Final: Pirates 4, Brewers 3, 12 innings

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (21-17) vs. Milwaukee Brewers (16-20)

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. RHP Kyle Lohse

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  7. Russell Martin, C
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Locke, LHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page.

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

TODAY’S LINE

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

Total STOLEN BASES by the Brewers in tonight’s game.
    Line is 1.5

Good Luck!!

2. Kevin says:

I probably missed it.. but did someone explain why the pirates really sucked last night against the brew-crew? How they basically stole bases at will? How our 8th guy was the first to get a hit off their starter? Is that summed up somewhere?

3. tdb1977 says:

Good line. With Martin back in, he should hopefully cut down on the 6 for 6 we saw last night. I’m going to be a scrooge today and beat 5 rupies on the over tonight. Sorry Playoffs for given such a horrible beat, but this line is too hard to predict this evening.

4. Kevin says:

I’ll go 50 on the over. And wait for someone to reply to my post lower down.

5. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

100 on Under

6. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Nice to see Martin back in…as long as his head is attached to his neck, he needs to be out there after last nights fiasco.

7. Dom says:

Grilli might not be available tonight. Reportedly dealing with family issues.

8. Dom says:

100 OVER

9. radio wave says:

at playoffs: I will take 50 on the under for tonight’s line. Thanks.

That was last night unless the same situation is repeating

11. radio wave says:

I think this lineup is the best one the Bucs can put out right now. Good enough to beat the Crew?

Oh, and last night he was back by 6th inning

13. cmat0829 says:

Yes! I love the Fort, and all he represents, but I can’t watch him at this point… at least for a few nights my eyes need a break.

14. cmat0829 says:

I am going to have to wager 100 units on OVER. Roenicke, who like every Brewer, I just HATE…. is going to run at will until we prove we can stop them. And even though Martin is a MLB Catcher (and Fort is not, sadly), he is going to have to throw out 2 runners before Runnin’ Ron will put on the brakes.

15. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

It might be time for Tony Sanchez to come up and learn from Martin. I too am a fan of the Fort, but his defense is more of a hinder than anything.

16. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Agree, not sure about the dang Brewers though.

Well, whats the worst that can happen if I lose this bet again ;-)

100 on UNDAH

Thanks once again, Playoffs

Just wondering why Snider isn’t in the line-up?

The Fort might have become the Pirates poster child for the small sample size argument.

Guy looked great when he was slugging homeruns and just as bad defensively as the other awful catcher on the roster. Now, not so much.

I’d still hate to lose him from the organization since we all know how often catchers break, but it seems hard not to think Sanchez is the better backup at this point.

20. Ghost says:

He’s still on the Snide.

21. TCB says:

50 on the over.

+ 1

23. Dom says:

That’s odd. I just heard it on the radio about a ½ hour before posting.

24. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I agree. So much was said about Barajas’ lack of defense last year that he made it seem a little bit better.

Read my mind, Biz. Anyone else getting the deja vu feeling from Clint Hurdle?

Lets see…Travis Snider hits well for about a month, gets kind’ve injured, says he’s all better, yet still loses half his playing time. This is 2012 all over again, folks.

In 2012 he posted a .271/.360/.375 slash line over his first 111 PA, missed 5 games, pinch hit in the next 4, then only got starts in 6 of the last 13 games.

In 2013 he posted a .305/.388/.424 slash line over his first 67 PA, missed 3 games, pinch hit in the next 3, then got 6 starts in the next 10 games.

That’s almost too similar to believe. I don’t particularly have a problem with Tabata starting over him. I think they’re close to being the same player at this point.

What I don’t get is why Hurdle thinks either of them will thrive in this role. When has EITHER player EVER thrived in a part time role? I truly don’t get it.

