Saturday column: The smartest man in hockey

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

The Saturday column off Game 2 is about the smartest man in hockey. And if you have to ask who that is, I’m guessing you were detained somewhere last night and probably should notify the authorities.

Here’s our full team coverage, from Rob Rossi, Josh Yohe and Jerry DiPaola.

Here’s our staff photo gallery, featuring the work of Chaz Palla and Chris Horner. These guys are good.

A small slice of my talk with the brains of the outfit …

And with another heady player on the same topic …

I’ll be piling into a very large vehicle today, along with three others, for our eight-hour trek to Ottawa via upstate New York. That means I’ll also be penning the Sunday column with my thumbs on the iPhone. Both will be firsts for me. Zero complaints, though. This feels like it’s only beginning to get fun.

Comments

1. Deb says:

“Penning column on the iPhone” Seriously DK you need an IPAD!!!

DK: Easier time with the thumbs, actually. I do have an iPad, but it’s not something that would really work as a car passenger.

2. Naje says:

Have a great trip… safe travels… don’t let The Sun (pun intended) beat on you and your crew. Take the mecca with you and bring home a couple of solid wins.

We’ll keep you updated on the Bucs and welcome you back to PNC in mid-June with a big cup in hand to the roar of 39,000 fans cheering madly at the Pens and their shiny hardware.

3. Ryan says:

Sounds like you’re taking a good old fashioned road trip. I assume you’re traveling with Rossi and Yohe but who is the third guy?

DK: Staff photog and uber-driver Chaz Palla. He will commandeer the #TribHKY-mobile.

4. Patrick says:

Shall we assume Mr. Engelland will be among the other three passengers going up to watch from the press box?

DK: We shall assume that you have a better chance of playing Game 3, Patrick.

5. Kris says:

Here is where having small hands is actually a benefit – I can nearly properly touch type on an on-screen keyboard on an iPad in the car.

(Trying to type anything meaningful on an iPhone drives me nuts, though.)

6. Kris says:

I love how Iginla seems just so darn pleased to be here and playing good hockey most of the time. You always get that sense that part of him is thinking ‘Isn’t it so awesome that I get paid to do this thing that I love to do and that’s so much fun?’ (Insert voiceover of young Sid here.)

DK: Iginla is ecstatic to be in Pittsburgh. That’s no overstatement.

7. Iceman says:

Paul Martin has been playing great this playoffs and tonight was the best of the best. Awesome game from him and it has been great to see him have a full 180 from last year. Also, great game from the third and fourth lines. They were cycling the puck great and really forechecking hard.

DK: The transformation of Martin remains a terrific tale. Even after the long layoff to injury, he’s stepped back like nothing was missed.

8. Deb says:

Reporters were really feeling the vibe tonight. First the question to Karlsson about “What happened on first goal” and Karlsson replies “What are you blind.” Then a reporter asks Sid if he can sense he is going to play so well, “like a dog sensing an earthquake.” Ha . An in the earth may rock on it’s axis moment, Don Cherry, who tends to always swim against reason and comment sense, actually said “and Crosby, best hockey player playing today.”

Great moments.

HNIC actually had a speed gun to clock Sid, and reported he clocked around 35 miles per hour on his first goal. IMPRESSIVE!!!

DK: That’s neat. Great idea.

9. millerzoo says:

who is the creepy guy over iggy’s shoulder? (loved the interviews but seriously, no expression??)

DK: Don’t know.

10. Sean says:

This is a weekly chat type question that would probably get a “Wow, no” reply, but I’m asking anyways. Does it seem that Iginla is taking being a Penguin, playing with Sid, etc for granted? That empty net opportunity he had… you always elevate that. He hit it right to the goalie on the ice. He is getting points, but I guess I’m not seeing hard work from him. I don’t believe this necessarily, but I would love to hear feedback. [Disclaimer: I'm not going anywhere near the idea of not having him or needing him, etc]

DK: Wow, no.

And to your other point: Wow, no.

