Final: Pirates 5, Brewers 2

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (29-19) vs. Milwaukee Brewers (19-27)

Starters: LHP Jeff Locke vs. RHP Mike Fiers

Time: 4:10 p.m.

Site: Miller Park, Milwaukee

TV, radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s the Pirates’ lineup …

1. Starling Marte, LF
  2. Travis Snider, RF
  3. Andrew McCutchen, CF
  4. Garrett Jones, 1B
  5. Russell Martin, C
  6. Neil Walker, 2B
  7. Pedro Alvarez, 3B
  8. Clint Barmes, SS
  9. Locke, LHP

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page.

Comments

JAL’s Rocky Top Morning Links

GENERAL DAILY UPDATED BASEBALL SITES

1- MLB Transactions

2-MLB Trade Rumors-Pirates

3 Go Buccos- Pirate News (from external sources)

4 Pittsburgh Pirates Stats

BLOGS and such

5—Pirates Prospects

First Pitch: Runs Tough to Come By in Burnett Starts

Prospect Watch: Big Night For Allie, Taillon Gets Good Results Without Best Stuff

P3 Episode 5: Polanco the Top Prospect? Can Pirates Keep Winning? Mark Melancon Interview

6 Bucs Dugout

Pittsburgh Pirates Should Consider Trading Closer Jason Grilli

13 Call to the Pen

Francisco Liriano Dramatically Rejuvented

14 IS Sports

Top 25 pitchers in baseball

15 Sweetspot

Five things to watch this weekend

16 CBS Sports

Pirates Vs Brewers Game Preview

Which bullpens have been worked the hardest in 2013?

17 The Republic

Pirates give tip of the Stetson to slugger Allie

18 PBC Site

Burnett outdueled by Estrada in opener

Notebook: New father Morton working hard on comeback trail

SPORTS WEBSITES

19 Baseball Prospectus

The Longest Plate Appearance(s) of the Week, 5/24

20 Fangraphs

The Pirates’ New McCutchen

Rocky Top Osborne Brothers 1967 If you ever attended a University of Tennessee game you have heard this song. The Osborne Brothers first recorded it and took it to number 33 on the country chart. In 1970 Lynn Anderson took it number 17 on the country chart.

Baseball links to occupy your mind until game time

5. cmat0829 says:

Playoffs by 2012 says:
    May 25, 2013 at 11:09 am <Need one of you to re-post this in today's game thread for me. Thanks in advance.

SATURDAY LINE

Max “wager” is 100 units on any single line.
    All “wagers” must be in multiples of 5 units.
    Play as few or as many lines as you’d like.
    As always, this is for fun and entertainment purposes.

Total Combined HITS + WALKS + HIT BY PITCH for Andrew McCutchen in today’s game
    Line is 2.5

GOOD LUCK and THANKS!!!

6. cmat0829 says:

I will take OVER for 100 please.

Thanks, cmat. I was going to do this, but had to run dreaded errands……..

As Playoffs would say………… YOU ROCK !!!! ;)

8. Chuck H says:

Is Locke going to fare any better against the Brewers in Miller Park? He could probably pitch a no hitter and still have a tie game. Don’t they have blackboard sessions, discussing these no-name , high ERA pitchers that the Pirates can’t hit against, and keep losing to?
    The rest of the league can hit them-why can’t the Bucs??

9. Tom P. says:

If you went to Vanderbilt in the early ’90′s like I did, you heard it a lot at football games too because Tennessee scored frequently. Vanderbilt wasn’t nearly as competitive as it is now.

10. JRay3 says:

Well good afternoon perfect day to reverse fortunes at Miller Park.

As for today’s line, when looking at Cutch in the 20 games played in May you will see he has gone over the number 7 times and under the number 13 times. So there is a little value in the under here today even with Fiers on the mound.

50 on the UNDER

thanks and Let’s Go Bucs!

11. Lad9 says:

Thanks CMAT for posting this. I will take 100 on the over please Playoffs. Expecting an offensive show tonight. Go Buccos!

100 nuke nuggets on the ovah

Thanks to all that make this happen

13. bman says:

@playoffs

I’ll take 100 on the UNDER

Quite true, Vandy was the northwestern of of the SEC, now both programs are more competitive.