26. Pucknutz says:

100 OVER

27. cmat0829 says:

I really think that Clint is giving all 3 competing for the spot (remember, Gaby Sanchez can play 1b and Jones play RF) a chance to step up and claim the full-time job…. in the spring, it looked like Gaby at 1B and Jones in RF (with Tabby spotting him against Lefties) was going to be the plan, but then Snider got off to a great start and Clint rode with the hot bat. Now that Snider has cooled somewhat, he is giving Tabby and Gaby some games against RHPs (Gaby started yesterday vs. the inexiplicably tough against the Bucs Estrada) to see if one of them can step forward….

I like it, for many reasons…competition is good; someone might claim the job and rediscover their potential to be impact players (taby/gaby/snider all have that); and if nothing else, it keeps all players sharp and contributing vs. just straight platoons.

I personally think Tabby’s plate approach has been great..and Gaby has been really productive… Snider to me is the weakest of the 3.

28. Lad9 says:

100 on the over please Mr Playoffs. Thank you. Go Buccos!

29. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Tabata is a career 10 for 21 against Lohse.

30. Sisyphus says:

Tabata owns Lohse, hitting somewhere around .450 – .500 against him.

31. OZ says:

100 under, thx

32. cmat0829 says:

Fort is fine ’1-day a week’ backup catcher and good character guy for the clubhouse… that’s all he is. I don’t think that is a good role for Sanchez… at this point, he either plays well enough to become the starting catcher (and he isn’t there yet) or he keeps trying in AAA.

I don’t see that happening in 2013, chemistry and karma are too important to jettison the Fort in a pennant race. But the clock is ticking…in 2014, I see only 2 scenarios if Sanchez is indeed gonna play for the Bucs at all in his career… 1) he is the starting catcher and Martin is traded away 2) he is the backup but plays 30% of the time or more with Martin getting more starts at 3B/1B etc.

33. cmat0829 says:

Cool, again, no one can really complain about what combination of Tabby/Gaby/Shabby (I mean Snider) are played…either do it based on past performance or to give all a chance to contribute, c’est la vie.

34. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Bucs didn’t hit and didn’t field well at all.
    Couple times they got fly balls deep to the warning track, but not much else.

AJ’s slow delivery + The Fort’s arm = A base-stealing bonanza

I understand the idea of competion, except Sanchez has always sucked against RHP (.710 career OPS), Tabby has sucked against everyone for the last year and a half, and neither Snider or Tabby have responded well to part time roles in the past.

Does not make any sense to me to pull Sniders playing time 100 PA into the season. He’s far from a black hole in the lineup.

Give one of them, any of them, a legit chance and quit playing musical chairs.

36. Ghost says:

He’s not at all shabby, but that was funny! (And if this were last year, Tabby would be “Flabby.”)

37. cmat0829 says:

It seems to me Clint has probably settled on a platoon in both spots with the occasional chance for Tabby/Gaby against select RHPs…nothing wrong with that. Snider isn’t going to play everyday anyway as he will sit vs. lefties…. given that, and the occasional ‘ride the hot hand’ start or ‘hunch’ start, this is what it will be, or as you term it ‘musical chairs’.

38. cmat0829 says:

Ha! OK, amended to Tabby/Gaby/NotTooShabby.

39. cmat0829 says:

And Clint is “Blabby”.

40. Ghost says:

41. Naje says:

Hit 5 balls to the wall… Walker twice, Cutch, Sanchez and someone else…

42. JaxBuc says:

Please sir, may I have 25 Martins on the UNDER. You can’t steal bases if no-one gets on base, right? Jeff Locke and the pen will see to that.

43. JaxBuc says:

Any news at all on the the seriousness of the Grilli family issue?

44. Naje says:

NMR et al…. before going crazy on Hurdle for lineups every day, please check baseball-reference.com for splits v. a specific pitcher. Here are the PBC hitters splits against Loshe:

Lohse vs. Pirates: Alvarez 5-18, Barmes 2-11, Inge 9-27, Jones 6-25, Martin 2-6, McCutchen 9-27, McDonald 3-10, McKenry 2-5, Sanchez 1-7, Snider 1-3, Tabata 10-21, Walker 8-20

Yeah, let’s bury Tabata’s 10-21 so we can play Snider’s 1-3. Great call.