That pass from James Neal was a rocket. He absolutely had to catch it first and, to a degree, settle it before trying the shot. Just couldn’t get under it enough.

Give Robin Lehner some credit there. Terrific double-pad slide.

11. adam says:

It’s the playoffs, he’s done getting paid, wants to raise the Cup. Hopefully this is incentive to want to take less pay to do keep doin’ it.

12. Daquido_Bazzini says:

DK – I’ve got a feeling that if your journey continues with the Pens….You’re going to be heading out here to LaLa land.
    I don’t like this Kings team at all….Zero.
    They are trouble.

13. kr70 says:

been on a 7800 mile road trip myself seeing this great country. 7 National parks. Would catch scores in the motel and Lunatics you had me worried during the Islander series. Watched Sid’s interview on NHL tonight. That puck to the face didn’t do his looks any good. Is root sports done doing the games? Had to watch last night on my computer, CBC. We always seem to take our foot off the gas but I think the Sens need a little credit for not quitting. Travel tip for the Lunatics, If it has NP behind the name it is worth the trip.

Do you call him Animal?

Isn’t it a rule that every photographer’s nickname is Animal?

And what’s YOUR nickname?

Please don’t tell us the lame Hard J “Day-John” thing. We wanna hear the REAL nickname.

Four guys in one vehicle.

Keep the windows down.

16. js63 says:

Sometimes you do exactly what you are supposed to do, and the goalie just does his job a little better.

17. js63 says:

I wonder what his 3rd goal would have been clocked at. That was truly a rocket!

Sounds great.

At least you weren’t in a vehicle with three other sportswriters.

One of them named Stinky.

19. Eric Bowser says:

Outside of Chris Neil and Cory Conacher, Senators have barely done much physically against the Penguins and as much as their eccentric owner wants to call them the pesky Sens, I’m not seeing it.

If you don’t physically try to engage the Penguins in order to get them off their game and agitate them, you get what we’re seeing, a 2-0 series lead and a team that is basically doing whatever it wants, when it wants.

Asked last night about going to Ottawa, Bylsma said, “They’re a resilient team, different scenarios with injuries, they’ve always responded and found a way to win. They keep coming back and they did that tonight. They found a way to get a power play goal. They’ve done that all year long, we won our two homes we had and go to Ottawa and expect their very best in game 3.”

The Penguins have learned their lessons it seems about sticking to their game and bearing down defensively as Bylsma said “the last 10 minutes of games with 1-goal lead, played very well, well with puck. We had two shifts around 3:30 to go with Dupuis and Morrow, probably had best shift of game.”

As for Vokoun’s play in net, Bylsma said “I think they had a shot total around 10, had 2 goals but he made a few saves with breakaways, made some really big saves, solid saves. He was real calm in the third period, real steady. Score is 4-3, he made calming saves, clearing rebounds. He was big for us in third and credit for the saves in the second.”

20. dwf says:

Eric,

Don’t worry, I think the Pens will see a much different Sens team than the one they just played. IMO I think they will start resorting to their goon/dirty play targeting Crosby, Malkin, etc. Ottawa is not going to make this that easy!

21. BillyBaduka says:

That’s awesome. Always wanted to do that.

Don’t let the notes from the ledge here get to you. Isles presented matchup problem few teams can replicate.

Pens keep playing better and more consistently.

They need to keep it up. If the Pens make the Finals, beating Chicago or LA will take a consistently responsible effort.

22. stuart66 says:

DK, I think your Sid column today ranks up there among your top 5 all time. Might have been your best IMHO.

I’m just as glad that sabremetrics hasn’t migrated to hockey. If it did, speed of thinking would have to be a key category. With Sid, not only does he have the ability to see more of the ice than the average human, but he processes the information, and seems to be able to preview the potential of various courses of action at (with a nod to Mr. Sulu) warp speed.

Hope you have a memorable road trip.

Stuart

That is entirely possible.