15. blazer says:

Clutch has a good average against this guy so 100 on the over.

16. John Lease says:

Today is a new day. Maybe this will light their fire?

17. radio wave says:

At playoffs: I will take 75 on the over.

18. JRay3 says:

More tough news for Jeff Karstens with another setback, really too bad as I have been pulling for him and when healthy always felt he was a fine back end of the rotation starter. Appears that NH knew what he had when dealing in the offseason with Jeff. At this point he may just be end of the year help if he can ever get his arm healthy.

Further proof of why the need to have more than five capable starters. At this point Morton and Cole (provided he can get some consistently going in Indy) appear to be the best bets to be only true help there is. Irwin has arm problems suffered immediately after his one MLB start, McPherson is losing a large chunk of another season due to injury putting more of an onus on current staff staying healthy and sharp.

Nice to see our top bats in the system seem to be doing very well, Polanco, Hanson, Bell all having good seasons down on the farm and Tony Sanchez having his most productive hitting year yet at AAA, giving hope he still maybe able to take on the future C role. Throw in Stetson Allie hitting .345 with a bunch of power in low A which gives another intriguing guy to keep an eye on.

19. Joey Mellons says:

100 on the under. Thanks.

20. Dadtackular says:

100 on the under

21. OZ says:

100 under, thx

Mr. Playoffs…………….

Continuing my “minimalist” weekend, I would like 5, yes 5 bbaby Hippo on the UNDER.
    Thanks.

23. Cole pitched much better last night. Only 3 hits and 2 runs over 6, throwing 97 pitches. He walked 3 and fanned 4, so a little more efficient.

Taillon, on the other hand threw 5 innings, 98 pitches, 5 hits, 3 walks, 6 K’s

Is it me, or do more pitchers in the Pirate system get injured?

Dont know if it is training, development, or just bad luck.

Just seems that the # of injuries for this organization is high.

25. cherokee23 says:

100 under

26. Has been for a while. They started limiting their pitch counts in the early years of development, but it only seems to help for a while, not long-term.

Yunz bring home a W this afternoon. My son invited me to sit in the company box at a Low-A game in Bowling Green. I’ll check in with y’all later on.

27. We’re 2 miles from the Tennessee border here. Don’t care if I ever hear that song again.

Enjoy!

I have to ask………… does BOWLING Green have a lot of bowling alleys??? ;)

29. JRay3 says:

And Cutch belts a liner over the LF wall as he continues his torrid pace off Fiers, now for the rest of the team to follow suit. Offense has got to start putting some runs on the board.

30. I’m not sure. Never looked. They do bowl on the green.

:D

31. JRay3 says:

El Toro clears the RF wall for his 9th HR of year a two run shot and good guys lead 3-0. Really like how aggressive he was swinging on the 3-0 and 3-1 pitch with authority.

32. Ghost says:

To 21sthebest from this morning’s thread,
    I don’t know which of your statements was more preposterous and mindless: “That’s baseball,” or “you’re playing the martyr card.” To the latter, nice. Try and make it personal to divert attention from the utter lack of substance of the former. “That’s baseball” doesn’t mean anything. Teams with 100+ loss seasons also happen so, yeah, I guess that makes them part of “baseball” too. A 100-loss season is shameful. Zach Duke not retaliating when the Dodgers beaned Andrew McCutchen a few years back was shameful. And this year’s Pirates not supporting A.J. when he pitches his butt off — that’s shameful. If you asked the players themselves, I am positive they agree. Still, they keep doing it and it has to stop. We’re not talking one game or two games. We’re talking virtually every time he starts this season. Oh, and your posts 21 — particularly the “martyr card” one — they’re shameful.

33. JRay3 says:

Jeff Locke seems to be able to pinpoint the ball down and in on the right handed batters today, locking them up. So far so good through 2 as he has three K’s and lowers his ERA to 2.63, who saw this coming?

34. JRay3 says:

Marte on the base paths just a joy to watch, easily swipes second base and advances to third on poor Lucroy throw putting him in scoring position. Already 12 SB’s on the year for Starling.

35. Ghost says:

It depends on how far back you want to go. I cannot say I saw him being *this* good, but I liked him coming out of ST having beaten Kyle McPherson fair and square and really only having had that one off outing against the Bosox way back in the beginning of ST.

