Final: Pirates 3, Brewers 1

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (22-17) vs. Milwaukee Brewers (16-21)

Starters: LHP Wandy Rodriguez vs. RHP Yovani Gallardo

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Jose Tabata, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Gaby Sanchez, 1B
  5. Neil Walker, 2B
  6. Russell MartinC
  7. Brandon Inge, 3B
  8. Jordy Mercer, SS
  9. Rodriguez, LHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. Rob Biertempfel is on the job.

Comments

1. Playoffs by 2012 says:

TODAY’S PICK ‘EM LINE

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

How many WALKS will Wandy Rodriguez issue to Brewers batters in tonight’s game?
    0-1 (DOUBLE ODDS)
    2-3 (EVEN ODDS)
    4 or More (EVEN ODDS)

Good Luck!!

2. tdb1977 says:

With the hard line from last night out of the way, I’ll do 95 rupies on line 1 for tonight. He is going tell the Brewers batters to STFD!

3. Playoffs by 2012 says:

95 on 0-1, correct?

4. SlackBoss says:

Nice to see Jordy playing tonight. It is always interesting to see how Hurdle handles these situations. I am sure his answer to why Jordy is playing and he is sitting a hot Barmes will be ‘I want to get him involved right away’. And yes – I said a hot Barmes. Anytime he has more than two hits in a week it seems like he is really stroking the ball.

5. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Playoffs

What are the totals looking like?

6. The Gunner says:

John McDonald goes on the DL. Probably the 1st step to becoming another former Bucco.

7. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

100 on the 0-1 please

8. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Not a bad thing.

9. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Haven’t updated them in awhile.
    Been stupid busy with work and the new house.
    I’ll update them completely this weekend and post them then.
    Sorry about that.

Speaking of, Jonathan Sanchez nearing a deal with the Dodgers. Yeah, him.

Please don’t ask that ;-)

Wandy hurls a gem

100 on 0 – 1

Thanks, Playoffs

To all others, just sayin, I picked line 1 so if you are smart,

You will go elsewhere tonight ;-)

13. tdb1977 says:

Correct playoffs!

14. Playoffs by 2012 says:

You got it!!

15. The Gunner says:

Sounds like the Dodgers must need a batting practice pitcher

16. The Gunner says:

I am for letting Mercer play and Barmes becoming an expensive utility man

17. That speaks to their injury situation, doesn’t it?

Jon Heyman says he signed a minor league deal with Dodgers

19. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Alright peeps, back to work for me.
    Good luck and enjoy the game tonight!!

20. JaxBuc says:

Please sir, may I have 25 pesos on line 1 (0 to 1 BB)
    AND
    25 pesos on line 2 (2 to 3 BB)

21. blazer says:

100 on the 2-3 line please

22. Nate83 says:

No worries man. We appreciate all the work you put into running and keeping track of this. We can wait.

23. I don’t know if anyone in the world besides me looks at minor league boxscores, etc., but Indy’s last night was interesting.

Garrett Cole got the win in a 10-4 whipping of Buffalo, but gave up 3 dingers in the process, one to none other than Andy LaRoche, who is sitting in the .290′s with 6 homers and 21 RBI. Talk about a AAAA guy.

Then, Tony Sanchez misses the cycle by a triple and is in the .290′s with 3 HR and 15 RBI. Hopefully not a AAAA guy.

This afternoon, Indy has 11 runs and 13 hits through 5.1 innings and former Pirate for a minute, Chad Beck is pitching for Buffalo. Felix Pie is 4 for 4 to “raise” his BA to .255.

24. Nate83 says:

If you told me before the season started the the Dodgers would pick up a starting pitcher we released because he was just that bad I would have thought you needed to be checked into a mental hospital or that I was placed in a time machine and sent back to 1992.

As it did to ours.

26. Nate83 says:

I like Pie. I hope he gets that average up a little higher. He may have a little value as being thrown in as a piece of a trade. Not the main piece but something that may intrigue another team that we can afford to give up because of our outfield depth.

Really interesting line tonight (as usual). Juan D has 7 starts this year, with 5 of the 7 having 0-1 walks. One had 2 and one 4. The twist is the 4 was in his only start against the Brewers.

I’m going to ignore Biz’s advice and go with

100 on the 0-1.

28. DeJesus is another one. Has a high average and hit real well in winter ball. He’ll have a hard time cracking any lineup in the Burgh, but might make a good trade piece.

29. Kevin says:

Sanchez/Inge instead of Jones/Alvarez…does Huirdle realize we have the lefty going tonight, not the Brewers?

