pens.

122. Segura with yet another cheap hit.

123. Ermine says:

That was a terrific play. I had to reread my post.I dont remember saying anything about Segura, I thought I said Mercer. My bad.

124. tcb says:

3 stolen bases, so far – in the 3rd.

125. JRay3 says:

Cutch roaming the OF an absolute thing of beauty.

126. Eric Bowser says:

Important series and Martin is sitting out… now I see why he’s a baseball player and not playing hockey.

127. How about some noise from the bottom of the lineup! I don’t want this usual thing of letting a guy with an outrageous ERA shut us down.

128. Brandie says:

Abort The Fort?

129. Brandie says:

Ooh! Ouch! Questioning Martin’s gamer cred.

thanks Brandie, hope yours was nice too :)

131. JRay3 says:

162 game season, rather him be cautious now than do something stupid and be out an extended period of time, team won without him in New York.

132. Brandie says:

Went camping…Had to recharge my batteries so I could bring my best to this here blog.

Well Dayum. Who peed in HIS Cheerios?

134. Eric Bowser says:

kinda like him playing after the first flare up?

135. Brandie says:

Like + lots.

136. Eric Bowser says:

yeah actually I am…

If you can’t go after 3 or 4 days off… this team can’t afford to have him sitting on the bench as it limits moves later in game if they are losing and as we’re seeing.. too many games for McKenry exposes him.

What you said, Sistah!!!!

Oh Lord, I’d LOVE to see THAT!!! :P

139. Brandie says:

For the defensive weaknesses in his game as one of the goals of the front office was to improve the ability of the pitcher and catcher to work together to hold runners on or pick em’ off successfully.

Ouch

141. Brandie says:

You know, that would be a good promotion for next season…live the dream.

142. tcb says:

AJ has settled in. Time to score some runs for him.

143. Brandie says:

Who wants to be a professional hockey goalie?

Dittos

145. Brandie says:

I know. The Fort is a gamer, but the team loses something with his limited ability to pick runners off.

I was sayin that about Walker as well. Heck, hockey players skate and hit with broken bones. These guys are p^ssi^s

darn right

148. Brandie says:

Could not agree more. Time to exorcise the Demons known as The Milwaukee Brewers.

149. And now they are letting Estrada find his inner Cy Young.

150. JRay3 says:

Snider has to protect the plate, yes the pitch is a ball but he has been rung up twice on it and it appears this ump is giving inches off the plate.

They’re working really good ;)

I’d kick whoever shot the puck at me with my size 9 wide skates ;)

Well, dang I missed the Hipposter :/

154. Brandie says:

You all make me feel so welcomed. This is so much fun for me.

Let’s hope his bat is hot tonight

156. Yet another blown call by an ump during a Brewers-Pirates game. Dude was clearly off the bag. I actually thought Cutch beat out the previous AB, but they didn’t replay it.

Yes, Hippos are Soffffffffffffff ;)

158. Brandie says:

I like my Ninjas feisty.

Hi Jandy!

160. He has been giving the outside part of the plate to both guys all night. They need to adjust as Estrada is living there.

Hippos dont exorcise.
    Nor do we exercise. ;)

162. I just hate when 1-0 feels like 10-0.

163. Brandie says:

Let’s hope he gets his Thunder Stick with its mojo working.

Not quite far enough Mr. Walker

165. Brandie says:

And, now, appearing straight out of Hippo’s Line, your favorite and mine. :-)

166. Dang cold air. Two balls hit good in the last two innings have been knocked down in that cold damp air. Marte’s and now Walker’s.

167. Brandie says:

Oh for pitty’s sake…News bulletin…for the umpires…This Game Is Not All About You!!

168. Brandie says:

No, you Hippocize…obliterating the competition.

LOL.

I just watched a few minutes of the game………. the boys just dont seem to have it tonight.

Another good outing by AJ seems to be wasted.

170. tcb says:

Just think how 2-0 feels then.

171. Wasn’t it 20-0 against this freakin’ team a year or two ago. That’s how it feels.

172. JRay3 says:

No Braun, no Weekes, Marco Estrada pitching and we still struggle with this team.

And third just swiped on poor McKenry throw, 4 SB’s they are taking anything they want with zero fear. Unreal.

173. Brandie says:

With the ego maniacal umps helping it along. The offense has got to produce consistently so nothing is left in the hands of the umps.

Upsetting

Hipposter!!!!!!!

176. Wonder where Milo has been all day. Hope he isn’t upset that that guy dissed him yesterday for no reason. Lord knows, we’ve lost enough good people from this blog.

177. tcb says:

Stolen base (#4) leads to another run. Fort is having a nightmare game.

Brandie is on a roll ;)

179. Game over at this point. 3-0 now. Offense is being lulled to sleep, so AJ continues to be a hard luck loser with no run support. He is not helping himself with this running game. The Fort needs to be better, but AJ can help him out some. The scouting report is out and this team loves to run against us. Night all. I’m done.

180. Brandie says:

Agreed, Luckster.

181. JRay3 says:

Even on a pitch out McKenry throws into outfield….the scouting report will have every team running on him whenever he starts, time to rethink the backup catcher position.

Five SB’s just unacceptable at this level.

182. Patrick(ri) says:

Too bad the Brewers didn’t go to the AL. They flat-out humiliate the Pirates.

I love Fort to death…but he’s gotta get those throws DOWN!

Welcome back.