Both Chicago and LA are tough. Chicago is the favorite out West.
    I think Quick can steal a series. He and Lundquist are the 2 goalies left that are capable of that.

Should be interesting for sure.

24. Danch70 says:

We’ll see about the Sens. They look like they are ready to quit. I’m not saying they will tomorrow, but give them an excuse … Like a 2 goal lead next game. Put them out of their misery before they start believing.

Also, anyone miss Jordan staal now? I can’t say I noticed a huge drop from him to sutter in the regular season, but in the post season the difference is dramatic. Has sutter dropped his game, or just not elevated it?

25. Naje says:

Crosby’s third goal, the slapper, made me re-wind the dvr several times. Like a Federer forehand, that lethal moment when he dekes his opponent with his eyes and seemingly holds the ball on his racket forever before delivering a shot in the exact opposite spot you are covering… well, it just seems like Sid had the puck on his stick for a long time and waited for the defense to commit, made a subtle change with his hands and that high short side shot turned into a high shot to the wide open wide side of the net. Brilliant.

26. radio wave says:

Is it late enough in the morning to ask a baseball question? If the Astros starting all*second baseman is in the game last night does that error happened?

27. js63 says:

D*mn, did he ever hammer that shot? It looked like a blur to me – and perfectly placed.

28. No.

We win in extra innings.

:D

29. js63 says:

My son plays 11U, and the coaches are always complaining about how balls drop when any of 3 players could have caught it had they aggressively taken charge. I always say, “Do you guys ever watch the pros?” That stuff happens in short CF and RCF all the time. Case in point again last night.

30. Brandie says:

DK,

Safe travels to you and the crew. Thank you for the wonderful article highlighting Sid’s cerebral approach to the game.

Hey Dejan.

What kinda music gets the most play on the Pull My Finger Roadtrip?

32. js63 says:

Yes, great article DK.

It seems to me the great playmakers in hockey, basketball, soccer are always a step ahead of everyone else. Some of it is natural talent, like superior vision and quickness. But, one thing is for certain, the great playmakers are always bright. Their minds think a millisecond quicker than everyone else out there, and they get the jump on everyone as a result. Sid always seems to be a step ahead, sometimes 2. That can make all the difference in being good vs great vs legendary.

33. cherokee23 says:

Thought the same thing about Staal/Sutter the last 2 weeks. Difference in play is dramatic between the two as far as playoffs go. Not sure though, if Staal was still around, they may not have had cap flexibility to do all the deadline stuff they did. May not be fair comparison, but no question, Sutter’s play is a drop-off at this point.

BOOM!

35. Brandie says:

That’s why we know him as Crosby. The great ones are more known by their last names (see Gretzky, Lemieux, Stockton, Malone, Bird,etc.). They are also known by catchy nicknames as well. Crosby needs a better nickname.

Tied for the Wild Card lead with the Reds at 25-17, .595.

A game up on AZ & Giants, who are also tied for West Division lead. Two up on the Nats; three ahead of the Rockies. .

In the Central, they trail the hot Cards by 2.5, tied with the Reds for second. They are 10.5 ahead of Chicago and a glorious 11 in front of the LAST PLACE brewers.

Too soon?

Sidney Goalburg?

Too ethnic? Too stoopid?

No kidding…that’s very similar to the name one of my relatives.

Goal figure.

38. Brandie says:

I was thinking…

1. The Emperor
    2. The Captain
    3. Did You See That?!

for my suggestions. I do like your suggestion, however.

What about THE FINAL WORD ?!?!?!?

DK: Biertempfel and Gorman. You should like it. They don’t hate the Pirates like I do.

40. Vette60 says:

Morning all…

Enjoyed Sid’s brilliant performance last night for sure…seems like he had the jump from the drop of the puck…made it a little bit tense in the third, but was happy to see the Pens tighten up down the stretch…

Looks like TV will get another start which is fine by me for sure…Heard an interesting analysis on MAF on NHL Radio yesterday – just about he seems to get so mentally wrapped up in things when something bad happens that he can’t get over it – they talked about him chucking the puck out of the net after a score, beating himself up when he was pulled, etc. Nothing earth shattering with the analysis, but echoing what I think we believe. Really hope he can figure it out since I still believe that he will play a role in the remainder of the run.