30. stickyweb says:

Biz puts us in a tough position, either go with his pick or take his advice. Neither is too appealing ;-)

I’ll try to double up on the 2 to 1 odds

100 on the 0-1 line

Thanks playoffs

31. Naje says:

Does Kevin realize that Alvarez is 0 for 15 with 8 Ks v. Gallardo? And that Sanchez and Inge both hit Gallardo much better than Jones and Alvarez….?

Sometimes there’s a method to the madness… actually, there’s always a reason.

32. Dom says:

100 on 4 or more.

Pie started out really slow. He was hitting around .100 for a while.

I like him too.

Much better? Sanchez has hit Gallardo much better than Jones? You have got to be kidding me.

35. JRay3 says:

Good afternoon to the Window, perfect day to extend the winning steak against a division rival.

Enticing line tonight throwing out double odds on a feat the Wandy Rodriguez has accomplished in five of his seven starts. However as pointed out by Arriba Wilver, Rodriguez did walk four in his only appearance to the Brewers. Couple that with heavy public action on 0-1 and this has the makings of a trick line. Play it safe here.

50 on 2-3 walks for Wandy Rodriguez

Thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

He’s 6’2″. Talk about the sky is blue and the grass is shorter after you cut it . . .

:-D

37. JRay3 says:

Sanchez – .368 AVG/ .632 SLG in 19 AB’s

Jones – .238 AVG/.238 SLG in 21 AB’s

Evidence does support much better.

38. Naje says:

Sanchez- 7 for 19, 2 2B, HR, BB – .368/.400/.632/1.032

Jones – 5 for 21 (5 singles) w an OPS of .686

Allow me to amend that statement: Sanchez has produced much better results than Jones v. Gallardo.

39. Ghost says:

Well if TDB is wagering rupees, then I’ll put down some of the following mystery currency:

50 DJF on 2-3 walks

Much obliged.

I was waiting for that……and you didn’t disappoint me.

Oh, I forgot this :-)

42. Naje says:

A big part of our problem v. the Brewers is that Jones is 18 for 98 (.184 w a .562 OPS) in 108 plate appearances against them and Alvarez is 14 for 78 (.179 w a .559 OPS) in 84 plate appearances against them.

If Jones and Alvarez could hit against the Brewers, that would do wonders for our win-loss record head to head against them.

43. Ermine says:

Facts are pesky things , aren’t they.

20 AB’s. You guys are serious or just trolling? 20 AB’s?

Gaby has over 1100 AB’s against righties. Jones has over 1500. Jones’ OPS is 142 points higher. ONE HUNDRED FORTY TWO.

Gallardo is a very good right handed pitcher.

Yet 2 more hits in just 20 AB’s is statistical grounds for starting?

That is simply wrong.

Fundemental misunderstanding of statistics. Period.

46. radio wave says:

at playoffs: I will take 75 on line 2. Thanks

47. radio wave says:

How desperate are they in LA?

48. radio wave says:

I read MILB.com everyday. Thanks for today’s game update.

49. radio wave says:

at Playoffs: To clarify my earler post, I am picking the 2-4 k’s.

Not JUST statistical. The reason I mentioned “Blink” is because there’s a gut reaction to this stuff. Know the statsi, be aware of them, but don’t be controlled by it. Can you explain the domination the Brewers have had over the Pirates since 2008? Me neither. Let the Manager manage.

51. Naje says:

And against this pitcher, Sanchez has an OPS of nearly .350 points higher… three hundred fifty.

Look, you can take these stats a lot of ways, but there’s a value in having success vs a specific pitcher. It’s a huge confidence lift for a hitter to know that they’ve had success against a certain pitcher. Seems like it might be worth, according to the stats, a good .150 OPS advantage. At least in this case.

Just yankin your chain there, NMR. I understand where you’re coming from statistically, but major league ballplayers and managers place a great deal of value on individual matchups. The more success you’ve had against a pitcher, the more opportunity for success is available. With one home run v. Gallardo, Jones could narrow the OPS gap considerably, but is it likely to come tonight? It’s a gamble, and some of these work and some don’t.

Hurdle’s just making the better play… and again, he weighs heavily the one on one matchups.

52. Ghost says:

“Yet 2 more hits in just 20 AB’s is statistical grounds for starting?”

Without getting too much into the middle of this debate, I would have to agree with this point. Larger sample size needed.

53. Naje says:

AW… a big part of the PBC’s lack of success v. the Brewers in the last three years is the lack of production from Jones and Alvarez against them.