36. JRay3 says:

Great stat on Pirate telecast, Cutch first Pirate to hit three HR’s in three straight AB’s against a pitcher since Barry Bonds in ’91 against Jamie Moyer.

I love how much Bob Walk loves to point out the flaws of players on the Brewers. Weeks seems to be his favorite target. (With more than enough reasons)

Like I said last week the Brewers have to lead the league in boneheaded plays

Don’t you think the players try their best no matter who is on the mound for their team ? If they didn’t that would be “shameful”

But I don’t think that is the case on this team

“That’s baseball” doesn’t mean anything. ”

Sure it does. Sometimes there’s coincidence or bad luck or whatever you want to call it, IMO. Sometimes a pitcher has the bad luck of not receiving run support. That’s a part of baseball. Another instance when I’d say, “that’s baseball” would be when a hitter experiences hitting balls well but right at fielders. Or hitters hitting seeing eye singles.

My martyr comment was in response to you saying this: “Why did I just know someone would have to jump in and disagree because I used the word “ashamed?”

It’s like you were looking for an argument.

“A 100-loss season is shameful.”

Agree.

“Zach Duke not retaliating when the Dodgers beaned Andrew McCutchen a few years back was shameful. ”

Disagree.

“And this year’s Pirates not supporting A.J. when he pitches his butt off — that’s shameful.:

Disagree. That’s just how baseball goes sometimes. I can keep repeating my opinion as often as you are repeating yours.

“If you asked the players themselves, I am positive they agree. ”

Yes, I would expect the players to take the high road. But I’d disagree that they should feel ashamed.

You called my posts inane. Do you think that’s shameful to say? And why exactly are my posts shameful? Seems like I just disagreed with you.

40. Ghost says:

Thunder,
    I don’t claim to know in this case. But what I am concerned is that they possibly might be letting up (subconsciously) when it’s A.J.(??) Surely, it’s not intentional. Losing so much in Milwaukee in recent years isn’t intentional either. But humans get into ruts. The guys have to fight their way out of this, though. A.J. deserves better.

41. JRay3 says:

Walker just crushes a ball to right second deck for his second HR of the season, and he is now 4-6 in this series thus far, certainly seems to be heating up.

Looks like Walker is getting his timing back. That was a shot.

43. Ghost says:

“It’s like you were looking for an argument.”
    Definitely was not in search of an argument. But won’t shrink from one now that you’ve picked it. The “martyr” remark remains ridiculous. I only mentioned that I knew someone would challenge me because I started gettin this sneaking suspicion that ‘somebody’ would take offense to my mention of ‘shame.’ You won the booby prize, 21.
    And “That’s baseball” still doesn’t mean anything. All kinds of things happen in baseball. Some of them magical, and sometimes some of them are shameful. Just because they happen, in baseball, doesn’t excuse it. The ones I mentioned above. Some more would be: not running out a ground ball, hurting your teammate because you ran into him when he had called you off, showboating a homerun when you’re a .230 hitting nobody rookie. Just because something “happens,” doesn’t mean it should be tolerated. “Excuses and bad luck” don’t always explain or… excuse… everything. Excuses are for losers. The Pirates want to be winners and should figure out how to get runs for A.J. But feel free to excuse away if that is how you are.

44. JRay3 says:

Locke just making the Brewers look silly- through 4 IP just 2 H and 6 K’s with two caught looking. Has lowered ERA to 2.54 and is on track to give the Pirates another deeper start to follow-up the seven thrown by AJ yesterday.

Matt Moore is pitching another gem, but Tampa Bay is losing 1-0.

The Rays’ batters should be ashamed.

I should be ashamed also.

This Hippo broke his diet today.

“The “martyr” remark remains ridiculous. ”

Just my opinion. And I didn’t take offense to your mention of shame. I just disagreed with it.

“And “That’s baseball” still doesn’t mean anything. ”

To you. To me that’s a catch phrase for bad luck or coincidence. I hear people use that phrase often. My son says his coach says that often.

“Just because something “happens,” doesn’t mean it should be tolerated.”

Yeah no kidding. I feel the same way you do about some of those things like not running out a ground ball or showboating.