Glad to see my “manager” here. ;)

Brandie is my PR machine. ;)

I think I am out again……… feeling a bit cold over here…… not feeling the game………… Brewers curse alive and well

Hippo back out………… maybe back later.

185. Brandie says:

Really lets the air out of the balloon.

Maybe we need replacement umps?
    Couldnt be any worse……….

I think I am heading back out.
    Cold over here…….. and this game isnt helping.

Hippo out………. maybe back later.

Manager is pissed at some Pirates Grrrr!

:yawn:

189. Sorry for the negativity, Jandy. It’s a coping mechanism for me. I just can’t believe they are letting this hack of a pitcher shut them down like this. Have a good evening.

190. KenKopp says:

Anybody heard about Grilli’s situation?

Steve, bottom line is, we all need to send good vibes so the guys do better.

192. Chuck H says:

Hey Pirates, Estrada has a 6. ERA, so you ought to be able to hit him. Apparently,
    everybody else does. What is it with Milwaukee that they are so hard to beat for the Bucs. We handle most of the other teams pretty well, even the Cards and Giants. So come on
    and get some hits and runs. You’re home now-not at Miller Park. Show those Brewers
    that we can beat them. GO BUCS!!!

You tell ‘em Chuck…let’s hit this clown, boys!

194. Officer Mancuso says:

I can’t say enough good things about Burnett, so let me praise my #1 point tonight. After 2 innings, he’d struck out four, given up 1 earned run, and tossed a ton of pitches. He then went into “go late into the game mode to rest the pen, even if it requires giving up a run or two. Then he went late into a reasonably scored game with a modest pitch count. If the PBC ditches this man when his Steinbrenner subsidy expires, they deserve whayever befalls them. Keep Burnett in the organization.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????!!!!!!

WTH Gaby! What did AJ ever do to you?

198. Brandie says:

Sometimes you have it, sometimes it has you.

Ha! maybe Steve was right eh?

200. Officer Mancuso says:

“Whayever” is a technical term used by people who drink vodka while watching baseball.

201. Ermine says:

They cant pick up the damn ball.

what about wine??? ;)

203. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Looks like a bad night for the Bucs…..Yikes!

204. Brandie says:

I think McKenry could use a hug.

205. Patrick(ri) says:

OK, is this one amusing or excruciating? Both? A wacko year, for certain.

206. Ermine says:

I lost count…how many stolen bases is that now. Sanchez cant be that bad. Everyone was yelling for Mercer.

207. Officer Mancuso says:

Less typos, more hangover.

208. Brandie says:

The word of the night, according to Steve Glass, is “quirky”.

209. KenKopp says:

Worst game I’ve seen The Fort play. Hope he gets a chance to make up for it.

210. Ermine says:

As in Tony..I forgot how many Sanchez boys there are lol. Speaking of which..Nice double Gabby.

211. Reading says:

This game is not up to the high quality standards that we’ve come to expect.

212. Patrick(ri) says:

Since the Brewers have only reaped 4 runs from this fiasco, the game is still on, if we can drive in Gabby.

213. Ermine says:

At least they got him in.

I bet…and I’d like to…errr…n/m ;X

Down girl!!! ;)

Sometime the way Blass talks, I believe he has a full Glass. ;)

I will not fault AJ for any of his losses this year.
    He has pitched well in every game, and is upset when he loses.

His run support this year has been awful.
    This lineup had its ups and doens, mainly downs when AJ pitches.

The Cardinals and Reds have used the Brewers for batting practice this past week.
    They come into PNC, and its like the Bucs forget how to play.

This leads me to believe it is 100% mental regarding the Brewers.

218. Ermine says:

Two hits for Barmes

219. Officer Mancuso says:

No MLB team wins every game. This team has won more than I expected, given a schedule front loaded with tough opponents. They need to win a series from the Brewers.

220. MadTurk says:

I did indeed Brandie, Thanks

221. Ermine says:

At this point I think a split might be a moral victory.

lol ;)

amazing

Get his HOF bust ready!!!!! ;)

226. Officer Mancuso says:

My sports anthem: whatever you’re trying to do, leave it all on the field.

I will spare the Pond area my thoughts on this lineup……….
    dont want to lob any grenades…… Hippos do not like grenades!

228. Ermine says:

Good Night. Get em tomorrow

Sigh. Curse of the Brewers.

In other news,
    Rags beating Craps 3-0.

Maple Loafs gagged a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period, and they are in OT with the Bruins.

And the gag is complete.

Boston scored the last 4 goals of the game, and won 5-4.

231. tdb1977 says:

After watching this game at the park tonight, he deserves to ride some time on the pine. Hopefully Martin will be back tomorrow. Otherwise, I can only imagine the Brewers going 10 for 10 on stolen bases when they were 6 for 6 tonight.

232. tdb1977 says:

My wife came out and said as soon as we got back to the car and had a chance to thaw out, this is all mental on them. As soon as they had the 3 hits for the first 3 guys up, the energy from the stadium was gone and they looked absolutely flat. It was completely dishearten to watch them go through the motions like they did tonight.

233. twentytwo22 says:

Men against boys. The Pirates are a little league team and the Brewers have the combination of Murderer’s Row, Maddox-Glavine-Smoltz, the Nasty Boys, the ’85 Cardinals, Rays D, all under the stewardship of Tony LaRussa.

Props to the first Pirate to show any balls against that VERY ORDINARY team. Onfield performance, onfield fight, post-game comments. I’ll take any display of defiance.

We should not be that team’s get-well series. Ever.

Start using my :yawn: to shut them up ;)