45. Naje says:

NMR…. a Snider-Tabata platoon right now is pretty darn good… they get on base and they score runs. And when you have a guy hitting nearly .500 in 21 at bats with a double, triple and HR v. a pitcher, you play him.

46. cmat0829 says:

Is it just me, or do you guys notice that Cutch is back into the “pull the ball all the time” black hole? I’m hoping to be wrong, but in the Mets series the announcers kept saying how Cutch “just missed” his pitch and the result was sky-high flyouts to left field or popouts to shortstop or 3B…. we NEED Cutch to be a catalyst in this offense… great news is we are MUCH less dependent on him than in years past, but I really want to see Cutch hitting it hard to RF/CF pronto.

47. Playoffs by 2012 says:

That ball just would not carry out last night.

48. JD says:

50 over please.

Go Bucs!

Before going crazy on Baseball Reference, look up the definition of small sample sizes, Chief.

You mean the platoon that Hurdle was using pre-injury, right? The one I’m suggesting he return to using.

Because a platoon is nothing near what has been used since April 24.

51. Naje says:

Hey chief…try telling that to every MLB manager. If you know baseball, you know how valuable success, no matter how small, vs a specific pitcher is. Ok… so, keep that in mind. That doesn’t come from me… that comes from every manager in baseball.

52. Naje says:

great stuff coach NMR… you don’t Snider a job just wishing he does well. You put him and your team in the situation that will best give them an opportunity to win. If that’s platooning them or playing matchups, you do it. Snider isn’t good enough right now to get 500 at bats in RF, at least that’s what these starting lineups are saying.

I’m sure when Snider turns up with a 5 for 11 or 10 for 21 history against a certain pitcher, he’ll start. Get over the sample sizes and realize the value of every experience v. every pitcher in the majors.

Every manager in baseball refers to them. Every day. Every game. Every matchup. They know what a Player X does against Pitcher Y. Every game, every at bat.

Oh, you’ve spoken to them, eh?

I’ll keep that in mind next time.

What a ridiculous statement.

54. Kevin says:

Thanks Mr. Playoffs, sir!

Did you read anything I wrote?

I’m not wishing anything on Snider, and certainly not 500 at-bats.

My only suggestion was that he be used in a patoon, like you said.

That has not happened since his injury. This isn’t complicated.

56. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Alright peeps. I’m heading out before the daily argument breaks out in earnest.
    Catch you all tomorrow.
    Go Bucs!!

57. Naje says:

I believe there were three times since his injury that that may have happened… and in all three instances, this being the third, Tabata has had really strong numbers v. that SP.

I would certainly take a straight platoon with these guys or a platoon-plus situation that leans on favorable matchups as well as lefty-righty situation.

58. Nate83 says:

Be patient young grasshopper. It will come. Baseball is a tough sport to stay locked in. He is too good of a hitter with too good of hands and bat speed to not finish every year batting at least .290. Before you know it he will be hitting line drives to every part of the field. I just hope there is a legitimate 4th and 5th batter behind him when it happens to either make teams pitch to him or make them pay for pitching around him.

59. Nate83 says:

Ummmmm………..before. The platoon discussion above doesn’t count as an argument?

I am willing to argue with you about that being arguement but it will have to wait as I am heading home as soon as I hit the submit comment button.

Thanks for running the window playoffs. It is appreciated.

Brandon Inge is 9-27 with 2 HR and a 1030 OPS against Lohse.

Why isn’t he playing? Every manager plays the odds every game!!!!!!!

61. stickyweb says:

Playoffs,
    100 on the UNDER please. Thanks.

62. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the window…time for the Battlin Buccos to shake this funk against the Brew Crew.

