Chat transcript: Starstruck interviewing athletes?

Here’s today’s chat transcript covering the Penguins’ moving Jarome Iginla again, the Pirates’ immaculate bullpen, the Steelers’ first draft signing, the latest Penn State controversy and … whether or not I get starstruck interviewing people.

Thanks to all for participating.

Comments

“there might also come a point where people waiting for Alvarez to turn into some super-polished power hitter are just going to have to accept a .250 guy with great pop.”

I think there are MANY people that would welcome THAT Pedro with open arms.

+ 1

He won’t get his average up until he’s playing for the Yankees ;-)

When I was in college I had to interview the actress Deborah Foreman. She was the star of “Valley Girl” and was promoting her latest picture, “My Chauffeur.” She was only a few years older than me and an unquestionable beauty.

So intimidated by her was I that what resulted was nothing short of disgusting! What a sycophant I was.

The shame led to an epiphany though and I realized I was not cut out to be a journalist. A few years ago my wife secured an autographed photo from her that hangs proudly in my non-journalist office.

When I was in high school, I met Moe, Larry and Curly Joe…

After that no more awestruck ;-)

As an FYI, Keith Laws first mock draft has the PBC taking DJ Peterson, 3B/1B from New Mexico with No 9 and Trey Bell, high school LHP No 14.

I have no idea who Littlefield is taking ;-)

Holy Cow, Biz, you’ve met God! :)

:thwap:

LOL

9. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Back in my college days I was an aspiring broadcast journalism major,
    I worked for the college radio station.

Got to interview Mike O’Meara (you DC people know whom I’m speaking of).
    He was a personal idol of mine at the time.

Same thing happened to me, sat there basically in awe of the man and never really conducted much of an interview at all.

My epiphany was just about the same as yours.
    Combine that with the fact I punched the Program Director in the gut one day, and that about wraps up my radio experience…

10. TK says:

Question that needs to be asked:

What possessed you to punch the Program Director in the gut?

inquiring minds want to know!

“Let me put it another way: You could conceivably be looking at a Pirates team right now with a lesser record but more signs of sustainability, and I’d see that as far stronger cause for “excitement.” ”

Sorry, but this reeks of Neal-Huntington-smartest-man-in-the-room syndrome.

If the Pirates were losing more games with their players playing worse – which is exactly what Dejan means by “sustainable” – why in the hell would anyone be more excited?

+ 1

14. Playoffs by 2012 says:

At the time I was a Freshman/Sophomore and the Program Director was a Senior.
    For whatever reason he really enjoyed the power trip of being “the boss”

Dude really got a kick out of being the one responsible for grading our radio work.
    Everything was either snide or sarcastic with this clown.

So one day I’m 20 minutes into a 3 hour show, and through the glass I see him point and laugh as I’m trying to plow through a PSA announcement.
    As I get to the third or fourth paragraph he stands up, does an over exaggerated yawn and gives me a double “thumbs-down”

That was it for me.
    I got through the PSA, and put on The Clash’s nice long song, Straight to Hell, 7 minutes of airplay if I remember correctly.

I put my headphones down and walked directly over to him and said, “You obviously have a problem with me. I’m gonna go wait outside in the hall. Why don’t we just settle this now.”

I walked into the hallway, he followed about 5 seconds later, and I just slugged him right in the gut.
    Walked back into the studio (still had 5 minutes left on the track), gathered my things and walked out.

Haven’t gotten behind the mic at a radio station since.

Sounds like you got the better end of that episode and the entire deal :)

Probably not the first nor last Program Director to be punched! Very few of them are Andy Travis.

17. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Amen!
    Love that show!!

18. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Had to be done.
    I’d never done that prior to that instance, and haven’t done it since.

Sometimes a man’s gotta go what a man’s gotta do…

that’s a head scratcher for sure.

21. Nor Cal Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The greatest question of all time: ”
    The NHL is a hack league…Look how few Americans play the sport, the Major College athletes who play cannot hold a candle (athletically) to NCAA football, hoops, or baseball players. It’s just a major sport played at a much lower level and whose make-up would be completely changed if more American athletes were exposed to it. What sayeth you?”

This had to be a joke…seriously.