54. JHadar says:

Wouldn’t be interesting if we get a chance to face him?

55. JRay3 says:

How does anyone argue Pedro being 0-15 against Gallardo, it is obvious he struggle albeit just 15 AB’s, he may just not pick up the ball well, Gallardo might just know exactly how to pitch to him.

In baseball there are always going to be some limited sample sizes. Alvarez may play a team like the Dodgers seven times a year, in six years that is 42 games of which he may see the same pitcher 8 times and garner 32 AB’s in six seasons.

Have to play the numbers sometimes and in this case I believe CH is justified in doing so.

AW, you haven’t been following our debate if you think that is what we’re arguing.

I’ve never once made the assumption that these matchup stats are the sole basis of Hurdle’s decision. That is the logic others have used.

I have absolutely no problem letting Hurdle make decisions based on ALL of the information he has. He’s the manager, I’m the fan.

What I ABSOLUTELY have a problem with is this notion that any kind of statistical justification can be used to support his decision given such an insignificant sample, especially when the overall body of work vastly overrules it.

There are a lot if assumptions going on here. The statistical argument is just one aspect of those assumptions.

58. JRay3 says:

@ NMR – Against some pitchers it will take years to even garner more than 20 AB’s against.

Law of averages define this game a lot. Fact is Sanchez in his sample has outperformed Jones in his sample. Can not find fault with a manager playing to that.

59. JHadar says:

I mentioned Sanchez a couple days ago when everybody else was on another topic and his stats weren’t as flashy as they are today: .294/.400/.518/.918 — maybe he’s (finally) over the after effects of that injury.

Cole is 3-1 with a 2.55 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP in 42 1/3 innings. Amazingly that puts him at about a C- in the pitching stats there.

“Against some pitchers it will take years to even garner more than 20 AB’s against.”

Which is EXACTLY why other factors should be considered. You’re completely missing the point if you don’t understand this part of my argument.

Platoon advantage is THE largest factor when determining a matchup.

Over 1000 big league at-bats have shown a large and distinct pattern with these two players, yet you’re chosing to ignore that.

JRay, Clint would be lying if he said Pedro’s general awfulness this year didn’t have as much, if not more to do with this decision.

I have been following the debate, and I do think that is what you are arguing. I also think that in this debate and otherwise you believe Clint is more of a problem than Neal, and it is coloring your view. Your last paragraph ignores the evidence, both in your post, and the statistics.

63. Frankie says:

Give me 50 on 2 to 3 walks…Thanks

64. Ghost says:

Let me say this about that: I agree!

That is simply false, AW.

You are the one who always has to chime in anytime I criticize Clint.

Your opinion is no clearer than mine.

Look in the mirror.

66. JRay3 says:

Not ignoring it, just prefer using the sample these specific players have achieved against “Said” pitcher.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, there is more than one way to look at statistics and baseball numbers.

I am just of the position CH is justified with the lineup he is putting out there tonight, and certainly when it comes to Pedro being on the bench.

?

I’ve stayed out of your and Naje’s debate until today. And he doesn’t need my help.

69. JRay3 says:

Prior to Pedro going 0-8 in this series versus Milwaukee he was coming off of three straight multi-hit games, 6-11 stretch.

Clint has to let Pedro play through it the majority of the time but also has to pick appropriate spots to spell him and use Inge.

Tonight is one of those appropriate spots as he has never hit Gallardo.

If this was the case, then every single lineup would be jumbled based on whoever had the highest OPS or whatever stat you chose.

You and I both know that is not even close to being true.

In an instance where two players of similar skill level are options and one has the better track record – as was the case last night with Tabata and Snider – there’s absolutely nothing wrong with playing the one with more individual success, regardless of sample size.

But when one player is so vastly superior to another, as is Jones against RHP, using individual matchup just does not make sense.

Just like my eyes telling me that I think that Melancon doesn’t get enough 1-2-3 innings and that it may come back to bite him…..and his WHIP being one of the tops in the majors.

:-)

72. Joey Mellons says:

100 units on line 2. 2-3 walks.

73. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

No worries………If I’m down, no hurry, but I have a feeling i’m more on the upside than say……Biz

74. JHadar says:

I think the thing I remember most about Statistics 101 is that statistics are results, not predictors.

My experience in baseball is that recent performance (small sample) may or may not agree with long-term results (large samples) and that managers know how players are feeling, what problems they are having, what changes they’ve made, and so much more information than we have — and still sometimes they just play hunches.

Hope it all works out.