Regarding the Sens, there is saying that I used when the Pens were down in ’09 against the Caps and the Wings…”You aren’t in trouble until you lose at home”. The Sens are down 2 with 2 coming up in their barn. They can turn it around pretty quickly with two solid home performances. I think they will be pretty amped up to do that and will be a bit more chippy with things on home ice…that being said, I still think the Pens will take at least one up North…

Have a safe trip DK and same goes to all the other Lunatics here – safe and enjoyable weekend!

Let’s go PENS!

Randy in RVA

41. That is the final word, TC.

42. Yunz have a wonderful day and bring home another W. Family and I off to see our newest granddaughter, born last night. That’s 3, all girls.

Cards are 11 up on the Brewers, Pirates 8 up on the Brewers

Yes. And a stink bomb at that.

Can’t a feller dream?

46. likeabugonarug says:

Could be that bad if they all like chili.

Lovely! Enjoy.

48. VelleS says:

Great job DK, as always. Have fun on the roadtrip! If you boys get bored in Ottawa over the long weekend, you’re all welcome to our Victoria Day barbecue on Monday (as are all other Pens fans in Ottawa!)

49. Brandie says:

That’s awesome. Have a wonderful time.

50. likeabugonarug says:

Is his play a dropoff? Or is he just being asked to do different things now? Still see him some on the PK. While he hasn’t been noticed much offensively, I don’t think he’s been noticed much negatively defensively either. He still took 24 shifts last night, and logged 14:16 of ice time.

Four scruffy dudes, all dressed in well worn graphic t’s trying to cross the border in a van.

Oh yeah, this has international incident written all over it.

“Would you gen tlemen mind getting out of your vehicle and stepping into this room, eh?”

53. Scott says:

I thought Sutter was awful at the start of the playoffs, hence his brief demotion to the fourth line, but he has really picked it up defensively. He’s not providing anything from an offensive standpoint, though, which is where Staal is missed. Fortunately the Pens have such depth that they can still score 4 goals a game anyway.

Great news, John.

55. tdb1977 says:

56. tdb1977 says:

+1 LOL!

Sort of Midnight Express meets Deliverance.

I like “Bing”. ;)

Enjoy.

Teach them how to shoot. ;)

Why do I think of The Hangover 3 with this bunch??? ;)

Meets SNL! ;)

The Emperor is taken. Ask Myron.

Tremendous! Congratulations!

You’re on a roll!

They aren’t that funny. :-P

66. Brandie says:

By Chuck Noll.

67. Joni says:

Naje, thanks for reminding me that tennis is on today, with Federer playing at 2 p.m. on The Tennis Channel.
    As for Fed’s play, I’ve always been partial to his backhand. And that’s saying something from a Nadal fan!

I heard somewhere that Sid plays tennis (I think it was the SI article a few weeks back). I would totally remortgage my house and/or take out a new credit card to buy a ticket to watch Sid go up against a pro tennis player. Talk about the best of both worlds!

68. Brandie says:

Bing is cool.

69. Brandie says:

More Gilligan’s Island! A three hour tour…

True, I was going more for visual effect. ;)

Brandie !!!!!!!!!

Drew, I say we vote for “Sparky”.

Who is Gilligan?

And sorry, I dont see a Ginger or Mary Ann in THAT bunch!!! ;)

74. Brandie says:

My Hipposter friend!

How is ya?

76. Brandie says:

Depends on who they pick up along the way!

77. Brandie says:

Groovy, looking forward to seeing the Bucs win another and to the Pens on Sunday. Hope the Pond is peaceful.

The Pond is peaceful, and things are going swimmingly well today. Seconded on the Buc and Pens victories.

HIPPO HEY, Brandie! ;)

79. dwf says:

Thelma and Louise meets Back to the Future.