Scary line tonight so I am going to tread cautiously. Left handed pitcher coupled with Martin’s return I think aids the Bucs in this department.

50 on the UNDER

Thanks and Go Bucs!

Take a peek at the article that just went up on Fangraphs. You’ll know which one. I promise I’m not the author.

Then go back to baseball reference and see that half of Tabby’s hits came in 2010, when Tabby was actually good.

64. Frankie says:

Give me 100 on the under

65. JUCOFan says:

$100 on the under. Perfect game tonight. You heard it here first!

Interesting stuff about that Valdespin of the Mets. Sounds like a wonderful teammate

DK: This is the guy Bryan Morris plunked, right?

67. Ghost says:

Sounds like a self-centered twerp. If he were a Pirate, he’d probably get beaned by our own #34.

68. Joey Mellons says:

100 on the under.

69. Ermine says:

100 over please

70. Brandie says:

100 on the over please Dear Mr. Playoffs.

71. Karen22 says:

100 on the UNDER. GO MARTIN! (Glad to have him back).

PS: I HATE the Brewers!

72. Frankie says:

Is this a guess or do you know?

73. Karen22 says:

It’s just the Brewers. Pirates SUCK against the Brewers. Always.

50 on the UNDER, please.

Yep

Heard on the Fan that since 2008 the Pirates have lost 2 of 3 at PNC against the Brewers.

77. I think Cryin’ Bryan gave some of his stash to Segura. Come on Locke. Bare down.

78. Sorry, Cryin’ Ryan.

If I’m not too late 100 Over please

80. Here we go boys! Everyone hits!!

81. Ermine says:

Get the runner in

82. JRay3 says:

Tabata now 9-19 in month of May, .473.

Ball had no carry for Cutch who barreled that up pretty good.

83. Ermine says:

New ballgame

84. JRay3 says:

Nice to answer right back.

85. Dadtackular says:

100 under

86. Got the run back. 1-1 new ballgame. Come on Walker. How about a hit here.

87. Those damp conditions again. Hopefully tomorrow will be different. He also hit it to the wrong part of the field, but at least it wasn’t pulled as much as he usually does. He’ll get one sooner or later – hopefully tonight.

88. JRay3 says:

Squaring up a lot of balls that are just a few feet from getting out of park…Cutch and Alvarez both hit them well.

89. Brandie says:

Gotta match them stroke for stroke. Can’t play scared.

90. Ermine says:

Cutch looked like he got all of it and it didn’t carry..Alverez looked like a medium fly ball that did ???

91. The other thing that may be countering these shots by the Bucs is the high arcs of the hits themselves. If they were more on a line drive trajectory, we may be seeing a lot of homeruns last night and tonight. just my thought though. Anyone else seeing it that way?

92. A couple brush back pitches on those guys may help as well. Through some weight around on these Brewers.

93. Ermine says:

I’m not sure what I’m seeing. Both balls fooled me in the opposite way.

94. Ermine says:

Locke looks sharp. Just made one bad pitch that cost him big time.

95. Brandie says:

Play big and be big.

96. Ermine says:

Barmes it hottt lol

97. JRay3 says:

11-24 since May 4th, .458.

98. Ermine says:

He takes a lot of abuse.

99. Brandie says:

He gets it done quietly.

100. Ermine says:

Can’t waste a lead off double. Get him in.

101. JRay3 says:

Tabata looks like a different player this year, would not surprise me at all if he reclaims RF at some point this year. Nice double to start.

102. Ermine says:

Tabby owns Loshe

103. Patrick(ri) says:

Nobody but Tabata.

104. 2-1 good guys in the Pens game, but now 2-1 bad guys in this game with two doubles in the inning.

Heads up play by Pedro to get Gomez at second.

106. Ermine says:

Get the run back

108. Brandie says:

These Bucs are going to have these tight battles from time to time. I am just hoping they don’t lay down and give up tonight.