Given how superstitious ballplayers Hurdle may be juggling the line-up to deal with the nemesis aspect our play against Milwaukee.

Who really knows?

This is like talking to a wall.

You simply do not understand statistics if you think I’m ignoring evidence. I’m doing precisely the opposite.

76. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Chicken

77. Naterosboro says:

#freeAndyOliver

That +1 was to JRay 3′s, if it wasn’t more than obvious. :-)

THANK YOU!!

If Naje, et al would just come out and say this I would have no problem at all.

Its the blatant abuse of statistics that bothers the nerd in me.

80. cosmo says:

I’ll have 100 on line one.

I think I’m closing in on Biz.

81. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Flip that, let Barmes finish out his contract, feeding JM some extra playing time to see what he’s got there.

It does, or at least may, when you are searching for ways to beat a team that has had your number for 5 years+.

83. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I look at the box scores whenever I get a chance. I especially like seeing what Tony Sanchez is up to.

84. Lad9 says:

100 gold sovereigns on 2-3 walks please. Thank you Playoffs. Go Buccos!

85. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

yup

I did take statistics 101 in college. I’m not arguing about the statistics themselves, but how you seem to be suggesting they are the only thing that is being used and that they should be totally ignored because it is a small sample size. (We’ll put to the side for now the issue of the reality of what is really going on with Clint and the Pirates).

“To talk about “every single lineup” Is just a lame attempt to attack a specific approach to a particular situation by suggesting it would not work if applied universally.”

Naje literally said that managers do this every game in yesterdays blog.

That “lame attempt” is his justification.

88. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Could it be that both need a night off? Especially Pedro?

See my response to JHadar below.

My paycheck every other Friday says I have a fine understanding of statistical analysis.

You’re reading what you want to believe if you still feel like my problem is with anything but being told by some guy on the internet who has Baseball Reference bookmarked that I don’t know statistics.

I think you are trying to hang him with a comment he used which responded to another specific criticism you had. And now you’re trying to hang me with it. I’m not impressed. You can do better.

91. Naterosboro says:

TC

Melancon’s WHIP right now is 0.75. He’s giving up less than a BB or H (or both) per inning pitched.

I just want you to stop worrying about Melancon…right now.

He’s going to blow a lead in the 8th inning. Nobody’s perfect. But if he can keep his WHIP around 1, those games will be rarities instead of regularities.

If anything, keep DKs concerns in the back of your mind about appearances. That could lead to fatigue, and maybe injury.

But I see no reason why Mark Melancon (other than fatigue or injury) won’t continue to be a very good relief pitcher this season.

Next year? Who knows. He’s a relief pitcher.

ABSOLUTELY.

There are a ton of different reasons to suggest either move.

The ONLY one I’ve taken an issue with is the blatant misuse of statistical analysis.

93. Dadtackular says:

100 on 2-3 walks

Clint on Monday: “Get Jordy out of here, and don’t send him back until he’s Jeter.”

Clint on Tuesday: “If McDonald is hurt, then I’ll take Jordy but he’s going to sit.”

Clint on Wednesday: “Hell, yes, I want Jordy in the lineup immediately. Who is the idiot that sent him back to AAA anyway?”

If Jordy goes 0-4 tonight or commits an error, I don’t know what they’ll do with him.

95. Naje says:

Naje will say this for the LAST time NMR:

THERE IS A HUGE VALUE IN HAVING SEEN A SPECIFIC PITCHER–EVEN JUST ONCE–IN A CAREER.

If NMR would just understand that individual experience and how important it is, I would have no problem at all.

Experience v. a specific pitcher is huge in MLB. It is one of the most important factors in creating a lineup that doesn’t have 8 very good players that can hit and field their positions. When you have options, you use them to your advantage.

You say 20 at bats is nothing? I say, you face one pitcher, at most, 25 at bats in a season, maybe. There is tremendous value in every one of those at bats.

+ 1

The funny part about this is we all said he would latch on elsewhere pretty quickly. Lefties that strike out more than a batter an inning get more chances than anyone.

+ 1

99. Naterosboro says:

Cole Hamels had another poor outing and is now 1-6 with a 4.61 ERA.

$140million well spent so far.

SUCK IT, PHILLY!

Just read a thought from Bob Smizik that made some sense.

Four of the next five projected starters against the Bucs are RHP. That could make for a long time on the bench for Sanchez. It’s reasonable to give him a start against someone he’s hit before, despite his awful history – past and present – against RHP.

101. Naterosboro says:

Darn it. I didn’t want this post as a reply:

Cole Hamels had another poor outing and is now 1-6 with a 4.61 ERA.