That, I do NOT want to know.

Well, the old Hippo is going to go.

Will try to be back in time for the Bucs game.

If not, you have a Happy Hippo day!

81. Joni says:

What about Sidney “Ti” Crosby?

“Ti” is the symbol for the chemical element titanium. Sidney now has titanium plates in his jaw, thus making him “elemental”.

I think throwing some science into the new nickname would validate DK’s proclamation that Crosby is the smartest player in the game.

Thank you to my high school science teacher for drilling the periodic table into my head. I don’t remember the teacher’s name (typical), but I do remember what he taught me!

Also, there’s a song called “Titanium” by David Guetta. The chorus goes a little something like this:

“I’m bulletproof,
    nothing to lose
    fire away, fire away,
    ricochet,
    You take your aim
    fire away, fire away
    you shoot me down,
    but I won’t fall
    I am titanium”

***********************************************************

Now I must go lay down. I hurt my head on this one….

Have a great rest of the day!

82. Ghost says:

I want to personally thank Radio Wave for A) making the coast clear for baseball talk, and B) asking about the Astros’ 2nd baseman. Because I just wanted to observe that the poor guy already has to deal with a lot. After all, each and every day, somebody, somewhere, is making a Blues Brothers’ joke about him.

Cool. I hope I can stay awake.

And I can’t wait for Biertempfel to tweet the overnight ratings.

Safe travels.

Joni, if you create a post stating where you are from, Bizrow will add it to the list of places where we are from. :)

Oh, and Welcome!

Not RB’s style. :-)

None of them look like Bradley Cooper, either.

Although Dejan is a lot like Alan…

87. Officer Mancuso says:

I like the voice, the narrating character, in that Saturday column. It left me with a broad grin that lingered quite a while after I’d finished reading it.

Congratulations Grandpap !

89. Playoffs by 2012 says:

I just posted tonight’s game line in yesterday’s game thread.
    Need one of you kind-spirited people to re-post it into today’s game thread for me.
    Thanks in advance!!

90. Lad9 says:

Done!

91. Lad9 says:

ESPN reporting that Jason Spezza will return for game 3. Bring him on!

92. js63 says:

So, Joni, do we pronounce that like “Ty”? Short for titanium. I like it.

93. js63 says:

Ok, so Chicago just got spanked (and I mean spanked!) at home in game 3. I live in Chicago, and for all those who think the Blackhawks are the greatest team of all time, well, they sill have 11 games to win and they are no longer in control of their current series. Everyone here will now officially go into panic mode. A large % of current Hawks fans have no real understanding of hockey, and are just following them because it is cool to do so now. I’m not saying they don’t have die hard fans. They do, and this is a good hockey town. It’s just that this place is so friggin’ huge that there are people from everywhere, and they have latched onto the Hawks like Showtime Lakers fans during the Magic Johnson era. A lot of them would get stumped if forced to name Penguins after rattling off Crosby’s name. They don’t even conceive of another team beating the Hawks in a series.

94. Joni says:

I’ll go with “Ty”.
    And thanks for liking it!

95. Kevin says:

I am sure you are now here anymore PATRICK but… Crawford gave up 4 goals today against Detroit. Just a headsup that as hot as a goalie as Crawford has been.. he can still be scored on plenty :)

96. Woomer says:

I can’t speak for trying to type on an iPhone or iPad while riding in a car. But I’ve typed many a document over the years on a laptop while in the passenger’s seat. And I would think that would be the easiest way to do it — with a real keyboard.

97. Woomer says:

Regardless of how it turned out, it was pure joy to watch that pass by Neal.

98. Woomer says:

…and the Hawks showed that they are actually human today.

99. Sarah says:

Re MAF I think we saw more overt frustration than in the past….grabbing/flinging pucks out of the net….whacking himself on the head w blocker….more than I recall, and can’t be good.

I think bottom line, if they move him they’d have to get a G that can turn in Botha very solid reg season nbrs! And very solid playoff nbrs. fleury gives you one of two.