109. Ermine says:

They need to get over the Brewers hump. It’s almost beyond belief how they play against them.

110. I remember back when the Brewers first came into the National League, they almost like the Pirates in that they could not beat us – at least not at PNC Park. I wish it were back to that time frame.

111. Locke seems flustered by taking that ball off the ankle. He needs to find it again and keep this to a 1 run deficit. Now as I type, they get another run cause Walker can’t field that ball cleanly. 3-1 now.

112. Go cry back to the bench Braun. Nice throw by Russell.

113. Ermine says:

Braun turns my stomach

114. Third time for the lineup, lets get back on the hit parade and get some runs!

115. Patrick(ri) says:

The Mets, Brewers, and lately, the Pirates, look to be pretty lousy teams.

116. Brandie says:

Minus the extreme amount of losses.

117. Walker slowing up going into second and that kept him from scoring on that gap double by Russell. Come on Barmes! Bull call at first. Barmes looked to beat that throw. Run at least scores, and now it is 3-2.

118. He was barely out, but it also looked like the ball went off the pitcher’s glove enough to keep the ball from going into the outfield. Come on Gaby!

119. Reading says:

I blame the black softball jerseys and lame alternate caps they’ve been wearing lately.

120. Patrick(ri) says:

Locke deserves a break. Marte is my choice for the guy who can do it.

121. JRay3 says:

Can’t ask for much more from Barmes there, Segura with much range robs him of hit.

Need Marte to come up big here.

122. Ermine says:

Starling has been a Star..let’s hope he continues…. Just a hit please

123. JRay3 says:

The Pirates are just not cashing in on their chances, they have to find a way to break through on this team.

124. 8-PH-1 for them this inning, then 2-3-4 for us, so they need to get back in and get some hits together to take the lead. I believe they need to stop trying to hit the game tying homerun all the time and just HIT the ball. If it goes far enough to get over the fence, great, but at least do something to get on base.

125. [Chanting] Runs! Runs! Runs! Runs!

126. Baseball Gods owe us some. Come on Cutch!

127. Again too high of an arc. Cutch can’t catch any breaks these last two games.

128. Reading says:

Can somebody hit the ball, please?

129. Parrothead01 says:

Must be nice having an all star outfielder that actually gets hits.

130. Ermine says:

If we keep saying it it might happen…Get some runs!

131. Ermine says:

Axford can be had, this could be a blessing

132. JRay3 says:

Alright, lead off single, need to string a few more AB’s together. Starts with you Pedro.

133. Pedro needs to come through here. Come on Bull!

134. Pedro swings at ball 4 and Ks for the third time tonight.

135. Reading says:

Liking Martin more and more.

136. JRay3 says:

Martin! Walker was stumbling and bumbling but made it home….tied up!

137. Martin comes through, and the relay is way over the head of the catcher to score the tying run. Nice gamble.

138. Ermine says:

Martinnnnnnnnn !!!!

139. Why do you swing at the FIRST PITCH Barmes?

140. Reading says:

12 not so much.

141. JRay3 says:

Urgh Barmes just needed to get ball in air. Time for some two out magic.

142. JRay3 says:

That 2-0 pitch to Snider was same pitch that Alvarez struck out on.

143. Reading says:

Swing with a purpose, lunch box.

144. Ermine says:

Ugh

145. Reading says:

So much for that. Great clutch AB there.

146. At least they got one run, but these guys need to start determining when the pitch is ball 4 and stop swinging at it. 3-3 going into the 9th, for probably Mazzaro.

147. 0 for 10 with runners in scoring position tonight. See if we can improve on that tonight and the next several games.

148. 0 for 12 now that Greg Brown corrected himself.

149. Ermine says:

It didn’t workout so well, last time Grilli came in with the score tied.

150. Ermine says:

Much better, this time :)

151. The Grill Master Ks the side. Come on top of the order. All we need is one.

152. JRay3 says:

Grilli disposes the Brewers quickly and easily with a K, K, and for good measure another K. Let’s get him a run top of the order and make him a winner.