$140million well spent so far.

SUCK IT, PHILLY!

102. Naje says:

I forgot to add…

“.. ya big nerd!”

:-)

When in doubt, I blame the Commodore 64 ;-)

Garrett Jones has “seen” Gallardo more than Sanchez.

What is your point again?

Sorry, I did not interpret Naje’s comments as suggesting you didn’t know statistics. My interpretation was you were overemphasizing statistics as not being a factor. Still do.

106. Naje says:

I’ll take 7 for 19 and 1.032 OPS awful against a RHP anytime.

Now, let’s go get a beer and hash this out…by the end, we’ll agree that we’re both right and that we’re not on either end of the spectrum.

But one-on-one experience does matter. A lot.

I would like to see what DeJesus could do to help this team later in the year. I’m sure he’s not a great glove man, but he seems decent defensively and it appears he can hit a little. I think he also plays a bunch of positions. I would definitely prefer him to Harrison if/when it comes to that. I’d even prefer seeing what DeJesus could do vs. the known commodity of Inge.

108. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Misuse by us lunatics or by CH? I’m sure these stats come in to play, but there has to be more than just those numbers to make a decision.

I hope you know this is all in good fun – at least on my end.

I took offense to being treated like I don’t know how to analyze statistics, but you aren’t making it personal. You don’t know me from Adam.

Can I come?

Better yet, I’ll come to you. Planning on being back in L’ville for Forcastle this summer.

Loved that town.

Cole seems to be pitching just below the level to get a shot before Sept. He needs to put about 4-5 dominant starts together in a row to get a call up, I think. At this point, I’d take 2. Seems NH was right that there are things Cole needs to clean up.

Ryan Howard.

I wonder where Inge racked up the AB’s vs. Gallardo. Jones is 5/21, I think. I think Clint gave Sanchez the start to try to get him a little more action. & he has good numbers vs Gallardo and is swinging the bat well, so I can see why Clint gave him the start. The righty side of a platoon always gets far fewer games.

Roy Halliday.

My plan would be an average of 2 starts at SS per week for Jordy immediately, plus the primary back-up to Pedro at 3b and Walker at 2b. If he continues to do well, get him more chances. I think playing a little at each position won’t hurt him at SS for next year. I also think 1/2 of the possible ABs in the bigs would be better for him at this point than all of the SS ABs for the remainder of the year at Indy. Having said that, just about every MLB Manager wants as close to an everyday SS as possible. That is the key defenisive player in the infield, and they just don’t like any sort of time-share if they can avoid it.

I understand they want him to help their players develop patience during batting practice. 70% of what they will see will be balls, so this could help them in that regard.

Isn’t Pie pushing 28-30 by now, Nate?

119. MadTurk says:

And he has a downward plain

I wouldn’t mind seeing Oliver, either. Karstens will be up in a few weeks also, right? Sometime in June, I would think. I actually think he is going to be very good. If that guy could just stay healthy …

For an outfielder, maybe. :-)

122. MadTurk says:

Without taking sides one name Milnor (sp)

I hear you, NMR. You would think the right thing would be to go for the volume of statistics.

But, just when I start to believe that, I read that Cutch batted against Feirs last night. The Brewers wanted to avoid that matchup because was something like 4-8 with 2 HR. Coincidence with 2 HR in so few at bats? Or definite trend? We know the result.

My point is sometimes it becomes analysis paralysis, and you have to pick a lane. Hopefully, it works out. I really believe CH feels Sanchez is swinging the bat well, and as the righty in the platoon he only gets 1/3 of the starts. I think CH is just looking for a chance to get Gaby extra ABs when the opportunity arises while he is swinging well.

124. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I’d be willing to bet the guy in the other dugout tonight is pretty pleased with his starting SS.

125. Jason81 says:

100 units on 2-3 walks, please!

126. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Watch your mouth……

To your second paragraph, Cutch also happens to be a pretty damn good hitter, period.

I disagree with using a small sample when it goes against an overall body of work. Cutch’s body of work ain’t too shabby.

But your point is well made. Even though Gaby has been dreadful against RHP this season, those few extra starts may keep him fresh enough to absolutely mash lefties, which he has.

Last year I wouldn’t complain at all about starting Sanchez against a righty with GIJ also playing right field. But this year the Bucs actually have decent production from other players (Tabby/Snider) who could take that spot in the lineup over Gaby.

These are good arguments for Pirate fans to be having!!

128. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Old guys

probably shoot him :(

The whole dam team

Right now, anyways

131. Reading says:

Maybe there’s no statistical analysis at all. Maybe it is simply Hurdle’s gut feeling.

I would think the odds of getting fatigued would be greater if you have fewer 1-2-3 innings in those appearances.

I really like the guy. But it seems me that, especially recently, when I watch the games our relievers -except Grilli – get few 1-23 innings.

And Nate, I appreciate your concern for me…and Melancon

133. cmat0829 says:

100 units on 2-3

100 Horatio Hippos on line 1………….. 0-1 K’s.

Thank you kind sir.

I mean 0-1 BB’s.

Hippo hallucinations…………… :(

136. cmat0829 says:

Geeze, for some bloggers, if Clint were posting the AllStar lineup they’d have a counter view for THAT. Guys, Clint needs no statistics nor reasons for sitting Pedro against Gallardo. None. Period. End of rational discussion.

As to Jones, his at bats last night were poor, and Gallardo is tough on him.

Guys, our record against the Brew Crew “doing what we’ve always done” is not good, so can we take a break from bashing the manager for trying a different look to the lineup against gallardo?

137. cmat0829 says:

Plus, Walk started to do it last night on the broadcast but can I ask someone to give us a professional analysis of how Pedro is swinging and missing those 89-90 MPH “fast”balls that are pretty much down the middle? Walk thought he may have been swinging early but he isn’t …. is he watching the ball? Pulling his head?

I can’t get on El Toro for waiving at offspeed down and away or not being able to hit good LHP curves, sliders, etc.. but he seems to really swing and miss a TON at very hittable pitches.

138. cmat0829 says:

hey Naje and NMR, seems to me logic holds that if a hitter has seen a pitcher a lot, then the pitcher has seen the hitter a lot. Maybe gallardo knows how to get GI Jones out and worth a shot to give Gaby a game.

Pedro is who he is

For the next few years, until he leaves via Free Agency, we will live and die by his production

If you sit, you think, Pedro’s thinking hurts him

Put him in there till his tongue is wagging like my dachsys on a hot day

Pedro can be a real difference maker if he gets hot

But he’s an ofer vs tonights Brewers pitcher

I’d be more comfortable if I believed CH is managing with his guile vs stats

At this point I wish Pedro was making more productive outs.

More contact – less K’s

With late life.

Forgive me, I’m new here.

143. Brandie says:

Good evening all. Sending good vibes to Wandy and all you Lunatics out there.

But when he gets hot?

He is what he is, much like life overall, gotta go with the good and the bad

Not arguing at all, but 30 dingers

Unfortunately all in 7-8 weeks of the season, or so it seems

Hi Brandie!

+ 1

147. Brandie says:

Good way to start the game. Good to see Jordy Mercer back. Let’s hope he makes the most of this chance.

148. Brandie says:

Hey Hey Hey Hipposter! Hope you are feeling better. I am a little under the weather myself.

Also, I would say that the reason CH doesn’t have a MENSA card right now is probably not because his application got lost in the mail. He seems to me to be a guy that takes a peak at the numbers, but trusts his gut more than anything because, unlike a lot of us here, his head probably starts to hurt when he stares at too many numbers for too long. I’m being a bit snarky toward CH, but my real point is I think he is very much a “feel” manager.

150. Dave G says:

Waiting for someone to say that Barmes would have made that play…

…which is probably true, I guess…

Except when he rolls over the pitch on the outside corner, and up steps DOUBLEPLAY-DRO! Ugh! We all want him to do well, but it is painful to watch when he is struggling.

I likened him to Adam Dunn last week. I don’t know if anyone has seen Dunn lately, but 2013 Dunn has once again been replaced by 2011 Dunn – you know the one who never escaped his slump. He hit a hard grounder through the infield last night into a funky shift where a guy positioned like the old softball “rover” spot fielded it in CF and threw way late to 1B. The ump still called Dunn out. The guy cannot catch a break. Still, he put his head down and never complained. I pray Pedro does not get that bad this year.

152. Ed says:

Gotta say I’m disappointed with the crowd tonight. Really thought there would be more here. Lot of people in the sections with the strikeout promotion though.

153. Brandie says:

Wish I could be there…gorgeous night for it.

154. Ed says:

Had the same thought soon as the ball got through.

155. Brandie says:

Let’s see if Hurdle can get tossed again!

156. I’ll be in that section with two of my cousins on Friday night.

meh.

Thanks for the shout-out. Just may swim around the Pond for a bit. :)

158. Reading says:

Be nice to get that first hit out of the way.