“Excuses are for losers.”

Agreed. One of my favorite quotes is, “Man fails many times but he isn’t a failure until he blames others.”-Steve Prefontaine

I’m not making excuses for the team not giving A.J. better run support. I disagree with your position on this issue. I just think it’s bad luck. Same as it is currently for Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Clayton Kershaw, or Felix Hernandez the year he won the Cy Young.

I have no clue how he is. But at least he knows that paragraph breaks are his friends.

Ours, too.

That is the way they are supposed to feel. It’s baseball.

:-)

That’s what weekends are for tpw.

52. Ghost says:

I’ll even go as far to say that even if it it IS just bad luck, that still is not an excuse. Winners just get it done. But as I explained to Thunder above, the continual occurrence of particularly poor run support when A.J. pitches points to more than just plain ol’ luck. It’s become a continual pattern. Patterns can be explained. Not that I claim to know exactly what is going on in this case, but what I suspect is that when A.J. — the elder statesman on this team — takes the mound, and puts out his usual stellar performance, subconsciously the players relax.
    But whatever it is that is going on, it has to stop. It IS a shame / shameful that they continually fail to give him run support.

53. JRay3 says:

Can’t hit a spot any better than what Locke just did to Aoki and has been doing all day. Has frozen Braun, stunned Weekes and frustrated Aoki during the course of his seven punch outs thus far. Five shutout innings in the book.

I agree with Aoki there. I think Locke got a call.

Should anyone involved be ashamed? ;)

“Winners just get it done.”

I think playing .604 ball right now is getting it done and I bet A.J. is a team player first and foremost. Do you think A.J. thinks the players should be ashamed? You said you think the players would say they are ashamed. Do you think A.J. would agree with that?

I don’t think the players subconsciously relax. I don’t think it’s shameful either.

57. Patrick(ri) says:

kyLuck’s “Absolute Locke” is looking like a very apt description.

58. Ghost says:

I do try to put in paragraph breaks. I swear. But there must be some super special sequence beyond just hitting the “enter” key — one which I am not privy to — but which drops the input down to a new paragraph.

Not that I’m making excuses…

(Hey, did that work???)

Thanks.

Live for the weekend!

60. Patrick(ri) says:

luckyNKentucky, of course, is who I cited.

Nah. Bad calls by the ump are a part of the game. That’s baseball.

62. Ghost says:

Does A.J. think the players should be “ashamed?” You would have to ask him that. And you would have to ask him in private because there is no way a guy like A.J. would throw his teammates under the bus. But he is a competitor and you can be sure that deep down his lack of run support p _ sses him off.

“I don’t think the players subconsciously relax.”
    I don’t claim to know that. I only hazarded a guess. You’re free to not think so. But the “luck” explanation doesn’t cut it.

63. Patrick(ri) says:

Curses, we have RISP!

64. JRay3 says:

Pitch trax seemed to indicate it hit the bottom outside corner of the zone.

Double play ball by Barmes makes me feel mad & sad.

That’s baseball.

66. Bob Hasis says:

So freakin’ predictable of Barmes.

There was another chance for CH to exercise managerial excellence – and failed.

Remember Snider’s blast the other day

67. Ghost says:

“The Rays’ batters should be ashamed.”
    Get back to us if they keep this up with Moore for ten starts in a row. One start? 21 can go ahead and call it “luck.”

I agree that A.J. wouldn’t throw his teammates under the bus. And it that same vein, I think the players would take the high road and take responsbility for not scoring more runs for A.J.

“But the “luck” explanation doesn’t cut it.”

It’s just my opinion but why doesn’t it cut it in your opinion? Every year there are a lot of pitchers that get lousy run support. Every year.

Excuses are for losers

I read that somewhere. Recently

Amen.

I don’t need someone to tell me what to say, thank you very much.

72. Ghost says:

Maybe some clever graduate student can write his/her doctoral thesis on what is going on when this happens. Myself, I would start out by looking into whether there is, in fact, any mental let up going on when a team’s ace / leader is pitching the game. But as I said above, in A.J.’s particular starts this yea,r we have seen too many of these games to simply ascribe it too “luck.” It’s a pattern that has emerged.