153. Welcome to those keeping up with the Winning Pens (4-1 victory). Bucs hopefully will follow with a walk off!!

Is this Figaro guy related to the barber of Seville?? ;)

155. Thanks to the Ump calling that foul as Tabata comes through with a double. Get him in now Cutch, your do!!

156. JRay3 says:

TABATA! Smoked that ball to right center gap, double in scoring position, bring him home.

157. Patrick(ri) says:

Nobody but Tabata!

158. Since they’re walking Cutch, come on Jonesy!!

159. Ermine says:

Jones time

Tabby’s starting to look like 2010. But someone needs to teach him how to do the Z correctly. :-)

161. JRay3 says:

Don’t look now but 3-4 day has Tabata at .299, showing life like he did rookie year.

162. Patrick(ri) says:

Hate to say it, but I would pitch around Jones . . .

* groan*

164. Anything but a freakin DP.

165. Patrick(ri) says:

That’s why I never managed.

166. Ermine says:

The shift bite them in the ass.

167. JRay3 says:

Jones can’t sting the ball any harder than that, hit right into the shift.

168. Ermine says:

bit*

169. tdb1977 says:

Please don’t be the 19 inning game for the year! Lets avoid that this year, please.

170. Patrick(ri) says:

Tough luck, but Jones has been our best rbi guy.

171. Ermine says:

Bite your tongue :P

172. Dom says:

I’d rather lose a 9 inning game than win an 18 inning one.

173. JRay3 says:

OK Melancon gets through the Brewers heart of the order, let’s finish this off now.

174. tdb1977 says:

Exactly. Get the work done in the first 9 so there is no need to play longer. Saves everyone for later in the season.

175. Patrick(ri) says:

Time for Pedro to earn his scholarship.

176. Ermine says:

It’s time.

177. Pedro is due and bats second. Get on for him Walker!

178. tdb1977 says:

Okay Pedro – move him over or bring him in.

179. JRay3 says:

The Pirates are last team in majors to play an extra inning game this year. By contrast the Brewers are playing their fourth.

I will take an 18 inning win any day.

180. They should have bunted Pedro there. Luck the error occurred or it would have been two.

181. Ermine says:

Hard slide????

182. tdb1977 says:

If Martin puts it where he did this time where he did last at bat – no way Pedro makes it from first to home without running out of gas.

183. Not called an error, but definitely a defensive miscue.

184. Pedro lucked out on that steal, but way to stay on the bag!! Bring him home Martin.

185. JRay3 says:

How about some heads up running by Alvarez taking the chance and making it…hit now may bring him in.

186. Patrick(ri) says:

More than one way to justify a scolarship.

I thought sure Pedro was out, but on replay Weeks missed the tag.

188. tdb1977 says:

A Barmes home run here?

189. Ermine says:

Be a hero Clint

190. JRay3 says:

0-15 with RISP, at some point you have to cash in…too many chances going for naught.

Oh oh, Mazzaro in.

192. 0 for 21 if you add in the 0 for 6 last night. Something has to change.

If they would have cut McDonald and kept Mercer there wouldn’t have been this delay.

194. Patrick(ri) says:

What is the record?

195. Got me, I’m mainly just relaying the telecast info for now. Good questions, though.

196. JRay3 says:

Five shutout innings turned in by bullpen, offense get them a well deserved win, time to punch one home.

197. Ermine says:

Who will be the hero? Starling?

198. Patrick(ri) says:

Why not McDonald? Been that kind of week.

199. McDonald should go out and Punch Braun dead in the face for catching that ball.

200. Patrick(ri) says:

If it were not for Braun . . .

201. Ermine says:

I can’t believe that

202. JRay3 says:

That is the third time this season, McDonald has been robbed of an extra base hit. Just snake bitten.