I think everyone recognizes Barmes as the better fielder than Mercer … and maybe 90% of SS in MLB. Unfortunately, for Clint, he is the worst offensive SS in MLB – the last week aside. Jordy has a lot of potential.

160. Brandie says:

Agreed. Good for the confidence.

161. Brandie says:

Are there tulips nearby?

Biz
    I still want the homers and hot streaks. Pedro would be a lot more productive if he would make more contact. ( move more runners up & more RBI’s from sac flies )

163. Brandie says:

Walk for Martin. Decent at bat. Now bring him in.

164. Brandie says:

Possible point being…Pedro does no it need to do it pretty, but making more consistent contact makes him more effective offensively.

165. Reading says:

Tired of that Aoki.

166. Reading says:

Just don’t want it snowballing and two hours later dude still has a no-hitter.

Always!

Like to hear a Hippo tune before I swim off?? ;)

168. Brandie says:

In A Gada Davida.

Gallardo seems like Justin Verlander vs. the Bucs. And, when he’s at bat he seems like Miggy Cabrera some nights. I am always uncomfortable when this guy faces us.

170. Brandie says:

He needs to go.

171. Brandie says:

He is another one who seems to tasks glee in dissecting the opposition.

My Hippo tongue would fall out whistling that!!!!

A friend of mine used to DJ……….. whenever he needed a bathroom break, he would play that song. ;)

Aoki is a good little player. A real pest at bat.

And, regarding the Pedro comments, all I want is for him to do a Joey Votto impersonation. Is that so much to ask?

174. Brandie says:

MARTE!!!!!!!!!!!

175. Reading says:

First hit: check.

First run:

Jordy!

As Hawk Harrelson would say, “You can cancel the post-game show!”

Nolan Ryan threw his first no hitter 40 years ago today.

Of course, he then threw #2 about 2 months later! Wow!

178. Brandie says:

Well you can wish in one hand, spit (gotta g rate this) in the other and see which one gets filled first.

179. Brandie says:

You make me smile. :-)

I know. I’ve said this a lot of times, but how in the world did the Brewers pry him away from LAA for a couple short months of the extremely overrated Greinke? I guess it is just that the Angels have no regard for young players. They just buy what they think they need instead. The Pirates need to start trading more often with them. Brilliant move by Milw.

Glad I perform a public service for you, I guess. 8-)

I think I am gonna swim around awhile.
    Might be back, maybe not.
    Still not feeling quite right.

I send good luck to the Bucs.
    I send good luck to you too.

I send good vibes to all the lunatics tonight……….. its fun being here.

Hippo out.

182. Reading says:

Pens coach there. Interesting.

Also, along those lines, I would be finding out what it would take to pry Profar away from Texas. They signed Elvis to a new deal, so I think Profar will be dealt. I’d start by offering either Cole or Taillon. I know that would not be enough. I’d find out what else they want. We have not developed a SS since Vaughn or Wagner. Ok, maybe Groat.

Pedro was looking good for several days last weekend … a few sweet liners to LF on outside pitches. A couple of crunched balls to RF. Then, it abruptly stopped.

Yup.

Bylsma? Good for him.

Tabby should have had that. Missed it by a foot.

Shero is there, too.

190. This offense has got to get something going – understatement of the evening.

191. Reading says:

Wearing Pirates gear also.

192. Nice going with the pitch there by Marte for that lead off double. Can we get a freakin’ bunt down for a change – or hit!

193. JohnH says:

Lets Go Bucs

194. Cutch’s first SB since late April. Get them in Gaby!!!

195. Real Deal Niel – come through for us with the bases juiced!!!

196. JRay3 says:

The Pittsburgh Kid comes through with 2 RBI single, he did come into today owning a .364 average off Gallardo.

197. There you go “Neil.” 2-0 Bucs!!!

198. .453 with the bases loaded.

199. 2-1 now after the dang homer. Great throw by the fan throwing the ball back in. Landed by the infield dirt at short.

200. Brandie says:

Dude is an enigma wrapped in a taco.

Stats don’t matter in a small sample. :-D. :-P. :-D

202. JRay3 says:

Seven Wandy-ful innings turned in by Rodriguez tonight.

203. Brandie says:

Ba dum dum. You’ll be here all week. :-)

204. MadTurk says:

First sentence – Or non Production. Glass half full verus Glass half empty.

Forget the game.

How many fans are in the seats?

206. Brandie says:

Inge thrown out…Ugh!

207. MadTurk says:

Ditto

208. Brandie says:

Will be interested to hear the attendance number. Rock on Drew!