73. JRay3 says:

In all fairness with a four run lead he may just want to keep his best defensive unit out there. Offense has not been an issue today.

Wow.

75. JRay3 says:

Tip of the hat to Jeff Locke – six innings just three hits allowed, seven K’s and now a 14 inning scoreless inning streak still going. Most importantly did so against an opposition that has given the team fits.

76. Ghost says:

Yes, yes, I know. I left that hanging precisely to point out the irony (hypocrisy) I was making. Let me add this, ;) , since I forgot to above. ;) ;)

77. Ghost says:

Otay. And +1

78. Tom P. says:

Lucky, Do you live near Bowling Green? I drove through there between Pennsylvania and Nashville in my school days.

79. Ghost says:

Shouldn’t you be preparing to go vertical (or horizontal) on the Miller Park flag pole again?

Maybe some clever masters student in psychology can look into whether or not there’s a mental let up (or let down?) when A.J. pitches?

Talk about a complete turnaround.
    He is doing extremely well this year.

Nothing to be ashamed of here. ;) Its baseball. ;)

What?

I agree JRay. If Locke is going against the opponent’s 4th or 5th starter I feel good that we’ll be in the game.

84. Ghost says:

Not you. Plan.

Oh I am ready Ghost.
    Just having a little fun in the room today………… couldnt tell if violence was gonna break out earlier…………. ;)

Besides, last time I climbed, and bent the pole, I was killed. ;)

86. Ghost says:

And I gave you mouth-to-mouth, just to have you LAUGH IN MY FACE. See if I’m willing to get a mouthful of mud and half-regurgitated grass for you TODAY, when the angry villagers close in on you.
    (But I’m a cheap date. Say something funny and I’ll be there after all.)

87. Bob Hasis says:

A 4-run lead in this park is akin to a 4-run lead at Wrigley with the wind blowing out, IMO.
    Has it already been concluded what is our “best defense”?

Well, I guess its baseball after all. ;)

89. Ghost says:

Let “down.”

BTW………. + many for this !!!

91. Ghost says:

Seeing 21 befuddled at 6:19 was its own reward.

92. JRay3 says:

A four run lead with Melancon and Grilli is as close a lock as there is in baseball, yes it has been determined by management and the manager that Barmes is the best defensive SS on the team as currently constructed.

That is not going to change unless the team makes another move.

1-2-3 by Melancon !

11 pitch inning by Melancholy.

95. JRay3 says:

Melancon does what he has all year, shutdown 8th as he gets top of Brewers in order….on to the ninth we go, Buccos with 4-1 lead.

I hope he isn’t too tired

Did his arm fall off yet? ;)

And Pedro screws up Cheesy’s save opp.

99. JRay3 says:

Alvarez with a towering shot, two homer day for Alvarez who now has 10 HR’s on the year to go with 25 RBI’s. His bat’s power and potential can carry a team when it gets going.

This winning is gonna kill them.

Marte and Snider 0-9. Lots of bad things in this game. Oh well. Maybe we’ll get them tomorrow.

Who feels worse Pedro, Grilli, or AJ?

104. Ghost says:

Right about now, Melancon for giving up that HR. But A.J. can still feel bummed if he wants.

No long losing streaks

A wise man said that once. Good thing I am a Hippo. ;)

107. JRay3 says:

Behind a shut down performance from Jeff Locke and the power bat of Pedro Alvarez the Bucs take the middle game of the three game series in Milwaukee sinking the Brewers 5-2 and there was noooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win the Pirates return to a season best 11 above .500 at 30-19. The Pirates improve to 5-4 against Milwaukee this season and have a chance to win their fifth consecutive series tomorrow afternoon when Wandy Rodriguez takes the mound for the Bucs.

Let’s Go Bucs!

I’m confused.

Am I supposed to write They Should Be Ashamed or That’s Baseball.

or Apologize.

Dejan predicted that.

Apologize for being Ashamed because That’s Baseball. :)

112. Ghost says:

Are you back from your pole dancing? Or waiting for an escort?

Its being protected by angry people with torches.

I will wait til they sleep, then climb!

Well he’s befuddled again.

115. Ghost says:

Sounds like a workable plan.

yes I am. ;)

117. 60 miles from there.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back