203. Unless it is a crushed line drive, no homeruns are going to happen tonight. Gap shots!

204. JRay3 says:

Awesome , Inge forced in at SS and bobbles play.

205. Ermine says:

He looks like he’s drugged up those eyes are just creepy

206. Ermine says:

Braun i mean

207. Take that Cryin! Get some runs now 3-4-5!!!!

208. JRay3 says:

Mazzaro forces Mr. PED into inning ending DP….how about Cutch walk off, one swing is all it takes.

209. CUTCH!!!!!!! 4-3 in 12!!!!

210. JRay3 says:

Just what I was talking about!!!

Now THAT is how you win a game!

212. Patrick(ri) says:

Nice call.

213. Liner to right-center too!!

He was due, he’s been close a lot lately.

215. Ermine says:

Raise It!

216. JRay3 says:

Behind six shutout innings turned in by the Pirates bullpen, a key 8th inning RBI from Russell Martin and a walk off HR by Andrew McCutchen the Bucs earn a come from behind victory downing the Brewers 4-3 in 12 innings to even the series and there was nooooooooooooo doubt about it!

With the win the Pirates are back to a season best five games above .500 at 22-17, 7-5 in May. The Bucs will look to make it two straight tomorrow might when Wandy Rodriguez toes the rubber for the Pirates.

Let’s Go Bucs!

217. JRay3 says:

Finally no arc, he was due…hitting the ball very well without much to show for it, but clutch when it counted.

218. Eric Bowser says:

Did I really just see that.. a bomb from Andrew McCutchen to win it?

Pirates have 2 of 3 from Milwaukee….

No long losing streaks.

220. Patrick(ri) says:

Anybody watch mlb network trio assessing Pirates after walkoff? Consensus: 86-76. Host guy is very pro -Pirates.

221. JRay3 says:

Wish I would have seen it, high praise for sure, team could make this a very interesting summer.

At about the 10th inning, the thought came into my mind: If this game goes long, wouldn’t it better if Mercer was available to pinch-hit as opposed to McDonald?

223. Ermine says:

You probably got your wish..McDonald left the ame with lower back problems. Mercer will probably be back.

224. tomp says:

Maybe now the Pirates get a break and can DL McDonald for awhile.

I figure he hurt himself either with the swing, or throwing his helmet back into the stall.

Either way, they should not waste a second, by bringing Mercer back up, and DL John McDonald.

Was it McDonald or Barmes that left with the injury?

And is there a rule that if a player is sent back to the minors they can’t be recalled to the majors for at least 10 days?

226. twentytwo22 says:

Props to Russell Martin. Now beat Al Lardo and clinch a split like they’ve been doing.

Any truth to the rumor that NH saw McDonald throw his helmet and phoned down to the dugout and told them to have McDonald come up with the popular ‘phantom injury’?

:-)

228. tomp says:

If they win tomorrow , which is a big fat If, when is the last time they won 2 in a row against the Brauns?.

Nice win though!, and this Mazzaro guys seems to be pitching a lot better since he got rid of that wolfman look he had been sporting.

‘Third base coach Nick Leyva waved Walker home.’

RB quickly got the game story on the Trib’s web site. But he may want to double-check that part.

Yeah, I wondered if Nick would have waved him home had he been in there.

231. florida pirate says:

Travelling from Florida for four games!!!

Couldn’t have been more than 200 people in the stands at the end of that game

Pedro is horrible…rally killer…nowhere near making contact

Cutch is just awesome…covers so much ground out in center

Tabata appears to jog after balls hit to him

Our pitching, man, is solid

Stay tuned for more reports, lol

232. Ghost says:

Just saw the recap on MLB Network. Man, you weren’t kidding about those stands being empty. In the first when Segura hit it out, it didn’t look like there was a soul out there in the left-field stands.

233. florida pirate says:

Its pretty pathetic…there are fantastic seats for five dollars this week….