209. MadTurk says:

Cheese or Cool Ranch?

210. Brandie says:

Which ever flavor is more confounding!

211. MadTurk says:

Electric or hand held?

212. MadTurk says:

He was safe, late tag up high or just below the knee.

213. Reading says:

Woooooooooooooooooo!!!!

214. JRay3 says:

Melanoc with a perfect 1-2-3 8th inning, getting the Brewers top of the order. That was for @Thundercrack, clean as a whistle to lower his sterling WHIP some more.

1-2-3 inning!!!

Melancon’s WHIP is plummeting.

216. JRay3 says:

Melancon that is

217. Reading says:

Ha!!!!!”!!”! E-4!!!!!

The Brewers have to lead the league in bone-head plays

219. Patrick(ri) says:

Nice part of Weeks is he will hot dog and give back a run.

221. JRay3 says:

Thank you Rickie Weekes for the gift wrapped run, some cushion for Grilli to work with.

222. Brandie says:

We was robbed!

223. JRay3 says:

Behind Neil Walker’s bases loaded single, Wandy Rodriguez putting together seven dominant innings and Jason Grilli earning his 16th save in as many chances the Pirates take the third game of the four game set versus Milwaukee 3-1 and there was nooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Pirates for the first time in four chances move to a season best six games above .500 at 23-17. The Pirates now even their mark against the Brewers this season at 3-3 and have a chance to win the series tomorrow evening when Francisco Liriano makes his second start as a Pirate.

Let’s Go Bucs!

224. likeabugonarug says:

At the risk of jinxing them, so far in their first 3 4-game series, the Bucs have lost the first and won the next 3. Just saying…….

Kevin

225. Naje says:

NMR… wherever you are… had to leave the conversation early, but good stuff nonetheless. As for having seen a pitcher more often in total plate appearances, it’s pretty clear Sanchez sees and produces better in those at bats. C’est la vie…Bucs win. They’re a darn good team. Rarely beating themselves and always fighting to the end.

As for Forecastle Festival this summer, they just announced a bourbon experience (tent thing) will be there… sort of like a mini bourbon village (the urban bourbon trail here is pretty neat). Visits to any of the distilleries are always a good option, too. I believe it’s July 10-13. Let me know if you’re going to be here.

226. Naje says:

At the 1/4 pole: 23-17.

Would be nice to see the team at double-digits over .500 at the half-way point of the season. Keep grinding out the wins.

227. florida pirate says:

Second game report for me:

Tabata horrible outfielder, period…jogger

Cutch covers more ground than most entire outfields

For some reason the Pirates refuse to swing at first pitch…

Marte attempts bunt now in every at bat

Pirates have to have the most bungled base running moves in the Majors

Grilli is almost unhittable

Good crowd tonight

228. florida pirate says:

Oh yeah, one more thought, can these dudes please just stand still and listen to the damn national anthem without BSing with their buddies and giggling, etc? Hello Brandon Inge. Geez, someone needs to have these guys go visit the darn VFW or something…show some respect

I see what you were doing there, AW.

Rickie Weeks hurts one team and one team only. But, too bad, Brew Crew, it wasn’t enough tonight.

I assume you are being facetious, but even if you aren’t, I say don’t worry. If the Bucs keep playing like this, the fans will come. It may take until the Pens playoff run is over, and by that I mean after they have hoisted Lord you know who’s Cup. But, the Bucs will get their due. We are a metro of 2.5 million, at most. There is only so much money to go around, and once the Pens are finished, the Bucs will get the discretionary $$.

I see the Brewers’ offensive stats, and for awhile I kept asking how the Bucs could hang with them. The truth is, the Bucs do a great job of turning balls in play into outs and the Brewers do a bad job of that. There are not a lot of tangible stats to show for defensive efficiency, no one on MLB Network is going to talk about it, but it wins ball games. We are really good defensively. Go Bucs!

You beat me to that comment likeabug… There is definitely something special about the 2013 Bucs. Remember the last 2 years? Even though they had good records in late summer, I always felt like they needed to win Game 1 of a series or they might fall apart. They were emotionally weak. Not so this year. This team thrives on losing Game 1 of a series. They take it as a challenge! Go Bucs!

I’ve said it before. The last 2 years I felt their good records through 2/3 of the season were built on smoke and mirrors .. a lot of good fortune. I don’t feel that way this year. This team has earned their 23-17 record. Multiply by four and you get 92-68 with 2 games left in the season. I’m cautiously optimistic. This is by no means a perfect team, but they battle every night. You have to love and respect that.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back