Dunno Vokoun can do it in an 89 game season.

They don’t have anyone ready yet in minors.

And perhaps most importantly, MAF is BFF w CRosby.

But I think mentally, if he can reverse it THIS time….and play lights out….well, I’d be very surprised.

I think they use him to spell Vokoun who’s nearly 37 and has not played 5 straight games in who knows how long.
    Or if TV continues to let in these softies…..

He let in 3 questionable goals to the SEns bottom 6 last night.
    If the Top 6 actually show up, it could get toughfor Tomas.

101. Sarah says:

Not to get ahead….but it’s LAK that frighten the life out of me, should Pens get that far not Chi.
    J Quick > Crawford.

102. Sarah says:

I think it will be Quick should they get that far.

103. Sarah says:

Insanity. He hasn’t even had contact yet,.
    After back surgery would you like your first contact to be an NHL playoff game?

Is that real, or hype?

104. Lad9 says:

Agree insanity. They quoted him as saying he is ready. Would not be surprised if this is his only game of the series and he doesn’t make the full 60.

105. js63 says:

Good point, Sarah. LAK seem to be putting all together again at just the right time for the 2nd year in a row. Chicago is very tough, and very consistent defensively. But, the Kings may have more skill – and that is saying a lot. Maybe if they play, they’ll wear each other out.

106. js63 says:

Meant, the Hawks lost Game 2 today, not 3.

107. js63 says:

Hold the phone. ESPN announced something about hockey, AND it was about the Senators? Must have been a slow news day in Bristol. They must have gotten all of their vital NBA news out of the way in advance.

108. George says:

Dejan,

I’m just dropping you a quick note: can’t contain these thoughts into a tweet.

The sixteen-year old and I drove in from Harrisburg for the Pens game. Weather was great. We enjoyed watching folks at the outdoor happening at the big screen. He’s looking at colleges, so we took a stroll through the tranquil spot that’s your alma mater. The game last night was all that we could hope for.

After the game we were stuck in the traffic mess trying to que along Centre to get to Monroeville. The sixteen-year old is sitting in the back seat watching the end of “Woodstock” on DVD. Along came a barrel-chested fellow, reddish beard, wearing a workout suit and carrying a Pens bag. He approached the passenger-side window, so I rolled it down. He simply handed a puck clearly labeled “Official NHL Practice Puck” to my son and walked on.

Was he just some Pens employee who is extremely large and fit? I admit that I don’t know a lot of these guys to see them in street clothes, and I’m sure they mostly get in their really nice cars and drive home. Me? I’m telling the sixteen-year old that the new guys are staying in hotels, and he just got a practice puck from Brenden Morrow. Makes for a nice story.

Needless to say, that simple act from whoever it was is the moment that’s going to stick with my son.

The point is, I think, that the act symbolizes the relationship that the Pens have in the Pittsburgh community.

The Steelers are the Steelers. They’ll always elicit that passion from the Pittsburgh populace (sort of sorry about all the alliteration – retired English teacher).

The Pirates? Well, they used to be up there in the pantheon. But they’ve become Eddie Haskell to Mrs. Cleaver: you take the kind words, but you always wonder what’s going to happen if you let your guard down.

The Pens? They’re the kids who always go out of their way to do the kind thing. They surprise mom by bringing in some flowers after they’ve mowed the lawn. They’re the kids who run ahead to get the door for old ladies, especially when no one is looking. They’re the kids who sneak up and steal your heart.

Just my perspective.

George

109. Sarah says:

Don’t get me started on espn…..

110. Sarah says:

George – beautifully told.

All we can say is – welcome to Pittsburgh.

We HOPE you come back!

111. dwf says:

George,

Great story! Hockey players are truly a “special breed”! Such a simple act, yet it speaks volumes about the individual.

112. Brandie says:

What a great story. Made my night. Thank you so much for reminding me how much I love my original, always, and forever hometown.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back